The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

WoooHoooooooooo!! Scripps Ranch residents are allowed back in!!! Mayor Sanders just announced it!!!

Also, Del Mar residents who live South of Via de la Valle, West of I-5 and North of Torrey Pines State Beach are allowed back in...

It's also shown on the .KML firemap that was revised at 12:30.

Also, the leg of the fire perimeter that looked like it had burned south to Poway Road has been revised back and now the southern most edge of the perimeter is at Lake Poway...

We are probably going to be heading back soon.

Where is the KML fire map?

We are now back at home... :)

The easiest way to get the KML map is to go to KPBS, click on the "Interactive Map" link. When that comes up, click on "KML" to bring up the map overlaid on top of Google Earth.

WoooHoooooooooo!! Scripps Ranch residents are allowed back in!!! Mayor Sanders just announced it!!!

Also, Del Mar residents who live South of Via de la Valle, West of I-5 and North of Torrey Pines State Beach are allowed back in...

It's also shown on the .KML firemap that was revised at 12:30.

Also, the leg of the fire perimeter that looked like it had burned south to Poway Road has been revised back and now the southern most edge of the perimeter is at Lake Poway...

We are probably going to be heading back soon.

Where is the KML fire map?

We are now back at home... :)

The easiest way to get the KML map is to go to KPBS, click on the "Interactive Map" link. When that comes up, click on "KML" to bring up the map overlaid on top of Google Earth.

I tried the one kml Google Earth set and the dang thing was so slow I had to restart the computer. The data wouldn't load anyway. Their Google map is the one that loaded when I clicked on "Interactive Map", not the Google Earth map. The Google Maps page loads fairly quickly.

I finally have chance to check the forums and see how everyone else is doing. Some good, some not so good. This is crazy.

We got the mandatory evac notice and left Ramona via the Hwy 67 parking lot. What a mess. We finally got to the Walmart parking lot about 2:30 AM where we spent the rest of the night with a bunch of other evacuees.

Now we’re in Chula Vista at my parents house wishing we could get back home. All the roads into Ramona are still closed and now with the water problems I don’t know when we’ll get back.

At first I thought it was strange they gave us the mandatory evac notice but then I heard that with the wind and fire direction they thought it was going to burn right through the middle of town. It’s always better to be safe then sorry.

It looks like we’re going to be ok, I just hope everyone else will be too.

I just saw film footage that appeared to be (and was described as being) of Millar Ranch Road, and all the houses seemed intact, with helicopters dumping water on the hot spots. The fire was all up and down the hillside, but from what I could see, no houses lost. Let's hope I'm right about this...

New from SD County Emergency:

"10-23-07 3:26 p.m. Mandatory Evacuation Ramona to Lakeside. A mandatory evacuation notice has been issued for the Hwy 67 Corridor from Ramona to Lakeside.

"Evacuation Order North Jamul. A mandatory evacuation has been ordered for an area bordered by the Sweetwater River on the north, Lawson Creek on the East and Lyons Valley Road on the south including the community of North Jamul. Evacuees are advised to go to Qualcomm Stadium."

There is also a new PDF map on the site (big!):

http://www.sdcountyemergency.com/

and the KPBS fire map was therefore updated.

Channel Eight was showing footage taken from Miller Ranch Road. I haven't been able to tell if J&J's house is still there. The fire is burning to the east and there are several homes that are being threatened.

James, this is John, how di I look at that feed???

Theyve moved on to other coverage. Your best bet might be www.cbs8.com

I don't know if this will help, but 10 news has a live feed.

http://www.10news.com/video/14036255/index.html

Channel Eight was showing footage taken from Miller Ranch Road. I haven't been able to tell if J&J's house is still there. The fire is burning to the east and there are several homes that are being threatened.

Saw the same thing. They showed the house with the long steep concrete drive and then they panned to a house that was painted green. The helo just made a drop to a hot spot in front of the green house. All the other houses lookd ok and Cal Fire was on scene.

Thanks James and Jerry, I have more to look at now and read (I can't get a hold of Jodi right now and at last word, the fire had been really close and may have burned a couple of houses on our street.) Thanks for all your updates Parsa (sorry, I forgot your first name!!)

John

Steve... but I've had people call me "Steve Parsa" and "Parsa Varner." Hehe.

Saw the same thing. They showed the house with the long steep concrete drive and then they panned to a house that was painted green. The helo just made a drop to a hot spot in front of the green house. All the other houses lookd ok and Cal Fire was on scene.

:) Great, I can throw a stone and hit both of those houses from ours..... We are at the mercy of the great firefighters both on the ground and in the air. :)

Pardon my intrusion, I came in here, because I have an aquaintance in San Diego, and I wanted to keep an eye on the news through your eyes. May I make a suggestion to anyone who isn't in the fire area, not to click on the links posted here to the emergency websites if you don't really need to? Leave them open for the people who do need it. Earlier today I clicked on one, and it was down due to overload, so I quickly closed the window. I'll go back to the trackable forums now. Good luck to all of you, you are in my thoughts.

Poomacha fire and Ramona area from UT blog:

The Poomacha Fire is now 23,000 acres and heading for Mt. Palomar.

The evacuation order for Ramona still remains in effect. Residents are advised to stay out of the area. The fire is quite active in the Highland Valley and Mt. Woodson areas.

I just saw a breaking new report on SignOnSanDiego.com: BREAKING NEWS: A mandatory evacuation notice has been issued for the Hwy 67 Corridor from Ramona to Lakeside.

That doesn't bode well for Poway and Scripps Ranch residents. We're reevaluating whether or not to head back tonight...

:) Great, I can throw a stone and hit both of those houses from ours..... We are at the mercy of the great firefighters both on the ground and in the air. :)

I've got the footage saved on TiVo and I've gone back to look at it. There are structures on the ridge beyond the green house that all look like they are intact. I did not see any structures on fire or any burned out structures. The helo shot shows just how good these guys are. They nailed the hotspot.

LLOT. Check your TIVO about the green house.

I actually noticed that smoke when I saw it the first time. To me, it looked like it was part of the smoke that was coming up the hill. I could be wrong though.

I've gone back and looked again -- it still looks to me as if it is the smoke coming up the hill.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

The SoCal Review Queue has been unusually quiet the last couple days, especially in San Diego. Is something going on down there?

Read the thread, you pinko commie!

Good job Tom - gotta keep those publishers in check!! :)

[/quote

That darn Ramius!!! An approver called Krypton from N. Cal approved our 3 new caches in the dez!

In the reviewers notes I wrote some goofy stuff aimed at the Pinko and then had to e-mail Krypton and tell him to ignore that stuff ,it wasn't meant for him! :) Maybe Krypton should be invited to the 'fastest reviewer' contest with Nomex and Ramuis!

Splashette :lol:

I just saw a breaking new report on SignOnSanDiego.com: BREAKING NEWS: A mandatory evacuation notice has been issued for the Hwy 67 Corridor from Ramona to Lakeside.

That doesn't bode well for Poway and Scripps Ranch residents. We're reevaluating whether or not to head back tonight...

For what it's worth, the wind here at the house is 5-10mph out of the WNW! That would mean that there is probably not a threat from the 67. On the other hand, it's not so good if the Del Dios part of the fire doubles back...

News on Rancho San Diego

" Rancho San Diego alert was meant for Jamul

Posted @ 5:01 PM

The Mandatory Evacuation notice sent earlier was for the "Jamul" area of Hwy 94 at Campo Road, East of Jamacha Road, traveling into Jamul.

The mandatory evacuation is not for the Rancho San Diego area.

This notice is being sent on behalf of the San Miguel Fire Protection District and Heartland Fire Communications.

*Apparently the Reverse 9-1-1 system was not able narrow it down to the Jamul section and included the Rancho San Diego area."

I actually noticed that smoke when I saw it the first time. To me, it looked like it was part of the smoke that was coming up the hill. I could be wrong though.

I've gone back and looked again -- it still looks to me as if it is the smoke coming up the hill.

They've just show more footage from Miller Ranch Road. They said that there 20 or so houses that were threatened and though they didn't quite say it, they seemed to indicate that all are ok. It did look like every house had its own private fire truck.

OK, yeah, now they are supposed to evacuate...

"In Rancho San Diego, the following areas are under mandatory evacuation:

"From Del Rio Road EAST to Steele Canyon Road.

"From Fury Lane SOUTH to Millar Ranch Road and Millar Anita Road.

Residents should evacuate to Qualcomm Stadium."

They've just show more footage from Miller Ranch Road. They said that there 20 or so houses that were threatened and though they didn't quite say it, they seemed to indicate that all are ok. It did look like every house had its own private fire truck.

OK, now they have confirmed it. All twenty houses up there were saved! :)

There are still hot spots and there are still trucks up there keeping any eye on things but it sounds like the worst is over...

There are still hot spots and there are still trucks up there keeping any eye on things but it sounds like the worst is over...

Great news!

:):) Great news! :):lol:

Wow! I heard about the CA fires this AM on the radio, but only just realized they're in San Diego...

I hope all you guys are doing OK. J&J, hope all is well with your house, sounds like you're in the clear though, which is great news. I don't know where the others live that I met when I was out there (Miragee, DuganRM, GoBolts, Chuy, Habu and the rest) but I hope all turns out well for everyone. I can't imagine what that must be like. My thoughts & prayers are with you all.

Stay safe!

-Doug

Julian and Carlsbad:

10-23-07 5:55 p.m. Alert Issued for Julian. Residents of Julian are being advised to prepare to evacuate.

Evacuation Order Lifted for City of Carlsbad. Carlsbad has lifted the voluntary evacuation advisory for the City of Carlsbad, south of Palomar Airport road. There are no mandatory or voluntary evacuation orders in effect for the City of Carlsbad.

Edited by Parsa

Evacuation Order Lifted for City of Carlsbad. Carlsbad has lifted the voluntary evacuation advisory for the City of Carlsbad, south of Palomar Airport road. There are no mandatory or voluntary evacuation orders in effect for the City of Carlsbad.

Yeah! Now it is OK for me to still be at home! Thanks for the good news Varner Parsteve!

Yeah! Now it is OK for me to still be at home! Thanks for the good news Varner Parsteve!

Hehe. :)

Here you go Tom:

" Chabad serving kosher meals

Posted @ 6:08 PM

Chabad Hebrew Academy and Chabad of SD County will be serving 5,000 hot kosher meals at their just re-opened campus in Scripps Ranch to all returning evacuees and emergency officials.

All are invited from 6:30 - 9:00 PM this evening at the Chabad Educational Center 10785 Pomerado Rd. Scripps Ranch 92131

Chabad's 27 acre campus was destroyed in the Cedar Fire. "

Palomar Mountain

Two reports:

From UT blog site:

Posted @ 5:17 PM

The Poomacha fire, which started as house fire on La Jolla Indian Reservation, is burning up South Grade Road on Palomar Mountain.

Firefighters are setting backfires and making a stand at State Park Road, near the top of the mountain, to prevent the fire from reaching homes on Crestline and elsewhere up the mountain.

The Palomar Mountain Store is at State Park Road, where it intersects with South Grade.

-- Jim Okerblom

From a UT blogger:

"Regarding Palomar Mountain:

I spoke to my parents who live on the mountain (they evacuated at the first call at 4am this morning) - they have heard that the fire is at the summit, and is approaching Crestline.

Hopefully there is sufficient personnel there to fight this fire and save the homes on Crestline and throughout the summit of the mountain."