The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Check this out!! GC.com makes the scientific journals!! I wonder if any of my TB's have gotten the Swine Flu... :huh:

I've moved a couple of Piglet-doll TB's in past years -- but the next time I see one I'll be sure to scrub with hand sanitizer afterwards!

Imagine, flux density and Brownian Motion for TBs. Wonder how much

grant money was applied to that TB-tracking study?

Also I note that the study does not take into account false TB tracks

associated with Stargate Geocaches where TBs are merely logged into

a multitude of worldwide Geocaches while actually reposing for months

in a so-called Stargate cache?

Aw shucks ...

09ca5859-571b-47ef-8f81-481179f2e5b1.jpg

It's all broken.

Oh, the swagmanity! All the cachers screaming around here. I told you, I can't even talk to people whose travel bugs were in there. Ah! It's–it's–it's–it's ... o–ohhh! I–I can't talk, ladies and gentlemen. Honest, it's just laying there, a mass of smoking wreckage. I, listen, folks, I–I'm gonna have to stop for a minute because I've lost my voice. This is the worst thing I've ever witnessed..

Aw shucks ...

It's all broken.

Oh, the swagmanity! All the cachers screaming around here. I told you, I can't even talk to people whose travel bugs were in there. Ah! It's–it's–it's–it's ... o–ohhh! I–I can't talk, ladies and gentlemen. Honest, it's just laying there, a mass of smoking wreckage. I, listen, folks, I–I'm gonna have to stop for a minute because I've lost my voice. This is the worst thing I've ever witnessed..

icon_needsmaint.gif It appears that this cache may be under the weather. When you get a chance, please check on this cache and perform any necessary maintenance. Thanks.

New cache. Size: Extra Large. Difficulty: 5.

fff30c07-aabb-4890-bd3f-c4204c38b180.jpg

Aw shucks ...

It's all broken.

That's what happens when you screw it to a telephone pole. ;):):rolleyes:

See all those little white specks? Yeah ... that's what's left of the logsheet.

Of course this opens up a spot for a new hide, how about in the old car?

Hmm, can we get fries with that Maverick?

Yea and you could call it Cache For Clunkers. :D:D

Anybody who hasn't done it interested in the Palomar Divide Truck Trail next week? Or any other not-too-tough four wheel drive routes? I am recovering from surgery and have a post-op shoe on my left foot. Would love to get someone wiith two good feet to cache with off road. I put the top and the doors back on the Jeep and even put the back seat in. It's supposed to be record heat but my AC works great.

I'll provide transportation but am seriously limited in bipedal mobility for a while. Would also welcome other vehicles for a cache run.

The one legged cacher for a while,

Barry

Aw shucks ...

It's all broken.

93f2ec10-a945-4b85-ab93-46b5f7f75d37.jpg

Aw shucks ...

It's all broken.

93f2ec10-a945-4b85-ab93-46b5f7f75d37.jpg

At last! ... a Bison in a bush that you don't have to search for.

And a self-extracting logsheet ... what will they think of next?

7aa9b175-b126-44ba-b920-1b984838f327.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

Anybody who hasn't done it interested in the Palomar Divide Truck Trail next week? Or any other not-too-tough four wheel drive routes? I am recovering from surgery and have a post-op shoe on my left foot. Would love to get someone wiith two good feet to cache with off road. I put the top and the doors back on the Jeep and even put the back seat in. It's supposed to be record heat but my AC works great.

I'll provide transportation but am seriously limited in bipedal mobility for a while. Would also welcome other vehicles for a cache run.

Barry

It doesn't have to be a 4WD route. I'll provide transportation for anyone wanting to do a day cache route who has two good feet...

Barry

It doesn't have to be a 4WD route. I'll provide transportation for anyone wanting to do a day cache route who has two good feet...

What date/day of the week were you looking at? I might be interested if it is Monday the 21st {my day off}. Would be in my own truck, need to try it out again after some repairs/modifications; so that would be another seat for anyone that normally doesn't get a chance at the 4x4 cache trails. Also, it might be a good idea to move this over to San Diego Cache Events section?

:laughing: Anyone recognize this? :laughing: I was walking back from "Gentle Waters" (GC1F7AG) when I looked down and saw the remains of a cache lying in the dirt. It was a nice magnetic Altoids tin once about a time. It seems vaguely familiar like a cache that I have found before. The pencil looks like one that I sometimes leave in caches...but that said, my logs don't show that I found a cache like this anywhere in the area.

c458534f-8b13-4aee-8265-d636f9a26827.jpg

4b7d6776-b161-4490-853f-b5f8b79386a6.jpg

I saw this and thought I'd pass it along in case anyone wanted to give back...

You can download a flyer here: http://www.carlsbadca.gov/services/departm.../NPLD_FL_09.pdf

National Public Lands Day

Saturday, Sept. 26, 2009

8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

Lake Calavera

Come to this open space & trail clean-up as part of National Public Lands Day, the nation’s largest hands-on volunteer effort to improve and enhance the public lands Americans enjoy.

Water, snacks, and trash bags will be provided. Please wear hiking shoes, work gloves, a hat, and sunscreen.

Work will include:

o

installation of trail signage

o

removal of invasive plants

o

minor trail erosion improvements.

Parking is available at Calavera Hills Elementary School, 4100 Tamarack Ave. Exit I-5 on CarlsbadVillage Drive. Proceed east, across El Camino Real, to College Blvd. Turn left on College and right onTamarack. School will be on the left.

You can download a flyer here: http://www.carlsbadca.gov/services/departm.../NPLD_FL_09.pdf

Saturday, Sept. 26, 2009

Lake Calavera

Come to this open space & trail clean-up as part of National Public Lands Day, the nation's largest hands-on volunteer effort to improve and enhance the public lands Americans enjoy.

Water, snacks, and trash bags will be provided. Please wear hiking shoes, work gloves, a hat, and sunscreen.

Work will include:

o

installation of trail signage

o

removal of invasive plants

o

minor trail erosion improvements.

Parking is available at Calavera Hills Elementary School, 4100 Tamarack Ave. Exit I-5 on CarlsbadVillage Drive. Proceed east, across El Camino Real, to College Blvd. Turn left on College and right onTamarack. School will be on the left.

:o How many caches will be missing the next day?

Saturday, Sept. 26, 2009

Lake Calavera

Come to this open space & trail clean-up as part of National Public Lands Day, the nation's largest hands-on volunteer effort to improve and enhance the public lands Americans enjoy.

Work will include:

o installation of trail signage

o removal of invasive plants

o minor trail erosion improvements.

:o How many caches will be missing the next day?

Perhaps that's another reason to go help! :unsure:

Of course, if J&J were involved, I'm certain that there'd be a few extra caches in the area once the day was done...

OMG, the latest episode of Law and Order features a really lame couple of geocachers who discover a dead body trying for a FTF in the subways of NYC. I can't begin to describe how pathetic these two guys are and it just gets worse from there... :drama::):D That show has it in for us. The last time they used geocaching the cops were holding the GPSr upside down and they tracked down a cache that was buried in the woods and they proceeded to dig up an area the size of my living room to find it. Yikes!!

OMG, the latest episode of Law and Order features a really lame couple of geocachers who discover a dead body trying for a FTF in the subways of NYC. I can't begin to describe how pathetic these two guys are and it just gets worse from there... :drama::):D That show has it in for us. The last time they used geocaching the cops were holding the GPSr upside down and they tracked down a cache that was buried in the woods and they proceeded to dig up an area the size of my living room to find it. Yikes!!

After the first 60 seconds of the show, I was groaning, wondering why, oh why, does L&O have it in for geocachers! Why do they find it necessary to misrepresent us so? At least the cachers didn't have anything to do with the murder! I guess we should be thankful for that...

OMG, the latest episode of Law and Order features a really lame couple of geocachers who discover a dead body trying for a FTF in the subways of NYC. I can't begin to describe how pathetic these two guys are and it just gets worse from there... :):D:) That show has it in for us. The last time they used geocaching the cops were holding the GPSr upside down and they tracked down a cache that was buried in the woods and they proceeded to dig up an area the size of my living room to find it. Yikes!!

After the first 60 seconds of the show, I was groaning, wondering why, oh why, does L&O have it in for geocachers! Why do they find it necessary to misrepresent us so? At least the cachers didn't have anything to do with the murder! I guess we should be thankful for that...

No wait just a darned minute, how many of you have -

A. Hung a Bison tube in a huge bush?

B. Placed a container in rip-rap?

C. Hung a container on fishline?

D. Hidden one under a lamp-post skirt?

E. Put a hide in poison ivy?

G. Thought up stuff like the Dalmatian series?

H. Hidden caches on high mountain peaks?

I. Hidden M&M containers in storm drains?

Be honest, maybe a little Law & Order is in order here. :drama:

Edited by SD Rowdies

OMG, the latest episode of Law and Order features a really lame couple of geocachers who discover a dead body trying for a FTF in the subways of NYC. I can't begin to describe how pathetic these two guys are and it just gets worse from there... :):D:) That show has it in for us. The last time they used geocaching the cops were holding the GPSr upside down and they tracked down a cache that was buried in the woods and they proceeded to dig up an area the size of my living room to find it. Yikes!!

Be honset, maybe a little Law & Order is in order here. :drama:

Well, I'm guilty of point C., but I'm still learning. Right now I'm hoping to get point H taken care of; and I have someone special in mind, thanks for reminding me, ol' pal!

:) boysnbarrie

Be honest, maybe a little Law & Order is in order here. :drama:

Well, I'm guilty of point C., but I'm still learning. Right now I'm hoping to get point H taken care of; and I have someone special in mind, thanks for reminding me, ol' pal!

:blink: boysnbarrie

O no! ... not the H-factor all over again. :)

Don't be going up on tall mountains 'cause

you'll surely run into some of them dreaded

Lemurian rascals.

Edited by SD Rowdies

OMG, the latest episode of Law and Order features a really lame couple of geocachers who discover a dead body trying for a FTF in the subways of NYC. I can't begin to describe how pathetic these two guys are and it just gets worse from there... :lol::):anibad: That show has it in for us. The last time they used geocaching the cops were holding the GPSr upside down and they tracked down a cache that was buried in the woods and they proceeded to dig up an area the size of my living room to find it. Yikes!!

Here's a link to the clips on YouTube:

Just remember, Geocaching is not about the treasure... It's about the buzz you get being First To Find...

Edited by FlagMan

OMG, the latest episode of Law and Order features a really lame couple of geocachers who discover a dead body trying for a FTF in the subways of NYC. I can't begin to describe how pathetic these two guys are and it just gets worse from there... :):anibad::lol: That show has it in for us. The last time they used geocaching the cops were holding the GPSr upside down and they tracked down a cache that was buried in the woods and they proceeded to dig up an area the size of my living room to find it. Yikes!!

Just remember, Geocaching is not about the treasure... It's about the buzz you get being First To Find...

Remindeds me of the Harmon CeGrube daysFTF wars :lol: , and the Master Baiter must be related to HAZMAT. :D

OMG, the latest episode of Law and Order features a really lame couple of geocachers who discover a dead body trying for a FTF in the subways of NYC. I can't begin to describe how pathetic these two guys are and it just gets worse from there... :):anibad::lol: That show has it in for us. The last time they used geocaching the cops were holding the GPSr upside down and they tracked down a cache that was buried in the woods and they proceeded to dig up an area the size of my living room to find it. Yikes!!

Reminds me of the Harmon CeGrube days FTF wars :lol: , and the Master Baiter must be related to HAZMAT. :D

I'm so proud! ... but the part I've been missing out on is the

"treasure" part. Well, more or less, ... not counting the three PUD

cakes I've whined into existence. I'm th' Master PUD-Caker, YO!

Say, do you suppose that L&O would be interested in the San Diego

County Unbunched Sock Police? There's an episode for y', seriously,

there's your crime against humanity ... unbunched socks. Yuck!

Edited by SD Rowdies
Say, do you suppose that L&O would be interested in the San Diego

County Unbunched Sock Police? There's an episode for y', seriously,

there's your crime against humanity ... unbunched socks. Yuck!

00020423.gifNow that is one I'd like to watch 000203F7.gif

Thanks for your support.

be80c0c1-2f80-487e-8ff7-b5eb2f594eb5.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

Very interesting experience today. I had some extra time so I thought I'd grab a few caches in Lakeside. The first one I tried was DREDGING (GC1EKNW) on Vigilante. Got within 10 ft of GZ and saw what looked like a large zippered cell phone case hidden under a bush, so I pulled it out and opened it. YIKES!!! Full of hypodermic needles, little glass vials and little ziplocks, all full of 'stuff''. NOT THE CACHE! Called the Sheriff and found the real cache while I was waiting. A deputy came out, looked in what actually turned out to be a bicycle seat bag, and said, "Oh, my.".

Then the inevitable question... "What were you doing that caused you to find this?" I said, "Looking for a Geocache", expecting more serious questioning. His answer... "Oh, cool."

TNLNSL, TFTC

Very interesting experience today. I had some extra time so I thought I'd grab a few caches in Lakeside. The first one I tried was DREDGING (GC1EKNW) on Vigilante. Got within 10 ft of GZ and saw what looked like a large zippered cell phone case hidden under a bush, so I pulled it out and opened it. YIKES!!! Full of hypodermic needles, little glass vials and little ziplocks, all full of 'stuff''. NOT THE CACHE! Called the Sheriff and found the real cache while I was waiting. A deputy came out, looked in what actually turned out to be a bicycle seat bag, and said, "Oh, my.".

Then the inevitable question... "What were you doing that caused you to find this?" I said, "Looking for a Geocache", expecting more serious questioning. His answer... "Oh, cool."

That's the cool thing about caching. You discover all sorts of things that most people never get to see.

I think the most bizarre thing that I have ever found was a nun-shaped dildo.

If you get the chance, ask Blondes Run Amuck about what they found one day when they were caching... :D

(By the way, anyone know whether they ever identified the remains?)

That's the cool thing about caching. You discover all sorts of things that most people never get to see.

If you get the chance, ask Blondes Run Amuck about what they found one day when they were caching... :)

Speaking of bizarre things found while caching. I found a full set of women's clothing and a pair of fake silicone breasts in the bushes near Mt. Soledad. I don't think that beats the nun-shaped dildo however...

If you get the chance, ask Blondes Run Amuck about what they found one day when they were caching... :)

Speaking of bizarre things found while caching. I found a full set of women's clothing and a pair of fake silicone breasts in the bushes near Mt. Soledad. I don't think that beats the nun-shaped dildo however...

I swear I've never been to Mt. Soledad!! I didn't do it!! Nobody saw me!! You can't prove anything!!!

I swear I've never been to Mt. Soledad!! I didn't do it!! Nobody saw me!! You can't prove anything!!!

:) OhMYGosh! You found my missing clothes?

So you say, Mr. FlagMan...

...but we have cache logs that place you at Mt. Soledad on numerous occasions.

Care to reconsider your testimony?

So you say, Mr. FlagMan...

...but we have cache logs that place you at Mt. Soledad on numerous occasions.

Care to reconsider your testimony?

That Yrium 8.5 card was NOT me!!!

What exactly is a pair of "fake silicone breasts"? Are they real??? :)

pft....... Go drink your mead viking boy!

Triple Crown tipped me to some beta software that is available for the Garmin Oregon, Colorado and Dakota GPSrs. The new feature of this software is the ability upload a map image into your GPS have it displayed in the proper place on the screen.

To do this, you have to have the map in the form of a .JPG file. You use Google Earth to align the map to the proper geocoordinates and the map is saved as a .KMZ file. Download the file to your GPS and you are in business.

Details on the process can be found here: http://www.gpsfix.net/custom-raster-maps-g...akota-colorado/

Here are a couple of screen shots from my Oregon. The first shows a section of the MTRP trail map. In the right hand lower corner you can see my track from a couple of weeks ago when I ventured into the North 40.

To get the second screen shot, I did a screen grab from Google Earth and then aligned that image with Google Earth to be able to have photo imagery on my GPSr. It's not quite as good as actually just downloading the imaging from Google Earth but it's close...

1e6aaa8c-5da4-47ed-9d36-ebec1efa435a.jpg     dac43b5c-8249-48d6-855a-449bbaf0d9ef.jpg

Triple Crown tipped me to some beta software that is available for the Garmin Oregon, Colorado and Dakota GPSrs. The new feature of this software is the ability upload a map image into your GPS have it displayed in the proper place on the screen.

To do this, you have to have the map in the form of a .JPG file. You use Google Earth to align the map to the proper geocoordinates and the map is saved as a .KMZ file. Download the file to your GPS and you are in business.

Details on the process can be found here: http://www.gpsfix.net/custom-raster-maps-g...akota-colorado/

Here are a couple of screen shots from my Oregon. The first shows a section of the MTRP trail map. In the right hand lower corner you can see my track from a couple of weeks ago when I ventured into the North 40.

To get the second screen shot, I did a screen grab from Google Earth and then aligned that image with Google Earth to be able to have photo imagery on my GPSr. It's not quite as good as actually just downloading the imaging from Google Earth but it's close...

1e6aaa8c-5da4-47ed-9d36-ebec1efa435a.jpgdac43b5c-8249-48d6-855a-449bbaf0d9ef.jpg

:( You tech-ies are gonna lose out on the fun of just walking around aimlessly following the arrow. That's like having a chauffeur drive you around. ( ok..so I am jealous because I can't even get cachemate to hot-synch and I am not even paper-less yet, but still...this is too much!).

1e6aaa8c-5da4-47ed-9d36-ebec1efa435a.jpgdac43b5c-8249-48d6-855a-449bbaf0d9ef.jpg

:( You tech-ies are gonna lose out on the fun of just walking around aimlessly

following the arrow. That's like having a chauffeur drive you around. ( ok..so

I am jealous because I can't even get cachemate to hot-synch and I am not

even paper-less yet, but still...this is too much!).

So here's another idea for using the beta software, use Google Earth Street View

to spot actual hidey-holes and then capture and load the image into your Oregon

or Dakota. That way when you arrive at GZ you will have a picture of the actual

tree, bush, guard-rail, or LPC that the container is hidden in. Shazam, removes

all doubt and you'll never-more have t' "... expand the search area."

But seriously, what does it look like when you zoom way out? ... a rectangular

overlay pasted onto the normal map display?

Who would have thought that Jodi is a Luddite? When I consider her find-count

I wanna be a Luddite too. On the other hand it's bad enough having to be a

glossolalian.

Edited by SD Rowdies

"Who would have thought that Jodi is a Luddite? When I consider her find-count

I wanna be a Luddite too. On the other hand it's bad enough having to be a

glossolalian."

:( Are you picking on me Harmon?........you know what happens....do I need

to post a pic of my wheelbarrow here?

Jodi dear,

Huh? ... doesn't "Luddite" mean somebody that craves chocolate.

You remember, say it's so, I'll ride in your little green wheelbarrow

any day.

Edited by SD Rowdies

But seriously, what does it look like when you zoom way out? ... a rectangular

overlay pasted onto the normal map display?

Yes. Except it's a rectangular underlay pasted in front of the normal map background but behind the map objects (like streets and tracks and geocaches.)

You can see this if you look closely at the two pictures. Looking at the picture on the right, you can see the gray streets that are generated from the Garmin map data along with their labels. The imaged streets (and the houses) are from the Google Earth image. Note also that you can see one corner of the GoogleEarth image underlay. All of the area with the green background is the standard Garmin map display.

On the picture on the left, look at Highway 52. The double black lines are from the MTRP map. The red line (with the 52 in the circle) is from the Garmin map data. The white line that overlays the red line is my track from retrieving the Mizithra cache. (BTW, the green background on the MTRP map is really on the MTRP map. It is not the default green background from the Garmin map data even though it looks like it...)

By the way, I put all of this technology to the test on Saturday when I went out to the Cache Day event at Sycamore Canyon. I find that the Google Earth images don't have a lot of contrast and thus, then the bright sun is beaming down, it can be hard to spot the trails on the display. A different display (such as what the Colorado has) might give better results. Otherwise it might be a good idea to mark the trails on the overlay with a strong contrasting color.

I expect that using a map such as the MTRP map shown above would not have such a problem because the lines are already high contrast.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

If you get the chance, ask Blondes Run Amuck about what they found one day when they were caching... :P

Hey everyone!!! Just checkin in. Glad to see we have not been forgotten.....Now that we are off house arrest, we will be out and about caching again soon!! btw...THE REMAINS ARE STILL UNIDENTIFIED.

Still love this show!!