The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Introducing the new FlagManMobile! For a while there, I was feeling Jeepless in SD...

7bce7f83-819e-41f1-8d6f-a772e93c1085.jpg

b431f483-603c-43ff-b536-677ad287ccd9.jpg

Way Cool!

Now, I don't see a winch. What if you get stuck? You're gonna need a winch.

And hooks. Get some hooks too.

I'll bet it's not armored. You're gonna want to invest in some armor!

And don't forget air. How are you gonna air down?

Plus fixing the suspension and a new tire rack.

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW MONEY PIT! :anibad::P

I obviously have jeep envy :D

:)

Don't forget the roll bars

and the lockers

and the fatter axles

and the front and rear lockers

and the bikini top (is there a bikini bottom? :D )

and and and.....

I have Jeep envy too!

Someday! B)

... and the Halogen lighting kit

and the Robyn fenders

and the towbar

and the RV to pull the towbar.

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

It's never ending! My husband's a happy camper, though. He knows exactly what to get me for any holiday gift. I leave the off road magazines laying around with the cool new stuff circled in red!

Congratulations, Flagman! Can't wait to see it in use!

Robyn :D

Edited by Team Reid
Introducing the new FlagManMobile! For a while there, I was feeling Jeepless in SD...

Way Cool!

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW MONEY PIT! :anibad::)

I obviously have jeep envy B)

:D

Don't forget the roll bars

and the lockers

and the fatter axles

and the front and rear lockers

and the bikini top (is there a bikini bottom? :D )

and and and.....

I have Jeep envy too!

Someday! :D

... and the Halogen lighting kit

and the Robyn fenders

and the towbar

and the RV to pull the towbar.

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

It's never ending! My husband's a happy camper, though. He knows exactly what to get me for any holiday gift. I leave the off road magazines laying around with the cool new stuff circled in red!

Congratulations, Flagman! Can't wait to see it in use!

Robyn :D

Thanks, everyone! Keep those lists coming. I'll just turn the Jeep and your lists over to Slaby or Ruscal along with a deed to our house and let them go to work! :P

Edited by FlagMan

:anibad: I bet you won't have trouble getting the Flagsons to go geocaching now!!! Congrats!

YAHOO !!!! :) Let the adventure begin!

The Splash household was really hoping for a Jeep ~~

Hmmmmmmm, can Moab be far behind????? :P

I don' know folks...that's got to be the skinniest jeep I've ever seen...(or is it that the tires are so big that it just looks skinny?) :anibad:

So what happened to that yellow FJ you were gonna get...?

Don't worry flagman, I love it! :P

We will get some dirt on those tires on start on something simple like Bear Valley, or the Los Pinos trail, then there is the Big Bear 4x4 Campout thats happening Aug 17th-19th. I also would go to Hungry Valley with you. That is a great place to roll in. Miller Jeep Trail is over there. :) (I haven't done that one yet)

TA

What does Max think :D .

I think he liked the old blue Jeep better, 'cause he ddn't have to jump so high to get into it... :D

We have to help lift Murphy up into the Liberty now :D

It's hell getting old, isn't it Harmon?

:D

Way Cool!

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW MONEY PIT! :D:D

I obviously have jeep envy :D

Congrats and condolences Tom! Now let the MONEY flow.

Do I need to make you a hotel reservation for Moab? We are set for September 28th-October 5th.

Hope to meet ya' on the trail real soon.

Later,

$kimmer (and The Vulture)

Nice Jeep, FlagMan! :laughing:

Of the newly-Archived caches, I had only found one. Wheeeeuu! That was a hike I had not been looking forward to. Now I don't have to worry about it. :anibad:

And, now for something else, completely different . . .

Did eveyone see the article in the Christian Science Monitor linked to from the GC.com Home Page? It was written by Mrs. 3cd's? :anibad:

It is really good. She is a great writer. :P

I wonder how many more hits the site got that day as a result of the article?

Did eveyone see the article in the Christian Science Monitor linked to from the GC.com Home Page? It was written by Mrs. 3cd's? :laughing:

As soon as I read, "...an upscale, gated development with a pedestrian easement..." I thought about the places I've been that would match that description. My first guess turned out to be the right one, but it was fun trying to match the landmarks that followed to the candidate locations. By the time that the article gives it away, I had already confirmed my guess. Fun stuff!

Oddly, enough, the guide that I had on the day that I did this hike was also named Karen. Seems like a pretty odd coincidence...(then again, the facts are often stranger than the truth!)

Well, thanks to MissJenn, there's a few less caches I need in MTRP. Looks like the Marines are cracking down.
I missed the story in this. I know the outcome but what happened with MissJenn?

As far as I know, nothing happened to MissJenn. MissJenn is a Groundspeak Lackey who is possession of a letter from the MCAS Miramar Consolidated Public Affairs Office stating that these caches are on government property and are in the impact zone of their rifle range. For safety reasons, they (the Marines) are removing these caches.

It's not really "thanks to MissJenn" that the caches are gone. She's just the messenger.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
Well, thanks to MissJenn, there's a few less caches I need in MTRP. Looks like the Marines are cracking down.

As far as I know, nothing happened to MissJenn. MissJenn is a Groundspeak Lackey who is possession of a letter from the MCAS Miramar Consolidated Public Affairs Office stating that these caches are on government property and are in the impact zone of their rifle range. For safety reasons, they (the Marines) are removing these caches.

It's not really "thanks to MissJenn" that the caches are gone. She's just the messenger.

Sorry, I assume everyone gets archive notices.

I didn't mean anything negative by the "thanks to MissJenn"... it's just she's the one who did the archiving.

Maybe I should have said "thanks to the Marines"... not that I meant anything negative!!!

D!

Sorry, I assume everyone gets archive notices.

I didn't mean anything negative by the "thanks to MissJenn"... it's just she's the one who did the archiving.

Maybe I should have said "thanks to the Marines"... not that I meant anything negative!!!

D!

I didn't take it that way at all. I was just curious. :laughing: How many caches were archived?

By the way, I don't get notifed of hardly anything because I don't like getting bombarded with email. I get enough of it at work. :anibad:

Here's the list of caches archived in MTRP:

GCVKVB Deliverance

GCVN30 Cup of GI Joe

GCVQZB MTRP 2006 Cache War - Harmon's Trail of Tears

GCVG0N Harmon Needs a Blood Transfusion

GCVYQT Take Cover

GCW1B9 MTRP Cache War - Aspirin

GCVF3F I Need Water

GCRDK0 Another Hill, Another Cache

GCR9RJ A Cache Too Far?

Plus three Mystery/Puzzle caches that will be fine once confirmed that final coords are not on the base:

GCQ0BD That Was The Year That Was

GCVY5J She Blinded Me With Geoscience

GCN9N0 Somewhere in San Diego

Edited by FlagMan

Here's the list of caches archived in MTRP:

GCVKVB Deliverance

GCVN30 Cup of GI Joe

GCVQZB MTRP 2006 Cache War - Harmon's Trail of Tears

GCVG0N Harmon Needs a Blood Transfusion

GCVYQT Take Cover

GCW1B9 MTRP Cache War - Aspirin

GCVF3F I Need Water

GCRDK0 Another Hill, Another Cache

GCR9RJ A Cache Too Far?

Plus three Mystery/Puzzle caches that will be fine once confirmed that final coords are not on the base:

GCQ0BD That Was The Year That Was

GCVY5J She Blinded Me With Geoscience

GCN9N0 Somewhere in San Diego

Dang, now I wish that I hadn't archived my own cache "MTRP Cache War - Live Fire." That cache was very near the "Live Fire" signpost from which one could take a few more steps to look straight down onto the firing range to the west. You know, I figured that there was some chance that they would pick-off Cegrube when he popped up.

It was part of my plan back then to connect the MTRP/Miramar cache trail to the Scripps Ranch cache trail so's the Scripps Ranch Geocachers would take the blame when the Marines decided to get serious.

In truth they have been pretty darned patient with us trotting along the many ridgelines of the base. As far as I know only one of us got shot ... with a paintball as I recall. Personally I was chased out only once by a couple of road-maintenance contractors.

Hiking or biking up Spring Canyon one will come upon a four-foot tall, green, and drilled signpost just at the west edge of the trail. That's where, off and on, a keep-out sign was posted; however, I have never actually seen a posted sign. Occasionally the Marines placed a line of good-sized rocks across the trail beside the signpost so they do know where their property line is. Hikers and bikers simply kicked the stones off of the trail each time they appeared, making it easy for the Marines to put them back once again.

Nobody should feel bad about not scoring those caches because they have been in place a very long time. Y' snooze, y' lose I say. If there's a few of you that really want to score those caches maybe you should contact MissJenn and offer to deploy a removal team. How about the SDCET?

To the Marines I say Oorah! With the world situation as it is they deserve our support.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
There were approximately 10 caches archived, including my Take Cover. I rebutted to her yesterday, but have not heard back.

I wouldn't bet on the rebuttal getting much traction, I'm afraid...

Here's an excerpt lfrom my log from "Take Cover!" back in May 2006:

Busted!!

I was working my way down the ridge toward "Take Cover" when I saw the Marine MPs down in the canyon. Unfortunately, they saw me as well. It didn't take long before they putted their way up to where I was. They were very polite but they made sure that I understood that I was on military property. I asked them about where the boundary was and I got enough information to conclude that every cache from "C.E.G. Workout #1" northward is on military property. They also made it clear that, for now, they are just trying to warn people and they will only cite those that keep coming back.

The property information that Toby's Gang posted awhile back indicates that everything north of approx. N32 52.450 is M.C.A.S. Miramar. That's consistent with what the Marines told me a year ago when they stopped me and, interestingly, it's also consistent with the caches that were archived. Nothing south of that line (starting with "Farther Than The Farthest Star") was archived...

If there's a few of you that really want to score those caches maybe you should contact MissJenn and offer to deploy a removal team. How about the SDCET?

Harmon

I heading out there with Ginger! Sat or Sun in the early am to grab my container and hit some caches in the area. I still need about 20 north of 52.

My rebuttal with Miss Jenn was more comment that argumentive. I objected to the military comments about the rifle range. I pointed out they use paint balls, not live ammo as the area is too close to a major freeway, hikers, and resenditial - considering a rifle bullet can travel several miles.

If there's a few of you that really want to score those caches maybe you should contact MissJenn and offer to deploy a removal team. How about the SDCET?

Harmon

I heading out there with Ginger! Sat or Sun in the early am to grab my container and hit some caches in the area. I still need about 20 north of 52.

My rebuttal with Miss Jenn was more comment that argumentive. I objected to the military comments about the rifle range. I pointed out they use paint balls, not live ammo as the area is too close to a major freeway, hikers, and resenditial - considering a rifle bullet can travel several miles.

I think the actual cache containers have all been picked up by the Marines...

The Marines that I met were quite clear in that they consider this to be a live fire area. Their main concern is ricochets from the range (where live ammo is used...) that is over the ridge . Frankly, though, the odds of any problems once past the ridge line are pretty darn low.

(IMHO, there is much more chance of a problem in the area to the east of Boden Canyon where people shoot in darn near any direction and with a lot less regard for firearms safety than the Marines...)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Harmon

I think the actual cache containers have all been picked up by the Marines...

This is the log entry on my cache webpage,

"I have received information from the External Information Officer, MCAS Miramar Consolidated Public Affairs stating that this cache is on government property and is also in the impact zone of the rifle range. I quote:

"This is clearly a safety and security concern to us... For saftey [sic] reasons, we will be removing the caches."

As such, I am archiving this cache. Let me know if you, the cache owner, need help in digitally relocating a travel bug.

Please contact me if you would like to discuss this, and refer to Ticket # PXA-482619."

Maybe the Marines have not gotton around to it yet. Only one way to find out ...

Not a hundred percent sure but they may use sim rounds which are basically 9mm rounds with plastic paint tips. They hurt and cause more damage than standard paintballs, i.e. cause exposed skin to bleed or worse. Plus anytime the military uses weapons or simulated weapons that fire projectiles for safety reason they consider it live fire.

Edited by warmouse4000

Not a hundred percent sure but they may use sim rounds which are basically 9mm rounds with plastic paint tips. They hurt and cause more damage than standard paintballs, i.e. cause exposed skin to bleed or worse. Plus anytime the military uses weapons or simulated weapons that fire projectiles for safety reason they consider it live fire.

I've been hit with sim (simunition) rounds. They have a very short range but they do hurt.

.................... st_060223_simunition2.jpg ............ ...... st_060223_simunition1.jpg

I've been hit with sim (simunition) rounds. They have a very short range but they do hurt.

.................... st_060223_simunition2.jpg ............ ...... st_060223_simunition1.jpg

This is true but it's how the military treats those rounds. They really are only dangerous at very close ranges. At least acccording to the stories I have heard.

Maybe the Marines have not gotton around to it yet. Only one way to find out ...

If the geo community picks up the caches, the containers and swag can be "redeployed" whereas if the Marines do it, they'll probably end up in the landfill. (Hope you get there first! :P )

Well, I think they might have beaten me to it. When Ginger! and I got to BBB's MTRP CCC#2 "Revegetation Project" cache, which is on the hill just south of my cache, we found this log entry dated July 13, 2007. It read, "DO NOT GO NORTH OF HERE", or something to that effect. It was sign, "THE MILITARY POLICE" :P . I figured if they came down here just to write that in, they must have grabbed my cache. So, we didn't bother hiking over there. I'll send an email to Miss Jenn and see if I can get my container back. Good luck, right?

If the geo community picks up the caches, the containers and swag can be "redeployed" whereas if the Marines do it, they'll probably end up in the landfill. (Hope you get there first! :P )

Well, I think they might have beaten me to it. When Ginger! and I got to BBB's MTRP CCC#2 "Revegetation Project" cache, which is on the hill just south of my cache, we found this log entry dated July 13, 2007. It read, "DO NOT GO NORTH OF HERE", or something to that effect. It was sign, "THE MILITARY POLICE" :P . I figured if they came down here just to write that in, they must have grabbed my cache. So, we didn't bother hiking over there. I'll send an email to Miss Jenn and see if I can get my container back. Good luck, right?

Bummer! Interesting that they would go to the trouble of writing that in the log. Probably not much hope on getting the container back but who knows...not much harm in trying and maybe it'll pay off. Best of luck!

HI, My Wife and Son and I are comming to San Diego Next week. Are there any Must Finds that you can all recomend? Happy Caching, Greg

:mad: I'll tell you all the good caches in San Diego AFTER you tell me your favorite NASCAR driver. This is a test! r/ jnj

Mine is Matt the Brat Kenseth! I watched him become the track champ at half mile track in Madison, WI. <_<
HI, My Wife and Son and I are comming to San Diego Next week. Are there any Must Finds that you can all recomend? Happy Caching, Greg

:mad: I'll tell you all the good caches in San Diego AFTER you tell me your favorite NASCAR driver. This is a test! r/ jnj

Mine is Matt the Brat Kenseth! I watched him become the track champ at half mile track in Madison, WI. <_<

Mine is Kevin Harvick. He is from my wifes hometown and I started watching him in the truck series.

;) I'll tell you all the good caches in San Diego AFTER you tell me your favorite NASCAR driver. This is a test! r/ jnj
Mine is Matt the Brat Kenseth! I watched him become the track champ at half mile track in Madison, WI. ;)

Mine is Kevin Harvick. He is from my wifes hometown and I started watching him in the truck series.

My favorite NASTAR racer is LLOT (and my second favorite is Ms. LLOT)...oh, wait, you said NASCAR...never mind... :mad:

;) I'll tell you all the good caches in San Diego AFTER you tell me your favorite NASCAR driver. This is a test! r/ jnj

Mine is Matt the Brat Kenseth! I watched him become the track champ at half mile track in Madison, WI. :mad:

Dale, Jr. Mostly because I was a huge fan of his dad.

Edited by Don Coyote

:) I'll tell you all the good caches in San Diego AFTER you tell me your favorite NASCAR driver. This is a test! r/ jnj

Mine is Matt the Brat Kenseth! I watched him become the track champ at half mile track in Madison, WI. :)

Dale, Jr. Mostly because I was a huge fan of his dad.

:unsure::unsure: Well at least Don Coyote got it right!!!! He'd have no problem with our puzzle "Like Father Like Son". r/ jodi