The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I am willing to beta test the Oregon for you all and report back what I find. I will ask your assistance. Everyone reading this forum, please send me $20 in cash, money order, or personal check. Once I have the required funds, I will immediately purchase the GPS and begin my testing. In return for your help, I will post at least weekly updates on the good, the bad, and the ugly for the Oregon.

The advantages to each of you is obvious. You do not have to shell out the big bucks for something that may not be worth it. Let me do the testing for a lousy $20.

I know, I know. Please don't thank me. It is the least I can do for my friends.

I am willing to beta test the Oregon for you all and report back what I find. I will ask your assistance. Everyone reading this forum, please send me $20 in cash, money order, or personal check. Once I have the required funds, I will immediately purchase the GPS and begin my testing. In return for your help, I will post at least weekly updates on the good, the bad, and the ugly for the Oregon.

The advantages to each of you is obvious. You do not have to shell out the big bucks for something that may not be worth it. Let me do the testing for a lousy $20.

Such a gracious offer, there will be a little place in Heaven for you one day.

Check's in th' mail of course.

Hope it doesn't take too long for the cheapskate-crowd to chip in.

Such a gracious offer, there will be a little place in Heaven for you one day.

Check's in th' mail of course.

Hope it doesn't take too long for the cheapskate-crowd to chip in.

If this was a good cause AND I got one of those nifty bumper stickers showing everyone that I donated to the cause, I might do it. Hmmm, I wonder what that bumper sticker would look like.... :unsure::ph34r:

Cache re-adoption anyone?

Hi all. I'm involved less and less in caching and the number of my active caches keeps diminishing. A few years back when Yrium passes, I adopted 'Number One Son" GCEA6. I'm feeling guilty because I barely check my own caches, let alone one that I adopted.

Would anyone like to re-adopt it from me? Whoever does needs to be an active hiker and should probably be the unofficial guardian of 'Old Glory' GCC8A since it's never been transfered from the old owner.

I'll check back in the forums but feel free to shoot me an email.

Dan-oh

Cache re-adoption anyone?

Hi all. I'm involved less and less in caching and the number of my active caches keeps diminishing. A few years back when Yrium passes, I adopted 'Number One Son" GCEA6. I'm feeling guilty because I barely check my own caches, let alone one that I adopted.

Would anyone like to re-adopt it from me? Whoever does needs to be an active hiker and should probably be the unofficial guardian of 'Old Glory' GCC8A since it's never been transfered from the old owner.

I'll check back in the forums but feel free to shoot me an email.

Dan-oh

E-mail sent!

Check out this cache ~ GC1E50A ~ visualize a couple hundred foot drop off right behind the Jeep..........straight down! The pictures don't really do it justice, but Tom really does owe that bush big time!

We were working on this cache ~ GC1DZFW ~ We did have quite the adventure!

The Splashes :unsure::ph34r:

Check out this cache ~ GC1E50A ~ visualize a couple hundred foot drop off right behind the Jeep..........straight down! The pictures don't really do it justice, but Tom really does owe that bush big time!

Yeah, It's been a long time since I almost killed myself...

The Splashes :blink::(

What about your PDA, did you break it too?

... and did y' learn anything?

The Splashes :blink::(

:( I'm glad to hear that everyone was OK!

If anyone wanted a Geowoodstock coin and didn't buy one they are still on sale. I'll post the info later about how to order them $10 plus $2 shipping.. Great FTF prizes....

Here' s the info for the coins. They'll be on some website soon, but for now here's the info. It helps them recoup all the costs associated with the event.

They are $10 a piece and $2 shipping for 1-2. You can paypal at

> redhawk2853@msn.com

Edited by jahoadi and john

Anyone noticed the Eucalyptus forest near UCSD is looking a little dry? Dead trees everywhere. This is the home to many wonderful geocaches, I hope it survives.

Yea... That was my bad. (true story) I had a bunch of mexican food the night before grabbing a cache there and had to make an emergancy pit stop in the forest...

Anyone noticed the Eucalyptus forest near UCSD is looking a little dry? Dead trees everywhere. This is the home to many wonderful geocaches, I hope it survives.

Yea... That was my bad. (true story) I had a bunch of mexican food the night before grabbing a cache there and had to make an emergancy pit stop in the forest...

TMI :unsure:

TMI :huh:

Too much indigestion? :lol:

The Splashes :lol::huh:

Hey FlagMan!

Just in case you ever decide to do that again, here's a new Jeep accessory that might be useful!

d14688fc-1c4e-45aa-8b3e-0bf66b4ac39f.jpg

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

The Splashes :lol::huh:

Hey FlagMan!

Just in case you ever decide to do that again, here's a new Jeep accessory that might be useful!

d14688fc-1c4e-45aa-8b3e-0bf66b4ac39f.jpg

Heh, I was lucky enough to almost kill one Geobabe, now you want me to kill 4?!?

:lol: I tried to find the answer in the general forums, but couldn't so I'm gonna ask the locals....has anyone had problems with their My Finds query? The last 2 or 3 times it comes through as a corrupt zip file so I can't use it. :huh:

The one I grabbed last night was fine...

I just downloaded one now and the zip uploaded to the site without any hitches....

:huh: I tried to find the answer in the general forums, but couldn't so I'm gonna ask the locals....has anyone had problems with their My Finds query? The last 2 or 3 times it comes through as a corrupt zip file so I can't use it. :huh:

I've had that problem a couple of times, so I tried to update my stats just a moment ago ... I couldn't get mine to work either. I'm not sure why it happens to me from time to time, most of the time it's not a problem at all.

:lol: boysnbarrie

While on vacation my garmin vista x lost all its topo maps that I had downloaded. All that was left is the inaccrate base map. When I got home I removed the genuine garmin memory chip that cost about $120 and installed the chip I got at Target. I think it cost $19 for a 1GB camara chip. The garmin chip is 256M at $120. It works perfect and has a life time warntee. That means it will work until it breaks just like the garmin chip did.

While on vacation my garmin vista x lost all its topo maps that I had downloaded. All that was left is the inaccrate base map. When I got home I removed the genuine garmin memory chip that cost about $120 and installed the chip I got at Target. I think it cost $19 for a 1GB camara chip. The garmin chip is 256M at $120. It works perfect and has a life time warntee. That means it will work until it breaks just like the garmin chip did.

:laughing::laughing: Geocaching.Com has a new look. I went to my account and it looks cool. Has my Avatar and says Hello Team Fatman. :laughing::unsure:

I saw the same thing after the site came back online.

Here is what they changed today.

The terrain maps are very cool!

9b112d7e-5f74-4d32-9eb9-612b537eb1d8.jpg

So far I like the changes I've seen. I especially like the new maps.

Say, I hadn't noticed the new cache containers on the geocaching.com website before today:

http://shop.Groundspeak.com/productList.cfm?categoryID=13

They look pretty good, except I think I still prefer to put cammo tape on my lock 'n' locks and match containers. I guess that's not as "safe" since people can't see inside them. But I'd rather not have random people find them in the first place. Has anyone found an effective plastic paint instead of cammo tape?

By the way, a couple people have asked me about the cammo tape I use. I ordered a box of cammo tape a while back from this source and I've been extremely happy with how it looks:

http://www.identi-tape.com/camo.htm

I mostly use the "desert" color, of course. I'm still not convinced the tape holds up to the elements long-term, though.

Since I am on the subject of containers, I never put ammo boxes out without painting over the ammo labels, and then I sometimes put a "geocaching.com" sticker on the outside. I partially paint them with a textured brown metal spray paint like this one:

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=31

The combination of green and brown makes them blend in pretty well under lemonadeberry trees, for example.

:D:D Geocaching.Com has a new look. I went to my account and it looks cool. Has my Avatar and says Hello Team Fatman. :D:D

I saw the same thing after the site came back online.

Here is what they changed today.

The terrain maps are very cool!

9b112d7e-5f74-4d32-9eb9-612b537eb1d8.jpg

Pat, You need to get busy! (this is John :D )
John, I'm a slacker compared to you, but I am going up for the Big Bear Bash to bag some of those and some of these.

My smiley faces from past years are almost all covered up with new treasure chests.... :D

ab3ea436-e208-4ea2-a1ae-a4f1cb057882.jpg

What is the GC number for the Big Bear bash? Is it on labor day weekend? You aren't a slacker!

Hi John,

Here are the events for Big Bear.

Pizza in Da Woods gc1dm75

Big Bear Cache Bash IV gc1b51a

Event Cache gc1c9zp

I wanted to go and take my truck and play in the mountains with the jeeps but I will be in Sacramento at a turkey board meeting so maybe next year.

John

I wanted to be there with my new 4x4 but there is no way I can be ready in time. (just found out the date) I am working every night on it, but there is too much to do yet.

Steve

>Hi John,

>

>Here are the events for Big Bear.

>Pizza in Da Woods gc1dm75

>

>Big Bear Cache Bash IV gc1b51a

>Event Cache gc1c9zp

>I wanted to go and take my truck and play in the mountains with the jeeps but I will be in Sacramento at a >turkey board meeting so maybe next year.

>John

What is the GC number for the Big Bear bash? Is it on labor day weekend? You aren't a slacker!

Hi John,

Here are the events for Big Bear.

Pizza in Da Woods gc1dm75

Big Bear Cache Bash IV gc1b51a

Event Cache gc1c9zp

I wanted to go and take my truck and play in the mountains with the jeeps but I will be in Sacramento at a turkey board meeting so maybe next year.

John

Got it, thanks John. I thought this event was closer to me in Fallon, but it isn't. I won't be able to join you Pat, sorry. :laughing:

I wanted to be there with my new 4x4 but there is no way I can be ready in time. (just found out the date) I am working every night on it, but there is too much to do yet.

Steve

OK what's the new 4x4., a 4x4 Van isn't good enough any more?

000201DD.gif

I hope it's not a Toyota. 000201EA.gif