The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Only 5 more posts and this thread will be at 12000 :unsure:^_^:mad::(

Really? Don't you mean 4? :unsure:

I'm pretty sure both of you meant to say 3!

No I think you meant to say 2!!!

One more! :D

Edit: Oops, I guess I got it! :D

Congratulations, Pat! It's only fitting, as you are one of the most prolific posters! ^_^

I was not trying to post that one but you clicked at almost the same time as me. So I would like to share the honors with you! ^_^ OK now what do we get?! B)
Only 5 more posts and this thread will be at 12000 :blink::laughing::DB)

Really? Don't you mean 4? :D

One more! :blink:

Edit: Oops, I guess I got it! B)

Congratulations, Pat! It's only fitting, as you are one of the most prolific posters! :blink:

I was not trying to post that one but you clicked at almost the same time as me. So I would like to share the honors with you! :D OK now what do we get?! :(

I would be happy to pat you on the back at the next event!

:(

Only 5 more posts and this thread will be at 12000 :laughing::blink::DB)

Really? Don't you mean 4? :D

One more! :(

Edit: Oops, I guess I got it! B)

Congratulations, Pat! It's only fitting, as you are one of the most prolific posters! :blink:

I was not trying to post that one but you clicked at almost the same time as me. So I would like to share the honors with you! :D OK now what do we get?! :(

I would be happy to pat you on the back at the next event!

B)

That's OK pal.... :blink: Edited by TrailGators
Only 5 more posts and this thread will be at 12000 :blink::blink::(B)

Really? Don't you mean 4? :(

One more! B)

Edit: Oops, I guess I got it! :P

Congratulations, Pat! It's only fitting, as you are one of the most prolific posters! :D

I was not trying to post that one but you clicked at almost the same time as me. So I would like to share the honors with you! :blink: OK now what do we get?! :D

You are too kind, Pat! I am so honored to be in such elevated company! Yeah, a prize would be cool! :laughing::DB)

For those that may be interested in seeing pictures of our Whitney hike, you can find them here.

Since I did not make it to the top, I don't have pics from the peak. :huh:

I'll make it next year! :lol:

Nice Photos! I like the early morning shots especially. And at least one of those marmots ought to make an appearance on the Critters thread... :anitongue:

Condolences on not making the summit, but as you say "...next year!" :lol:

For those that may be interested in seeing pictures of our Whitney hike, you can find them here.

Since I did not make it to the top, I don't have pics from the peak. :lol:

I'll make it next year! :huh:

Nice Photos! I like the early morning shots especially. And at least one of those marmots ought to make an appearance on the Critters thread... :anitongue:

Condolences on not making the summit, but as you say "...next year!" :huh:

Very cool photos Randy. I used one for my desktop background today. :lol:

Here are only a few from the top with 2 short movies. Both Don and Patrick took a bunch, we'll have to wait for them to post.

:laughing: Wow!! Again, great job devhead and thanks for sharing the pics and video!! Sure is desolate up there. :laughing:

We also enjoyed all of your pictures!! What a trip ! Thanks so much for sharing with those of us that are waiting patiently for the escalator to be installed!! :(

The Splashes :laughing::ph34r:

FYI....Ladies, be careful out there!!

FMan tries to grab woman in Mission Trails Park

UNION-TRIBUNE BREAKING NEWS TEAM

3:06 p.m. August 8, 2007

Safety tips for women

Try to exercise with others, not alone.

Be aware of your surroundings.

Keep a cell phone with you but don't get distracted by using it.

If you listen to music while exercising, keep the volume down or use only one headphone so you can hear what is happening around you.

Notify family members or friends of your exercise route and schedule in case you don't return on time.

– Source: San Diego Police Department

SAN DIEGO – A man tried to grab a woman's arm as she left Mission Trails Regional Park early Wednesday morning, police said.

The woman told officers she had been exercising and was on Mission Gorge Road near El Banquero Place about 7 a.m. after when the man tried to grab her.

She described the man as Latino, in his late 20s or early 30s, clean shaven with medium colored skin, about 5 feet 7 inches tall and 165 pounds. He had dark hair in a long ponytail, wore a black T-shirt and black jeans and has a tribal band tattoo wrapping around his left arm.

She said the man left in a black, older model Chevy Astro Van with Baja California license plates, headed east on Mission Gorge Road toward Santee.

Police said a separate incident reported about two and a half weeks ago in the late morning hours may be connected.

In that instance, two women were leaving Mission Trails Park after exercising and noticed a black van circling the area. The van pulled up nearby and one of them used a cell phone to call for help. Police said the driver saw the woman on her phone and drove away toward Santee on Mission Gorge Road.

Edited by blonds run amuck

FYI....Ladies, be careful out there!!

FMan tries to grab woman in Mission Trails Park

I had NOTHING to do with it. I didn't do it, nobody saw me, and you can't prove anything!!

p.s., FATTBOY didn't get stuck either...

Edited by FlagMan

Here's the list of caches archived in MTRP:

GCVKVB Deliverance

GCVN30 Cup of GI Joe

GCVQZB MTRP 2006 Cache War - Harmon's Trail of Tears

GCVG0N Harmon Needs a Blood Transfusion

GCVYQT Take Cover

GCW1B9 MTRP Cache War - Aspirin

GCVF3F I Need Water

GCRDK0 Another Hill, Another Cache

GCR9RJ A Cache Too Far?

Plus three Mystery/Puzzle caches that will be fine once confirmed that final coords are not on the base:

GCQ0BD That Was The Year That Was

GCVY5J She Blinded Me With Geoscience

GCN9N0 Somewhere in San Diego

FYI:

Thanks so much for getting back to us on this issue. The owners of the boxes

can contact my office and we can coordinate pickup. We ask that this take

place within the next 21 days, as we have limited storage space. Thank you.

Sincerely,

1st Lt Jill A. Leyden

External Information Officer

MCAS Miramar Consolidated Public Affairs Shop

Comm (858) 577-1596 DSN 267-1596

Here's the list of caches archived in MTRP:

GCVKVB Deliverance

GCVN30 Cup of GI Joe

GCVQZB MTRP 2006 Cache War - Harmon's Trail of Tears

GCVG0N Harmon Needs a Blood Transfusion

GCVYQT Take Cover

GCW1B9 MTRP Cache War - Aspirin

GCVF3F I Need Water

GCRDK0 Another Hill, Another Cache

GCR9RJ A Cache Too Far?

Plus three Mystery/Puzzle caches that will be fine once confirmed that final coords are not on the base:

GCQ0BD That Was The Year That Was

GCVY5J She Blinded Me With Geoscience

GCN9N0 Somewhere in San Diego

FYI:

Thanks so much for getting back to us on this issue. The owners of the boxes

can contact my office and we can coordinate pickup. We ask that this take

place within the next 21 days, as we have limited storage space. Thank you.

Sincerely,

1st Lt Jill A. Leyden

External Information Officer

MCAS Miramar Consolidated Public Affairs Shop

Comm (858) 577-1596 DSN 267-1596

Thanks for posting this information, Marko!

Happy Birthday, FATTBOY! :D<_< <_<

Hey Trailgators, did you ever Google your slogan? There are so many suggestions!

My favorite is "Always wear underwear" - very sound advice! <_<:DB)

It literally translates as "Always where under where." I took two years of Latin in high school and that is pretty much all I remember. :D It also creates a nice double entendre for geocaching, so I decided to use it for my slogan. <_< Edited by TrailGators

Since I did not make it to the top, I don't have pics from the peak. :cry:

I'll make it next year! :cry:

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing them. You have some incredible photos in there..

Thanks for all the great comments. B)

Basically, they are swapping out the old ground control network for a new one. Under the old system, there were times when the ground controllers couldn't see certain sats. With the new network, they should be able to see all the sats all the time.

But as a geocacher you won't notice any difference (unless they seriously screw up the swapout... :( )

One interesting quote:

At a media roundtable on Aug. 16, Lt. Gen. Michael Hamel, commander of Air Force Space and Missile Command, said: "The Air Force is applying the same rigor for this transition as we do with our launch systems. If at any point there's a problem, we have the ability to transition back."

Comment: As much as he is trying to compare the two things, they really aren't the same. With earth bound infrastructure, it's pretty rare that you don't have the option to go back. A lot of work goes into making sure the fallbacks are in place so that you can try again tomorrow... With a launch, however, there comes a point where the fire is lit and putting the vehicle back on the pad so that you can try again tomorrow becomes a heck of a lot of work... :huh:

:tired: In case anyone's in the market for a GPSr I saw a Garmin Map60CSX on sale at REI for $299.....what a deal...we paid over $400 when it first came out...
Ah, very tempting - I like REI's warranty! But.. I'd have to get new maps, won't I? (have CS now) :anibad:
:anibad: In case anyone's in the market for a GPSr I saw a Garmin Map60CSX on sale at REI for $299.....what a deal...we paid over $400 when it first came out...
Ah, very tempting - I like REI's warranty! But.. I'd have to get new maps, won't I? (have CS now) :tired:

Don't think so I used the same maps for my wifes Csx and my etrex legend cs. I think you get at least two codes for your mapset.

:anibad: In case anyone's in the market for a GPSr I saw a Garmin Map60CSX on sale at REI for $299.....what a deal...we paid over $400 when it first came out...
Ah, very tempting - I like REI's warranty! But.. I'd have to get new maps, won't I? (have CS now) :tired:

Don't think so I used the same maps for my wifes Csx and my etrex legend cs. I think you get at least two codes for your mapset.

This is true. You can even have Garmin give you a new unlock code and cancel the old one if you switch GPSs. I had to do this when they swapped out my 60CS for a new one a couple of years ago.

By the way, the new City Navigator 2008 map only give you one unlock code.

This is true. You can even have Garmin give you a new unlock code and cancel the old one if you switch GPSs. I had to do this when they swapped out my 60CS for a new one a couple of years ago.

BTW, this may depend on the circumstances...in other words, if they didn't do this for you when they swapped GPSrs, they'd probably have a lawsuit...

But moving the unlock code to a new unit that you just bought? If you believe the text on their website, it doesn't sound like it's going to happen...

Important note: Once you complete the unlock process, Garmin cannot make changes to your coverage area, transfer unlock codes to different Garmin devices or give refunds or exchanges for MapSource unlock codes. Unlock codes are GPS unit specific and cannot be transferred to another GPS unit. Please be very careful to select the regions you want to unlock. Please pay close attention to the Unlock Policy statements and FAQ’s on this website for very important information on how unlock will apply to your specific situation.

:) In case anyone's in the market for a GPSr I saw a Garmin Map60CSX on sale at REI for $299.....what a deal...we paid over $400 when it first came out...

I think the REI price is $349 and Garmin is giving a 50 dollar rebate.

Current online REI 60Csx sale

Maybe the $249.00 price was a one-off returned or reconditioned item.

The Garmin mapping-software policy has gone too far. Maybe we can

blame it on the just-empty-every-pocket (Jeep) people for their free

spending ways. :lol::lol:

Edited by SD Rowdies
:anitongue: Wasn't the rain this morning awesome???? It rinsed everything off and was great. Of course the humidity that followed wasn't fun, but we loved the short shower.

Passingwind and me got wet Caching in Bonita this morning, felt good. later in the afternoon in MTRP it was hot and muggy. 0002006A.gif But what the heck we were Caching and sweating.

:anitongue: Wasn't the rain this morning awesome???? It rinsed everything off and was great. Of course the humidity that followed wasn't fun, but we loved the short shower.
It was thundering here. I just slept in and enjoyed it. It is pretty sticky outside now.

Good 1/4'' in Crest with Thunder. No watering today!!!!

All it did here was put spots all over my truck :anitongue:

I was up at San Jacinto with a muggle friend from work, and we almost turned around with thunder and lightning right above us! But we made it to the summit! WoooHooooo! I actually made the summit this time!!

Hey . . . how come this thread dropped halfway down the page? :D What happened to all the verbose San Diego Cachers? :lol:

What is everybody doing over the weekend? Is anything going on? :D

I'm sure I'll be racing around in the Jeep all over the east county (35+-miles from home) looking for 11 more of those "Historic" caches...

Hey . . . how come this thread dropped halfway down the page? :D What happened to all the verbose San Diego Cachers? :D

What is everybody doing over the weekend? Is anything going on? B)

I'm sure I'll be racing around in the Jeep all over the east county (35+-miles from home) looking for 11 more of those "Historic" caches...

As long as you are visiting those caches anyway, would you mind signing my name in the log book? :D:lol: