The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Hello all San Diego Geocachers, this is armynate with an update on my father "lostguy". He was able to take a few steps today with a little help and even managed to walk up a couple stairs also during his rehab eval. Thank you all for the words of encouragement and keeping him in your prayers. He is currently at the Grossmont Rehab Center in room 166B. Visiting hours are from 7:30 am- 8:00 pm. My mother said he could use some cheering up from his geocaching family. Thank you all again for your concerns. Best times for visiting would be in the evening as most of his rehab takes place in the morning.

Sincere thanks,

Nathan(armynate)

John and I visited Dick today and he definitely is welcome to visitors. I think he enjoyed our cache stories. He's a tad bored and needs some encouragement. We told him about riding bikes with Fattboy and Skillet and he was actually trying to laugh thinking about Fattboy on a bike! He starts therapy at least a few times a day tomorrow and he's gonna give it his all that's for sure. With some luck in a short while Marco will appprove a cache that will also give Dick some enjoyment...look for it....

Best of luck in recovery. For a break in your boredom if you have access to the internet

do check out the posted images at

Splashette Photos

Hoping lostguy finds himself back on the trail soon!

For those cachers up for a challenge this weekend, just a heads up that dtn92129 and I are finishing up a new caching series called hikeNcache. It's a 10 mile hike around the Black Mountain area that should go active next Sunday morning, May 3rd, around 7AM. It's a loop hike, so you don't have to stage transportation at the far end of the trail if you do all 10 miles in one go. We are placing 40 new caches along the route, and there are some other existing caches along the way that you may or may not have already logged. It's possible to bike it as well, but you'll likely be pushing your bike on some sections. We'll be keeping track on each cache page which cachers meet the 10 mile challenge in one day. Have fun!

-Tony

Visited with Lostguy today and his spirits seemed good, and he enjoys having cachers stop by. Doctors told him he will remain at this facility 2-3 weeks, but they re-evaluate his status on Thursdays. Don't be surprised if you run into other cachers while visiting, I ran into one of the Fat Cats, and others seem to be looking for something right outside his window. (Thanks Jodi)

Hello all San Diego Geocachers, this is armynate with an update on my father "lostguy". He was able to take a few steps today with a little help and even managed to walk up a couple stairs also during his rehab eval. Thank you all for the words of encouragement and keeping him in your prayers. He is currently at the Grossmont Rehab Center in room 166B. Visiting hours are from 7:30 am- 8:00 pm. My mother said he could use some cheering up from his geocaching family. Thank you all again for your concerns. Best times for visiting would be in the evening as most of his rehab takes place in the morning.

Sincere thanks,

Nathan(armynate)

John and I visited Dick today and he definitely is welcome to visitors. I think he enjoyed our cache stories. He's a tad bored and needs some encouragement. We told him about riding bikes with Fattboy and Skillet and he was actually trying to laugh thinking about Fattboy on a bike! He starts therapy at least a few times a day tomorrow and he's gonna give it his all that's for sure. With some luck in a short while Marco will appprove a cache that will also give Dick some enjoyment...look for it....

B)

WHAT YOU DONT THINK FATTBOY CAN RIDE A BIKE ?

GET WELL SOON LOSTGUY ( DICK ) SO WE CAN GO BIKE RIDING !!!!

:blink: FATTBOY :rolleyes:

For those cachers up for a challenge this weekend, just a heads up that dtn92129 and I are finishing up a new caching series called hikeNcache. It's a 10 mile hike around the Black Mountain area that should go active next Sunday morning, May 3rd, around 7AM. It's a loop hike, so you don't have to stage transportation at the far end of the trail if you do all 10 miles in one go. We are placing 40 new caches along the route, and there are some other existing caches along the way that you may or may not have already logged. It's possible to bike it as well, but you'll likely be pushing your bike on some sections. We'll be keeping track on each cache page which cachers meet the 10 mile challenge in one day. Have fun!

-Tony

Update

We are ironing out some placement issues with the reviewers, and it is going to take a little time. Therefore, this series will not be going live tomorrow as planned. We are shooting for next weekend, but we'll have to see. I'll post again later in the week with another update.

Thanks for the interest!

-Tony

-Tony

Update

We are ironing out some placement issues with the reviewers, and it is going to take a little time. Therefore, this series will not be going live tomorrow as planned. We are shooting for next weekend, but we'll have to see. I'll post again later in the week with another update.

Thanks for the interest!

-Tony

Dang reviewers - always getting in the way of some fun. :sad:

-Tony

Update

Thanks for the interest!

-Tony

Dang reviewers - always getting in the way of some fun. :sad:

Commie pinkos more like it . 0002039F.gif

-Tony

Update

Thanks for the interest!

-Tony

:D Bummer...we were all excited. Itsounds like you have some puzzles to solve...need any help? :sad:

-Tony

Update

Thanks for the interest!

-Tony

:) Bummer...we were all excited. Itsounds like you have some puzzles to solve...need any help? :sad:

Hey, next Sunday is Mother's Day. What a great way to celebrate it! :D

-Tony

Update

Thanks for the interest!

-Tony

:) Bummer...we were all excited. Itsounds like you have some puzzles to solve...need any help? :sad:

Hey, next Sunday is Mother's Day. What a great way to celebrate it! :D

Thanks J&J, but it's just some proximity issues (overall density and existing/other pending placements) that we still need to figure out. It really is like a puzzle in some cases, though! We're going to end up removing some of the 40 caches we've already put down to fix the problems and satisfy the reviewers, and I don't know how many caches we'll end up with when we are through.

We are hoping to go live on 5/9, next Saturday, as a few cachers had made the request instead of next Sunday, but Linda can still have her nice Mother's Day hike.

I have a real appreciation now for cachers like Ritzcrackers who have placed and activated a large quantity of caches as the same time. It's a lot of work!

-Tony

So after a 6 month Hiatus from caching, mostly due to my new little cacher, I am back in the swing of things! My second day back caching and I had one of those $300 geocaches, see my log below.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0f-83f9e944e904

Ouch! I've done that with a phone once. The phone still worked but the screen was broken which made it a little hard to use...

Amazing coincidence, though, the guy who found my phone was related to finkbr.

I have had a similar experience on a short hike (7miles) around North Fortuna. Mocha and I went on the hike and returned to the car after a few hours. She was dog-tired, and I broke out the bowl of water and some kibble. I took paper maps with me and crossed off and wrote notes on the ones I wanted to mention for whatever reason. Mocha got done with her snack, we loaded up and headed for home. We were parked up at the top of Tierrasanta on some northeast access to the park, and after winding back down to Santo and heading home, I started to search for my GPS (I thought there was a cache I hadn't picked up around Santo and Clairmont Mesa). Couldn't find it immediately and assumed it was in my bag.

When I got home, I found that the log sheets and GPS were nowhere to be found!! I commenced a slow drive back-tracking my way and found the log sheets in the street where I was parked, but no GPS!! Did a few more runs, but no luck :)

A few hours later, there were 2 college students knocking on my door. They had found my GPS :lol: in the street at Clairmont Mesa and Santo. I put my address and reward if found on the startup screen (thank Goodness!!!) and they were returning it~! It was a little scratched up but functioning, and I was so happy, I asked them if they drink. They both looked at each other (in that college student way of "is this guy kidding??") and both said yes! Away they went with my eternal thanks, and a brand new bottle of Petron Silver!!!

Lost my Razr on another trip out by Where Jets Fly, never found, and MANY pairs of reading and sun glasses!!! Sorry to hear of your loss.

This is information for any of you who are interested in placing caches in Cuyamaca State Park. I talked to the Superintendent, Nedra Martinez, on Saturday and asked about placing caches in the park. She said that they should be along existing trails and not in sensitive areas. Sensitive areas are anything where you see a sign telling you this. She does not want a huge amount of caches like in Horsethief Canyon, Hollenbeck Cyn, etc. If caches are found in areas that are off limits they will be removed. She would also like a courtesy call at 760-765-3020 indicating that you have placed a cache and saying where you put it. :D:D

:huh:-->

QUOTE(Chuck B @ May 5 2009, 07:59 AM) 3925845[/snapback]

This is information for any of you who are interested in placing caches in Cuyamaca State Park. I talked to the Superintendent, Nedra Martinez, on Saturday and asked about placing caches in the park. She said that they should be along existing trails and not in sensitive areas. Sensitive areas are anything where you see a sign telling you this. She does not want a huge amount of caches like in Horsethief Canyon, Hollenbeck Cyn, etc. If caches are found in areas that are off limits they will be removed. She would also like a courtesy call at 760-765-3020 indicating that you have placed a cache and saying where you put it. :D:D

Thanks for the info Chuck :D

Greetings from the Lily Pond (or at least the SoCal version of it)! In light of the several recent "power trails" in the area, and the one pending in the Queue for release this Saturday, I thought it might be helpful to provide some guidance to those out there who might want to duplicate what has already been approved. Power trails are discouraged for several reasons. Geocaching is intended to bring people to new and unique areas that they have never visited before. One cache in a area accomplishes this purpose but two caches essentially within eyesight of each other does not promote this basic ideal. Secondly, saturating an area with caches discourages new cachers from joining in the fun. If there is no place for a new cacher to place a cache, how can that new person feel welcome to the game? Finally, Geocaching was never intended to be "all about the numbers." Alas, it has certainly in my opinion recently become almost nothing but "all about the numbers." But you all out there are entitled to some certainty, so here is the usual Reviewer Note that we have used in the past to address the unique saturation issue associated with this type of series:

I have just reviewed your new cache submissions: ______________. This reviewer note applies to all of these caches. While I do appreciate your enthusiasm in hiding multiple Geocaches for people to seek out, I am temporarily placing your caches "on hold" in the review queue while we discuss whether these caches comply with the "Cache Saturation" section of the Geocache Listing Requirements/Guidelines. Please take a moment to review that section here: Proximity Guidelines

You probably already know that Geocaches need to be spaced at least 528 feet (.1 miles) apart from other caches. But, the cache saturation guideline says more than that. The guidelines continue by saying:

"On the same note, don't go cache crazy and hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can. If you want to create a series of caches, the reviewer may require you to create a multi-cache, if the waypoints are close together. A series of caches that are generally intended to be found as a group are good candidates for submission as a single multicache."

When I'm trying to determine if a series of ten or more caches qualify as a power trail, I look for 5 things.

1. Similar or identical name with a number or letter identifier.

2. Cookie cutter description or no description at all.

3. Cache verbiage indicating the intent to place a bunch of caches to found at the same time.

4. A bunch of caches all submitted at the same time.

5. Caches along a linear or loop route.

If the answer to 3 of these 5 questions is yes then the series is most likely a power trail. Your series hits a total of ___ yes answers.

Moving forward you have several options:

1. If you want to use all these locations I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to combine them into a single multicache.

2. Another option would be to decrease the overall saturation by eliminating some of the caches.

3. Alternately, you can increase the distance between caches to at least .3 miles to allow other cache placements between them.

4. I can post a note to the reviewer forums and get some other opinions. Perhaps I'm being to strict or missing some possibilities,

5. You can appeal my decision directly to Groundspeak at appeals@geocaching.com

Finally, it would also help to know your future plans for this area. If you want to add more caches in the vicinity, I’d like to know that.

I look forward to hearing from you. To reply to this message, post a reviewer note on the cache page. Unless I hear from you within the next day or two, I will temporarily disable the caches to remove them from the reviewer queue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Marko Ramius

Volunteer Cache Reviewer

I hope this provides some guidance to all of you out there. If you simply cannot contain yourselves, and you absolutely feel it necessary to carpet bomb an area with caches, please follow the .3 mile guideline in this post. At least that way, that brand new cacher who comes along after you will have some opportunity to hide a cache of his/her own. Many trails have become saturated over time with hides from many different cachers. That is certainly preferable to an area becoming instantly saturated by one, single cache account.

The issues with the Black Mountain series have been worked out, and that series is expected to be released this Saturday. For various reasons, considerable leniency was given as to the usual .3 distance that is desired. Do not take this to mean that some precedent has been set. The Guidelines are very clear in this regard. First and foremost please be advised there is no precedent for placing caches. This means that the past listing of a similar cache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the listing of a new cache.

The views expressed in this post are mostly my own, although shared by many other Reviewers and GC.com staff. I understand these views are not shared by many of you out there, as most cachers these days seem to be concerned about little else other than the "numbers." Regardless of personal views, you can count on the Reviewers to do their best in applying the Guidelines in a fair and even manner. Our primary goal is to find a way to list caches submitted by all of you out there, so long as a valid justification can be made under the Guidelines as written. Some discretion is given to the Reviewers, and this is one of those areas. This post is intended to provide some guidance on how the SoCal Reviewers have been exercising their discretion when it comes to the "power trail" issue.

Please feel free to send me an e-mail at markoramius.ro@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Or just post your responses and reactions here.

Thanks, -MR

Greetings from the Lily Pond (or at least the SoCal version of it)! In light of the several recent "power trails" in the area, and the one pending in the Queue for release this Saturday, I thought it might be helpful to provide some guidance to those out there who might want to duplicate what has already been approved. Power trails are discouraged for several reasons. Geocaching is intended to bring people to new and unique areas that they have never visited before. One cache in a area accomplishes this purpose but two caches essentially within eyesight of each other does not promote this basic ideal. Secondly, saturating an area with caches discourages new cachers from joining in the fun. If there is no place for a new cacher to place a cache, how can that new person feel welcome to the game? Finally, Geocaching was never intended to be "all about the numbers." Alas, it has certainly in my opinion recently become almost nothing but "all about the numbers." But you all out there are entitled to some certainty, so here is the usual Reviewer Note that we have used in the past to address the unique saturation issue associated with this type of series:

While I'm sure that the people who place such caches mean well, I fully agree with limiting power trails. There's something more satisfying in picking up caches by a number of different cachers that have all felt inspired to place caches on the same trail or area than picking up the same number of caches on the same trail, by the same cacher, in the same theme, and often, in the same identical set of crummy micro containers. On the other hand, I like hiking or biking a trail that has a few caches on it, rather than just one. So maybe people could just place a half-dozen caches along a trail they want people to visit, without filling it up.

However, it seems inevitable that every 0.1 mile of this county will be filled with caches before too long, so maybe any attempt to limit numbers for numbers sake is futile in the long run. Good luck, Marko. I don't envy your job.

I just ate 200 cans of Altoids for NOTHING?

Nah...it's just that your power trail is going to have to be 60 miles long instead of just 20.

Or you could set up a skirt-lifter multicache in the parking lot of a mall...(oh wait, that's been done before... :( )

I'm gonna be sick! :D

Whether you ate them for NOTHING or not, you're still gonna be sick...

...but not as sick as if you'd eaten 100 tins of Altoids and 100 tubes of M&M Minis :P

I completely enjoyed the Bike N Cache series ... it was a great time on a very nice trail! As far as other cache hides in the area, there were plenty of other hides to be had. As a new cacher, I think the thing that kept me from hiding my first cache wasn't saturation at all - it was more the issue of really wanting to do a good job. One of the things I love about geocaching is the creativity of various geocachers. It's remarkable to me how much effort most people put into making geocaching enjoyable for the rest of us! I don't expect to like every cache I come across, or every idea I see. Most people put quite a bit of thought and care into what they put out there tho, and I really appreciate it! The way I see it ... geocaching serves a few purposes for me - fun, adventure, exercise, creativity, and meeting new friends. I've never come across a cache, power trail, series, puzzle, event, you name it ... that didn't provide one of those ;) . Keep 'em coming, and turn that frown upsidedown! :)

OK, I have deleted all my logs for all caches in the following now-frowned-upon series, a total of 55 finds and 1 DNF:

Doctor's Orders

BikeNCache

WalkNCache

PLNMC

G4T50

They were nice walks, though. ;)

Nice walks, indeed, but I'll keep my logs...

Incidentally, "Doctor's Orders" really were "a doctor's orders". My doctor's orders. I am deeply grateful to FM and Lulu for placing them as they were exactly what I needed following my surgery. :)

I agree with Ron that I prefer to do a power trail that has developed over time, with hides by a number of different cachers, using different containers and hidden in different styles. These de facto trails evolve naturally and while they may require multiple trips for those people who clear a radius, isn't a good hike or bike trail worth doing more than once?

:blink: "LOSTGUY" UPDATE:

Many cachers have gone to visit Dick over the past few weeks and it has really been good for him. I think Mrs.Hill likes meeting us all also :laughing: . We are happy to report that in the 2 weeks that Dick has been at the Grossmont Rehab he has made tremendous progress. He's moving his arm and leg...he can walk (although they don't let him do this alone) and his speech is much improved. We are so happy and just hope the forward progress continues. The therapists have told Dick "Slow down". :anibad: On Monday morning Dick is having surgery to fix the hole in his heart which was the cause of his stroke. It's an interesting procedure and they will put an umbrella shaped "bolt" through the hole and cinch it back and it expands to fill the hole and skin grafts over it. Ok...that's how I remember it being explained anyways.

Thanks for visiting "Lostguy" and sharing all your recent adventures with him. Twice we've been sweaty and scratched up from MTB rides when we visited and Dick just laughs at us. He'll be back out there with us some day. :D

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. Im looking for the lists that cachers in San Diego put togther of like best caches that muggles cant see, and top 10 caches in the county, etc. I know there used to be links to them but I cant find them. I really liked the caches muggles cant see list. I tried to as many of them as I could. They are fun. Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. Im looking for the lists that cachers in San Diego put togther of like best caches that muggles cant see, and top 10 caches in the county, etc. I know there used to be links to them but I cant find them. I really liked the caches muggles cant see list. I tried to as many of them as I could. They are fun. Thanks!

It was good meeting you and talking to you yesterday...

I have a "Muggles Can't See It" bookmark list. Alas, it has not been as well maintained as it might.

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...63-320ecb50bfe4

The aggregate "San Diego's Favorites" list is maintained by Trailgators. In order to make it onto this list, a cache must appear on at least three personal favorites lists. The more lists that it appears on, the higher a cache will be rated in the list.

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...1e-f139513b9340

From this book mark list, you can go to the higher rated caches and access many of the personal favorites lists. For example, if you go to the "Forbidden Forest" cache you can find over 20 of the personal favorites lists.

I'm really new to the geocaching thing. My husband and I have gone out twice, and I've done one here or there when I'm out and about. Any tips you might give a newbie?? I can tell you one thing, I know I need a gps. The program on my iphone just sucks the battery life away and isn't acurate. We've found some easy ones, but we've missed a few too. Looking for any advise and would love to meet others int he area. We live in Guatay, so we are really close to the Bear Valley Loop and of course Guatay, mountain. feel free to add me as a friend or email me at dawnluvsmusic08@yahoo.com :anitongue:

I'm really new to the geocaching thing. ...

Welcome aboard guys.

Until you get a GPS, try Google-Earth - it's relatively accurate, especially using visual landmarks.

Over on the San Diego Cache Events thread, Diego cachers will post planned outings. Look for events; it's a good place to meet cachers in person and develop networking.

I'm really new to the geocaching thing. ...

Welcome aboard guys.

Until you get a GPS, try Google-Earth - it's relatively accurate, especially using visual landmarks.

Over on the San Diego Cache Events thread, Diego cachers will post planned outings. Look for events; it's a good place to meet cachers in person and develop networking.

Thought we would share where we were today:

See GC1jerg for details:

Edited by kwvers!

Hey ~

Did anybody else see John & Jodi on the Ch. 10, 11 o'clock news last night?

How in the world do they have time to clear a perimeter around their house, work, and still cache? :anicute:

They were very cute and handsome! ;);)

Splashette :rolleyes:

;) Woah, you guys stay up late! I'm a party pooper, in bed by 8:30pm! So, no I didn't see them ... but, I found B) the video!!!

Cute and Handsome

I should replay this ... ;) did handsome ever say a word? LOL

Hey ~

How in the world do they have time to clear a perimeter around their house, work, and still cache? B)

They were very cute and handsome! :D:D

Splashette ;)

B) Woah, you guys stay up late! I'm a party pooper, in bed by 8:30pm! So, no I didn't see them ... but, I found :D the video!!!

Cute and Handsome

I should replay this ... :P did handsome ever say a word? LOL

Guess John didn't have anything relevent to say - Wonder if that happens at work? Or he was asking when was the camera truck was going to leave, since it was parked over a cache?

Why did Jodi turn away from John when she said "never BURNNNED brush"

What was Jodi actualy refering to, when she said "Make a stink I think?" Did John pass gas while on camera? LIke that wouldn't happen :rolleyes::anicute:;););)

Hey ~

How in the world do they have time to clear a perimeter around their house, work, and still cache? ;)

They were very cute and handsome! B)B)

Splashette ;)

:rolleyes::anicute: We were asleep at 11 o'clock. Here's the whole story: We stopped on our road to pick up trash on the way home last night and a van stopped us and asked us if lived here and if we had defensible space. Defensible space? Of course we do. They were Channel 10 news and asked to see it and wanted to know what we used to clear it. The rest is history. That's not our house in the video..it was dark when they were there. That is our weed whacker and my feet though. ;) They wanted to stay and do a live broadcast and we said "Sure, but we're going to bed." I guess they stayed and left after 11. They really cut out all the good stuff...like John telling them I do all the work ;)

Edited by jahoadi and john
Hey ~

How in the world do they have time to clear a perimeter around their house, work, and still cache? ;)

They were very cute and handsome! :D:D

Splashette ;);)

:rolleyes::anicute: We were asleep at 11 o'clock. Here's the whole story: We stopped on our road to pick up trash on the way home last night and a van stopped us and asked us if lived here and if we had defensible space. Defensible space? Of course we do. They were Channel 10 news and asked to see it and wanted to know what we used to clear it. The rest is history. That's not our house in the video..it was dark when they were there. That is our weed whacker and my feet though. B) They wanted to stay and do a live broadcast and we said "Sure, but we're going to bed." I guess they stayed and left after 11. They really cut out all the good stuff...like John telling them I do all the work :P

I know a movie star - WooooHoooo ;)B)

On our hike to the Secret Swing today, one of our little tykes picked up a tick and I was able to help out with my little tick removal tool. Pioneer Tiff wanted to know where I got it, and I thought I'd share the info with you all.

I actually don't remember where I got my set, but Petco carries the same set. It's called the Tick Twister and is currently on sale for $3 at Petco. There are other designs out there and most are under $10, a relative cheap investment to to pull out these blood-sucking critters promptly and efficiently.

850646000038C.jpg

Off the subject: Welcome back "lostguy"!

Edited by Chuy!

I have to put out some public praise a few cachers in my area. When I go out caching and I find one by these guys, it really makes my day! I don't know if they read the forums, and I suppose a lot of you know of them and appreciate their caches already, but I just felt inspired to put out a more public "thank you!"

BKip - http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=60...5953c0&ds=2

He's only been in San Diego a few months but his containers and hides are excellent.

Shaka Bra - http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=ac...09c794&ds=2

He keeps hiding good-sized containers near Mission Bay and the coast. Love the one under the pier! And the one where you have to solve the puzzle in order to sign the log!

womyninred - http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=85...887282&ds=2

I totally appreciate her large, themed caches. I just picked up another one of hers today that was in a beautiful wild garden area, full of flowers. (Mellow Yellow).

On our hike to the Secret Swing today, one of our little tykes picked up a tick and I was able to help out with my little tick removal tool. Pioneer Tiff wanted to know where I got it, and I thought I'd share the info with you all.

I actually don't remember where I got my set, but Petco carries the same set. It's called the Tick Twister and is currently on sale for $3 at Petco. There are other designs out there and most are under $10, a relative cheap investment to to pull out these blood-sucking critters promptly and efficiently.

850646000038C.jpg

Off the subject: Welcome back "lostguy"!

How To Remove a Tick

How To Remove a Tick

Bet it would work on dogs too.

Spring is here and the ticks will soon be showing in heads. Here is a good way to get them off you, your children, or your pets. Give it a try. Please forward to anyone with children... or hunters or dogs, or anyone who even steps outside in summer!! A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share -- And it really works!!I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it's some times difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc. Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton! ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me. Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say, "It worked!"

Please pass on. Everyone needs this helpful info!

I got this from a friend,and haven't tried it but if I do get a tick I will try it.

I to would like to say welcome back LostGuy.

Ever been to Tunnels? It's a really cool place between Park Village and CA-56. There are a bunch of gullies that are overgrown by scrub oak which forms a series of tunnels (Hence the name...) It's been a very popular place among the mountain bikers. Well, if you want to see this place, you might want to go soon. Access to the area is about to be closed (probably by mid-November at the latest.) and the area will be patrolled (with hefty fines if you get caught.) The politics of the closure are rather convoluted so I won't go into it here but suffice to say that the MTB crowd made a valiant attempt to keep the area open (at the cost of closing some trails) but apparently that effort carried no weight whatsoever. :unsure:

f4be88ee-c213-49b7-baf5-b8f2ccca2c88.jpg

As this story evolves I'll try to provide updates...

I love that area! It is so cool to be able to walk on a path and have trees provide shade the whole way. And you can't figure out your path ahead of time using Google Earth. There just aren't that many places like that around here. I haven't grabbed all the new ones out there, so I will now make an effort to do so before they close it. Thanks for the warning, James. I'd previously heard that at least the NE part was to be turned into a housing development, but it doesn't seem like the best economic climate to make new housing tracks.

'I've never been to that area. Is is still open? If so, maybe we could do one last SDCET there....

I was just up there this morning and it is still open. Due to the impending closure of the area, I plan to remove all my caches there on Monday Nov 3rd and to temporarily disable them.

It is a very unique area. So if you are interested, come out.

Obviously this is late, but this item in the Reader (yeah, 5 months ago) goes into a bit more detail on the backstory.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2008/dec/10/city-light-2/

Looking for some help here...I have final #'s on an old TT puzzle cache, but my eTrex has trouble under tree cove, and is currently introducing a 45' offset randomly. I've visited the site 4 times, and brought Mrs. BS and her eagle eyes.

No dice.

I'd like to borrow someone's GPSMap60 that has the super-cool antenna, so I can be sure of my final posit.

Can someone in the Scripps/Mira Mesa area help? If you want to tag along, cool...it's in the vicinity of the Costco on Morena Blvd. (and I use the term "in the vicinity" very loosely).

Looking for some help here...I have final #'s on an old TT puzzle cache, but my eTrex has trouble under tree cove, and is currently introducing a 45' offset randomly. I've visited the site 4 times, and brought Mrs. BS and her eagle eyes.

No dice.

I'd like to borrow someone's GPSMap60 that has the super-cool antenna, so I can be sure of my final posit.

Can someone in the Scripps/Mira Mesa area help? If you want to tag along, cool...it's in the vicinity of the Costco on Morena Blvd. (and I use the term "in the vicinity" very loosely).

Sure, I have a 60CS you can borrow any time... It worked for me in finding said cache... :unsure:

Edited by FlagMan

No dice.

Sure, I have a 60CS you can borrow any time... It worked for me in finding said cache... :unsure:

:blink: You don't want a 60Cs..it stinks under any kind of cover. If you give me the coords :ph34r: I'll come help you with John's 60CSX :(:(

No dice.

:blink: You don't want a 60Cs..it stinks under any kind of cover. If you give me the coords :ph34r: I'll come help you with John's 60CSX :(:(

Sorry Jodi, you already found this one....before he moved it.

We hear you've managed to find a good squirrel. Treasure him, he's rare.

-Mrs. BS