The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I just noticed that Tombmaker is now a member of team !. Tombmaker! When will there finally be two members of team " ". I need to email my son, armynate. Probably Armynate! by the end of the week.

Very interesting! I still have not received my 'application' for team !! :D

Maybe you submitted your request to the wrong team. Shouldn't you be part of team ? ?

That's funny! ;)

I just noticed that Tombmaker is now a member of team !. Tombmaker! When will there finally be two members of team " ". I need to email my son, armynate. Probably Armynate! by the end of the week.

Very interesting! I still have not received my 'application' for team !! :D

Maybe you submitted your request to the wrong team. Shouldn't you be part of team ? ?

That's funny! ;)

Hmm.. Team Adelos? or Adelos? :)

OK, so we will take up a collection at the Nomex v. Ramius event on Saturday. Bring your spare items (and from personal experience, I can recommend gift cards from places like Target, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, shopping centers, etc.) and we will make sure they get to them...

Great idea Tom! The event is a great place to collect things.

Paul

Since we are on the subject, has there been any word of other cachers that lost their home?

Anyone heard the latest from Eric and Hill? Hill's folks lost their place in RB. See Post #12301.

OK, so we will take up a collection at the Nomex v. Ramius event on Saturday. Bring your spare items (and from personal experience, I can recommend gift cards from places like Target, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, shopping centers, etc.) and we will make sure they get to them...

Great idea Tom! The event is a great place to collect things.

Paul

Since we are on the subject, has there been any word of other cachers that lost their home?

Anyone heard the latest from Eric and Hill? Hill's folks lost their place in RB. See Post #12301.

Currently Hill's parents are being taken very good care of by the insurance. They are living in "Corperate aparments" for the next year or two. We have adopted their Yellow Labrador as they could not take their pets with them into the apartments. All is going well, its just going to be a couple of years before they are back in an actual house again. Here are some Before/After pictures of their home that where taken by news reporters.

KC_fire278810x162.jpg

KC_fire278810x131.jpg

Edited by Eric and Hill

I finally got the auction listed for Luke and Laura.

Coin Auction

I talked with them today, and they are doing better. They lived in the hardest hit area of Fallbrook. Coincidentally, the friends they are staying with during the rebuilding process are my parents neighbors!

So, I can help get them anything that is donated.

Thanks, Dave. I heard from them as well, and they welcome any donations that people want to make. As mentioned earlier, we will be accepting them at the Nomex vs. Ramius event on Saturday.

Coin Auction

I talked with them today, and they are doing better. They lived in the hardest hit area of Fallbrook. Coincidentally, the friends they are staying with during the rebuilding process are my parents neighbors!

Thanks, Dave. I heard from them as well, and they welcome any donations that people want to make. As mentioned earlier, we will be accepting them at the Nomex vs. Ramius event on Saturday.

Thanks Tom! That's what I was referring to. If you need any help getting the stuff there, let me know. They are going to rent a storage unit to store any larger items that get donated. They obviously can't keep it all in the 5th wheel, but they will need it when they get back to their own place. I can find room for the dryer here in Escondido if they don't get the unit ready by the time the dryer arrives...if you don't have any place to keep it.

I walked down to "Canyon View" this afternoon to see how badly burned the Hollenbeck area is. The top area I could see from the road is completely scorched. Except for one or two trees, the olive grove up there burned completely. :lol:

At the cache site, all I found as I sifted through the ash was two hooks for a bungee cord that had been in the container . . . :D

I will not have a phone at my house for the next two weeks, so I consequently do not have access to the Internet without driving down to the RSD library, where I am now. I am thankful the power was restored so quickly enabling me to move back home.

My heart goes out to Luke and Laura and the others who lost their homes. I'll see what I have at my house that I can bring to the Event tomorrow night.

As of October 30, 2007

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[...]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[...]

San Dieguito River Park Trail Closures[/size]

• Piedras Pintadas Trail - Lake Hodges Area
  • Highland Valley Trail - Lake Hodges Area
  • North Shore Lake Hodges - Lake Hodges Area
  • Clevenger Canyon / San Pasqual South
  • Clevenger Canyon / San Pasqual North
  • Mule Hill Historical / San Pasqual Valley Agricultural Trail

San Diego County Park Closures

• Del Dios Highlands
  • Hellhole Canyon
  • Lusardi Creek
  • Palomar Mtn.
  • Potrero
  • Simon

Missing from this list is Blue Sky Preserve (since it is not administered by any of the aforementioned agencies...) So I sent them a ping...

Hi James

Unfortunately, Blue Sky fared very badly. The fire ripped through the canyon taking with it all plant life on the hillsides, many of our beautiful trees, and all of the understory. It will be closed for some time, but it will reopen - plants, trees and wildlife, will return. We are working hard to assess the stability of trees and hillsides, particularly.

Annie

Hello everyone-

I recently got back from 4 weeks in Ukraine and Russia. I took my Garmin Vista Cx to grab some caches. Whenever I turned it on, it wouldn't get satellite reception. In Moscow I even tried it 50 km outside the city, in an open field. Along the Volga River, I stood for over 5 minutes waiting for satellite reception. I saw the GPS searching and searching and searching and maybe it grabbed one or two. Couldn't tell for sure.

I have no problem in US. Is there something I should be doing?

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers to all who may have lost their home, most especially, to the kids (big and small) who have been so badly frightened by this fire storm.

Hello everyone-

I recently got back from 4 weeks in Ukraine and Russia. I took my Garmin Vista Cx to grab some caches. Whenever I turned it on, it wouldn't get satellite reception. In Moscow I even tried it 50 km outside the city, in an open field. Along the Volga River, I stood for over 5 minutes waiting for satellite reception. I saw the GPS searching and searching and searching and maybe it grabbed one or two. Couldn't tell for sure.

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers to all who may have lost their home, most especially, to the kids (big and small) who have been so badly frightened by this fire storm.

It (your GPSr) remembers your last position and begins looking for the sats it "thinks" will be there based on that position. You can tell the GPS to begin a new search from scratch. Or you can simply wait, and wait and eventually, it will find your position. I've had to do that after flying from CA to the east coast, and Rooster had the same problem when she was in Europe.

Thanks. How to I tell it to begin a "New Search"? I thought I played around with all the buttons, but I must have missed that part. Thanks for the help. I'll be going back in that direction in March and want to have it all figured out. Karen

From the Satellites page hit the menu button, choose "New Location", then hit "Automatic".

D!

Hello everyone-

It (your GPSr) remembers your last position and begins looking for the sats it "thinks" will be there based on that position. You can tell the GPS to begin a new search from scratch. Or you can simply wait, and wait and eventually, it will find your position. I've had to do that after flying from CA to the east coast, and Rooster had the same problem when she was in Europe.

In the old days, before GPSrs could remember where they were, it could anywhere between 12 and 20 minutes to acquire a position. If you move thousands of miles, you effectively recreate what it was like in the old days. If you can tell the GPSr roughly where you are, you can shorten the search time considerably.

Need some help with Google Earth KML.

I can't access G.E. KML.

This is the error message:

C:\Documents and Settings\Nick Ponce\My Documents\GeocachingnetworkKML.kml

Invalid menu handle

I tried everything I know to do. Cleaned out temp. internet files, re set cache, cleaned disk. deleted G.E. and reinstalled, same error message. :D

Now it time to ask the "experts". :D

Thanks..

Nick

I can't access G.E. KML.

Invalid menu handle

I tried everything I know to do. Cleaned out temp. internet files, re set cache, cleaned disk. deleted G.E. and reinstalled, same error message. :D

Now it time to ask the "experts". :D

Thanks..

Nick

Are you using GoogleEarth Tweaker?

Google Earth Tweaker download

I can't access G.E. KML.

Invalid menu handle

I tried everything I know to do. Cleaned out temp. internet files, re set cache, cleaned disk. deleted G.E. and reinstalled, same error message. :blink:

Now it time to ask the "experts". :)

Thanks..

Nick

Are you using GoogleEarth Tweaker?

Google Earth Tweaker download

No, I am not a Twealer 'er using GE Tweaker.

Wonder if this would help my situation with the error.

Nick

I made a visit to the Hollenbeck Canyon area yesterday to check on the status of some of my caches. My ammo cans survived; other containers did not take the heat very well . . . :rolleyes:

I posted lots of pictures on my blog and wrote a bit of boring text to accompany them in case you are interested.

This is all that was left of one of "lostguy"'s caches: :D

df7ec931-d824-4058-a727-dd8ae3c910dd.jpg

and this is all that was left of Chuy!'s and "lostguy"'s "No Boundaries." :rolleyes:

9702fad9-77d5-4d29-8d9b-709f9a88e7db.jpg

It got really, really hot in parts of Jamul Creek Canyon.

478d8a02-a9db-446e-ba7e-2076fc142711.jpg

Does anyone know what the temperature has to get to for the ash to turn white like that?

I made a visit to the Hollenbeck Canyon area yesterday to check on the status of some of my caches. My ammo cans survived; other containers did not take the heat very well . . . :rolleyes:

I posted lots of pictures on my blog and wrote a bit of boring text to accompany them in case you are interested.

This is all that was left of one of "lostguy"'s caches: :D

df7ec931-d824-4058-a727-dd8ae3c910dd.jpg

and this is all that was left of Chuy!'s and "lostguy"'s "No Boundaries." :rolleyes:

9702fad9-77d5-4d29-8d9b-709f9a88e7db.jpg

It got really, really hot in parts of Jamul Creek Canyon.

478d8a02-a9db-446e-ba7e-2076fc142711.jpg

Does anyone know what the temperature has to get to for the ash to turn white like that?

I used the self cleaning feature of my oven and according to the manual the temperature of the oven gets up to 900 degrees Fahrenheit in order to turn the yuck into the white ashes that is created by the high temperature. So, with that I would have to say at least 900 degrees F.

Now I'm talking a little above my head but I believe the temperature probably wasn't that different from location to location. The intensity of the flame was probably what caused the white ash. In other words the temperature was the same throughout the fire, this spot just had a more balanced level of fuel and oxygen allowing more of the fuel (wood, grass, etc.) to burn. Also the plant type burning would also make a difference.

Sorry for that I was an engineer.:D

Now I'm talking a little above my head but I believe the temperature probably wasn't that different from location to location. The intensity of the flame was probably what caused the white ash. In other words the temperature was the same throughout the fire, this spot just had a more balanced level of fuel and oxygen allowing more of the fuel (wood, grass, etc.) to burn. Also the plant type burning would also make a difference.

Sorry for that I was an engineer. :D

0002014F.gif so does that mean a wild fire burns at 900 degrees ?

I've read that wood burns between 900 and 1100 degrees. Again depending on wood type. Sap content and whatever other chemicals trees may carry can vary that temp. A cool link on it is wood burning principles.

The point at which paper and wood begins to combust is 451°F...

It can (and will given the chance) burn much hotter than that (as described in the aforementioned "cool" link.)

Honk if you know the literary reference mentioned above...

I've read that wood burns between 900 and 1100 degrees. Again depending on wood type. Sap content and whatever other chemicals trees may carry can vary that temp. A cool link on it is wood burning principles.

It can (and will given the chance) burn much hotter than that (as described in the aforementioned "cool" link.)

Ray Bradbury?

Ray Bradbury?

fahrenheit_451.jpg

Ray Bradbury?

fahrenheit_451.jpg

Wow! such well educated people. Must be nice to be so smart.

Me, I just spent the day with Sandy putting together and making

another run to Miramar landfill. How smart is that?

Mr. Ramius just shut down goblingirl's new cache in Del Cerro park, mentioning something about a HOA, and stating "I don't want anyone to experience what occurred several years ago in this park.'

This sounds juicy! What happened several years ago? :(

Mr. Ramius just shut down goblingirl's new cache in Del Cerro park, mentioning something about a HOA, and stating "I don't want anyone to experience what occurred several years ago in this park.'

This sounds juicy! What happened several years ago? :(

He dropped his pants in front of a family from Belarus.

The family was having a picnic at the park.

Marko Ramius, that commie-pinko reviewer guy, was

born in Belarus and lived next door to the family from

Belarus that was having a picnic at the park.

He wasn't wearing underwear.

Any questions?

Edited by SD Rowdies

This sounds juicy! What happened several years ago? :huh:

Take a look at the logs on this archived cache: treehugger

Also, page 77 of the San Diego Thread at Post 3819 tells a bit of the tale...

Edited by FlagMan

I can't check that log right now because we are temporarily not allowed on the site. I got this message:

Site access is currently only available to administrator and reviewer accounts

edit: tag repair.

Edited by Moose Mob

I can't check that log right now because we are temporarily not allowed on the site. I got this message:

Try it again from this post or my original post (but not from the links on TG's post)

Try it again from this post or my original post (but not from the links on TG's post)

Sorry to be a pain but now I get "You cannot see logs for unpublished listings."
I looks like the cache was not only archived, but retracted completely!
The plot thickens! :huh:

Oh, well, I guess it is just as well that the whole thing is forgotten. Suffice it to say, a woman who had some position of authority over the park mistook cachers for vagrants and falsely accused us of all kinds of mischief. She threatened to have us all arrested if we ever again set foot in the park. This message was delivered to me because she found my card in the cache...

The plot thickens! :huh:

Oh, well, I guess it is just as well that the whole thing is forgotten. Suffice it to say, a woman who had some position of authority over the park mistook cachers for vagrants and falsely accused us of all kinds of mischief. She threatened to have us all arrested if we ever again set foot in the park. This message was delivered to me because she found my card in the cache...

Wasn't this the cache that TucsconThompson had a run-in with the homeowner that abuts the park nearest the cache?

The plot thickens! :blink:

Wasn't this the cache that TucsconThompson had a run-in with the homeowner that abuts the park nearest the cache?

Same one... The neighbor had put dog poop in the cache... And the cache was a Girl Scout project...

Edited by FlagMan

Hey guys! As you know, the World Wide Flash Mob is happening THIS Saturday at Belmont Park, Mission Beach. We have 83 flash mobs coordinated with OURS, all around the world!

Sandy and I could use a few more hands / help. The jobs are small, simple and FAST (of course it’s a FLASH mob after all! )

The WWFM volunteers are meeting at a “secret” spot, some time before the event to strategize, ‘cause once the event rolls, there won’t be any time for directions. It’ll be a well choreographed event!

If you’re interested in lending a helping hand, please write us at podcacher@gmail.com and we’ll get back to you with the “inside scoop”.

Thanks!!!

Coin Auction

Just wanted to follow up with a great big THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to the Luke and Laura fund by either buying raffle tickets at the Nomex vs. Ramius event or sending me donations. We raised over $700 plus a boatload of gift cards in various denominations. I met Luke at the SRHS football game last Friday, and he and Laura are blown away by the generosity of the caching community. You are all awesome!

Edited by FlagMan

Coin Auction

Just wanted to follow up with a great big THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to the Luke and Laura fund by either buying raffle tickets at the Nomex vs. Ramius event or sending me donations. We raised over $700 plus a boatload of gift cards in various denominations. I met Luke at the SRHS football game last Friday, and he and Laura are blown away by the generosity of the caching community. You are all awesome!

:blink:

Today I walked up to where A Piece of Cake cache was and found the ammo can jammed between a burnt rock and large burnt tree branch. The papers inside were scorched and all the toys were melted together and stuck to the can making it unuseable. Flagmans signature card and the log book survived. There was a TB that was scorched also. The area had been bulldozed when they fixed the utility pole so the rock the ammo can is sitting on in the picture was uncovered then and not burned.

6f67c476-e2e6-427c-80e0-a75d348e61c0.jpg

Just curiosity but did anyone around here get one of those Diabetes Geocoins yet? I requested one but nothing arrived as of yet. My son (armynate) requested one, received one and placed it in one of his caches near Barstow. I feel left out. Maybe I should have posted this in the Whiners Thread.

I haven't gotten one either. But there are quite a few out there already -- go to the trackables page and search on "WDD 2007" and it will display 100 of them (which I think is the maximum it'll display; presumably there are a lot more already activated).

So I guess if I want the icon I'll just have to go out and actually find one of these coins. Uh....where is Barstow,anyway? :)

:lol:I'm going to take bragging rights on this one! :lol:

The Hunt For Red October could not get Marko Ramius out of the closet but mine did!

:lol: Check out the log for High Above Interstate 15 B)

Nevermind, I guess only cache owners can read archived logs for their own caches. :lol:

So what do you know that the rest of us have been dying to figure out? :blink:

Does he or doesn't he? :lol:

(Only his hairdresser knows for sure... :P )