The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I'll be working San Diego for a few days next week. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some caches or areas/parks to cache in.

I'll probably only have time in the evenings around dusk. I prefer areas of significance when traveling, like virtual caches, and I won't have much time for puzzles and multi's.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

I'll be working San Diego for a few days next week. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some caches or areas/parks to cache in.

I'll probably only have time in the evenings around dusk. I prefer areas of significance when traveling, like virtual caches, and I won't have much time for puzzles and multi's.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Well, we have a bookmark list that is a good place to start: San Diego Consensus Favorites

Other than that, the Balboa Park area is pretty cache-rich and accessible in the evening (be careful of the homeless element, though). I'm assuming you will be in the downtown area. There's also caches on Harbor Island, Shelter Island and Cabrillo Landing that provide nice views while caching. You might find some locals willing to serve as caching guides if you post to this thread: San Diego Cache Events Thread

Welcome to America's Finest City!

Talk about yer few degrees of separation....

So I'm in Chapel Hill, N.C., for a couple of days. I'm casually looking for a few caches to find, and I notice that in GCTVJZ there's this TB that wants to go to San Diego (TB14RWF). A TB that was originated here back in July by Orbit_Diego, who was apparently visiting down here from Maryland, and it has barely moved since. And it is in the neighborhood, which I haven't visited in ages, where I went to church and preschool when I was a kid.

So I posted a little local-history lesson on the cache page, and a "Dr. Breuss" poem on the TB page.

I've never even met Orbit_Diego, though his handle is somewhat familiar from SD logs. Any'y'all know him? (Oops, looks like I'm picking up my native language again, y'all -- er, I mean, duuuuuuudes!)

So I'm in Chapel Hill, N.C., for a couple of days. I'm casually looking for a few caches to find, and I notice that in GCTVJZ there's this TB that wants to go to San Diego (TB14RWF). A TB that was originated here back in July by Orbit_Diego, who was apparently visiting down here from Maryland, and it has barely moved since. And it is in the neighborhood, which I haven't visited in ages, where I went to church and preschool when I was a kid.

So I posted a little local-history lesson on the cache page, and a "Dr. Breuss" poem on the TB page.

I've never even met Orbit_Diego, though his handle is somewhat familiar from SD logs. Any'y'all know him? (Oops, looks like I'm picking up my native language again, y'all -- er, I mean, duuuuuuudes!)

They say "y'all" in Maryland where I'm from too. I quit saying it because I unknowingly adapted to the local way of talking. I also lost my accent too. North Carolina is a cool place. My family used to go the Outer Banks every year. We loved it there! :wub: Anyhow back on topic.....I don't know Orbit_Diego.

I'm running into more and more of these...

A few weeks ago, I was in Austin and I picked up a couple of geocoins from a cache and brought them home to San Diego. When I went to log them, I discovered that the person who left them in the cache was none other than Habu! (So much for getting those coins out of San Diego...)

One year at Christmas, we were driving home to New Mexico and we opened a cache in Arizona and found a tiny red plastic football. A few days later, GoBolts! found a cache in New Mexico and noticed that the previous finder, earlier the same day, was us.

Then there was the day that Ms. LLOT and I were caching along PCH west of Malibu. We were walking back to our car and we noticed that an SUV had pulled up behind it. The man that got out of it had a GPS in hand so I was thinking we'd get to meet another cacher. He looked up and said "James, is that you?" It was Kawikaturn.

And there was the TB that FSU*Noles launched in Singapore. I picked it in Bellevue, Washington -- which just happened to be where FSU*Noles lived before moving to Minnesota...

(I could also mention the time we found FlagSwag in a cache in England, but this doesn't really count since the reason that we did this cache was that we heard about it from FlagMan... :wub: )

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

The WWFM. The World Wide Flash Mob. There are over 30 coordinated events at this time. All happening at the same time as ours. 5 countries so far: South Africa, The UK, Canada, Iraq, and the US. We will be photographing and video-taping it and the WORLD will look to the San Diego event to see how we do! If you had a great time at Balboa Park in May, gear up for this one and invite your friends!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC16NAQ

GC16NAQ

We'll be posting this in the San Diego topics as we feel it will be read by the neccessary person somewhere in here.

In recent months an unusual amount of our 'in the country' caches have gone missing :) and with help from our caching friends we have been getting them replaced :) . But it is still going on. I would like to ask the person doing this to please stop. It is unfair not only to us but to the geocaching community to take the caches. Once they are out there they are for everyone to enjoy. Our appologies to those who have tried to get our caches only to find they are not there. Especially to those who have taken long hikes :) . Thanks to those of you who have given us the heads up on the status of many of our caches. If anyone tries to get to any of our caches and it is not there, please feel free to log it as a find. There is no way for us to know if some of these are gone until someones logs a DNF or tells us about it through email. The cacher who finds they have stumbled upon yet another missing SlabyFam cache should not suffer for what we feel is a deliberate act. When ammo can's placed well away from the casual observer in the mts and desert start to go missing in such high numbers there is obviously something going on. And we are not thrown off just because the cache next to it may be gone as well. There is a very obvious pattern here. Many of these were placed with our whole family and have special meaning to us. So this not only affects us, our kids, but the entire caching community as well. If there is some way to get these back, please send us some sort of anonymous message so we can get these returned. If not, well if there are caches that have not yet been taken please let them be for the communities sake at least.

Sorry again to those who have not found our caches. We feel the same sinking feeling when we hear they are gone. One by one we'll get them all back up. 7 more to go! That we know of anyway.

Thanks,

The Slaby's

We'll be posting this in the San Diego topics as we feel it will be read by the neccessary person somewhere in here.

In recent months an unusual amount of our 'in the country' caches have gone missing :) and with help from our caching friends we have been getting them replaced :) . But it is still going on. I would like to ask the person doing this to please stop. It is unfair not only to us but to the geocaching community to take the caches. Once they are out there they are for everyone to enjoy. Our appologies to those who have tried to get our caches only to find they are not there. Especially to those who have taken long hikes :) . Thanks to those of you who have given us the heads up on the status of many of our caches. If anyone tries to get to any of our caches and it is not there, please feel free to log it as a find. There is no way for us to know if some of these are gone until someones logs a DNF or tells us about it through email. The cacher who finds they have stumbled upon yet another missing SlabyFam cache should not suffer for what we feel is a deliberate act. When ammo can's placed well away from the casual observer in the mts and desert start to go missing in such high numbers there is obviously something going on. And we are not thrown off just because the cache next to it may be gone as well. There is a very obvious pattern here. Many of these were placed with our whole family and have special meaning to us. So this not only affects us, our kids, but the entire caching community as well. If there is some way to get these back, please send us some sort of anonymous message so we can get these returned. If not, well if there are caches that have not yet been taken please let them be for the communities sake at least.

Sorry again to those who have not found our caches. We feel the same sinking feeling when we hear they are gone. One by one we'll get them all back up. 7 more to go! That we know of anyway.

I just saw all the messages for all those caches going disabled and wondered what was going on. The tale told by ikes' logs was disheartening. My sympathies and condolences... :)

And if whoever is doing this is reading this: Stop it already! :)

In recent months an unusual amount of our 'in the country' caches have gone missing :) and with help from our caching friends we have been getting them replaced :) . But it is still going on.
That's really bizarre - I can't imagine your caches are being targetted specifically. Have you had any go missing once you've replaced them? You might consider making them member-only caches for a while so you can see who is checking them out. :)
In recent months an unusual amount of our 'in the country' caches have gone missing :) and with help from our caching friends we have been getting them replaced :) . But it is still going on.
That's really bizarre - I can't imagine your caches are being targetted specifically. Have you had any go missing once you've replaced them? You might consider making them member-only caches for a while so you can see who is checking them out. :)

We have an idea, but unfortunately, as this person knows, it is not something that can ever be proven in geocaching. So there can never be any consequence in that way. Which is why we chose to appeal for the community and through the community to try to have this stop. If this person can see it is not only hurting us than in good conscience they will hopefully decide to return these or just stop taking them. It's not fair.

What's up with the fires

4:09PMEVAC POINT IS RAMONA HIGH SCHOOL 1400 HANSON LN3:56PMCT-724 1097 PCMS TRAILER, EB78 BTWN 3/4TH ST, SIGN READS," SR 78 CLSD AT MAGNOLIA/OLD JULIAN HWY3:43PMANIMAL RESCUE CAN ENTER THRU CLOSURES BUT THE RANCHO SANTA TERESA CLOSURE, ROAD THERE IS NOT PASSABLE3:39PMCT-724 EB/78 JEO MAGNOLIA CLSD, WILL SET SIGN UP NEAR MAGNOLIA, SIGN WILL RD EB 78 CLSD"3:26PM51 THRU THE FIRE AND SHOULD BE AT THE COMMAND POST IN 10 MINS3:17PM78 AT MAGNOLIA IS SOFT CLOSURE FOR NOW FOR RESIDENTS ONLY3:17PM78 AT RANCHO SANTA TERESA IS HARD CLOSURE NOW3:11PMCLEVELAND FD ADV THE FIRE IS SPREADING QUICKLY THRU THE AREA,ALSO ADV BLACK CANYON NEEDS TO BE CLOSED, CAN TRAP PEOPLE THERE3:10PM92;NEED BLACK CANYON SHUT DOWN-1039 108-51, NOT ENOUGH PERSONEL-OFR BILLIE ENRT

Incident: 0299Type:Structure or Grass FireLocation:POTREROinfo as of:10/21/2007 4:38:28 PMADDITIONAL DETAILS4:17PM^ROAD CLOSURE AND EVACUATION INFORMATION ON MEDIA LOG # 6723:48PMDOING EVAC ALL THE WAY TO OTAY NOW -- MAY HAVE TO RE-EVAL CLOSURE TO FURTHER WEST OF OTAY3:35PMANIMAL RESCUE OR ANIMAL CONTROL WILL HAVE TO MAKE REQ FOR ADDITIONAL ASST FM PRIVATE PARTIES3:32PMTHE ONLY ONES GOING THRU ARE ANIMAL CONTROL PERSONNEL W/STICKERS AND ID -- OR ANIMAL RESCUE -- NI PRIVATE CITIZENS -- 29B COPIES3:29PMCT 728 1097 AT OTAY LAKES RD AND LAKE CREST DR "94 CLSD AHEAD EAST OF OTAY LAKES ROAD"3:24PMSEVERAL PEOPLE W/HORSE TRAILERS -- REQ PERM TO GET INTO THE AREA FOR ANIMAL RESCUE3:03PM2ND COMMAND POST IS AT THE DELZURA FIRE STATION3:02PM94 AT BARRETT 10 SUBJS ON FOOT, ADV BP2:59PMPER CT 650 OTAY LAKES TO 188 COMPLETELY BLOCKED2:56PM29B RED CROSS IS 1097 AND INQ ON COMMAND POST

Plus there is a fire in Temecula

What's up with the fires

4:09PMEVAC POINT IS RAMONA HIGH SCHOOL 1400 HANSON LN3:56PMCT-724 1097 PCMS TRAILER, EB78 BTWN 3/4TH ST, SIGN READS," SR 78 CLSD AT MAGNOLIA/OLD JULIAN HWY3:43PMANIMAL RESCUE CAN ENTER THRU CLOSURES BUT THE RANCHO SANTA TERESA CLOSURE, ROAD THERE IS NOT PASSABLE3:39PMCT-724 EB/78 JEO MAGNOLIA CLSD, WILL SET SIGN UP NEAR MAGNOLIA, SIGN WILL RD EB 78 CLSD"3:26PM51 THRU THE FIRE AND SHOULD BE AT THE COMMAND POST IN 10 MINS3:17PM78 AT MAGNOLIA IS SOFT CLOSURE FOR NOW FOR RESIDENTS ONLY3:17PM78 AT RANCHO SANTA TERESA IS HARD CLOSURE NOW3:11PMCLEVELAND FD ADV THE FIRE IS SPREADING QUICKLY THRU THE AREA,ALSO ADV BLACK CANYON NEEDS TO BE CLOSED, CAN TRAP PEOPLE THERE3:10PM92;NEED BLACK CANYON SHUT DOWN-1039 108-51, NOT ENOUGH PERSONEL-OFR BILLIE ENRT

Incident: 0299Type:Structure or Grass FireLocation:POTREROinfo as of:10/21/2007 4:38:28 PMADDITIONAL DETAILS4:17PM^ROAD CLOSURE AND EVACUATION INFORMATION ON MEDIA LOG # 6723:48PMDOING EVAC ALL THE WAY TO OTAY NOW -- MAY HAVE TO RE-EVAL CLOSURE TO FURTHER WEST OF OTAY3:35PMANIMAL RESCUE OR ANIMAL CONTROL WILL HAVE TO MAKE REQ FOR ADDITIONAL ASST FM PRIVATE PARTIES3:32PMTHE ONLY ONES GOING THRU ARE ANIMAL CONTROL PERSONNEL W/STICKERS AND ID -- OR ANIMAL RESCUE -- NI PRIVATE CITIZENS -- 29B COPIES3:29PMCT 728 1097 AT OTAY LAKES RD AND LAKE CREST DR "94 CLSD AHEAD EAST OF OTAY LAKES ROAD"3:24PMSEVERAL PEOPLE W/HORSE TRAILERS -- REQ PERM TO GET INTO THE AREA FOR ANIMAL RESCUE3:03PM2ND COMMAND POST IS AT THE DELZURA FIRE STATION3:02PM94 AT BARRETT 10 SUBJS ON FOOT, ADV BP2:59PMPER CT 650 OTAY LAKES TO 188 COMPLETELY BLOCKED2:56PM29B RED CROSS IS 1097 AND INQ ON COMMAND POST

We started out at dawn for Julian...did not take long to hit the high winds...we ran into starcrwzr! in Wynola...he was scouting out the fire...He has a B&B just above the fire area....We pray-for him and all in harms way. We were routed up and around the fire to Escondido do to road closers.

What's up with the fires

We started out at dawn for Julian...did not take long to hit the high winds...we ran into starcrwzr! in Wynola...he was scouting out the fire...He has a B&B just above the fire area....We pray-for him and all in harms way. We were routed up and around the fire to Escondido do to road closers.

I spent most of my caching day south of the smoke plume and didn't know anything about it until Ms. LLOT called to say that the sun was just an orange ball at home. As I came north it just got darker and darker. Very spooky especially given the timing of this fire. I'm hoping that we don't see a repeat...even so, we dug out the packing list we made when we unpacked our cars from four years ago and started to review it just in case.

Don't worry. It's a week early. NEXT weekend is the 4-year anniversary. C-YA at the campout!

Seriously, though, I don't know how we will be able to sleep tonight. Too much deja vu all over again...

They've just called for a mandatory evac of all of Ramona. I hope dugarm, Yeshua Girls, Toby's Gang, Finkbr and anyone else from that area are going to be OK... :(<_<

Don't worry. It's a week early. NEXT weekend is the 4-year anniversary. C-YA at the campout!

Seriously, though, I don't know how we will be able to sleep tonight. Too much deja vu all over again...

They've just called for a mandatory evac of all of Ramona. I hope dugarm, Yeshua Girls, Toby's Gang, Finkbr and anyone else from that area are going to be OK... :(<_<

I'll be praying for them all. :(

Winkster hiked up to my Highland Meadow cache this afternoon and took this photo of the Witch Creek fire in the distance:

92cbbaac-e644-4f55-b921-76dd4c3d347b.jpg

NewDawn and I were on a motorcycle ride and our way to Julian to have some Apple pie.

We rode Old Julian Highway and started to see smoke as we approached the Old Julian Hwy / 78 intersection.

About 1-2 miles east on the 78, the smoke was so much that we decided that we were not going any further.

I assume that we were .25mi from the fire and within 10 minutes of the start of it.

The motorcycle riders that you see in the picture claim to have been within 100 feet of the fire as they were heading west on the 78 from Julian.

211295091-M.jpg

211295779-M.jpg

Edited by Thunder-4

Second that. I just heard about the Witch fire near Ramona. I was just up there caching in the San Diego Country Estates near Ramona where my co-worker Brian Fink (finkbr) lives. Beautiful area, but there's only one way out, so it is not surprising that they are calling for an evacuation. I hope everyone's families are OK and that their houses and property are spared. I also know someone in Jamul whose house is threatened by the Harris fire. I'm sure it must be a horrible thing to leave your house in a hurry and then wait for news.

These are terrible weather conditions. Drought, low humidity and very high winds. I was out caching this morning and thought, I hope there isn't a fire like 4 years ago. So much for that hope.

We are at the west end of town so we don't think we will have problems. We loaded up some of the more important stuff we have into the truck (including my main computer and the GPS :( ). We will be up all night keeping track of where the fire goes.

San Pasqual Valley has now been evacuated. That's where Pat (TrailGators) lives...
I'll be up all night so if anyone needs any help give me a shout...

With the wind and smoke and memories of watching the Cedar Fire jump I-15, it doesn't look like we are going to get any sleep tonight either...

Ms. LLOT gave it a go and it just wasn't happening...

Understood...Looks like we all will be on the watch....Do you have family in town? If you feel like you need some rest and would like a wake up call if anything changes let me know. I can do that...What area of town do you live in?

San Pasqual Valley has now been evacuated. That's where Pat (TrailGators) lives...
I'll be up all night so if anyone needs any help give me a shout...

With the wind and smoke and memories of watching the Cedar Fire jump I-15, it doesn't look like we are going to get any sleep tonight either...

Ms. LLOT gave it a go and it just wasn't happening...

I'm not getting any sleep either! My brother and his wife live in San Diego Country Estates and when I last checked with him, he said it was gridlock on the road by his house, so he was going to wait it out for awhile.

He also said the fire had crested the mtn. close to him, which I think may be Indian Mtn? Not definite on that one, but flames had crested one mtn. near him. Then the news said they were evacuating Wild Cat Canyon road from San Vicente to Willow Rd...........which is only a couple of miles from us! No orange glows yet, so maybe the fire kept going west. At least we weren't stranded like 4 years ago at the 1st. Annual Campout in Blair Valley and we couldn't get home! Eerie stuff!

Splashette <_<

I'm not getting any sleep either! My brother and his wife live in San Diego Country Estates and when I last checked with him, he said it was gridlock on the road by his house, so he was going to wait it out for awhile.

He also said the fire had crested the mtn. close to him, which I think may be Indian Mtn? Not definite on that one, but flames had crested one mtn. near him. Then the news said they were evacuating Wild Cat Canyon road from San Vicente to Willow Rd...........which is only a couple of miles from us! No orange glows yet, so maybe the fire kept going west. At least we weren't stranded like 4 years ago at the 1st. Annual Campout in Blair Valley and we couldn't get home! Eerie stuff!

Splashette <_<

Traffic has cleared up on the 67 near where we are. Hopefully they have gotten out by now. If that is Indian Head peak, the fire would be close to finkbr's house and my coworker's house as well (and I know my coworker will stay as long as possible since he did in the cedar fire). Aside from some red in the smoke, I haven't seen the fire from we are yet.

The mountains south of San Marcos are on fire. They are evacuating the area around CSUSM and San Elijo Hills!

Fires near the Escondido Mall.

Fires in Guajito heading west which will take it toward us if it never stops. Hope it stops.

Have you found a place to get up-to-date info? That San Marcos one is too close to us for comfort.

The mountains south of San Marcos are on fire. They are evacuating the area around CSUSM and San Elijo Hills!

Fires in Guajito heading west which will take it toward us if it never stops. Hope it stops.

Have you found a place to get up-to-date info? That San Marcos one is too close to us for comfort.

I'm looking at signonsandiego.com from the UT. People are posting under the articles.

There's also a new news blog here:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/fireblog/

I'm looking at signonsandiego.com from the UT. People are posting under the articles.

That's where I've been looking too - just not being updated frequently enough! I want a Google Earth live feed! :laughing:

That's where I've been looking too - just not being updated frequently enough! I want a Google Earth live feed! :laughing:

Wouldn't you think they could get one fire official on a web site to keep a map current based on reports from the fire lines, etc?

I'll be home all day, unless a new cache pops up nearby :laughing: , if anyone gets evacuated to the rodeo grounds and you don't feel like hanging around there, come visit me!

Ginger! can take friends in the back yard also.

If school remains close this week, I may even take the kids to Disneyland. We did that during the Cedar fires and it was a great way to lift spirits - and get away from the smoke and ash.

Mt. Gower is on fire in spots. They have crews near the houses at the base of the mountain. The air is clear and breathable in the Country Estates, all the smoke is blowing toward the coast.

Speaking of the coast, here is a photo down my street in Carlsbad!

fe111ab3-9083-4146-80ce-5a93d1683177.jpg

Some homes in RB have already been lost.

Edited by kawikaturn
There is a 100 sq mile area:

South of Del Dios, North of the 56, West of I-15, East of I-5.

Parsa

Del Dios comes out in Solana Beach, so the Carlsbad folks are probably OK for now.

Trailgators told me he was evacuated at 2:00 am last night. I sure hope his home is OK. My thoughts and prayers are with all you San Diego folks. I hope you make it through this OK.

Dave

Good news as far as my bro goes. The fire went all around them and headed off to Barona Mesa area and beyond. He could see the glow thru all of the smoke, but not much else. The hill in back of him (Mt. Gower) was still on fire.

We have room here for a few motorhomes if anybody needs a spot to land for awhile. We're only a few miles from the Lakeside Rodeo grounds.

Still scary stuff!

The Splashes :laughing:B)