The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

:lol:I'm going to take bragging rights on this one! :lol:

The Hunt For Red October could not get Marko Ramius out of the closet but mine did!

:lol: Check out the log for High Above Interstate 15 :D

Nevermind, I guess only cache owners can read archived logs for their own caches. :lol:

So what do you know that the rest of us have been dying to figure out? :blink:

Does he or doesn't he? :P

(Only his hairdresser knows for sure... B) )

I know I know! I had that cache on my watch list :lol:B)

;)I'm going to take bragging rights on this one! :D

The Hunt For Red October could not get Marko Ramius out of the closet but mine did!

;) Check out the log for High Above Interstate 15 ;)

Nevermind, I guess only cache owners can read archived logs for their own caches. ;)

So what do you know that the rest of us have been dying to figure out? ;)

Does he or doesn't he? ;)

(Only his hairdresser knows for sure... ;) )

Does he or doesn't he... wear anything under his kilt? :D

:DI'm going to take bragging rights on this one! :P

;) Check out the log for High Above Interstate 15 ;)

Nevermind, I guess only cache owners can read archived logs for their own caches. ;)

So what do you know that the rest of us have been dying to figure out? ;)

Does he or doesn't he? ;)

I know I know! I had that cache on my watch list ;):D

I knew that there was somebody else that seen that log! ;)

All I remember is that Marko had an "extreme" off road vehicle. I believe that he called it his Yellow September. Or was it his Pink Elephant? No.... That wasn't it either. Hmm, for some reason, I'm drawing a blank right now. :D

:PI'm going to take bragging rights on this one! :P

:ph34r: Check out the log for High Above Interstate 15 :cool:

Nevermind, I guess only cache owners can read archived logs for their own caches. :mad:

So what do you know that the rest of us have been dying to figure out? :cool:

Does he or doesn't he? :huh:

I know I know! I had that cache on my watch list :ph34r::cool:

I knew that there was somebody else that seen that log! <_<

All I remember is that Marko had an "extreme" off road vehicle. I believe that he called it his Yellow September. Or was it his Pink Elephant? No.... That wasn't it either. Hmm, for some reason, I'm drawing a blank right now. ;)

Hmmm...I saw an extreme off-road vehicle a week or so ago...the license plate said "Ramius"...

Coincidence...? I think not!

Unfortunately, it was gone before I could get a photograph of the driver...

:PI'm going to take bragging rights on this one! :P

:ph34r: Check out the log for High Above Interstate 15 :cool:

Nevermind, I guess only cache owners can read archived logs for their own caches. :mad:

So what do you know that the rest of us have been dying to figure out? :cool:

Does he or doesn't he? :huh:

I know I know! I had that cache on my watch list :ph34r::cool:

I knew that there was somebody else that seen that log! <_<

All I remember is that Marko had an "extreme" off road vehicle. I believe that he called it his Yellow September. Or was it his Pink Elephant? No.... That wasn't it either. Hmm, for some reason, I'm drawing a blank right now. ;)

Hmmm...I saw an extreme off-road vehicle a week or so ago...the license plate said "Ramius"...

Coincidence...? I think not!

Unfortunately, it was gone before I could get a photograph of the driver...

I can't read that log because I get this message: "You cannot read archived log entries." Edited by TrailGators
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! We have 17 people coming tomorrow. Hope you're all eating dinner with a houseful of cherished friends/family as well.

All the best,

PQCachers

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Two of my kids are home from college and Granddad is in town so it should be a fun day! Go Packers! ;)

Happy Thanksgiving from Eric and Hill as well. We are having 11 people over and I am choosing to cook a Mexican dinner instead of the traditional dinner. :D

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! We have 17 people coming tomorrow. Hope you're all eating dinner with a houseful of cherished friends/family as well.

All the best,

PQCachers

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Two of my kids are home from college and Granddad is in town so it should be a fun day! Go Packers! ;)

Happy Thanksgiving from Eric and Hill as well. We are having 11 people over and I am choosing to cook a Mexican dinner instead of the traditional dinner. :D

We had family visiting for the last two Thanksgivings so this year, we are blissfully just the two of us. We'll do all the ritual things -- assembling a jigsaw puzzle; listening to Arlo sing "Alice's Restaurant Massacree" and having our traditional Thanksgiving dinner consisting of two pies (one pumpkin and one pecan) and anything except turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Something funny that I got in my e-mail today: :):(:)

The bathtub test

During a visit to the mental asylum, a visitor asked the Director how do

you determine whether or not a patient should be institutionalized.

"Well," said the Director, "we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a

teaspoon, a teacup and a bucket to the patient and ask him or her to empty

the bathtub."

"Oh, I understand," said the visitor. "A normal person would use the

bucket because it's bigger than the spoon or the teacup."

"No." said the Director, "A normal person would pull the plug. Do you want

a bed near the window?"

:D :D :D

Changing the subject . . . :D

Fisnjack and I made a trip to Rancho Bernardo yesterday to find a couple of "Historic" caches. On the way, we stopped to find "Berry, Berry Close." We didn't even realize the canyon had burned when we started the short walk to the final. At GZ we found two containers . . . :D

c90db01f-fb5b-4633-9311-8d08929df1a9.jpg

Our "little" hike to "Old Glory Fletcher Point" and "Number One Son was about six miles long from a cul-de-sac on High Mesa. The ammo cans for both those caches survivied the firestorm. :)

On the way, we found the exposed and scorched container for "Mount Saint Michel. Poor thing got badly burned and the contents melted . . .

aa3a16c3-0ee5-4ef0-8357-98208a280142.jpg

Any other caches hidden in that park, unless they were in a rockpile, covered with rocks, probably didn't survive . . . :D

FYI. In case you missed it. It would be cool to have a San Diego family on the TV show! Who's gonna do it?! :D

Groundspeak received the following email. With their permission, here is the re-post. If you are interested, please contact Julia using the info below.

Greetings ~

My name is Julia Jenkins and I am a casting producer for ABC families hit

reality show 'Wife Swap.' We are currently casting for our fourth season and

we are looking for FAMILIES THAT HAVE A PASSION FOR GEOCACHING/TREASURE

HUNTING. We want to feature a family that lives and breathes adventure.

Families that appear on the show receive $20,000 as a thank you. And if you

refer a family that appears on the show you would receive $1000.

The premise of Wife Swap is simple: for seven days, two wives from two

different families with very different values exchange husbands, children

and lives (but not bedrooms) to discover what it's like to live a different

family's life. It's a fun social experiment and a great way to see your

family in a whole new light.

Here at 'Wife Swap' we look for a two-parent home with at least one child

between the ages of 6 and 17 living at home full time.

If you are interested, please email me and tell me a little about your

family and then I will be in touch. Or if you would like to refer a family,

please email me their contact information and I will be in touch.

Thanks!

--

Julia Jenkins

Associate Casting Producer

RDF Media USA

1790 Broadway 11th Floor,

NY, NY 10019

P: 646.747.7941

E: wifeswap.julia@gmail.com

Personally, I will be looking forward to the episode. :D

Anyone happen to know the status of Cedar Falls? Or Secret Canyon Trail?

The Witch Fire map on the Cleveland National Forest web page shows all of the San Diego River drainage east of Ramona (including Cedar Creek) as being closed.

The Descanso Fire map explicitly calls out Secret Canyon Trail as being closed.

Does anyone know anything different from this?

:anicute:

Nice photos Don.

Say, does anyone know a good local source for decon containers? I hate to pay the ebay $5.00+ price if I can find a better deal locally. Any suggestions? I could use 4 of them. Thanks everyone.

I recently ordered 20 Decon containers at $2 each. I recieved 25 containers. It must have been because of all the other stuff I added to the order (camp chairs, poncho's, etc). I seached on Yahoo for them.

Nice photos Don.

Say, does anyone know a good local source for decon containers? I hate to pay the ebay $5.00+ price if I can find a better deal locally. Any suggestions? I could use 4 of them. Thanks everyone.

The prices on this site look pretty good.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/

I have never bought from them, FYI.

If you get some will you pick me up those aviator goggles? :lol:

D!

Nice photos Don.

There's a whole bunch of them hanging from bushes over at Bear Valley Loop, off Pine Valley. :lol:

Nice photos Don.

The prices on this site look pretty good.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/

I have never bought from them, FYI.

If you get some will you pick me up those aviator goggles? :)

D!

Those Tank Track Pads looked pretty useful. <_<

Howdy, fellow SD Cachers,

I'm releasing a series of five GeoWoodstock5 Poker Geocoins in different caches, all headed towards the "Royal Flush" cache in Calgary to see if they can make a royal flush there. Some of them will be released here in America's Finest City, and a couple of others I'll take to the Wrong Coast over the holidays. The first one went into FlagMan's recently rejuvenated Hoyt Loop cache in Scripps Ranch today. You can search for them under "Trackables" with the phrase "Royal Flush Series", and of course you're welcome to just discover them for the icon if you like. Thanks for any northeasterly travel towards that yee-haw rodeo city on the prairie that anyone can give them!

Yep, it's that time of the year! The 3rd Annual Christmas Lights Geo-Walk is set for Saturday, December 8th. Hope to see you all there!

Robyn & Kathy of Team Reid :D

Don't forget about Saturday night! Come rain or shine, we will be there. If a little rain dampens your spirit, come anyway, stay in your car, sign the log, grab a few goodies, and drive the course! Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Robyn & Kathy :(

Ahrrmmm... I just want to set something straight here...

My oldest cub went to the movies today and saw 'The Golden Compass.' When he got home he was snickering and said "Daddy - there was a Polar Bear in the movie and he drank vodka and he got totally wasted..." :D

Now, that is *NOT* me so don't try to insinuate anything! :) That is cousin Thomas - twice removed; he always had a problem with "enough." I'm pretty sure this is his last acting gig... :(

Here is a sneak peek at the new Garmin GPS that is coming out early next year:

garmin_colorado_400.jpg

Engadget: "Well that didn't take long. The Garmin "Colorado" rumor we mentioned yesterday appears to be closer to a reality today. According to reports, the new device will be actually be called the Colorado 400 Bluechart GPS, and will sport a slew of new features, the biggest of which is the ability to display aerial photos and / or USGS topographical maps. Additionally, the new device (aimed at the marine market) will feature detailed, coastal US marine charts, a new "Rock 'N' Roller" input wheel, a 65,000 color 240 x 400 display, an SD card slot, 2-axis compass, an altimeter, temperature sensor, plus ANT Communications (wireless exchange of routes, tracks, waypoints, and geocaches between two units). No official word on whether this is actually available, but supposedly you can order it right now for $599.99."

There is more information here and and here. :unsure:

Edited by TrailGators

garmin_colorado_400.jpg

Engadget: "Well that didn't take long. The Garmin "Colorado" rumor we mentioned yesterday appears to be closer to a reality today. According to reports, the new device will be actually be called the Colorado 400 Bluechart GPS, and will sport a slew of new features, the biggest of which is the ability to display aerial photos and / or USGS topographical maps. Additionally, the new device (aimed at the marine market) will feature detailed, coastal US marine charts, a new "Rock 'N' Roller" input wheel, a 65,000 color 240 x 400 display, an SD card slot, 2-axis compass, an altimeter, temperature sensor, plus ANT Communications (wireless exchange of routes, tracks, waypoints, and geocaches between two units). No official word on whether this is actually available, but supposedly you can order it right now for $599.99."

Hmmmmm, does it work in California?!? :unsure:

garmin_colorado_400.jpg

Hmmmmm, does it work in California?!? :lol:

Before you start salivating too much, keep in mind that all that lucious aerial imagery comes as part of the BlueChart G2 map sets (professional grade maps intended for the professional mariner.) The list price for California from Point Arena to Puero Vallarta is $321... :lol: There are a lot of things I like about Garmin but the pricing of their map data is not one of them.

And by the way, there are no BlueChart map sets that contain Colorado... :unsure: Ironic, given the name of the product...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
Here is a sneak peek at the new Garmin GPS that is coming out early next year: Engadget: "Well that didn't take long. The Garmin "Colorado" rumor we mentioned yesterday appears to be closer to a reality today. According to reports, the new device will be actually be called the Colorado 400 Bluechart GPS, and will sport a slew of new features, the biggest of which is the ability to display aerial photos and / or USGS topographical maps. Additionally, the new device (aimed at the marine market) will feature detailed, coastal US marine charts, a new "Rock 'N' Roller" input wheel, a 65,000 color 240 x 400 display, an SD card slot, 2-axis compass, an altimeter, temperature sensor, plus ANT Communications (wireless exchange of routes, tracks, waypoints, and geocaches between two units). No official word on whether this is actually available, but supposedly you can order it right now for $599.99."

Hmmmmm, does it work in California?!? :unsure:

Before you start salivating too much, keep in mind that all that lucious aerial imagery comes as part of the BlueChart G2 map sets (professional grade maps intended for the professional mariner.) The list price for California from Point Arena to Puero Vallarta is $321... :lol: There are a lot of things I like about Garmin but the pricing of their map data is not one of them.

And by the way, there are no BlueChart map sets that contain Colorado... :lol: Ironic, given the name of the product...

I just found out about some free software on one of the other threads that allows Metroguide maps to autoroute. I might try it with my Garmin topo maps just to check it out. It would be cool to be able to route up dirt roads if this will work that way. :) Edited by TrailGators

For those interested this is Garmin's description of their new GPS.

Colorado™ 400t

1st Quarter, 2008 Part Number: 010-00622-45

Suggested Retail Price: $ 642.84 USD

Take on the trails with Colorado 400t. This rugged, advanced handheld is packed with detailed topographic maps for all your hiking adventures not to mention 3-D map view, a high-sensitivity receiver, barometric altimeter, electric compass, SD card slot, picture viewer and color display. Exchange tracks, waypoints and geocaches wirelessly between other "buddy" units. When the going gets tough, Colorado leads the way.

Explore Backcountry

Colorado's preloaded topographic maps, 3-D map view and a built-in worldwide basemap with shaded relief give you all the tools for serious climbing or hiking. Map detail includes national, state and local parks and forests, along with terrain contours, elevation information, trails, rivers, lakes and points of interest. Just in case you're wondering how steep that hill really is, Colorado's 3-D map view helps you visualize your surroundings — giving you a better perspective of the elevation.

Share Wirelessly

With Colorado 400t you can share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly with other Colorado users. Now you can send your favorite hike to your buddy to enjoy or the location of a cache to find. Sharing data is easy. Just select "send" to transfer your information to other Colorado units within a 3-meter range.

Rock on. Find Fun

Intuitive and fun, Colorado features a Rock 'n Roller input wheel for easy one-handed operation and supports Geocaching.com GPX files for downloading geocaches and detail straight to your unit. Even customize Colorado's interface based on your favorite activity. Slim, lightweight and waterproof, Colorado is the perfect companion for all your outdoor pursuits.

Keep Your Fix

With its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver, Colorado 400t locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its GPS location even in heavy cover and deep canyons. The advantage is clear — whether you're in deep woods or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on Colorado to help you find your way when you need it the most.

Get Your Bearings

Colorado 400t has a built-in electronic compass that provides bearing information even while you're standing still, and its barometric altimeter tracks changes in pressure to pinpoint your precise altitude. You can even use the altimeter to plot barometric pressure over time, which can help you keep an eye on changing weather conditions.

Plug in and Go

Adding maps is easier than ever with Colorado's SD card slot. Conveniently plug in optional preloaded SD cards with MapSource data for your land and sea excursions. Just insert a MapSource card with detailed street maps, and Colorado provides turn-by-turn directions to your destination. The card slot is located inside the waterproof battery compartment, so you don't have to worry about getting it wet.

Colorado 400t: One tough handheld for all your outdoor pursuits.

Colorado™ 400c

1st Quarter, 2008 Part Number: 010-00622-61

Whether you're sailing the high seas or hiking the backcountry, Colorado 400c is your all-in-one adventure guide. Preloaded with BlueChart g2 coastal charts, Colorado is made with the saltwater mariner in mind. Packed with features, it includes a high-sensitivity receiver, barometric altimeter, electric compass, SD card slot, color display, picture viewer and more. Even exchange tracks, waypoints and geocaches wirelessly between other "buddy" units. When the going gets tough, Colorado leads the way.

Explore Coastal Waters

Colorado comes with built-in U.S. coastal charts, 3-D map view and a worldwide basemap with shaded relief — perfect for all you outdoor pursuits. Map detail includes shoreline details, depth contours, boat ramps and mile markers for thousands of lakes in the continental U.S.

Share Wirelessly

With Colorado 400c you can share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly with other Colorado users. Now you can send your favorite hike to your buddy to enjoy or the location of a cache to find. Sharing data is easy. Just select "send" to transfer your information to other Colorado units within a 3-meter range.

Rock on. Find Fun

Intuitive and fun, Colorado features a Rock 'n Roller input wheel for easy one-handed operation and supports Geocaching.com GPX files for downloading geocaches and detail straight to your unit. Even customize Colorado's interface based on your favorite activity. Slim, lightweight and waterproof, Colorado is the perfect companion for all your outdoor pursuits.

Keep Your Fix

With its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver, Colorado 400c locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its GPS location even in heavy cover and deep canyons. The advantage is clear — whether you're in deep woods or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on Colorado to help you find your way when you need it the most.

Get Your Bearings

Colorado 400c has a built-in electronic compass that provides bearing information even while you're standing still, and its barometric altimeter tracks changes in pressure to pinpoint your precise altitude. You can even use the altimeter to plot barometric pressure over time, which can help you keep an eye on changing weather conditions.

Plug in and Go

Adding maps is easier than ever with Colorado's SD card slot. Conveniently plug in optional preloaded SD cards with MapSource data for your land and sea excursions. Just insert a MapSource card with detailed street maps, and Colorado provides turn-by-turn directions to your destination. The card slot is located inside the waterproof battery compartment, so you don't have to worry about getting it wet.

Colorado 400c: One tough handheld for all your outdoor pursuits.

Physical & Performance:

Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 2.4" x 5.5" x 1.4" (6.0 x 13.9 x 3.5 cm) Display size, WxH: 1.5"W x 2.5"H (3.8 x 6.3 cm); 3" diag (7.6 cm) Display resolution, WxH: 200 x 400 pixels Display type: TFT color display Weight: 7.3 oz (206.9 g) with batteries Battery: 2 AA or 2 NiMH batteries (not included) Battery life: 16 hours Waterproof: yes (IPX7) Floats: no High-sensitivity receiver: yes PC interface: USB RoHS version available: yes

Maps & Memory:

Basemap: yes Ability to add maps: yes Built-in memory: 384 MB Accepts data cards: SD card (not included) Waypoints/favorites: 1000 Routes: 50 Track log: 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks

Features:

Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): yes Electronic compass: yes Barometric altimeter: yes Geocaching mode: yes Outdoor GPS games: yes Hunt/fish calendar: yes Sun and moon information: yes Tide tables: no Area calculation: yes Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): yes Additional: Picture viewer: yes

3D map view: yes (with mapping software)

Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units): yes

Colorado™ 400t

1st Quarter, 2008 Part Number: 010-00622-45

Take on the trails with Colorado 400t. This rugged, advanced handheld is packed with detailed topographic maps for all your hiking adventures not to mention 3-D map view, a high-sensitivity receiver, barometric altimeter, electric compass, SD card slot, picture viewer and color display.

Colorado™ 400c

1st Quarter, 2008 Part Number: 010-00622-61

Whether you're sailing the high seas or hiking the backcountry, Colorado 400c is your all-in-one adventure guide. Preloaded with BlueChart g2 coastal charts, Colorado is made with the saltwater mariner in mind.

From what I've been reading, there is also supposed to be an "Inland" version (Colorado 400i?) as well...

I'm very curious about what maps are included in the 400c. If it truly includes (which it might) the full set of G2 coastal maps, that'd be about $1300 worth of maps (at their aftermarket list price). All for the low low price of $600 and a free GPSr thrown in... Seems to me that Garmin could be charging a lot less for their maps... :D

By comparison, the Topo version contains only about $950 of map data (at the Garmin aftermarket list price).

Sorry to be off topic

There are geocaches very close to this event.

We can not make the show and must sell our tickets asap

these are face value. You pay what I paid

If you don't need these tell a friend Sorry for the spam

Van Halen tickets for the Dec 14th show at staples in LA

sec 108 row 17 seats 23&24 Great seats $340 for 2 seats

sec 108 ROW 4 seats 11-12 $170 each $340 for the pair

These are hard tickets.

I can accept cash and paypal. I can also overnight the tickets for $15,

OR meet you in person in Anaheim,Huntington Beach,Corona or some where in-between

Shadowizard@yahoo.com