The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Congrats to whoever makes the next post!! :wacko: Top of page AND 14000!

(on edit - oops, i guess 14001 will be top of page!)

WoooooooHooooooooooo!!!

Congrats to FlagMan on post 14,000! Hey check out this geocaching video!

:wacko: Way cool! But Mrs. KWVERS! told a white lie She said "we cache once or twice a week". Don''t you mean once or twice a day..like before lunch and after lunch and again after dinner? :mellow:

Cool video. Seems like something you would see on TV.

Say, I haven't kept up on all the threads about the Oregon. Can anyone give a detailed case for why I might want to trade in my 60CSX and get an Oregon? I'm pretty happy with my 60CSX/Palm combination but I really haven't heard much about the Oregon.

Cool video. Seems like something you would see on TV.

Say, I haven't kept up on all the threads about the Oregon. Can anyone give a detailed case for why I might want to trade in my 60CSX and get an Oregon? I'm pretty happy with my 60CSX/Palm combination but I really haven't heard much about the Oregon.

I love not having to pull out my palm/pocket pc to check for the clue or past logs, it's all right on the Oregon. The Oregon holds 2000 caches as compared to 1000 on the 60csx. You can upload field notes from the Oregon and log your finds when you want to. I keep my 60csx around for my bike and quick waypoint entry. Not as detailed as you might like, but those are the big pluses for me.

D!

WoooooooHooooooooooo!!!

:wacko: Way cool! But Mrs. KWVERS! told a white lie She said "we cache once or twice a week". Don''t you mean once or twice a day..like before lunch and after lunch and again after dinner? :mellow:

Funny!

WoooooooHooooooooooo!!!

Funny!

Um er um...Did Mrs. Kwver say cache or hike 3:44 into the video?...What she should of said is "if we have to, we will hike one or two times a week." The definition of a hike for us is more that .10

WoooooooHooooooooooo!!!

Funny!

Um er um...Did Mrs. Kwver say cache or hike 3:44 into the video?...What she should of said is "if we have to, we will hike one or two times a week." The definition of a hike for us is more that .10

So after a 6 month Hiatus from caching, mostly due to my new little cacher, I am back in the swing of things! My second day back caching and I had one of those $300 geocaches, see my log below.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0f-83f9e944e904

Ouch! I've done that with a phone once. The phone still worked but the screen was broken which made it a little hard to use...

Amazing coincidence, though, the guy who found my phone was related to finkbr.

So after a 6 month Hiatus from caching, mostly due to my new little cacher, I am back in the swing of things! My second day back caching and I had one of those $300 geocaches, see my log below.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0f-83f9e944e904

Ouch! try the reset procedure before giving up on it.

Yup tried that, rest the memory, and re-initialized, no help =( Never sees any Satellites. I needed a new GPS any ways =)

Oh man!! I have done that before. Cordless phone from the house and then a Nikon Camera.

Found a racing TB that needs to Go West..Anybody going West in the near future? Catalina,Hawaii,PI etc?

Bummer! I wish I know that yesterday. Just dropped off my wife and kid at the airport; they are heading over to the Big Island.

For those cachers that don't browse the main forums, thought I'd mention that they have altered some requirements/guidelines for cache placements on Monday and outlawed mandatory ALR (additional logging requirements). You can request cachers to perform an additional task (like taking a photo, for example), but you can't enforce the requirement or delete non compliant logs. There is no grandfathering allowed either, so ALR's are effectively removed from all caches immediately (even if descriptions are not updated to say so).

Typically, caches with ALR's were mystery caches. They want everybody that has ALR caches now to update their descriptions to make them optional and then have the reviewers change the cache type from mystery to traditional (probably in most cases). This will alter the find count for those folks who track their mystery finds, for example.

Just wanted to pass the info along. There is a massive thread about the topic in the "Geocaching Topics" forum.

-Tony

For those cachers that don't browse the main forums, thought I'd mention that they have altered some requirements/guidelines for cache placements on Monday and outlawed mandatory ALR (additional logging requirements). You can request cachers to perform an additional task (like taking a photo, for example), but you can't enforce the requirement or delete non compliant logs. There is no grandfathering allowed either, so ALR's are effectively removed from all caches immediately (even if descriptions are not updated to say so).

Typically, caches with ALR's were mystery caches. They want everybody that has ALR caches now to update their descriptions to make them optional and then have the reviewers change the cache type from mystery to traditional (probably in most cases). This will alter the find count for those folks who track their mystery finds, for example.

Just wanted to pass the info along. There is a massive thread about the topic in the "Geocaching Topics" forum.

-Tony

Thanks for the update. I can just imagine how that thread is going. :blink:

I like the idea of mysteries mainly being puzzles. It was getting pretty convoluted.

-Tony

I like the idea of mysteries mainly being puzzles. It was getting pretty convoluted.

Or at least the location should be a mystery. With the ALR rule, there are a small percentage of "Mystery" caches that aren't really a mystery but only need something like a picture to log them. Seems kind of silly.

BTW, I haven't checked on this thread, but like Patrick, I can imagine the high level of discourse... :blink:

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

-Tony

Or at least the location should be a mystery. With the ALR rule, there are a small percentage of "Mystery" caches that aren't really a mystery but only need something like a picture to log them. Seems kind of silly.

BTW, I haven't checked on this thread, but like Patrick, I can imagine the high level of discourse... :blink:

More like discurse is my guess.

281736780_9b673093bd.jpg

PHOTO CAPTION:

Look here, Harmon! You see....TT and his puzzles...well they got San Diego privileges. Anytime. Anywhere.

You hear me? If you got a problem with that, you're gonna deal with me. Jack. And I promise...it won't be pretty.

:)

Honk if you know who's it really is in the leather jacket...

As most of the CITO participants know the eastern group found a rattler all coiled up under a shrub. Watching the news last night I saw a report that shows that the Southern Pacific Rattlesnake venom has become more toxic and snake bites are increasing over the past two years.

With this weeks heat surge the snake are sure to be active and just wanted to give everyone on the trails a reminder of what could "what's that under there" be under there.

An interesting article that ran yesterday

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/200...mp;zIndex=85242

As most of the CITO participants know the eastern group found a rattler all coiled up under a shrub. Watching the news last night I saw a report that shows that the Southern Pacific Rattlesnake venom has become more toxic and snake bites are increasing over the past two years.

With this weeks heat surge the snake are sure to be active and just wanted to give everyone on the trails a reminder of what could "what's that under there" be under there.

Thought I'd add a few comments...

It's not clear whether the SP rattlesnake is really getting more toxic or not. From what I've seen, I'd say the jury is out. Either way, though, you don't want to get a snake bite even if it doesn't kill you. The venom will still do nasty things to whatever part of your body it is injected and it will be a long and painful recovery that may severely impact your geocaching activities.

Also, with the heat wave, you are actually less likely to see rattlesnakes (and other snakes as well) during the heat of the day. Snakes, being cold-blooded, can get too hot and they will try to find a little shade where they can better regulate their temperature. Keep this in mind before you put your hands anywhere that you haven't already scoped out with your eyes (or do as I do and probe with your walking stick...)

One last thing, if you do see a snake (rattle or otherwise) be sure to get a picture of it (safely) to post on the San Diego Cache Critters thread.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Thought I'd add a few comments...

It's not clear whether the SP rattlesnake is really getting more toxic or not. From what I've seen, I'd say the jury is out. Either way, though, you don't want to get a snake bite even if it doesn't kill you. The venom will still do nasty things to whatever part of your body it is injected and it will be a long and painful recovery that may severely impact your geocaching activities.

Also, with the heat wave, you are actually less likely to see rattlesnakes (and other snakes as well) during the heat of the day. Snakes, being cold-blooded, can get too hot and they will try to find a little shade where they can better regulate their temperature. Keep this in mind before you put your hands anywhere that you haven't already scoped out with your eyes (or do as I do and probe with your walking stick...)

One last thing, if you do see a snake (rattle or otherwise) be sure to get a picture of it (safely) to post on the San Diego Cache Critters thread.

Nice job James.

Don't see any substantiating articles on the Internet and the

San Diego source mentions that the claim is anecdotal. Hard

to imagine that an evolutionary change has actually occurred

in our lifetime for Pacific Western Rattlesnakes.

More snake bites they say? How about there's more people?

Sounds like a typical report from the news media ... "More

crime reported in New York during the last deciade!" Well of

course there is, there's more people in New York during the

last decade.

One thing for sure, the Southern Pacific breed are much more

aggressive than the Red Diamond. The reds will sort of amble

away from an encounter whereas the Southern Pacific will go

postal from the outset.

Jutht keep in mind that thnaketh are our friendth ... and they

have only one way to rethpond to danger.

Keep in mind the Cardinal rules mentioned by James and give

some thought to my own patented snake-avoidance technique;

that is, whenever possible hike with a partner and do make sure

that your partner walks ahead of you on the trail. By spinning

your story just a tad you'll be seen as a caring person once you

run for and send help back to your ailing partner.

Stay cool and collected when your partner is struck, making

sure to snap a lot of pictures of the snake and of the oozing

punture marks. Follow up by visiting your partner during treat-

ment and recovery so that you can add more photos to your

online collection of snake-bite photos.

With any luck your snake-bitten partner will be nominated for

an Yrium TNG-card and so your photographs will provide for

and interesting TNG-card photo-layout.

Glad t' help,

Harmon

917e03c6-c6bd-4ddf-a660-e3ba4f233dec.jpg

On trail at saddle between South and North Fortuna in MTRP

0f508f1b-f62a-46f7-8fa3-5162d1142b2e.jpg

Horsethief Canyon between parking area and fire station

Edited by SD Rowdies
:unsure: We received some sad news from Armynate this week: "Lostguy" suffered a stroke...on Wednesday I believe....just a few days after our 50 mile bike ride to Ensenada :D . He was still in the hospital today, but may be moving to a rehab facility soon. I will call his wife to see if there is a phone number...or if he is allowed visitors. I don't have details many details, but will try to find out. With all of San Diego geocachers pulling for him I know he'll make a full recovery. He might not be as fast on the uphills for awhile, but his son said he can stand now which sounds like great news. Lets's keep Dick in our thoughts and prayers......

:unsure: We received some sad news from Armynate this week: "Lostguy" suffered a stroke...on Wednesday I believe....just a few days after our 50 mile bike ride to Ensenada :D . He was still in the hospital today, but may be moving to a rehab facility soon. I will call his wife to see if there is a phone number...or if he is allowed visitors. I don't have details many details, but will try to find out. With all of San Diego geocachers pulling for him I know he'll make a full recovery. He might not be as fast on the uphills for awhile, but his son said he can stand now which sounds like great news. Lets's keep Dick in our thoughts and prayers......

Prayers going up! I'm sure that all that know Dick are geared up and ready for action to help in any way we can. Thanks for the 411

Prayers going up! I'm sure that all that know Dick are geared up and ready for action to help in any way we can. Thanks for the 411

Yes, we are... Standing by for whatever is most appropriate...

:D Most bummed to hear this news this evening. :D

Hoping to hear good news soon...

I am also bummed to hear this too. My thoughts and prayers are with Dick and his family...

I am also bummed to hear this too. My thoughts and prayers are with Dick and his family...

So sorry to hear about this. I'm praying for a full and speedy recovery.

So sorry to hear about this. I'm praying for a full and speedy recovery.

Thank you so much for passing on the word so we can pray for Dick and his family :D . Your willingness to keep us all posted is greatly appreciated, too. My prayers continue.

It's so hard to find the right words to say, but just know Dick, that you have a great, big geocaching family here pulling for you to make a speedy recovery and get back on that bike!

The Splashes

:) We received some sad news from Armynate this week: "Lostguy" suffered a stroke...on Wednesday I believe....just a few days after our 50 mile bike ride to Ensenada :) . He was still in the hospital today, but may be moving to a rehab facility soon. I will call his wife to see if there is a phone number...or if he is allowed visitors. I don't have details many details, but will try to find out. With all of San Diego geocachers pulling for him I know he'll make a full recovery. He might not be as fast on the uphills for awhile, but his son said he can stand now which sounds like great news. Lets's keep Dick in our thoughts and prayers......

It's so hard to find the right words to say, but just know Dick, that you have a great, big geocaching family here pulling for you to make a speedy recovery and get back on that bike!

The Splashes

He and his family are in our thoughts. We look forward to hearing good news on his progress!

Hello all San Diego Geocachers, this is armynate with an update on my father "lostguy". He was able to take a few steps today with a little help and even managed to walk up a couple stairs also during his rehab eval. Thank you all for the words of encouragement and keeping him in your prayers. He is currently at the Grossmont Rehab Center in room 166B. Visiting hours are from 7:30 am- 8:00 pm. My mother said he could use some cheering up from his geocaching family. Thank you all again for your concerns. Best times for visiting would be in the evening as most of his rehab takes place in the morning.

Sincere thanks,

Nathan(armynate)

Hello all San Diego Geocachers, this is armynate with an update on my father "lostguy". He was able to take a few steps today with a little help and even managed to walk up a couple stairs also during his rehab eval. Thank you all for the words of encouragement and keeping him in your prayers. He is currently at the Grossmont Rehab Center in room 166B. Visiting hours are from 7:30 am- 8:00 pm. My mother said he could use some cheering up from his geocaching family. Thank you all again for your concerns. Best times for visiting would be in the evening as most of his rehab takes place in the morning.

Sincere thanks,

Nathan(armynate)

John and I visited Dick today and he definitely is welcome to visitors. I think he enjoyed our cache stories. He's a tad bored and needs some encouragement. We told him about riding bikes with Fattboy and Skillet and he was actually trying to laugh thinking about Fattboy on a bike! He starts therapy at least a few times a day tomorrow and he's gonna give it his all that's for sure. With some luck in a short while Marco will appprove a cache that will also give Dick some enjoyment...look for it....