The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Whoooo Hoo!! :D:laughing: Look who got on the Home Page:

6c2f5300-e739-4b3f-95c8-c1d898b930a5.jpg

What is that, Three Sisters Waterfall? Or Snake River? Grand Canyon? Sure looks refreshing... :D

Congrats FM and RM !

Maybe someday.... :sunsure:

Wanna see my picture on the cover

Geocaching homepage

Wanna buy five copies for my mother

Geocaching homepage

Wanna see my smilin' face

On the cover of the Geocaching homepage :rolleyes:

It appears we have a new cache police. Account was created today - no finds, yet.

He stung Toby's Gang.

He stung me on three; this is one of them.

Sure, we deserved it, but common; why hide behind a new profile?

Yeah, I noticed some other caches that received similar treatment that were on my Favorites List. His profile page says:

I am the surprise in your cereal box

I am the smoke that smokes smoked oysters

I am the grade curves that gives you an "F"

I am the fast food that comes back to haunt you

I am the cholesterol that clogs your arteries

I am the hero that every culture in every world needs

I am the wrong number that wakes you at 3 am

I am the batteries that aren't included

I am the widget missing from the easy to assemble swingset

I am the zit that forms when you got a really big date

I am the repairman who tells you your warranty has run out

I am the weirdo that sits next to you on the bus

I am the single career man all women want to date

I am the terror that flaps in the night

I am...

...a sock puppet?

That target list was put together after my post. I had seen the bookmark when it was empty.

I rated his bookmark as "not useful".

I don't know if my comments can be viewed by cachers other than he/she.

This is what I put,

"This list is not necessary.

You should just put a "Needs Archived" log and go on with your life.

Surely, there are better things to do with your time?

If not, I encourage you to look up a well deserving charity to donate your time; they will appreciate your time and effort much more than the cachers you are calling out."

That target list was put together after my post. I had seen the bookmark when it was empty.

I rated his bookmark as "not useful".

I don't know if my comments can be viewed by cachers other than he/she.

This is what I put,

"This list is not necessary.

You should just put a "Needs Archived" log and go on with your life.

Surely, there are better things to do with your time?

If not, I encourage you to look up a well deserving charity to donate your time; they will appreciate your time and effort much more than the cachers you are calling out."

It might be useful - if you could replicate it with a PQ, then you might see who's at the center! :laughing:

It appears we have a new cache police. Account was created today - no finds, yet.

He stung Toby's Gang.

Just so you know, when a "Needs Archived" log is posted, a copy is sent to my account which triggers me to look at the cache page. If it appears that a cache has needs some action, I will do one of two things: if the cache is active but has a number of DNF's going back more than a month or so without any posts from the cache owner, I will disable the cache with a note requesting maintenance from the cache owner. If the cache has been disabled by the cache owner but no further action has been taken for several months, I will post my own Needs Archived note requesting cache maintenance. Under either scenario, I will put the cache in my own bookmark list with a tickler system to check back in 4-weeks. So long as the cache owner responds with a reasonable plan for cache maintenance, the cache will not be archived. But if the cache owner fails to respond at all within that 4-week period, the cache will be archived with a note saying that if maintenance is later performed, and if the cache meets the Guidelines, it will be unarchived.

The process is very forgiving...

Probably not a sock puppet, since he has a premium membership. Maybe someone who has too much time on his hands? Certainly his SBA logs should not cause anyone to archive their cache. Just go check on it. A lot of those on his list are in areas burned, and owners are probably waiting for the area to recover.

Hmm, aren't the quotes of Darkwing Duck on his profile page a violation of copyrights?

<edited for spelling, duh>

Edited by Snake & Rooster

He stung Toby's Gang.

Just so you know, when a "Needs Archived" log is posted, a copy is sent to my account which triggers me to look at the cache page. If it appears that a cache has needs some action, I will do one of two things: if the cache is active but has a number of DNF's going back more than a month or so without any posts from the cache owner, I will disable the cache with a note requesting maintenance from the cache owner. If the cache has been disabled by the cache owner but no further action has been taken for several months, I will post my own Needs Archived note requesting cache maintenance. Under either scenario, I will put the cache in my own bookmark list with a tickler system to check back in 4-weeks. So long as the cache owner responds with a reasonable plan for cache maintenance, the cache will not be archived. But if the cache owner fails to respond at all within that 4-week period, the cache will be archived with a note saying that if maintenance is later performed, and if the cache meets the Guidelines, it will be unarchived.

The process is very forgiving...

We know you ARE the cache police :) , and we are very familiar with the archive procedures.

I'm picking on the little knark. And not so much that he is a knark but how he/she goes about it.

Edit comments: I misspelled nark; knark is a failure in life. The misspelling was purely coincidental. :laughing:

Edited by Chuy!

I got two SBA emails too. As many know I was out of commission since last August after blowing out my knee and having surgery in late November. So I could never get down to Treasure Tree #6, which was stolen. I got the SBA email, so I archived it. It's just not worth the hassle. Then I got an SBA email for Aftermath in SDRP. SDRP has been closed since the Witch Creek fire, so all those caches were all disabled by the cache owners to comply with the park's closing. I just re-enabled Aftermath because SDRP was just recently re-opened. I've heard that that section of the park is pretty much OK, so I'm fairly confident that Aftermath is OK. I just checked on the my Clevenger Canyon caches this weekend and they are OK! Someone already emailed me and said they were hiking out to check on the Boden caches and that they would check on Aftermath for me. That was really nice of them and I really appreciate it! :laughing:

As far as disabled caches, I filter out disabled caches from my PQs, so they never show up. So disabled caches don't bother me one bit. I really don't understand why they bother some people so much. If someone had wanted to hide a cache where Treasure Tree #6 was located, they could have emailed me and I gladly would've archived it to make room. However, nobody ever did that and now a cache with 105 finds and almost 4 years of fun is gone. I understand the "rules" but sometimes we need to have a little understanding especially when there is no harm being done. Finally, I don't agree with SBAs unless the owner is long gone. IMHO, a friendly email is a much better first approach to this kind of issue. :)

Edited by TrailGators
Probably not a sock puppet, since he has a premium membership. Maybe someone who has too much time on his hands? Certainly his SBA logs should not cause anyone to archive their cache. Just go check on it. A lot of those on his list are in areas burned, and owners are probably waiting for the area to recover.

Hmm, aren't the quotes of Darkwing Duck on his profile page a violation of copyrights?

<edited for spelling, duh>

The one I got dinged on was in the burn area also. They reopened Cleveland National Forest again and I was riding out there a couple weekends ago checking on my MTB caches. Every one of them was gone or burnt to a crisp. One was even shot! I was also planning to check the particular cache in question but the road was still closed for repairs so I passed it by.

A lot of the area around Ramona looks like the fire just happened and it's going to take quite some time to recover. It also makes for some long hot rides with no shade. As I said, the entire MTB series is gone and I have no plans right now to replace any of them because in many places the trail is washed out and impassable. The damage by this fire was complete and it may be hard to check on some of those caches for a while.

After I got the SBA I drove out there today and it was surrounded by construction equipment and material. The cache itself was like the rest, burnt.

My Southerland Dam cache was in the same general area as MTB and while I had planned on checking on it, the SBA notice just made me check it sooner rather then later. I know, 8 months is already more later then sooner.

So no big deal really, this person just made me do something I should have done anyway.

I'm actually a big believer in logging "needs archived" on caches that look like they are gone and it looks like the owner isn't going to get around to doing anything about them, expecially when there are a bunch of DNFs and the owner hasn't disabled it. I also do it just to get the reviewers attention on something. Or as a kick in the pants to the owner to replace it because I want to go do it when its replaced. But I do it under my own name, on a pretty random basis, and without the histrionics.

This Kent Allard guy is doing way too much of it in an amazingly annoying way. Oh well, I'm sure or or she means well.

June 15 by <A style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline" name=46606812>Kent_Allard (0 found)

Who is Kent Allard? only the shadow knows....

Believe me, the archive request is nothing personal, which is exactly why I decided to do this with this new account. I'm not after 'this cache'. Tonight I requested archive on 80 caches that were disabled in 2007. Some of the owners havent been reachable for a while, and a reviewer has already taken action. On a few others, they have been immidiately, and miraculously enabled. Still others like this one are going to be checked on soon.

I'm not out to kill caches. I'm out to remind people about caches that seem forgotten... If the maint is done, and the caches enabled, then there will be more caches for us all, and if some of them move on to the big hunt in the sky, well, then I hope other caches are placed in their honor. Why will I be requesting so many archives? Because I love to go geocaching!

This is from one of Parsa's Caches Not a light skit in sight in response to Night Hunters question of who is Kent-Allard. 000201DD.gif

June 15 by <A style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline" name=46606812>Kent_Allard (0 found)

Believe me, the archive request is nothing personal, which is exactly why I decided to do this with this new account. I'm not after 'this cache'. Tonight I requested archive on 80 caches that were disabled in 2007. Some of the owners havent been reachable for a while, and a reviewer has already taken action. On a few others, they have been immidiately, and miraculously enabled. Still others like this one are going to be checked on soon.

I'm not out to kill caches. I'm out to remind people about caches that seem forgotten... If the maint is done, and the caches enabled, then there will be more caches for us all, and if some of them move on to the big hunt in the sky, well, then I hope other caches are placed in their honor. Why will I be requesting so many archives? Because I love to go geocaching!

This is from one of Parsa's Caches Not a light skit in sight in response to Night Hunters question of who is Kent-Allard. 000201DD.gif

I'm wondering exactly how this will be done: "I will have to check on Dangling Balls." :(

I'm wondering exactly how this will be done: "I will have to check on Dangling Balls." :(

I totally understand the purpose. Maybe if the logs didn't seem so blunt they wouldn't be taken the wrong way; like I did. I felt a little like I was being picked on.

...as long as you're a good duck and not an evil duck...

Edited by Toby's Gang
I'm actually a big believer in logging "needs archived" on caches that look like they are gone and it looks like the owner isn't going to get around to doing anything about them, expecially when there are a bunch of DNFs and the owner hasn't disabled it. I also do it just to get the reviewers attention on something. Or as a kick in the pants to the owner to replace it because I want to go do it when its replaced. But I do it under my own name, on a pretty random basis, and without the histrionics.

This Kent Allard guy is doing way too much of it in an amazingly annoying way. Oh well, I'm sure or or she means well.

He's almost like you with your wise a** remarks about other peoples caches. IE #25.

Plus I also got a e-mail from him about #48, seems they are done with the construction were I had the hide so will try again this weekend to replace.

Edited by Team Fatman

Backpack update:

Been slowed down by some design mods along the way and am now working through some embroidery probs. The good news is that I’ve got some cool collectibles and other fun swag ready to load into the three backpacks and will hide them for a couple of GC'ers to find soon!

polarrs3.jpg

PolarBear model custom made for the PolarBear family.

treaspw5.jpg

Treasure Hunter model comes with adjustable straps, internal pencil/pen holders with two elasticized side pockets and a large front pocket with Velcro closure. There is a pull string closure with a button flap for ease.

snakemq2.jpg

Snake! was sewn to Simplicity specs with a separating zipper that allows the pack to be worn as a backpack or off the shoulder. It has two elasticized pockets for water bottles and a large front pocket with Velcro closure. There is also a pencil holder inside.

Special care has also been taken to match overall patterning on all models and the 100% cotton fabric has been washed and preshrunk.

June 15 by Kent_Allard (0 found)

...Believe me, the archive request is nothing personal, which is exactly why I decided to do this with this new account...

Hiding behind a duck does not support this premise.

On the other hand, he/she did offer to fix a disabled cache for a cacher. If we ask, maybe he/she will fix our caches as well. :D

Backpack update:

Been slowed down by some design mods along the way and am now working through some embroidery probs. The good news is that I've got some cool collectibles and other fun swag ready to load into the three backpacks and will hide them for a couple of GC'ers to find soon!

snakemq2.jpg

Snake! was sewn to Simplicity specs with a separating zipper that allows the pack to be worn as a backpack or off the shoulder. It has two elasticized pockets for water bottles and a large front pocket with Velcro closure. There is also a pencil holder inside.

Special care has also been taken to match overall patterning on all models and the 100% cotton fabric has been washed and preshrunk.

Ooooh, ooooh, I want one of those! As long as none of my kin were used in the making of that pack :D
Backpack update:

Been slowed down by some design mods along the way and am now working through some embroidery probs. The good news is that I've got some cool collectibles and other fun swag ready to load into the three backpacks and will hide them for a couple of GC'ers to find soon!

snakemq2.jpg

Ooooh, ooooh, I want one of those! As long as none of my kin were used in the making of that pack :D
:) Edited by TrailGators

...Believe me, the archive request is nothing personal, which is exactly why I decided to do this with this new account...

On the other hand, he/she did offer to fix a disabled cache for a cacher. If we ask, maybe he/she will fix our caches as well. :)

I got several notices on some of my caches up here as well...

I've got several that are way past time to do something about...I just don't like the idea of a sock-puppet posting all those notes...

Maybe they have found all the caches in this area already...so they are trying to get more new hides for them to find. :D

On the other hand, he/she did offer to fix a disabled cache for a cacher. If we ask, maybe he/she will fix our caches as well. :)

I've got several that are way past time to do something about...I just don't like the idea of a sock-puppet posting all those notes...

Maybe they have found all the caches in this area already...so they are trying to get more new hides for them to find. :D

The thing is if that commie pinko weren't so dang lazy he'd probably have already cleaned up the whole area, so just blame the Reviewers... :)

The thing is if that commie pinko weren't so dang lazy he'd probably have already cleaned up the whole area, so just blame the Reviewers... :)

(error loading page)

Edited by Toby's Gang

That's because commie's are all government workers; there's no incentive to do any extra work.

Edited by Toby's Gang
It's time for some good press.... Kent fixed Gobolts!'s bush! :)

Kent Allard is our hero! :D

Hmm . . . I don't mind that he has decided to play conscience for Southern California . . . we can all probably use one to keep us honest. Everyone one of us has gotten sloppy on cache maintenance from time to time. But a conscience with zero finds / zero hides who professes to love geocaching? I smell socks. A sock puppet that paid $30 for premium membership?

Ron Tom John Sean . . . is that you? :)

It's time for some good press.... Kent fixed Gobolts!'s bush! :(

Kent Allard is our hero! :(

Hmm . . . I don't mind that he has decided to play conscience for Southern California . . . we can all probably use one to keep us honest. Everyone one of us has gotten sloppy on cache maintenance from time to time. But a conscience with zero finds / zero hides who professes to love geocaching? I smell socks. A sock puppet that paid $30 for premium membership?

Ron Tom John Sean . . . is that you? :D

Nope, it isn't me, I'm in Nevada. Replaced with a pill bottle huh..... Harmon, is that you? :D

Let's start by eliminating anyone that had a cache on "the list." I had two, so it's not me.

I'm not on the list because I actually do maintenance on my caches :(:D

But it's not me, because my name doesn't rhyme with any of those, and besides I wouldn't pay $30 bucks a year to do something I could do with my own account and then blame on Rooster.

Edited by Snake & Rooster
Let's start by eliminating anyone that had a cache on "the list." I had two, so it's not me.

But it's not me, because my name doesn't rhyme with any of those, and besides I wouldn't pay $30 bucks a year to do something I could do with my own account and then blame on Rooster.

How "Holier Than Thou," Snake! :D I've been nailed on Mont-Saint-Michel (for some reason, the commie pinko went easy on me with his courtesy notice), and we're planning on fixing that one up on Saturday. I promise you it's not me...

How "Holier Than Thou," Snake! :( I've been nailed on Mont-Saint-Michel (for some reason, the commie pinko went easy on me with his courtesy notice), and we're planning on fixing that one up on Saturday. I promise you it's not me...

You should have S&R replace it for you. He can just walk right across the water in five minutes to replace it.... :D Edited by TrailGators

How "Holier Than Thou," Snake! :( I've been nailed on Mont-Saint-Michel (for some reason, the commie pinko went easy on me with his courtesy notice), and we're planning on fixing that one up on Saturday. I promise you it's not me...

You should have S&R replace it for you. He can just walk right across the water in five minutes to replace it.... :D

Ahhh, the life of the unemployed. Plenty of time for cache maintenance!

You should have S&R replace it for you. He can just walk right across the water in five minutes to replace it.... :D

Maybe you should start a cache maintenance business.... :D

How "Holier Than Thou," Snake! :D I've been nailed on Mont-Saint-Michel (for some reason, the commie pinko went easy on me with his courtesy notice), and we're planning on fixing that one up on Saturday. I promise you it's not me...

Maybe you should start a cache maintenance business.... :(

Just got word that Fletcher Point is still closed. I guess Mont-Saint-Michel will have to wait. I even ordered a new La Mere Poulard tin of galletes to use as the cache container... (yeah, I know how that sounds :D , but I assure you that I eat red meat, too...)

Just a heads up, straight from David Hekel, the Ranger in SDRP:

Fletcher Point is currently off limits and has been signed and fenced. After the fires we decided to close off certain areas to create habitats were the wildlife would be left alone. That area as well as Glider Hill in Bernardo Bay and some other areas on the north side will be closed untill our resource manager gives the word to re-open.

Please look at our web site for info on the trails and geocaching. As of now there is still no caching within the burned areas. FYI, all of San Pasqual Vly. trail starting at the bottom of Raptor Ridge and the entire length of the Highland Vly trail are still closed.

On the other hand, he/she did offer to fix a disabled cache for a cacher. If we ask, maybe he/she will fix our caches as well. :(

Let me know if you need help. I have no containers now, though.
Just a heads up, straight from David Hekel, the Ranger in SDRP:

Fletcher Point is currently off limits and has been signed and fenced. After the fires we decided to close off certain areas to create habitats were the wildlife would be left alone. That area as well as Glider Hill in Bernardo Bay and some other areas on the north side will be closed untill our resource manager gives the word to re-open.

Please look at our web site for info on the trails and geocaching. As of now there is still no caching within the burned areas. FYI, all of San Pasqual Vly. trail starting at the bottom of Raptor Ridge and the entire length of the Highland Vly trail are still closed.

Thanks Tom. Bernardo Mountain has been closed for ~4 years because of a rejuvenation project. Obviously, that project started over in October, so we won't be caching up there for another 4+ years...

I tried to post this in the San Diego thread but I obviously haven't figured out how to use the forum posts very well yet. I couldn't figure out a way to delete it, so I modified it and now am posting in the correct local.

The purpose of my post is to thank all of you San Diego area cachers. I have been caching in San Diego now for about 3 months and have enjoyed all of the hides you folks have placed around here, and now have 5 of my own (more of the urban types in small parks)

I have learned a ton form you folks (by reading your logs, finding your caches and lurking in the forums. Yes I am a lurker/learner but not a duck :( so you can eliminate me from the suspects (although a teacher on summer break would have the time to do what the duck has been up to!!!)

Chuy.. I really enjoyed your motivational poster series. I copied the photos from your profile and sent them to a bunch of teachers I work with, right after we all got the pink slips for budget cutbacks. The timing was perfect.

KWVERS has been incredibly helpful as well and I am amazed at the number of caches these two pulled off in May.

Anyway, thanks all. Here is something I came across today while surfing the web and thought some of you folks would enjoy this.

A playlist to go caching to. http://www.geocachingonline.com/2008/04/28...-go-geocaching/

Songs copied below

You Ain’t Seen Nuthin’ Yet - Backman Turner Overdrive

Going In Circles - Three Dog Night

Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For - U2

Another One Bites The Dust - Queen

I Get Around - The Beach Boys

At The Hundreth Meridian - Tragically Hip

Musta Got Lost - J. Geils Band

So Far Away - Carol King

Take The Long Way Home - Supertramp

Saturday In The Park - Chicago

Two Outa Three Ain’t Bad - Meatloaf

Straight On - Heart

‘Round Here - Counting Crows

Helplessly Hoping - Crosby, Stills And Nash

Run Through The Jungle - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Can’t You See - Minglewood Band

Workin’ It - Don Henley

Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Turn Off The World - Doctor Hook

Show Me The Way - Styx

Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes - Jimmy Buffet

Take A Look Around - Joe Walsh

Down In The Hole - Rolling Stones

With A Little Luck - Paul McCartney

I Missed Again - Phil Collins

Try (Just A Little Bit Harder) - Janis Joplin

Closer - The Corrs

It Don’t Come Easy - Ringo Starr

Round And Round - Edgar Winter

Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider

Looking For Clues - Robert Palmer

Follow Your Heart - Triumph

Abracadabra - Steve Miller Band

This Must Be The Place - Talking Heads

Walk This Way - Aerosmith

All Over Town - April Wine

Miss You In A Heartbeat - Def Leppard

Radar Love - Golden Earring

Play The Game Tonight - Kansas

Ramble On - Led Zeppelin

Lovin’ Every Minute Of It - Loverboy

Pursuit on 53rd St. - Doobie Brothers

Turn On Your Receiver - Nazareth

I Ain’t Lookin’ Anymore - Prism

I Know You’re Out There Somewhere - Moody Blues

The Great Beyond - REM

Take It To The Limit - Eagles

Beneath, Between And Behind - Rush

Fumbling Towards Ecstasy - Sarah McLachlan

Into The Great Wide Open - Tom Petty

Edited by teamhaynes

Wow! Quite a list. I can tell by reading it that you must have grown up in the 70s like me! :P

I was born in 1970. My parents were verifiable hippies with the whole volkswagon bus tie die thing etc. I can't take credit for the list but I would like to.

I'm a tad older. I remember all the hippies, dopers and flower children in the 60s. I also remember watching Neil Armstrong walk on the moon. That was cool! :D

I'm not on the list because I actually do maintenance on my caches :D:ninja:

It's not Jodi and I cuz we have about 4 on the list. We posted notes that we plan on replacing the caches as soon as the burnt area in sweetwater allows for it. :P