The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Brown Field (Harris Fire)

"Voluntary evacuations may be taking place in an area near Brown Field as the Harris fire continues to advance. The area covered by the advisory is from Alta Road west to Interstate 805 and from the U.S.-Mexico border north to Main Street, said Lee Swanson, a spokesman with the San Diego Fire Department."

Parts of Valley Center have been evacuated. Friends of our on Mac Tan got a reverse 911 call around 5 AM this morning. They just called to check on us and were attempting to get back to Valley Center by Lilac Rd. Lilac is closed to traffic though and they could not get back.

Our prayers to all of you.

Edited by TeamFROG

Parts of Valley Center have been evacuated. Friends of our on Mac Tan got a reverse 911 call around 5 AM this morning. They just called to check on us and were attempting to get back to Valley Center by Lilac Rd. Lilac is closed to traffic though and they could not get back.

Our prayers to all of you.

I'm not sure what the Guajito branch is doing, but it is evidently in the Paradise area. There's a new fire in the La Jolla Reservation, and of course there is a fire to the northwest. So it's not a safe area, as people could be trapped with no way out.

I hope someone thought to open the gates into Mountain Meadows just in case.

Look like puzzle valley is not in a happy place.. may already be gone. I have parents that live about a mile from Jamacha Rd and they have not been evacuated. They must be on the right side.

Jahoadi & John -

Have you received any evac calls?

Paul

J&J evacuated last night...

Some of our neighbors in Scripps have not evacuated yet, and this is what they report at 8 am this morning:

"Things are still quiet in Whispering Ridge. We just walked up the hill at the top of Semillon before sunrise - the fires are barely visible to the south and east. Wind is minimal. A group from Walnutdale kept watch in shifts at the top of the hill all night. If things change we'll keep you posted."

We live near the Garden Road area of Poway which was badly hit by the fires last time. So far we haven't been evacuated, so we're staying put. The High Valley and Bridlewood areas of Poway were badly hit last night, and the Poway Grade is closed, but so far Scripps Ranch to the south seems to be intact. I guess the evacuations were called because of how quickly a fire would go through there. The latest reports put one arm of the fire at Wildcat Canyon/Muth Valley so that might be a concern.

I'm so sorry to hear about those whose families have lost their homes, and I hope you guys are all safe.

Reports are kind of conflicting, but it seems the fire in Valley Center is heading west from the Valley Center Rd area toward Yellow Brick Rd. They may evacuate the high school evac center soon, since there are reports they can see fire.

This Forum thread has been a blessing to Sandy and I. That blog-link mentioned one page back has been the only useful source of information for us, the news media is pathetic and telephone reports are too sketchy to be informative. We return to San Diego County this week, sad for the loss of life and live stock and property.

All this on top of losing my father on October 7th. Sandy and I take a five week vacation and just look at the trouble all of you have gotten yourselves into during our absence.

Take care of yourself dammit!

Harmon & Sandy

Edited by SD Rowdies

The news is talking about the fire being near the Miller Ranch Road area. :P Hope it doesn't make it to Jodi and John's place.

Just got a hold of Jahoadi; she got ordered to evac; fire came within .25 miles but no homes in danger at the moment.

My boss lives in Chula Vista by Hunte and Proctor Valley; he just got ordered to evacuate.

Edited by Chuy!
Just got home from work in Encinitas and there is a mandatory evaction from Olivehain, so hope TFTC place is going to be ok. The fire is just west of the Bridges country club.

Forget our house! Let's just hope they can protect our caches! :)

We're ok - keeping our fingers crossed for our house! We evac'd to a house in La Costa where we we were living when we had to evac from the fires there a few years back. Seems like a ritual price we have to pay for all the great things we enjoy by living here.

And Now For Something Completely Different, the ability to change one's username has been reinstated. Here's a link to the thread that provides the information needed: Announcement Thread

Thanks the gods of geocaching! Now I can finally be accepted as a !

:)

I am going to change it though... :)

Did you submit your application to Team Exclamation?? :lol::):)

Edited by Duncan!

There are now evacuation orders for Hidden Meadows and Lawrence Welk Resort east of I-15 north of Escondido. That's just east of our area. I think it may be mostly an air quality issue, but maybe they're just being conservative with the fire dangers as well.

Edited by Parsa

Reports are kind of conflicting, but it seems the fire in Valley Center is heading west from the Valley Center Rd area toward Yellow Brick Rd. They may evacuate the high school evac center soon, since there are reports they can see fire.

I just talked to someone at a gas station that had his truck loaded down...he claims Yellow Brick Rd was overrun.

As I came south on 15, they were evacuating Lawerence Welk Village, and Hidden Meadow.

I stopped by my folks house in Fallbrook on the way down...the only way to describe what I saw was to say that it was surreal. Driving along the winding roads, many many homes just smouldering piles of rubble. Stumps of telephone poles still burning...it looked like a war zone. It's really bad.

(Edited to say that I started typing this 2 hours ago...but the phone doesn't stop ringing!)

Edited by Cornerstone4

I just talked to someone at a gas station that had his truck loaded down...he claims Yellow Brick Rd was overrun.

As I came south on 15, they were evacuating Lawerence Welk Village, and Hidden Meadow.

I stopped by my folks house in Fallbrook on the way down...the only way to describe what I saw was to say that it was surreal. Driving along the winding roads, many many homes just smouldering piles of rubble. Stumps of telephone poles still burning...it looked like a war zone. It's really bad.

(Edited to say that I started typing this 2 hours ago...but the phone doesn't stop ringing!)

CHP was reporting a fire at Gopher canyon and I-15. Any word if that's a true report?

And Now For Something Completely Different, the ability to change one's username has been reinstated. Here's a link to the thread that provides the information needed: Announcement Thread

Thanks the gods of geocaching! Now I can finally be accepted as a !

:)

I am going to change it though... :)

Did you submit your application to Team Exclamation?? :lol::):)

The check is in the mail.. B)

This was on the UT blog:

Scripps Ranch

"There have been several media outlets reporting the San Diego Police Department is allowing residents back into their homes. This information is not accurate; the police Department is NOT allowing any residents of Scripps Ranch back into their homes.

From: Officer James R. Johnson, San Diego Police Department"

Edited by Parsa

CHP was reporting a fire at Gopher canyon and I-15. Any word if that's a true report?

I came through at 8:30 and there were no visible flames there. The smoke is real thick though, so it was difficult to tell. (I just called an employee that left here and went home to Temecula. She couldn't see any flames as of about 20 minutes ago.)

However, the hillside on the NW corner of I-15 and Mission Road in the Fallbrook area is fully engulfed right now.

This was on the UT blog:

Scripps Ranch

"There have been several media outlets reporting the San Diego Police Department is allowing residents back into their homes. This information is not accurate; the police Department is NOT allowing any residents of Scripps Ranch back into their homes.

From: Officer James R. Johnson, San Diego Police Department"

There are people that refused to leave, and others that snuck back in, but nobody is supposed to be there.

The UT Blog shows that they are letting some of Poway back in:

Poway city officials have reopened some sections of the city for residents to return to homes.

The areas:

-- South of Twin Peaks Road

-- East of Community Road to Tierra Bonita Road on the north and Donard Drive on the south

-- West of Ipava Drive

-- West and North of Poway Road

A detailed list of areas is on the city's Web site: www.poway.org

The city will be streamlining the development services process as much as possible and reducing fees to make it easier for residents, officials said.

At the risk of sounding morbid, insensitive and uncaring, here is a link to a Google Earth map, that will show both the fire areas, and the caches in them (assuming you automatically load your caches kml too. Click on the KPBS link and "open in Google Earth".

This is a geocaching web site, so it's OK. What is sick are the people from other states posting stuff on forums saying God is punishing California because we're all Godless heathens, or it's the Democrats fault because they don't allow logging in the area. :)

Parsa

At the risk of sounding morbid, insensitive and uncaring, here is a link to a Google Earth map, that will show both the fire areas, and the caches in them (assuming you automatically load your caches kml too. Click on the KPBS link and "open in Google Earth".

Interestingly, the "San Miguel Ranch Evacuation" is linked to an rural airstrip 40 miles east of Las Vegas, New Mexico! (This fire is much more widespread than I thought! :) )

Been thinking about all those caches around Blue Sky, Lake Poway, Woodson, Lake Hodges etc.) Assuming that they survived, maybe it'll be easier to get to Mont Saint Michel and Old Glory now...

Speaking of Lake Hodges caches, anyone heard from Senior Sleuths?

Been thinking about all those caches around Blue Sky, Lake Poway, Woodson, Lake Hodges etc.) Assuming that they survived, maybe it'll be easier to get to Mont Saint Michel and Old Glory now...

I was wondering the same thing, LLOT. Maybe the fire will kill all the ticks and I can walk out to Mont Saint Michel. At least some good could come from these awful fires.

We've been lucky up here. The Rice Canyon/Fallbrook could pose a danger if it turns, and there were reports of some in the hills above us this morning, but nothing too close yet. We've stayed home due to freeway closures, and in case the fires turned and we needed to evacuate north with the dogs.

Of course, we may have to replace or archive as many as a dozen caches when this is over. . . Still, I'd rather replace a cache than a house. We wish all of you the best of luck and hope everyone's home survives.

This is a geocaching web site, so it's OK. What is sick are the people from other states posting stuff on forums saying God is punishing California because we're all Godless heathens, or it's the Democrats fault because they don't allow logging in the area. :)

Maybe it's the Godless heathens who refuse to allow logging of the chaparall... :)

There are a lot of idiots who inhabit blog/forum space. When the fire burned through Camp Stevens, the blogs were all about how all the illegal immigrants need to be shot and sent back to Mexico for starting the fire. Nevermind that the guilty parties were legal residents of the area.

It's a free country and that means we have to put up with the rantings of idiots. (And all things considered, I'll take that over the alternative...)

WOW! Great links there, seem to be the best so far. Also here in Spring Valley they seemed to have the fire knocked down over near Mt. Miguel {as viewed from this side}. There are still hot spots and some flames with lots of smoke hanging in the air over the Sweetwater reservior. The good news is that every few minutes I am hearing helicopters fly over refilling their dip buckets for water and hauling it off. It would appear to be safe here for the time being, although if the wind were to pick-up again that could easily change.

To geocaching; I am sure the majority of caches suffered over there as the flames swept down the west side of the mountain. From my vantage point it would seem that everything is blackened right down to the reservoir.

Some of the pictures from my balcony:

PA230005.jpg

About 3 AM this morning when we left.

PA230009.jpg

Another shot.

PA230010.jpg

Currently.

WOW! Great links there, seem to be the best so far. Also here in Spring Valley they seemed to have the fire knocked down over near Mt. Miguel {as viewed from this side}. There are still hot spots and some flames with lots of smoke hanging in the air over the Sweetwater reservior. The good news is that every few minutes I am hearing helicopters fly over refilling their dip buckets for water and hauling it off. It would appear to be safe here for the time being, although if the wind were to pick-up again that could easily change.

To geocaching; I am sure the majority of caches suffered over there as the flames swept down the west side of the mountain. From my vantage point it would seem that everything is blackened right down to the reservoir.

PA230005.jpg

PA230009.jpg

Another shot.

PA230010.jpg

Currently.

Great shots Ian. I sent the wife to work and stayed home with the 4 dogs and a cat just in case there was an evacuation for the Spring Valley area. I'm probably 3/4 to a mile West of the swap meet. Don't think anyone got much sleep last night. Glad to hear that Jahoadi and Johns house seemed safe. All take care.

WoooHoooooooooo!! Scripps Ranch residents are allowed back in!!! Mayor Sanders just announced it!!!

Also, Del Mar residents who live South of Via de la Valle, West of I-5 and North of Torrey Pines State Beach are allowed back in...

Edited by FlagMan
WoooHoooooooooo!! Scripps Ranch residents are allowed back in!!! Mayor Sanders just announced it!!!

Also, Del Mar residents who live South of Via de la Valle, West of I-5 and North of Torrey Pines State Beach are allowed back in...

It's also shown on the .KML firemap that was revised at 12:30.

Also, the leg of the fire perimeter that looked like it had burned south to Poway Road has been revised back and now the southern most edge of the perimeter is at Lake Poway...

We are probably going to be heading back soon.

PA230005.jpg

PA230009.jpg

Another shot.

PA230010.jpg

Currently.

Great shots Ian. I sent the wife to work and stayed home with the 4 dogs and a cat just in case there was an evacuation for the Spring Valley area. I'm probably 3/4 to a mile West of the swap meet. Don't think anyone got much sleep last night. Glad to hear that Jahoadi and Johns house seemed safe. All take care.

:) Well, not so fast my friends. Just got a call from Jodi (I:00 PM). She is at the mail boxes at the end of Millar Ranch road at the 94 (near the old iron bridge) with some of our neighbors. One of the neighbors just finally evacuated with their dogs cuz the fire has come down the mountain to the houses now and is about three houses away from ours. Some fire trucks just went up the road and there are a couple of helos dumping water..... We will find out soon. We do have a few hundred feet cleared out around the house (other than the plants we water.)

Also, the leg of the fire perimeter that looked like it had burned south to Poway Road has been revised back and now the southern most edge of the perimeter is at Lake Poway...

Where is the KML fire map?

I just heard on one of the news stations that the water pumping station that pumps water up to Ramona has burned. They expect to have it back up and running in two days. :) It seems like there is water still in storage towers (since I still have water) at the moment but it probably won't last.

Where is the KML fire map?

They also said to boil the water first before drinking it, until the clear to repairs.

Edited by Team Adelos

Just saw that they are now having Rancho San Diego evacuate.

------------------------------------------

The San Diego Office of Emergency Services has just reported that reverse 9-1-1 calls are being used to issue mandatory evacuation orders to Rancho San Diego . Residents should evacuate to Qualcomm Stadium.

Thanks for all the great links guys. This forum has been one our best sources for info. Being originally from chicago this is all very new to us. In fact I was in Mobile, AL dealing with tornado's yesterday and heavy thunderstorms trying to get back to help the mrs. pack up.

Update: I am in Chula Vista near eastlake about 5 miles from from the lower Otay resevoir and it appears to be ok. I don't have an official update but they had the Chula Vista fire Chief on and he said they have pretty much put the fire out and are "just mopping up," in the area of eatlake and the salt creek golf course. Air quality is not great but the mrs. says it is much better than it was yesterday. We are still packed up and ready to go though.

If there is anyone in the area or else where that needs some help let me know. I am more than happy to help. Don't be afraid to ask.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to those who haven't been so lucky.

Just saw that they are now having Rancho San Diego evacuate.

------------------------------------------

The San Diego Office of Emergency Services has just reported that reverse 9-1-1 calls are being used to issue mandatory evacuation orders to Rancho San Diego . Residents should evacuate to Qualcomm Stadium.

The latest is that the reverse 911 was a mistake for this area. Still if you feel threatened in any way, best to evacuate. They are attempting to correct this.