The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

:) What a waste of good camo Duct Tape! :D Toby's Gang was in dire need on the Rosarito to Ensenada Bike Ride and as a good geo-cacher he was prepared! Nice job Jerry..and it lasted the last 15 (+) miles too!

5c957935-29a5-4656-9e0d-09220135198e.jpg

Down in Texas where I come from we call that "Tar tape."

It was actually Chuy! that had the duct tape. I mean really, who carries duct tape with them on a 50 mile bike ride?? A Geocacher of course!

What you can't see in the picture is the piece of cardboard I put inside the tire to keep in the tube and my crossed fingers hoping it would last.

We had a great ride and and even better group of friends. It really was quite an adventure and I wouldn't pass it up for anything in the world.

dctalk007 is officially in the Army!

IMG_1093.jpg

In The Army Now

A vacation in a foreign land

Uncle Sam does the best he can

You're in the army now

Oh, oh, you're in the army now

Now you remember what the draftsman said

Nothing to do all day but stay in bed

You're in the army now

You be the hero of the neighborhood

Nobody knows that you left for good

You're in the army now

Smiling faces as you wait to land

But once you get there no one gives a dadgum

You're in the army now

Hand grenades flying over your head

Missiles flying over your head

If you want to survive get out of bed

You're in the army now

Shots ring out in the dad of night

The sergeant calls (stand up and fight)

You're in the army now

You've got your orders better shoot on sight

Your finger's on the trigger

But it don't seem right

You're in the army now

You're in the army now

Night is falling and you just can't see

Is this illusion or reality

You're in the army now

You're in the army now

:D

Good luck! (And keep your head down...)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
dctalk007 is officially in the Army!

IMG_1093.jpg

In The Army Now

A vacation in a foreign land

Uncle Sam does the best he can

You're in the army now

Now you remember what the draftsman said

Nothing to do all day but stay in bed

You're in the army now

You be the hero of the neighborhood

Nobody knows that you left for good

You're in the army now

Smiling faces as you wait to land

But once you get there no one gives a dadgum

You're in the army now

Hand grenades flying over your head

Missiles flying over your head

If you want to survive get out of bed

You're in the army now

Shots ring out in the dad of night

The sergeant calls (stand up and fight)

You're in the army now

You've got your orders better shoot on sight

Your finger's on the trigger

But it don't seem right

You're in the army now

You're in the army now

Night is falling and you just can't see

Is this illusion or reality

You're in the army now

You're in the army now

Good luck! (And keep your head down...)

Thank you for your service!!

This concerns MTRP north of the 52, south of MCAS.

Is there interest in getting an authoritative definition of the MCAS border in this area? Right now, I have two posits that are very good, but need to be double and triple checked:

P1: N32 51.179/W117 03.233,

and

P2: N32 52.494/W117 03.222

P1 is right by the 52; anything west of it is on MCAS property.

P2 is almost due north of P1; anything north of it is on MCAS property. Plug the points into Google Maps and it'll be more clear.

Those posits are informally from the MCAS GIS mapping team, so I like them, but I want to be super-sure, so I plan to get survey info from the deed, confirm the coords defined by the survey info, and make those available. Then cache hiders in MTRP North could put a note that says something like:

"I understand MCAS property's southern boundary is XXX; this cache is at YYY which is south and not on MCAS property. I can be contacted at ZZZ-ZZZZ if there are questions or issues."

I'd hate to see overeager PMO's removing caches that are not on MCAS property.

So what's the interest level? PM me if you care.

Is there interest in getting an authoritative definition of the MCAS border in this area? Right now, I have two posits that are very good, but need to be double and triple checked:

and

P2 is almost due north of P1; anything north of it is on MCAS property. Plug the points into Google Maps and it'll be more clear.

Those posits are informally from the MCAS GIS mapping team, so I like them, but I want to be super-sure, so I plan to get survey info from the deed, confirm the coords defined by the survey info, and make those available. Then cache hiders in MTRP North could put a note that says something like:

"I understand MCAS property's southern boundary is XXX; this cache is at YYY which is south and not on MCAS property. I can be contacted at ZZZ-ZZZZ if there are questions or issues."

A friend of Toby's Gang put together this view of MCAS Miramar based on the county assessor's data back in 2006. Shortly before this, I had an encounter with the MPs in the "no-go" zone. The information they gave me was very much in alignment with this view. Later, when the Marines discovered that they had caches on base, they asked to have them archived. Again, they were very consistent with the county assessors' data. Far from being "overeager" (unlike a certain desert park supervisor) they've been fine with caches pretty much right up to the line...

df78c8a9-28fc-40ec-8ce8-b450aacee9e8.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, that's close enough for jazz. I'm not sure what would be gained over a few feet of real estate.

and

A friend of Toby's Gang put together this view of MCAS Miramar based on the county assessor's data back in 2006. Shortly before this, I had an encounter with the MPs in the "no-go" zone. The information they gave me was very much in alignment with this view. Later, when the Marines discovered that they had caches on base, they asked to have them archived. Again, they were very consistent with the county assessors' data. Far from being "overeager" (unlike a certain desert park supervisor) they've been fine with caches pretty much right up to the line...

df78c8a9-28fc-40ec-8ce8-b450aacee9e8.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, that's close enough for jazz. I'm not sure what would be gained over a few feet of real estate.

Here's what the caches in the area look like using the points provided by BadSquirrel. Just a couple of them (northern ones in Shepherd Canyon) encroach a very small bit to the west...

323a0a08-44d0-4ccc-a096-fa305f1c91aa.jpg

<quote>

(PIC)

Here's what the caches in the area look like using the points provided by BadSquirrel. Just a couple of them (northern ones in Shepherd Canyon) encroach a very small bit to the west...

(PIC)

<unquote>

The reason I posted is I found (actually DNF'd) a cache MIA just south of the MCAS border over by the landfill. (J&J's "Whay We Recycle"). A fellow DNF'r also DNF'd a J&J cache east of the landfill, along that line of latitude, and opined it was removed by the PMO. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a PMO; I'm not sure they are given precise GPS posits when they patrol. I could see the cache's location being mistaken for on MCAS property, as it is well north of the fence by the landfill. I think a clear note in the log of these close caches would help them stay around.

Also, interestingly enough, a couple of those caches that infringe in FM's pic (specifically "Refit and Reconstitute") had notes in the logs by the PMO's that said, in effect, "don't go any farther north or east". I agree they *do* infringe; this supports my assertion that the PMO's do not have precise coords.

They're good guys, with good intentions...I want to make sure they protect MCAS land, but only MCAS land.

And yes, I realize this applies to only about 10 caches in the county.

The reason I posted is I found (actually DNF'd) a cache MIA just south of the MCAS border over by the landfill. (J&J's "Whay We Recycle"). A fellow DNF'r also DNF'd a J&J cache east of the landfill, along that line of latitude, and opined it was removed by the PMO. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a PMO; I'm not sure they are given precise GPS posits when they patrol.

In the past, when they have discovered a cache that encroaches on MCAS, they have contacted Marko Ramius and asked him to archive the cache (The Marines want to keep people out of MCAS Miramar. Merely removing the cache does not serve the purpose of preventing people from looking for it. Only archival does this...) They have also collected the container and held it until it could be picked up by the cache owner.

That's not to say that they haven't changed their practice, but the hypothesis that they were picked up by a PMO is not consistent with past practice.

Check out the newest TV Star :lol::lol: - Again we are OK :D:D - this was last week it Yosemite. Woke us up just before 7am, the total amount of rock that fell off the granite wall was equivalent to 180 dump trucks.- We'll be home Sunday, after 3 days at Disney and I will post a few pics.

http://video.nbc11.com/player/?id=738024

Dave :lol: .........I read about that on my Phone..... was wondering :laughing: if it was near where you and Jared where camping, I think Jared needs to hang out in the backyard for awhile :unsure: he has had some close calls lately, The next time I see you Jared you better be wearing bubble wrap and a hard hat :P

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Check out the newest TV Star :D:lol: - Again we are OK :laughing::unsure: - this was last week it Yosemite. Woke us up just before 7am, the total amount of rock that fell off the granite wall was equivalent to 180 dump trucks.- We'll be home Sunday, after 3 days at Disney and I will post a few pics.

http://video.nbc11.com/player/?id=738024

:P At least when I lost him I didn't lose him in an avalanche of rocks!! We're gonna get some mileage out of this one..... :D Thank goodness you are both ok!

Ever been to Tunnels? It's a really cool place between Park Village and CA-56. There are a bunch of gullies that are overgrown by scrub oak which forms a series of tunnels (Hence the name...) It's been a very popular place among the mountain bikers. Well, if you want to see this place, you might want to go soon. Access to the area is about to be closed (probably by mid-November at the latest.) and the area will be patrolled (with hefty fines if you get caught.) The politics of the closure are rather convoluted so I won't go into it here but suffice to say that the MTB crowd made a valiant attempt to keep the area open (at the cost of closing some trails) but apparently that effort carried no weight whatsoever. :anicute:

f4be88ee-c213-49b7-baf5-b8f2ccca2c88.jpg

As this story evolves I'll try to provide updates...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Was in my back yard grilling and noticed a light coming from the caches on the hill east of the dump then saw brake lights. So who drove up there. I wanted to do the same but figured there would be a sheriff coming down Mast just as I was getting on to Mast. ;):D:D:(

When we were hikiing up there a month or so ago, there was a Jeep that passed us on the ridge, then he was turning around to head back when the trail turned into single track. I think they might come up by the dump entrance. Sooooo, what were you grilling? You left out the important stuff! :D

The Splashes

Was in my back yard grilling and noticed a light coming from the caches on the hill east of the dump then saw brake lights. So who drove up there. I wanted to do the same but figured there would be a sheriff coming down Mast just as I was getting on to Mast. ;):D:D:(

When we were hikiing up there a month or so ago, there was a Jeep that passed us on the ridge, then he was turning around to head back when the trail turned into single track. I think they might come up by the dump entrance. Sooooo, what were you grilling? You left out the important stuff! :blink:

The Splashes

Yea must of been a Jeep cause a Toyota would of keep going :D:D:D

Chicken Burgers with cheese. :D:P:rolleyes:

You sure it wasn't one of these? :D

bdf90a00-4472-4b09-a4a7-13cff2ac006c.jpg

Being close to the backside of Miramar you never know. :D:D:D

Edited by Team Fatman

You sure it wasn't one of these? :D

bdf90a00-4472-4b09-a4a7-13cff2ac006c.jpg

Being close to the backside of Miramar you never know. :D:D:D

O please, only in Lakeside.

Ever been to Tunnels? It's a really cool place between Park Village and CA-56. There are a bunch of gullies that are overgrown by scrub oak which forms a series of tunnels (Hence the name...) It's been a very popular place among the mountain bikers. Well, if you want to see this place, you might want to go soon. Access to the area is about to be closed (probably by mid-November at the latest.) and the area will be patrolled (with hefty fines if you get caught.) The politics of the closure are rather convoluted so I won't go into it here but suffice to say that the MTB crowd made a valiant attempt to keep the area open (at the cost of closing some trails) but apparently that effort carried no weight whatsoever. ;)

I love that area! It is so cool to be able to walk on a path and have trees provide shade the whole way. And you can't figure out your path ahead of time using Google Earth. There just aren't that many places like that around here. I haven't grabbed all the new ones out there, so I will now make an effort to do so before they close it. Thanks for the warning, James. I'd previously heard that at least the NE part was to be turned into a housing development, but it doesn't seem like the best economic climate to make new housing tracks.

Ever been to Tunnels? It's a really cool place between Park Village and CA-56. There are a bunch of gullies that are overgrown by scrub oak which forms a series of tunnels (Hence the name...) It's been a very popular place among the mountain bikers. Well, if you want to see this place, you might want to go soon. Access to the area is about to be closed (probably by mid-November at the latest.) and the area will be patrolled (with hefty fines if you get caught.) The politics of the closure are rather convoluted so I won't go into it here but suffice to say that the MTB crowd made a valiant attempt to keep the area open (at the cost of closing some trails) but apparently that effort carried no weight whatsoever. ;)

I love that area! It is so cool to be able to walk on a path and have trees provide shade the whole way. And you can't figure out your path ahead of time using Google Earth. There just aren't that many places like that around here. I haven't grabbed all the new ones out there, so I will now make an effort to do so before they close it. Thanks for the warning, James. I'd previously heard that at least the NE part was to be turned into a housing development, but it doesn't seem like the best economic climate to make new housing tracks.

'I've never been to that area. Is is still open? If so, maybe we could do one last SDCET there....

18282fc4-e61b-4d4d-a0c1-65cedf0c1646.jpg

Hmm, I saw a related wanted poster at the post office yesterday.

According to the poster Cruella de Vil is like seven feet tall. Must

be a mistake, she seems much shorter in the movie.

Not to worry ... Sgt. Seymour Argyle will be stationed at the door

during the 101-Dalmation Event.

Edited by SD Rowdies
:) Ten dancing men is the most that the site will you post. So now I need to find a mega-dancing man. I still can't believe that people are finding that many caches. When I started Parsa had ~400 finds and I thought that was mazing! :santa:

You could use an Animated GIF editor to make a dual dancing man (DM) image. That combined with the single DM should be good for up to 20,000 caches -- which at the current find rates should be good at least until January...

:) Ten dancing men is the most that the site will you post. So now I need to find a mega-dancing man. I still can't believe that people are finding that many caches. When I started Parsa had ~400 finds and I thought that was mazing! :santa:

You could use an Animated GIF editor to make a dual dancing man (DM) image. That combined with the single DM should be good for up to 20,000 caches -- which at the current find rates should be good at least until January...

:santa: If I had an animated gif editor, I could just make a dancing Godzilla to signify 10,000 finds! :anicute:

Ever been to Tunnels? It's a really cool place between Park Village and CA-56. There are a bunch of gullies that are overgrown by scrub oak which forms a series of tunnels (Hence the name...) It's been a very popular place among the mountain bikers. Well, if you want to see this place, you might want to go soon. Access to the area is about to be closed (probably by mid-November at the latest.) and the area will be patrolled (with hefty fines if you get caught.) The politics of the closure are rather convoluted so I won't go into it here but suffice to say that the MTB crowd made a valiant attempt to keep the area open (at the cost of closing some trails) but apparently that effort carried no weight whatsoever. :)

'I've never been to that area. Is is still open? If so, maybe we could do one last SDCET there....

I was just up there this morning and it is still open. Due to the impending closure of the area, I plan to remove all my caches there on Monday Nov 3rd and to temporarily disable them.

It is a very unique area. So if you are interested, come out.

e7107fbf-a63b-452e-bdd6-ca7a5f70bb0d.jpg

Godzilla doesn't want to dance. He said something about not liking Hip Hop because it gives him a headache.

So does anyone have another suggestion for a 10000 find dancer?

Maybe we should have a little dancing competition.....

gator1dt9.gifbaby14uj7.gifmonsterdanceid2.gif

That dancing trailgator is kinda cool. The baby freaks me out.....but I'm not voting yet..I know there will be more choices.