The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Hey . . . how come this thread dropped halfway down the page? :D What happened to all the verbose San Diego Cachers? :lol:

What is everybody doing over the weekend? Is anything going on? :D

I'm sure I'll be racing around in the Jeep all over the east county (35+-miles from home) looking for 11 more of those "Historic" caches...

As long as you are visiting those caches anyway, would you mind signing my name in the log book? :DB)

Or you can sign mine! I probably don't even have to ask! :anibad:
Hey . . . how come this thread dropped halfway down the page? :D What happened to all the verbose San Diego Cachers? :lol:

I'm sure I'll be racing around in the Jeep all over the east county (35+-miles from home) looking for 11 more of those "Historic" caches...

As long as you are visiting those caches anyway, would you mind signing my name in the log book? :DB)

Sure thing. Just as soon as you pull the right cards out of the deck for me... :anibad:

Hey . . . how come this thread dropped halfway down the page? :) What happened to all the verbose San Diego Cachers? B)

As long as you are visiting those caches anyway, would you mind signing my name in the log book? :D:)

I need ten; I bet TRViolin has them all and he don't even know it.

May go out to Blair Valley-Montero Pass on Sunday morning; anyone interested?

:)

Hey . . . how come this thread dropped halfway down the page? :) What happened to all the verbose San Diego Cachers? :D

As long as you are visiting those caches anyway, would you mind signing my name in the log book? :D

B) we might be interested Chuy!..John will be here.

:)

Hey . . . how come this thread dropped halfway down the page? :) What happened to all the verbose San Diego Cachers? :D

As long as you are visiting those caches anyway, would you mind signing my name in the log book? :D

B) we might be interested Chuy!..John will be here.

Wish we could go but will be on vacation...

Hey . . . how come this thread dropped halfway down the page? :P What happened to all the verbose San Diego Cachers? :)

What is everybody doing over the weekend? Is anything going on? :P

As long as you are visiting those caches anyway, would you mind signing my name in the log book? :):)

We might be interested - any more details available? (Cache name, time, etc.)

I'm working on the Historic Cache Adventure. The required caches in Blair Valley area include Laura's Memorial Cache and Desert Peek-a-boo. Then, a drive to Montero Wash for Powder Can Cache. I won't stray much to grab other caches as I will need to get home by noon'ish - if I can make it at all. I'll know tomorrow. I'll have room for 2-3 cachers and some geodogs in my Tacoma.

Meet 0600 at Lake Jennings P/R.

Monday morning, I hope to hit the Lagunas.

I'm working on the Historic Cache Adventure. The required caches in Blair Valley area include Laura's Memorial Cache and Desert Peek-a-boo. Then, a drive to Montero Wash for Powder Can Cache. I won't stray much to grab other caches as I will need to get home by noon'ish - if I can make it at all. I'll know tomorrow. I'll have room for 2-3 cachers and some geodogs in my Tacoma.

Sunday working. Monday maybe.

Sunday working. Monday maybe.

I can do Monday morning for Phil's Memorial Cache? If that is the one you are going for that day, let me know what time you are heading up there. I will have room in my truck if anyone else wants to carpool.

Sunday morning I don't get off work until 8AM so I will pass on those for now in Blair Valley.

I can do Monday morning for Phil's Memorial Cache? If that is the one you are going for that day, let me know what time you are heading up there. I will have room in my truck if anyone else wants to carpool.

Sunday morning I don't get off work until 8AM so I will pass on those for now in Blair Valley.

I think alot of people would want/need Phil's Memorial Cache. It is the oldest in California after all. I need it..

Okay, Ginger! and I are in for Sunday and Monday, rain or shine (but maybe not lightning :) ). Mrs. Chuy! and my 9 yr old may join us on Monday to Phil's cache and Nobel; so, we will probably depart later, around 0800.

I got permission from Mr. Magoo to replace his Cougar Country cache if I don't find it; so, that's the route I'm taking to Phil's cache - via the Sunset Trail, click on #3.

Okay, Ginger! and I are in for Sunday and Monday, rain or shine (but maybe not lightning :) ). Mrs. Chuy! and my 9 yr old may join us on Monday to Phil's cache and Nobel; so, we will probably depart later, around 0800.

I got permission from Mr. Magoo to replace his Cougar Country cache if I don't find it; so, that's the route I'm taking to Phil's cache - via the Sunset Trail, click on #3.

:blink: Is it a hike Monday or offroading? Sunday is probably off for us..John has some silly legal meeting with a lawyer ( nothing to do with us..we're ok )...

Rooster and I have been thinking about doing Phil's a long time, and were planning on taking this route as well. We were saving it for a milestone, but looking ahead, by the time of our next milestone, there will likely be snow here . . . so we might see you on the trail, since we'd probably be leaving around the same time. . .

Rooster and I have been thinking about doing Phil's a long time, and were planning on taking this route as well. We were saving it for a milestone, but looking ahead, by the time of our next milestone, there will likely be snow here . . . so we might see you on the trail, since we'd probably be leaving around the same time. . .

All these entries need to go to the let's go caching together thread. Here is an entry from KAWIKATURN on doing a cool couple of caches on 1 Sep in the evening...

QUOTE(kawikaturn @ Aug 11 2007, 10:48 AM) post_snapback.gif

QUOTE(kawikaturn @ Aug 10 2007, 10:23 AM) post_snapback.gif

Doug from dougandsuzy and I are planning to hit Indiana Jones: The Lost City of Atlantis in La Jolla Sat. Morning early. Anyone want to join us, you are welcome.

Well, so much for that idea. We got drenched. Let's plan another attempt with a lower tide. Who can join me 9/1 @ 0600? Also, do Vintage: Coastal Hike while we are in the area.

Changed the time to 5PM. See the San Diego Geocachers meetup.com site for details.

Edited by jahoadi and john

All these entries need to go to the let's go caching together thread. Here is an entry from KAWIKATURN on doing a cool couple of caches on 1 Sep in the evening...

Doug from dougandsuzy and I are planning to hit Indiana Jones: The Lost City of Atlantis in La Jolla Sat. Morning early. Anyone want to join us, you are welcome.

Well, so much for that idea. We got drenched. Let's plan another attempt with a lower tide. Who can join me 9/1 @ 0600? Also, do Vintage: Coastal Hike while we are in the area.

Changed the time to 5PM. See the San Diego Geocachers meetup.com site for details.

Thread Police! Thread Police! :blink::)

Thread Police! Thread Police! :blink::)

Why would people want to put events in the events thread? :D It's never going to happen with this bunch. :D
Okay, moving to the events thread - sheesh :) .
I'm sure you remember what it was like before we had that events thread. You had to sift through many logs in this thread to check if something was going on. Many times you would miss things because this thread is so big. So the events thread made it a lot easier to find out about events. It also makes it more likely that people will join you because a lot of people watch that thread now. I get emails when people post to it. But lately that thread had turned into the Banter thread, so you may want to check if events are being posted on the Banter thread.... :):blink:

Is this weekend HOT enough for everyone. Not much Caching getting done I bet 000200A3.gif A/C, watch TV ,and drink beer the only thing better then Caching on a hot day 00020063.gif

Just a quick trip down to Cedar Creek Falls...

That place is like a furnace. :) There was a CITO event there a couple of years ago. It was aorund 100. I ran out of water on the way out and was really burning up from the heat. There is a much easier way down there, but it requires a long drive around to the other side of the valley.
I get to have some fun in the heat tommorrow as I attempt on clearing much of the MTRP caches I have left out there. I am going to carry a cache on me incase some one finds my dried out bones, at least they can log it.

Make sure you leave some $$$ in your pocket as a FTF prize! :D:D:D

Isn't the GPSr enough? :D

:D Time to go cacheing out on the coast. Weather a little bit cooler. :D

I spent Sunday morning caching through MTRP till it hit 100. Then I went over to Gnome Park off the 76 and finished my caching day there till it too got above 100..... Please make it stop!

If you can believe this forecast, which I'm having a hard time doing, we're going to have highs in the 70's the rest of the week. :D:D:D

:D Time to go cacheing out on the coast. Weather a little bit cooler. :D

I spent Sunday morning caching through MTRP till it hit 100. Then I went over to Gnome Park off the 76 and finished my caching day there till it too got above 100..... Please make it stop!

If you can believe this forecast, which I'm having a hard time doing, we're going to have highs in the 70's the rest of the week. :D:D:D
That's problably true for the coast. For us inlanders it's going to be a bit warmer than that but a lot better than it has been:

130dc9ef-f55c-48f7-a904-3eb387959c1e.jpg

Edited by TrailGators

I've noticed a few cachers sometimes replace their muggled caches with a brand new cache with a new number, rather than just replacing their old cache. What do you guys think of that? Here I am, opinionated Ron, stating my opinion for one such cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0b-1b02c15f88cb

From the previous logs, no one made a negative comment at all, so I presume this is considered perfectly fine and normal.

Despite my post and log I'm really not that bothered by it, just a little. But I suppose there's nothing I can do about it, just like a recent rash of nuisance urban caches!

I've noticed a few cachers sometimes replace their muggled caches with a brand new cache with a new number, rather than just replacing their old cache. What do you guys think of that? Here I am, opinionated Ron, stating my opinion for one such cache:

From the previous logs, no one made a negative comment at all, so I presume this is considered perfectly fine and normal.

Despite my post and log I'm really not that bothered by it, just a little. But I suppose there's nothing I can do about it, just like a recent rash of nuisance urban caches!

It's easier and better for you just to hit the ignore button for the ones that bug you. ;)

I wouldn't say it is "normal" since it doesn't happen all that often. It really doesn't matter to me, though, whether the old cache owner replaces the cache or a new cache owner replaces the cache. Either way, it's a new cache listing and it can be found or not as one pleases.

Regarding the normality of this, I am often puzzled by different cachers behavior (and probably there are many who are puzzled by my behavior) but I have found little value in worrying about it... ;)

I wouldn't say it is "normal" since it doesn't happen all that often. It really doesn't matter to me, though, whether the old cache owner replaces the cache or a new cache owner replaces the cache. Either way, it's a new cache listing and it can be found or not as one pleases.

Regarding the normality of this, I am often puzzled by different cachers behavior (and probably there are many who are puzzled by my behavior) but I have found little value in worrying about it... ;)

Ditto... I've heard that the question is often posed to some of the local reviewers, and the answer is typically, "Whatever floats your boat. No rules, just right..."

I can think of several reasons to do that actually, for example:

• New cache type (we changed a multi to a traditional in the same spot)
  • New cache theme (maybe the hider had a falling out with the person the earlier cache was named after ;) )
  • Cleverer cache (ie lame film canister to super camo'd fake tree trunk)

What annoyed me one time was when someone moved a cache that I'd found far away from where I found it (more than a mile). I'd have liked to have found the "new" one but couldn't since I'd already "found" it in the old location. ;) I doubt that happens much either.

I can think of several reasons to do that actually, for example:
  • Cleverer cache (ie lame film canister to super camo'd fake tree trunk)

That's actually a great reason! Upgrading a cache after you've learned some tricks of the trade should always be more than OK! ;)

Another reason would be if your cache was in an awesome location, you could create a new cache to entice people to visit the spot again!

Edited by TrailGators

"What do you guys think of that?" Relax and let the guy with a 169 hides of which the vast majority are quality hides do what he wants and if doesn't suit your geostandards then don't go re-find it.

"What do you guys think of that?" Relax and let the guy with a 169 hides of which the vast majority are quality hides do what he wants and if doesn't suit your geostandards then don't go re-find it.

Exactly, I have yet to see anywhere on GC.com for any listing where the guideline states that all who read this cache listing must agree with the validity of the hide or anywhere that it states if you read this cache listing you must go find this cache. Although... That would make a good ALR for my next cache, make it members only and if I see your name on the audit log, then you must find the cache within 96 hours or, or or something ;)

If it met the listing guidelines and the reviewer saw no problem with it, then it is a perfectly good hide, and thanks to the hider on all his great caches.

Be glad you live in a cache rich enviorment and have the very large selection of cache hides to choose from, you can seek only those that interest you and still have a great time on your caching days. It is a game, past-time or boredom reliever or really anything YOU choose to make it, so if you choose to make it an irritant, there is nobody to blame but yourself.

Wow, mellow crowd! Not even a "yeah that bugs me a little, too", or "I wouldn't do it".

I imagine you would probably get more of a rise out of someone if you raised this issue in the New Jersey Thread...

:laughing:

I have so many thoughts about this but I can't put it to words. ..basically, if a cache is there when I get there, I am happy. Assuming that I find it. :ph34r: