The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Sorry to be off topic

There are geocaches very close to this event.

We can not make the show and must sell our tickets asap

these are face value. You pay what I paid

If you don't need these tell a friend Sorry for the spam

Van Halen tickets for the Dec 14th show at staples in LA

sec 108 row 17 seats 23&24 Great seats $340 for 2 seats

sec 108 ROW 4 seats 11-12 $170 each $340 for the pair

These are hard tickets.

I can accept cash and paypal. I can also overnight the tickets for $15,

OR meet you in person in Anaheim,Huntington Beach,Corona or some where in-between

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but isn't that scalping? Isn't it against forum guidlines to sell things here, anyway?

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but isn't that scalping? Isn't it against forum guidlines to sell things here, anyway?

Actually they are face value SO NO SCALPING, and these are our friend!

SORRY PLEASE DELETE IF NEEDED

OK BACK TO GEOCACHING

Edited by SlabyFam
Actually they are face value SO NO SCALPING, and these are our friend!

SORRY PLEASE DELETE IF NEEDED

OK BACK TO GEOCACHING

Nowadays they just scalp you when you buy the tickets. :D I like Van Halen but not that much. Zeppelin is touring again and people in England paid thousands for those tickets. One guy supposedly paid 80,000 british pounds ($160,000 USD). :D Edited by TrailGators

2044401045_b3346cbb28.jpg

"A GPSR with WiFi, Bluetooth, camera, 32GB Flash RAM, touch screen and buttons, on- and off-line browsing, and a special Geocaching Navigator style application for logging on and off line. The unit will also use a memory card so you can load maps and waypoints. All for $499 US."

It's nice that it has WiFi but I'd rather have one with EVDO or WCDMA. There just aren't enough WiFi access points in MTRP...

I'm a bit suspicious of the release date, though... April 1, 2008 :laughing:

"A GPSR with WiFi, Bluetooth, camera, 32GB Flash RAM, touch screen and buttons, on- and off-line browsing, and a special Geocaching Navigator style application for logging on and off line. The unit will also use a memory card so you can load maps and waypoints. All for $499 US."

It's nice that it has WiFi but I'd rather have one with EVDO or WCDMA. There just aren't enough WiFi access points in MTRP...

Add a phone and a PDA and I'd be down to one electronic device to lose periodically instead of three...

I'm a bit suspicious of the release date, though... April 1, 2008 :D

Add a phone and a PDA and I'd be down to one electronic device to lose periodically instead of three...

Or break periodically . . . :laughing:

0c7336c8-7b21-4efa-b38b-5c442c363ad4.jpg

Or break periodically . . . :D

Useful accessory for DNFs?

Edited by SD Rowdies

We will no longer be able to properly maintain our San Diego caches, and rather than leaving them to eventually become geo-litter, we will be picking them up next weekend, and archiving them. This will leave some openings for new caches--always a plus.

If anyone has any particular attachment to one of the caches, and would like to adopt it, email us and we'll do so.

Edited by Snake & Rooster
If anyone is going to be out in Anza Borrego near my Over The Edge cache I would appreciate some assistance with getting a geocoin into that cache. A cacher by the name of Over the Edge sent me a personal geocoin and they would really like to see it go into my Over the Edge cache. Let me know if you can help out and I can send it to you.

Thanks,

RocketMan

CTYankee9 has offered to get the coin out there sometime over the next month or so. Thanks a bunch for helping out. RM

So there is a guy that sits in the cubical across from me and I am always playing pranks on his office while he is out of town. So yesterday he called in sick, perfect time for a little holiday decorating. B) The last "big" prank I did was filling his entire cubical with 374 balloons.

christmas1pt6.jpg

christmas4bl0.jpg

:):)B) Nice job, Eric! Would you like to come and help me with my wrapping? B)B):)

:P Guess who John and I ran into at Lowe's????? The missing redstareg! We were pretty excited. He's just fine and got back in town for a few months...maybe we'll be able to get him caching again! :P

Who dat? :P

:P What I want to Know is : Why were you guys at Lowes?? You can not say hello to Sled Head there!! :P

:lol: Guess who John and I ran into at Lowe's????? The missing redstareg! We were pretty excited. He's just fine and got back in town for a few months...maybe we'll be able to get him caching again! :D

Who dat? :lol:

:D What I want to Know is : Why were you guys at Lowes?? You can not say hello to Sled Head there!! :laughing:

\

:blink: Sledhead...we just wanted to use the $10 coupon that "other" store sent us. We went to HD afterwards...but you weren't there AGAIN ( maybe 'cause it was Santee?)!

It's that time of year again to take in the double sunrise on Cowles Mountain that inspired Kumeyaay Solstice Sunrise. I ran up Cowles this morning for my traditional solstice outing and enjoyed nearly perfect conditions. Forecast is good for this weekend, too. The event only lasts a few seconds, starting about 6:52 am.

Unless you are a runner, I recommend starting up from the Navajo/Golfcrest trailhead around 6:00 am so you don't have to feel rushed. You may want to bring along a headlamp or flashlight for the lower part of the trail.

Both the San Diego Natural History Museum and the Mission Trails Regional Park folks host hikes for the sunrise so you will undoubtedly have company on the trail and at the solstice site. If you head up on Monday or Tuesday, you will likely have the event to yourself but it can be tricky to know where to stand to observe it.

Enjoy!

-GD

SDNHM participants this morning

cc349c56-f6cc-4452-80f8-42558ef72f9f.jpg

Shortly before sunrise (6:51 am)

3349394b-055b-45b1-9e5f-e5ce43df504f.jpg

A nearly perfect alignment (6:52 am)

359b035e-4f2d-4ad1-bcd2-a296c8305b23.jpg

Mount Helix and San Miguel Mountain (7:29 am)

2fdedb04-5a58-49f1-81a4-f14878ad811c.jpg

Saturday, 12/22/2007, 6:52 am.

A fine, clear, chilly morning provided another great double sunrise viewing opportunity near Kumeyaay Solstice Sunrise. True solstice was late evening on the 21st so today's sunrise event was actually closer to the southernmost rising of the year. Yesterday, an overnight rain scrubbed the skies. Today, there was a bit more particulate matter in the air which made for better visual observation of the double but the sun ray effects were no quite as sharp for photography. Here is a how it looked to those who showed up.

-GD

Another appreciate audience

ecd3244c-5d82-414d-9f8f-8b029631b144.jpg

Divided Sol

ee8dbca4-b8b6-4fc1-af16-80b142a6cfa6.jpg

Cowles Mountain shortly after sunrise

ebeda89b-a3f3-4bdc-a735-6279e3bad149.jpg

Switchback craziness

cf3c9dc1-8a0a-4715-aa24-c568eaf47c55.jpg

Sunday, 12/23/2007, 6:52 am.

Made it up for to the winter solstice sunrise site near Kumeyaay Solstice Sunrise for a third day in a row. Only three other parties were up there today, a marked contrast to Friday and especially Saturday. In most years, weather conditions often interfere with clear viewing to the horizon but a high pressure system after Thursday's storm is keeping the air clear.

I was a few yards south of a perfect alignment for these shots (remember, the sun has started moving back north).

-GD

Coronado Islands from solstice viewing site

d3c4aa98-8012-4508-86aa-c104e4325242.jpg

It won't be long now

0dc43e0d-54e6-47f2-9579-bf05ba790700.jpg

First rays

71ff9e05-337a-4a52-87f7-fed4b3d5a0f0.jpg

A few seconds later

732478d9-7277-4648-a683-c8eb21eba2e9.jpg

Hi all San Diego cachers.

My "temporary" stay in Singapore has just been extended indefinitely. I'm back in San Diego for a month trying to settle things here. The hardest part is trying to find a good active outdoor home for my sweet boxer dalmation geocaching dog. She's spent the last 4.5 years staying with a friend who can't keep her permanently. I could take her to Singapore, but I know she'll be much happier continuing her active hiking/geocaching life in San Diego than she would being an apartment/urban dog in Singapore.

She's 8 years old, but other than a little white around the muzzle she's not showing her age. She's an outdoor dog who's used to living in a fenced backyard and sleeping in a kennel in the garage. She's a sweet, lovable dog who's good with other dogs, cats and older children. She's a great hiking companion and she loves nothing better than going geocaching with me when I'm in San Diego.

Right now, she's living in San Diego Country Estates in Ramona. If any Ramona or other rural San Diego cachers or their friends have room in their yards and hearts for a wonderful doggie companion, please contact me.

Javamama

I want to wish EACH and Every Geocacher in San Diego (and Orange County, and Riverside County and even one in Yuma and just one in Colorado...) a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!! I hope Santa brings you all great swag! (if not there's always REI).

Let's hope we ALL get good cordinates for 2008!!!

Edited by habu!
Santa brought me a new Delorme Earthmate GPS PN-20, and I'm drooling over all cool maps, complete hints field, etc... Merry Xmas everyone!!

That looks like an interesting unit. You will have to let us know how it works out. I got a bunch of Trails Illustrated maps, the kind where you lay them out over the hood of the Jeep, pop open a beer and try to figure out where you are going. :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas from Colorado.

6:38 am.

I may have spotted Santa high above Cowles Mountain this Christmas morning, long before the Geckos were stirring to see what treats were left in their stockings. The northeasterly bearing seemed a sure giveaway. I may even have detected a "ho, ho, ho" and a blinking red light. Happy holidays, everyone.

-GD

Could this be Santa?

bbbc03d3-d0a1-48b4-896a-10d76a4d9f27.jpg

Four days after solstice

a95baddc-932c-4ebe-bb70-327c705736d7.jpg

Santa brought me a new Delorme Earthmate GPS PN-20, and I'm drooling over all cool maps, complete hints field, etc... Merry Xmas everyone!!

That looks like an interesting unit. You will have to let us know how it works out. I got a bunch of Trails Illustrated maps, the kind where you lay them out over the hood of the Jeep, pop open a beer and try to figure out where you are going. :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas from Colorado.

Sounds like a cool GPS Tom and cool maps Dave. ;) Edited by TrailGators

Waddaya mean "Geocaching?"

Get away from my fence you pervert!

d38d3b26-bc2f-4672-9d56-3ac6c5903351.jpg

Hope your holidays come out o.k. Clari-netacache.

Geeeesh !..... A guy can't even heed the call from nature without a shutter happy alpha person lurking around getting thread fodder. I wasn't able to cache here...it was so cold I had trouble locating my unit....oh well, remember, I did have surgery (thanks, Goldilocks, for the use of this line)

Waddaya mean "Geocaching?"

Get away from my fence you pervert!

d38d3b26-bc2f-4672-9d56-3ac6c5903351.jpg

Hope your holidays come out o.k. Clari-netacache.

Geeeesh !..... A guy can't even heed the call from nature without a shutter happy alpha person lurking around getting thread fodder. I wasn't able to cache here...it was so cold I had trouble locating my unit....oh well, remember, I did have surgery (thanks, Goldilocks, for the use of this line)

There must be a pill for a tiny unit Dave, as an ex-pharmacist you should know.

Looks like Geocaching as we know it in Anza Borrego Desert State Park is gone. The following log was placed on the upcoming "Squeeze" event cache page.

BUMMER!

By order of the:

Superintendent

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park

Colorado Desert District

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY

Numerous geocaches have been placed within the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park without authorization. No consideration was given to resource sensitivity in the placement of any of these geocaches, and many have been discovered in very sensitive locales. Caches have been removed from archeological sites, paleontological areas, bighorn sheep watering sites and in sensitive caves.

All physical geocaches placed within Anza-Borrego Desert State Park must be removed. If the cache owner does not take responsibility for removing his/her own cache, it will be removed for them and it will not be returned.

As of this date, December 21, 2007, placement of new physical caches will be prohibited in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. Virtual Earth Caches will be considered on a case by case basis and must be approved before being

published on the Geocaching.com website.

Contact information for Earth cache approval:

Mark C. Jorgensen

Superintendent

200 Palm Canyon Drive

Borrego Springs, CA 92004

It was fun while it lasted... :rolleyes:

Looks like Geocaching as we know it in Anza Borrego Desert State Park is gone. The following log was placed on the upcoming "Squeeze" event cache page.

BUMMER!

By order of the:

Superintendent

Colorado Desert District

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY

Numerous geocaches have been placed within the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park without authorization. No consideration was given to resource sensitivity in the placement of any of these geocaches, and many have been discovered in very sensitive locales. Caches have been removed from archeological sites, paleontological areas, bighorn sheep watering sites and in sensitive caves.

All physical geocaches placed within Anza-Borrego Desert State Park must be removed. If the cache owner does not take responsibility for removing his/her own cache, it will be removed for them and it will not be returned.

As of this date, December 21, 2007, placement of new physical caches will be prohibited in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. Virtual Earth Caches will be considered on a case by case basis and must be approved before being

published on the Geocaching.com website.

Contact information for Earth cache approval:

Mark C. Jorgensen

Superintendent

200 Palm Canyon Drive

Borrego Springs, CA 92004

It was fun while it lasted... :rolleyes:

How about if we just made all the caches in ABSP puzzles. If the rangers wanted to remove 'em, at least they would have something to do with their time...