The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

It will also help keep that pinko commie rat, Marko busy.
Why I oughta! Do rats have long memories? If you had ever actually seen me (which I am quite certain that none of you have), you would know that I much more resemble the elephant than the rat...

Ah hah! Marko is a commie pinko elephant!

That explains this photo of some cachers trying to get their caches approved...

pink_elephant_1987.jpg

Now THAT's what I'm talking about! LLOT, you just earned yourself one free proximity guideline waiver...

I stopped by and checked on Toby's Gang's and finkbr's houses while I was out and about. There were no open doors/windows on the front or sides of the houses.

I also stopped by 3 of my coworkers houses as well. I found 2 of them at home and 1 of them had fled. The coworker who fled left a couple animals in his yard (large lizard and some geese) and one of the other coworkers said he will go drop off some food later today. My coworkers and their families. One of the coworkers had two kids that had their property burn in the fire. They only lost a barn and plants though (no houses).

The navy is at 7-11 in Ramona passing out bottled water. If you know anyone still in this area that needs water, let them know.

Why I oughta! Do rats have long memories? If you had ever actually seen me (which I am quite certain that none of you have), you would know that I much more resemble the elephant than the rat...

pink_elephant_1987.jpg

Now THAT's what I'm talking about! LLOT, you just earned yourself one free proximity guideline waiver...

It looks like a good portion of my caches are gone. I think we should archive all the burnt caches, put out new ones and then save them until right before the Nomex vs. Ramius event. That way we can set back and watch them sweat. :huh:

Has anyone heard from Miragee. I see that she hasn't logged onto the website since 10/21. Hopefully all is well.

Yes...I'm really worried about Karen. Has Ian or Jack heard from her? Jack doesn't read forums, but Ian does so hopefully he'll let us know. I'm still not allowed back home, but the house appears ok via binoculars. ( I'll need a good window washer though..anyone got a good name?) r/ jodi

Has anyone heard from Miragee. I see that she hasn't logged onto the website since 10/21. Hopefully all is well.

Yes...I'm really worried about Karen. Has Ian or Jack heard from her? Jack doesn't read forums, but Ian does so hopefully he'll let us know. I'm still not allowed back home, but the house appears ok via binoculars. ( I'll need a good window washer though..anyone got a good name?) r/ jodi

Jodi if you need help washing windows, then I will turn myself into a window washer and be at your beck and call. Certainly am glad to see that your house is fine. P.S. Don't let my wife know that I do windows.

I haven't heard from her either, I have been calling and emailing, but no response as of yet. Kinda worried, but I am sure she is allright. It seems though as the current line of fire is right in the neighborhood of her home. Has anyone seen her in any of the evacuation locations, I would think she would be at the Steele Canyon one or in the El Cajon area ones? Just called Jack and the last time he talked with her was on Monday.

I just got back to my house. The fire came right up to the edge of our cul-de-sac but no houses were burned. I think the golf course saved us. We were evacuated Sunday night at around 2AM. From what I understand the Witch Creek fire raced the entire length of San Pasqual Valley and crossed the 15 in less than 3 hours that night. Unbelievable. We saw the eerie glow of the fire in the distance as we headed up the 78 on our way out. We went to a friends house that night and they were evacuated the next morning. Then we went to another friends and they were evacuated the next afternoon. They we went farther away to another friends house in San Marcos and lasted there the rest of the time. I really hope everyone is fine but I know that many are not.... :huh:

Edited by TrailGators
Spotted this quote in an article about the fires. Interesting concept if you have an answering machine in the house - presuming the phone lines are still alive in the area.

"I called my home and my answering machine still works, so that's how I know we're OK," said Rancho Bernardo resident Fuli Du, who packed his belongings Wednesday preparing to leave Qualcomm.
That's what we did - called our answering machine every few hours! Good thing we didn't go with voice mail! :lol:

:huh: We also have tried calling our answering machine....... It has been a busy tone for two days. So it can give a false indiction of something worse then it is. :huh:

All too true. During the 2000 Cerro Grande fire (Los Alamos, NM), we had been calling the house of a friend of ours. This house was on a canyon surrounded by ponderosa and would have been the first in that part of town to go. Just about the time that we figured that the fire was going to get there, the answering machine stopped responding and we figured the house was gone. Fortunately, it was just that the power had gone out.

Yeah, I tried calling my Parents' place in Jamul (Deersprings, on Honey Springs road). So did they. It stopped ringing at all midday on Monday, and only went straight to voicemail. Still, it could be the lines.

Getting several pictures of their neighbors' homes up in flames, but so far no picture of their home, which was probably situated in among the worst of locations. No one knows if it's still standing.

Spotted this quote in an article about the fires. Interesting concept if you have an answering machine in the house - presuming the phone lines are still alive in the area.

"I called my home and my answering machine still works, so that's how I know we're OK," said Rancho Bernardo resident Fuli Du, who packed his belongings Wednesday preparing to leave Qualcomm.
That's what we did - called our answering machine every few hours! Good thing we didn't go with voice mail! :lol:

:huh: We also have tried calling our answering machine....... It has been a busy tone for two days. So it can give a false indiction of something worse then it is. :huh:

All too true. During the 2000 Cerro Grande fire (Los Alamos, NM), we had been calling the house of a friend of ours. This house was on a canyon surrounded by ponderosa and would have been the first in that part of town to go. Just about the time that we figured that the fire was going to get there, the answering machine stopped responding and we figured the house was gone. Fortunately, it was just that the power had gone out.

Yeah, I tried calling my Parents' place in Jamul (Deersprings, on Honey Springs road). So did they. It stopped ringing at all midday on Monday, and only went straight to voicemail. Still, it could be the lines.

Getting several pictures of their neighbors' homes up in flames, but so far no picture of their home, which was probably situated in among the worst of locations. No one knows if it's still standing.

We did the same thing with my parents and my sister's answering machines at their homes in RB near Mule Hill. One just rang and rang and the other had an odd busy signal. We have since found out both homes are safe.

Just got back from Disneyland :lol: . Sorry, don't mean to rub it in for all you stranded :huh: , but as I mentioned before, when you got little ones, you need to boost morale. They're off school all week and all they hear on TV is the fire devastation - and mom and dad talking about it as well.

Short lines, clear skies - can't ask for much more.

We went up the 15 to 91 to 55. Only bad part was an accident 10 miles south of 91 on the 15. We returned via I5 south and had clear skies all the way. Camp Pendleton, east of i5, is still burning, but the winds are blowing east along this corridor. We saw lots of traffic on I5 northbound and didn't see a checkpoint as was mentioned this morning.

pink_elephant_1987.jpg

Thanks Richard for looking! I tell ya, if they ever give the evacuation order again, I am not going. pointless that they are keeping us out at this point!

Any Ramona cachers able to get home yet. the news is doing a POOR job of reporting on anything useful to us ramona people who were evacuated Sunday and still not home! Looks like TrailGators is home, if your home, how did you get there? I want to get back soon!

No kidding. I'm getting sick of this too. If they're keeping us out because of contaminated water, so what! We never drink it anyway. We always use bottled water.

Maybe we need to storm the gates.

Any Ramona cachers able to get home yet. the news is doing a POOR job of reporting on anything useful to us ramona people who were evacuated Sunday and still not home! Looks like TrailGators is home, if your home, how did you get there? I want to get back soon!

No kidding. I'm getting sick of this too. If they're keeping us out because of contaminated water, so what! We never drink it anyway. We always use bottled water.

Maybe we need to storm the gates.

I heard on TV that the main reason is because the water levels and pressure is too low to fight any fires should a new one occurr. "It would be irresponsible if we let people back in and we could not protect them". That was from the OES interview.

Hi all . . .

I am here, staying with my friend Rita, crashing on the floor of a house in La Mesa where her son rents a room. I stayed at my place until Tuesday, a day after the Mandatory Evacuation order was given. So far, my place has been saved, but according to the map on cbs8.com, the Harris fire is very close. My place is just west of "Four corners" in Jamul.

My friend's place off Honey Springs was saved . . . but only because her husband walked in after they closed Highway 94 and Honey Springs. He activiely fought the fire as it burned nearly everything around their property . . .

Looks like when I have more time I have lots of caches to Disable . . . :huh:

Thanks for all your concern.

Hi all . . .

I am here, staying with my friend Rita, crashing on the floor of a house in La Mesa where her son rents a room. I stayed at my place until Tuesday, a day after the Mandatory Evacuation order was given. So far, my place has been saved, but according to the map on cbs8.com, the Harris fire is very close. My place is just west of "Four corners" in Jamul.

My friend's place off Honey Springs was saved . . . but only because her husband walked in after they closed Highway 94 and Honey Springs. He activiely fought the fire as it burned nearly everything around their property . . .

Thanks for checking in. We were all worried about you! Glad to see you are OK and your house (so far) is still there....

Hi all . . .

GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU!

SlabyFam

Hi all . . .

Thanks for checking in. We were all worried about you! Glad to see you are OK and your house (so far) is still there....

Ditto! I'm glad to hear that you and everyone else checking in are all OK. It's amazing how the fire hits some areas and misses others. I just drove around our neighborhood and the fire burned all the hills around our entire neighborhood but didn't burn any houses. It looks like we had seven fire trucks assigned to us. The firemen are eating breakfast down at the clubhouse right now. They did an awesome job! :lol: Edited by TrailGators

Hi all . . .

Weare so glad to know you're safe, Karen!!

We just wanted to extend our thoughts and prayers to everyone - we've been very lucky thus far. Please let us know if we can do anything for anyone.

Bill and Laurie

Hi all . . .

GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU!

SlabyFam

Glad to see everyone checking in.. and safe. Has anyone heard about anyone loosing their home?

TA

Hi all . . .

Looks like when I have more time I have lots of caches to Disable . . . :(

GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU!

SlabyFam

Glad to see everyone checking in.. and safe. Has anyone heard about anyone loosing their home?

TA

I haven't heard about any cachers losing their homes but we know some muggles that did. :(

From the UT blog:

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Scripps Ranch fire survivors to help

Posted @ 9:51 AM

Scripps Ranch residents who lost homes in the 2003 Cedar fire say they want to "pay forward" the help they got four years ago.

They are holding an organizational meeting at 6 p.m. tonight at Marshall Middle School.

At the meeting, Cedar Fire survivors will present opportunities to help in the upcoming rebuilding efforts. In 2003, Scripps Ranch got advice and assistance from people in Pasadena, Laguna Hills, and Oakland Hills.

For more information, contact Bob Ilko at (858) 243-1235 or

srilko4@aol.com

-- Jen Steele, staff writer

How are the Senior Sleuthes? They lived in that neighborhood in RB that was hit hard by the Witch Creek fire....

Their house is standing and they are fine. I believe the fire came right to their property but last I talked to Sally they hadn't been allowed back in to check on their trees, etc.

How are the Senior Sleuthes? They lived in that neighborhood in RB that was hit hard by the Witch Creek fire....

Their house is standing and they are fine. I believe the fire came right to their property but last I talked to Sally they hadn't been allowed back in to check on their trees, etc.

Scroll back on this thread and there is a message from Sally...it looks as if they will have a lot of cache maintainance to do but their house is OK.

Ramona evacuation order lifted

Posted @ 7:36 PM

Ramona residents will be allowed to return to their homes as of 7:15 p.m. via the following routes of reentry only:

Highway 67 from Poway

Highway 78 from Julian

-- Sherry Saavedra, staff writer

:( Jodi still can't go home to check things out. There are still fire turcks up Millar Ranch road. They may just be there protecting the crews trying to restore power. A neighbor snuck in and is watching things. We do believe the danger has passed for us and our house and new, never used garage are ok. :( Now, to find ourt about Miragee's place....
Glad to hear that your house is OK John. Also glad to hear the Ramona folks can go home. :laughing:

From the UT blog:

Scripps Ranch fire survivors to help

Posted @ 9:51 AM

Scripps Ranch residents who lost homes in the 2003 Cedar fire say they want to "pay forward" the help they got four years ago.

They are holding an organizational meeting at 6 p.m. tonight at Marshall Middle School.

At the meeting, Cedar Fire survivors will present opportunities to help in the upcoming rebuilding efforts. In 2003, Scripps Ranch got advice and assistance from people in Pasadena, Laguna Hills, and Oakland Hills.

For more information, contact Bob Ilko at (858) 243-1235 or

srilko4@aol.com

-- Jen Steele, staff writer

Just came back from the meeting. I'd be happy to coordinate any assistance from cachers with the larger effort of Project Phoenix (formed after the Cedar Fire and still kicking). There are already 10 committees ranging from Insurance, Demolition and Restoration, Mental Health, Food and Clothing, Public Safety, etc. There are people organizing teens to mentor teens, gift bags for kids and adults, etc., etc., etc. If anyone wants to help in any specific way, just let me know and I can put you in touch with the Committee Chairs who are spearheading similar efforts. Or you can just go to the Project Phoenix Website and check out what they have there. It hasn't been updated yet from the meeting, but I suspect it will be soon. Or just contact Bob Ilko using the contact information in the quoted text from Parsa's message, above.

Edited by FlagMan

It's going to be interesting to see whether my cache Not a Lightskirt in Sight survived. It seems to be right on the border of the burn area southwest of Dulzura. Still, I disabled it due to fire dangers. The way in would be dangerous.

M-249 was pretty close to the point of origin up here. The feds went through the area with a fine-toothed comb yesterday, looking for clues. Now that's double-jeopardy. I don't think the owner needs to check on this one to know that it's gone.

Don't forget to bring your solar showers to Ramona. No water at all.

No problem there. We have all our camping gear and our pool to fill the toilets.

I'm also buying water in Chula Vista because it will probably scarce in Ramona for a while.

They heavily restocked all the stores on water and at the moment you can get some water free at the Community Center off of 5th (went by tonight and got a case).

Thanks for the information on the meeting Tom. We looked and the site has not been updated yet but we are definitely going to help in any way we can.

So glad to hear that our caching community is doing ok. And we send love and light to those who are hurting from this. Through this I must say that it has been deeply touching to see everyone out there come together and offer support during this time of crisis. It speaks loudly of the human spirit and the hearts natural reaction to reach out and connect when there is no time to 'think' about it. There is no desire to know what ones beliefs, life choices, or affiliations are. Prejudice and judgement has no place then. The innate instinct to connect, comfort and console each other comes alive.

That is truly a beautiful thing.

The Slaby's

Thanks for the information on the meeting Tom. We looked and the site has not been updated yet but we are definitely going to help in any way we can.

So glad to hear that our caching community is doing ok. And we send love and light to those who are hurting from this. Through this I must say that it has been deeply touching to see everyone out there come together and offer support during this time of crisis. It speaks loudly of the human spirit and the hearts natural reaction to reach out and connect when there is no time to 'think' about it. There is no desire to know what ones beliefs, life choices, or affiliations are. Prejudice and judgement has no place then. The innate instinct to connect, comfort and console each other comes alive.

That is truly a beautiful thing.

The Slaby's

Nicely put.

Just got the following e-mail and thought it might be of interest:

We were fortunate enough to be able to host the KIDS KORPS FREE

STORE for fire victims in the MULTI PURPOSE ROOM of CREEKSIDE

ELEMENTARY ON SATURDAY (NOT SUNDAY). You will be able to drop off

donation items at any of the homes listed below, or at the school

directly located at:

12362 Springhurst Dr

San Diego, CA

We will open doors at 6:00 am on Saturday morning. We will begin

the ³FREE STORE² at 9:00am.

Please focus your donations of items in good condition on the fire

victims who need to set up a new rental home.

For example:

Dishes

Baking supplies

Flatware

Clothing

Halloween costumes!

School supplies

Sports supplies: cleats, bats, helmets etc.

If you have items that you would like to donate, but cannot get them

to us, please contact Jill Reilly at 518-6315

Just got the following e-mail and thought it might be of interest:

We were fortunate enough to be able to host the KIDS KORPS FREE

STORE for fire victims in the MULTI PURPOSE ROOM of CREEKSIDE

ELEMENTARY ON SATURDAY (NOT SUNDAY). You will be able to drop off

donation items at any of the homes listed below, or at the school

directly located at:

12362 Springhurst Dr

San Diego, CA

We will open doors at 6:00 am on Saturday morning. We will begin

the ³FREE STORE² at 9:00am.

Please focus your donations of items in good condition on the fire

victims who need to set up a new rental home.

For example:

Dishes

Baking supplies

Flatware

Clothing

Halloween costumes!

School supplies

Sports supplies: cleats, bats, helmets etc.

If you have items that you would like to donate, but cannot get them

to us, please contact Jill Reilly at 518-6315

Thanks, Tom! I sent this to everyone in my address book. Dave will circulate it around work, too. Keep us posted!

Thanks for the info Tom. We are gathering clothes for the 14 families (that we know of so far) that lost their homes that attend San Pasqual Union school where my wife works. A lot of these families lived in the Bandy Canyon area and had very little time to evacuate. It's great to see everyone helping these folks! :)

From the November issue of wired magazine:

"Psst. Wanna Be a GPS Prankster? Here’s How."

"Move a Geocache

Look up the locations of geocaches — packages stashed for GPS treasure hunts — and move them. Stake out the old spot and watch players go mad with frustration."

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/15-11/st_gps

Yeah, stake out an area for a week and watch a few people look for something that you moved. Don't people have better things to do?

-Tony

From the November issue of wired magazine:

"Psst. Wanna Be a GPS Prankster? Here's How."

"Move a Geocache

Look up the locations of geocaches — packages stashed for GPS treasure hunts — and move them. Stake out the old spot and watch players go mad with frustration."

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/15-11/st_gps

Yeah, stake out an area for a week and watch a few people look for something that you moved. Don't people have better things to do?

-Tony

What a bunch of losers.... :D