The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Those of you who have been chasing dtn9129's recent caches, have become familiar with an area that the mountain bike community refers to as "Tunnels". If so, you might be interested in the following:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=450300

If you don't know already, there are a network of trails in San Diego that have nearly been "loved to death" after the canyons were "reclaimed" from itinerant workers displaced by La Migra raids. With Lake Hodges and Martha's Grove ravaged by fires, the trails community has been enjoying these private property "permission" trails in increasing volume and, if you've been there or read on this site, you probably either know or love them. Now, the parcels are part of a package to become part of the City Open Space system and are subject to a Draft Resource Management Plan that doesn't provide for any of them: by implication this means the trails would instantly become illegal, as confirmed by the Deputy Director of Open Space, if this plan were to be adopted as is.

After yeoman's work by Rob Mikuteit to document, record and map all the trails within the Del Mar Mesa RMP area, the Multiuse Trails Coalition and SDMBA have a draft trails plan concept prepared for the entire area to be discussed at the September 18th CAC meeting set for 6:00pm (not 7) at the Canyonside Rec Center (not the ranch house).

It will be prepared for public consumption ASAP. The important thing to know is that the battle for trails access in these areas unfortunately starts from the basis set by the author(s) of the draft RMP: NO TRAILS OTHER THAN THE UTILITY ROAD. The opposite extreme is "any and all trails that are there now".

The position of the involved trail-access advocates is that neither extreme is appropriate, responsible or acceptable. So, we have endeavored to draw up a trails plan that provides loops, access and -- where possible-- Full Multiuse Access for all non-motorized trail users.

This plan will also call for the eradication/closure of many trails in the Deer Canyon area. Some of these trails are obviously junk, others are "wonderful", but all are what the opponents of trail access will argue should be closed (ie part of "all"). You might be surprised to see how many trails are actually in there, right now! When you do, it will be obvious that it's "more than enough".

Please schedule your attendance at the CAC meeting into your calendar, now. Our goal will be to voice our overwhelming community support for an engineered trails system for runners, cyclists and equestrians that will be sustainable, useful and enable San Diegans to access the habitat and environmental amenities that we pay for with our tax dollars. It's not about "recreation" but rather "public access to open space". Please reach out to your neighbors, co-workeers and more: let them know you'll be coming to them with a request that they FAX and Phone local leaders and City staff in support of trails access for our kids, families and future. This applies to equestrians, trail runners, hikers and bikes, equally: we all like and enjoy trails!

Go time is coming as fast as we can get there.

It will be a sad day if these trails are closed. I've both ridden and hiked these trails are there are no other trails like this in San Diego county. If you haven't been there yet, you are missing out.

In case you're not familiar where this is, it's south of Ted Williams (Hwy 56) at Camino del sur.

ok, I have a 150 miles on the Toy, who's going to lead a trail run to break in the virgin?

I'm up for a Bear Valley Loop trip. But, I have to stop for Buckman Mountain.

I need six caches; you virgins have a pick of some 40+ .

Sunday, 0600?

Can you wait one week later so I can do it to?

I am on call this sunday.

If not have fun.

OK then Sundat the 21 @600 am

Thanks guys.

ok, I have a 150 miles on the Toy, who's going to lead a trail run to break in the virgin?

Sunday, 0600?

If not have fun.

Edited by shortwing

Sunday, 0600?

If not have fun.

OK then Sunday the 21 @600 am

Thanks guys.

Edited by shortwing

Rumor has it Tecate Peak may be closing to vehicular traffic due to increased vehicular traffic. I wonder what could have caused that!? :(

shortwing, that's a nice relatively smooth trail to the peak if you want to test out your new wheels.

So, what exactly did you get? Got pics?

Rumor has it Tecate Peak may be closing to vehicular traffic due to increased vehicular traffic. I wonder what could have caused that!? :(

shortwing, that's a nice relatively smooth trail to the peak if you want to test out your new wheels.

So, what exactly did you get? Got pics?

1st gen 4 runner. I don't know how to post pictures and I don't think my work computer allows that.

I found it in a junk yard down by the Mexican border - towed it home and two months of repairs later, its trail ready.

Sunday, 0600?

If not have fun.

Thanks guys.

I forgot that sunday the 21th. will not work for me cause I have a youth turkey event that morning in Escondido. So you guys stay will this sunday and I will get up there later.

But thanks for changing the date for me. :blink::ph34r::(

Edited by Team Fatman
Just came home along the fifty-two and saw the fire there. Started along the freeway ... maybe under Shepherd Canyon Bridge. Rapidly spreading north and spreading eastward toward Spring Canyon Bridge. Advancing up the ridge toward Ithmuth and Just Whithtle Geocaches. Good chance that the hide under Shepherd Canyon Bridge is roasted. Lots of response ... Sheriff, Police, and fire all along the freeway.

Get some new containers ready, there might be some new openings north of the fifty-two.

Yea I just drove home today and looked over there and it doesn't look good. :blink::ph34r:

Just came home along the fifty-two and saw the fire there. Started along the freeway ... maybe under Shepherd Canyon Bridge. Rapidly spreading north and spreading eastward toward Spring Canyon Bridge. Advancing up the ridge toward Ithmuth and Just Whithtle Geocaches. Good chance that the hide under Shepherd Canyon Bridge is roasted. Lots of response ... Sheriff, Police, and fire all along the freeway.

Get some new containers ready, there might be some new openings north of the fifty-two.

Yea I just drove home today and looked over there and it doesn't look good. :blink::ph34r:

I drove up the 52 at 11am this morning. It looks like the whole area as far as I can see is scorched.

Sunday, 0600?

If not have fun.

Thanks guys.

I forgot that sunday the 21th. will not work for me cause I have a youth turkey event that morning in Escondido. So you guys stay will this sunday and I will get up there later.

No worries. Besides, I forgot this Sunday is the Balboa Park Flash Event.

My might hit MTRP at 0600 if anyone wants to join me and the girls.

Sunday, 0600?

If not have fun.

Thanks guys.

I should be there.

I should be there.

MTRP, Balboa Park, or both?

Two GC.com events and a meetup.com event this weekend

Tonight 6pm-8pm - GC1FEKE TK7464 Goes over the hill by TK7464 - Peter Piper Pizza, Rancho San Diego.

Sunday 8:45am-9:00am - GC1FT11 Flash Cache Event by SuperDave!, jaredloser and GEO-K9-Betsy!, Balboa Park, Near the Hall of Champions

Sunday 9am -- meetup.com geocachers - Finding all of the Balboa Park Caches - Hall of Champions

I should be there.

MTRP, Balboa Park, or both?

MTRP - its at 6 am right. Its near my house. Then bear vally loop or corral canyon, buckman springs and caching out old 80 in my new truck.

or balboa park - its just too hard to decide

When I click on an icon in Google Earth for a cache exported from GSAK as a GPX file and imported into Google Earth, I get "unpublished". I used to get the cache page. This has been happening for a while and I can't seem to find a forum thread anywhere on it. Can anyone tell me what is going on and how to work around it?

Have you dowloaded and installed the Geocache Browser for Google Earth?

Find the download link within the Google Mapping Features pane of your

My Account page. The link is -

Google Geocache Browser

Edited by SD Rowdies

When I click on an icon in Google Earth for a cache exported from GSAK as a GPX file and imported into Google Earth, I get "unpublished". I used to get the cache page. This has been happening for a while and I can't seem to find a forum thread anywhere on it. Can anyone tell me what is going on and how to work around it?

Google Geocache Browser

Not recently, and haven't had any troubles clicking thru the icons from the geocaching.com klm, just the icons from the GSAK gpx file format. But I'll give it a try!

Google Geocache Browser

Not recently, and haven't had any troubles clicking thru the icons

from the geocaching.com klm, just the icons from the GSAK gpx

file format. But I'll give it a try!

Stop me if you already know this ...

Once you download and save the Geocaching Network KML file,

drag it onto the Places/My Places sidebar option of Google Earth.

You should see a new entry pop up under My Places named

"Geocaching Network KML." Double-click the title line for that

new entry and all Geocache icons within the Google Earth view

window should appear no matter where you pan or zoom.

Hover the cursor over any Geocache icon of the view window to

get the cache name, click any icon to get a popup window that

includes both a "View Cache Details" and a "Bookmark it" link.

You mention a problem with GSAK exports, so does your Google

sidebar have a "My Places/MapSource/Waypoints" entry? It

should if you access Google Earth by way of MapSource "View/

View in Google Earth." Indeed waypoints imported to Google

Earth in this fashion have popups that don't include a network

link to the associated cache page, only the cache and owner

names. Sounds like this is the heart of your question.

Excuse me if I'm providing too much detail, I figured that this

explanation might be useful to others. ... but what do I Know,

after all, I'm just an old man.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Claustrophobic Canyon GC11B4K - 1.5 difficulty/ 4 terrain

As dangerous a location as you will find in California. All of the hazards mother nature has to offer, plus some surly urban campers at the entrance.

SuperDave and I assisted Goblin Girl in her quest for this cache, and on the way out someone started hurling large rocks at us! SuperDave politely asked that they cease and desist, well maybe not so politely, and he was quite insistent. More rocks came flying out of the jungle, some landing on the street behind us.

Fortunately one of SDPD's finest happened to be riding by on his BMW and Dave flagged him down. Together the professionals entered the canyon and confronted the perp! After a stern talking-to the ne'er-do-well promised to behave and the officer promised to check on the 'campsite' tomorrow.

Everyday is an adventure! Rock on SuperDave!

As dangerous a location as you will find in California. All of the hazards mother nature has to offer, plus some surly urban campers at the entrance.

SuperDave and I assisted Goblin Girl in her quest for this cache, and on the way out someone started hurling large rocks at us! SuperDave politely asked that they cease and desist, well maybe not so politely, and he was quite insistent. More rocks came flying out of the jungle, some landing on the street behind us.

Fortunately one of SDPD's finest happened to be riding by on his BMW and Dave flagged him down. Together the professionals entered the canyon and confronted the perp! After a stern talking-to the ne'er-do-well promised to behave and the officer promised to check on the 'campsite' tomorrow.

cant be as bad as getting shot at by a bb gun!

cant be as bad as getting shot at by a bb gun!

Harmon! I think I found your kid! :rolleyes:

Cant be as bad as getting shot at by a bb gun!

Harmon! I think I found your kid! :rolleyes:

Dang that kid, I tol' him and I tol' him t' quit th'owin' rocks.

Wondered where that brat ran off to.

Here's another odd twist on this incident. Snake & Rooster

roughed me up one time for not going into that canyon for a

find. Maybe they hired th' rock-throwin' perp' to ambush me

but wound up ambushing y'all.

So here's the part I have trouble with, well, the two parts -

A. "... one of SDPD's finest happened ... by on his BMW."

B. "Together the professionals entered the canyon ...."

Y'all makin' this stuff up? Cop on a BMW and SuperDave is

a professional? Shazam!

B'sides, where's th' pictures?

p.s. Being shot with a BB gun isn't much fun. Like I once said,

one of my half-uncles held me down while the other one put

their BB gun against my thumbnail and pulled the trigger.

Me at about age five no less. The one that pulled the trigger

is now dead and I'm waiting on the other one to go find him.

Thanks for rememberiing my story and thanks to the Claustro-

phobic Canyon team for putting some life into this Forum thread.

Sure tops FlagMan's little pratfall.

Edited by SD Rowdies
kwvers! are at 9688

Splashman is at 9688 00020110.gif

BUT IT'S NOT ABOUT THE NUMBERS RIGHT????

Today

9701kwvers! ........ Current stats

9701splashman...... Current stats

9725...kwvers!.......Current stats...9749

9725...splashman......Current stats.....9749

9698...jahoadi and john......Current stats....9738

Who is holding back their finds waiting for j&j to catch up. 000202ED.gif 0002005F.gif

kwvers! are at 9688

Today

Who is holding back their finds waiting for j&j to catch up. 000202ED.gif 0002005F.gif

Ok, now we all have 9749. So what do we do? :laughing:

kwvers! are at 9688

Today

Draw straws.

:laughing::laughing:

kwvers! are at 9688

Today

Ok, now we all have 9749. So what do we do? :D

All of you get busy and make the campout 10,000 so we can all be there to enjoy it with you. :D:D:D

:laughing::laughing:

kwvers! are at 9688

Today

Ok, now we all have 9749. So what do we do? :D

All of you get busy and make the campout 10,000 so we can all be there to enjoy it with you. :D:D:D

The fun has just begun! [:)] Still having a blast!

kwvers! are at 9688

Today

We're going' Jeepin' for a few weeks, to heck with that caching stuff........... :D:D

The Splashes :laughing::D

****** Don't go Off trail in MTRP**************

Here's a quote from the San Diego Mountain Bike Thread that I was reading:

I was riding Mission Trails Park today (Spring Canyon) and spoke

with my friend (and fellow mountain bike rider), Ranger Mel Naidas.

Ranger Mel is a HUGE bike advocate and has been our strongest ally

for more bike trails. A week and a half ago 25 people volunteered

their time for trail building with Mel and SDMBA many of those

volunteers were you!!!! With that in mind, Mel very rarely closes

trails. When he does, we need to pay attention and pass the word

around.

In the last year, a NEW TRAIL formed near the entrance of Spring

Canyon just north of the Grasslands in Santee. It is on the west

hill going north under 52, connecting to a fireroad. It was a nice

short trail, bypassing the fireroad. Due to endangered birds nesting

under the bridge, that trail is closed and clearly marked. PLEASE

OBEY THE CLOSURE!!!! Furthermore, if you don't Mel is writing $675

tickets!!! He wrote seven $675 tickets yesterday. Looking at the

tremendous amount of NEW trails in Oak and Spring, along with the

support of MTRP, there is no excuse riding this small trail. Yes,

there are military issues further up Spring, but the base commander

and Mel are working together to make those boundaries clear.

Please pass this around to all your friends and groups.

Edited by jahoadi and john
****** Don't go Off trail in MTRP**************

Here's a quote from the San Diego Mountain Bike Thread that I was reading:

I was riding Mission Trails Park today (Spring Canyon) and spoke

with my friend (and fellow mountain bike rider), Ranger Mel Naidas.

Ranger Mel is a HUGE bike advocate and has been our strongest ally

for more bike trails. A week and a half ago 25 people volunteered

their time for trail building with Mel and SDMBA many of those

volunteers were you!!!! With that in mind, Mel very rarely closes

trails. When he does, we need to pay attention and pass the word

around.

In the last year, a NEW TRAIL formed near the entrance of Spring

Canyon just north of the Grasslands in Santee. It is on the west

hill going north under 52, connecting to a fireroad. It was a nice

short trail, bypassing the fireroad. Due to endangered birds nesting

under the bridge, that trail is closed and clearly marked. PLEASE

OBEY THE CLOSURE!!!! Furthermore, if you don't Mel is writing $675

tickets!!! He wrote seven $675 tickets yesterday. Looking at the

tremendous amount of NEW trails in Oak and Spring, along with the

support of MTRP, there is no excuse riding this small trail. Yes,

there are military issues further up Spring, but the base commander

and Mel are working together to make those boundaries clear.

Please pass this around to all your friends and groups.

To that, I would add, just because it looks like a trail, does not mean that it is a trail. Just because someone else has already been there isn't going to sway the man (or woman) with the ticket book... (I bring this up because there is at least one relatively new cache in MTRP that requires travelling on an unofficial trail...hint, it overlooks Mission Gorge Road...)

A trail map can be found at: http://www.mtrp.org/trail_map.asp

The ticket if you were caught used to be only ~$300 (as reported by Barbados Sam, a couple of years back...) The price of everything seems to be going up...

Also something that might be useful to know is that the water department has decided to do some redecorating in MTRP. There will be intermittant trail closures (access restricted to Sundays and non-construction hours) on the west side and the trail from Jackson Drive to the creek will be closed for three months.

9dbef40f-2727-4f8f-93be-d7eb9c58606e.jpg

For more information and to sign up for e-mail updates go to http://missiontrails.sdcwa.org/

Lastly, the 1985 Master Plan that established Mission Trails Regional Park is being updated. Drafts of the update can be found here: http://www.mtrp.org/master_plan.asp

I'm driving to Mobile, AL from SD and was wondering if anyone needed me to drop any TB's or coins along the way, johnny appleseed style? Let me know. Also if you have any food recommendations for Yuma or anywhere else along the way that would be great.

Although their website doesn't have a "caches along a route" feature :) check out www.roadfood.com by Jane and Michael Stern. They and their corps of tasters have found great local food specialties all over the country. The restaurants they recommend range from holes-in-the-wall to white-tie-and-tails, although they tend towards the former (since that's where all the good local food is to be found anyway). And a lot of them are right along the Interstates.

A few years ago, I spent about three months in Yuma one weekend :) but most of the time I was in the mechanic's shop getting my dead car fixed, so I don't recall much about the restaurants. But there was one INCREDIBLE!!!! place in Sedona, Arizona, with a unique local type of chili, unlike anything I've had anywhere else. It's big chunks of meat in a watery, but very spicy, broth. I will try to find its name and post it here, but if you just go to the old courthouse (or whatever it is) where the tourist info office is, they can probably tell you.

Oh, and then you have to drive through Texas. I feel your pain.

But if Boudin King in Jennings, Louisiana, is still in business, GO THERE!!!!!!!!! (!)

And once you get to Mobile, go north on I-65 a ways and you can find Perdido Vineyards. Yes, believe it or not, somebody has been making wine on the Alabama Gulf Coast for thirty years or more. It's not exactly the taste we expect here in California, but they do some, er, interesting things with the grapes that grow in that climate. Expect sugar. Lots of sugar.

I'm driving to Mobile, AL from SD and was wondering if anyone needed me to drop any TB's or coins along the way, johnny appleseed style? Let me know. Also if you have any food recommendations for Yuma or anywhere else along the way that would be great.

Although their website doesn't have a "caches along a route" feature :) check out www.roadfood.com by Jane and Michael Stern. They and their corps of tasters have found great local food specialties all over the country. The restaurants they recommend range from holes-in-the-wall to white-tie-and-tails, although they tend towards the former (since that's where all the good local food is to be found anyway). And a lot of them are right along the Interstates.

A few years ago, I spent about three months in Yuma one weekend :( but most of the time I was in the mechanic's shop getting my dead car fixed, so I don't recall much about the restaurants. But there was one INCREDIBLE!!!! place in Sedona, Arizona, with a unique local type of chili, unlike anything I've had anywhere else. It's big chunks of meat in a watery, but very spicy, broth. I will try to find its name and post it here, but if you just go to the old courthouse (or whatever it is) where the tourist info office is, they can probably tell you.

Oh, and then you have to drive through Texas. I feel your pain.

But if Boudin King in Jennings, Louisiana, is still in business, GO THERE!!!!!!!!! (!)

And once you get to Mobile, go north on I-65 a ways and you can find Perdido Vineyards. Yes, believe it or not, somebody has been making wine on the Alabama Gulf Coast for thirty years or more. It's not exactly the taste we expect here in California, but they do some, er, interesting things with the grapes that grow in that climate. Expect sugar. Lots of sugar.

Not that I'm the biggest fan of texas but to be fair there are some cool spots there. They actually have some sweet state parks throughout the state. Also if you're on I-40 you have to stop at the Big Texan and try to eat the 72 oz steak. I have and I got down 65 oz in the alotted time. That was pretty fun.

Thanks for the tips on food. I will check out that page.

Not that I'm the biggest fan of texas but to be fair there are some cool spots there. They actually have some sweet state parks throughout the state. Also if you're on I-40 you have to stop at the Big Texan and try to eat the 72 oz steak. I have and I got down 65 oz in the alotted time. That was pretty fun.

Thanks for the tips on food. I will check out that page.

True -- the Sterns have some good recommendations of food through south Texas, and once you get into Cajun country in extreme southeast Texas you can get some good food in places like Nederland, the home town of singer Tex Ritter, and despite its name, it's mostly French not Dutch. But at that point you're almost in Louisiana anyway. Sounds like a fun trip!

I got a letter, I got a letter.

Hey everyone, do you remember Halftrack Guy? We all had a big bash to send him off properly to be an Army Ranger.

Halftrack guy event cache

Well seems as though if you write to him, he writes back (well...he wrote back to me). A real deal, hand written on paper, letter, sent via the USPS (United States Postal Service for you acronynm challenged types). B)

Anyhow, seems as though John (halftrack guy) hasn't had much mail. So....if any of you took the postcard from the event and haven't sent it to him yet, well, it is time to send it to him. If you didn't get one of the post cards from the event, how about sending him a note anyways? I know the San Diego caching community has a huge heart, how about we each spare 10 minutes and 41 cents and let John know we are thinking of him. The link above has the address in which you may write to him. John reports that he still has about a month to go and he misses us San Diego folks. He also says he is practicing his night time nano finding skills by searching for spent shell casings in tall grass at O'dark 30. Them Rangers know how to have fun! :P

I got a letter, I got a letter.

Hey everyone, do you remember Halftrack Guy? We all had a big bash to send him off properly to be an Army Ranger.

Halftrack guy event cache

Well seems as though if you write to him, he writes back (well...he wrote back to me). A real deal, hand written on paper, letter, sent via the USPS (United States Postal Service for you acronynm challenged types). :D

Anyhow, seems as though John (halftrack guy) hasn't had much mail. So....if any of you took the postcard from the event and haven't sent it to him yet, well, it is time to send it to him. If you didn't get one of the post cards from the event, how about sending him a note anyways? I know the San Diego caching community has a huge heart, how about we each spare 10 minutes and 41 cents and let John know we are thinking of him. The link above has the address in which you may write to him. John reports that he still has about a month to go and he misses us San Diego folks. He also says he is practicing his night time nano finding skills by searching for spent shell casings in tall grass at O'dark 30. Them Rangers know how to have fun! :P

Thank you so much, devhead, for writing to him and for encouraging others to do the same. I can't tell you how much that means to me. Well, ok ... I'll try. (Achem) THAT MEANT SOOO MUCH TO ME!!!

Barrie

boysnbarrie