The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Got this from desertriver. What should I tell Her to do ???

Hi Mark ! Went and got some FTFs this morning then off to the Lagunas where we were not the FTF, however, here is my rant : as we were going in on the trail, two bicyclists almost ran us over - we got right off the trail for them to go by - no thank you, no wave, etc. (which is funny cause at the time I thought to myself that they are acting like they don't want to be seen) and it is clearly CLEARLY marked that no bicycles or horses on trails and the trail entrance is set up in such a way it would be hard to get your bike on the trail and impossible to get a horse on. Anyway, they were two cachers (I know who) as they logged all the logs right before me. And the proof is there that they were cachers cause we followed the bike tracks all the way to the caches which were off the beaten path - no bike rider would just ride off the path where "coincidentally" there were caches. One of the bike riders had a GPS installed on his handlebars, too. Isn't this what causes caching to be kicked out of certain areas, like Borrego Springs, because people don't pay attention to the law.... and if the Rangers at the Laguna park saw that there were cachers bike riding illegally, wouldn't they kick all the caches out of that park? So here's my dilemna, without naming names, and saying such in my logs...... that this is what damage a few can do to a lot ? And I know what their plan is, to get as many as possible, as fast as possible to get to Rolly first. Tomorrow we are going to Lake Morena, which is 9 miles - HIKING ONLY - and I bet their tire tracks will be there. Riding bikes cuts their time two-thirds by getting the caches faster. This isn't sour grapes, it's just - you know - crooked.[/color]So, here's my question: should I make mention of this in my log - or not ? I ask because I want to say something but don't know if it is appropriate. What do you think? Pat.

It wasn't us!! Lulu and I were FTF on the ones on the Sunset Trail near Phil's Memorial (Prince, Nipper, Sparky, Ears, Bongo, Eight Ball, Buttons and Typhoon), but we hiked the whole trail...

A. Send private email to FlagMan naming names.

B. Perps' should post simply "got carried away" apology, forgiveness all around.

C. If not B above then associated log entries should be deleted from cache pages.

Be square, play fair.

If I may add my 2 cents... I don't think they should be allowed to be included in the FTF list. I am certain they know they were not supposed to be on bikes in the area.

In yacht racing, when a foul is committed you are generally required to do a 720 penalty turn... (two circles)... Maybe we should make them do the loop twice without bikes... :)

Seriously, though, I've been out on these trails three times and there are bikes allowed on the trail that goes more directly to Phil's Memorial. I don't know if I would have even noticed the sign prohibiting bikes on the other trail. I think a mere mea culpa would be sufficient here...

My four cache descriptions clearly indicate no bikes are allowed on that trail. I've been on that trail before the caches and seen bike tracks on it.

That being said, they violated a park rule and got away with it. Who are we to police them? If I speed to a cache, should that find be negated? How about parking on a bike lane or red curb to grab a cache?

I would not hesitate naming names - If you can't do the time (sort of speak), don't do the crime. I once called out BBB for biking at Horsethief Canyon. He said it was his first time down there and he sped past the signs.

Yesterday, Ginger! and Mocha! ignored signs against dogs at the beach at the Fidget Dalmatian cache. Should we take away that find? They say no.

Edited by Chuy!
My four cache descriptions clearly indicate no bikes are allowed on that trail. I've been on that trail before the caches and seen bike tracks on it.

That being said, they violated a park rule and got away with it. Who are we to police them? If I speed to a cache, should that find be negated? How about parking on a bike lane or red curb to grab a cache?

The cache owner could negate the find if he or she had reason to believe that the cache was found under dubious circumstances (such as using a bike in a no-bike zone or a night time find on trails are marked as sun rise to sun down...) But that is a decision for the cache owner to make (or not make).

One could call them out publically, but apart from Chuy, there seems to be little desire to do that...

Beyond that, there's not a whole lot more that one could do.

I would not hesitate naming names

Regardless of whether names are named or not, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who the cache obsessed duo is... (I bet I know already but it'll be obvious when they finally get around to logging all their finds. And they gotta log their finds if they want to log Rolly...)

The cache owner could negate the find if he or she had reason to believe that the cache was found under dubious circumstances (such as using a bike in a no-bike zone or a night time find on trails are marked as sun rise to sun down...) But that is a decision for the cache owner to make (or not make).

One could call them out publically, but apart from Chuy, there seems to be little desire to do that...

Beyond that, there's not a whole lot more that one could do.

I would not hesitate naming names

Regardless of whether names are named or not, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who the cache obsessed duo is... (I bet I know already but it'll be obvious when they finally get around to logging all their finds. And they gotta log their finds if they want to log Rolly...)

The dynamic duo is Condorman and Duck432. They appear to be logging caches physically, but saving the online logging for a later date. A strategic tactic for the FTF race.

Edited by Chuy!
They appear to be logging caches physically, but saving the online logging for a later date. A strategic tactic for the FTF race.[/quote]

Isn't it kind of rude not to log your FTF??? I mean other people will think they are going for the FTF when they aren't. I just don't see the tactic in it. 000201E8.gif

They appear to be logging caches physically, but saving the online logging for a later date. A strategic tactic for the FTF race.[/quote]

Isn't it kind of rude not to log your FTF??? I mean other people will think they are going for the FTF when they aren't. I just don't see the tactic in it. 000201E8.gif

Concur with that. It's a courtesy to log an FTF as soon as possible to let others know. The tactic is that they find all 100, come online and log 100 "TNLNSL" in 5 minutes, then immediately go and find Rolly. Others "competing" for FTF on Rolly have no idea how close others are to completing the quest, and might have a false sense of security that they are leading the find count for puppies when they aren't. No rules preventing that, but probably not the way I'd play it. It will likely leave a sour taste with some cachers once it's played out.

-Tony

They appear to be logging caches physically, but saving the online logging for a later date. A strategic tactic for the FTF race.

Concur with that. It's a courtesy to log an FTF as soon as possible to let others know. The tactic is that they find all 100, come online and log 100 "TNLNSL" in 5 minutes, then immediately go and find Rolly. Others "competing" for FTF on Rolly have no idea how close others are to completing the quest, and might have a false sense of security that they are leading the find count for puppies when they aren't. No rules preventing that, but probably not the way I'd play it. It will likely leave a sour taste with some cachers once it's played out.

-Tony

I don't cache that way either, but that's the way they decided to go about it. John and Jess did the same thing during the Inferno Series. I'm the one that got burned in that one and decided I would never do that to other cachers.

Edited by Chuy!
They appear to be logging caches physically, but saving the online logging for a later date. A strategic tactic for the FTF race.

-Tony

I don't cache that way either, but that's the way they decided to go about it. John and Jess did the same thing during the Inferno Series. I'm the one that got burned in that one and decided I would never do that to other cachers.

Just curious...is anyone else even a contender for FTF?

From what I can see, it sort of looks to me as if everyone else is taking a much more low key approach. (I'm in the "I hoping I can finish this by the end of January category" so you won't be seeing me on the leaderboard. :D )

Looking at the logs of the handful of Dalmations that I've found, perhaps only Duncan! and/or Chuy! would even be close... (but then maybe the handful that I've found is not representative of the true situation...)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

-Tony

My only comment is that cache owners can set rules on the series that you must log all caches within 24 hours to qualify for the final FTF. This seems like it would solve this issue. Of course, some people could then post-date cache logs to try get around that rule, but the cache owner could counter that by making a second rule to disqualify people that get caught doing that. Anyhow, it seems like without any defined rules, it's all fair game. The key word there is "game."

Hi, Pregnant lady here...

First of all it's John &Jess not AND Jess if you are using our Geocaching names...

To defend ourselves since we somehow seem to have gotten drug into the mud on this one which we haven't even attempted... :)

About the Inferno Series:

1) We were NOT FTF on ANY of those caches in the series, only the final...

2) We gave everyone a 10 day headstart...

3) We are notorious for not logging finds in a timely manner unless it's an FTF and I ALWAYS try to log an FTF from the field (since I got my Blackberry the pattern for us has been "FTF, more later" instantaneously if I am involved in the find). John doesn't have that option from his normal cell phone.

4) We were tactical on this series as there was a leaderboard that tracked everyone's finds so you could see where you stood...so we got the final FTF in a "wiley" manner, yes... but see point 1 and 2 above...wahhhhhh!!! :grin:

~Jess&babyboy

Back in my college days our fraternity hosted the annual Phi Psi 500, consisting of a 1.1 mile foot race through campus where runners were required to drink 5 beers along the way. After several years, the event became a Mega Event. There were always 20-30 guys all geared up at the start to "win" the race, and those guys ran like hell and usually tossed the beer over their shoulders so they could "compete" by doing anything they thought they could get away with to actually "win" the race (i.e., cross the finish line first). Then there were 25,000 people dressed in various hilarious costumes who "ran" the race by leisurely strolling the 1.1 miles and attempting to drink as many beers as possible at the five waypoints...

Congrats to the "winners!!" Now let's see them costumes!!!

First of all it's John &Jess not AND Jess if you are using our Geocaching names...

To defend ourselves since we somehow seem to have gotten drug into the mud on this one which we haven't even attempted... :)

3) We are notorious for not logging finds in a timely manner unless it's an FTF and I ALWAYS try to log an FTF from the field (since I got my Blackberry the pattern for us has been "FTF, more later" instantaneously if I am involved in the find). John doesn't have that option from his normal cell phone.

4) We were tactical on this series as there was a leaderboard that tracked everyone's finds so you could see where you stood...so we got the final FTF in a "wiley" manner, yes... but see point 1 and 2 above...wahhhhhh!!! :grin:

~Jess&babyboy

:) Wow! Jess is pregnant and John is gonna be a Daddy to a little boy! Congratulations! How exciting! That's way more interesting than the tactics of winning a geo-challenge! Thanks for sharing the news!

OBTW..I think gc.com will let you change your name to John&Jess&babyboy :grin:

Back in my college days our fraternity hosted the annual Phi Psi 500, consisting of a 1.1 mile foot race through campus where runners were required to drink 5 beers along the way. After several years, the event became a Mega Event. There were always 20-30 guys all geared up at the start to "win" the race, and those guys ran like hell and usually tossed the beer over their shoulders so they could "compete" by doing anything they thought they could get away with to actually "win" the race (i.e., cross the finish line first). Then there were 25,000 people dressed in various hilarious costumes who "ran" the race by leisurely strolling the 1.1 miles and attempting to drink as many beers as possible at the five waypoints...

We had a golf tournament like that where you had to drink a beer a hole. The back nine was really rough...Arr Arr! :)

~Jess&babyboy

:) Wow! Jess is pregnant and John is gonna be a Daddy to a little boy! Congratulations! How exciting! That's way more interesting than the tactics of winning a geo-challenge! Thanks for sharing the news!

OBTW..I think gc.com will let you change your name to John&Jess&babyboy :)

Not so fast! I think Becca might have a problem with that. :grin:

We had a golf tournament like that where you had to drink a beer a hole. The back nine was really rough...Arr Arr! :blink:

So does this mean that we have to drink a beer per Dalmatian cache? Humm ... :(

We had a golf tournament like that where you had to drink a beer a hole. The back nine was really rough...Arr Arr! :blink:
So does this mean that we have to drink a beer per Dalmatian cache? Humm ... ;)

Never fear! The "North County Search Team" (Devhead, TheDillonGang and LLOT) have this one covered! :(

(But we are looking for other cachers to join us...and there is an excellent opportunity coming up to join in this cause... Friday Night Snooganization)

HEY ALL YOU SAN DIEGO PEOPLE. WOULD YOU PLEASE TURN DAVE AND LISA LOOSE SO THEY CAN COME BACK TO COLORADO! THEY ARE MISSING OUT ON SOME 4 WHEEL DRIVING FOR TOMORROW. YEAH WITH SOME CACHES, TOO!

sheesh :blink:

Sorry, we'll have t' get back to y' on this one,

mostly 'cause we've gone to th' dawgs out

here. You know, 101 Dalmatian dawgs.

23242e86-b3b2-4021-ba30-bf5cb4a71b5d.jpg

The superintendent for the OHVRA on the right

Her assistant on the left.(LUCCA DE FEET, GC NAME)

Bone Ranger (GC Name) Andy in the middle.

They all gave good speeches on their support for Geocaching.

And they were warmly welcomed by all those at the Camp-out

It's so nice to have them on our side.

They have a CACHE at the Ranger station so if you do it stop and say hi to them and in your on line log thank them.

To defend ourselves since we somehow seem to have gotten drug into the mud on this one which we haven't even attempted... :laughing:

4) We were tactical on this series as there was a leaderboard that tracked everyone's finds so you could see where you stood...so we got the final FTF in a "wiley" manner, yes... but see point 1 and 2 above...wahhhhhh!!! ;)

~Jess&babyboy

:D Wow! Jess is pregnant and John is gonna be a Daddy to a little boy! Congratulations! How exciting! That's way more interesting than the tactics of winning a geo-challenge! Thanks for sharing the news!

OBTW..I think gc.com will let you change your name to John&Jess&babyboy :)

Not so fast! I think Becca might have a problem with that. :rolleyes:

She signed "Jess&babyboy". Don't know if that's a reference to the baby or John. ;)

Here's wishing you guys a healthy baby; hope he/she don't whine as much as I do.

Edited by Chuy!

Honestly, Condor Man and I had no idea that there were no bikes allowed on the trail. We were going at all these caches so quickly that we didn't even read some of the cache descriptions. Last time we went out to Laguna for Phil's Memorial Cache, a hiker told us that bikes were definitely allowed. Obviously he was refering to the Big Laguna Trail and not the trail system you put us on for these caches. I did notice bike tracks on the trail prior to us hopping on. I consider myself a play by rules person and if I had broke any rules during this challenge, it definitely was not intentional. The last challenge I did was the 52 card series, where I did the entire series on foot and came in fourth on the Joker to guys off roading and on bikes. Since then I picked up a used mtn bike, which I am very novice to. If I don't say anything to people on trails, it's because I'm out of shape and dying from all the work. I find myself walking the dadgum bike more than riding it on these trails anyways. If I have somehow made another cacher upset, I apologize and want to let you know that I am a very nice person who has no time to make enemies. I enjoy meeting all of you at events. It's one of my goals in this new hobby of mine, to meet new people and feel welcomed. I hope that we didn't complete this challenge on a sour note.

PS - If you want me to run the Laguna trail again for 2 loops, I'm game but I'll have to wait for the PO on my legs to heal first. I'm open to any of your thoughts (duck432@yahoo.com).

Sincerely,

Darold aka duck432

Honestly, Condor Man and I had no idea that there were no bikes allowed on the trail. We were going at all these caches so quickly that we didn't even read some of the cache descriptions. Last time we went out to Laguna for Phil's Memorial Cache, a hiker told us that bikes were definitely allowed. Obviously he was refering to the Big Laguna Trail and not the trail system you put us on for these caches. I did notice bike tracks on the trail prior to us hopping on. I consider myself a play by rules person and if I had broke any rules during this challenge, it definitely was not intentional. The last challenge I did was the 52 card series, where I did the entire series on foot and came in fourth on the Joker to guys off roading and on bikes. Since then I picked up a used mtn bike, which I am very novice to. If I don't say anything to people on trails, it's because I'm out of shape and dying from all the work. I find myself walking the dadgum bike more than riding it on these trails anyways. If I have somehow made another cacher upset, I apologize and want to let you know that I am a very nice person who has no time to make enemies. I enjoy meeting all of you at events. It's one of my goals in this new hobby of mine, to meet new people and feel welcomed. I hope that we didn't complete this challenge on a sour note.

PS - If you want me to run the Laguna trail again for 2 loops, I'm game but I'll have to wait for the PO on my legs to heal first. I'm open to any of your thoughts (duck432@yahoo.com).

Sincerely,

Darold aka duck432

I was just joking about the 720 penalty turn. As far as I am concerned, your mea culpa is accepted... :)

In case anyone was wondering, I count 946 finds on the 101 Dalmatians so far, and that's just the on-line log entries. I'm sure some people are a little behind in their logging, so we've probably had at least 1001 finds on the puppy caches so far!!! I am sooooooooo happy about the results. With 101 caches hidden, all of the clues worked perfectly (as evidenced by the FTF and STF), and only a small handful of issues with coords, muggles, etc. The cache containers and chosen locations are all top notch!! Well done, everyone!!! All 25 hiders should be congratulated!!

Hiders are, in no particular order:

T. R. Violin

lulu499

Chuck B

Chuy!

LLOT

The Lost Clan

PQGeoTrekkers

Skillet!

fisnjack

Thunder-4

Splashman

SD Rowdies

Devhead

Tombmaker!

Duncan!

Snake & Rooster

john and jahoadi

Triple Crown

The Fat Cats

Team Fatman

The Dillon Gang

Superdave!

Jaredloser!

map4navigation

kwvers!

Sincerely,

Darold aka duck432

I was just joking about the 720 penalty turn. As far as I am concerned, your mea culpa is accepted... :)

Top rated mea culpa, well done. Also well done on the Dalmatian hunt but

what took you and Condor Man so long?

4) We were tactical on this series as there was a leaderboard that tracked everyone's finds so you could see where you stood...so we got the final FTF in a "wiley" manner, yes... but see point 1 and 2 above...wahhhhhh!!! :laughing:

~Jess&babyboy

:D Wow! Jess is pregnant and John is gonna be a Daddy to a little boy! Congratulations! How exciting! That's way more interesting than the tactics of winning a geo-challenge! Thanks for sharing the news!

OBTW..I think gc.com will let you change your name to John&Jess&babyboy :laughing:

See the part I highlighted above.

Jess said she is pregnant...she didn't say John was going to be a daddy. That is an assumption on your part.

:laughing:

:P

4) We were tactical on this series as there was a leaderboard that tracked everyone's finds so you could see where you stood...so we got the final FTF in a "wiley" manner, yes... but see point 1 and 2 above...wahhhhhh!!! :laughing:

~Jess&babyboy

OBTW..I think gc.com will let you change your name to John&Jess&babyboy :D

See the part I highlighted above.

Jess said she is pregnant...she didn't say John was going to be a daddy. That is an assumption on your part.

:laughing:

:P

:laughing: I hate when that happens! I was just wishful thinking.....

Like Duck432 said we had only been up to Laguna once and that was on the other trail not too far away where Phil's Memorial Cache is. It is ashame we somehow missed the sign but being three quarters through when finding out, is abit too late. If we had seen the sign we obviously wouldn't have taken the bikes, even when we did see prior bike tracks. It looks as if we could havecrawled the entire trail and still ended up finding Rolly first. :P Most of us are guilty at one time or another for breaking a geocaching rule, this happening was not intentional at all. It was an honest mistake. Now we know. That's the last thing I would want to live with is knowing we won by breaking the rules. As for not logging until we were done, not the best tactic but it happened. I do normally log FTF's as I find them , but again not proud of it but it just happened that way. I enjoy geocaching just as much as the next person does it's an illness to me. I look forward to events to meet peolpe doing the same hobby I love doing, exchanging fun stories and all that good stuff. I quote duck432 "I hope that we didn't complete this challenge on a sour note

"P.S. Just for the record :) we HIKED Lake Morena.

Sincerely,

Marc aka Condor Man

Just wanted to let you know that the date has been set for the 4th Annual Christmas Lights Geo-Walk. We chose Saturday, December 6th. I will be posting the cache page in the next few days. Can't wait to see everyone again! I'll put in a call to the weather center to ask for clear skies this time!

Robyn :P

Anybody know why Yeshua's Girls did a mass archive on their caches this morning? She had a new one go active in Poway this morning, then archived it along with over 100 other caches a short time later. I hope Carol's okay.

-Tony

that's what i came on to find out as well....

my brother saw the new notification only to go to it and see it's archived already, and then i came home and saw that the rest of them have been archived as well.

anyone know?

-Eric (irish10)

Anybody know why Yeshua's Girls did a mass archive on their caches this morning? She had a new one go active in Poway this morning, then archived it along with over 100 other caches a short time later. I hope Carol's okay.

-Tony

that's what i came on to find out as well....

my brother saw the new notification only to go to it and see it's archived already, and then i came home and saw that the rest of them have been archived as well.

anyone know?

-Eric (irish10)

I doubt they have physically removed all the caches. Until then, if you sign a log, you can still log the find online - unless, of course, they delete your log which can happen, but you have a good cause to argue your case against that.

It appears that, effective today, non-premium members can no longer log premium member caches. There were three ways for non-premi members to log their finds on member-only caches. All three ways have been curtailed. Ginger! was in the running for saving all the puppies. Guess I'm going to have to get premi accounts for her and Mocha!. Whah. Maybe just for 3 months so they can log the Dalmatians.

I hated archiving the IHOs. But TrailGators had to go as the fountains went and they contain the clues. Maybe I can make that one a stand alone. As for IHO: Toby's Gang no one found it since the last finder posted a nasty note about it being off the trail and the signs posted about don't leave the trail. So I thought it should go too.

I've always tried to do things right and make caching fun for those who like hikes and those who have kids and want some urban caches. First I had to learn that everyone hated my Biblical hints so I canned those. Then I learned that my Homers were blatant commercial caches even though my DH didn't even work there anymore.

When I got lost trying to find Pongo (you can get very reasonable coordinates even if you solve the puzzle wrong) I saw a hawk nest in a metal power pole. I thought it was so cool. One hawk soared above me "talking" to me and the other stayed on the nest. It was so tranquil and beautiful. I wanted to share the beauty with other cachers. So I returned, planted a cache, and posted. The nest is 200' or so high, surrounded by barbed wire. The cache was 400' or so from the power pole. I put some "trivia" about hawks on the page and said where to look to see the nest, etc. Bad. Bad. Bad.

I got a chip for being accused of intentionally bringing people out who could harm the raptors or cause them to abandon their nest. W/o even contacting me first the reviewer archived it with this note:

"I have finished reviewing your cache and have archived it. The problem with your cache is that it appears to intentionally entice cachers to visit an area with the specific intent of viewing nesting raptors, their nest, and any potential offspring.

Raptors are protected by both State and Federal laws, and harassing, them is illegal. Even the possession of raptor feathers without the proper permits may result in heavy fines.

Even if there were no laws protecting these birds, the tenets of geocaching have always included protecting nature and the environment. Leading a string of geocachers to a spot with a pair of nesting raptors, and possibly disturbing them to the point where they abandon their eggs or babies is a reasonably foreseeable outcome of placing a cache in this sensitive area."

I do respect the geogods in their decisions about cache placement. Sometimes I disagree but who cares, it's just a game. And it's their game. I just felt so awful.

Yes, most of the caches are still out there. I don't get around too much with work, homeschooling, and my DH out of work again.

Just wanted you to know since you all asked. That was a nice surprise.

I hated archiving the IHOs. But TrailGators had to go as the fountains went and they contain the clues. Maybe I can make that one a stand alone. As for IHO: Toby's Gang no one found it since the last finder posted a nasty note about it being off the trail and the signs posted about don't leave the trail. So I thought it should go too.

I've always tried to do things right and make caching fun for those who like hikes and those who have kids and want some urban caches. First I had to learn that everyone hated my Biblical hints so I canned those. Then I learned that my Homers were blatant commercial caches even though my DH didn't even work there anymore.

When I got lost trying to find Pongo (you can get very reasonable coordinates even if you solve the puzzle wrong) I saw a hawk nest in a metal power pole. I thought it was so cool. One hawk soared above me "talking" to me and the other stayed on the nest. It was so tranquil and beautiful. I wanted to share the beauty with other cachers. So I returned, planted a cache, and posted. The nest is 200' or so high, surrounded by barbed wire. The cache was 400' or so from the power pole. I put some "trivia" about hawks on the page and said where to look to see the nest, etc. Bad. Bad. Bad.

I got a chip for being accused of intentionally bringing people out who could harm the raptors or cause them to abandon their nest. W/o even contacting me first the reviewer archived it with this note:

"I have finished reviewing your cache and have archived it. The problem with your cache is that it appears to intentionally entice cachers to visit an area with the specific intent of viewing nesting raptors, their nest, and any potential offspring.

Raptors are protected by both State and Federal laws, and harassing, them is illegal. Even the possession of raptor feathers without the proper permits may result in heavy fines.

Even if there were no laws protecting these birds, the tenets of geocaching have always included protecting nature and the environment. Leading a string of geocachers to a spot with a pair of nesting raptors, and possibly disturbing them to the point where they abandon their eggs or babies is a reasonably foreseeable outcome of placing a cache in this sensitive area."

I do respect the geogods in their decisions about cache placement. Sometimes I disagree but who cares, it's just a game. And it's their game. I just felt so awful.

Yes, most of the caches are still out there. I don't get around too much with work, homeschooling, and my DH out of work again.

They could have been nicer about it. I also don't get how a cache 400 feet away from a very high nest surrounded by barb wire would hurt anything. Edited by TrailGators

That explains 3 caches; what about the other 100+ ?

I think the reviewers response is well-written and explicit why it's being archived. I don't read any anti-Yeshua's-Girls about it, just a concern about disturbing nesting raptors. I might have put a cache there too before realizing the negative impact as noted by the reviewer.

I think the reviewers response is well-written and explicit why it's being archived. I don't read any anti-Yeshua's-Girls about it, just a concern about disturbing nesting raptors. I might have put a cache there too before realizing the negative impact as noted by the reviewer.

Firstly, there is a cache probably closer to the nest than the one I tried to place. There was no way this cache would disturb nesting raptors. And, as I said, it wasn't what they said just how they said it. As if I'm *trying* to have people disturb the hawks. As for the other 100+ caches, just a knee-jerk emotional reaction, that's all. No justification for it. Just me being stupid.

I am probably unqualified to comment on this as I am very new at it. Less than one month. I only have 19 finds, but 6 of them were Yeshua's Girls. I'm glad I got them but very sorry to see them go. Thank you for them. I hope you hide more. And thank you for finding mine.

Leading a string of geocachers to a spot with a pair of nesting raptors, and possibly disturbing them to the point where they abandon their eggs or babies is a reasonably foreseeable outcome of placing a cache in this sensitive area
I think the reviewers response is well-written and explicit why it's being archived.

But it doesn't explain why the other cache -- as close, if not closer, to the hawks -- was not archived.

The area in question is open to mountain bikes, horse, leashed dogs and pedestrians. Any one who goes there is going to see the hawks. I was there on Sunday. I saw the hawks. (And they saw me.) And I was there to find a cache. Five of them, in fact. I was not the only cacher to visit the area that day either.

So whether YGMom's cache was approved or archived, the cachers will still come. And, unless they are totally fixated on the arrow, they will see the hawks. The reviewers have not seen fit to archive the other caches even though they will bring cachers to area. So, one can only conclude that the difference the cache that was archived and those that were not is that the archived one advertises the presence of hawks and the other five do not.

It's not my place to question a reviewer's decision but an alternative open to the reviewer could have simply been to request that the new cache not mention the hawks. In fairness, the reviewer could have also archived all five of the existing caches in the vicinity. Thankfully, the reviewer did not do so.

So anyway, here's one of the hawks. Now that you've seen the picture, stay away. There is no need to go there. (Unless, of course, you still want to find Rolly...)

5c4aa437-680f-4611-aaeb-a566e4add555.jpg

Leading a string of geocachers to a spot with a pair of nesting raptors, and possibly disturbing them to the point where they abandon their eggs or babies is a reasonably foreseeable outcome of placing a cache in this sensitive area
I think the reviewers response is well-written and explicit why it's being archived.

But it doesn't explain why the other cache -- as close, if not closer, to the hawks -- was not archived.

The area in question is open to mountain bikes, horse, leashed dogs and pedestrians. Any one who goes there is going to see the hawks. I was there on Sunday. I saw the hawks. (And they saw me.) And I was there to find a cache. Five of them, in fact. I was not the only cacher to visit the area that day either.

So whether YGMom's cache was approved or archived, the cachers will still come. And, unless they are totally fixated on the arrow, they will see the hawks. The reviewers have not seen fit to archive the other caches even though they will bring cachers to area. So, one can only conclude that the difference the cache that was archived and those that were not is that the archived one advertises the presence of hawks and the other five do not.

It's not my place to question a reviewer's decision but an alternative open to the reviewer could have simply been to request that the new cache not mention the hawks. In fairness, the reviewer could have also archived all five of the existing caches in the vicinity. Thankfully, the reviewer did not do so.

So anyway, here's one of the hawks. Now that you've seen the picture, stay away. There is no need to go there. (Unless, of course, you still want to find Rolly...)

5c4aa437-680f-4611-aaeb-a566e4add555.jpg

Maybe a ranger complained about that cache. That would also explain the swift action taken. I think you are right about mentioning the hawks on the cache page being the real issue. Evidently, these hawks get nervous if people stop and stare at them. Ironically, it looks like the hawk in that photo is about six feet from 70,000 volts. Edited by TrailGators