The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Is it as scary as it looks? Not sure about the spiders and him getting bit or something like that.
It depends on the kid. You have to walk through the woods at night. You will see a few spider webs along the way. That might creep out a small number of kids, but most would like it. You will be right next to him so that should make him more secure. You can always quit if it's too much for him. :unsure: Edited by TrailGators
Is it as scary as it looks? Not sure about the spiders and him getting bit or something like that.
It depends on the kid. You have to walk through the woods at night. You will see a few spider webs along the way. That might creep out a small number of kids, but most would like it. You will be right next to him so that should make him more secure. You can always quit if it's too much for him. :unsure:

I was just about to post a similar message. It really depends on the kid and how secure he feels. The night we (Ms. LLOT and I) did it, there were all sorts of rustling noises and what not. Nothing to worry about really, but it would have been easy to let our imaginations run wild... There is the potential for it to be a lot of fun. And there is the potential for the experience to be a bit too intense. If you do go, keep an eye on how he's taking things and be prepared to abort if it looks like it might be a little too much.

Everybody present and accounted for? :)

Search Called Off For Body Inside Drainage Pipe

http://www.cbs8.com/stories/story.97913.html

With any luck at all it's Cegrube.

Speaking of which, how are you knees doing?

You want photos by any chance? The scabs are gone but now I've got ugly marks where the scabs were. Thanks for asking by the way, always glad to share.

Edited by SD Rowdies

c1cc0420-3b02-42ff-ac27-440c8fe7b245.jpg

Team Fatman's Geo/Turkey HuntingTruck.

1983 Toyota 4X4.

It has a locker in the rear and limted slip in the front.

529 Gears. 5 Speed.

Mastercraft seats with 4 pt harness.

It's not pretty, and I don't have to worry about the paint.

It has 4 Blisten shocks hooped in the rear and dual Blisten shocks hooped in the front.

Can't wait for the campout.

T-minus six hours before the Peak-a-Boo Assault Team takes its first steps towards the Mr. Whitney Summit and its assault on this cache... Wish us luck (and, no Harmon, don't say, "Y'all gonna die!)!!

The team (minus Zatyko who joined us later):

ca91e827-1f87-4b23-9588-86992428d4e7.jpg

I heard last month that they installed an escalator up to that summit so maybe you'll make it in one ... er ... in four or five big pieces. Don't forget to have fun and don't forget the photos.

Edited by SD Rowdies

T-minus six hours before the Peak-a-Boo Assault Team takes its first steps towards the Mr. Whitney Summit and its assault on this cache... Wish us luck (and, no Harmon, don't say, "Y'all gonna die!)!!

GL guys, We finally got ThePolarBear back into some cold weather. I have a surprise waiting for you once you reach the summit!

Speaking as one who's been there: Y'all are gonna hurt a lot! (And you'll have a blast!)

8b7124e4-396a-4a28-bbd1-fdc0bb610225.jpg

Good luck! (And don't forget the number 1 rule of mountaineering: Don't let the summit overrule wisdom. If you are alive, you have the option to try again...)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

GL guys, We finally got ThePolarBear back into some cold weather. I have a surprise waiting for you once you reach the summit!

Just got a call from ThePolarBear from the summit! Looks like they made it and didn't die! Well the trip is only half way over.

Someone was playing a Flute in the background.... I think the altitude sickness got to him

Congratulations!!!

Just got a call from ThePolarBear from the summit! Looks like they made it and didn't die! Well the trip is only half way over.

Someone was playing a Flute in the background.... I think the altitude sickness got to him

Congratulations!!!

Congratulations!!! :)

Speaking as one who's been there: Y'all are gonna hurt a lot! (And you'll have a blast!)

Good luck! (And don't forget the number 1 rule of mountaineering: Don't let the summit overrule wisdom. If you are alive, you have the option to try again...)

Randy (Thunder-4) and I are alive, but we did not make the summit. I'm sure that Don (Zatyko) Steven (devhead) and obviously Patrick (Polar Bear) did make the summit. Randy made it to 12K and I made it half way up the switchbacks to 13K. We're both clean and shaven and looking at a nice meal, while the rest are still trying to make it down... :)

Randy (Thunder-4) and I are alive, but we did not make the summit. I'm sure that Don (Zatyko) Steven (devhead) and obviously Patrick (Polar Bear) did make the summit. Randy made it to 12K and I made it half way up the switchbacks to 13K. We're both clean and shaven and looking at a nice meal, while the rest are still trying to make it down... :)

As long as all are safe then the summit will still be there. Great effort and congratulations for even attempting such a daunting task.

As long as all are safe then the summit will still be there. Great effort and congratulations for even attempting such a daunting task.

I agree with "lostguy." Those are my sentiments as well. I'm glad you made it down safely, FlagMan. That Lone Pine/Alabama Hills area is one of my favorites. It was cool to see that you logged the "Movie Flats Virtual" and the "Manzanar Virtual" I have on a Memorable Cache Bookmark list. B) Those logs made me want to start planning another trip up 395. :)

On a different subject. Does anyone know if the fire in MTRP got to or near any caches today? B)

I agree! I'm glad to hear that everyone is safe! :)

Glad to hear you are ok and thanks for putting the names of your group.

99cdc650-582a-414e-8cfc-33faf86aca49.jpg

Here's the rear end to my truck, It's fully gusseted and has a traction bar.

B)B) Ahhhhh...Uhmmmm....Errrrr..I guess it's a "pretty" rear end??? :(:P Congrats T.F. r/ jodi

It's a toy thing. :):):)

Congratulations, John, on your new truck! Can't wait to see it in action in October at the event. Any other trips planned?

Robyn :D

99cdc650-582a-414e-8cfc-33faf86aca49.jpg

Here's the rear end to my truck, It's fully gusseted and has a traction bar.

B)B) Ahhhhh...Uhmmmm....Errrrr..I guess it's a "pretty" rear end??? :(:P Congrats T.F. r/ jodi

It's a toy thing. :):):)

Congratulations, John, on your new truck! Can't wait to see it in action in October at the event. Any other trips planned?

Robyn :D

Getting the seat brackets on friday from Mastercraft and will get them installed and as of now no plans.

Thanks

Randy (Thunder-4) and I are alive, but we did not make the summit. I'm sure that Don (Zatyko) Steven (devhead) and obviously Patrick (Polar Bear) did make the summit. Randy made it to 12K and I made it half way up the switchbacks to 13K. We're both clean and shaven and looking at a nice meal, while the rest are still trying to make it down... :laughing:

Holly Altitude Sickness!!!! Congratulations to all of you !!!

I lectured at Breckenridge a couple of years ago and had difficulty getting up the stairs with my luggage! :unsure: It was a real shock after growing up at 7000 ft and hitting several of the higher peaks in Colorado while in school there.

Sorry I missed it . . . How about posting pictures when you all get home.

Cheers, Jeff

Edited by drexotic

Randy (Thunder-4) and I are alive, but we did not make the summit. I'm sure that Don (Zatyko) Steven (devhead) and obviously Patrick (Polar Bear) did make the summit. Randy made it to 12K and I made it half way up the switchbacks to 13K. We're both clean and shaven and looking at a nice meal, while the rest are still trying to make it down... :huh:

I lectured at Breckenridge a couple of years ago and had difficulty getting up the stairs with my luggage! :o It was a real shock after growing up at 7000 ft and hitting several of the higher peaks in Colorado while in school there.

Cheers, Jeff

A HUGE...........WOW !!!!........FROM THE SPLASHES :unsure::laughing::blink:

YOU GUYS DEFINITELY.....................ROCK!!............pun intended :huh:

Waiting for the pictures! WOW AGAIN~

Steve & Janie :P:P

Randy (Thunder-4) and I are alive, but we did not make the summit. I'm sure that Don (Zatyko) Steven (devhead) and obviously Patrick (Polar Bear) did make the summit. Randy made it to 12K and I made it half way up the switchbacks to 13K. We're both clean and shaven and looking at a nice meal, while the rest are still trying to make it down... :blink:

I lectured at Breckenridge a couple of years ago and had difficulty getting up the stairs with my luggage! :P It was a real shock after growing up at 7000 ft and hitting several of the higher peaks in Colorado while in school there.

Cheers, Jeff

A HUGE...........WOW !!!!........FROM THE SPLASHES :laughing::unsure::huh:

YOU GUYS DEFINITELY.....................ROCK!!............pun intended :huh:

Waiting for the pictures! WOW AGAIN~

Steve & Janie :o:P

What fun, wish I had been along. Next time you can carry me.

Harmon

O Lordy, look what they've done to me now.

My own "Floodgate IHO: Harmon" cache near Fallon, Nevada

Jahoadi and John,

This has been some week of Geocaching ... three-thousand finds and now this.

I just knew that I would live to regret that photo when Splashette was taking it.

I'm stunned. Does this really mean that making wisecracks will be rewarded?

Dang! how th' heck am I going to be FTF on this one?

Humbly,

Harmon

SD Rowdies &

Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies

My own Floodgate IHO Harmon cache near Fallon, Nevada

Jahoadi and John,

This has been some week of Geocaching ... three-thousand finds and now this. I just knew that I would live to regret that photo when Splashette was taking it.

Humbly,

Harmon

SD Rowdies &

Sandy Creek Cowboys

:D:D:( I LOVE it...an empty ammo can in Harmon's honor!!!!! Did ya notice the comment about the donkeys? :D

My own Floodgate IHO Harmon cache near Fallon, Nevada

Jahoadi and John,

This has been some week of Geocaching ... three-thousand finds and now this.

I just knew that I would live to regret that photo when Splashette was taking it.

Humbly,

Harmon

SD Rowdies &

Sandy Creek Cowboys

:D:D:( I LOVE it...an empty ammo can in Harmon's honor!!!!! Did ya notice the comment about the donkeys? :D

Yeah, sure, like I would miss that crack. In my case it would be a cousin of a donkey that has that 'J' name.

Can't believe my Fallon days have returned to haunt me.

Anybody got a recipe for Humble Pie?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Humble PUD Pie? :( OK, you asked for it...

Harmon's Humble Pineapple Upside Down Pie

2 pie crusts

1 (20-1/2-ounce) can pineapple tidbits

Water

3 tablespoons cornstarch

3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed, divided

2 tablespoons lemon juice

6 tablespoons butter, divided

1/2 cup pecan halves

Drain pineapple. Add enough water to pineapple syrup to make 1-1/4 cups.

Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup brown sugar in saucepan. Add lemon juice and pineapple syrup/water mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and clear. Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons butter, stirring until it melts. Add pineapple.

Place remaining 4 tablespoons butter in bottom of 9-inch pie pan. Place in 425-degree oven until butter is melted. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 tablespoon water. Arrange pecan halves, rounded side down, around bottom and sides of pan. Carefully line pan with pastry. Spoon in pineapple mixture. Adjust top crust, flute edges and cut vents.

To catch drippings, place pie on foil in the oven. Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes. Turn out, upside down, on serving plate immediately. Cool on rack before cutting. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.

Humble PUD Pie? :( OK, you asked for it...

2 pie crusts

Water

3 tablespoons cornstarch

1/2 cup pecan halves

Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup brown sugar in saucepan. Add lemon juice and pineapple syrup/water mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and clear. Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons butter, stirring until it melts. Add pineapple.

Place remaining 4 tablespoons butter in bottom of 9-inch pie pan. Place in 425-degree oven until butter is melted. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 tablespoon water. Arrange pecan halves, rounded side down, around bottom and sides of pan. Carefully line pan with pastry. Spoon in pineapple mixture. Adjust top crust, flute edges and cut vents.

To catch drippings, place pie on foil in the oven. Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes. Turn out, upside down, on serving plate immediately. Cool on rack before cutting. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.

Harmon - wewill expect to see this dessert on the table this Sunday...!! :D (Sounds delicious!)

Humble PUD Pie? ^_^ OK, you asked for it...

2 pie crusts

Water

3 tablespoons cornstarch

1/2 cup pecan halves

Yum! anythang with th' word "drippin's" in it has to be double-delicious. Thanks.