The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

A friend of my son was doing some auto repair on someones car in Alpine yesterday, although I don't know the specific area. He had brought along his dog, a pit bull. He left the dog at the house while going to get some parts and when he returned, found out that his dog had been attacked by a mountain lion and was very seriously wounded. A broken back, one of his rear legs dangling and the dogs face tore up very badly. He had to euthanize the dog. For those of you doing any caching in the Alpine area, please keep your dogs leashed and be very aware of your surroundings. If I find out the specific area then I will post more. You won't see this story in the newspaper or on your TV news. I know that pit bulls certainly have a bad reputation but I met this particular dog and it was a loving dog that my grandchild were even allowed to be around.

OMG <_< ~ That is so sad and scary!

We're curious to find out where exactly it was, hopefully it was out in the backcountry section of Alpine somewhere. Wabbits must be getting scare 'out' there and most cachers let their dogs run on the trails.

Keep an eye out!

The Splashes

With Mountain Lions about it would be smart to have one

or maybe a dozen dogs with you on the trail, or at least

two or three pals willing to surround you in case of attack.

Janie and Jodi are prime examples. Who knows, maybe I

owe my life to those gals and didn't realize it at the time.

Kind of weird that the Mountain Lion left it's kill behind in

the Alpine attack. Maybe Pit Bulls don't taste like chicken.

The Sandy Creek Ranch dawgs did a good job sensing

that Mountain Lions or Bobcats were near, and when

they teamed up to give chase the cats took flight.

What one can suppose from such attacks is that wild

game isn't exactly exploding in our back country so the

Mountain Lions have to grocery-shop in settled areas.

Comes down to annual rainfall, more rain means more

grass and more critters and so predators can dine in

their usual way. Well, you know, maybe so.

How many times can you kill a guy? :)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...64-bc32ed4ea033

TA

Who killed Team Adelos' 00020344.gif

As the saying goes:

"You can't keep a good man down, even if you keep killing him"...or something like that. :)

Anyway, I enjoyed all the FTFs this morning. The page also mentioned a possible "Resurrection of Team Adelos" cache. I'm looking forward to that one too. It should be interesting. :)

TA

As the saying goes:

"You can't keep a good man down, even if you keep killing him"...or something like that. :)

Anyway, I enjoyed all the FTFs this morning. The page also mentioned a possible "Resurrection of Team Adelos" cache. I'm looking forward to that one too. It should be interesting. :)

By the time I saw he revived it, you already found it! That was quick.. :P

TA

As the saying goes:

"You can't keep a good man down, even if you keep killing him"...or something like that. ;)

Anyway, I enjoyed all the FTFs this morning. The page also mentioned a possible "Resurrection of Team Adelos" cache. I'm looking forward to that one too. It should be interesting. <_<

The resurrection will be published Christmas day buahahahahaha, Although it will not be in Ramona. It will be closer to the coast. You never know what will happen if he comes back! buahahahaha :)

A friend of my son was doing some auto repair on someones car in Alpine yesterday, although I don't know the specific area. He had brought along his dog, a pit bull. He left the dog at the house while going to get some parts and when he returned, found out that his dog had been attacked by a mountain lion and was very seriously wounded. A broken back, one of his rear legs dangling and the dogs face tore up very badly. He had to euthanize the dog. For those of you doing any caching in the Alpine area, please keep your dogs leashed and be very aware of your surroundings. If I find out the specific area then I will post more. You won't see this story in the newspaper or on your TV news. I know that pit bulls certainly have a bad reputation but I met this particular dog and it was a loving dog that my grandchild were even allowed to be around.

OMG ;) ~ That is so sad and scary!

We're curious to find out where exactly it was, hopefully it was out in the backcountry section of Alpine somewhere. Wabbits must be getting scare 'out' there and most cachers let their dogs run on the trails.

Keep an eye out!

The Splashes

With Mountain Lions about it would be smart to have one

or maybe a dozen dogs with you on the trail, or at least

two or three pals willing to surround you in case of attack.

Janie and Jodi are prime examples. Who knows, maybe I

owe my life to those gals and didn't realize it at the time.

Kind of weird that the Mountain Lion left it's kill behind in

the Alpine attack. Maybe Pit Bulls don't taste like chicken.

The Sandy Creek Ranch dawgs did a good job sensing

that Mountain Lions or Bobcats were near, and when

they teamed up to give chase the cats took flight.

What one can suppose from such attacks is that wild

game isn't exactly exploding in our back country so the

Mountain Lions have to grocery-shop in settled areas.

Comes down to annual rainfall, more rain means more

grass and more critters and so predators can dine in

their usual way. Well, you know, maybe so.

:) Harmon, when choosing a hiking partner make sure that you're a faster runner than they. That is if you are attacked you can get away. <_<:)

TA

As the saying goes:

"You can't keep a good man down, even if you keep killing him"...or something like that. ;)

Anyway, I enjoyed all the FTFs this morning. The page also mentioned a possible "Resurrection of Team Adelos" cache. I'm looking forward to that one too. It should be interesting. <_<

The resurrection will be published Christmas day buahahahahaha, Although it will not be in Ramona. It will be closer to the coast. You never know what will happen if he comes back! buahahahaha :)

OMG :shocked: ~ That is so sad and scary!

Keep an eye out!

The Splashes

I talked to the owner of the dog and he told me it was up off Victoria up the hill north a few miles but that there are houses in the area. The dog was an 85 lb. Pit bull that was attacked when the Cougar jumped out of a tree within 100 feet of a house while his dog played with other dogs. He happened to be the unlucky one. From what he told me, the people in the area are aware of this cougar in the area and it had attacked another dog previously. I hated to hear that his dog was killed but I would be just as sad if they had to kill the mountain lion. It would be nice if it could be trapped and moved to a more remote area.

OK, I'm a newbie and trying to get the hang of this posting thing. Hopefully I haven't screwed it up totally already. Lostguy, I'm the guy who stopped to say hello at Scissor Crossing when Ranger Rick and his brother were there watching. A couple of my first finds were GCQ3DF and GCRM4J, not too far from my home. I saw mountain lion tracks on both ventures. These are in San Diego Country Estates near Ramona.

Since the Witch fire we have had several sightings in the neighborhood. I'm guessing it lost it's territory in the fire and moved into our neighborhood. We have had no reports of lost livestock so I think it is still enjoying rabbits and maybe wild turkeys, since we have plenty of those.

Before the Cedar fire we had regular sigthings of them, including one on our roof reported by a neighbor. It was watching another neighbor's kids in his back yard and we alerted them and they took the kids inside and the cat left. Had I known what those kids would grow up to be, it would have been different. Bon Appetite.... But everything around us burned in the Cedar and we hadn't had anything until after the Witch.

After the first rain after the witch fire a noise on the roof woke us up very early one morning. I thought it might be rats in the attic, but we found out what it was that day. It was the first rain since the Witch fire and it had washed a lot of soot off the roof onto the driveway under the carport. I'm going to try to post the pictures of what I found. Regardless of the outcome of my attempt at posting pics, everyone should understand we live in mountain lion country. I try to be as prepared as one can be when caching in the hills and mountains, and anyone who caches in this area should also. Enough said. Now I try to post a photo or so...

Keep an eye out!

The Splashes

I talked to the owner of the dog and he told me it was up off Victoria up the hill north a few miles but that there are houses in the area. The dog was an 85 lb. Pit bull that was attacked when the Cougar jumped out of a tree within 100 feet of a house while his dog played with other dogs. He happened to be the unlucky one. From what he told me, the people in the area are aware of this cougar in the area and it had attacked another dog previously. I hated to hear that his dog was killed but I would be just as sad if they had to kill the mountain lion. It would be nice if it could be trapped and moved to a more remote area.

OK, I'm a newbie and trying to get the hang of this posting thing. Hopefully I haven't screwed it up totally already. Lostguy, I'm the guy who stopped to say hello at Scissor Crossing when Ranger Rick and his brother were there watching. A couple of my first finds were GCQ3DF and GCRM4J, not too far from my home. I saw mountain lion tracks on both ventures. These are in San Diego Country Estates near Ramona.

Since the Witch fire we have had several sightings in the neighborhood. I'm guessing it lost it's territory in the fire and moved into our neighborhood. We have had no reports of lost livestock so I think it is still enjoying rabbits and maybe wild turkeys, since we have plenty of those.

Before the Cedar fire we had regular sigthings of them, including one on our roof reported by a neighbor. It was watching another neighbor's kids in his back yard and we alerted them and they took the kids inside and the cat left. Had I known what those kids would grow up to be, it would have been different. Bon Appetite.... But everything around us burned in the Cedar and we hadn't had anything until after the Witch.

After the first rain after the witch fire a noise on the roof woke us up very early one morning. I thought it might be rats in the attic, but we found out what it was that day. It was the first rain since the Witch fire and it had washed a lot of soot off the roof onto the driveway under the carport. I'm going to try to post the pictures of what I found. Regardless of the outcome of my attempt at posting pics, everyone should understand we live in mountain lion country. I try to be as prepared as one can be when caching in the hills and mountains, and anyone who caches in this area should also. Enough said. Now I try to post a photo or so...

We try again...

s1396655683_30169192_6749.jpg

s1396655683_30169194_801.jpg

s1396655683_30169195_8881.jpg

Keep an eye out!

The Splashes

We try again...

OK. I got teeny tiny pics. But I think they work. That's one big cat!

We try again...

OK. I got teeny tiny pics. But I think they work. That's one big cat!

Very nice job handling your Forum posts, not to worry 'cause you are amongst

friends on the San Diego threads.

Interested to know the reason for your small images; as in, what camera do

you use or, are those from your cell phone? Just finished doing some image

enhancement for a friend and received tiny images in the beginning. Made a

few suggestions that resulted in receipt of full resolution shots that I could

work with effectively.

There's a male Mountain Lion making treks between the area just north of

Mission Trails Regional Park, north of the 52, and the open space all the way

up toward Poway. Several sightings in recent months. Of course that corridor

of open space offers deer herds for the cat, a chance to feed the brood I

suppose. All in all we see the results of wildlife having to fight for survival

against all odds of range reduction. Pretty much a hopeless cause for wildlife.

From your home coordinates you must be located near or on Barona Reser-

vation. If I understand right then that's where you photographed the tracks.

Edited by SD Rowdies

[Very nice job handling your Forum posts, not to worry 'cause you are amongst

work with effectively.

I know why the pics were so small... I used the URL for the thumbnails from where I had them posted. I now remember I have to click and enlarge them before I post them here. Let me know if anyone wants the full sized pics posted.

I'm fairly close to Barona. YG's cache, IHO: SD Rowdies' Sandy Creek Cowboy Harmon, GCRM4J, is where I saw the freshest and biggest ones, just a couple of days after a rain. There are also plenty of deer and small game tracks so our resident lion has plenty of food without poaching pets or kids, so far. I read they usually have a territory of about 100 sq miles, and that's a pretty big area. No idea whether it's a male or female and don't plan to get close enough to check.

Let's be careful out there...

[Very nice job handling your Forum posts, not to worry 'cause you are amongst

work with effectively.

I know why the pics were so small... I used the URL for the thumbnails from where I had them posted. I now remember I have to click and enlarge them before I post them here. Let me know if anyone wants the full sized pics posted.

I'm fairly close to Barona. YG's cache, IHO: SD Rowdies' Sandy Creek Cowboy Harmon, GCRM4J, is where I saw the freshest and biggest ones, just a couple of days after a rain. There are also plenty of deer and small game tracks so our resident lion has plenty of food without poaching pets or kids, so far. I read they usually have a territory of about 100 sq miles, and that's a pretty big area. No idea whether it's a male or female and don't plan to get close enough to check.

Let's be careful out there...

Wow! ... near IHO SD Rowdies cache, I'm so proud.

Hey everybody, I'm being tracked! :shocked:

Edited by SD Rowdies
0002032F.gif 0002033F.gif 0002013C.gif

Have a good one every one !!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful christmas.

mech2aoo9.gif:)

Merry Christmas everybody, I see Flagman has brought together the mystic elements and brought Adelos back. NOOOOOOOOO! :unsure: I am sure there will be more aweful puzzles out again! :laughing: Well not that I care, I can't solve them anyway, as a matter of fact if it was not for RJBloom and his helping hand I woud not have solved his Red and Blue series! Well hope you all have fun with the series, I have another on in mind, Maybe YOU :anibad: will be off'd next! buahahahahahaha

Okay, I have to brag about the fantastic Christmas present I got this year, a grandson Josiah Scott Gibson. He was a big, little boy 9 lbs. 3 oz. born on Christmas Day, I am currently in Sacramento visit the baby, mom(Sunny14) and dad(Tahoe Ratboy) are both doing fine. See you all soon. :blink::)

0002028C.gif 00020184.gif Congrats

Okay, I have to brag about the fantastic Christmas present I got this year, a grandson Josiah Scott Gibson. He was a big, little boy 9 lbs. 3 oz. born on Christmas Day, I am currently in Sacramento visit the baby, mom(Sunny14) and dad(Tahoe Ratboy) are both doing fine. See you all soon. :laughing::santa:

Congratulations!!!! Babies are the best presents! :D

Okay, I have to brag about the fantastic Christmas present I got this year, a grandson Josiah Scott Gibson. He was a big, little boy 9 lbs. 3 oz. born on Christmas Day, I am currently in Sacramento visit the baby, mom(Sunny14) and dad(Tahoe Ratboy) are both doing fine. See you all soon. :D:laughing:

:santa: How sweet...enjoy that big baby boy and spoil him just like Grammies are suppose to . :)

Edited by jahoadi and john

Okay, I have to brag about the fantastic Christmas present I got this year, a grandson Josiah Scott Gibson. He was a big, little boy 9 lbs. 3 oz. born on Christmas Day, I am currently in Sacramento visit the baby, mom(Sunny14) and dad(Tahoe Ratboy) are both doing fine. See you all soon. :D:laughing:

1537931kqky7a0imx.gif

I'm so happy for you! Looks like we have a new geocacher, too. Woo hoo!

Barrie

boysnbarrie

Edited by boysnbarrie

1537931kqky7a0imx.gif

I'm so happy for you! Looks like we have a new geocacher, too. Woo hoo!

Barrie

boysnbarrie

Congrats! :santa:

Does anyone know if there's a gate for the MTRP parking area at the end of Mast Blvd. (where First the Picnic, Then the Oak GC1C5P7 is)? If so, do you know what time they open/close it?

Thanks!

Yes, there's a gate. They open it sometimes at 7:30 or other times. I'm not sure the exact times since it seems to vary. If it's locked you can park outside it along the curb. It's usually closed around sunset. :rolleyes:

:D-->

QUOTE(Chuck B @ Dec 30 2008, 09:50 PM) 3770159[/snapback]

Does anyone know if there's a gate for the MTRP parking area at the end of Mast Blvd. (where First the Picnic, Then the Oak GC1C5P7 is)? If so, do you know what time they open/close it?

Thanks!

Yes, there's a gate. They open it sometimes at 7:30 or other times. I'm not sure the exact times since it seems to vary. If it's locked you can park outside it along the curb. It's usually closed around sunset. :D

There are actually two gates. One, you can see from the street light and has a Closed-at-7p sign. But, I have never seen that gate closed. The inner gate has winter and summer hours - 8-5 winter and 8-7 summer. I too have seen the gate open as early as 0730. As Chuck points out, you can park curbside outside the gate.

Edited by Chuy!

Howdy y'all I am in town for a couple of weeks with my blimp Snoopy 2 masted at Brown Field. The closest cache is the Tower of Terror which I have already hit. I would love to meet some cachers maybe even Georgers who go caching!

My off days are Thursdays and Fridays we could cache and swing by the blimp so I can show it off to you.

I have a Colorado GPS Teva sandals and an urge to get out of my hotel.

You could contact me through the geocaching page or

capn_cafeen@yahoo.com

Howdy y'all I am in town for a couple of weeks with my blimp Snoopy 2 masted at Brown Field. The closest cache is the Tower of Terror which I have already hit. I would love to meet some cachers maybe even Georgers who go caching!

My off days are Thursdays and Fridays we could cache and swing by the blimp so I can show it off to you.

capn_cafeen@yahoo.com

Any chance we could go caching with the blimp? Sure would help with some of those El Cajon Mtn caches.

:wub:

Chuy! and I usually do some Thurs nite caching, usually 9p until 1a if you're interested. Happy New Year!

D!

capn_cafeen@yahoo.com

Any chance we could go caching with the blimp? Sure would help with some of those El Cajon Mtn caches.

;)

Chuy! and I usually do some Thurs nite caching, usually 9p until 1a if you're interested. Happy New Year!

D!

I think getting out and back in will make things... difficult

Gosh I wish I read this before heading out.

Hi,

My name is Marc and I promise I looked and looked before asking, and I saw some stuff here and there, but nothing definitive came up.

I saw that County Parks are mulling over caches. Anza Borrego seems to have banned caches. What's the current situation in Cuyamaca State Park?

Thanks,

Hi,

My name is Marc and I promise I looked and looked before asking, and I saw some stuff here and there, but nothing definitive came up.

I saw that County Parks are mulling over caches. Anza Borrego seems to have banned caches. What's the current situation in Cuyamaca State Park?

Thanks,

:) Cuyamaca Rancho State Park welcomes cachers. There are a few there now. If you want to hide one there contact the rangers at the headquarters. That's the stone building near the entrance to Paso Picacho campground. There are some rules for hiding caches and these might be changed and made easier. I have talked to the superintendent and she is all for geocaching and has even done some herself. :)

:laughing:-->

QUOTE(Chuck B @ Jan 6 2009, 12:25 PM) 3778822[/snapback]

Hi,

Thanks,

:) Cuyamaca Rancho State Park welcomes cachers. There are a few there now. If you want to hide one there contact the rangers at the headquarters. That's the stone building near the entrance to Paso Picacho campground. There are some rules for hiding caches and these might be changed and made easier. I have talked to the superintendent and she is all for geocaching and has even done some herself. :)

Thanks so much. I have some favorite trails up there that would be great for a cache or two.

Hello San Diego!!!

Long time no see....I hope all is well with you and yours!

I have a question??????

I like to log the caches that my dog visits...she is not a member however comma I have always been able to use a loophole to log her finds.

Until today....does anyone know of a working loophole?

Jeremy said years ago..."that he knew of the hole but was not going to fix it" he felt that it did no harm...a non subscriber could view a subscriber cache but could log them.

I do not want to debate the issue....just want to know if It can still be done.

You stay classy San Diego!

Chuy! is most knowledgeable cacher for this topic.

signed wannabe !

Hello San Diego!!!

I have a question??????

I like to log the caches that my dog visits...she is not a member however comma I have always been able to use a loophole to log her finds.

Jeremy said years ago..."that he knew of the hole but was not going to fix it" he felt that it did no harm...a non subscriber could view a subscriber cache but could log them.

Hello San Diego!!!

I have a question??????

There was another thread or two discussing this. I can't find them but the loophole was unintentionally closed. I believe they are planning on reopening it when they get time. The best place to check the status is here.

capn_cafeen@yahoo.com

Was that you over Rancho Bernardo yesterday afternoon?

I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a cache in SD that would be considered the 'County Toughest'. Being in the Army has given me some abilities that, coupled with a few other things, could make for one doozy of a cache. Tomb Raider comes to mind, I've heard cachers talk about that one like it's a ghost. And TBP's Tecolote Canyon Caches deserve mention. And there's Sazr Foyo in Chula Vista, that one was incredibly hard to get to.

I'm working on a pretty massive puzzle right now, just getting the outline done currently. If I can make it through Ranger School this summer and have the puzzle finished, I'll make y'all one worth going out for. Oh, and it'll be a team effort.

My son heard through the grape vine that the Desert Rose in Ocotillo burned down. Any truth in that?

Here's what you need to know about Desert Rose in Ocotillo Wells.

d3831331-0e4b-4878-afa3-991fa9a6d784.jpg

858bc8b3-33b1-44c9-80bb-540b9a2bed2d.jpg

Sad but true.

Photos courtesy of Splashette, reporter at large.

Wow, I didn't realize that we took such great pictures ~ :D Thanks Harmon!

The Splashes :D:D

My son heard through the grape vine that the Desert Rose in Ocotillo burned down. Any truth in that?

Here's what you need to know about Desert Rose in Ocotillo Wells.

79091055-81ef-48a7-aded-6acfabe5c188.jpg

858bc8b3-33b1-44c9-80bb-540b9a2bed2d.jpg

Sad but true.

Photos courtesy of Splashette, reporter at large.

Wow, I didn't realize that we took such great pictures ~ :D Thanks Harmon!

The Splashes :D:D

Everything is possible with Photoshop CS4; you know, anything for you Janie.

As field reporters you and Christian Amanpour deserve the best media support

possible.

Don't forget to remind me when you want to appear in posted images riding

your power mower or in some other interesting pose.

Edited by SD Rowdies