The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Thank you all for your kind words and sentiment.

My kids took the loss especially hard. I can't help but feel responsible for the pain in their heart. Mocha is doing surprisingly well; it helped that she got to see Ginger at the pet hospital when the staff rolled her out for us to see one last time. Mocha got up on her two hind legs and stretched her neck to see Ginger. I picked up Mocha and let her lick Ginger's face. I could see that Mocha knew her big sister wasn't coming home.

I've always liked this picture of Ginger. I took it at the now-archived Puppy Love, a cache I placed for Ginger for her 1-year birthday. The cache was on a ridgeline that heads out to the San Vicente Reservoir. It has great views of Lakeside, and on a clear day, you can see the ocean.

She truly was a man's best friend.

13967254-6c1c-4707-a4b9-425f0c8e1675.jpg

My kids took the loss especially hard. I can't help but feel responsible for the pain in their heart. Mocha is doing surprisingly well; it helped that she got to see Ginger at the pet hospital when the staff rolled her out for us to see one last time. Mocha got up on her two hind legs and stretched her neck to see Ginger. I picked up Mocha and let her lick Ginger's face. I could see that Mocha knew her big sister wasn't coming home.

I've always liked this picture of Ginger. I took it at the now-archived Puppy Love, a cache I placed for Ginger for her 1-year birthday. The cache was on a ridgeline that heads out to the San Vicente Reservoir. It has great views of Lakeside, and on a clear day, you can see the ocean.

Chuy!,

I've lost dogs during my life and so know very well what such

a loss is for you and yours. In time Mocha will fill some of the

void but never replace the memories.

If I may and if you have the original of that photo I would be

pleased to Photoshop it for you ... kind of my tribute to dear

old Ginger!.

I count it one of my fond memories that Ginger! once honored

me with a good tongue-lickin'. Simply said, she was a beautiful

dog with an enviable enthusiasm for life.

Say, who has that Yrium uDesignit card anyway?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Being a member of the DAWG Team this is a hard loss cause I will miss having Ginger knocking me out of the way as she runs up and down the trails as we go looking for the next cache. The desert campouts and the night caching will never be the same.

I wish you and your family best wishs on your loss.

Chuy!,

old Ginger!.

I was wondering the same thing. Ginger would definitely make a great candidate!

Chuy!,

old Ginger!.

Thanks Harmon. Liked the Old Shelp quote.

The computer with the original pic crashed some time ago. The pic is the background photo on the archived webpage I posted; feel free copying it.

Thanks all for sharing your memories of her. I'm touched you remember her so vividly.

Chuy!,

old Ginger!.

Thanks Harmon. Liked the Old Shelp quote.

The computer with the original pic crashed some time ago. The pic is the background photo on the archived webpage I posted; feel free copying it.

Thanks all for sharing your memories of her. I'm touched you remember her so vividly.

:wub:

Just a heads up to everyone out there that knows Randy Thunder-4. Randy ended up in the hospital yesterday evening, and suddenly discovered that his kidney function has dropped to 5% of normal. He has undergone one dialysis treatment already and will have another treatment tomorrow and then again on Sunday. He will be facing the need for dialysis 3-times per week from now on, so needless to say this has been a life-changing revelation for him. He will be in Room 630 at Sharp Memorial Hospital on Frost Street (near Children's Hosp. in Kearney Mesa) until late Monday, and would welcome calls and visitors just about any time. The phone number is 858-939-3400 and just ask for Room 630. Feel free to call me at 858-335-9590 if you want more information. I saw him tonight, and his spirits are good (Randy has such an awesome attitude about everything). I'm planning to go back tomorrow with some comic books or something fun like that.

I got diagnosed with kidney failure five months ago but it feels like it's been much longer. It's been a strange journey with many ups and downs. I only have 2 months to go on dialysis.

My brother Dustin was the closest match and has been chosen to donate a kidney to me. He passed all tests with flying colors. Our surgery will be on October 21st at Sharp Memorial Hospital. I expect to be in the hospital for about a week. I'll be out of work for at least 8 weeks. My brother is expected to be in the hospital for 2 days and his recovery is 2 weeks.

The transplant, if successful will give me a better quality of life but I will have challenges for the rest of my life. I will not need dialysis anymore, but I will have a compromised immune system so I don't reject the new kidney. I still have a lot to learn but I do know that with a compromised immune system, a common cold could possibly send to to ICU.

Hmm, I wonder what my chances are to make it to 5000 finds by this date?

Just a heads up to everyone out there that knows Randy Thunder-4. Randy ended up in the hospital yesterday evening, and suddenly discovered that his kidney function has dropped to 5% of normal. He has undergone one dialysis treatment already and will have another treatment tomorrow and then again on Sunday. He will be facing the need for dialysis 3-times per week from now on, so needless to say this has been a life-changing revelation for him. He will be in Room 630 at Sharp Memorial Hospital on Frost Street (near Children's Hosp. in Kearney Mesa) until late Monday, and would welcome calls and visitors just about any time. The phone number is 858-939-3400 and just ask for Room 630. Feel free to call me at 858-335-9590 if you want more information. I saw him tonight, and his spirits are good (Randy has such an awesome attitude about everything). I'm planning to go back tomorrow with some comic books or something fun like that.

I got diagnosed with kidney failure five months ago but it feels like it's been much longer. It's been a strange journey with many ups and downs. I only have 2 months to go on dialysis.

My brother Dustin was the closest match and has been chosen to donate a kidney to me. He passed all tests with flying colors. Our surgery will be on October 21st at Sharp Memorial Hospital. I expect to be in the hospital for about a week. I'll be out of work for at least 8 weeks. My brother is expected to be in the hospital for 2 days and his recovery is 2 weeks.

The transplant, if successful will give me a better quality of life but I will have challenges for the rest of my life. I will not need dialysis anymore, but I will have a compromised immune system so I don't reject the new kidney. I still have a lot to learn but I do know that with a compromised immune system, a common cold could possibly send to to ICU.

We wish you and your brother the very best with the surgery and recovery!

As for getting 494 finds in 57 days, we say GO FOR IT!!! :P:ph34r::o

Randy, I should have invited you on our Ojai trip. You can easily do 200 caches in a day up there without breaking a sweat. I know you guys will do fine. Cya,

D!

Randy, I should have invited you on our Ojai trip. You can easily do 200 caches in a day up there without breaking a sweat. I know you guys will do fine. Cya,

D!

Hey Randy - that's less than 10 a day. Piece of cake!

Man, what a roller coaster its been for you!! Glad you found a donor and are scheduled for surgery. I bet you won't have any trouble finding people to go numbers caching with you if that's what you want. Just let me know and I'll go with you. Four or five trips and you're there!!

Man, what a roller coaster its been for you!! Glad you found a donor and are scheduled for surgery. I bet you won't have any trouble finding people to go numbers caching with you if that's what you want. Just let me know and I'll go with you. Four or five trips and you're there!!

Good luck my friend! Your brother has your back for sure!

Edited by map4navigation

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::D:(:(

I thought those of you who know Snake & Rooster would want to know that their Golden

Retriever "Murphy" lost his long battle with cancer today. They have been taking care of

him for six months or more with a variety of treatments, but it finally got the best of him

and they took him in today. This is about a year from the date they lost Murphy's companion,

"Casey." So keep them in your thoughts and maybe send a message if you like.

It's been a hard season for man's best friend.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Hey...........I just saw Nancy.........er Lulu499.........on the geocaching banner! She was standing on top of Potato Chip Rock on Mt. Woodson...................COOL! :P:lol:

Splashette :lol:

Yeah, go back to post 14142... Post 14142

Hey Tom -- Did you want Post # 14148 Post 14148 :ph34r::lol::P

Good point... But I'll leave it to Harmon to say what I'm thinking right now... :)

Um ... er ... uh ... shucks, I'm speachless.

:ph34r: I'm sorry to hear about Murphy. This has been a tough summer for our "cacher's best friends"

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of our friends who've lost their companions this year. :lol:

Our thoughts are with you.

Ditto. It's been a rough year for dogs. Our cairn terrier is 14 and is going downhill fast. It's really tough watching it happen, but we wouldn't trade in those 14 years for anything....

:ph34r: I'm sorry to hear about Murphy. This has been a tough summer for our "cacher's best friends"

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of our friends who've lost their companions this year. :lol:

Ditto. It's been a rough year for dogs. Our cairn terrier is 14 and is going downhill fast. It's really tough watching it happen, but we wouldn't trade in those 14 years for anything....

Peace to all of our pets!

Peace to all of our pets!

Sorry to hear about Murphy. RIP geo-dogs.

Edited by SD-Weiss

:unsure:;):D:lol::D:(:(:(:(

I thought those of you who know Snake & Rooster would want to know that their Golden

Retriever "Murphy" lost his long battle with cancer today. They have been taking care of

him for six months or more with a variety of treatments, but it finally got the best of him

and they took him in today. This is about a year from the date they lost Murphy's companion,

"Casey." So keep them in your thoughts and maybe send a message if you like.

It's been a hard season for man's best friend.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I'm so sorry to hear about Murphy. That's very sad news!!!! My thoughts are with you both. :( !!!

Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about!!!!! Extreme Caching

THIS WEBSITE IS AWESOME. WONDER HOW LONG TILL THERE'S A CACHE FROM SAN DIEGO ON ONE OF THE CACHE LISTS.

I'm not sure I know of any that would qualify in San Diego. I know of some in NY & NJ...

"Adrenaline" isn't xTreme, but perhaps somewhat daring. ... you know, for old guys.

No, wait, that one that Passing Wind and D-Jollymon were flushed out of during the

rainstorm. You should recall that one FlagMan. Of course it was seasonally xTreme.

Edited by SD Rowdies

THIS WEBSITE IS AWESOME. WONDER HOW LONG TILL THERE'S A CACHE FROM SAN DIEGO ON ONE OF THE CACHE LISTS.

I'm not sure I know of any that would qualify in San Diego. I know of some in NY & NJ...

"Adrenaline" isn't xTreme, but perhaps somewhat daring. ... you know, for old guys.

No, wait, that one that Passing Wind and D-Jollymon were flushed out of during the

rainstorm. You should recall that one FlagMan. Of course it was seasonally xTreme.

Just finished looking at a few of the caches on the Extreme Caching site..Gonna need to shed alot of lbs and start lifting weights...Gotta learn how to use ropes etc...Mrs.K isn't too excited about the training we will need...gonna think about this some more

Just finished looking at a few of the caches on the Extreme Caching site..Gonna need to shed alot of lbs and start lifting weights...Gotta learn how to use ropes etc...Mrs.K isn't too excited about the training we will need...gonna think about this some more

If you go maybe I can get my dad to go. I have always wanted to propel or climb for a cache or even wade across a stream. Doesn't matter. Anything exciting.

:) I'm trying to think up a comment that might get me outta the dog house I ended up in yesterday. Uh, let's see ...

Hey, I bet Triple Crown, Harmon, and FlagMan could handle these EXTREME Caches! Some of San Diego's best ... no question! Oh, yeah.

(whew! that outta do it.) :blink:

You tryin' to get rid of us girl?

Crazy thing is, you're probably right ... including a few others I could name.

In my own case it might have t' be xTreme for seniors.

Ah yes, the good old days of drain and culvert caching. I wound up with the

flesh on my right wrist being eaten away for months by what the doctors

called an "atypical biological agent." That meant that they didn't know what

was eating my flesh. I don't know about you but when I heard that term it

really got my attention.

Toward the end of my many experimental treatments there were five derma-

tologists on the case. Midway through the treatment the senior dermatologist

said to me "Don't worry, we'll figure this out." Comforting.

The best part was that one of the prescriptions that they tried on me cost

$770.00 for fourteen pills but the doctor waived the fee because it was

experimental. O yeah, lots of biopsy gouges too. They even brought in an

intern dermatologists to practice on me. That was really special.

The problem healed if you can call it that. Want to see a picture of my right

wrist? ... xTreme dude, what if it had happened on a different body part?

Yikes!

Edited by SD Rowdies

Here's the 'before you go' companion site. :blink::):cry:

Before You Go

1ce21b5b-a99e-4ca3-ac24-1ca0b78ee641.jpg

In a related matter, growing old has the side effect of losing a lot of your

friends and relatives to the Grim Reaper. Some time ago I hit on the idea

of taking my GPS receiver along to determine waypoints for gravesites.

Before you reject that idea as crazy, give it some thought, being able to

furnish coordinates to gravesites within large cemeteries is pretty useful.

"Aunt Ila May? ... shore, you can find her at N32 47.277 W116 54.438."

Edited by SD Rowdies

:cry: I'm trying to think up a comment that might get me outta the dog house I ended up in yesterday. Uh, let's see ...

Hey, I bet Triple Crown, Harmon, and FlagMan could handle these EXTREME Caches! Some of San Diego's best ... no question! Oh, yeah.

(whew! that outta do it.) :blink:

You tryin' to get rid of us girl?

Crazy thing is, you're probably right ... including a few others I could name.

In my own case it might have t' be xTreme for seniors.

Ah yes, the good old days of drain and culvert caching. I wound up with the

flesh on my right wrist being eaten away for months by what the doctors

called an "atypical biological agent." That meant that they didn't know what

was eating my flesh. I don't know about you but when I heard that term it

really got my attention.

Toward the end of my many experimental treatments there were five derma-

tologists on the case. Midway through the treatment the senior dermatologist

said to me "Don't worry, we'll figure this out." Comforting.

The best part was that one of the prescriptions that they tried on me cost

$770.00 for fourteen pills but the doctor waived the fee because it was

experimental. O yeah, lots of biopsy gouges too. They even brought in an

intern dermatologists to practice on me. That was really special.

The problem healed if you can call it that. Want to see a picture of my right

wrist? ... xTreme dude, what if it had happened on a different body part?

Yikes!

:):):)

:) THAT - A - BOY

LET HER HAVE IT HARMON !!!!!

:cry: FATTBOY :)

Before You Go

Hey Harmon I've been doing that for 9 years now all the way back to my great grandparents.

Luckly they're all in San Bernardino county

Before You Go

Hey Harmon I've been doing that for 9 years now all the way back to my great grandparents.

Luckly they're all in San Bernardino county

Well, there goes my patent application. Great minds think alike?

So Barrie dear, there's something that I've wondered

about all my life.

When you bake a PUD cake do you bake it upside down or do you turn

it over after baking?

Seems like it would run all over if you try to bake it upside down.

Otherwise it seems like it would be hard to get the pineapple and

cherries under it before flipping it over.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Too all who have lost a geo-pet please read below

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

about all my life.

it over after baking?

My dear friend, Harmon ... I am so glad that I get an opportunity to put your age ol' questions to rest. Here are my answers:

No, neither the PUD cake nor I are upside down while it's baking.

Yes, I turn the cake upside down after baking it.

It seems to me, dear Harmon, that you're long overdue for a PUD cake. Would you like me to bake you a ... :blink: HOLD ON HERE A MINUTE! WOAH!! Are you sending me some o' them thar subliminal messages? Ur up to something AGAIN, aint cha?

:) Y'almost got yerself a free PUD cake outta me.

about all my life.

it over after baking?

My dear friend, Harmon ... I am so glad that I get an opportunity

to put your age ol' questions to rest. Here are my answers:

No, neither the PUD cake nor I are upside down while it's baking.

Yes, I turn the cake upside down after baking it.

It seems to me, dear Harmon, that you're long overdue for a PUD

cake. Would you like me to bake you a ... :blink: HOLD ON HERE A

MINUTE! WOAH!! Are you sending me some o' them thar subliminal

messages? Ur up to something AGAIN, aint cha?

:) Y'almost got yerself a free PUD cake outta me.

Shoot, fired a blank on this one ... but what about the pineapple

and cherries?