The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I stopped by the Miramar Station to pick up my Take Cover container. They were surprised, as was I, that I was the only cacher that contacted them regarding the containers. Some had TBs and geocoins; so, it surprised me that the owners did not feel an obligation to retrieve their containers, if anything, just to save these items.

I met the officer that was involved in retrieving the containers; he went ahead and released all 11 containers to me. As he handed them to me, he recalled from memory the names of most of the caches. When he got to one of Harmon's pill bottles, he started swearing that it took them an hour to find. All the logs and swag are intact; contact me to retrieve your cache, or I'll donate it to the October Campout event.

I stopped by the Miramar Station to pick up my Take Cover container. They were surprised, as was I, that I was the only cacher that contacted them regarding the containers. Some had TBs and geocoins; so, it surprised me that the owners did not feel an obligation to retrieve their containers, if anything, just to save these items.

I met the officer that was involved in retrieving the containers; he went ahead and released all 11 containers to me. As he handed them to me, he recalled from memory the names of most of the caches. When he got to one of Harmon's pill bottles, he started swearing that it took them an hour to find. All the logs and swag are intact; contact me to retrieve your cache, or I'll donate it to the October Campout event.

Good job, Chuy!!

I've noticed a few cachers sometimes replace their muggled caches with a brand new cache with a new number, rather than just replacing their old cache. What do you guys think of that? Here I am, opinionated Ron, stating my opinion for one such cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0b-1b02c15f88cb

From the previous logs, no one made a negative comment at all, so I presume this is considered perfectly fine and normal.

Despite my post and log I'm really not that bothered by it, just a little. But I suppose there's nothing I can do about it, just like a recent rash of nuisance urban caches!

When I did this very thing several years ago I got an approver's panties in a major bunch. He/She more or less tore me a new one for doing such a silly thing. So, based on my experience, it is not the thing to do. However comma that was several years ago. What am I saying then? I dunno. I just go out and find the darned things. What were we talking about?

D!

I've noticed a few cachers sometimes replace their muggled caches with a brand new cache with a new number, rather than just replacing their old cache. What do you guys think of that? Here I am, opinionated Ron, stating my opinion for one such cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0b-1b02c15f88cb

From the previous logs, no one made a negative comment at all, so I presume this is considered perfectly fine and normal.

Despite my post and log I'm really not that bothered by it, just a little. But I suppose there's nothing I can do about it, just like a recent rash of nuisance urban caches!

When I did this very thing several years ago I got an approver's panties in a major bunch. He/She more or less tore me a new one for doing such a silly thing. So, based on my experience, it is not the thing to do. However comma that was several years ago. What am I saying then? I dunno. I just go out and find the darned things. What were we talking about?

D!

Hey Chuy,

you found my name logged in all those caches, right? :o:( :(

TA

I noticed a "Short Takes" article on page B2 of this morning's U/T that is of interest to many of us. I'm sure this explains why Chuy encountered the trail closure sign at the Pine Valley entrance to "Secret Canyon" yesterday.

-GD

SHORT TAKES: REGIONAL EDITION

Wildfire risk restricts use in Cleveland forest

September 6, 2007

EAST COUNTY: Officials are restricting use in the Cleveland National Forest because of an extreme risk of wildfire.

Weather conditions, a large number of dead trees and fuel moisture conditions caused U.S. Forest Service officials to move the forest-use restriction level yesterday from very high to extreme.

The higher level means that Corral Canyon and Wildomar off-highway vehicle areas will close. All National Forest land south of Interstate 8, as well as Pine Mountain Road and Fred Canyon Road north of I-8, will close. Orosco Ridge Road in the Palomar area will also close.

Wood and charcoal fires are allowed only in designated areas in Burnt Rancheria Campground, El Prado Group Campground and Laguna Campground. –A.K.

Hey Chuy,

you found my name logged in all those caches, right? ;):(:o

TA

No, but for a small fee, I can log you in :( .

I forgot to mention how the MPs discovered these caches on government property - we got ratted out! A fellow Marine-geocacher was telling the MPs about geocaching; and to illustrate how close they were to some caches, he brought some up in MTRP. The caches furthest north caught their attention. They studied the cache webpages and read the logs and went out to retrieve them. The one MP I talked to said he always had a funny feeling about certain hikers he 'kicked' out of the military zone 'cause they appeared to be looking for something in areas where they normally dealt with bikers. The bikers are the ones that keep vanadalizing the no-trespassing sign in Oak Canyon, he said. dadgum bikers ;) .

I noticed a "Short Takes" article on page B2 of this morning's U/T that is of interest to many of us. I'm sure this explains why Chuy encountered the trail closure sign at the Pine Valley entrance to "Secret Canyon" yesterday.

-GD

SHORT TAKES: REGIONAL EDITION

Wildfire risk restricts use in Cleveland forest

September 6, 2007

EAST COUNTY: Officials are restricting use in the Cleveland National Forest because of an extreme risk of wildfire.

Weather conditions, a large number of dead trees and fuel moisture conditions caused U.S. Forest Service officials to move the forest-use restriction level yesterday from very high to extreme.

The higher level means that Corral Canyon and Wildomar off-highway vehicle areas will close. All National Forest land south of Interstate 8, as well as Pine Mountain Road and Fred Canyon Road north of I-8, will close. Orosco Ridge Road in the Palomar area will also close.

Wood and charcoal fires are allowed only in designated areas in Burnt Rancheria Campground, El Prado Group Campground and Laguna Campground. –A.K.

I just posted this on the Event Thread.

That was a ridgeline hide that somebody relocated for me when we all became concerned about going too far north up Spring Canyon. Donate it to the campout event, it should be a collector's item since it was part of the 2006 MTRP Cache War.

Funny thing is that I have another hide still out there that was the most northward of all, quite near the "Live Fire" sign on the ridge at the head of Spring Canyon. I was going to let that one cook off to give Cegrube some more exercise but decided that I was pushing the envelope.

In the end the Marines have handled themselves really well about this issue, but still, a group of us should show up on the ridgeline just east of their rifle range and moon 'em when they open fire. You guys and gals go ahead ... I can't make it that day.

Edited by SD Rowdies

That was a ridgeline hide that somebody relocated for me when we all became concerned about going too far north up Spring Canyon. Donate it to the campout event, it should be a collector's item since it was part of the 2006 MTRP Cache War.

Funny thing is that I have another hide still out there that was the most northward of all, quite near the "Live Fire" sign on the ridge at the head of Spring Canyon. I was going to let that one cook off to give Cegrube some more exercise but decided that I was pushing the envelope.

In the end the Marines have handled themselves really well about this issue, but still, a group of us should show up on the ridgeline just east of their rifle range and moon 'em when they open fire. You guys and gals go ahead ... I can't make it that day.

We could call it "The firing line moon hike" ...

Wow, mellow crowd! Not even a "yeah that bugs me a little, too", or "I wouldn't do it".

B):D What's the best way to get your blood pressure elevated and your pulse up? Come home after a weeklong business trip and read the SD forums where someone is complaining about the local cache hiders again...great!!!! I think I'll go hide LUMP #7 tonight.....

Yea it seem's he's not happy unless he's complaining about someone else's cache, IE my # 25 B)B)B)

Wow, mellow crowd! Not even a "yeah that bugs me a little, too", or "I wouldn't do it".

B)B) What's the best way to get your blood pressure elevated and your pulse up? Come home after a weeklong business trip and read the SD forums where someone is complaining about the local cache hiders again...great!!!! I think I'll go hide LUMP #7 tonight.....

Jahoadi:

Please try to hide it within our lunch radius. We've really enjoyed the ones we were able to reach . . . well, except for the buzzing one. B)

B)B) What's the best way to get your blood pressure elevated and your pulse up? Come home after a weeklong business trip and read the SD forums where someone is complaining about the local cache hiders again...great!!!! I think I'll go hide LUMP #7 tonight.....

Jahoadi:

Please try to hide it within our lunch radius. We've really enjoyed the ones we were able to reach . . . well, except for the buzzing one. B)

:D Yeah right Snake...LUMP #5 was my favorite and you still haven't gotten that one B) ...and it's in your circle. But, no worries.. sure I will make 7 close to your work..that's urban and it's also in a few people's circle that will have to put it on their ignore list......oops..should I be in the whining forum?jl

Edited by jahoadi and john

OK, we'll try to reach 5, but it's a pretty good stretch. I might have to sneak off early without Rooster for it B)

Jahoadi:

Please try to hide it within our lunch radius. We've really enjoyed the ones we were able to reach . . . well, except for the buzzing one. :D

B) Yeah right Snake...LUMP #5 was my favorite and you still haven't gotten that one :D ...and it's in your circle. But, no worries.. sure I will make 7 close to your work..that's urban and it's also in a few people's circle that will have to put it on their ignore list......oops..should I be in the whining forum?jl

B):D What's the best way to get your blood pressure elevated and your pulse up? Come home after a weeklong business trip and read the SD forums where someone is complaining about the local cache hiders again...great!!!! I think I'll go hide LUMP #7 tonight.....

Jahoadi:

:D Yeah right Snake...LUMP #5 was my favorite and you still haven't gotten that one :D ...and it's in your circle. But, no worries.. sure I will make 7 close to your work..that's urban and it's also in a few people's circle that will have to put it on their ignore list......oops..should I be in the whining forum?jl

Jodi- Here's an idea, maybe you, "Team Fatman" and "Unknown to You" should get together to hide a lame urban micro in a busy bus stop within sight of a company that sponsors a racecar somewhere, and then archive it and reenable it in the same spot every 6 months!! I would be overjoyed!! B)B) Oh, and make it a nano about 30 feet off the posted coordinates!

Seriously, there are some urban micros that are kinda creative, like Team Fatman's "Scum" or UtoU's "Psychopathic birdie". Haven't done any of your LUMP series, though.

Sorry I got your blood pressure up, don't take my complaints too seriously!

Oh, and if you do drop a LUMP in my home radius, remember, I can always drop another nasty puzzle with an evil hide in your home radius! B)

rjbloom & co: "Haven't done any of your LUMP series, though. "

;) I'm not surprised.......

:) To quote Thumper's dad ..." if you can't say somin' nice don't say nothin' at all....."

How about we all just go and find the cache's get the smiley face and not worry about what this person are that person has done. This is suppose to be fun. :( If not and you want to WHINE about it go to the new WHINE thread. :D

:( Whoooo Hoooo it's all about the numbers isn't it? :D

It's never about the numbers! Hey! It is about the numbers. Wow a site dedicated to numbers, who would have thought ;)

It's about the fun :)

Thatsa cool site, noticed your name on a few of them. There's even some other San Diego Cacher's.

It is cool because they have a lot of cool stats.

Here are a few of the interesting ones they made for me:

Average log size: 40.3 words

Biggest log: 267 words

Shortest log: 6 words

Longest caching drought: 211 days from 6/27/03 to 1/23/04

Best day: 3/05/05 - 101 finds

B) Whoooo Hoooo it's all about the numbers isn't it? B)

It's never about the numbers! Hey! It is about the numbers. Wow a site dedicated to numbers, who would have thought :(

It's about the fun :D

Thatsa cool site, noticed your name on a few of them. There's even some other San Diego Cacher's.

It is cool because they have a lot of cool stats.

Here are a few of the interesting ones they made for me:

Average log size: 40.3 words

Biggest log: 267 words

Shortest log: 6 words

Longest caching drought: 211 days from 6/27/03 to 1/23/04

Best day: 3/05/05 - 101 finds

When I first found the site, I didn't think much about it, but of course entered my info and it showed some cool stats :D as TrailGators said. It also helped me to find the one cache I double-logged for some reason ;) , now of course it hasn't helped me find those caches I found but forgot to log :) !

Best day: 6/04/07 - 47 finds

Approximate cache-to-cache distance: 3218.23 miles (5179.23 kilometres)

Active Caches: 1107 of the caches you've found are still active (96.2%)

Average log size: 60.9 words - Biggest Log: 719 words - Shortest Log: 2 words - Number of one-word logs: 0

;) I'm not surprised.......

:) To quote Thumper's dad ..." if you can't say somin' nice don't say nothin' at all....."

How about we all just go and find the cache's get the smiley face and not worry about what this person are that person has done. This is suppose to be fun. :( If not and you want to WHINE about it go to the new WHINE thread. :D

Well, I was trying to be funny with my last post. Clearly I don't have a future as a comedian.

:( I'm not surprised.......

;) To quote Thumper's dad ..." if you can't say somin' nice don't say nothin' at all....."

How about we all just go and find the cache's get the smiley face and not worry about what this person are that person has done. This is suppose to be fun. :) If not and you want to WHINE about it go to the new WHINE thread. :D

Well, I was trying to be funny with my last post. Clearly I don't have a future as a comedian.

:D

:huh: FTF still available. Check out the coords....

GC15RD1

Only 506.3 miles form home coords, do you think if I left right now I could still get the FTF. 0002014F.gif

Looks like someone got it.. and I was just about ready to go out.

Dang, there's a place y' wanna be!

80da8cd3-a40c-42bd-a5dc-9c32cfac767a.jpg

Where's the DQ?

Yer kidding, right?

Is John driving rental cars in the desert again? :huh::huh:

Medium chocolate-covered cherry Blizzard please.

Edited by SD Rowdies
:huh: FTF still available. Check out the coords....

GC15RD1

Only 506.3 miles form home coords, do you think if I left right now I could still get the FTF. 0002014F.gif

Looks like someone got it.. and I was just about ready to go out.

Dang, there's a place y' wanna be!

80da8cd3-a40c-42bd-a5dc-9c32cfac767a.jpg

Where's the DQ?

Yer kidding, right?

Is John driving rental cars in the desert again? :huh::(

Medium chocolate-covered cherry Blizzard please.

I'll have a raspberry cone! Mmmm! :huh:

Not sure where to post this query, as I've tried contacting the company that apparently produced the San Diego County Geocachers 2005 coin. :huh:

Basically, got one of this nifty coin in trade, but the tracking code and accompanying activation code printed on the coin flip don't match the tracking number on the coin! :huh:

I've tried tracking down an alternate place to get the activation code for the coin I have, but no luck so far.

Anyone out there associated with the 2005 coin know where I can get the activation code for my coin?

Thanks!

Edit: Never mind, got the code round-a-bout, coin activated now! :huh:

Edited by dflye

Just a FYI for anyone considering going for a hike in the Cleveland National Forest areas now that the weather has cooled off a bit . . . I drove to the Lawson Peak trailhead today to go for a hike up to "lostguy"'s still-unfound cache and the area is entirely closed. :rolleyes:

No hiking, no biking, no off-road vehicles, nada. :huh:

I disabled "Oh, Jeeeeze . . . Not another one . . . !" for now. I don't know about the other access points up that way and whether they are also blocked off by signs and caution tape.

Just a FYI for anyone considering going for a hike in the Cleveland National Forest areas now that the weather has cooled off a bit . . . I drove to the Lawson Peak trailhead today to go for a hike up to "lostguy"'s still-unfound cache and the area is entirely closed. :anitongue:

No hiking, no biking, no off-road vehicles, nada. :rolleyes:

I disabled "Oh, Jeeeeze . . . Not another one . . . !" for now. I don't know about the other access points up that way and whether they are also blocked off by signs and caution tape.

Cleveland National Forest is still marked as Extreme and most trails are closed. Did you approach from the North or the South-East side?

TA

Just a FYI for anyone considering going for a hike in the Cleveland National Forest areas now that the weather has cooled off a bit . . . I drove to the Lawson Peak trailhead today to go for a hike up to "lostguy"'s still-unfound cache and the area is entirely closed. :)

No hiking, no biking, no off-road vehicles, nada. :P

Cleveland National Forest is still marked as Extreme and most trails are closed. Did you approach from the North or the South-East side?

TA

After reading Miragees post, I went ahead and temporarily disabled my yet unfound cache that is located past Lawson Peak and between Miragees and the Team Adelos cache. Hopefully it will rain like crazy one night and then be great to hike the next morning. No use wasting a whole caching day raining.

Just a FYI for anyone considering going for a hike in the Cleveland National Forest areas now that the weather has cooled off a bit . . . I drove to the Lawson Peak trailhead today to go for a hike up to "lostguy"'s still-unfound cache and the area is entirely closed. :)

No hiking, no biking, no off-road vehicles, nada. :sad:

TA

After reading Miragees post, I went ahead and temporarily disabled my yet unfound cache that is located past Lawson Peak and between Miragees and the Team Adelos cache. Hopefully it will rain like crazy one night and then be great to hike the next morning. No use wasting a whole caching day raining.

Are there any Caches left in Horse thief canyon they say a thousand acres have burned so far.

Are there any Caches left in Horse thief canyon they say a thousand acres have burned so far.

Is there another fire? Or is it just that I'm not getting accurate information. What I heard was 300600 acres on a fire that started near Corte Madera Road just south of I-8 near Pine Valley. No caches there but if it continues to burn to the east it could affect the Bear Valley Loop caches...

In any case, none of this is going to make it likely that usage restrictions will be lifted any time soon. :)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Is there another fire? Or is it just that I'm not getting accurate information. What I heard was 300600 acres on a fire that started near Corte Madera Road just south of I-8 near Pine Valley. No caches there but if it continues to burn to the east it could affect the Bear Valley Loop caches...

In any case, none of this is going to make it likely that usage restrictions will be lifted any time soon. :)

one radio station says 600 and another said 1000, but they both said it started in Horse thief canyon. And it's still burning.

one radio station says 600 and another said 1000, but they both said it started in Horse thief canyon. And it's still burning.

All the TV stations and the Union-Trib are all saying Pine Valley within sight of I-8. Regardless, everyone is now saying 1000+ acres and they are worried about whether it will jump fire lines...at least it is burning east and away from Pine Valley at this point.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

All the TV stations and the Union-Trib are all saying Pine Valley within sight of I-8. Regardless, everyone is now saying 1000+ acres and they are worried about whether it will jump fire lines...at least it is burning east and away from Pine Valley at this point.

Here is a recent news article about the fire.

Another fire was just reported at Bell Valley road south of the 94 east of Harris Ranch Road. SDG&E had to deenergize a small branch line for the Fire Crews safety. This one does not appear to be as bad as the Pine Valley Fire. I just overheard on the radio that the Pine Valley fire has shifted south west & is not moving as fast as before. Hopefully the fire crews can get it somewhat contained & let that thing burn out.

I'm not sure about other caches in the area of the fire, but I took a few pictures today on my way to do the Foster Point cache.

I believe "Long Valley Peak 4,906'" succumbed to the flames. However, I think Chuy!'s caches on the other peak survived, unscathed.

Here are a few pictures, the first two of which I took while driving . . . :D

Rhetorical question: Which is more unsafe, pulling over on the shoulder of the freeway to take a picture when doing that is not allowed . . . or taking a picture while driving 60 mph?

a15b04ca-8a89-440f-b878-eb2336d4b21c.jpg

4d62ebd2-33d8-46e4-a9c6-e424ce48b613.jpg

dd1ce30f-152e-4b31-81a8-c4c12e191d3b.jpg

The "good" thing about this is that getting to the top of that amazing peak won't be such a tough bushwhack anymore . . . :D

I'm not sure about other caches in the area of the fire, but I took a few pictures today on my way to do the Foster Point cache.

I believe "Long Valley Peak 4,906'" succumbed to the flames. However, I think Chuy!'s caches on the other peak survived, unscathed.

Here are a few pictures, the first two of which I took while driving . . . :D

Rhetorical question: Which is more unsafe, pulling over on the shoulder of the freeway to take a picture when doing that is not allowed . . . or taking a picture while driving 60 mph?

a15b04ca-8a89-440f-b878-eb2336d4b21c.jpg

4d62ebd2-33d8-46e4-a9c6-e424ce48b613.jpg

dd1ce30f-152e-4b31-81a8-c4c12e191d3b.jpg

The "good" thing about this is that getting to the top of that amazing peak won't be such a tough bushwhack anymore . . . :D

... but what about the snakes?

Have a quick question for the friendly folks on this forum. I'm traveling to Russia in 3 more weeks. I'll do a tiny bit of caching close to the hotel. I'm taking extra batteries and should be Ok. Here's the question - I'm also taking my handheld Sony PSP which has an internal rechargable battery. Russia voltage is 220. The PSP is 110/220. What does that mean? Anyone who travels alot, do you know if I will be able to recharge the PSP. Thanks. Karen_in_Coronado

Have a quick question for the friendly folks on this forum. I'm traveling to Russia in 3 more weeks. I'll do a tiny bit of caching close to the hotel. I'm taking extra batteries and should be Ok. Here's the question - I'm also taking my handheld Sony PSP which has an internal rechargable battery. Russia voltage is 220. The PSP is 110/220. What does that mean? Anyone who travels alot, do you know if I will be able to recharge the PSP. Thanks. Karen_in_Coronado

Yeah, you just need an adapter than you can get anywhere (Target, dept. stores, travel stores, etc.)

Yeah, you just need an adapter than you can get anywhere (Target, dept. stores, travel stores, etc.)

Or do what I do and just bring 4 pieces of wire and Mickey Mouse wire the connection up.