The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Thanks for the map links! We were looking for a similar google map app yesterday (or anything similar)... but no luck. These are good.. but slow and limited info. Found that going for a walk to the top of our hill and also watching the UCSD Webcameras on the various high points around the county was a better source of info than the online newspapers, radio or TV (which took hours to come on)

We left Scripps Ranch voluntarily to get out of smoke at midnight when hearing they were relocating the Poway Evac center to Mira Mesa. We found plenty of fresh air when we got to San Marcos. Now we're looking for update to the Lake Wolford fire since it's starting to fill this area with smoke just like yesterday at home. No real info again, and the TV's of course have more urgent areas of focus.

Maybe a great Geocaching community service project (for future brush fire watches) would be to create better source of updated map links say to Google Earth kml or a gpx file... from say.... CHP, Fire or other emergency service GPS info, webcams, etc???? I think most the caches we've visited in this area come from people who better understand maps and mapping technology than 99% the news anchors.

Edited by blubuturflies

We evac'ed this AM from 4S/Santa Fe Valley. Our home backs up to open space south of Lake Hodges. Feared the worst when I couldn't reach my home answering machine. Was watching channel 8 when Larry Himmel did a live remote from right behind our house. The hill behind our house burned to our fenceline, along with Larry's house sadly, but he did a panning shot across my community and everything was intact. Whew. We dodged a bullet today.

I guess the somewhat controversial concept of Sheltering In Place (SIP) that 4S Ranch is based on works, at least in my case.

-Tony

SuperDave! was evacuated to Solana Beach/Del Mar with their horse. They're not getting much news about direction of fire; if someone in that area gets news, give him or me a hollar.

Solana beach is being prepared for evacuation:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/fireblog/

My folks were evacuated from their home in South Carlsbad because they are on the edge of Olivenhain, south of Rancho Sante Fe Road. They said the wind was still howling when they left to go to my sisters house in Mira Mesa.

Fallbrook north of the 76 is now being totally evacuated through the Marine base to the I-5.

Parsa

Parsa, any info on the fire along the 94 East??

It's seems to be burning west toward Otay Lakes and eastern Chula Vista. Parts of Chula Vista are under voluntary evacuation.

The fire is currently burning east of 94, but they have no idea which way the fire may go.

SuperDave! was evacuated to Solana Beach/Del Mar with their horse. They're not getting much news about direction of fire; if someone in that area gets news, give him or me a hollar.

My folks were evacuated from their home in South Carlsbad because they are on the edge of Olivenhain, south of Rancho Sante Fe Road. They said the wind was still howling when they left to go to my sisters house in Mira Mesa.

Thanks for the updates - we are at the del mar horsepark with Traci's horse evac from Sycamore canyon area early this morning.

News is sporatic and panic is in the air.having first hand reports is appreciated. Just got internet on the BB.

Just heard a school in ramona burned, and a trainer moms nursing home also destroyed in ramona.

We are at. 32 58.764. 117 13.889 - any caches close by?

Fallbrook north of the 76 is now being totally evacuated through the Marine base to the I-5.

Parsa

Parsa, any info on the fire along the 94 East??

It's seems to be burning west toward Otay Lakes and eastern Chula Vista. Parts of Chula Vista are under voluntary evacuation.

The fire is currently burning east of 94, but they have no idea which way the fire may go.

Thanks mate, not much info seems to be available about that particular fire. I don't like that picture Winkster posted either.

the Escondido evacuation notice is as follows (from SD County Emergency homepage):

Mandatory partial evacuations of Escondido. Residents in southwest Escondido from Via Rancho Parkway north to Hamilton Lane and west to Valley Parkway, including the Summercreek subdivision, must evacuate. Residents in northeast Escondido in the Mountain View area north to Citrus Avenue up to Bear Valley Parkway and continuing up to Lake Wohlford Road, including the Hidden Trails area, must evacuate. Evacuees leaving the city can take shelter at Mission Hills Church at 400 Mission Hills Court in San Marcos. Evacuees are advised that all major westbound city streets are open west of I-15 at this point. Highway 78 westbound is open from Broadway, with all westbound lanes open until at least Emerald Drive. Residents must take into account that I-15 is closed northbound and southbound from Highway 78 to Highway 56.

Thanks for the updates - we are at the del mar horsepark with Traci's horse evac from Sycamore canyon area early this morning.

News is sporatic and panic is in the air.having first hand reports is appreciated. Just got internet on the BB.

Just heard a school in ramona burned, and a trainer moms nursing home also destroyed in ramona.

Here are a couple that should be within 1 mile of you:

On The Border (GC14MT7) , N 32° 59.173 W 117° 14.759

The Egged Gallows (GC14V3F), N 32° 59.266 W 117° 14.678

You guys are in our prayers...so far so good in Tierrasanta!

My family and extended family all packed up this morning and left for San Diego before any evacuations were ordered. Now I see that they have been ordered for Scripps Ranch. We're safe in Point Loma at my parent's house watching the coverage on TV...

Glad to hear you're OK. I'd like to send Cowspot Jr out to help, but it's a school night.

65f14d7e-813e-4feb-b08f-292ffb337c72.jpg

My family and extended family all packed up this morning and left for San Diego before any evacuations were ordered. Now I see that they have been ordered for Scripps Ranch. We're safe in Point Loma at my parent's house watching the coverage on TV...

Good to know you're safe. We evac'd from SR this morning, too, to a friend's house near devhead's "View of the Jewel" cache. Our host is a UCSD history professor. When he heard that campus was closed, he phoned his graduate students, and they were able to have their class at his house instead. It was raining ash here this morning, but it let up in the afternoon.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all, and especially with those who are going through this for the second (or N'th) time.

Has anyone heard from Chuck B

I have tried to call him Several times to no avail?

SlabyFam

He never answers his phone. Oops, did I say that out loud?

Actually, I think he once told me his phone is usually off. You may have better luck sending him a letter. :P

I know that he lives in Bonita and that area has no current fire problems. As long as he wasn't up in the Cuyamaca area then he should be fine.

Has anyone heard from Chuck B

I have tried to call him Several times to no avail?

SlabyFam

He never answers his phone. Oops, did I say that out loud?

Actually, I think he once told me his phone is usually off. You may have better luck sending him a letter. :P

I know that he lives in Bonita and that area has no current fire problems. As long as he wasn't up in the Cuyamaca area then he should be fine.

I finally talked to Chuck B he is ok and is home with his wife

Thanks

Tim Slaby

:P Jodi had to do a mandatory evacuation at about 6:00 PM. Cops won't let her back. She is at a friends house (their kids cache with us somtimes.) We live up the road to San Miguel moutain, only 2 miles from proctor valley road. She saved her GPS unit and one of my clocks... :)

John, If Jodi needs any help with anything please let me know. My cell #is 801-721-9217 (still a UT #) I am in the Eastlake area and the evacuations are getting close to here. We have the car packed and are ready to leave if we need to. My Uncle is in Poway and I may be headed to help him with his horses.

If anyone in the area needs anything PLEASE! do not hesitate to call my number. Chuck B, Lostguy, tanner_scout, Jodi, anyone else, this means you! Be safe everyone, We have a lot of cache maintenence do do in the coming weeks!

We've bugged out to the west side of Clairemont...we were hunkered down at home all day with the cars packed up and thinking that we had little to worry about. And then they called for Scripps Ranch to be evac'd. We probably didn't need to leave but we decided that the better part of valor was to get while the getting was good. It'll be nice to get some sleep tonight instead of laying awake wondering whether the fire will come roaring down the canyon.

Hope everyone is safe...

:P Jodi had to do a mandatory evacuation at about 6:00 PM. Cops won't let her back. She is at a friends house (their kids cache with us somtimes.) We live up the road to San Miguel moutain, only 2 miles from proctor valley road. She saved her GPS unit and one of my clocks... :)

She called me around 6:00 pm and said she was ok, that she was going to a friends house and she knew I would call her when I hear about the area around your house john.

We live in Spring Valley on the north-west side of the reservoir just below Dictionary Hill and it appears the fire is making it down Mt. Miguel to the reservoir. Some parts of Spring Valley have been evacuated and our area is next. The fire has made it halfway down to the powerline road on the west side of Mt. Miguel and is continuing west at a decent pace. Although it seems for the moment the winds have died down considerably from last night. We are packed-up and will be moving out in a few moments.

Thank you for that map Tom. Jodi called at about 0100 and could see the same thing Paul (Team Adelos) saw. She seems to think the fire was still mostly traveling West and had not spread enough North to go down San Miguel moutain to our house. I'm very worried about Chula Vista. Stay safe everyone.

That map (11:30 PM) seems to be the latest one. Anyone see a better on this morning?

Edited by jahoadi and john

Just some last minute info as we departed our neighborhood. The flames had passed the powerline road on the west side of Mt. Miguel and crept down almost even with the reservoir. They had also flared-up pretty good to the north side of the reservoir going near the newer housing development up on the hill near Jahoadi & Johns "Ugly" cache; not sure of the name of that residential area, it is the one on the east side of Jamacha Blvd/54, but they were under mandatory evacuation and we closer to Dictionary Hill were under voluntary evacuation.

The fire was still moving at a good pace down the west side of the mountain, in 30 minutes it had cleared the powerline road and was almost even with the reservoir, I was able to get some pictures of it from my home, just can't figure out how to get them onto this computer yet.

Well, I finally got a little sleep, but now I'm up and sorry to here about the fires down south. Our monster up here is really unpredictable. There is a new fire on the La Jolla Indian Reservation that has already burned several hundred acres. I hope the Guajito branch of the fire does not move west to Daley Ranch as there's not much between me and there but scrub and the I-15, and we all know the I-15 can't stop it. The fire in Fallbrook is actually burning east--towards De Luz. They got that San Marcos fire 100% contained though.

Edited by Parsa