The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

it was almost impossible to find 10 caches in a single day 5 years ago. :) I just noticed that 3 of us recently hit the 5 year barrier and RM is about to cross the 7 year barrier in May! B)

No you just had to work at it

I think it was Labor day weekend of 01 my then 7 year old Gson and I did 17 in one day in the OC

And 7 years in Feb

I found ~30 caches in my first 3 months, and I cached one day on every weekend. Now people find 30 in 3 hours. :grin:

Congrats on 7 years Vagabond! If you read the old logs, you'll notice that there aren't too many people still around that were caching 7 years ago. Even Tuna has faded away.

My first caches where in 2001. Does that make me an old timer, even though it was only about a dozen in that year and didn't log anything until 2003?

Sure it makes you an old timer. Why don't those 12 show up? Either you didn't log them or maybe you created a new account in 2003....

What the heck if you can remember them log them.

Sorry to hear about Tuna, another great cacher, maybe the business got to be to much for him

it was almost impossible to find 10 caches in a single day 5 years ago. :grin: I just noticed that 3 of us recently hit the 5 year barrier and RM is about to cross the 7 year barrier in May! B)

I think it was Labor day weekend of 01 my then 7 year old Gson and I did 17 in one day in the OC

And 7 years in Feb

I found ~30 caches in my first 3 months, and I cached one day on every weekend. Now people find 30 in 3 hours. :)

Congrats on 7 years Vagabond! If you read the old logs, you'll notice that there aren't too many people still around that were caching 7 years ago. Even Tuna has faded away.

My first caches where in 2001. Does that make me an old timer, even though it was only about a dozen in that year and didn't log anything until 2003?

Sure it makes you an old timer. Why don't those 12 show up? Either you didn't log them or maybe you created a new account in 2003....

What the heck if you can remember them log them.

Sorry to hear about Tuna, another great cacher, maybe the business got to be to much for him

I agree that Eric should log them. Why not?

What business? I think Tuna got into Birding.

Edited by TrailGators
Has anyone heard anything about this?

It's a move to free up some budget so they can put more manpower on the ABDSP cache removal project. :)

:o

SO AGITATING. I was checking the internet at 2PM for a press conference giving status on the SB 777 indoctrination referendum which took so much time away from geocaching and other fun activities over the holidays.... only to see this news just breaking and a partial list of the parks. Was wondering if ABDSP would be on the complete list knowing all the cache cleanup going on. I just want to get outside and get away from all this political nonsense... but you CAN'T.. it's everywhere!

MR. GREEN thinks he is going to open up healtcare to non citizens, outlaw my thermostat, charge me carbon credits for breathing while he jets all over the planet in his gulf stream, yet also had me driving all over the county spewing CO2 handing off these SB777 petitions and is now going to close the parks that are meant to keep some of California's treasures GREEN. Molokaff Diggin's for one??????? The whole purpose of that park was to preserve a place that was "nearly destroyed" by strip mining and one of the first environmental lawsuits in the country. What kind of precident will that set??? As a taxpayer and equity holder in these parks I demand some balance to all this nonsense and sure hope he doesn't plan to sell of the beach parking lots to build more strip malls.

Part of the fun of geocaching has been to explore the treasures closer to home BUT also to help understand all the twisted regulations before you go someplace new. This state park allows dogs, but only on developed roads or in the car. That State park doesn't even allow the smell of a dog to be in the car. Most National Parks allow dogs just in developed campgrounds, but ONE we've been to does allow them everywhere on trails and in water as long as they are leashed. This trail allows bikes but not dogs. That trail allows horses and dogs even off leash...but no bikes. My kids will like this trail... but that one will be too difficult. 4x4 okay here.. not there. Some guide books are usefull but the geocaching icons help find the info you are looking for fast.

Now more than ever this sport, before the nuts try to outlaw it, is going to be usefull to keep up with all the changing policies. Maybe better yet, we can use it to increase awareness of the importance of this place and start taking it back from our out of control politicians!!!!!!!!!!!. Sorry for my rant.......

Edited by blubuturflies

it was almost impossible to find 10 caches in a single day 5 years ago. :o I just noticed that 3 of us recently hit the 5 year barrier and RM is about to cross the 7 year barrier in May! :)

And 7 years in Feb

I found ~30 caches in my first 3 months, and I cached one day on every weekend. Now people find 30 in 3 hours. :)

Made a new Account in 2003, Me and a buddy went out and did them and he controlled the GPS. We never logged anything back during the first year and I could only log 2 as I pulled them from the account he made during that year.

it was almost impossible to find 10 caches in a single day 5 years ago. :o I just noticed that 3 of us recently hit the 5 year barrier and RM is about to cross the 7 year barrier in May! :)

And 7 years in Feb

Made a new Account in 2003, Me and a buddy went out and did them and he controlled the GPS. We never logged anything back during the first year and I could only log 2 as I pulled them from the account he made during that year.

Doncha miss the feel of a half-ream of printout paper in your hand while caching in the olden days?

Edited by SD Rowdies
Doncha miss the feel of a half-ream of printout paper in your hand while caching in the olden days?
I used to cut and paste the cache name, GC number, cache description and the hints for all the caches I was planning to do on to one piece of paper which I stuffed into my back pocket. It took me about half an hour to do that, so I was really happy when RM told me about PQs.

it was almost impossible to find 10 caches in a single day 5 years ago. :D I just noticed that 3 of us recently hit the 5 year barrier and RM is about to cross the 7 year barrier in May! :D

And 7 years in Feb

I found ~30 caches in my first 3 months, and I cached one day on every weekend. Now people find 30 in 3 hours. :D

Whatcha mean miss it?

I'm still doing itthat way. :D:D:D

it was almost impossible to find 10 caches in a single day 5 years ago. :D I just noticed that 3 of us recently hit the 5 year barrier and RM is about to cross the 7 year barrier in May! :D

And 7 years in Feb

I found ~30 caches in my first 3 months, and I cached one day on every weekend. Now people find 30 in 3 hours. :D

Whatcha mean miss it?

I'm still doing itthat way. :D:D:D

Ditto That!

I am still using the same GPS that I was using way back in the day. Hints? Messages? Maps? Color Screen? Pft, I think not! My GPS lets me know the first 8 letters of the cache and its location, the rest is carried out by lots and lots of print outs.

Edited by Eric and Hill

And 7 years in Feb

I dont miss the the paper one bit ........... Thanks to you Harmon........... I have never looked back.

The Palm Pilot can be your freind!!!

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

And 7 years in Feb

I dont miss the the paper one bit ........... Thanks to you Harmon........... I have never looked back.

The Palm Pilot can be your freind!!!

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

TEACHERS PET :D:D:D

From the November issue of wired magazine:

"Psst. Wanna Be a GPS Prankster? Here's How."

"Move a Geocache

Look up the locations of geocaches — packages stashed for GPS treasure hunts — and move them. Stake out the old spot and watch players go mad with frustration."

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/15-11/st_gps

Yeah, stake out an area for a week and watch a few people look for something that you moved. Don't people have better things to do?

-Tony

What a bunch of losers.... :D

Do you guys ever get really frustrated when you can't find a standard cache, or do you walk away and report a DNF? The only time I was really frustrated was when I was the first to the location of a newly posted cache and it wasn't there. It turns out it had gone missing (in Kit Carson Park) between the time of placement and when I got there. Usually I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

BTW, is anyone buying a Garmin Colorado or a Magellan Triton?

Parsa

From the November issue of wired magazine:

"Psst. Wanna Be a GPS Prankster? Here's How."

"Move a Geocache

Look up the locations of geocaches — packages stashed for GPS treasure hunts — and move them. Stake out the old spot and watch players go mad with frustration."

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/15-11/st_gps

Yeah, stake out an area for a week and watch a few people look for something that you moved. Don't people have better things to do?

-Tony

What a bunch of losers.... :D

Do you guys ever get really frustrated when you can't find a standard cache, or do you walk away and report a DNF? The only time I was really frustrated was when I was the first to the location of a newly posted cache and it wasn't there. It turns out it had gone missing (in Kit Carson Park) between the time of placement and when I got there. Usually I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

BTW, is anyone buying a Garmin Colorado or a Magellan Triton?

Parsa

I do both. I get frustrated (a little) and walk away and log a DNF. :D

I think Flagman is getting the new Colorado. We tried them out at the Vegas event and they are pretty nice.

And 7 years in Feb

I actually found caches in 2001 with my friend Travis (XSnoopy), but did not become "official" and registered until 2002. My first solo cache finds as a registered cacher were on Feb 9, 2002. So it will be 6 years in February. Lately, I've just been finding benchmarks. In fact I have a backlog. I guess I got burned out on all the Altoids tins under the light skirts. Now I'll only look if I'm hiking and want something to do along the way.

Parsa

BTW, my first caches were:

Jacks Pond

Barking Cache

Arroyo Vista #3

Arroyo Vista #4

Arroyo Vista #1

Arroyo Vista #2

P

Edited by Parsa
I actually found caches in 2001 with my friend Travis (XSnoopy), but did not become "official" and registered until 2002. My first solo cache finds as a registered cacher were on Feb 9, 2002. So it will be 6 years in February. Lately, I've just been finding benchmarks. In fact I have a backlog. I guess I got burned out on all the Altoids tins under the light skirts. Now I'll only look if I'm hiking and want something to do along the way. Parsa
Congrats on 6 years! I quit logging LPCs too. However when I was in Vegas, Flagman kept signing my name in those dang things... :D
I actually found caches in 2001 with my friend Travis (XSnoopy), but did not become "official" and registered until 2002. My first solo cache finds as a registered cacher were on Feb 9, 2002. So it will be 6 years in February. Lately, I've just been finding benchmarks. In fact I have a backlog. I guess I got burned out on all the Altoids tins under the light skirts. Now I'll only look if I'm hiking and want something to do along the way. Parsa
Congrats on 6 years! I quit logging LPCs too. However when I was in Vegas, Flagman kept signing my name in those dang things... :D

We tried to make him look under the skirt, but you know what kind of guy TG has become...

We tried to make him look under the skirt, but you know what kind of guy TG has become...
You're right FM, those single-legged skirts just don't do it for me anymore, but I've never grown tired of the two-legged variety... :D
Congrats on 6 years! I quit logging LPCs too. However when I was in Vegas, Flagman kept signing my name in those dang things... :P

You're right FM, those single-legged skirts just don't do it for me anymore, but I've never grown tired of the two-legged variety... :P

Who's an old timer? :unsure: My first find was in August of 2001 at Lake Miramar. It took me three years to find my first hundred. I've already found more than that this month (153 so far). And yes, some of them have been lampposts

Anyway did you know the reason people started putting table covers over tables is because women thought the sight of the table legs got men sexually aroused?

Harmon can probably still remember that huh, Harmon? :blink::blink::lol:

Edited by habu!

We spent today in the Dez, mainly to retrieve our caches in ABSP.

Out of the six we checked, four were not there, and we removed two of them that the rangers hadn't gotten to yet. Of the four that weren't there, we never received anything from the rangers that they took them.

I know some of you have had e-mails or notes on logs about that. So, FYI, yes ~ they are actively removing caches and not necessarily letting you know about it. :P

We spent the rest of the day in Ocotillo Wells finding all of the new caches that Skillet & Team Fatman relocated from ABSP, and thank them for the fun :unsure:

The Splashes :blink::blink:

Congrats on 6 years! I quit logging LPCs too. However when I was in Vegas, Flagman kept signing my name in those dang things... :P

You're right FM, those single-legged skirts just don't do it for me anymore, but I've never grown tired of the two-legged variety... :unsure:

Who's an old timer? :blink: My first find was in August of 2001 at Lake Miramar. It took me three years to find my first hundred. I've already found more than that this month (153 so far). And yes, some of them have been lampposts

Anyway did you know the reason people started putting table covers over tables is because women thought the sight of the table legs got men sexually aroused?

Harmon can probably still remember that huh, Harmon? :blink::lol::D

I can see that with the lamp in the movie A Christmas Story but a table leg? :P

leglamp1-1.thumbnail.jpg

You're right FM, those single-legged skirts just don't do it for me anymore, but I've never grown tired of the two-legged variety... :blink:

Who's an old timer? :blink: My first find was in August of 2001 at Lake Miramar. It took me three years to find my first hundred. I've already found more than that this month (153 so far). And yes, some of them have been lampposts

Harmon can probably still remember that huh, Harmon? :lol::DB)

I can see that with the lamp in the movie A Christmas Story but a table leg? :unsure:

leglamp1-1.thumbnail.jpg

Aroused? Whut does tha-ut mean?

So o.k., a true confession from Harmon ... my first arousal was at age

seven and it was caused by a religious ceremony. Watching a preacher

dip grown women into a creek at Easter was on my list of favorite things

to do. Their cotton sun-dresses had a lot to do with the spectacle. Yep,

dippin' th' women and receiving a chocolate Easter Bunny was how I saw

the light.

Bracketville, Texas in 1941 ... gimme that ol' time religion. :P

Edited by SD Rowdies

Out of the six we checked, four were not there, and we removed two of them that the rangers hadn't gotten to yet. Of the four that weren't there, we never received anything from the rangers that they took them.

I know some of you have had e-mails or notes on logs about that. So, FYI, yes ~ they are actively removing caches and not necessarily letting you know about it. :unsure:

We spent the rest of the day in Ocotillo Wells finding all of the new caches that Skillet & Team Fatman relocated from ABSP, and thank them for the fun :lol:

The Splashes :P:D

That is so rude! I don't understand why they did that. :P Why couldn't they have given cache owner's notice that their caches would be removed after a certain date, or letting cache owners know their cache had been removed and could be picked up at Park Headquarters or a Ranger Station.

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!! :blink:

I'm sorry about your stolen caches . . . :blink:

I know some of you have had e-mails or notes on logs about that. So, FYI, yes ~ they are actively removing caches and not necessarily letting you know about it. :unsure:

We spent the rest of the day in Ocotillo Wells finding all of the new caches that Skillet & Team Fatman relocated from ABSP, and thank them for the fun :lol:

That is so rude! I don't understand why they did that. :P Why couldn't they have given cache owner's notice that their caches would be removed after a certain date, or letting cache owners know their cache had been removed and could be picked up at Park Headquarters or a Ranger Station.

Arnold is planning some cuts ... start writing letters and making telephone calls.

The issue is their flagrant disregard for public relations. There's a Ranger that

doesn't understand his mission. Apprantley his head is starting to fit the shape

of his hat.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Not informing the cache owner is not only impolite and rude, it's also quite potentially destructive to the environment. If the cache is not disabled, people will hunt all over the place looking for the non-existent cache and will be much more likely to damage the neighboring habitat.

Parsa

I know some of you have had e-mails or notes on logs about that. So, FYI, yes ~ they are actively removing caches and not necessarily letting you know about it. :P

We spent the rest of the day in Ocotillo Wells finding all of the new caches that Skillet & Team Fatman relocated from ABSP, and thank them for the fun :unsure:

Me and SKILLET, got the ones that were on Old Kane Road, and then replaced them for the # series. Are those some of the missing one''s? Glad you enjoyed are hide's it was fun driving my truck making the hide's.

Yes, we all disagree with the approach taken by Supervisor Jorgensen. But please remember that there is a formal process underway to seek compromise of this situation and its probably not too productive to engage in a lot of bashing right now. As a group, we are a very reasonable bunch with great respect for the environment, and that will carry the day in the end...

Me and SKILLET, got the ones that were on Old Kane Road, and then replaced them for the # series. Are those some of the missing one''s? Glad you enjoyed are hide's it was fun driving my truck making the hide's.

No, those weren't the ones that were missing, they were mainly in the Blair Valley area and one in Plum Canyon. We did archive all of them about 3 weeks ago, hoping that they didn't already have them on their hit list so that we had time to go and pick them up. Hopefully with channels of communication opened up between our caching community and the park people, some kind of compromise will be reached.

We just wanted to give you a heads up in case you have a cache you might want to retrieve.

The Splashes

For everyones info:

FATTBOY is going in tommorrow to get a pace maker installed he'll be in the hospital for two days

Send him your best at FATTBOY if the link doesn't work his Email address is fatboystoy@hotmail.com

000201BB.gif

Thanks Skillet. If you talk to him or see him, tell him his caching family is wishing him the best. If he needs anything he can just let us know. r. JnJ

Edited by jahoadi and john
For everyones info:

FATTBOY is going in tommorrow to get a pace maker installed he'll be in the hospital for two days

Send him your best at FATTBOY if the link doesn't work his Email address is fatboystoy@hotmail.com

000201BB.gif

Thanks Skillet. If you talk to him or see him, tell him his caching family is wishing him the best. If he needs anything he can just let us know. r. JnJ

I received a return email right away. He said that he would take my advice and ask for a pacemaker with GPS capability.

Goldilocks of Baldy & Goldilocks has had a pacemaker for years now and gets along grand with it.

For everyones info:

000201BB.gif

I received a return email right away. He said that he would take my advice and ask for a pacemaker with GPS capability.

Goldilocks of Baldy & Goldilocks has had a pacemaker for years now and gets along grand with it.

;) Sent Bob a note and received a nice reply.

:ph34r: Also, my wife was reading her Woman's World magazine and told me there was something very familiar about a story in it. The whole story was about how a young man who sent his mother out to the cemetary to find a GPS cache and how he also sent his teacher there too.

It was labeled Romantic Fiction. It's interesting how geocaching is catching on. For you gals it's in Woman's World, January 14th. It's one of the magazines they sell at the checkout counter.

For everyones info:

000201BB.gif

Just talked to my son and he will be home weds. He goes in around noon and then stays the night. If I hear anything I'll post it here.

Skillet-

Thanks for the heads up. Email sent. Geckos are all pulling for a speedy recovery.

-Gecko Dad

Drove out to the desert yesterday to retrieve TG caches in ABDSP. Was fortunate to find the following five caches in place and in good shape with all original logs intact:

San Felipe Stage Station Overlook

Gecko Gulch - A Pack Rat's High Rise (our oldest in the area, original in place since November 2002)

View of Lizard Peak

The TR Violin Swag Cache

Gecko Gateway to Harper Flat

Will return to other areas of the park to retrieve remaining TG hides in coming weeks. Thanks to everyone who took the time to visit our caches.

-Gecko Dad

Jahoadi says she spotted a big cat at MTRP.

Jahoadi, can you elaborate more here; inquiring minds want to know. I was thinking of heading up Oak Canyon in the next couple of weeks. Where did you spot it? Did it make you go tinkle? :D Wait, maybe we don't want to know about the tinkling.

:huh: If it really scared her she might have...... :):D

But seriously Jodi, inquiring minds want to know what happened....

Edited by TrailGators

Jahoadi, can you elaborate more here; inquiring minds want to know. I was thinking of heading up Oak Canyon in the next couple of weeks. Where did you spot it? Did it make you go tinkle? :) Wait, maybe we don't want to know about the tinkling.

:huh: If it really scared her she might have...... :D

An MTRP deer herd hangs in the high brush that grows on the steep slopes of the northern section of Suycott Wash. One attraction is the year-round pond that's down below the eastbound lanes of Highway 52 as it climbs the hill heading into Santee. There's a wildlife-corridor/tunnel passing under Highway 52 somewhat east of the pond and within sight of TT's Nuisance No. 1 hide. There's a drainage grate in the highway median that opens into the tunnel. Of course one would expect an encounter near either Spring Canyon, Oak/Sheperd Canyon, or the wildlife tunnel. The recent sighting was apparently in or about Spring Canyon.

In past years a collared and tracked male Mountain Lion ranged between Sycamore Canyon and the western section of MTRP, the Suycott Wash mainly. It seems it had a mate in both locations. That's quite a while ago so no telling if its that animal or some new animal that was recently sighted. Of course the wildfires disturb habitat and cause abrupt changes in territorial interests.

Does anybody recall details about Cegrube's sighting some years back?

As to the details about tinkling, isn't that against park rules?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Jahoadi, can you elaborate more here; inquiring minds want to know. I was thinking of heading up Oak Canyon in the next couple of weeks. Where did you spot it? Did it make you go tinkle? :) Wait, maybe we don't want to know about the tinkling.

:huh: No kitty cat actually spotted by me. I was on a planned trail run to grab Kitty Kat Lips and Revegetation, but didn't get to the 52 overpass. A Ranger stopped me and said a MTN Lion was hanging out on the slope just before the 52. It had been there "for sometime now". I tried to convince him to let me just grab the cache that was at the base of the 52 bridge, but he basically said "lady that's where it's at". He said I was an "opportunity"..alone..running, etc etc. I've been called worse I guess. He did confirm that there are two known cats that live in the park. We all knew that and have all seen the tracks. Bummer for me 'cause now I don't dare to go running alone.

So...nothing has changed...just a confirmation that they do exist there.

Cegrube's encounter was at Hollenbeck, unless he had a second at MTRP I didn't hear about.

I don't recall any park rules against tinkling; I could be wrong. You certainly don't want to leave any paper behind; which grass is the softest, yet tough? :)

I prefer bark, or even clumps of dirt, but real men use cholla :huh:

Good gosh, how primative can y' get? Paperless-caching brought on this problem. In Trailgator's words about paperless caching "Now there's nothing left t' wipe with but your Palm."

As far as Cegrube and MTRP are concerned it would have been better for all of us, especially me, if the Hollenbeck Mountain Lion had eaten him. Of course I can understand the Mountain Lion's point of view on that meal.

Danged ol' Carl anyway, I see he's scored an MTRP cache several days ago.

Hi Carl!