The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Anybody have a (small) TB that needs to get to Australia? Let me know.

I'm leavin' on a jet plane ...

f0ff3242-96fa-4a36-9248-1e11d936bb6b.jpg

Don't know when I'll be back again. O babe I'd love t' go!

Harmon,

Meet your compadre in the desert yesterday at MINES worth it to.

Carpenter from hell. Me and SKILLET just did the caches and as we were leaving he asked if we found it and held up his GPSr.

We then introduced are selfs and wished them luck. :unsure::blink::huh:

My gosh, I'm surprised that Bill would be that far from home. Haven't seen him for months. Let me guess, he was wearing a Resistol cowboy hat, huh? Ah yes, Bill and I in prison together ... the good-old days.

Thanks,

Harmon

Yea and a beard as white as a ghost and long down to his bellybuton.

Anybody have a (small) TB that needs to get to Australia? Let me know.

I'm leavin' on a jet plane ...

f0ff3242-96fa-4a36-9248-1e11d936bb6b.jpg

Don't know when I'll be back again. O babe I'd love t' go!

Harmon,

Meet your compadre in the desert yesterday at MINES worth it to.

Carpenter from hell. Me and SKILLET just did the caches and as we were leaving he asked if we found it and held up his GPSr.

We then introduced are selfs and wished them luck. :laughing::P:D

My gosh, I'm surprised that Bill would be that far from home. Haven't seen him for months. Let me guess, he was wearing a Resistol cowboy hat, huh? Ah yes, Bill and I in prison together ... the good-old days.

Thanks,

Harmon

Yea and a beard as white as a ghost and long down to his bellybuton.

Wow! must have quit working too. For Bill that's a lot of beard. Guess I better check up on that old goat.

Isn't it great geocaching these days with all the beautiful green growth everywhere? With the possible minor drawback that it is harder to see caches sometimes with all the growth.

I will agree to that! This picture below is from the P in San Marcos. This area is normally all brown nasty. Now it is covered with 8" grass.

fee5a0d1-c909-4d03-ad8e-015401664f22.jpg

Isn't it great geocaching these days with all the beautiful green growth everywhere? With the possible minor drawback that it is harder to see caches sometimes with all the growth.

Yup! Now is the time to get out to the East County and find the multitude of caches in the Hollenbeck, Horsethief, and Carveacre Windcaves/Gaskill Peak/Lawson Peak areas.

This was taken at Hollenbeck last week:

5279ec52-b9e6-4124-b15a-196848268f55.jpg

Yup! Now is the time to get out to the East County and find the multitude of caches in the Hollenbeck, Horsethief, and Carveacre Windcaves/Gaskill Peak/Lawson Peak areas.

This was taken at Hollenbeck last week:

5279ec52-b9e6-4124-b15a-196848268f55.jpg

I had all of those areas done. Did someone go and put more caches in those areas? :drama::anicute:

I will agree to that! This picture below is from the P in San Marcos. This area is normally all brown nasty. Now it is covered with 8" grass.

fee5a0d1-c909-4d03-ad8e-015401664f22.jpg

Then shave for cryin' out loud. Looks kind of sandy-brown to me.

Time for my yearly rant to consider taking your dog to a rattlesnake avoidance course. It's Spring and the rattlers are becoming more active. Here are a few vendors I've located for you.

Patrick Callaghan Enterprises. He's the most active in our area. Ginger! has seen him twice.

Natural Solutions. I may take Ginger! to these folks this year, just so she tries someone different.

High on Kennels. In Mesa Grande (near Santa Ysabel). Good excuse to head over to the Santa Ysabel Open Space Preserve afterwards.

Project2000. It's the cheapest but you have to wait till July - kinda too late in my opinion.

I'm also considering Red Rock's Rattlesnake Vaccine. Most of the negative comments I've read about it relate to the fact the vaccine is snake-specific to the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake, Western Rattlesnake (including the Prairie, Great Basin, Northern and Southern Pacific Rattlesnakes), Sidewinder, Timber Rattlesnake, Massasauga, and the Copperhead. It's limited against the Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake, and offers no proctection against the Water Moccasin (Cottonmouth), Mojave Rattlesnake, Coral Snakes, and, of course, the non rattlers (cobras, mambas, etc...).

But, if you are taking notes, the rattlers covered are the ones that hang out in our area.

While visiting one of Winkster's caches on Dictionary Hill I found a note that someone had left that said Dictionary Hill is in danger of being developed. Dictionary Hill is also known as Lookout Mountain. The website that talks about the proposed development and what nearby residents are saying/doing about it: www.lookoutmtn.org. in case you'd like to read about it.

What a shame...my fake snake might get bulldozed :o

0002027E.gifHappy St. Paddy's Day!!00020282.gif

00020286.gif

For my St. Patrick's Day me, fastlane1601, and scouter649 went on an uber cache 'n dash spree down in el cajon and our plan was to get 50caches in a day but since fastlane1601 got a call and was told he had to coach hurdles for high school track in a couple hours we had to call it quits at 25 caches...it's still a PR for me. 25caches in a day :lol:

0002027E.gifHappy St. Paddy's Day!!00020282.gif

00020286.gif

For my St. Patrick's Day me, fastlane1601, and scouter649 went on an uber cache 'n dash spree down in el cajon and our plan was to get 50caches in a day but since fastlane1601 got a call and was told he had to coach hurdles for high school track in a couple hours we had to call it quits at 25 caches...it's still a PR for me. 25caches in a day B)

Glad to hear that you're having fun Irish10! Three years ago, Flagman, RocketMan and I went on a road trip to Palm Springs. I bet you and your buddies would have a blast up there too! :) Edited by TrailGators

Greetings cachers!

I know it's been a while since I've chimed in here, but life has gotten in the way of caching lately. (I know, I know, that's a blasphemous statement!) :o

Anyway, I was hoping to enlist a bit of help from somebody with Ebay skills!

Way back when, when our county was on fire, I put out a call to the geocoin community to donate coins for some relief for Tinfoil Hat Head & Wall-Eyed Nutbag, who lost their home in the fires. I only managed to get one of my own coins listed, and I just didn't have time to list any of the other coins.

I keep waiting for things to ease up, but in the mean time, Luke and Laura are still without their home, and probably could really use the money. I asked them if they were able to list the coins themselves, and then they would get the money directly, but they aren't set up for it.

I was hoping to find someone willing to list the coins and collect the money for them before any more time goes by. If you are willing and able, please drop me a note and I'll send you a bunch of coins!

Thanks!

Dave

Hey Everybody. I just realized that I should put the link to the coins here as well as on the Geocoin Forum. Here is what I put on the Geocoin forum, and links to the bidding if anybody would like to put in some bids to help out:

In the recent wildfires that rampaged through San Diego County about 6 months ago, a family of Geocachers lost their home. Cornerstone4 recently collected a bunch of donated coins from people who were kind enough to help out. Cornerstone4 has since passed the coins over to me in order to complete the selling and shipping process.

The trackable coins can be found at these links:

Geocoin XLE Night Hunter's First Personal Coin BN Glow

Geocoin Merry Christmas Ornament Green

Geocoin Geotag The Only Bugs I Like are Travel Bugs

Geocoin Triple Dragon Antique Copper

Geocoin Caching in the Pumpkin Patch in Gold Finish

Geocoin Trick or Treat Glow in the Dark Gold Finish

Geocoin Christ Centered Cachers The Narrow Gate

Geocoin Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe Don't Panic

Geocoin XLE Cheif20r2 Glitter/Glow

Geocoin Blue Evil Mastermind in Gold Finish

Geocoin XLE Evil Mastermind Black/Glow

Please bid with generosity and lets see how much help we can offer.

I am also considering doing another batch if anybody would like to help but missed the last collection. I will do this if there is enough interest. Send me a message if you are interested.

Thanks to all the coin donors and all the bidders.

It looks like Unknown to U/Chaotic Cacher's habit of placing caches in plain view of muggles has finally caught up with him/us:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a0-b7d98ad07be7

I did a drive-by of that one recently and was glad I skipped it! I wouldn't have wanted to be surrounded by eight people with guns! It was in the median in plain view of a security guard so I skipped it and put it on my ignore list (along with about 25 other U to U's).

Not that I agree with the placement of the cache but the FBI over stepped their bounds a bit. It is public property. Doesn't matter if its 300 ft or 1 foot from their fence it is still public property. If we can place them on bases in IRAQ, then we sure as hell can place them on roads in the US. There is no need for what happened.

Not that I agree with the placement of the cache but the FBI over stepped their bounds a bit. It is public property. Doesn't matter if its 300 ft or 1 foot from their fence it is still public property. If we can place them on bases in IRAQ, then we sure as hell can place them on roads in the US. There is no need for what happened.

A lot of crimes take place on public property. So long as the feebies (or any other law enforcement officer/agent) can articulate their actions were to stop a perceived crime in progress or prevent one, they were in the right to respond as they did. The general rule of thumb is, based on what the officer/agent saw or perceived, will a "reasonable" person agree action needed to be taken.

A lot of crimes take place on public property. So long as the feebies (or any other law enforcement officer/agent) can articulate their actions were to stop a perceived crime in progress or prevent one, they were in the right to respond as they did. The general rule of thumb is, based on what the officer/agent saw or perceived, will a "reasonable" person agree action needed to be taken.

I can understand them not wanting it there, but if they knew about the cache and have been watching people come to it, then suddenly decide to come out with 8 guns drawn, then I say "unreasonable".

But hey, let's keep them on our side; we don't seem to have too many friends out there any more.

If you read the post there was no perceived "threat." Plus there was no crime permitted. Law enforcement or not, encroaching on public property because you feel you don't want something within a certain distance of your special govt. property is in a legal gray area as well. If your that afraid push the fence out some more, perhaps to the distance you need, instead of hasseling civilians. Or even crazier put signs up, unless your dumb enough to think you can hide a compound like that.

OK, new subject. Some of us while out at Skillet's yesterday were taking about the Geowoodstock event.

So who's going from San Diego and how are you getting there? And plans for caravans, carpools, etc?

I'm driving because I like having my truck, crusing down the freeway with Sirius cranked as loud as I can stand it. My wife won't be with me so I can have it as loud as I want. :blink:

I'll probably be leaving Thursday night (on Canadian Grls advice) and going half way up, spending the night in some cheap, sleezy hotel then finishing up the drive the next day - getting there in time for the Friday night meet and greet.

It's still 60 days away but that will go by quickly.

OK, new subject. Some of us while out at Skillet's yesterday were taking about the Geowoodstock event.

So who's going from San Diego and how are you getting there? And plans for caravans, carpools, etc?

I'm driving because I like having my truck, crusing down the freeway with Sirius cranked as loud as I can stand it. My wife won't be with me so I can have it as loud as I want. :blink:

I'll probably be leaving Thursday night (on Canadian Grls advice) and going half way up, spending the night in some cheap, sleezy hotel then finishing up the drive the next day - getting there in time for the Friday night meet and greet.

Kwvers! will be driving up and staying at the nearby Thousand Trails campground.

Kwvers! will be driving up and staying at the nearby Thousand Trails campground.

I also created a route between San Diego and Sacramento to use for pocket queries. You can find it by going to your cache page then click on the link "Find Caches Along a Route" then do a keyword search for GW6.

I'm driving because I like having my truck, crusing down the freeway with Sirius cranked as loud as I can stand it. My wife won't be with me so I can have it as loud as I want. :)

:blink: John and I will be there. I'm meeting John in Reno Friday so we'll be there for the Friday night thing and leaving Monday. We would love to meet up with some of our San Diego Family! John has cached in the area a bunch so he kinda knows his way around. Jerry I know you will be really busy but there are some great bike trails there.

I'm driving because I like having my truck, crusing down the freeway with Sirius cranked as loud as I can stand it. My wife won't be with me so I can have it as loud as I want. :)

:blink: John and I will be there. I'm meeting John in Reno Friday so we'll be there for the Friday night thing and leaving Monday. We would love to meet up with some of our San Diego Family! John has cached in the area a bunch so he kinda knows his way around. Jerry I know you will be really busy but there are some great bike trails there.

zeber and I are flying up to San Jose on Friday morning, meeting The Fat Cats there and then we're driving to the Sacramento area. We're all staying at the Orchard Suites in Roseville. I think Team Adelos and finkbr are too. zeber and I are flying back on Monday.

We were thinking it might be fun to get the SD cachers together for caching and/or socialiizing.

Thought you all might like to hear about the High-Tech Easter Egg Hunt in the FlagMan family. The in-laws invited the whole clan over for Easter brunch and asked me if maybe I could devise some entertainment for the kids who are all getting a bit too old (the youngest was still in elementary school and the oldest is in 9th grade) for the traditional Easter egg hunt. So I hid 20-altoids tin "eggs" around the neighborhood from Fairbrook to Semillon and south of Pomerado and put the coords into some eTrex's that Habu! let me borrow. I gave them all a Google Earth map with the coords marked and sent them on this 2-1/2 hour hunt that took them around various neighborhoods and through several trails. We broke the six kids into two teams and send each team in a different direction. Inside each "egg" was a FTF ticket (with money ranging from $.25 go $1.00), a STF ticket and a 3TF ticket (which we didn't need because there ended up being only 2-teams). They had a total blast. Once they got over the frustration of finding the first "egg" magnetically attached to an electric box ("that's was really hard, Uncle Tom!"), they were off and running. The two teams actually met at the exact middle of the course, and each team ended up with 10-FTF tickets (a tie). So we changed the game so that the winner would be the first team to return to the house. Believe it or not, both teams burst into the house from different doors at exactly the same time! We had to call it a draw. There was much wailing and moaning and gnashing of teeth at various spots where the "eggs" were hidden "haqre n ebpx" or "va n ohfu" but both teams ended up finding them all eventually. I know I had a blast with it, and the kids are now all demanding that we do it every year. Personally, I think we should make the adults do it next year...

Thought you all might like to hear about the High-Tech Easter Egg Hunt in the FlagMan family. The in-laws invited the whole clan over for Easter brunch and asked me if maybe I could devise some entertainment for the kids who are all getting a bit too old (the youngest was still in elementary school and the oldest is in 9th grade) for the traditional Easter egg hunt. So I hid 20-altoids tin "eggs" around the neighborhood from Fairbrook to Semillon and south of Pomerado and put the coords into some eTrex's that Habu! let me borrow. I gave them all a Google Earth map with the coords marked and sent them on this 2-1/2 hour hunt that took them around various neighborhoods and through several trails. We broke the six kids into two teams and send each team in a different direction. Inside each "egg" was a FTF ticket (with money ranging from $.25 go $1.00), a STF ticket and a 3TF ticket (which we didn't need because there ended up being only 2-teams). They had a total blast. Once they got over the frustration of finding the first "egg" magnetically attached to an electric box ("that's was really hard, Uncle Tom!"), they were off and running. The two teams actually met at the exact middle of the course, and each team ended up with 10-FTF tickets (a tie). So we changed the game so that the winner would be the first team to return to the house. Believe it or not, both teams burst into the house from different doors at exactly the same time! We had to call it a draw. There was much wailing and moaning and gnashing of teeth at various spots where the "eggs" were hidden "haqre n ebpx" or "va n ohfu" but both teams ended up finding them all eventually. I know I had a blast with it, and the kids are now all demanding that we do it every year. Personally, I think we should make the adults do it next year...

Seems like I've seen something like this done before. We could call it Geoteaming but I think the name has already been taken... :blink::):D

I wanted to share something with my caching buddies. This is a guy I met thru Moose Mob. He is stationed in Iraq and he ask me for some help in designing a geocaching course for his team. To make a long story short, they finally did the event. Here is a note from him and a link to the pictures. If you go to the link, notice the guy with an M-16 doing the course ...and it ain't a paintball gun

Hi Bill,

We finally got around to doing the course yesterday. Everybody had a good time, though the number of people playing was a lot smaller than I had prepared for (1/2 of our team was prepping to leave). I've posted some pictures at http://jeepfun.zoomshare.com/5.html. These are the ones I took, I'll be getting more on there later. Thank you for all of the help you gave me in creating this! Just wanted to let you know that we did it and it was a hit.

If you have trouble with the link, try cut-and-paste

Edited by habu!

I wanted to share something with my caching buddies. This is a guy I met thru Moose Mob. He is stationed in Iraq and he ask me for some help in designing a geocaching course for his team. To make a long story short, they finally did the event. Here is a note from him and a link to the pictures. If you go to the link, notice the guy with an M-16 doing the course ...and it ain't a paintball gun

Hi Bill,

We finally got around to doing the course yesterday. Everybody had a good time, though the number of people playing was a lot smaller than I had prepared for (1/2 of our team was prepping to leave). I've posted some pictures at http://jeepfun.zoomshare.com/5.html. These are the ones I took, I'll be getting more on there later. Thank you for all of the help you gave me in creating this! Just wanted to let you know that we did it and it was a hit.

That's awesome! :blink:

Hi Bill,

That's awesome! :huh:

Them boys and girls need some Sandy Creek Cowboy caches.

Thry the link this way: JeepFun Link

Edited by SD Rowdies

Hi Bill,

That's awesome! :huh:

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing it! :)