The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Ever feel like you are too busy clearing out the caches close to home to have time to grab the caches a little further away that might be more fun? But yet, I like caches close to home, too. It's just getting so hard to keep up.
I gave up on keeping up. A couple of years ago I had all 150 caches in Escondido cleared. Now there are ~150 more caches. So I'm saving them for times when I only feel like going out for an hour or so.

Yeah, good case in point is my Santee home-zone because it includes MTRP.

Just had five new hides pop up within a mile of my home coordinates. This

zone is so saturated that the practice of archiving to make space for new

hides has become common practice. On the other hand I was able to score

five new finds including a FTF while on my way to Barnes & Noble today.

It pleases me to see that many of the home-zone hides are being placed by

new Geocachers. Imagine what it's like for newbies, where the heck can you

find a place to hide a container in such a saturated zone?

Of course I do count my blessings having survived the 2006 MTRP Cache War

with my Geocaching interest intact. That engagement was a day-to-day grind

for weeks; no, months on end. I should feel good about outlasting Cegrube

but I actually miss that weezy, rheumy-eyed, knock-kneed old geezer. What

I learned from that battle is that you can finally wear-down a retired U.S.

Marine.

Hi Carl, kiss-kiss. How's that new walker workin' out for y'?

:laughing: Harmon...are you saying you want me to hide some caches in your home-zone for ya? You know I will. In fact I have an idea. :P You ask, I hide...funny how that works! :o r/ your buddy

Edited by jahoadi and john
Ever feel like you are too busy clearing out the caches close to home to have time to grab the caches a little further away that might be more fun? But yet, I like caches close to home, too. It's just getting so hard to keep up.
I gave up on keeping up. A couple of years ago I had all 150 caches in Escondido cleared. Now there are ~150 more caches. So I'm saving them for times when I only feel like going out for an hour or so.

Still a slave to the radius... 12-miles, in case you were wondering (and, yes, that includes all of MTRP). And a slave to the SD County puzzles. As of this moment, only three caches in said radius, and all three were published yesterday and today. And as for puzzle caches, only the Delorme Challenge which is really not a San Diego County puzzle cache... It feels good to keep all this cleaned up, but sometimes it does seem more like work than fun. But I've never really let it interfere with doing a nice hike somewhere outside of the radius...

I'm clear all the way out to 2 miles! :antenna: I'd have to find 577 caches to make it out to 12 miles. :unsure: I have a backlog on my to-do list of ~70 solved puzzles, 100 Dalmations, 48 cards, 4 Scooby's and 7 more historic caches. Now there's a Delorme challenge?! :grin::D

Marine.

:antenna: Harmon...are you saying you want me to hide some caches in your home-zone for ya? You know I will. In fact I have an idea. :D You ask, I hide...funny how that works! :unsure: r/ your buddy

What a pal you are, what with being my major home-zone nemesis.

By any chance are you running a training program for a bunch of

Santee newbies? Seems to be a newbie-cache outbreak within a

couple of miles from my home.

I had my home-zone clear until our master-bath refurbushment took

charge of my life. All of a sudden new home-zone hides started pop-

ping up by the dozens. Worse yet they started popping up along that

danged Pyle's Peak ridgeline, and they keep on popping up along that

rasty hogback due to a certain Lakeside lady by name of Splashette.

Just imagine how I felt when a new hide popped up only 0.1 mile from

my master-bathroom project. Good gosh!

Between new home-zone hides and that killer ex-nun series I'm so

deep into unfound hides that I'll never catch up. O for the good old

Geocaching days of 2001 when you wished for a new hide or two

every month.

Now see here Jodi, don't go saturating my home zone these next two

weeks 'cause I'll be otherwise occupied. Don't make me drive down

there and spank you.

Otay!

Edited by SD Rowdies

Marine.

:D Harmon...are you saying you want me to hide some caches in your home-zone for ya? You know I will. In fact I have an idea. :unsure: You ask, I hide...funny how that works! :grin: r/ your buddy

every month.

there and spank you.

Otay!

:antenna: Home Zone Hide #1: Just to tempt Harmon

Home Zone Hide #2: Just to encourage Harmon

Home Zone Hide #3: A Rest Stop for Harmon

Home Zone Hide #4: Just to make Harmon keep Going

Home Zone Hide #5: Jus to make Harmon Mad

I'm just practicing with the cache names...see how I included a rest stop for you?

What would you do without me? r/ your pal jodi

Marine.

:D Harmon...are you saying you want me to hide some caches in your home-zone for ya? You know I will. In fact I have an idea. :unsure: You ask, I hide...funny how that works! :grin: r/ your buddy

every month.

there and spank you.

Otay!

:antenna: Home Zone Hide #1: Just to tempt Harmon

Home Zone Hide #2: Just to encourage Harmon

Home Zone Hide #3: A Rest Stop for Harmon

Home Zone Hide #4: Just to make Harmon keep Going

Home Zone Hide #5: Jus to make Harmon Mad

I'm just practicing with the cache names...see how I included a rest stop for you?

What would you do without me? r/ your pal jodi

Why I oughta .... Just you wait Jodi!

heh heh! Do it, Jodi.

But seriously, due to the exponential growth of this game, I'm sure everyone reading this is having a harder and harder time keeping their area of choice cleared out. Even Flagman can't keep a 12 mile radius cleared out forever. So eventually you just have to give up and make choices. I've been getting pickier about individual caches, but now I'm thinking about giving up on certain areas. Like giving up caching in Mira Mesa and Kearny Mesa. And downtown. And maybe Hillcrest. Then maybe I would spend more time caching in places I like more, like anywhere near Mission Bay or the coastline, Coronado, Poway, Tierrasanta, MTRP, RSD, etc. Like mentally making blind spots for certain places on a map. I dunno, it probably won't work.

But I think I'd feel happier about my caching experience if I could convince my brain to go on a short hike or bike ride in MTRP rather than driving around to pick up a few random ones in my home radius. Doesn't that sound crazy? I mean, they can both be fun. It's just that I used to be able to do both. And still hold down a job and have a family life. Don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun caching. I'm just lamenting the difficult choices.

heh heh! Do it, Jodi.

But seriously, due to the exponential growth of this game, I'm sure everyone reading this is having a harder and harder time keeping their area of choice cleared out. Even Flagman can't keep a 12 mile radius cleared out forever. So eventually you just have to give up and make choices. I've been getting pickier about individual caches, but now I'm thinking about giving up on certain areas. Like giving up caching in Mira Mesa and Kearny Mesa. And downtown. And maybe Hillcrest. Then maybe I would spend more time caching in places I like more, like anywhere near Mission Bay or the coastline, Coronado, Poway, Tierrasanta, MTRP, RSD, etc. Like mentally making blind spots for certain places on a map. I dunno, it probably won't work.

But I think I'd feel happier about my caching experience if I could convince my brain to go on a short hike or bike ride in MTRP rather than driving around to pick up a few random ones in my home radius. Doesn't that sound crazy? I mean, they can both be fun. It's just that I used to be able to do both. And still hold down a job and have a family life. Don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun caching. I'm just lamenting the difficult choices.

Ah, yes... The days when I had a 19 mile radius cleared, and soooooooo close to 20-miles!!! I went to sleep like Harmon for a week or so, and there were 200+ caches in that radius. No way I will ever get back to that. But 12-miles has been pretty maintainable for me, although I have a love/hate relationship with it sometimes...

Ah, yes... The days when I had a 19 mile radius cleared, and soooooooo close to 20-miles!!! I went to sleep like Harmon for a week or so, and there were 200+ caches in that radius. No way I will ever get back to that. But 12-miles has been pretty maintainable for me, although I have a love/hate relationship with it sometimes...

There was a time when I had 11 miles cleared, including all of MTRP and the parts of Elfin Forest that, while only 10 miles away required a 30 mile drive to get to. It all ended with a pair of TT puzzle bombs. I went to India and the whole thing exploded. For awhile, I managed to maintain things at 40 caches in 11 miles until recently when the combination of 101 Dalmatians and a trip down to Penguinland caused the 11 mile cache count to pop up to about 120. And lately, with the dynamic duo of Ritz Crackers and Zenlunatic filling up Mira Mesa, I'm not even keeping 5 miles cleared.

I truly envy those folks who have enough time to actually maintain a 10-12 mile radius. But that's just not possible for me at the moment.

In the meantime, I've discovered that there is a tremendous freedom in giving up on the radius rat race. No longer must I spend time on crap caches just because they are in the zone. Instead I just ignore them until they get archived (a short time for most crap caches, I've noticed.) I've even considered ignoring all micros (most of which are not crap but nevertheless are rather ho-hum.) Every so often though, a micro comes along that has something original and/or humorous and that's what keeps micros in my Pocket Queries... (NanoMan's series of squishy micros comes to mind...)

So in the end, it's all good. Like sex, a bad cache is better than no cache, right? (Ms. LLOT chimes here and says "No..." but maybe that's a topic better left to another time... :antenna: )

There was a time when I had 11 miles cleared, including all of MTRP and the parts of Elfin Forest that, while only 10 miles away required a 30 mile drive to get to. It all ended with a pair of TT puzzle bombs. I went to India and the whole thing exploded. For awhile, I managed to maintain things at 40 caches in 11 miles until recently when the combination of 101 Dalmatians and a trip down to Penguinland caused the 11 mile cache count to pop up to about 120. And lately, with the dynamic duo of Ritz Crackers and Zenlunatic filling up Mira Mesa, I'm not even keeping 5 miles cleared.

I truly envy those folks who have enough time to actually maintain a 10-12 mile radius. But that's just not possible for me at the moment.

In the meantime, I've discovered that there is a tremendous freedom in giving up on the radius rat race. No longer must I spend time on crap caches just because they are in the zone. Instead I just ignore them until they get archived (a short time for most crap caches, I've noticed.) I've even considered ignoring all micros (most of which are not crap but nevertheless are rather ho-hum.) Every so often though, a micro comes along that has something original and/or humorous and that's what keeps micros in my Pocket Queries... (NanoMan's series of squishy micros comes to mind...)

So in the end, it's all good. Like sex, a bad cache is better than no cache, right? (Ms. LLOT chimes here and says "No..." but maybe that's a topic better left to another time... :D )

:D You all have really good points. I just wonder why it's so important to have a "zone" cleared? I have no idea how many caches we have in our zone..not many I think because RSD is pretty dead right now. I guess it's just the "thing" to do...like finding at least one a day for three years ( today is our 3rd anniversary ;) ) With Harmon's help we've been trying to get you all out there hiking....the series in Otay is a great hike with water flowing if you hurry...the nun series is a heart pumper which is filling the critter pages. Wolf Canyon is short but just beautiful. I'll have another Harmon Zone trail here in a few days. We'll admit to putting micros on these trails becuase let's face it...who trades swag anymore? There are lots of new cachers in San Diego and I think they're all having fun and are really excited to be finding caches anywhere...under lampskirts and at bus stops so I just smile and remember those good 'ole days. We still enjoy a parking lot cache and dash...I guess that is a true sign of addiction.

It's ok to ignore an area....just 'cause you live there doesn't mean you have to cache there....Just do what you want and HAVE FUN!

OBTW...John had a 35 mile area cleared in Fallon and it took a month once for one of our caches to be found and it was an ammo can at a really scenic spot...and Habu! was FTF...imagine that!

Ron.....I have some of the same struggles..I used to run 5 miles a day..now I drive 15 to grab a micro and go home. If I could just channel that "drive" in a more positive direction it would be awesome, but the temptation is there isn't it? If you figure out how to drive past an easy one let me know....

Edited by jahoadi and john

So in the end, it's all good. Like sex, a bad cache is better than no cache, right? (Ms. LLOT chimes here and says "No..." but maybe that's a topic better left to another time... :D )

:D You all have really good points. I just wonder why it's so important to have a "zone" cleared? I have no idea how many caches we have in our zone..not many I think because RSD is pretty dead right now. I guess it's just the "thing" to do...like finding at least one a day for three years ( today is our 3rd anniversary ;) ) With Harmon's help we've been trying to get you all out there hiking....the series in Otay is a great hike with water flowing if you hurry...the nun series is a heart pumper which is filling the critter pages. Wolf Canyon is short but just beautiful. I'll have another Harmon Zone trail here in a few days. We'll admit to putting micros on these trails becuase let's face it...who trades swag anymore? There are lots of new cachers in San Diego and I think they're all having fun and are really excited to be finding caches anywhere...under lampskirts and at bus stops so I just smile and remember those good 'ole days. We still enjoy a parking lot cache and dash...I guess that is a true sign of addiction.

It's ok to ignore an area....just 'cause you live there doesn't mean you have to cache there....Just do what you want and HAVE FUN!

OBTW...John had a 35 mile area cleared in Fallon and it took a month once for one of our caches to be found and it was an ammo can at a really scenic spot...and Habu! was FTF...imagine that!

Ron.....I have some of the same struggles..I used to run 5 miles a day..now I drive 15 to grab a micro and go home. If I could just channel that "drive" in a more positive direction it would be awesome, but the temptation is there isn't it? If you figure out how to drive past an easy one let me know....

I think James was talking about urban micros, Jodi. I enjoy micros on a nice hike. The only exception would be one that stops me from hiking for a prolonged period of time while I lift up a bazillion rocks looking for it. I blow those types off now. Anyhow, the game is about different things to different people, but it is about location for me. We live in such an awesome area! :D

I just wonder why it's so important to have a "zone" cleared?

:D And why is it so important to find a cache every day? ;)

Actually, no need to answer. We each have our little obsessions. :D

let's face it...who trades swag anymore?

Interesting question. Here's my answer to it.

1. Kids -- There are still lots of parents getting into geocaching and they bring the young'uns along. And a lot of the young'uns aren't interesting in the finding. They want to explore the loot. True, these aren't high mileage cachers nor are they in in the majority but they are still present.
  2. Travel Bug and Coin Movers -- Not exactly trading swag but it's hard to drop off a TB in a micro.
  3. Me -- It's rare but occasionally I find something in a cache that interests me. So I try to have some trade goods for those rare events. Just a little bonus on top of the general fun of it.

I don't have any problem with anyone who places micros (with certain exceptions.) But for the reasons above, I've begun place only caches that are at least large enough for a regular sized geocoin.

I think James was talking about urban micros, Jodi. I enjoy micros on a nice hike.

TG is correct. It's the total experience that counts. If the cache is placed on an interesting place or on an interesting trail, I don't consider the cache to be ho-hum even if it's just a bison tube and log. Likewise, if it was an interesting puzzle that led to micro, then it's still interesting.

The quintessential example of ho-hum is a altoids tin skirt lifter behind a Walmart. The location isn't interesting because there's 5000 more just like it. The hide isn't interesting because there's a 10000 more just like it and the container isn't interesting because there are 15000 more just like it. The cache page isn't interesting because well, you know... But change just one of those four elements to something offbeat or unusual and now it becomes interesting.

And yes, I'll still log the ho-hum ones if they are convenient. But I won't go very far out of my way just to bag one. I drive right on by knowing that there's another cache that's more interesting not very far away.

We live in such an awesome area! :D

Sure can't argue with that! ;) (And the cachers here are pretty awesome too...)

I think James was talking about urban micros, Jodi. I enjoy micros on a nice hike. The only exception would be one that stops me from hiking for a prolonged period of time while I lift up a bazillion rocks looking for it. I blow those types off now. Anyhow, the game is about different things to different people, but it is about location for me. We live in such an awesome area! :D

Yeah, awesome, give me a steep power trail loaded with Bison tubes in big bushes, the tubes wrapped in cammo duct-tape and covered with glued-on leaves and sticks. ... hang it in the center of the bush down low too, now that's an addiction find. Fact is that's where I get my rest for the uphills, you know, thirty minutes spent looking for each micro-find while the sun is sinking below the horizon.

Lately I've been thrilled to see designated rest stops for Harmon showing up on new power trails. Jodi sure looks after me and I sure need it; whereas, when I hike with Janie she just prods me up the steep hilles with her hiking stick.

In truth I walk away from finds of any kind with a smug glow of satisfaction. Every find brings to mind friends and experiences that I wouldn't trade for marbles, money, or chalk. Seventy-four years of age and still poking around in lampost skirts, bushes, trees, fences, drains, riprap, and front yards. What's right about that picture?

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Edited by SD Rowdies

Yeah, awesome, give me a steep power trail loaded with Bison tubes in big bushes, the tubes wrapped in cammo duct-tape and covered with glued-on leaves and sticks. ... hang it in the center of the bush down low too, now that's an addiction find. Fact is that's where I get my rest for the uphills, you know, thirty minutes spent looking for each micro-find while the sun is sinking below the horizon.

Lately I've been thrilled to see designated rest stops for Harmon showing up on new power trails. Jodi sure looks after me and I sure need it; whereas, when I hike with Janie she just prods me up the steep hilles with her hiking stick.

In truth I walk away from finds of any kind with a smug glow of satisfaction. Every find brings to mind friends and experiences that I wouldn't trade for marbles, money, or chalk. Seventy-four years of age and still poking around in lampost skirts, bushes, trees, fences, drains, riprap, and front yards. What's right about that picture?

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Holy crap!! I hope you guys like my new series... But I gotta warn ya -- 5 micros and a decon...

The quintessential example of ho-hum is a altoids tin skirt lifter behind a Walmart. The location isn't interesting because there's 5000 more just like it. The hide isn't interesting because there's a 10000 more just like it and the container isn't interesting because there are 15000 more just like it. The cache page isn't interesting because well, you know... But change just one of those four elements to something offbeat or unusual and now it becomes interesting.
I couldn't agree more. However one of my favorite caches was Behind the WalMart. :D I did that one when it was still a multi. I still have no idea how the 1st waypoint could have disappeared. Anyhow, that cache along with Dan-oh's many other creative caches are really fun. Edited by TrailGators

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Holy crap!! I hope you guys like my new series... But I gotta warn ya -- 5 micros and a decon...

Correction... Only three got published. That pinko commie found some hidden WPs to nearby puzzle caches and refused to publish the other three...

I couldn't agree more. However one of my favorite caches was Behind the WalMart. :D I did that one when it was still a multi. I still have no idea how the 1st waypoint could have disappeared. Anyhow, that cache along with Dan-oh's many other creative caches are really fun.

The exception that proves the rule...

That was an exceptionally good cache when the first WP was present (and still a good'un now...)

For the record, I found seven micros this afternoon. Three of them were top notch wicked clever hides and the others, while not quite up to the caliber of the other three, were still pretty good. Not a ho-hum one in the bunch. Just goes to show that it's not time to give up on micros just yet... :D

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

1. Kids -- There are still lots of parents getting into geocaching and they bring the young'uns along. And a lot of the young'uns aren't interesting in the finding. They want to explore the loot. True, these aren't high mileage cachers nor are they in in the majority but they are still present.
  2. Travel Bug and Coin Movers -- Not exactly trading swag but it's hard to drop off a TB in a micro.
  3. Me -- It's rare but occasionally I find something in a cache that interests me. So I try to have some trade goods for those rare events. Just a little bonus on top of the general fun of it.

I don't have any problem with anyone who places micros (with certain exceptions.) But for the reasons above, I've begun place only caches that are at least large enough for a regular sized geocoin.

I think James was talking about urban micros, Jodi. I enjoy micros on a nice hike.

TG is correct. It's the total experience that counts. If the cache is placed on an interesting place or on an interesting trail, I don't consider the cache to be ho-hum even if it's just a bison tube and log. Likewise, if it was an interesting puzzle that led to micro, then it's still interesting.

And yes, I'll still log the ho-hum ones if they are convenient. But I won't go very far out of my way just to bag one. I drive right on by knowing that there's another cache that's more interesting not very far away.

I couldn't agree more. I don't think I've ever been on a great hike just to be disappointed at the size of the cache I found.

I couldn't agree more. I don't think I've ever been on a great hike just to be disappointed at the size of the cache I found.

Case in point: two summers ago, BnB and I went on a roadtrip up to the Bay Area. Along the way, we stopped in Lompoc, CA for a rest (Nice town). We had pre-scouted a truck trail in the area that ran up Figueroa Mtn. Most of them were simple bison tubes and ammo cans, but it was so beautiful up there that they were still fun. And, there were a few really unique pieces of swag in there that I grabbed. At the end, we took a picture at the gates of the famous Neverland Ranch. The caches were ordinary, but the placement made them extraordinary.

Also, I might try to follow Jodis advice and break up my 'civilian death-trap' cache and turn it into a multiple-part puzzle series. I could break up my work that way and make it more cache-war-like of me. I remember learning how cache wars work from one of the best generals in SD from the MTRP War, which makes it a little more fun. Anyway, I have less brain strength for this stuff after class, now, so I might have to take a while to set her up.

:D And why is it so important to find a cache every day? :D

Sure can't argue with that! B) (And the cachers here are pretty awesome too...)

Case in point: two summers ago, BnB and I went on a roadtrip up to the Bay Area. Along the way, we stopped in Lompoc, CA for a rest (Nice town). We had pre-scouted a truck trail in the area that ran up Figueroa Mtn. Most of them were simple bison tubes and ammo cans, but it was so beautiful up there that they were still fun. And, there were a few really unique pieces of swag in there that I grabbed. At the end, we took a picture at the gates of the famous Neverland Ranch. The caches were ordinary, but the placement made them extraordinary.

Also, I might try to follow Jodis advice and break up my 'civilian death-trap' cache and turn it into a multiple-part puzzle series. I could break up my work that way and make it more cache-war-like of me. I remember learning how cache wars work from one of the best generals in SD from the MTRP War, which makes it a little more fun. Anyway, I have less brain strength for this stuff after class, now, so I might have to take a while to set her up.

:D Yes, by all means ... try to follow Jahoadi's advice. Can't go wrong there, soldier. I'm glad my numerous prayers :D seem to have been answered (THANK YOU, GOD!) regarding the death caching thing ... I figure I've spared many of my local geo-buddies lives. Whew! That sure is a relief, I tell ya. Mhmm. Woah, does that make me a geo-hero (I'm not talking about a sandwich, either)? :D That outta be worth a few lifelines, I reckon!

boysnbarrie

Hey, is it my imagination, or are puzzles getting solved and visited by fewer people these days? I haven't tried to prove it statistically or anything, but I'm just getting the feeling that people are visiting puzzles less, maybe because there are so many other choices.
Here are my four loneliest puzzles:

American Pie last found June 24, 2007.

My Sage Words last found Oct 21, 2007

Leave a Message last found Feb 23, 2008

Color My World last found Mar 14, 2008

Hey, is it my imagination, or are puzzles getting solved and visited by fewer people these days? I haven't tried to prove it statistically or anything, but I'm just getting the feeling that people are visiting puzzles less, maybe because there are so many other choices.

We only have one solved and none found in this list... Looks like we all need to get to work!!! :(

We only have one solved and none found in this list... Looks like we all need to get to work!!! :(

I wasn't trying to push my puzzles. I was just showing some data that agrees with rjbloom's observation. However, puzzles have always been something that only a small percentage of people enjoy doing. When most of those people have found these caches then they sit there and wait for new puzzle people or out-of-towners.

By the way, I am always happy to give some help on my puzzles.

We only have one solved and none found in this list... Looks like we all need to get to work!!! :laughing:

I wasn't trying to push my puzzles. I was just showing some data that agrees with rjbloom's observation. However, puzzles have always been something that only a small percentage of people enjoy doing. When most of those people have found these caches then they sit there and wait for new puzzle people or out-of-towners.

By the way, I am always happy to give some help on my puzzles.

:unsure: Color my World is an awesome short hike with spectacular views. Flagman has been let off easy lately as there haven't been many puzzles released to challenge his mind...(unless they are NC and outside my notification circle) I say we enlist TA's help and get Tom busy again!

No scientific data to back this up but I don't think this is your imagination...

I've noticed a sharp decrease in visits to puzzles and, in fact, visits to any cache that takes more than about 15 minutes worth of effort to get to (the exception to this rule is where there is sufficient cache density that the aggregate effort for all caches on the power trail is no more than 15 minutes.)

Corresponding to this lack of visits is a sharp decrease in the number of puzzles being placed. After all, why go to the effort of creating a puzzle if you can already predict 8 of the 9 cachers who will visit it during the cache's lifetime. I can definitely say that I have stopped (almost -- I placed "Geolibs" just the other day) placing puzzle caches. And my rate of finding puzzles has dropped sharply because there just aren't as many puzzles showing up within 15 miles of GeoCentral. If I want puzzles, I have to travel further afield to areas there are still a good number of puzzles that I haven't found.)

It's just a hypothesis, but my guess is that most people would rather spend an hour bagging 6 easy urban micros than to spend 40 minutes hiking to the top of a hill with a beautiful view for just one cache. So market forces being what they are, the trend has been in the direction of what the masses seem to want.

:laughing: Color my World is an awesome short hike with spectacular views. Flagman has been let off easy lately as there haven't been many puzzles released to challenge his mind...(unless they are NC and outside my notification circle) I say we enlist TA's help and get Tom busy again!

Actually, there have been some good puzzles released recently in North County. Some of the "12 Days of Caching" puzzle series were quite fun. Tom and I have both made recent journeys to collect them. Haven't seen James collecting them, yet!

It does seem like people are collecting puzzles less, but it's so hard to judge, because the numbers of people into puzzles, even simple ones, are so low. And it depends on which are of town it is released in. You would have to compare the number of finders in the first year, say, for a puzzle released in 2006 versus the number of finders in the first year in 2008, for a puzzle with the same difficulty level in the same area. I can't come up with a good example.

:unsure: Color my World is an awesome short hike with spectacular views. Flagman has been let off easy lately as there haven't been many puzzles released to challenge his mind...(unless they are NC and outside my notification circle) I say we enlist TA's help and get Tom busy again!

Actually, there have been some good puzzles released recently in North County. Some of the "12 Days of Caching" puzzle series were quite fun. Tom and I have both made recent journeys to collect them. Haven't seen James collecting them, yet!

It does seem like people are collecting puzzles less, but it's so hard to judge, because the numbers of people into puzzles, even simple ones, are so low. And it depends on which are of town it is released in. You would have to compare the number of finders in the first year, say, for a puzzle released in 2006 versus the number of finders in the first year in 2008, for a puzzle with the same difficulty level in the same area. I can't come up with a good example.

Don't get fooled. I have solved many puzzles but I'm too lazy to go find them all ... :laughing:
... Flagman has been let off easy lately as there haven't been many puzzles released to challenge his mind...(unless they are NC and outside my notification circle) I say we enlist TA's help and get Tom busy again!

Why I oughta!!!

A long time ago, Jeff (TT) gave me a San Diego exclusive on particularly nasty piece of work that showed up on the Tucson caching scene. With FlagMan managing to keep a 12 mile radius clear, I had been thinking about dusting off Jeff's strategy of dropping a puzzle bomb -- perhaps in the vicinity of southeast Scripps Ranch.

Problem is that I just don't have a sufficiently mean streak in me to actually do it... :laughing:

...but then again, I am showing signs of weakening morals...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
... Flagman has been let off easy lately as there haven't been many puzzles released to challenge his mind...(unless they are NC and outside my notification circle) I say we enlist TA's help and get Tom busy again!

Why I oughta!!!

A long time ago, Jeff (TT) gave me a San Diego exclusive on particularly nasty piece of work that showed up on the Tucson caching scene. With FlagMan managing to keep a 12 mile radius clear, I had been thinking about dusting off Jeff's strategy of dropping a puzzle bomb -- perhaps in the vicinity of southeast Scripps Ranch.

Problem is that I just don't have a sufficiently mean streak in me to actually do it... :laughing:

Bring it on!

:>

Mrs. BS and I have a couple of ideas for puzzles, but our monkeys have unfortunately kept us busy. This thread has spurred me to action; I hope to place one in a couple weeks.

Why I oughta!!!

Problem is that I just don't have a sufficiently mean streak in me to actually do it... :)

James, you could create a Dr. Evil sock puppet account to do it!

evil.gifBwa ha ha!

I'm clear all the way out to 2 miles! :lol: I'd have to find 577 caches to make it out to 12 miles. :D I have a backlog on my to-do list of ~70 solved puzzles, 100 Dalmations, 48 cards, 4 Scooby's and 7 more historic caches. Now there's a Delorme challenge?! :D:D

Wow, my Scooby caches are mentioned with challenges like the Dalmatians, 52 Pick-Up, and the Historic caches? COOL!

I haven't been much into clearing a radius, mainly due to where I lived. The area around UC San Diego had too many puzzles that I couldn't solve (although I did make an effort to try to find all the caches with icons on campus), and Escondido just has too many caches (which isn't a problem for my brother). Now that I am temporarily living in rural PA, I think I will be able to keep clear a fairly large radius :D (Especially once it becomes spring, and I can get out more often.)

With puzzles, it just depends on if I'm in the mood to even look at them. Some I have solved but have not gone for them, and others I just stare blankly at them. I do like solve-in-the-field puzzles, and 2 of my Scooby caches are puzzles. I might hide more if I can come up with something interesting, but I am more tempted to hide (and find) multis instead.

Also, with micros and non-micros, I prefer non-micros unless there is something special (crazy camo, cool location/hike, part of a theme). I really want to only hide non-micros, but with my Scooby caches, I had to make some compromises due to the location/to keep with the theme. I definitely will not hide a nano.

Maybe I should check the forum more often so I don't reply to 4 things at once?

Problem is that I just don't have a sufficiently mean streak in me to actually do it... :lol:

I heard the Magic words: Puzzle Bomb. :D

Tick....Tick...Tick...Tick...

Don't worry LLOT, I've got ya covered on the grumpy old man-dang-you-meddling-kids-get-off-of-my-lawn thing when it comes to puzzles.

dana-carvey-grumpy.jpg

Back in my day....if you wanted to drop a puzzle bomb, you thought of some original ideas. And then you went out and placed five of those ideas. And then you waited until your friends spent 15 hours and 20 miles in MTRP to clean out a 12 mile zone around their house. And you published those caches...one at a time...while you sat a bar in PB cackling like a madman enjoying your beer thinking all the time, "I'm glad it's not me getting my car towed by parking illegally at the red spot on the 52". And then when your friend got their car back after you dropped them off at the impound lot, you casually let it slip that another new puzzle went live five minutes ago. Repeat ad nausem.

That's the way it was and WE LIKED IT!

Back in my day.....we didn't have Phone-a-Friends. If you wanted to solve that puzzle you had to use your noggin'....and then when you solved it you misled your friends when they came pleading for coordinates. And then you mocked them by doin' a little FTF dance in front of them.

Back in my day....we didn't have all these fancy coordinate checkers! If you thought you had the numbers and you went out and looked where you thought it was. And if you couldn't find it, you swallowed your pride and a bottle of Pepto and posted that well-earned DNF. And then you went to your bedroom and cried yourself to sleep on your little pillow, "Oh Woe! I've got a blue frownie on my front page. Oh Boo-Hoo! Parsa and TT are too tough! Waaaaaaahhh!" The next morning you woke up and picked up a 2x4 to hit yourself in the head for motivation to try again.

Back in my day....we didn't place nanocaches.......

That's the way it was and we LIKED IT!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like all y'all have gone soft and squishy. Especially LLOT's and his morals apparently.

I'll be back April-ish for some more fun for you all. Till then, may my Puzzle Minions keep you on your toes!

--TT--

Edited by TucsonThompsen

Hello San Diego Cachers! I am doing a documentary school project for a class at the University of California San Diego. This project is on...Geocaching! I was just wondering if anyone in San Diego would be interested in being interviewed for this project. Preferably anyone in the La Jolla area, though I am flexible location wise. This is a great opportunity to get the word out there about geocaching, and to talk about anything geocache related. If anyone is interested, please send me an email at "geo+silencer556@gmail.com" and we can work out some sort of time to do it.

Also, if anyone would like to be interviewed in pairs, that will work just as well. Thanks everyone. :lol:

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to give a heads-up that the next WWFM (World-Wide Flash Mob) event (WWFM V) is scheduled for Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 10:00 am. Last time we inadvertently conflicted with another big event because we didn't get it posted soon enough - so we wanted to give plenty of notice this time! We hope to have the San Diego WWFM V posted as an event by early March.

At the WWFM IV last November, we had almost 7500 total participants at 154 events across 20 countries. WWFM V should be even bigger. There's also an official geocoin in the works (we'll post on the Geocoin thread when it is available).

Looking forward to a fun event!

Team PodCacher (formerly iTrax and FoxTail)

Sonny, Sandy and baby Sean

Anybody up for something a little different? I'm creating San Diego's first Geo Car Rally. A little driving, a little caching, a little puzzle solving. Maybe I could get TT to jump for joy (or maybe even cry a little) because there are no life lines in this one (if he happens to be in town). Oh, I will post a phone number if you get lost, but the Finish is a secret. So come one, come all - GC1MKVG - on Sat April 4 at 10AM sharp. Meet at the Park N Ride off Scripps Poway Parkway in front of Chili's.

It's just a short little drive in the country from the cacher who brought you the Cruella de Vil cache, you know, that little walk in the woods...

Oh, this is also a Farewell party for Beta Eagle 1 who has to move to Wash DC at the end of April.

And Hof05 should be back from Iraq, so give him a big warm geo-welcome home.

Hope to see y'all there for the fun and festivities. A BBQ Picnic (hotdogs and drinks, non alcoholic) will be waiting for you at the finish, if you find it (don't forget I'll have that cell phone on in case you get lost). You may bring extra food in the form of a picnic pot luck if you are so inclined. And trophies for the whiners, sorry, winners. PQGT and DTN :laughing::laughing:

Anybody up for something a little different? I'm creating San Diego's first Geo Car Rally. A little driving, a little caching, a little puzzle solving. Maybe I could get TT to jump for joy (or maybe even cry a little) because there are no life lines in this one (if he happens to be in town). Oh, I will post a phone number if you get lost, but the Finish is a secret. So come one, come all - GC1MKVG - on Sat April 4 at 10AM sharp. Meet at the Park N Ride off Scripps Poway Parkway in front of Chili's.

It's just a short little drive in the country from the cacher who brought you the Cruella de Vil cache, you know, that little walk in the woods...

Oh, this is also a Farewell party for Beta Eagle 1 who has to move to Wash DC at the end of April.

Hope to see y'all there for the fun and festivities. A BBQ Picnic (hotdogs and drinks, non alcoholic) will be waiting for you at the finish, if you find it (don't forget I'll have that cell phone on in case you get lost). You may bring extra food in the form of a picnic pot luck if you are so inclined. And trophies for the whiners, sorry, winners. PQGT and DTN :laughing::laughing:

Edited by Team lite_rod

Hey just a heads up...there will be an easy 4 x 4 event at the Dale Mining District east of 29 Palms. Event is called Trash in Cache Out II. GC1HKXD. Camping Friday, March 14th and Saturday March 15th if you like. Event is actually March 15th at 8 a.m. then a fun day of caching. Returning to the camping area for more food and fun. Hope to see you there.

I guess Penasquitos Canyon Mudslide will be closed for a while. Does anyone know of a website or phone number where we can check in a few days to see if it has been reopened? I can't find one, but there must be one, especially for the horsie people who wouldn't want to load up ol' Dobbin in the trailer and drive over there only to find it closed.

I guess Penasquitos Canyon Mudslide will be closed for a while. Does anyone know of a website or phone number where we can check in a few days to see if it has been reopened? I can't find one, but there must be one, especially for the horsie people who wouldn't want to load up ol' Dobbin in the trailer and drive over there only to find it closed.

Gina Washington is the Senior Ranger for Penasquitos Preserve. You should be able to reach her at 858.538.8066

As an aside, if you want to report any suspected illegal activities (e.g. transient encampments) or needed maintenance, please use the same number.

Gina Washington is the Senior Ranger for Penasquitos Preserve. You should be able to reach her at 858.538.8066

As an aside, if you want to report any suspected illegal activities (e.g. transient encampments) or needed maintenance, please use the same number.

And for Tecolote Canyon, Marion Bear and Rose Canyon Parks, you can call (858) 581-9961

For Black Mountain Preserve, you can call (858) 538-8082

For Mission Trails, you can call 619) 668-3275

Hey just a heads up...there will be an easy 4 x 4 event at the Dale Mining District east of 29 Palms. Event is called Trash in Cache Out II. GC1HKXD. Camping Friday, March 14th and Saturday March 15th if you like. Event is actually March 15th at 8 a.m. then a fun day of caching. Returning to the camping area for more food and fun. Hope to see you there.

I think you mean March 13th & 14th. The 15th is a Sunday