The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Is it me are is Geocaching.com slow. I can't get into my account. :blink::blink::cool:

The website is hosed. No new caches being published, and everything is slow or completely inaccessible...

They're looking for the pellets to feed the hamsters right now...

On the bright side at least the forums are working fine. 0002022F.gif

I thought the PQ's came from a different server, but I haven't received any today.

The site came back up a few minutes ago and is working great. ..now if that darn rain would go away so I don't have to watch a football game that I couldn't care less about.

...And to tease us, all those new caches are popping up now in MTRP.

All in all there has been an incredible amount of MTRP Geocaching done with little ranger/USMC intervention.

Speaking of intervention, I dropped eight of the nine caches that were confiscated by the Marines. They're sprinkled from Oak Canyon to Spring Canyon to the Fortunas. :D The one cache I didn't take was an ammo can as I had no space for it in my pack! But, I have a nice spot in mind for it. Hope to submit them all for publication tonight. :D

Whoohooo! I'm looking forward to hiking those trails again soon! :D

Probably won't be tomorrow though. Ms. LLOT seems to be under the weather... :cool:

:blink: I would understand and let Jodi go get them if I was sick! :blink:

Ms. LLOT would understand and let me go as well -- but I get more Husband Points if I don't.

(And you can never have too many Husband Points...they can be redeemed for valuable prizes like 1AM FTF attempts...)

All in all there has been an incredible amount of MTRP Geocaching done with little ranger/USMC intervention.

Speaking of intervention, I dropped eight of the nine caches that were confiscated by the Marines. They're sprinkled from Oak Canyon to Spring Canyon to the Fortunas. :D The one cache I didn't take was an ammo can as I had no space for it in my pack! But, I have a nice spot in mind for it. Hope to submit them all for publication tonight. :D

Probably won't be tomorrow though. Ms. LLOT seems to be under the weather... :D

:blink: I would understand and let Jodi go get them if I was sick! :cool:

Ms. LLOT would understand and let me go as well -- but I get more Husband Points if I don't.

(And you can never have too many Husband Points...they can be redeemed for valuable prizes like 1AM FTF attempts...)

For some reason, I was thinking of something else that you could redeem them for... :blink:

:blink: I would understand and let Jodi go get them if I was sick! :cool:

For some reason, I was thinking of something else that you could redeem them for... :blink:

As I said...you can never have too many Husband Points... :D

:D I would understand and let Jodi go get them if I was sick! :D

As I said...you can never have too many Husband Points... :D

I got lucky my wife just left for Costco so I sneaked out to the new one at the campground at MTRP. Got beat for FTF by 5 mins. Still made it home before here. :blink::cool::D

One of the new MTRP caches did not get published 'cause it was placed 55 feet from a disabled cache I erroneously had listed in my GPS as archived. icon_smile_blush.gif Turns out the disabled cache is owned by cegrube, the original owner of the recovered cache I dropped. I sent Carl an email to recover my [his] cache if he replaces his, or archive his so mine [his] gets published.

The recovered cache is GC19332, Harmon Needs a Blood Transfusion! and is at N32 51.245 W117 03.671 on the bottom of the fence. If you are in the area and the cache has not been published, feel free to sign in as a beta tester in the event it goes live after you hike through the area.

Reading the threads has it privileges!

One of the new MTRP caches did not get published 'cause it was placed 55 feet from a disabled cache I erroneously had listed in my GPS as archived. icon_smile_blush.gif Turns out the disabled cache is owned by cegrube, the original owner of the recovered cache I dropped. I sent Carl an email to recover my [his] cache if he replaces his, or archive his so mine [his] gets published.

The recovered cache is GC19332, Harmon Needs a Blood Transfusion! and is at N32 51.245 W117 03.671 on the bottom of the fence. If you are in the area and the cache has not been published, feel free to sign in as a beta tester in the event it goes live after you hike through the area.

What memories ... 2006 all over again. Will there be a cookout once the new one's are heavily scored?

Nice work Chuy! and Ginger!, now Splashette has agreed to joint ventures into MTRP. She resisted up to now because I wouldn't be able to score finds while accompanying her the way it was. Ain't she a sweetie? Now with the several rehides she's agreed to do joint MTRP runs.

By the way, there's still one archived/orphaned Geocache way up at the head of Spring Canyon. It was called "Live Fire" because it was placed not far from a sign to that effect located just as one would top-out on the ridgeline and be able to look straight west and see the rifle range looking back at you.

Harmon

What memories ... 2006 all over again. Will there be a cookout once the new one's are heavily scored?

Nice work Chuy! and Ginger!, now Splashette has agreed to joint ventures into MTRP. She resisted up to now because I wouldn't be able to score finds while accompanying her the way it was. Ain't she a sweetie? Now with the several rehides she's agreed to do joint MTRP runs.

By the way, there's still one archived/orphaned Geocache way up at the head of Spring Canyon. It was called "Live Fire" because it was placed not far from a sign to that effect located just as one would top-out on the ridgeline and be able to look straight west and see the rifle range looking back at you.

Harmon

What type of container was Live Fire? I ended up with an extra container that contained the log and contents of I Need Water. But this extra container is regular sized, and I Need Water was supposed to be small. I assumed the Marines grabbed a container to hold the small containers. Swag included a cassette, dominos, Pikachu toy, and a few other dirty rotting sway I threw away.

Edited by Chuy!

Harmon

What type of container was Live Fire? I ended up with an extra container that contained the log and contents of I Need Water. But this extra container is regular sized, and I Need Water was supposed to be small. I assumed the Marines grabbed a container to hold the small containers. Swag included a cassette, dominos, Pikachu toy, and a few other dirty rotting swag I threw away.

The "Live FIre" container was and probably still is a plastic Parmesan-Cheese container sort of tennis-ball container size. For sure the "I Need Water" container was quite small.

Here's an afterthought, I'll just bet that "I Need Water" is still in place. The coord's were off by a lot and it was very hard to spot the hide in such an unlikely location with a lot of Poison Oak in that area. My guess is the Marine patrol didn't find it.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Is there a local cacher, who makes geocoins. I am thinking about doing my own geocoin, and thought I would give the local flavor a chance to see what I might do.

For some reason, I thought somebody got into that, but I cannot remember who.

I think Steve Dillon was doing coins. Also, nscaler...

Is there a local cacher, who makes geocoins. I am thinking about doing my own geocoin, and thought I would give the local flavor a chance to see what I might do.

For some reason, I thought somebody got into that, but I cannot remember who.

I think Steve Dillon was doing coins. Also, nscaler...

Also Cornerstone4...

I hope y'all don't mind a quick post about my singing, but I'll be in the area on Saturday, in case anyone wants to come. I'll have time for a few caches around Carlsbad in the afternoon, too.

Beethoven's Wig, featuring EMC of Northridge, CA

Two shows, 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m., about 45 minutes each

Schulman Auditorium

Carlsbad City Library

1775 Dove Lane

Carlsbad, CA 92011

I hope y'all don't mind a quick post about my singing, but I'll be in the area on Saturday, in case anyone wants to come. I'll have time for a few caches around Carlsbad in the afternoon, too.

Beethoven's Wig, featuring EMC of Northridge, CA

Two shows, 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m., about 45 minutes each

Schulman Auditorium

Carlsbad City Library

1775 Dove Lane

Carlsbad, CA 92011

She has a great voice and is quite a cacher. She has found in excess of 14,000 caches. Check her out.

For anyone going out along old US 80, I have created 6 different "cache along a route" paths for US 80 from San Diego to Yuma. They are locked onto 80 rather than I-8 in case people want to narrow the pockets queries closer to the old road (so as not to miss areas such as in Jacumba and El Centro-Holtville).

The easiest way to find them is with a Keyword search for "US 80."

You can find my California US 80 strip maps on my website as well as GPX, Topo! and other files.

Let me tell you, Google Earth did not want to let me have a route on old 80, so I had to build these out of a lot of small routes and manually splice the files together. What a pain. I wish Google Earth had an "avoid highways" feature like Google Maps.

In the future, there may be a cache series along old 80 placed by members of the California Historic Highway 80 board. I'm not the only cacher on the board. We may do an event someday too.

Parsa

For anyone going out along old US 80, I have created 6 different "cache along a route" paths for US 80 from San Diego to Yuma. They are locked onto 80 rather than I-8 in case people want to narrow the pockets queries closer to the old road (so as not to miss areas such as in Jacumba and El Centro-Holtville).

You can find my California US 80 strip maps on my website as well as GPX, Topo! and other files.

Let me tell you, Google Earth did not want to let me have a route on old 80, so I had to build these out of a lot of small routes and manually splice the files together. What a pain. I wish Google Earth had an "avoid highways" feature like Google Maps.

In the future, there may be a cache series along old 80 placed by members of the California Historic Highway 80 board. I'm not the only cacher on the board. We may do an event someday too.

Parsa

I just pieced together the maps, and its about 8 feet worth or more... Definitely intriguing, and I think I might drive this some day. Found the routes, too... Should be interesting some day...

Edited by FlagMan

Parsa

OK Parsa, now we need "Music to Cruise Old 80" CD's! [:P]

Ruscal

Greetings cachers!

I know it's been a while since I've chimed in here, but life has gotten in the way of caching lately. (I know, I know, that's a blasphemous statement!) ;)

Anyway, I was hoping to enlist a bit of help from somebody with Ebay skills!

Way back when, when our county was on fire, I put out a call to the geocoin community to donate coins for some relief for Tinfoil Hat Head & Wall-Eyed Nutbag, who lost their home in the fires. I only managed to get one of my own coins listed, and I just didn't have time to list any of the other coins.

I keep waiting for things to ease up, but in the mean time, Luke and Laura are still without their home, and probably could really use the money. I asked them if they were able to list the coins themselves, and then they would get the money directly, but they aren't set up for it.

I was hoping to find someone willing to list the coins and collect the money for them before any more time goes by. If you are willing and able, please drop me a note and I'll send you a bunch of coins!

Thanks!

Dave

Parsa

OK Parsa, now we need "Music to Cruise Old 80" CD's! [;)]

Ruscal

Hehe. :) I did find two cool Mississippi Delta blues songs about US 80 on iTunes. I'd like to find any songs about towns on the route, but I don't know many right now. East Texas Red by Woody Guthrie talks about Longview, Texas which is on 80. Here's a map. Anyone know any?

Parsa

OK Parsa, now we need "Music to Cruise Old 80" CD's! [ ;) ]

Ruscal

Hehe. :) I did find two cool Mississippi Delta blues songs about US 80 on iTunes. I'd like to find any songs about towns on the route, but I don't know many right now. East Texas Red by Woody Guthrie talks about Longview, Texas which is on 80. Here's a map. Anyone know any?

Marty Robbins - El Paso
Hehe. ;) I did find two cool Mississippi Delta blues songs about US 80 on iTunes. I'd like to find any songs about towns on the route, but I don't know many right now. East Texas Red by Woody Guthrie talks about Longview, Texas which is on 80. Here's a map. Anyone know any?
Marty Robbins - El Paso

I'd Rather be in Tucson - Jean Chastain 1980

Truckin' Into Tucson - Saddle City Band 1982

The 3:10 to Yuma - Sandy Denny 1967

Las Cruces Jail - Two Gallants 2006

Woody Guthrie talks about Longview, Texas [...] Anyone know any?

Parsa,

Almost missed your question, so how about Longview/Kilgore being the railroad trailhead for all the southwestern rail lines? Early on it was the Texas Eagle that ran between Longview and Austin. Am I close?

My dear old deceased dad was tossed from a freight car by a railroad bull soon after he left the family cotton-farm at age thirteen. As he scrambled back up and ran to grab a following freight car he fell twenty feet from a railroad bridge and suffered a broken jaw. The hobos took him in until he was well-enough to walk into a town some twenty miles away. The rest of his life his jaw clicked when he chewed. As a young teen-ager I hated listening to his clicking jaw during each and every meal but, believe me, I didn't let him know how I felt.

Of course I should also mention that when a Texan hears the phrase "Texas Red" it's expected to be a reference to Texas Chili, you know, meat and anchos ... no danged beans. With beans and other tasteless contaminants right-thinking people call it "chili soup."

YeeHaw!

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Greetings cachers!

I know it's been a while since I've chimed in here, but life has gotten in the way of caching lately. (I know, I know, that's a blasphemous statement!) :anibad:

Anyway, I was hoping to enlist a bit of help from somebody with Ebay skills!

Way back when, when our county was on fire, I put out a call to the geocoin community to donate coins for some relief for Tinfoil Hat Head & Wall-Eyed Nutbag, who lost their home in the fires. I only managed to get one of my own coins listed, and I just didn't have time to list any of the other coins.

I keep waiting for things to ease up, but in the mean time, Luke and Laura are still without their home, and probably could really use the money. I asked them if they were able to list the coins themselves, and then they would get the money directly, but they aren't set up for it.

I was hoping to find someone willing to list the coins and collect the money for them before any more time goes by. If you are willing and able, please drop me a note and I'll send you a bunch of coins!

Thanks!

Dave

E-mail Sent

Thanks!

Dave

E-mail Sent

Received!

Thanks for the offer! I'll get your address from you and send the package on the way!

I was about to create a PQ when I noticed that there is a new cache type: Wherigo Cache

Anybody got some info on that???

It's a new caching game. You can read about it here.

Thx!

It's basically an elaborate multi-cache and you need a Pocket PC or a Colorado to play it. However, if you had someone at home on a PC, they could do it using a simulator and they could guide you around using your cell phone. I think that would actually be a fun way to do it! Edited by TrailGators

Poor Max (the dog) had a little operation yesterday. Here's a picture of him I took today. He had a bone tumor removed from the back of his head. He is doing well and will be released on Sunday. If anyone wants to visit or send cards or flowers, he is at:

Veterinary Specialty Hospital

10435 Sorrento Valley Road

San Diego, CA 92121

30cb1b1a-0011-4268-9107-92e38649dfe2.jpg

Poor Max (the dog) had a little operation yesterday. Here's a picture of him I took today. He had a bone tumor removed from the back of his head. He is doing well and will be released on Sunday. If anyone wants to visit or send cards or flowers, he is at:

San Diego, CA 92121

Here's wishing Max a speedy recovery. :o:o:P

San Diego, CA 92121

:) FATTDOG SAYS: RRRRRRRR - BOOOW WOOOOOOW !! :D

:P WITCH MEANS GOOD LUCK OLD BOY !! :)

:o FATTDOG :o

San Diego, CA 92121

Ahhh, poor Max. Hopefully you got a big bag of Greenies to help make you feel better! :o Edited by TrailGators

San Diego, CA 92121

Since we can't give Max a big 'ol hug and a bunch of get well treats, I'm sure you'll do it for us Tom!!!

He is such a handsome guy !! :o:o

Waiting to see you back out on the trails, Max! :P

The Splashes

San Diego, CA 92121

Get well you big stud. heart.gif

SGC-029-Sick-Dog.jpg

San Diego, CA 92121

We both wish Max a speedy recovery Tom. We're glad he seems to be doing well. Maybe he and Murphy can compare war wounds when he gets home.

Dibs on the Fentanyl Patch!

I just bought a Garmin 60Cx. What software do you recommend?

The City Navigator NT 2008 software is coming out for Mac (which is good), but I'm assuming it has the stupid single unlock code (which is bad).

I like having topographic maps, so Topo 2008 is a possibility. No news on Mac software on this yet, but I can get it for PC and transfer to my Mac using a software app that Garmin has made.

Another possibility is to find a copy of MetroGuide North America (v8). At least it is unlocked.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa
I just bought a Garmin 60Cx. What software do you recommend?

The City Navigator NT 2008 software is coming out for Mac (which is good), but I'm assuming it has the stupid single unlock code (which is bad).

I like having topographic maps, so Topo 2008 is a possibility. No news on Mac software on this yet, but I can get it for PC and transfer to my Mac using a software app that Garmin has made.

Another possibility is to find a copy of MetroGuide North America (v8). At least it is unlocked.

Parsa

There is a software product called Metrogold, which give Metroguide maps the ability to autoroute. It says that it works with topo maps too. The best part is that it's only six bucks. Edited by TrailGators

Max (the dog) is home now, and the Fentanyl patch has worn off, so he is really starting to get back to his usual self. It was touch and go for a few days there, and his drugged state he reminded me a bit like Jack Nicholson in his last scene in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest -- not a pretty picture. But he's up and about now, and doing all his usual things. Thanks to Snake & Rooster for the flowers and balloons! They arrived just at the right time!

9b87ac9e-c4ff-4649-a6c6-a42754bb90c3.jpg

I'm a dog person so I truly hope he recovers fully.

I'm Wolf Grrl from the Central Valley Cachers. I have an idea and well I'm hoping to get positive responses from so we can get the ball rolling. Let me know what you all think.

I've been thinking ;) I know!

Texas Caching Regions put on a Texas Challenge every year. I hear so many great stories about them. There hasn't been one person that hasn't had a good time. Each year a different region hosts/plans/organizes. It's pretty cool. They will have coins and tshirts made up to sell. They have hunting teams where each region has a team of cachers that will go find the caches at the event. The organizers of the region can not tell their home team where those caches are. There are trophies for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. It's a big competition between the regions. There is a silent auction. There is Camp Little Cachers (I just made the name up) where people volunteer for the day (shifts of course) to have activities and crafts to keep all the little cachers busy so moms and dads don't have to worry about them. There is so much more.

Why not have California do a California Challenge? We would have to decide how to divide the state up and form a committee which I would be more than happy to be a part of. I think it would be a blast and definitely a worthwhile event. Is any one gamed? How can we spread the idea and get how our fellow Californian Cachers feel about the idea? I do not know how to insert hyperlinks into these forums so I just copied and pasted the event page and the forum from Houston.

Share your thoughts, suggestions, opinions so we can get the ball rolling for one next year!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b2-69d14b83670b

http://web.hgcs.org/forum/index.php?topic=5031.0

Max (the dog) is home now, and the Fentanyl patch has worn off, so he is really starting to get back to his usual self. It was touch and go for a few days there, and his drugged state he reminded me a bit like Jack Nicholson in his last scene in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest -- not a pretty picture. But he's up and about now, and doing all his usual things. Thanks to Snake & Rooster for the flowers and balloons! They arrived just at the right time!

9b87ac9e-c4ff-4649-a6c6-a42754bb90c3.jpg

Glad to hear that Max is feeling better! ;)

Howdy... My dad needs help placing a really BIG cache in San Diego. He's got a really big heavy black plastic bin, maybe 42 gallons in size. He'll need lots of BIG swag to fill it and more importantly, a good spot to set it in and natural cammo where it won't get muggled. Now he's done this before, he has the record for the largest cache in Austin at 24 gallons, and the largest cache in Wichita, not quite 24 gallons but hey it ain't Texas up there so that's all right and they don't mind a bit. But he knew Austin and Wichita like the back of his hand and doesn't know San Diego as well. You can PM me with suggestions and coordinates if you know of a place that could hide this "Hugh Jazz" sized container, and I'll see that he gets them.

Thanks,

lowracer's kid Skyler.

Howdy... My dad needs help placing a really BIG cache in San Diego. He's got a really big heavy black plastic bin, maybe 42 gallons in size. He'll need lots of BIG swag to fill it and more importantly, a good spot to set it in and natural cammo where it won't get muggled. Now he's done this before, he has the record for the largest cache in Austin at 24 gallons, and the largest cache in Wichita, not quite 24 gallons but hey it ain't Texas up there so that's all right and they don't mind a bit. But he knew Austin and Wichita like the back of his hand and doesn't know San Diego as well. You can PM me with suggestions and coordinates if you know of a place that could hide this "Hugh Jazz" sized container, and I'll see that he gets them.

Thanks,

lowracer's kid Skyler.

There's always Ocitillo Wells or Superstition area.

If anyone would like the chance to go to Kona Hawaii, I have raffle tickets for sell.

Here is what you get.

Rd. trip airfare for two

Two bd/two bth condo on the beach.

Rental car.

100 cash.

One day of sportfishing.

If you want you can also go turkey hunting for two birds each.

Two tickets to the local chapters banquet.

This is a chance to win a vaction for just 20.00 dollars.

The date for this is March 2009.

The drawing will be at our 10th annual hunting heritage banquet May 17th. and you do not need to be there.

E-mail me at jvking2@cox.net

Edited by Team Fatman

Anybody have a (small) TB that needs to get to Australia? Let me know.

I'm leavin' on a jet plane ...

f0ff3242-96fa-4a36-9248-1e11d936bb6b.jpg

Don't know when I'll be back again. O babe I'd love t' go!

Harmon,

Meet your compadre in the desert yesterday at MINES worth it to.

Carpenter from hell. Me and SKILLET just did the caches and as we were leaving he asked if we found it and held up his GPSr.

We then introduced are selfs and wished them luck. :unsure::blink::huh:

Edited by Team Fatman

Anybody have a (small) TB that needs to get to Australia? Let me know.

I'm leavin' on a jet plane ...

f0ff3242-96fa-4a36-9248-1e11d936bb6b.jpg

Don't know when I'll be back again. O babe I'd love t' go!

Harmon,

Meet your compadre in the desert yesterday at MINES worth it to.

Carpenter from hell. Me and SKILLET just did the caches and as we were leaving he asked if we found it and held up his GPSr.

We then introduced are selfs and wished them luck. :unsure::blink::huh:

My gosh, I'm surprised that Bill would be that far from home. Haven't seen him for months. Let me guess, he was wearing a Resistol cowboy hat, huh? Ah yes, Bill and I in prison together ... the good-old days.

Thanks,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies