The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Have a quick question for the friendly folks on this forum. I'm traveling to Russia in 3 more weeks. I'll do a tiny bit of caching close to the hotel. I'm taking extra batteries and should be Ok. Here's the question - I'm also taking my handheld Sony PSP which has an internal rechargable battery. Russia voltage is 220. The PSP is 110/220. What does that mean? Anyone who travels alot, do you know if I will be able to recharge the PSP. Thanks. Karen_in_Coronado

If marked "110/220 vac" then its either auto-sensing or it has a 110/220 switch. In that case no converter is needed, just a plug adapter. Check the user manual for verification.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Have a quick question for the friendly folks on this forum. I'm traveling to Russia in 3 more weeks. I'll do a tiny bit of caching close to the hotel. I'm taking extra batteries and should be Ok. Here's the question - I'm also taking my handheld Sony PSP which has an internal rechargable battery. Russia voltage is 220. The PSP is 110/220. What does that mean? Anyone who travels alot, do you know if I will be able to recharge the PSP. Thanks. Karen_in_Coronado

I don't travel a lot any more but I used to travel regularly all over the world. I always look for devices that have universal chargers (a lot of electronic devices have this now...) the kind that take anything from 12V DC to 240 VAC. More and more electronic devices have this, these days. Check your PSP. There is a good chance that it is good to go. If you have a universal charger, then all you need is the appropriate plug adapter.

If you don't have this, then you need to take a voltage converter (which I always found to be a real drag because they take space and add weight.) One trick I used a lot to avoid carrying that voltage converter is that many better hotels have a shaver plug in the bathroom that delivers 110 VAC. There's always a warning about not plugging in anything except a shaver but what they are worried about is that you'll plug in a high wattage hair dryer and blow their circuit breaker (assuming they actually installed one -- you can never be too sure of the electrical work on some countries... :lol: ) A battery charger is not going to overload their feeble circuits though.

One other thing you should know about. There is, apparently, a law still on the books in Russia that still prohibits you from carrying a device that can pinpoint your position to less than 30 meters. (Back in the late '90s, a co-worker spent several months as a guest of the FSB due to having a GPS in his posession while doing some work on a cellular telephone network.) This law is not really enforced though and you will probably encounter lots of people openly using GPSrs for navigation. Many people report declaring their GPSr at the border and only getting a shrug from the customs folks. The advice of a local is not to advertise that you have it and that if anyone asks you about it, just say "compass" or "electronic map" in English.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Myself, Miragee and Piglit9 were up in the Julian area doing some caches over in the Santa Ysabel Preserve when the Angel/Julian Fire broke-out! We had just crested a rise over in Santa Ysabel, when we noticed a plume of smoke in the near distance over by Julian. We continued to cache a little more, but noticed that we were walking towords the fire's location and that the wind was blowing in our direction. We weren't really that close, but you never know, so we decided to cut it short and head back to the car. Once we got back down to the main intersection near the bakery and other shops, we found out that the road back into Julian had been closed and we had to take the long way home through Ramona.

Some of my pictures of the start of the fire:

P9150048.jpg

1st time noticing the smoke.

P9150050.jpg

A few minutes later it starts to grow.

P9150053.jpg

Then larger.

P9150059.jpg

On the way out to Ramona.

While we were hiking we noticed it took less than 15 minutes for the first aircraft to arrive on scene and no more than about 5 mins more for the first drop-tanker to arrive. Emergency vehicles from all the surrounding area and way north were responding within the first hour of our noticing the smoke.

I was hiking in MTRP the other day when my boot broke..... I was horrified as I still had most of the day ahead of me. Luckily I was able to do a quick fix on her =)

bustedbootso9.jpg

Ahh, duct tape. It has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together. (It is The Force made manifest...)

Just wait until the "White Sock Police" see that photo... B):P
I was hiking in MTRP the other day when my boot broke..... I was horrified as I still had most of the day ahead of me. Luckily I was able to do a quick fix on her =)

bustedbootso9.jpg

Ahh, duct tape. It has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together. (It is The Force made manifest...)

Just wait until the "White Sock Police" see that photo... B):P

I was thinking the same thing. The first thing I noticed wasn't the damaged boot or the dent in the bumper, it was the sock....What is this world coming to! B)

Another entry on the banner images for one of us, this time Rocket Man (Idon't know how to do those screen capture things, so I'll just send you all to the actual log entry and image file): Look for image entitled: Dave Spotting...

d4ec58db-6dfd-4122-a95b-04dfeaa7d02f.jpg

Hit CTRL + PRTSCN (print screen)

That will save a picture of the screen to the clipboard, then you can copy paste to what ever picture editing program you wish.

Another entry on the banner images for one of us, this time Rocket Man (Idon't know how to do those screen capture things, so I'll just send you all to the actual log entry and image file): Look for image entitled: Dave Spotting...

Hit CTRL + PRTSCN (print screen)

That will save a picture of the screen to the clipboard, then you can copy paste to what ever picture editing program you wish.

I use a program called Screenhunter. You simply hit F6 and then drag the mouse from the top left corner to the lower right corner of whatever you want to capture. No editing required. It instantly creates a JPEG of exactly what you captured on your desktop which you can upload to your images. I either use my profile or Imageshack to store all my images that I upload to the forums.

San Diego represented well in the Puzzle Rally today!

2473fd8a-c579-4e1a-9e44-fb24ce2e31a8.jpg

Our team logo:

8eabe8cb-eb7b-4557-896c-2578f527ed03.jpg

Way to go guys! We know this was something you were all really looking forward to and that is so awesome that you scored 1st place! Cool!!! :huh:

Can't wait for the campout. Looking forward to some jeeping and getting some new caches out there!

And for the record, Shilona was on the bannr in June again. so it was nice to finally be noticed! <_< Thanks for that screen shot! That was cool.

--snip--

Our team logo:

--snip--

Way to go guys! We know this was something you were all really looking forward to and that is so awesome that you scored 1st place! Cool!!! :laughing:

Can't wait for the campout. Looking forward to some jeeping and getting some new caches out there!

And for the record, Shilona was on the bannr in June again. so it was nice to finally be noticed! :laughing: Thanks for that screen shot! That was cool.

Very cool and congrats! I will have to take the kids to that next year. :laughing: (They are the brains, you know)

Our team logo:

:laughing: Congrats you brains!!! Awesome job. :laughing: I wish I had known about it. I would have grabbed "Lostguy"and we would have come up there to give you a run for your money :laughing:

With me as your co-pilot we would have finished dead last. Puzzle challenged and also slow. Quite a combination for a race involving brains and speed. Edited to add a large CONGRATULATIONS to the 5 Families team and their victory. Quite an awesome team you put together.

Edited by "lostguy"

Our team logo:

:laughing: Congrats you brains!!! Awesome job. :laughing: I wish I had known about it. I would have grabbed "Lostguy"and we would have come up there to give you a run for your money B)

With me as your co-pilot we would have finished dead last. Puzzle challenged and also slow. Quite a combination for a race involving brains and speed.

But I bet you could have sat in the backseat and done a great godfather imitation. :laughing:

But I bet you could have sat in the backseat and done a great godfather imitation. :laughing:

We were in a minivan, and I was in the way back. I have to question the sensibility of having the biggest bubba in the way back having to climb in and out quickly all the time! :laughing:

Here was a typical cache for us...

We get to GZ, and John and TT throw both side doors open and dash out...as I am diving over the seat...both slide doors close in my face! Jess starts to laugh, I open the door, stumble out, and start running up the hill. Before I get to the top of the hill, John and TT are already running back down telling me to hurry up and get back in the car...by the time I get to the car, they are standing there holding one of the doors for me gettng impatient!

That about sums up my contribution!

LOL

Anyone else notice a drop in their find count?

TA

Mine is down three. I didn't have any duplicates. I wonder how we can find out which ones disappeared?

Chuy!'s probably stealing smileys to make up for the ones that Tuna deleted... :P

I still have my Tuna logs! :D Did you know that you can "tune a piano but you can't tuna fish?" :P Name that group for extra bonus points!

TA

Mine is down three. I didn't have any duplicates. I wonder how we can find out which ones disappeared?

Chuy!'s probably stealing smileys to make up for the ones that Tuna deleted... :P

I still have my Tuna logs! :D Did you know that you can "tune a piano but you can't tuna fish?" :P Name that group for extra bonus points!

REO Speedwagon? Our count is down three also...

TA

I still have my Tuna logs! :) Did you know that you can "tune a piano but you can't tuna fish?" :P Name that group for extra bonus points!

Ding! Ding! Ding! REO is correct! :D

I am really curious as to what happened to 3 of our finds......

TA

Chuy!'s probably stealing smileys to make up for the ones that Tuna deleted... :D

Ding! Ding! Ding! REO is correct! :)

FWIW, I didn't lose any :P

TA

Chuy!'s probably stealing smileys to make up for the ones that Tuna deleted... :D

:P Ours came back...

TA

I'm actually 4 down because I forgot that I logged "Where's Jack." But what is wrong is that my banner shows 4 less than my stats page now..... Edited by TrailGators

TA

I still have my Tuna logs! :) Did you know that you can "tune a piano but you can't tuna fish?" :P Name that group for extra bonus points!

Ding! Ding! Ding! REO is correct! :D

I'm actually 4 down because I forgot that I logged "Where's Jack." But what is wrong is that my banner shows 4 less than my stats page now.....

I looks like it has something to do with webcam caches. You are down 4 and you have 4 webcam caches, I looked up Duganrm and they are down 2 and have two webcam caches, and Team Adelos is down 5 and has 5 webcam caches. But there are users who have webcam caches and their numbers are good. It is just the elite?? :D

TA

Chuy!'s probably stealing smileys to make up for the ones that Tuna deleted... :)

Ding! Ding! Ding! REO is correct! B)

:D Ours came back...

I'm actually 4 down because I forgot that I logged "Where's Jack." But what is wrong is that my banner shows 4 less than my stats page now.....

I looks like it has something to do with webcam caches. You are down 4 and you have 4 webcam caches, I looked up Duganrm and they are down 2 and have two webcam caches, and Team Adelos is down 5 and has 5 webcam caches. But there are users who have webcam caches and their numbers are good. It is just the elite?? :P

Good observation, but that can't be it because I'm not elite. I'm just me. :D Edited by TrailGators
I looks like it has something to do with webcam caches. You are down 4 and you have 4 webcam caches, I looked up Duganrm and they are down 2 and have two webcam caches, and Team Adelos is down 5 and has 5 webcam caches. But there are users who have webcam caches and their numbers are good. It is just the elite?? :P

Hmmmm...I have six webcam finds and I'm down six finds!

I am no fan of webcam caches but having put the work into logging the stupid things, I want credit for it, darn it!

I am no fan of webcam caches but having put the work into logging the stupid things, I want credit for it, darn it!

There is an upside to not being smart enough to do a Webcam cache. I didn't have to lose them!

I looks like it has something to do with webcam caches. You are down 4 and you have 4 webcam caches, I looked up Duganrm and they are down 2 and have two webcam caches, and Team Adelos is down 5 and has 5 webcam caches. But there are users who have webcam caches and their numbers are good. It is just the elite?? :lol:

There is an upside to not being smart enough to do a Webcam cache. I didn't have to lose them!

Some parts of GC.Com still show the correct find count. Others have been reporting that the problem is sporadic. Some never see the problem. Some have seen it, but now it's gone. Etc. Sounds like fun times at GC headquarters... :laughing:

I looks like it has something to do with webcam caches. You are down 4 and you have 4 webcam caches, I looked up Duganrm and they are down 2 and have two webcam caches, and Team Adelos is down 5 and has 5 webcam caches. But there are users who have webcam caches and their numbers are good. It is just the elite?? :D

Some parts of GC.Com still show the correct find count. Others have been reporting that the problem is sporadic. Some never see the problem. Some have seen it, but now it's gone. Etc. Sounds like fun times at GC headquarters... :lol:

It is gone! I guess one of the hamsters quit running inside one of the GS servers... :laughing:

Not that I want to encourage the proliferation of micros or anything, but...I discovered a source of free, empty film canisters. The photo department at Long's Drugs in Mira Mesa had a big bin of several dozen (standard 35mm cylinders, white and black; and also those weird-shaped 24mm ones, somewhat smaller). They were being recycled but the lady said I could take them if I wanted. I guess even in this day and age of digital photography there are still 20th-century types (like me) who use "film" just like the cavemen taking pictures of mastodons!

I took 6. Maybe I'll start a series...hmm, how about under lamppost skirts at the drive-thru of a Cracker Barrel next door to a Home Depot ;-)

San Diego scores again! Some people (and you know who you are) will dash all the way from National City to Scripps Ranch or vice versa at 5 in the morning to get a FTF. I never seem to beat those guys to the prize, so I went farther afield -- 7000 miles farther afield -- to get the big FTF smilies! See GC15MZ2 for the scoop.

Not that I want to encourage the proliferation of micros or anything, but...I discovered a source of free, empty film canisters. The photo department at Long's Drugs in Mira Mesa had a big bin of several dozen (standard 35mm cylinders, white and black; and also those weird-shaped 24mm ones, somewhat smaller). They were being recycled but the lady said I could take them if I wanted.
Maybe the Sandy Creek Cowboys will get them all and put them inside a huge 55 gallon drum on the ranch.... :lol::laughing:
San Diego scores again! Some people (and you know who you are) will dash all the way from National City to Scripps Ranch or vice versa at 5 in the morning to get a FTF. I never seem to beat those guys to the prize, so I went farther afield -- 7000 miles farther afield -- to get the big FTF smilies! See GC15MZ2 for the scoop.

GC15MZ2

Nice score!

Link above for the lazy.

D!

GC15MZ2

Nice score!

Link above for the lazy.

D!

I liked the log just before LeoGeo's first attempt to score the FTF...

N 41° 00.829 E 028° 58.813

** Coordinates Changed From **

N 41° 00.829 W 028° 58.813

Distance From Old: 15636005.2 feet

Could that be the record for "Oops, I entered the wrong coordinates..."? :huh:

Congrats, LeoGeo!

GC15MZ2

Nice score!

Link above for the lazy.

D!

I liked the log just before LeoGeo's first attempt to score the FTF...

N 41° 00.829 E 028° 58.813

** Coordinates Changed From **

N 41° 00.829 W 028° 58.813

Distance From Old: 15636005.2 feet

Could that be the record for "Oops, I entered the wrong coordinates..."? :huh:

Congrats, LeoGeo!

Its only 3000 miles away. Well within the GPS's error ratio. They should have just broadened their search radius.

Anyone else notice the 4th Edition of the "Bible" has been released? And Gecko Dad is in the credits! Do I smell an update to The Flume?

c9bdcf14-7b8b-4087-9d8c-a3dff9a4bf24.jpg

Honk if you know if there are any caches on that trail on the cover and, if so, which one(s)...

Hmmm... How about a nod for GeckoDad's Kumeyaay Solstice Sunrise? :blink::huh:

Congrats GD! Very cool! ;)