The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I was just back in Atlanta for a quick business trip, and I barely had time for one quick cache, and the closest one to my home coords was quite an amazing coincidence. Here's my log entry... Thought you all might get a kick out of this...

I just got back from Augusta Georgia and was able to do two caches. Was there for a National Wild Turkey Leadership training.Got home and there on the table was a red jeep travel bug. I flew out thursday. How was your flight from Alanta? did it get delayed. On thursday I landed at 2:00 pm and my flight to Agusta was at 3:15. It got delayed to 6:00 and when we finally got on the plane and started to taxi out ,the pilot said the ac broke and we had to got back and get off the plane. It is only a 36 min. flight. They finally cancelled are flight at 7:30 and we then took a 2 and a half hr bus ride. And they couldn't find are luggage.Got there at midnight. Got luggage on friday morning. Come to find out the pilot of the sister company to Delta went on strike.

To collect and publish Yrium's log entries in book form would be a nice project for somebody.

There was a CD ROM made up that that contained all of Yrium's log entries. There were 10 of them placed in the "Yrium Celebration Letterbox Cache". (Harmon should remember this cache because he found it by stumbling upon it instead of solving the puzzle. I also found it by stumbling on it, but I at least knew it was in the area because I had read Harmon's log and I was wondering if I could spot it on my way to another cache -- which I did...) I took one of them and after reading the logs (As others have already said -- ripping stuff!) I dropped it off in some other cache...

Perhaps Gecko Dad, FlagMan, Dillon Gang or whoever pulled it together still has the master...

Normally, I'm not one to hype a cache, but there is a cache out there that deserves to be on the San Diego Consensus Favorite's List (IMHO...) Unfortunately, it is one bookmark list short of meeting the criteria. So, in an effort to get people to go out to see the result of Redrox's twisted mind, I'm posting a note here.

GC11C8A *R*edrox *I*s *P*sycho

So go see it. Check out the detail and workmanship. If you are still chuckling when you get home, please add it to your favorites list. Thanks!

I believe this was Yrium's first cache his first try at it was a DNF

his logs got better as he progressed in the caching world. I think we all loved reading his logs.

Yrium and Tuna two of the nicest cachers you ever could ever meet

I don't think I ever met Yrium, so my first encounter with him was when he found my first cache. I remember reading his log over again many times and showing it to everyone I could think of.

You can read that log here.

Wow, that guy was a great writer! What a wonderful log.

Normally, I'm not one to hype a cache, but there is a cache out there that deserves to be on the San Diego Consensus Favorite's List (IMHO...) Unfortunately, it is one bookmark list short of meeting the criteria. So, in an effort to get people to go out to see the result of Redrox's twisted mind, I'm posting a note here.

So go see it. Check out the detail and workmanship. If you are still chuckling when you get home, please add it to your favorites list. Thanks!

After reading your rave review LLOT, I decided to run over and check this one out. It was another Redrox classic! Redrox sure makes urban caching very fun! Anyhow, that cache now appears on three favorites lists so it had been officially added to the San Diego Consensus Favorites List! :D

It's so nice to hear all of your memories of Yrium and to read some of his logs again. The only time I ever ventured out to find a cache alone was to seek out one found by Yrium's, because he had put in 5 cards featuring me in it and I knew I could not wait.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

I love the serendipity of geocaching such as FM experienced. It's almost as much as finding a cache to read a log like that or have a TB you've found picked up by a friend you've never met, but who's name you know well, placed in a cache on your watchlist.

BTW I have a little Red Jeep burning a hole in my caching kit too...where shall I put it?

ttfn jane

Edited by Silver Horde

It's so nice to hear all of your memories of Yrium and to read some of his logs again. The only time I ever ventured out to find a cache alone was to seek out one found by Yrium's, because he had put in 5 cards featuring me in it and I knew I could not wait.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

I love the serendipity of geocaching such as FM experienced. It's almost as much as finding a cache to read a log like that or have a TB you've found picked up by a friend you've never met, but who's name you know well, placed in a cache on your watchlist.

BTW I have a little Red Jeep burning a hole in my caching kit too...where shall I put it?

ttfn jane

I'll be darned, that's Yrium's adirondike-chair log entry. That actual log entry was the first instance where I chimed in on his stuff as you can see three or four logs above his, with photos of course. Not long after that the picnic event took place and while there I mentioned to Yrium that I had written a companion piece to his adirondike-chair novella. His blank stare made me to realize that he never revisited his own log entries.

After reading your rave review LLOT, I decided to run over and check this one out. It was another Redrox classic! Redrox sure makes urban caching very fun! Anyhow, that cache now appears on three favorites lists so it had been officially added to the San Diego Consensus Favorites List! :D

The Geobabes and I gave this one a rating of three thumbs up. It is a definite classic in my book.

To collect and publish Yrium's log entries in book form would be a nice project for somebody.

There was a CD ROM made up that that contained all of Yrium's log entries. There were 10 of them placed in the "Yrium Celebration Letterbox Cache". (Harmon should remember this cache because he found it by stumbling upon it instead of solving the puzzle. I also found it by stumbling on it, but I at least knew it was in the area because I had read Harmon's log and I was wondering if I could spot it on my way to another cache -- which I did...) I took one of them and after reading the logs (As others have already said -- ripping stuff!) I dropped it off in some other cache...

Perhaps Gecko Dad, FlagMan, Dillon Gang or whoever pulled it together still has the master...

I believe Gecko Dad or FlagMan has the orginal cd of the logs. i still haven't made it up to the Celebration cache to write our note to Yruim.

The Geobabes and I gave this one a rating of three thumbs up. It is a definite classic in my book.

geo4christ and I found this one the other day, and I have to say it goes on my all-time favorite list. ;) What a very clever and devious hide! :lol: We found another Redrox one the same day which was also a lot of fun - now I want to go find the rest of her caches. I really enjoy caches where the hider put so much thought and effort into the cammo. Sorry - after a few hundred micros in a bush, I'm ready for something more! :unsure:

After reading your rave review LLOT, I decided to run over and check this one out. It was another Redrox classic! Redrox sure makes urban caching very fun! Anyhow, that cache now appears on three favorites lists so it had been officially added to the San Diego Consensus Favorites List! :lol:

I'm still bummed about poor Signal..... :unsure:

WOULD YOU LOG THIS CACHE?

OK, I'd like to get some input/opinions from the SD cachers (and anyone else that reads this). Another cacher and I were discussing this situation. I think you can ethically log it, but after talking with him, I'm not so sure. I'd like to get a feel for how the community feels. Thanks in advance.

Here is the situation:

You stop by the local strip mall to pick up your dry cleaning, and notice some guy looking around the bushes and it appears he has a GPS in his hand. On a whim, you go over and ask if he is a geocacher. He admits that he is and tells you of a new cache there that you know nothing about. You help him find the cache, and are actually the one that spots the container.

Question: Do you add your name to the log and then go online and log it for the smiley?

OK, I'd like to get some input/opinions from the SD cachers (and anyone else that reads this). Another cacher and I were discussing this situation. I think you can ethically log it, but after talking with him, I'm not so sure. I'd like to get a feel for how the community feels. Thanks in advance.

Here is the situation:

You stop by the local strip mall to pick up your dry cleaning, and notice some guy looking around the bushes and it appears he has a GPS in his hand. On a whim, you go over and ask if he is a geocacher. He admits that he is and tells you of a new cache there that you know nothing about. You help him find the cache, and are actually the one that spots the container.

Question: Do you add your name to the log and then go online and log it for the smiley?

Hah, this is an easy one ... it depends on whether you are Rooster or Snake. Snake yes, Rooster no.

I was just back in Atlanta for a quick business trip, and I barely had time for one quick cache, and the closest one to my home coords was quite an amazing coincidence. Here's my log entry... Thought you all might get a kick out of this...

Very cool Flagman. If you have the time, (or someone else)can you give the history on Yrium and the cards. Chuy! has educated me some but would be interested in more info. Thanks again.

Your best bet is to use the "Hide & Seek a Cache" tab to access and read the many, lengthy, and entertaining novella-logs for caches found by Yrium, Gromit, and Whistestick. That way you will get the flavor of what brought Yrium to the fore as a charming Geocacher.

As far as the cards are concerned just read the uDesignit card description. In the beginning Yrium initiated his Yrium's Pals cards for Geocachers of his time that he was aquainted (pals) with. After Yrium passed away Team Gecko and FlagMan took steps to carry on the effort starting with the Yrium Memorial Series.

I had the good fortune of being asked to prepare some, actually twelve of the YMS Photoshop layouts. One thing to know about Yrium-card layouts is that the layouts often have minor features that reveal something notable or perhaps even embarrasing about an honoree. There's even one card that offers a spoiler for a difficult puzzle cache. The hard parts of doing a decent card layout include knowing enough about an honoree, developing a concept for the card, and having access to a collection of decent photos featuring the honoree. Behind the scenes of card production there's a lot of social sleuthing and email traffic going on.

Surprisingly there's a crime associated with the Yrium cards, a full set was stolen from FlagMan at the Mast Park picnic event that was held in Santee. I suppose that shows in a wrong way just how valued the collection really is. The thief is still at large but we know who it is give or take the 150 or so Geocachers that attended the event. I didn't do it by the way.

The odd thing about the Yrium cards is that there isn't an actual Yrium card of any sort amongst the sets. Ain't that weird?

Come to think of it somebody should make sure to chase down the latest designer card so that an actual Yrium card can be developed and released. Odd that we haven't done that as yet. Sounds like an anniversary task for this July because he passed away in July 2004.

The tough part is trying to collect a set of the cards. Of course there's little/no chance of collecting originals so most of us that have a lot of the cards depended on FlagMan issuing reproductions. Many a night I rushed to Max's Favorite Park to grab a new YMS release, even at midnight in one case. Twenty first-release cards seldom lasted beyond noon on the day of release. It was worse than a FTF rush, just go right away and expect to meet the other collectors at the drop point within minutes. After first-release FlagMan would drop the next batch on top of the meanest hill his pudgy old body could handle.

Couple of things to add here. There IS a Yrium card: Yrium's Pals #13

Also, Gesko Dad put all the Yrium logs into a CD and left a bunch in this cache: Yrium Celebration Letterbox Cache

Don't know how many of the CD's are still floating around in that cache, but I still have mine and can certainly make more. Maybe Wednesday would be a good day to release some more of those....

Very cool Flagman. If you have the time, (or someone else)can you give the history on Yrium and the cards. Chuy! has educated me some but would be interested in more info. Thanks again.

Your best bet is to use the "Hide & Seek a Cache" tab to access and read the many, lengthy, and entertaining novella-logs for caches found by Yrium, Gromit, and Whistestick. That way you will get the flavor of what brought Yrium to the fore as a charming Geocacher.

As far as the cards are concerned just read the uDesignit card description. In the beginning Yrium initiated his Yrium's Pals cards for Geocachers of his time that he was aquainted (pals) with. After Yrium passed away Team Gecko and FlagMan took steps to carry on the effort starting with the Yrium Memorial Series.

I had the good fortune of being asked to prepare some, actually twelve of the YMS Photoshop layouts. One thing to know about Yrium-card layouts is that the layouts often have minor features that reveal something notable or perhaps even embarrasing about an honoree. There's even one card that offers a spoiler for a difficult puzzle cache. The hard parts of doing a decent card layout include knowing enough about an honoree, developing a concept for the card, and having access to a collection of decent photos featuring the honoree. Behind the scenes of card production there's a lot of social sleuthing and email traffic going on.

Surprisingly there's a crime associated with the Yrium cards, a full set was stolen from FlagMan at the Mast Park picnic event that was held in Santee. I suppose that shows in a wrong way just how valued the collection really is. The thief is still at large but we know who it is give or take the 150 or so Geocachers that attended the event. I didn't do it by the way.

The odd thing about the Yrium cards is that there isn't an actual Yrium card of any sort amongst the sets. Ain't that weird?

Come to think of it somebody should make sure to chase down the latest designer card so that an actual Yrium card can be developed and released. Odd that we haven't done that as yet. Sounds like an anniversary task for this July because he passed away in July 2004.

The tough part is trying to collect a set of the cards. Of course there's little/no chance of collecting originals so most of us that have a lot of the cards depended on FlagMan issuing reproductions. Many a night I rushed to Max's Favorite Park to grab a new YMS release, even at midnight in one case. Twenty first-release cards seldom lasted beyond noon on the day of release. It was worse than a FTF rush, just go right away and expect to meet the other collectors at the drop point within minutes. After first-release FlagMan would drop the next batch on top of the meanest hill his pudgy old body could handle.

Also, Gesko Dad put all the Yrium logs into a CD and left a bunch in this cache: Yrium Celebration Letterbox Cache

Don't know how many of the CD's are still floating around in that cache, but I still have mine and can certainly make more. Maybe Wednesday would be a good day to release some more of those....

I too have had the pleasure of riding the magic portals back in July of 2006! I set off a door alarm on my egress and whacked a homeless guy in the head with the door because he was sleeping on the stoop.

Edited by habu!

Here is the situation:

You looked for it, you found it, you log it, why shouldn't you??

Here is the situation:

I would. Why not? I figure if some people out there are logging events 800+ times, than you should be able to log an "actual" cache that you found even if you stumbled into it! :unsure:

Also, Gecko Dad put all the Yrium logs into a CD and left a bunch in this cache: Yrium Celebration Letterbox Cache

I too have had the pleasure of riding the magic portals back in July of 2006! I set off a door alarm on my egress and whacked a homeless guy in the head with the door because he was sleeping on the stoop.

Thanks for the reminder about Yrium Pals #13 and Gecko dad's CD. Old age is a terrible thang.

Also I forgot to mention the "misprint" cards. The misprints are really worth having because they portray honorees in a more up-close and personal way. You know, revealing things that only a close friend might know or at least make up. With misprints one became a victim rather than an honoree.

Also, Gecko Dad put all the Yrium logs into a CD and left a bunch in this cache: Yrium Celebration Letterbox Cache

Thanks for the reminder about Yrium Pals #13 and Gecko dad's CD. Old age is a terrible thang.

Also I forgot to mention the "misprint" cards. The misprints are really worth having because they portray honorees in a more up-close and personal way. You know, revealing things that only a close friend might know or at least make up. With misprints one became a victim rather than an honoree.

The Flagman Yrium card has to be my favorite. I busted a gut on that one. Thanks

Here is the situation:

I'm wondering why you would not log the cache. You were there helping to search for it. You found it. Your name is in the log. What other criteria needs to be satisfied? Why would this possibly be unethical? What would you need to do to make it ethical? (Come back the next day and "find" it again?)

While we are on the subject, what about some other hypothetical situations:

Do you log a cache that you looked for but someone else in the party found?

Do you log a puzzle cache that you stumbled upon (i.e. you didn't know it was there) as you walked across a field on your way to another cache?

Do you log a puzzle cache where you brute-forced a solution (e.g. you knew the general area and you went out and found it by comprehensive search)?

Do you log a cache that was handed to you when you walk up to a group of cachers? (This happens a lot when a cache is near an event that is taking place)

I think we all have to decide for ourselves what rules by which we play this game. In my case, I have a least one smiley for each of the above hypothetical cases.

Here's another hypothetical:

Do you log a puzzle cache that you haven't solved but you were part of a group that helped search for it? This is a bit more ambigous in my mind because on one hand, you didn't solve the puzzle but on the other hand, you did contribute to finding the cache. In my case, I don't log it until I solve the puzzle just because I like to solve puzzles but I have no problem with some else choosing to log it. I remember "lostguy" helping us search for "Quick Poking Me". He hadn't solved the puzzle but he lost as much blood as the rest of us due to the pampas grass. As far as I'm concerned, he earned that smiley.

Or how about this one. You stumble upon a cache that you didn't know it was there. You sign the log and when you get home, you find that the cache isn't approved yet. So you wait until it gets approved and then claim FTF. Are you really FTF? Some would say "No" because you signed before it was approved. I would say "yes" because you were, unarguably, the First to Find it. (I actually found a cache in the field before it was approved but alas, in my case, it was too close to a puzzle cache and it was never approved. So I never got to take credit for that one... :unsure: )

Or how about this one. You stumble upon a cache that you didn't know it was there. You sign the log and when you get home, you find that the cache isn't approved yet. So you wait until it gets approved and then claim FTF. Are you really FTF? Some would say "No" because you signed before it was approved. I would say "yes" because you were, unarguably, the First to Find it. (I actually found a cache in the field before it was approved but alas, in my case, it was too close to a puzzle cache and it was never approved. So I never got to take credit for that one... :lol: )
This was a heated debate on the threads. I think claiming an FTF before the cache is officially listed it's like counting homeruns hit in batting practice. To me the FTF game starts when the reviewer hits the approval button. That makes it a fair contest to all the Amusing Race FTF participants. What about when you are with somebody when they hide a cache. Can you claim FTF? You were the first to sign the logbook. Isn't that the same difference? Anyhow, many of us around here sign beta-tester if we find a cache before it's listed. But like you said, do what you want.... :unsure: Edited by TrailGators
Or how about this one. You stumble upon a cache that you didn't know it was there. You sign the log and when you get home, you find that the cache isn't approved yet. So you wait until it gets approved and then claim FTF. Are you really FTF? Some would say "No" because you signed before it was approved. I would say "yes" because you were, unarguably, the First to Find it. (I actually found a cache in the field before it was approved but alas, in my case, it was too close to a puzzle cache and it was never approved. So I never got to take credit for that one... ;) )
This was a heated debate on the threads. I think claiming an FTF before the cache is officially listed it's like counting homeruns hit in batting practice. To me the FTF game starts when the reviewer hits the approval button. That makes it a fair contest to all the Amusing Race FTF participants. What about when you are with somebody when they hide a cache. Can you claim FTF? You were the first to sign the logbook. Isn't that the same difference? Anyhow, many of us around here sign beta-tester if we find a cache before it's listed. But like you said, do what you want.... :unsure:

I'm sure that we could go round and round on this for awhile but in my opinion that there is a huge difference between the two. On the "beta-tester" case, you didn't really find the cache. You already knew it was there. In the other case, though, you really did find it, albeit by stumbling on to it. Semantics? Possibly...but I would not claim an FTF on a cache where I was present when it was placed. In addition, I would not claim an FTF on a cache where someone gave me the coordinates before the cache was published. That's a rule that I play by. There are others who do not play by this rule. Whatever...

OK, I've said my piece. In order not to contribute to this going 'round and round (any more than I already have), I'm done speaking on this topic. You all can have the last word... :lol:

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
Or how about this one. You stumble upon a cache that you didn't know it was there. You sign the log and when you get home, you find that the cache isn't approved yet. So you wait until it gets approved and then claim FTF. Are you really FTF? Some would say "No" because you signed before it was approved. I would say "yes" because you were, unarguably, the First to Find it. (I actually found a cache in the field before it was approved but alas, in my case, it was too close to a puzzle cache and it was never approved. So I never got to take credit for that one... :laughing: )
This was a heated debate on the threads. I think claiming an FTF before the cache is officially listed it's like counting homeruns hit in batting practice. To me the FTF game starts when the reviewer hits the approval button. That makes it a fair contest to all the Amusing Race FTF participants. What about when you are with somebody when they hide a cache. Can you claim FTF? You were the first to sign the logbook. Isn't that the same difference? Anyhow, many of us around here sign beta-tester if we find a cache before it's listed. But like you said, do what you want.... :)

I'm sure that we could go round and round on this for awhile but in my opinion that there is a huge difference between the two. On the "beta-tester" case, you didn't really find the cache. You already knew it was there. In the other case, though, you really did find it, albeit by stumbling on to it. Semantics? Possibly...but I would not claim an FTF on a cache where I was present when it was placed. In addition, I would not claim an FTF on a cache where someone gave me the coordinates before the cache was published. That's a rule that I play by. There are others who do not play by this rule. Whatever...

OK, I've said my piece. In order not to contribute to this going 'round and round (any more than I already have), I'm done speaking on this topic. You all can have the last word... :laughing:

I think the odds of what you describe of happening are so low that there is really nothing to discuss. The other thread described somebody spotting someone else hiding a cache. Most people felt that he was the rightful FTF. The owner in that case actually deleted the guys log, which is taking it way too far, IMHO. It's a game for crying out loud! :laughing:

Here is the situation:

Hah, this is an easy one ... it depends on whether you are Rooster or Snake. Snake yes, Rooster no.

You may us too well, Harmon.

Hsssssssssssss.

But she found it.

Here is the situation:

I'm wondering why you would not log the cache. You were there helping to search for it. You found it. Your name is in the log. What other criteria needs to be satisfied? Why would this possibly be unethical? What would you need to do to make it ethical? (Come back the next day and "find" it again?)

While we are on the subject, what about some other hypothetical situations:

Do you log a cache that you looked for but someone else in the party found? Yes. What else can you do, close your eyes and pretend you didn't see it, and then "find it" yourself?

Do you log a puzzle cache that you stumbled upon (i.e. you didn't know it was there) as you walked across a field on your way to another cache? I personally would sign the log, but not log online until I had solved the puzzle. My own ethics say "no solution, no smilie".

Do you log a puzzle cache where you brute-forced a solution (e.g. you knew the general area and you went out and found it by comprehensive search)? Not sure. For that much work, maybe.

Do you log a cache that was handed to you when you walk up to a group of cachers? (This happens a lot when a cache is near an event that is taking place) Yes, see first answer above.

I think we all have to decide for ourselves what rules by which we play this game. In my case, I have a least one smiley for each of the above hypothetical cases.

Here's another hypothetical:

Do you log a puzzle cache that you haven't solved but you were part of a group that helped search for it? This is a bit more ambigous in my mind because on one hand, you didn't solve the puzzle but on the other hand, you did contribute to finding the cache. In my case, I don't log it until I solve the puzzle just because I like to solve puzzles but I have no problem with some else choosing to log it. I remember "lostguy" helping us search for "Quick Poking Me". He hadn't solved the puzzle but he lost as much blood as the rest of us due to the pampas grass. As far as I'm concerned, he earned that smiley. Personally, no. Not until I solved it.

Or how about this one. You stumble upon a cache that you didn't know it was there. You sign the log and when you get home, you find that the cache isn't approved yet. So you wait until it gets approved and then claim FTF. Are you really FTF? Some would say "No" because you signed before it was approved. I would say "yes" because you were, unarguably, the First to Find it. (I actually found a cache in the field before it was approved but alas, in my case, it was too close to a puzzle cache and it was never approved. So I never got to take credit for that one... :laughing: )I would, unless I had seen the cache hidden. If I just stumbled upon it though, sure.

Of course this is just my $.02 and that and another $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

BTW, you hijacked this thread :) I really am looking for guidance on a case much like the one I described and thanks for everyone's response.

Here is the situation:

Found it? Log it! Why wouldn't you?

Edited by slowmo61

I did this one in April...

I told Duncan! it was going on my BM list...

However comma I have not had the time to log the find yet.....

SO I just BM'ed it...hope I have time to log it some day!

Do you log a puzzle cache that you stumbled upon (i.e. you didn't know it was there) as you walked across a field on your way to another cache?
I personally would sign the log, but not log online until I had solved the puzzle. My own ethics say "no solution, no smilie".

Ah, but what constitutes "a solution". If you derive coordinates in a different way than the cache owner intended, is this or is this not a solution? Anyway, how can you really know what manner of solution the cache owner intended. What if he or she intended for you to stumble upon the cache?

Objection your honor. The witness stated that he would make no further comment on this topic.

Sustained. The jury will ignore the remarks made by the witness. :)

BTW, you hijacked this thread :laughing: I really am looking for guidance on a case much like the one I described and thanks for everyone's response.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I was actually looking forward to hear the arguments in favor of not logging the cache and I managed to steer the thread off in a different direction. Please return to the original topic. Thanks! :laughing:

I personally would sign the log, but not log online until I had solved the puzzle. My own ethics say "no solution, no smilie".

Ah, but what constitutes "a solution". If you derive coordinates in a different way than the cache owner intended, is this or is this not a solution? Anyway, how can you really know what manner of solution the cache owner intended. What if he or she intended for you to stumble upon the cache?

There is a huge gray area here. Let he who has solved every puzzle without any hints/help cast the first stone! :)

There is a huge gray area here. Let he who has solved every puzzle without any hints/help cast the first stone! :)

There's a difference in getting some help from your friends, and putting in time, effort and some brainwork to come up with coordinates; and logging a find while out caching in a group where only one person actually solved the puzzle. I personally won't do it, but I don't have an issue with someone who thinks that is ok. I've had people find my puzzle caches this way, and I've never deleted their finds--nor would I. I simply don't feel it is right . . . for me.

That said, I will speak no more on this.

Edited by Snake & Rooster

There's a difference in getting some help from your friends, and putting in time, effort and some brainwork to come up with coordinates; and logging a find while out caching in a group where only one person actually solved the puzzle. I personally won't do it, but I don't have an issue with someone who thinks that is ok. I've had people find my puzzle caches this way, and I've never deleted their finds--nor would I. I simply don't feel it is right . . . for me.

I honestly solve or really "try" to solve every puzzle I log. I will even go back and solve a puzzle, if I find it with a group before I've actually solved it. It seems silly to not log it, then solve it and then go back and find it again. I don't care if people that can't solve puzzles turn them into traditionals. Maybe they should let you log them as traditionals if you do them that way.... Edited by TrailGators

I honestly solve or really "try" to solve every puzzle I log. I will even go back and solve a puzzle, if I find it with a group before I've actually solved it. It seems silly to not log it, then solve it and then go back and find it again. I don't care if people that can't solve puzzles turn them into traditionals. Maybe they should let you log them as traditionals if you do them that way....

If you don't mind people taking credit for a find on a puzzle cache without solving it then post the real coords in the hint and I'll be happy to look at them and take credit for a find. So far I have logged two puzzle caches that I haven't solved as finds althought I prefer not to do so. That and Beta testing which is something I won't do but don't mind other folks doing it even on my caches if they are with me when I hide a cache. Just personal preference. We all have our own rules that guide us through life. Isn't diveristy great.

Edited by "lostguy"

I honestly solve or really "try" to solve every puzzle I log. I will even go back and solve a puzzle, if I find it with a group before I've actually solved it. It seems silly to not log it, then solve it and then go back and find it again. I don't care if people that can't solve puzzles turn them into traditionals. Maybe they should let you log them as traditionals if you do them that way....

If you don't mind people taking credit for a find on a puzzle cache without solving it then post the real coords in the hint and I'll be happy to look at them and take credit for a find.
I don't "mind" if people do it, but I'm not going to help them do it. However, I will help people when they get stuck and ask me for help on my puzzles. I agree with S&R and I would prefer that people "try" to solve my puzzles. Finally, I said I wish there was a way for people to log puzzles they didn't solve as a traditional and not as a puzzle. :laughing: Edited by TrailGators

If you don't mind people taking credit for a find on a puzzle cache without solving it then post the real coords in the hint and I'll be happy to look at them and take credit for a find.
I don't "mind" if people do it, but I'm not going to help them do it. However, I will help people when they get stuck and ask me for help on my puzzles. I agree with S&R and I would prefer that people "try" to solve my puzzles. Finally, I said I wish there was a way for people to log puzzles they didn't solve as a traditional and not as a puzzle. :laughing:

Perhaps GC needs a new category, Puzzle/Traditional. You can solve the puzzle if you like or you can just go find the cache if you wish. Of course this would be totally up to the cache owner to place the cache in this category if they so desire for those of us who have mental limitations when it comes to puzzle solving. Some of you puzzle guys are frigging brilliant of some of the rest of us are lame. I happen to fall in the lame group.

Perhaps GC needs a new category, Puzzle/Traditional. You can solve the puzzle if you like or you can just go find the cache if you wish. Of course this would be totally up to the cache owner to place the cache in this category if they so desire for those of us who have mental limitations when it comes to puzzle solving. Some of you puzzle guys are frigging brilliant of some of the rest of us are lame. I happen to fall in the lame group.

One idea would be to let us post one traditional and one puzzle cache that share the same container and log. But you would only be allowed to log one of them online. You would have to ignore the other one to get it off your radar. The puzzle would require the solver to email the owner with an explanation of how he solved it. There would be no reason to cheat because you could always just log the traditional. We could name this new type a "traduzzle."

One idea would be to let us post one traditional and one puzzle cache that share the same container and log. But you would only be allowed to log one of them online. You would have to ignore the other one to get it off your radar. The puzzle would require the solver to email the owner with an explanation of how he solved it. There would be no reason to cheat because you could always just log the traditional. We could name this new type a "traduzzle."

Three Cheers for "Traduzzle." I hope that wasn't a trademarked word for which I will now have to pay royalties. How about Puzzditional.

Three Cheers for "Traduzzle." I hope that wasn't a trademarked word for which I will now have to pay royalties. How about Puzzditional.
:) How about "Tradistery?" :laughing:

320678ad-944b-4ce0-9dad-0c72fc8927f7.jpg

:):laughing::laughing:

~Jess

320678ad-944b-4ce0-9dad-0c72fc8927f7.jpg

:D:D:o

~Jess

;)