The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

We hear you've managed to find a good squirrel. Treasure him, he's rare.

Must....Resist.....Snarky.....Response.....

:ph34r: Be good James.....

I thought about this all day, but couldn't figure out what you were going to say. Were you going to paraphrase Mae West?

-BadSquirrel

We hear you've managed to find a good squirrel. Treasure him, he's rare.

Must....Resist.....Snarky.....Response.....

:ph34r: Be good James.....
I thought about this all day, but couldn't figure out what you were going to say. Were you going to paraphrase Mae West?

-BadSquirrel

I actually thought of several responses but since my snarky mood has left me, I'll just say that he's not rare. Indeed, he's more like medium well done.

Where do you get your camouflage duck (duct) tape? I know one can order it online, but that is a last resort for me. Wal Mart no longer seems to carry it. Cya,

D!

We bought are camo duct tape at the army navy store in El Canjon.

Edited by sd-weiss

Where do you get your camouflage duck (duct) tape? I know one can order it online, but that is a last resort for me. Wal Mart no longer seems to carry it. Cya,

D!

Why is ordering it online a last resort? I posted my source of it a while back, but yes, it is from an online place. It blends in very well, but now I'm not so sure it holds up to the elements over time. I buy tons of stuff online. I got all sorts of packages this week, from books to camping stuff to CDs. I'm all about ordering things online. Frees up more time for geocaching!

D!

Why is ordering it online a last resort? I posted my source of it a while back, but yes, it is from an online place. It blends in very well, but now I'm not so sure it holds up to the elements over time. I buy tons of stuff online. I got all sorts of packages this week, from books to camping stuff to CDs. I'm all about ordering things online. Frees up more time for geocaching!

Mostly I just don't like it (that doesn't stop the wife, though). Maybe has to do with that instant gratification thing. Turns out I found the duck tape brand I like at Ace Hardware, just under a mile from HQ. Thanks,

D!

I was at Wallyworld yesterday and notice a hefty discount on the 2009 City Navigator North America NT Update maps. Whicn means you have to already have the NT maps for the Update maps to install. It don't matter what year/version NT maps you have.

A DVD with a jewel case was marked $25; and a DVD in a card stock insert was marked $15. I got the last one of the card stock DVDs at the Los Coaches Wallyworld.

Hey!! Where is everybody?!?! Too busy chasing lame urban micros for the numbers to check out this really cool series?!?! These caches are waaaayyyyy over the top in creativity and adventure. There is a whole website devoted to these caches, and a bunch of travel bugs, etc. The final is scheduled to be released on July 18th, so there's still time to catch up. So far, almost nobody has paid any attention to these other than Condorman, duck432, lulu499 and me. SGTF is an enigma, but he has put an incredible amount of time and effort into these caches, and they are well worth the extra effort if you are into adventure. So check 'em out!! We'll be racing you to FBZ A.P.E. 56 on July 18th!!!

FBZ A.P.E. 51: Stone of the Lost Valley by Simian Guerrilla Task Force (SGTF) (GC1E685)

FBZ A.P.E. 52: Warlock Mine by Simian Guerrilla Task Force (SGTF) (GC1HJ6M)

FBZ A.P.E. 53: Fallen Hollows by Simian Guerrilla Task Force (SGTF) (GC1FWXA)

FBZ A.P.E. 54: Rock River Burial Mound by Simian Guerrilla Task Force (SGTF) (GC1EW93)

FBZ A.P.E. 55: The Monkey's Triangle by Simian Guerrilla Task Force (GC1HW1G)

I see that Bogey - 101 Dalmatians has been archived. Does this mean Rolly will soon follow since you must find all to complete the challenge?

It has always been the case that reasonable accommodations will be made on an as-needed basis to deal with muggled and archived caches. Any needed clues will be provided upon request for situations like this.

Hello from Las Vegas,

My parents are in from Australia so I took them on a little road trip to Las Vegas. As a side issue, you wouldn't believe how many caches along the route out I got where the name before mine was kawikaturn. ;)

But I need some help...with a puzzle FTF.

GC1QA9N

I'm not a puzzle maestro but I hate the idea that a FTF has been sitting waiting for....over a month. (It would never have survived in SD county so I figure all bets are off, get help before Chuy! drives out here.) :)

Hello from Las Vegas,

My parents are in from Australia so I took them on a little road trip to Las Vegas. As a side issue, you wouldn't believe how many caches along the route out I got where the name before mine was kawikaturn. ;)

But I need some help...with a puzzle FTF.

GC1QA9N

I'm not a puzzle maestro but I hate the idea that a FTF has been sitting waiting for....over a month. (It would never have survived in SD county so I figure all bets are off, get help before Chuy! drives out here.) :)

You need to find 66 virtuals. Heres the link -http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx

I see that Bogey - 101 Dalmatians has been archived. Does this mean Rolly will soon follow since you must find all to complete the challenge?

It has always been the case that reasonable accommodations will be made on an as-needed basis to deal with muggled and archived caches. Any needed clues will be provided upon request for situations like this.

Perhaps it would be possible to find a qualified cacher to hide a new Bogey... :)

I don't think any amount of labeling or writing is going to alleviate the fears of the casual observer that comes across a container shaped like a pipe bomb (Especially upon seeing a person hide the container and abruptly leave the area.) Besides, wouldn't a real bomber try to disguise his bomb with innocent labeling/writing? We should avoid using any type of tubing with capped ends - they resemble pipe bombs too much.

So, the Zolgar will be in San Diego from either the 22nd or 23rd, to the 26th for Comic Con International. (Yes, Zolgar is that kind of nerd.)

I intend to try and get a bit of caching done while I'm out there so, I'm wondering if anyone has some decent cache recommendations that are within fairly easy walking distance from the convention center. (I could run a PQ, and will do so.. I'm just looking to see if anyone has ones they really recommend)

Also wondering if there will be any other cachers meandering around the con? (If so, I'll be pretty easy to find most of the time. I'll be up at one of the fan tables. ;) )

I need a bit of help from the computer gurus out there...

I get what I think are character codes instead of characters on a lot of web pages...how can I fix this?

I get:

f6359ae5-b948-47f5-b138-cb42024fec84.jpg

I have an HP Compaq 2200 desktop computer, running Windows XP Professional, and I use Firefox.

Thanks in advance for any help with this! ;)

Sue

I get what I think are character codes instead of characters on a lot of web pages...how can I fix this?

I get:

I have an HP Compaq 2200 desktop computer, running Windows XP Professional, and I use Firefox.

Sue

Could be FireFox... Have you tried to view it in Internet Explorer?

I get:

Sue

Sounds like the wonderful world of character-code settings on Firefox

browsers. Please post a URL for of an example web page on which the

problem occurs. After that a walk-through to examine the character-

code setting on your own browser will be in order.

Another thought to entertain ... maybe you don't have the proper font

downloaded for the web page(s) in question.

Or not.

Edited by SD Rowdies

I get:

Sue

Sounds like the wonderful world of character-code settings on Firefox

browsers. Please post a URL for of an example web page on which the

problem occurs. After that a walk-through to examine the character-

code setting on your own browser will be in order.

Another thought to entertain ... maybe you don't have the proper font

downloaded for the web page(s) in question.

Or not.

I hadn't thought to try IE as a comparison. After doing that, it appears it's a font issue. Thanks for the help!!! :D

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster.....

On the subject of problem caches, does anyone have any more details about the cacher who claims he was arrested this past week in LA (GC1PVBV & GC1FRWD)?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a9-0b94cdca3a4a

and

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c1-f9ad0ef14118

I know both of these locations well as I drive past them several times per month. I never thought they were great locations, but arresting a cacher? What bothers me is that it could have been any of us.

[rant on]Have we reached a point where we have too many urban caches? or maybe we have to ban them?[rant off]

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster.....

On the subject of problem caches, does anyone have any more details about the cacher who claims he was arrested this past week in LA (GC1PVBV & GC1FRWD)?

and

I know both of these locations well as I drive past them several times per month. I never thought they were great locations, but arresting a cacher? What bothers me is that it could have been any of us.

[rant on]Have we reached a point where we have too many urban caches? or maybe we have to ban them?[rant off]

I think its a fake for one of the logs he said he got arrested and another log he said he got arrested. Also he got finned 10k. Did this happen once or twice?

and

I know nothing of the specifics, but cache long enough in an urban area and sooner or later, you will encounter a law enforcement officer (LEO). I've had three encounters -- all of them ending amicably enough, although, in one case, the officer did make a record of my ID. Caching at night increases the odds that a LEO will look at your activities suspiciously. There was a north county cacher who was apprehended and in handcuffs before things got sorted out.

[soapbox] I don't think that we are at a point of banning urban caches (at least I hope not) but more and more I vote with my feet when I see caches placed in areas that might give me more attention than I would otherwise desire (e.g. elementary schools, play areas, high muggle areas, posted no entry zones). Unfortunately, my votes are drowned out by a sea of cachers who have no such qualms. It's a fact of life that I am resigned to...

As to your question, do we have too many urban caches? No, definitely not. But we do have way too many crappy urban caches....[/soapbox]

Dropped off three TB's that are in a race. Thought TB Flight 1214 GCPVKV would be a good spot. When I got there the lock was broken. I had no choice but to leave them as I was heading back to Yuma, and would not be able to find a better place. The owners have not logged in since 2007, no hope of them helping correct the problem. Please could someone retrieve them, I would hate to have them taken and lost. Thanks for the help.

As to your question, do we have too many urban caches? No, definitely not. But we do have way too many crappy urban caches...
Amen to that!
One man's crap is another man's treasure... :D

Someone might treasure it but that does not change the fact that it's still crap. :D

:) That's why I asked for this over two years ago.... Edited by TrailGators

Someone might treasure it but that does not change the fact that it's still crap. :)

This thread had me thinking...What would this hobby be like if all the hides were as well thought out and executed as LLOT's? Sure, many of them would be frustrating, but satisfying.

As another couple of data points for the urban cache bash. I was at one last night (I'm back in LA again surprise surprise) in a strip mall and GZ is right under two security cameras. A few days ago I was at another one that turned out to be a lamp post hide in the parking lot of a defense contractor. There were the largest security cameras I've ever seen. My favorite one so far in LA is one that is placed right outside the fence where the main water supply comes into an oil refinery. I've been passing on these ones as I have been losing my nerve more and more lately.

There are all kinds of things that some people like and others don't like. Books are a good example. I prefer books by certain authors and I won't read books written by other authors. I do the same thing with geocaches. Certain people hide caches I like and certain people hide caches I don't like. So I refuse to find geocaches hidden by certain hiders once I figure out that I don't like what they hide. I've created a private ignore list to hide caches I doubt that I will like. This removes them from my PQs. I've also created a favorites list to share caches that many people have recommended.

:P That's why I asked for this over two years ago....

Just read through your suggestion. I must say that this has to be one of the rarest threads on the GC forums.

Why? Because the response is almost all positive and even the negative responders were pretty tame. The usual suggestion thread goes something more like this: The OP will say "I think that GC.COM should ban all caches that require disassembling highway bridges with a blowtorch." A few people will chime in and then the "If you want to ban this kind of cache, you'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers" fringe turns out in force to defend the idea of using blowtorches to disassemble bridges to retrieve caches. Some will say their favorite find required a blow torch and some will argue that eliminating blowtorch caches will keep a percentage of the new cachers from coming into the game. And there will always be someone (or twenty) from the "if you don't like _<fill in the blank>_ caches, just ignore them" fan club posting their favorite line. Usually, two or three pages of that goes by and then the thread wanders off into weeds for 30 pages of pointless bickering.

So I was a little surprised to see an almost universally positive response. Too bad that TPTB have not seen fit to implement your suggestion. I'd use it.

:P That's why I asked for this over two years ago....

Just read through your suggestion. I must say that this has to be one of the rarest threads on the GC forums.

Why? Because the response is almost all positive and even the negative responders were pretty tame. The usual suggestion thread goes something more like this: The OP will say "I think that GC.COM should ban all caches that require disassembling highway bridges with a blowtorch." A few people will chime in and then the "If you want to ban this kind of cache, you'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers" fringe turns out in force to defend the idea of using blowtorches to disassemble bridges to retrieve caches. Some will say their favorite find required a blow torch and some will argue that eliminating blowtorch caches will keep a percentage of the new cachers from coming into the game. And there will always be someone (or twenty) from the "if you don't like _<fill in the blank>_ caches, just ignore them" fan club posting their favorite line. Usually, two or three pages of that goes by and then the thread wanders off into weeds for 30 pages of pointless bickering.

So I was a little surprised to see an almost universally positive response. Too bad that TPTB have not seen fit to implement your suggestion. I'd use it.

I know exactly what you mean. I tried to not be insulting or intolerant, so I think that thread avoided stepping on any toes. There are actually many reasons that people would want to ignore someone else's caches. Nowadays there are so many caches that we do have the luxury to be more selective if we choose to be. That idea just gives people another handy parsing tool. I wish TPTB would implement it. Maybe if enough people chime in TPTB will eventually take notice.....

Hey!! Lulu made it on the front page!!

eb026ab5-09be-41db-8e42-5913197d7666.jpg

Honk!

Honk Honk!! :cool:

Congrats, Nancy!!!

Triple Honk from Triple Crown!

Congrats Nancy!!!

That is a lulu of a photo! Way to go Lulu! :D

That's a great spot for a picture Nancy! Is that humongous crack still in the rock right were you're standing? :D

It's nice to see you're smiling face gracing the banner! :D:D

The Splashes :unsure:B)

Honk!

Honk Honk!! :cool:

Congrats, Nancy!!!

Congrats Nancy!!!

That is a lulu of a photo! Way to go Lulu! :D

That's a great spot for a picture Nancy! Is that humongous crack still in the rock right were you're standing? :D

It's nice to see you're smiling face gracing the banner! :D:D

The Splashes :unsure:B)

WOW nice job and cool rock.

Edited by SD-Weiss

Honk!

Honk Honk!! :(

Congrats, Nancy!!!

Congrats Nancy!!!

That is a lulu of a photo! Way to go Lulu! :(

That's a great spot for a picture Nancy! Is that humongous crack still in the rock right were you're standing? :(

It's nice to see you're smiling face gracing the banner! :(B)

The Splashes :blink:B)

WOW nice job and cool rock.

How cool!! I'm always looking to see if I know anyone on the banner. I've seen a few local cachers up there - I didn't think I'd see myself (although I haven't actually seen it yet). Fun!!! :D