The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

UPDATE ON BOB, IE; FATTBOY.

I TALKED TO HIM AROUND 3;30 PM AND HE IS SORE AND TIRED AND WAS GOING TO BED.

SURGERY WAS SCHEDULED FOR NOON BUT THEY DIDN'T DO IT TILL 6, THEN IT LASTED TWO AND HALF HOURS. SO WE CAN WISH FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY.

I have been sending him prayers with love and healing intentions since reading this. We hope his recovery is kind to his body as he heals and that his spirit feels at ease through this process. We sent our get well note as well. Thank you for letting us all know so that we could have this opportunity to offer support and to send him energy :) .

The Slaby's

Anyone else see this? It brought a smile to my face... :lol:

Climbers rescued on Mount Hood aided by treasure hunt box

03:55 PM PST on Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Associated Press and KGW.com

MOUNT HOOD, Ore. - Two men who became lost on Mount Hood were able to aid rescuers after they found a geocache, a box used in a treasure hunt game, that contained their GPS location.

Rescuers safely guided Matthew Pitts and Justin Votos out of the snow-covered forest Tuesday morning, after the pair got lost in whiteout conditions while climbing on Mount Hood.

"We lost our way and ended up further west than we thought we would be," Pitts told KGW, just after reaching Timberline. The two men said they found themselves in whiteout conditions. At times, they couldn't even see their own feet and were afraid any misstep would send them tumbling over a cliff.

Searchers got a break in their rescue effort Tuesday morning when a call got through to one of the men's cell phones. The climbers said they had built a snow cave and spent the night inside it, according to Jim Strovink with the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office.

After the cell phone call, the pair began heading down the mountain, but they couldn't give rescuers an exact location since they did not have a mountain locator device. However, the pair found a Geocache, which helped searchers zero in on them. A Geocache is a box with a known GPS location, used in a game similar to a treasure hunt that's popular with backcountry adventurers.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Yea, i saw the video of it. Pretty cool! They would have made it to saftey in either case, but still cool that Geocaching can save lives :lol:

Anyone else see this? It brought a smile to my face... B)

MOUNT HOOD, Ore. - Two men who became lost on Mount Hood were able to aid rescuers after they found a geocache, a box used in a treasure hunt game, that contained their GPS location.

Rescuers safely guided Matthew Pitts and Justin Votos out of the snow-covered forest Tuesday morning, after the pair got lost in whiteout conditions while climbing on Mount Hood.

"We lost our way and ended up further west than we thought we would be," Pitts told KGW, just after reaching Timberline. The two men said they found themselves in whiteout conditions. At times, they couldn't even see their own feet and were afraid any misstep would send them tumbling over a cliff.

Searchers got a break in their rescue effort Tuesday morning when a call got through to one of the men's cell phones. The climbers said they had built a snow cave and spent the night inside it, according to Jim Strovink with the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office.

After the cell phone call, the pair began heading down the mountain, but they couldn't give rescuers an exact location since they did not have a mountain locator device. However, the pair found a Geocache, which helped searchers zero in on them. A Geocache is a box with a known GPS location, used in a game similar to a treasure hunt that's popular with backcountry adventurers.

Anyone else see this? It brought a smile to my face... :lol:

Good gosh, same old story ... newbies and Muggles stumble onto a hide while we go nuts trying to find them with GPS receivers.

Anyone else see this? It brought a smile to my face... :D

I saw it because there was another thread discussing it. Cool story! Edited by TrailGators

I saw it because there was another thread discussing it. Cool story!

Must not have been a well hidden Cache 00020187.gif

---snip---

I saw it because there was another thread discussing it. Cool story!

Must not have been a well hidden Cache 00020187.gif

All things considered, they were lucky to have found it...

I say this from the perspective of having done some winter caching in Colorado where I've arrived at GZ only to realize that the cache is under five feet of snow... :D:D

I say this from the perspective of having done some winter caching in Colorado where I've arrived at GZ only to realize that the cache is under five feet of snow... :D:D

What part of Colorado/winter/snow didn't you understand before you went looking for a Cache.. 00020148.gif

What part of Colorado/winter/snow didn't you understand before you went looking for a Cache.. 00020148.gif

Yeah, I admit it. I'm was an idiot... :D

When the caching fever hits, rationality goes out the window...

Do you still have that fever from scratching the PO too much? I've heard that a fever can release the creative juices. Any chance the Polar Bear PO helped you solve some of the Polar Bear's Insanity Caches?

I say this from the perspective of having done some winter caching in Colorado where I've arrived at GZ only to realize that the cache is under five feet of snow... :D:P

Do you still have that fever from scratching the PO too much? I've heard that a fever can release the creative juices. Any chance the Polar Bear PO helped you solve some of the Polar Bear's Insanity Caches?

The PO fever definitely released some juices but the less said about that the better... :D:D:D

I say this from the perspective of having done some winter caching in Colorado where I've arrived at GZ only to realize that the cache is under five feet of snow... :drama::D

Yeah, I admit it. I'm was an idiot... :drama:

The PO fever definitely released some juices but the less said about that the better... :D:drama::drama:

Photos please. Any worse that the TT elbow surgery?

By the way, when this Thread rolled over nobody posted the TT elbow shot. Wassup with that?

For everyones info:

FATTBOY is going in tommorrow to get a pace maker installed he'll be in the hospital for two days

Send him your best at FATTBOY if the link doesn't work his Email address is fatboystoy@hotmail.com

000201BB.gif

:D To whom it may Concern! :D

Its been one week since I've gotten my Pacemaker, The Doc. says to start moving more, So I went geocaching today!

I did 8 caches!

My heart seems fine, I FEEL GREAT!!!!!

Thanks for all the good wishes. Your'e all TRUE FRIENDS!!!!

:D:):ph34r::D:D:)

:D FATTBOY :D

For everyones info:

FATTBOY is going in tommorrow to get a pace maker installed he'll be in the hospital for two days

Send him your best at FATTBOY if the link doesn't work his Email address is fatboystoy@hotmail.com

000201BB.gif

Its been one week since I've gotten my Pacemaker, The Doc. says to start moving more, So I went geocaching today!

I did 8 caches!

:D:):ph34r::D:D:)

Bobby,

Janie and I were thrilled to see one of the log-entries you made today.

Exercise is really good for our hearts. Are you supposed to do jumping-

jacks when you need a faster pulse?

Harmon

For everyones info:

000201BB.gif

I did 8 caches!

:D:):ph34r::D:D:D

That's great news Bob! :)

For everyones info:

000201BB.gif

I did 8 caches!

:D:D:ph34r::D:D:)

:) FATTBOY :D

Welcome back!!! :D

Just FYI...

The following San Diego Parks are closed due to rain until further notice:

• Del Dios Highlands Preserve
  • Goodan Ranch/Sycamore Canyon Preserves
  • Hellhole Canyon Preserve
  • Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve -- Black Mountain Staging Area and the preserve trails are closed.
  • Santa Margarita Preserve
  • Santa Ysabel Preserve
  • Sweetwater Regional Park -- Area 17/Morrison Pond
  • Volcan Mountain Preserve
  • Wilderness Gardens Preserve

You can check at http://www.co.san-diego.ca.us/parks/news.html or call 877-565-3600 for updates.

Also Lusardi Creek remains closed due to the fires...

Alright, who made Demon666 mad? He is a recent cacher in the Southbay area and archived all his caches today citing "to much BS".

icon_disabled.gif February 1 by <A style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline" name=38437248>demon666 (84 found)

i was contacted by a Karen aka "Miragee that this was a bad place for my caches so am takeing them down sorry for the trouble.

[view this log on a separate page]

???????????????????

My email to him about the caches that were quite a distance off the trail in the area recovering from the fire was diplomatic. In fact, the first sentence commended him for his enthusiasm. I mentioned the "guideline" for caches in MTRP about having caches close to the trial, and then mentioned what happened out in ABDSP.

After he responded with a very curt email, I sent an apology, stating I had not meant my email to be taken as criticism, but if it sounded that way, I was sorry.

I had no idea he would react in such a way, nor "call me out" when I did not intend my email to be anything other than informative.

Sorry everybody . . . :lol:

My email to him about the caches that were quite a distance off the trail in the area recovering from the fire was diplomatic. In fact, the first sentence commended him for his enthusiasm. I mentioned the "guideline" for caches in MTRP about having caches close to the trial, and then mentioned what happened out in ABDSP.

After he responded with a very curt email, I sent an apology, stating I had not meant my email to be taken as criticism, but if it sounded that way, I was sorry.

I had no idea he would react in such a way, nor "call me out" when I did not intend my email to be anything other than informative.

Sorry everybody . . . :huh:

I remember that a geocacher got fined almost 200 bucks for getting caught off trail in MTRP a couple of years ago. A little constructive advice shouldn't have caused that kind of reaction.

I remember that a geocacher got fined almost 200 bucks for getting caught off trail in MTRP a couple of years ago. A little constructive advice shouldn't have caused that kind of reaction.

Currently no such rules apply for the San Miguel/Sweetwater area and there are multiple caches off the trails in that area. I know as some of them are mine. From what I have been hearing lately that could be changing soon. No caches or closer to trail caches. Since this is a National Wildlife Refuge land then I think the rules will be changed so that there is minimal impact on Wildlife. I love seeing the wildlife out in the area but don't mind seeing the occassional fake cactus, ammo can in the rocks or a small containter hanging in a bush.

:lol: Funny..we were talking about just that today in MTRP with Greasepot from Colorado..couldn't remember who paid the fine though. We saw lots of people off trail today...Rangers could have made a killing. MTRP was hopping....so many people and kids and dogs. The trailhead parking lot was overflowing. Sure is a popular place and with the rains all the little waterfalls are beautiful.

Edited by jahoadi and john

Hmm...at the risk of sounding dull, I must confess it never would have crossed my mind that there would be any problem hiking across the burned areas. I've already taken advantage of the easy off-path hiking after this fire, and I always did with previous fires in the area. Actually, it's really quite a lot of fun. If you know your way around the BLM and other public land, you can travel for miles without use of a trail. :huh: Damage? I figured, the whole place is already toasted, so how much damage could I do? There aren't any plants to trample. I really can't see the effects of my past actions.

Perhaps I need to rethink my next cache idea. I probably could have caused some grief.

:lol: Funny..we were talking about just that today in MTRP with Greasepot from Colorado..couldn't remember who paid the fine though. We saw lots of people off trail today...Rangers could have made a killing. MTRP was hopping....so many people and kids and dogs. The trailhead parking lot was overflowing. Sure is a popular place and with the rains all the little waterfalls are beautiful.

It was the guy that wrote posts like a pirate (I can't remember his name) but I haven't seen him post here for a long time....

It was the guy that wrote posts like a pirate (I can't remember his name) but I haven't seen him post here for a long time....

Barbados Sam???? He also had the Belly Timber and Belly Trimmer series. Great stories, fun themes, lots of humour in some of his hides.

Barbados Sam???? He also had the Belly Timber and Belly Trimmer series. Great stories, fun themes, lots of humour in some of his hides.

As I recall Barbados Sam got caught off trail right beside Fa. Junipero Serra Trail. I do believe he was over a guard-rail that had a clearly posted keep-out sign. That road is certainly the most likely spot to get busted because the rangers often drive through from the visitor center to the dam parking lot and to the campground. All in all there has been an incredible amount of MTRP Geocaching done with little ranger/USMC intervention. In truth there are very few hides that actually push the envelope as far as being placed off-trail but I ain't about t' name names.

One thing for sure, the many MTRP Geocaches have taken lots of hikers into seldom-visited areas. I recall an encounter with a trail-maintenance crew along the fifty-two and a woman ranger there said "Wow! I've never seen anybody hiking in the section of the park."

I was prepared to blame my presence on Cegrube if things turned ugly with that Ranger but she and I enjoyed some pleasant conversation. I just knew that she wanted to tell me that I was manly and handsome but her oath of office constrained our conversation. She was a looker, you know, except for the buck teeth and bangs.

Edited by SD Rowdies

As I recall Barbados Sam got caught off trail right beside Fa. Junipero Serra Trail. I do believe he was over a guard-rail that had a clearly posted keep-out sign. That road is certainly the most likely spot to get busted because the rangers often drive through from the visitor center to the dam parking lot and to the campground. All in all there has been an incredible amount of MTRP Geocaching done with little ranger/USMC intervention. In truth there are very few hides that actually push the envelope as far as being placed off-trail but I ain't about t' name names.

One thing for sure, the many MTRP Geocaches have taken lots of hikers into seldom-visited areas. I recall an encounter a trail-maintenance crew along the fifty-two and a woman ranger there said "Wow! I've never seen anybody hiking in the section of the park."

I was prepared to blame my presence on Cegrube if things turned ugly with that Ranger but she and I enjoyed some pleasant conversation. I just knew that she wanted to tell me that I was manly and handsome but her oath of office constrained our conversation. She was a looker, you know, except for the buck teeth and bangs.

:huh:

000201A5.gif

000201A5.gif

Dang! that's her but now with pigtails and braces.

Poor thang must have had a makeover in hopes

of meeting me once again along some lonely trail.

Waitaminute! Skillet, you beatin' my time with that

girl?

Edited by SD Rowdies

All in all there has been an incredible amount of MTRP Geocaching done with little ranger/USMC intervention.

Speaking of intervention, I dropped eight of the nine caches that were confiscated by the Marines. They're sprinkled from Oak Canyon to Spring Canyon to the Fortunas. :huh: The one cache I didn't take was an ammo can as I had no space for it in my pack! But, I have a nice spot in mind for it. Hope to submit them all for publication tonight. :lol:

Edited by Chuy!

Hope to submit them all for publication tonight. :huh:

Good luck with that. The site has been hosed all afternoon/evening...

It sure has been... I've been trying to submit an cache for approval that I hid here in Nevada and I finally gave up. :lol:

Got 8/9 submitted; just can't get that last one in...

All in all there has been an incredible amount of MTRP Geocaching done with little ranger/USMC intervention.

Speaking of intervention, I dropped eight of the nine caches that were confiscated by the Marines. They're sprinkled from Oak Canyon to Spring Canyon to the Fortunas. :lol: The one cache I didn't take was an ammo can as I had no space for it in my pack! But, I have a nice spot in mind for it. Hope to submit them all for publication tonight. :huh:

Whoohooo! I'm looking forward to hiking those trails again soon! :huh:

Probably won't be tomorrow though. Ms. LLOT seems to be under the weather... :huh:

Speaking of intervention, I dropped eight of the nine caches that were confiscated by the Marines. They're sprinkled from Oak Canyon to Spring Canyon to the Fortunas. :D The one cache I didn't take was an ammo can as I had no space for it in my pack! But, I have a nice spot in mind for it. Hope to submit them all for publication tonight. :D

Whoohooo! I'm looking forward to hiking those trails again soon! :blink:

Probably won't be tomorrow though. Ms. LLOT seems to be under the weather... :D

:cool: I would understand and let Jodi go get them if I was sick! :blink:

Is it me are is Geocaching.com slow. I can't get into my account. :blink::cool::blink:

The website is hosed. No new caches being published, and everything is slow or completely inaccessible...

They're looking for the pellets to feed the hamsters right now...

On the bright side at least the forums are working fine. 0002022F.gif

I thought the PQ's came from a different server, but I haven't received any today.

Edited by SKILLET

Is it me are is Geocaching.com slow. I can't get into my account. :blink::blink::cool:

The website is hosed. No new caches being published, and everything is slow or completely inaccessible...

They're looking for the pellets to feed the hamsters right now...

On the bright side at least the forums are working fine. 0002022F.gif

I thought the PQ's came from a different server, but I haven't received any today.

The site came back up a few minutes ago and is working great. ..now if that darn rain would go away so I don't have to watch a football game that I couldn't care less about.