The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Gina Washington is the Senior Ranger for Penasquitos Preserve. You should be able to reach her at 858.538.8066

As an aside, if you want to report any suspected illegal activities (e.g. transient encampments) or needed maintenance, please use the same number.

And for Tecolote Canyon, Marion Bear and Rose Canyon Parks, you can call (858) 581-9961

For Black Mountain Preserve, you can call (858) 538-8082

For Mission Trails, you can call 619) 668-3275

Thanks!

Just to let everyone know, the rangers in Daley Ranch are removing every cache in the park that is more than an arm's length off a legal trail. They are in the process of checking on every cache in the park.

Caches in compliance receive this note:

Your geo-cache is on a legal trail or within arm's length of the trail Thank you for helping to preserve the Daley Ranch.

Caches not in compliance receive this note:

This geo-cache has been removed. To preserve and protect the Daley Ranch's resources any geo-caches that are located off trail or promote off trail activity will be removed. We support the recreational and educational benefits of geo-caching. If you would like to pick up your geo-cache and/or relocate it, Park Ranger staff at the Dixon Lake Ranger Station will be happy to assist you.

Even though there were a handful of caches taken, the good news is that we can still geocache in that park! :laughing:

Engelmann Oak Trail was removed.

Patriots Ever Mighty was removed.

They left Crest Trail-Coyote Bait and Mallard Trail-You're Desthpicable.

I have not received notice yet on East of Inlet, but it's in the Dixon Lake area. It's still the city, but different rangers I suppose. At least they had the courtesy to tell us and give us a reason, which is something I guess. It might have been nice to get a note first.

Neither of the removed caches was a threat to the environment, or I would not have placed them where I did.

Parsa

Just to let everyone know, the rangers in Daley Ranch are removing every cache in the park that is more than an arm's length off a legal trail. They are in the process of checking on every cache in the park.

Your geo-cache is on a legal trail or within arm's length of the trail Thank you for helping to preserve the Daley Ranch.

This geo-cache has been removed. To preserve and protect the Daley Ranch's resources any geo-caches that are located off trail or promote off trail activity will be removed. We support the recreational and educational benefits of geo-caching. If you would like to pick up your geo-cache and/or relocate it, Park Ranger staff at the Dixon Lake Ranger Station will be happy to assist you.

Even though there were a handful of caches taken, the good news is that we can still geocache in that park! :laughing:

Edited by Parsa

I have not received notice yet on East of Inlet, but it's in the Dixon Lake area. It's still the city, but different rangers I suppose. At least they had the courtesy to tell us and give us a reason, which is something I guess. It might have been nice to get a note first.

Neither of the removed caches was a threat to the environment, or I would not have placed them where I did.

Parsa

They removed one of mine too. I archived my two puzzles up there because they were not "arm's length" from a legal trail and because I want to comply with the new rules to keep caching in a good light in the park. At least this park came up with some new rules to caching alive. Edited by TrailGators

Parsa

Even though there were a handful of caches taken, the good news is that we can still geocache in that park! :blink:

They removed one of mine too. I archived my two puzzles up there because they were not "arm's length" from a legal trail and because I want to comply with the new rules to keep caching in a good light in the park. At least this park came up with some new rules to caching alive.

This is a much more level headed response than the response from some park managers and it's good that they understand the value in geocaching. Maybe they can talk to those other park managers out in that easterly direction. :laughing:

I guess Penasquitos Canyon Mudslide will be closed for a while. Does anyone know of a website or phone number where we can check in a few days to see if it has been reopened? I can't find one, but there must be one, especially for the horsie people who wouldn't want to load up ol' Dobbin in the trailer and drive over there only to find it closed.

Current status for Penasquitos:

We were able to open the North Main Trail except between Side Hill and Wagon Wheel, also the north single track between PQ Creek Park and Carson Crossing is closed b/c an oak tree fell across it and we can't get to it right now.

All Creek Crossings and the South Side Trails are Closed

The TCT east of Black Mountain Road is open again.

Gina Washington

Senior Park Ranger, Open Space Division

City Of San Diego, Park & Recreation Department

(858) 538-8066 phone

:lol:

Hi Folks, This may have already been posted to one of your numerous forums........ This AM I was out at the "Sidewinder CHP Barracks" just to the west of Yuma. In the conversation the subject of GPSr and mounting them came up..........I was given the following.

Global Positioning Systems (G.P.S.) (SB 1567, Oropeza) This new law allows a portable G.P.S. device to be mounted in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield on the passenger side of the vehicle, or in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield on the driver’s side. These are the only two locations on a windshield where a G.P.S. device can be mounted. The G.P.S. device can only be used for navigational purposes while the motor vehicle is being operated, and it is required to be mounted outside of an airbag deployment zone.

I'll check here in AZ to see what's up on these sides......... (another-Post)

Stay Well, GIDEON-X

:D

Hi Folks, This may have already been posted to one of your numerous forums........ This AM I was out at the "Sidewinder CHP Barracks" just to the west of Yuma. In the conversation the subject of GPSr and mounting them came up..........I was given the following.

Global Positioning Systems (G.P.S.) (SB 1567, Oropeza) This new law allows a portable G.P.S. device to be mounted in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield on the passenger side of the vehicle, or in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield on the driver’s side. These are the only two locations on a windshield where a G.P.S. device can be mounted. The G.P.S. device can only be used for navigational purposes while the motor vehicle is being operated, and it is required to be mounted outside of an airbag deployment zone.

There are only two states, California and Minnesota, that prohibit affixing devices (e.g. a GPSr) to the windscreen. SB 1567,which went into effect on Jan 1, 2009, allows for exceptions as described above.

The fine, by the way, for mounting a device (except as described above) to your windscreen is $108. I've never heard of anyone getting ticket though...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
:D

There are only two states, California and Minnesota, that prohibit affixing devices (e.g. a GPSr) to the windscreen. SB 1567,which went into effect on Jan 1, 2009, allows for exceptions as described above.

The fine, by the way, for mounting a device (except as described above) to your windscreen is $108. I've never heard of anyone getting ticket though...

ARIZONA:

AZ 28-959.01 Materials on widows or windshield; exceptions; requirements; violation; definitions.

5. Signs, Stickers or other materials that are either;

(*) Displayed in a seven inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver.

(*) Displayed in a five inch square in the lower corner of the wind shield nearest the driver;

:D Check out Gratefuldad116's hike/run at Otay today....way cool. Of course there is a spolier picture in there also....

Otay Eco Preserve

Wow!!! That was the same hike I did today!! I was following his logs all day long... Very cool!!! :D

Nice! I'm always amazed at how San Diego greens-up when the rains come...

:D Very nice to watch that! Thank you for sharing it. Wasn't there more than one spoiler, tho? ... :D or am I seein' things in my ol' age?

This is our yearly reminder to consider taking your canine friend(s) through a rattlesnake avoidance course. Ginger! has had a session plus a refresher course, and will be getting another refresher course this year. It will be Mocha!'s first session. We've used Patrick Callahan in the past, but may use Natural Solutions this year. There is also High on Kennels in Santa Ysabel, but their 2009 schedule is not out yet, and it's a bit of a drive - but there are some caches I need out there.

Ginger! has had two direct rattler encounters in which she encountered the snake first and jumped out of the way as soon as it started rattling. The refresher course will be to focus on the sight and smell avoidance as that is her weak point. Plus, there are accounts of rattle-less rattlesnakes making the news.

This is our yearly reminder to consider taking your canine friend(s) through a rattlesnake avoidance course. Ginger! has had a session plus a refresher course, and will be getting another refresher course this year. It will be Mocha!'s first session. We've used Patrick Callahan in the past, but may use Natural Solutions this year. There is also High on Kennels in Santa Ysabel, but their 2009 schedule is not out yet, and it's a bit of a drive - but there are some caches I need out there.

Ginger! has had two direct rattler encounters in which she encountered the snake first and jumped out of the way as soon as it started rattling. The refresher course will be to focus on the sight and smell avoidance as that is her weak point. Plus, there are accounts of rattle-less rattlesnakes making the news.

:D:):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:blink::D

Hi Chuy!

Kurt would like me to also take Bubba to the class you go to for Mocha! since they are the same age and their first training. I would like to inquire about a discount for cachers of course! let me know at I will persue it as we have a personal network to qualify as well.

:laughing::D:D:ph34r::D:ph34r::):ph34r::D:D:D

Hi Chuy!

Kurt would like me to also take Bubba to the class you go to for Mocha! since they are the same age and their first training. I would like to inquire about a discount for cachers of course! let me know at I will persue it as we have a personal network to qualify as well.

We're members of the San Diego Off Leash Meetup group; they're planning a session April 4th and 5th with the Natural Solutions group.

:):D:D:D:D:D:D:blink::D:blink::D

Hi Chuy!

We're members of the San Diego Off Leash Meetup group; they're planning a session April 4th and 5th with the Natural Solutions group.

:):D:D:D:D:D:D:blink::D:blink::D

Hi Chuy!

I had Teddie take Calahans course and a refresher one the next year . She has allerted to 3 ratlesnakes that I know off. There was one on Long Valley Peak where I was upwind and in the lead of Dillweed and Teddie. Dillweed heard the snake and of course being deaf, I had already walked by it, we looked for Teddie but she had gone all the way down and up the other side of this 100' abutment then came back down to me

:):D:D:D:D:blink::D:blink::D:blink::D

Hi Chuy!

I had Teddie take Calahans course and a refresher one the next year . She has allerted to 3 ratlesnakes that I know off. There was one on Long Valley Peak where I was upwind and in the lead of Dillweed and Teddie. Dillweed heard the snake and of course being deaf, I had already walked by it, we looked for Teddie but she had gone all the way down and up the other side of this 100' abutment then came back down to me

:D There is also a class in Jamul at the Summerfields Kennels March 21 & 22 held by the Southwestern Rottweiler Club of San Diego. 619-445-8309 619-478-5152

Here's a new way to get the big numbers quick.

GCH7FY.

You put out a cache then have someone adopt it and you can go find it and log as a find.

:):D:D:D:D:D

:D:P

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA !!!! ;)

I THINK I WILL LET TEAM FATMAN ADOPT MY CACHES ! :blink:

THEN I WILL ADOPT HIS CACHES ! :D

AND WE CAN GO OUT AND 177 CACHES IN ONE DAY ! :D

:blink: FATTBOY :blink:

Just a heads up to everyone out there that knows Randy Thunder-4. Randy ended up in the hospital yesterday evening, and suddenly discovered that his kidney function has dropped to 5% of normal. He has undergone one dialysis treatment already and will have another treatment tomorrow and then again on Sunday. He will be facing the need for dialysis 3-times per week from now on, so needless to say this has been a life-changing revelation for him. He will be in Room 630 at Sharp Memorial Hospital on Frost Street (near Children's Hosp. in Kearney Mesa) until late Monday, and would welcome calls and visitors just about any time. The phone number is 858-939-3400 and just ask for Room 630. Feel free to call me at 858-335-9590 if you want more information. I saw him tonight, and his spirits are good (Randy has such an awesome attitude about everything). I'm planning to go back tomorrow with some comic books or something fun like that.

Just a heads up to everyone out there that knows Randy Thunder-4. Randy ended up in the hospital yesterday evening, and suddenly discovered that his kidney function has dropped to 5% of normal. He has undergone one dialysis treatment already and will have another treatment tomorrow and then again on Sunday. He will be facing the need for dialysis 3-times per week from now on, so needless to say this has been a life-changing revelation for him. He will be in Room 630 at Sharp Memorial Hospital on Frost Street (near Children's Hosp. in Kearney Mesa) until late Monday, and would welcome calls and visitors just about any time. The phone number is 858-939-3400 and just ask for Room 630. Feel free to call me at 858-335-9590 if you want more information. I saw him tonight, and his spirits are good (Randy has such an awesome attitude about everything). I'm planning to go back tomorrow with some comic books or something fun like that.

Tell Randy to get well we got trash to pick up next month.

Thanks for the heads up on Randy.

Tell him to get well.

:rolleyes: Wow! Golly! :unsure: That's a shock to the ol' system. Hang in there, buddy!

:unsure: Wow! Golly! B) That's a shock to the ol' system. Hang in there, buddy!

We are with you in spirit Randy, hoping for the best outcome there can be.

There's a huge Geocaching Family here that really cares about you, including us!

Steve & Janie :rolleyes::(

;) Wow! Golly! :D That's a shock to the ol' system. Hang in there, buddy!

There's a huge Geocaching Family here that really cares about you, including us!

Steve & Janie :anibad::D

:D Ditto what all the others have said Randy. If ya need anything let us know. Heck..we'll even place caches around the dialysis center for ya if you want :D John and I wish you the the best.....

Edited by jahoadi and john

:D Ditto what all the others have said Randy. If ya need anything let us know. Heck..we'll even place caches around the dialysis center for ya if you want :D John and I wish you the the best.....

Thanks for all your thoughts and calls. That really means a lot to me!

I'm doing well. I did my second dialysis today and I can say that I already feel a lot better already. I have another dialysis session tomorrow and then I may go home on Monday.

Thanks for all your thoughts and calls. That really means a lot to me!

I'm doing well. I did my second dialysis today and I can say that I already feel a lot better already. I have another dialysis session tomorrow and then I may go home on Monday.

Glad to hear you're feeling better. If you need anything, let us know. Cya,

D!

Hey, I just wanted to get the word out there. I have been working on a project for almost 2 months now and just finished it, a Bike-N-Cache trail in San Diego. It is 14 + miles long on a path that is good for the entire family (hike, bike, run, jog, skate, whatever).

I have received approval on all caches and they are ready to be released - I'll be releasing them Saturday morning (3/21/09). There are a total of 50 caches ( I left plenty of room for other cachers to add to the trail if they feel it's needed.) So a week from Saturday there will be 50 FTF opportunities on this BikeNcache trail and I wanted to alert you. It is possible to join the trail in several locations, so everyone has a chance for some FTF's. In each of the cache listings I include a URL to the Goggle Pedometer site with the entire trail laid out, and you can drill down on the map and choose where you want to start.

I am not going to be giving away any more information other than to say it is in the Rancho Bernardo area. Look for them to be released Saturday March 21st around 7am. I'll be there with family cachers who don't know anymore then you do.

Oh, this is a Bike or Hike and cache trail – there is no parking on any of this road – bike lane only. There are several side roads you can park on but that is it. It is unsafe for biker’s, for other drivers, and yourself if you try to park in the bike lanes, so lets not. I know we all get excited when there are FTF opportunities, so for everyone's protection I give the following warning....if I see anyone drive caching this trail and stopping in the bike lane I will remove their logs in all caches. Lets be safe out there...... hope to see you a week from Saturday.

Hey, I just wanted to get the word out there. I have been working on a project for almost 2 months now and just finished it, a Bike-N-Cache trail in San Diego. It is 14 + miles long on a path that is good for the entire family (hike, bike, run, jog, skate, whatever).

I have received approval on all caches and they are ready to be released - I'll be releasing them Saturday morning (3/21/09). There are a total of 50 caches ( I left plenty of room for other cachers to add to the trail if they feel it's needed.) So a week from Saturday there will be 50 FTF opportunities on this BikeNcache trail and I wanted to alert you. It is possible to join the trail in several locations, so everyone has a chance for some FTF's. In each of the cache listings I include a URL to the Goggle Pedometer site with the entire trail laid out, and you can drill down on the map and choose where you want to start.

I am not going to be giving away any more information other than to say it is in the Rancho Bernardo area. Look for them to be released Saturday March 21st around 7am. I'll be there with family cachers who don't know anymore then you do.

Oh, this is a Bike or Hike and cache trail – there is no parking on any of this road – bike lane only. There are several side roads you can park on but that is it. It is unsafe for biker's, for other drivers, and yourself if you try to park in the bike lanes, so lets not. I know we all get excited when there are FTF opportunities, so for everyone's protection I give the following warning....if I see anyone drive caching this trail and stopping in the bike lane I will remove their logs in all caches. Lets be safe out there...... hope to see you a week from Saturday.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy...can't wait!

It is my grandson's birthday on friday and like other boys his age, will be 7, he is a Star Wars fan.

Does anybody out there have a costume be it Darth Vader A Storm Trooper or a Jedi Knight that I can Borrow for party on friday?

Thanks John AKA Team Fatman

I thought this was amusing, John. If you end up in a PICKLE ... maybe you can get some COSTUME IDEAS from this:

On second thought ... maybe not. At least you know I did some research, tho.

:ph34r: Barrie

It is my grandson's birthday on friday and like other boys his age, will be 7, he is a Star Wars fan.

Does anybody out there have a costume be it Darth Vader A Storm Trooper or a Jedi Knight that I can Borrow for party on friday?

Thanks John AKA Team Fatman

I thought this was amusing, John. If you end up in a PICKLE ... maybe you can get some COSTUME IDEAS from this:

On second thought ... maybe not. At least you know I did some research, tho.

:blink: Barrie

Yea that was cool, will use this if needed.

Thanks. :D:laughing::blink:

Hmm, I wondered, how can I generate a Pocket Query that'll give me all of Ritz Crackers' new 50-states caches, without anything else, that I can load into GSAK? Probably everybody else has figured this out by now, but in case anybody hasn't, here's what I did:

I noticed they were all placed on March 8, except for Alabama, placed earlier, and the 3 non-states (Guam, P.R., and V.I., which were placed later). And they're all members-only. So the following plan at least gets 49 of the 53 and the rest you can get on paper or individual downloads.

Choose a cache more or less in the middle of the route; say, New Mexico. Run a PQ that gives you all active caches within 8 miles of that cache, that are members-only, and that were placed between March 8 and March 8. Bingo, exactly the 49 caches you want.

As I said, most of you probably figured this out, or an easier way, right around the time fire or the wheel were invented, but sum ov us iz kinda slo.

I'll see y'all out there, breathing the fumes of the 56, real soon!

Hmm, I wondered, how can I generate a Pocket Query that'll give me all of Ritz Crackers' new 50-states caches, without anything else, that I can load into GSAK? Probably everybody else has figured this out by now, but in case anybody hasn't, here's what I did:

I noticed they were all placed on March 8, except for Alabama, placed earlier, and the 3 non-states (Guam, P.R., and V.I., which were placed later). And they're all members-only. So the following plan at least gets 49 of the 53 and the rest you can get on paper or individual downloads.

Choose a cache more or less in the middle of the route; say, New Mexico. Run a PQ that gives you all active caches within 8 miles of that cache, that are members-only, and that were placed between March 8 and March 8. Bingo, exactly the 49 caches you want.

As I said, most of you probably figured this out, or an easier way, right around the time fire or the wheel were invented, but sum ov us iz kinda slo.

I'll see y'all out there, breathing the fumes of the 56, real soon!

For next time, if someone has created a bookmark list (like ThePolarBear did), go to that list and hit the "Create Pocket Query" button on the bottom of the page. Fumes ain't too bad if ya pick a windy day!

D!

Edited by Duncan!

Hey San Diego! We plan to visit from Tennessee in July. We'll be with non-cachers so we may just hit the highlights. Any recommendations for quality must-do caches? We enjoy scenic terrain. We normally love a good challenge, but will likely have time for only short hikes.

This may be our once-in-a-lifetime visit to SD, so we want to make it count. Thanks for any tips.

Hey San Diego! We plan to visit from Tennessee in July. We'll be with non-cachers so we may just hit the highlights. Any recommendations for quality must-do caches? We enjoy scenic terrain. We normally love a good challenge, but will likely have time for only short hikes.

This may be our once-in-a-lifetime visit to SD, so we want to make it count. Thanks for any tips.

This bookmark list is always a good place to start: San Diego's Consensus Favorites

And, in case this isn't enough, as you browse the caches on this list, you'll find a number of individual favorite bookmark lists which will yield many more highlights of the San Diego caching scene...

This bookmark list is always a good place to start: San Diego's Consensus Favorites

And, in case this isn't enough, as you browse the caches on this list, you'll find a number of individual favorite bookmark lists which will yield many more highlights of the San Diego caching scene...

Perfect. Thanks!