The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I've been busted

Just got this in my E-mail.

Skillet,

The Ocotillo Wells SVRA adopted guidelines for GeoCaching at the beginning of the year. Ocotillo Wells SVRA is an advocate of responsible outdoor recreation and has set the standard for California State Parks by embracing the activities of GeoCaching, Leter Boxing, and similar. As part of the guidelines that were adopted, a maximum size of Cache containers was decided to be 8" x 12" x 4". Recently, staff checked on one of your placements east of Pole Line Road called 'The Big One' and found that the container was in excess of the maximum size allowed. If you could please replace the container within a reasonable amount of time. Thank you again for your cooperation and please remember that Ocotillo Wells SVRA is an advocate of GeoCaching. I would be happy to forward you a copy of the guidlines that OWSVRA has adopted.

Andrew S. Ahlberg

California State Ranger

Ocotillo Wells SVRA

It's nice they have guide lines and I'll have him forward them to me.

now why can't ABDSP be this nice.

:laughing: 8x12x4? Is that smaller than an ammo can? I don't have one to measure....I have a cracked plastic out there I need to replace..

It's a the size of a small ammo can.

Thanks Pat...I'll have to have John start amassing them....

I've been busted

Skillet,

The Ocotillo Wells SVRA adopted guidelines for GeoCaching at the beginning of the year. Ocotillo Wells SVRA is an advocate of responsible outdoor recreation and has set the standard for California State Parks by embracing the activities of GeoCaching, Leter Boxing, and similar. As part of the guidelines that were adopted, a maximum size of Cache containers was decided to be 8" x 12" x 4". Recently, staff checked on one of your placements east of Pole Line Road called 'The Big One' and found that the container was in excess of the maximum size allowed. If you could please replace the container within a reasonable amount of time. Thank you again for your cooperation and please remember that Ocotillo Wells SVRA is an advocate of GeoCaching. I would be happy to forward you a copy of the guidlines that OWSVRA has adopted.

Andrew S. Ahlberg

California State Ranger

Ocotillo Wells SVRA

That's great to hear Skillet. Have you considered moving our two mile stretch of CITO highway from ABDSP to Ocotillo Wells?

That is exactly what I was thinking! I'd actually be willing to come back and pick up trash again if you can get it moved. What better way to reward OWSVRA for being caching friendly?
I've been busted

Skillet,

Andrew S. Ahlberg

California State Ranger

Ocotillo Wells SVRA

:unsure: 8x12x4? Is that smaller than an ammo can? I don't have one to measure....I have a cracked plastic out there I need to replace..

It's a the size of a small ammo can.

Thanks Pat...I'll have to have John start amassing them....

Tell John I could use a few hundered, will ya? - Thanks

Must be a little of that Appalachian inbreeding... This is my brother Tom, and my other brother Tom...

:huh:

Aren't the three guys on the right, Darryl and Darryl and Darryl, cousins of yours too? :(

newhart2.jpg

Psst, it was Larry, his brother Darryl and his other brother Darryl.

Edited by Moose Mob

Must be a little of that Appalachian inbreeding... This is my brother Tom, and my other brother Tom...

:huh:

Aren't the three guys on the right, Darryl and Darryl and Darryl, cousins of yours too? :(

newhart2.jpg

Psst, it was Larry, his brother Darryl and his other brother Darryl.

I guess my CRS is kicking in again. Sorry for calling your cousin by the wrong name Tom... :D Edited by TrailGators

I got a new hide out on Monday and have about 50 cachers that have looked at it and there is still no FTF.

It's not a S.C.U.M. AKA Santee Camo Urban Micro.

GC1FW8D.

Just wondering why? B)B)

Also HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM (AKA KWER) B)B)B)

I would have been out there by now, but I got busy for 2 weeks or so and didn't do much caching and when I got back at it I found that my "cleared out" 12-mile radius now had 120 caches in it!!! :laughing: Man, can't a guy take a break once in a while?!? Anyhoo, this is one of the 120 (now down to about 60) that I'll be working on soon...

I got a new hide out on Monday and have about 50 cachers that have looked at it and there is still no FTF.

GC1FW8D.

Just wondering why? B)B)

I would have been out there by now, but I got busy for 2 weeks or so and didn't do much caching and when I got back at it I found that my "cleared out" 12-mile radius now had 120 caches in it!!! B) Man, can't a guy take a break once in a while?!? Anyhoo, this is one of the 120 (now down to about 60) that I'll be working on soon...

That's what's nice about this game it will be there waiting for you. B):laughing:B)

GC1FW8D.

Just wondering why? B)B)

I would have been out there by now, but I got busy for 2 weeks or so and didn't do much caching and when I got back at it I found that my "cleared out" 12-mile radius now had 120 caches in it!!! B) Man, can't a guy take a break once in a while?!? Anyhoo, this is one of the 120 (now down to about 60) that I'll be working on soon...

That's what's nice about this game it will be there waiting for you. B):laughing:B)

C'mon Santee people! Do I have to come down there? Don't make me stop this car!

GC1FW8D.

Just wondering why? B)B)

Unless someopne muggles it, of course...then it won't be there waiting for you...

GC1FW8D.

Just wondering why? :laughing:B)

It was 96 degrees and I had on black pants..thats' my excuse......

O please, the rule in the redneck tri-city area is that if Chuy!

hasn't scored his FTF then we can't touch it until he does.

GC1FW8D.

Just wondering why? :laughing:B)

Thats a lie i made sure i beat chuy,

every time i could!

GC1FW8D.

Just wondering why? :lol::(

Also HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM (AKA KWER) :P:):)

every time i could!

Is that the "real" reason you had to leave the state? ;)

GC1FW8D.

Just wondering why? :lol::(

Also HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM (AKA KWER) ;):):)

every time i could!

Is that the "real" reason you had to leave the state? :P

LOL, No

But The summer is coming and you know college students in the summer

They are FTF Hounds

0002017B.gif0002017B.gif0002017B.gif0002017B.gif0002017B.gif0002017B.gif

Happy Birthday to Mr. Jim KWVERS! I hope he's having a great Birthday celebrating with his mom! I think he's 45...or 54? he doesn't look either.

Happy Birthday Jimmy!!!

Thanks so much...54 years old now! I can retire now from UPS...yippee! Who knows when? We like to play alot now and there is this gas price thing going on etc...Mom is enjoying watching us geocache. When we are about to quit she iinsists that we find just one more. She is wearing us out. We are leaving town for about 6 weeks to go on our annual road trip Saturday morning. stay tuned!

I just used Garmin's webupdater to check my GPS's. I'm pretty good about regularly looking for updates, but I found updates for my Oregon, my Nuvi, and my 60CSx. Only the Colorado was up-to-date.

When was the last time YOU checked?

I check more or less monthly. Hasn't been an update for the 60CSx for quite

some time. As far as I'm concerned the 60CSx doesn't need changes except

it would be nice if they adopted the Magellan feature where you can store and

access multiple waypoint loads as named files on the expansion memory card.

Also I recently checked and found an update for Garmin MapSource City Navi-

gator North America. The new version is 6.14.1, and it changes the look and

performance of MapSource quite a bit. Of course this update picked up some

newborn streets and points of interest. A downside of this update is that map

zooming and dragging is notably slower.

One thing I truly appreciate about MapSource is the "View/View in Google Earth"

Menu feature. With the "Street View" Layers option checked I've been able to

spot hidey holes before leaving the house. Sure makes it nice to have a visual

look at a hide before heading out, especially on remote trails. It amazes me to

see how many streets and even dirt roads have been photographed worldwide

with 360-degree and still cameras. My Google Earth Plus membership sure is

worth the twenty-dollar membership.

Here's an example of Google Earth Street View ...

8d765340-8ff3-4dcf-a3a8-6d5b75e0aaa8.jpg

This is the view I got from Google Earth Plus Street View before heading for

Lakeside to score the cache "Pump Up the Volume," you know, minus the

pointy-fanger and text banner. I knew where to park and what the container

would be placed in before leaving my house.

Life is good,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Edited by SD Rowdies

I just used Garmin's webupdater to check my GPS's. I'm pretty good about regularly looking for updates, but I found updates for my Oregon, my Nuvi, and my 60CSx. Only the Colorado was up-to-date.

newborn streets and points of interest. A downside effect of this update is that

map zooming and panning is notably slower.

with 360-degree and still cameras. My Google Earth membership sure is worth

the twenty-dollar membership.

Life is good,

Harmon

I was really excited to see the update, as I hoped it would include some of the newer streets. When I installed it the icons are HUGE on my maps, and I lost the labels. I could get these by scrolling over the icons, but as I don't carry my laptop in the field, it's not very useful. :unsure: I couldn't find a way around it, so I ended up uninstalling everything, and putting the original maps back in. Somehow in the process I've lost the "Show in Google Earth" capability, which was always really helpful for viewing my day's caching plan, especially when I'm going on trails.

I'm not that computer savvy, so if you have any suggestions I'd be really grateful!

Linda/The Lost Clan

newborn streets and points of interest. A downside effect of this update is that

Life is good,

Harmon

I was really excited to see the update, as I hoped it would include some of the newer streets. When I installed it the icons are HUGE on my maps, and I lost the labels. I could get these by scrolling over the icons, but as I don't carry my laptop in the field, it's not very useful. :unsure: I couldn't find a way around it, so I ended up uninstalling everything, and putting the original maps back in. Somehow in the process I've lost the "Show in Google Earth" capability, which was always really helpful for viewing my day's caching plan, especially when I'm going on trails.

I'm not that computer savvy, so if you have any suggestions I'd be really grateful!

Linda/The Lost Clan

Hmm, no similar problems with my installation. Maybe check "Edit/Preferences"

or "View/Map Detail" settings.

With regard to "Labels" I assume you are referring the waypoint names. There's

a setting on the "Edit/Preferences" Waypoint Tab called "Limit application created

names to [ ] characters," maybe yours is set to zero-characters.

What's the screen resolution of your computer monitor by the way?

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

I've also noticed the slow scrolling in MapSource since the update. I thought I was imagining it. I haven't noticed any of the other problems though.

I normally plot out cache runs using MapSource, with Topo US 2008 when necessary. I view in Google Earth when I need information about trails or parking, much as you do, Harmon. I do like the way that your waypoints don't "move around" in Google Earth like the cache icons that you get with the kml file. The cache is actually located where the wp says it is.

Edited by Snake & Rooster

Life is good,

Harmon

Linda/The Lost Clan

Hmm, no similar problems with my installation. Maybe check "Edit/Preferences"

or "View/Map Detail" settings.

With regard to "Labels" I assume you are referring the waypoint names. There's

a setting on the "Edit/Preferences" Waypoint Tab called "Limit application created

names to [ ] characters," maybe yours is set to zero-characters.

What's the screen resolution of your computer monitor by the way?

Harmon

I'm pretty sure I tried all that before - characters were set to 15 and Display was set to "Symbol and Name." When I export to MapSource I change the settings to %drop2 %cont%ter so I get as much info as possible on my maps. (All these paperless cachers are no doubt cringing at the idea of printing out maps, but I just can't give those up yet!)

I have View/Map Detail set at its highest, but I have the services off to avoid clutter.

My resolution is at the highest setting (1280 x 800). Is that important?

Linda

I was really excited to see the update, as I hoped it would include some of the newer streets.
You'll need new map software if you want to see new streets.

Yeah - that's what I should have done in the first place! ;)

Some new streets are beginning to show up on Google Earth now, at least.

You'd be surprised how long you can use older maps. :unsure:^_^ It's part of the challenge! :P
Does any one know how to delete way points from a Nuvi.

I have about 300 loaded into it and I want to change them.

So far I've figured out how to delete them one at a time, but that takes forever. There most be a way to delete them quicker ???? 000201DD.gif 000201F9.gif

Have you tried shaking it?

be62abf6-665c-4b3a-ac18-abab5d95909b.jpg

I just tried that and it didn't work 00020200.gif answer

So far I've figured out how to delete them one at a time, but that takes forever. There most be a way to delete them quicker ???? 000201DD.gif 000201F9.gif

"Where to?"

"My locations"

"Delete all"

This will delete all POIs that you've entered, and all waypoints.

"Where to?"

"My locations"

"Delete all"

Did "Where to" but don't have anything listed as "my locations"

Have Favorites, Recently found, Addresses, Points of Interest,Intersections,Cities,Browse Maps and Coordinates. No "my Locations" This is a Nuvi 200 Series.

Thanks anyway.

You gotta do a hard reset. While powering up, press and hold lower right corner of the screen. Select "yes" to clearing user data. (See page 9 of your manual). You'll lose personalized settings but it beats deleting waypoints one at a time.

You gotta do a hard reset. While powering up, press and hold lower right corner of the screen. Select "yes" to clearing user data. (See page 9 of your manual). You'll lose personalized settings but it beats deleting waypoints one at a time.

000201F9.gif Yep it is easier to just redo the personalized settings then doing them one at a time.

"Where to?"

"My locations"

"Delete all"

Did "Where to" but don't have anything listed as "my locations"

Have Favorites, Recently found, Addresses, Points of Interest,Intersections,Cities,Browse Maps and Coordinates. No "my Locations" This is a Nuvi 200 Series.

Thanks anyway.

My 360 must have a slightly different interface. I have a "My Locations" that contains any custom POIs, and geocaches that I've entered, as well as Favorites, Recent Selections and Go Home. I didn't realize that different series had different menus.

Those of you who have been chasing dtn9129's recent caches, have become familiar with an area that the mountain bike community refers to as "Tunnels". If so, you might be interested in the following:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=450300

If you don't know already, there are a network of trails in San Diego that have nearly been "loved to death" after the canyons were "reclaimed" from itinerant workers displaced by La Migra raids. With Lake Hodges and Martha's Grove ravaged by fires, the trails community has been enjoying these private property "permission" trails in increasing volume and, if you've been there or read on this site, you probably either know or love them. Now, the parcels are part of a package to become part of the City Open Space system and are subject to a Draft Resource Management Plan that doesn't provide for any of them: by implication this means the trails would instantly become illegal, as confirmed by the Deputy Director of Open Space, if this plan were to be adopted as is.

After yeoman's work by Rob Mikuteit to document, record and map all the trails within the Del Mar Mesa RMP area, the Multiuse Trails Coalition and SDMBA have a draft trails plan concept prepared for the entire area to be discussed at the September 18th CAC meeting set for 6:00pm (not 7) at the Canyonside Rec Center (not the ranch house).

It will be prepared for public consumption ASAP. The important thing to know is that the battle for trails access in these areas unfortunately starts from the basis set by the author(s) of the draft RMP: NO TRAILS OTHER THAN THE UTILITY ROAD. The opposite extreme is "any and all trails that are there now".

The position of the involved trail-access advocates is that neither extreme is appropriate, responsible or acceptable. So, we have endeavored to draw up a trails plan that provides loops, access and -- where possible-- Full Multiuse Access for all non-motorized trail users.

This plan will also call for the eradication/closure of many trails in the Deer Canyon area. Some of these trails are obviously junk, others are "wonderful", but all are what the opponents of trail access will argue should be closed (ie part of "all"). You might be surprised to see how many trails are actually in there, right now! When you do, it will be obvious that it's "more than enough".

Please schedule your attendance at the CAC meeting into your calendar, now. Our goal will be to voice our overwhelming community support for an engineered trails system for runners, cyclists and equestrians that will be sustainable, useful and enable San Diegans to access the habitat and environmental amenities that we pay for with our tax dollars. It's not about "recreation" but rather "public access to open space". Please reach out to your neighbors, co-workeers and more: let them know you'll be coming to them with a request that they FAX and Phone local leaders and City staff in support of trails access for our kids, families and future. This applies to equestrians, trail runners, hikers and bikes, equally: we all like and enjoy trails!

Go time is coming as fast as we can get there.

Just came home along the fifty-two and saw the fire there. Started along the freeway ... maybe under Shepherd Canyon Bridge. Rapidly spreading north and spreading eastward toward Spring Canyon Bridge. Advancing up the ridge toward Ithmuth and Just Whithtle Geocaches. Good chance that the hide under Shepherd Canyon Bridge is roasted. Lots of response ... Sheriff, Police, and fire all along the freeway.

Get some new containers ready, there might be some new openings north of the fifty-two.

Edited by SD Rowdies