The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

How does everyone feel about logs containing just "TNLNSL" or "TFTC" and that's it?

They drive me crazy. I think it's a little bit rude, maybe that's just me.

We're still pretty wet behind the ears but we do put a fair amount of effort into our e-logs. (Not so much on the hard copies, though - usually just our name and the date/time.)

I try to limit cutting and pasting the same post to mutliple caches - but when I do, I still try to modify each one at least a little. After all, that's what I'm hoping others will do when we loose our caches on the world! :D

Reading the logs is one of my favorite parts of caching - I love learning about people and places, and creative logs are so much fun! Make me laugh, make me cry, but don't make me roll my eyes at yet another "TNLNSL" post! :D

Laurie

How does everyone feel about logs containing just "TNLNSL" or "TFTC" and that's it?

First, I tend to treat my logs like the caches I find. If it is an LPC, or something else that is totally uninspired, then my log will be uninspired also. However, if you put effort into the cache, I will put effort into my log as well.

On a second note, I have to admit that I found your post really funny. :D

When he is in town...you cache with the cut and paste king! :D

TFTP!

Snag! :D

Hey Lynn, your logs are short and sweet...but they aren't cut and paste! :D

First, I tend to treat my logs like the caches I find. If it is an LPC, or something else that is totally uninspired, then my log will be uninspired also. However, if you put effort into the cache, I will put effort into my log as well.

I'm not sure who brought up the cut and paste thing. I'd rather get 100 cut and paste logs than one TNLNSL log. At least in the C&P logs they had something nice to say.

For every cache I find I will have at least one unique sentence (no matter how uninspiring the cache is). The hider went to enough trouble to shove an altoids tin under a lamp post, I think they deserve that much.

'Nuff said!

D!

I'm not sure who brought up the cut and paste thing. I'd rather get 100 cut and paste logs than one TNLNSL log. At least in the C&P logs they had something nice to say.

For every cache I find I will have at least one unique sentence (no matter how uninspiring the cache is). The hider went to enough trouble to shove an altoids tin under a lamp post, I think they deserve that much.

'Nuff said!

D!

Well, I am definitely guilty of cutting and pasting, at least for the initial part of my log. I usually say who was with me, which not only helps me keep track of things, but also helps some of my caching friends who log late (cough....zeber!) to remember when they found the cache. :D

I try to add a unique comment to each log on top of that. Sometimes it's quite short. Sometimes it's a paragraph if the cache was memorable in some way. Sometimes it's not related to the actual cache - just a story about what happened on the way to or from it. I often end with TFTC! or Thanks! but that's just because I mean it. :D

What really annoys me is when you're out on the trail and can't find a cache, so you look at the last five logs and they pretty much all say nothing :D .

TLC

On a second note, I have to admit that I found your post really funny. :o

When he is in town...you cache with the cut and paste king! <_<

'Nuff said!

D!

Hey Now!

There is a difference between both of your posts though.

When you and Dave come through town and break... I mean find a bunch of my caches, I always take the time to read your logs...since like you pointed out, you always take the time to say something unique. If you take the time to write it, I take the time to read it.

However, when I get 2 identical posts from Dave, I just tag and delete the rest since I know what they all say already. Basically, it's not that much different than an uninspired TNLNSL.

Now, I have only had a few days where I cached enough to have 30 or 40 logs to type...and unless the cache was unique, I am hard pressed to remember anything about it...and that bothers me. On a long day, I try to take notes so I can make a nice comment on each find.

Mail just came!

I got a red jeep in the mail. I'll get it placed soon, so add it to your watchlists!

RJTB

Just got home and found one of those little 4x4's in my mail also. Now to find a worthy lamp post.

I just got mine today too! My Red Jeep Travel Bug is named after the North Branch Moose River in New York. :o Edited by TrailGators

On a second note, I have to admit that I found your post really funny. :o

When he is in town...you cache with the cut and paste king! <_<

'Nuff said!

D!

Hey Now!

There is a difference between both of your posts though.

When you and Dave come through town and break... I mean find a bunch of my caches, I always take the time to read your logs...since like you pointed out, you always take the time to say something unique. If you take the time to write it, I take the time to read it.

However, when I get 2 identical posts from Dave, I just tag and delete the rest since I know what they all say already. Basically, it's not that much different than an uninspired TNLNSL.

Now, I have only had a few days where I cached enough to have 30 or 40 logs to type...and unless the cache was unique, I am hard pressed to remember anything about it...and that bothers me. On a long day, I try to take notes so I can make a nice comment on each find.

I see your point. It's just that C&Ps don't drive me crazy as TNLNSLs or TFTCs do. Call me silly.

Okay, to set the record straight... The thing was already pulled out of the ground when we got there. I do admit to tipping it to get the cache out...not 'cause I was impatient, but only because I didn't understand it was that type of cache... and I paid for it by getting some sticky, soda-type liquid all over me. So, I will admit to being stupid, but not intentionally destructive or inconsiderate.

Howzabout that local sports team?

D!

----------------------------CUT------------------------------------------

Sorry for the slow post...life keeps me from caching and form the forums....

Got a call from a friend tonight....asking if I was following this....

One of one read by myself...

Thanks for the post and the fun!

-----------------------------PASTE---------------------------------------

----------------------------CUT------------------------------------------

Sorry for the slow post...life keeps me from caching and form the forums....

Got a call from a friend tonight....asking if I was following this....

One of one read by myself...

Thanks for the post and the fun!

-----------------------------PASTE---------------------------------------

Hey Dave, good to see you here again.

Truly sorry to hear about your mom...I hope she gets better soon.

You've had a rough year my friend.

D

Okay, to set the record straight... The thing was already pulled out of the ground when we got there. I do admit to tipping it to get the cache out...not 'cause I was impatient, but only because I didn't understand it was that type of cache... and I paid for it by getting some sticky, soda-type liquid all over me.

D!

<snip>

Hey D!, that wasn't soda. Read my log for that cache to see what you really got into :o

Edited by Snake & Rooster

I know if I was Ed56 I would be insane by now :huh::rolleyes::unsure:

One Word Logs?

Just updating my itsnotaboutthenumbers numbers, redundant isn't it?, and came across some interesting info :angry: !

I know if I was Ed56 I would be insane by now :huh::rolleyes::unsure:

One Word Logs?

Just updating my itsnotaboutthenumbers numbers, redundant isn't it?, and came across some interesting info :angry: !

I recall that cache vividly, imo it deserves a TNLN log, but I was too chicken to do it.

I know if I was Ed56 I would be insane by now :unsure::huh::angry:

One Word Logs?

Just updating my itsnotaboutthenumbers numbers, redundant isn't it?, and came across some interesting info :huh: !

Yeah, one out of 5877 logs. Lock me up and throw away the key! :rolleyes:

Yes, I was being rude. So there. :huh:

D!

I know if I was Ed56 I would be insane by now :unsure::angry::huh:

One Word Logs?

Just updating my itsnotaboutthenumbers numbers, redundant isn't it?, and came across some interesting info :( !

Yes, I was being rude. So there. ;)

D!

Be careful throwing stones if you live in a glass house...

:huh:

I know if I was Ed56 I would be insane by now :(:unsure:;)

One Word Logs?

Just updating my itsnotaboutthenumbers numbers, redundant isn't it?, and came across some interesting info ;) !

Yes, I was being rude. So there. :huh:

D!

Be careful throwing stones if you live in a glass house...

:angry:

Ummmm 2 actually, but who's counting, ehhhh? :huh:

All Done :D

I'm going to Hawaii on my honeymoon and I'd like to take an official jeep TB with me. The poor folks in Hawaii aren't allowed to participate in the contest so they aren't given any of them.

Any help is appreciated. And if anyone knows of any can't miss caches- please let me know.

Dave

I'm going to Hawaii on my honeymoon and I'd like to take an official jeep TB with me. The poor folks in Hawaii aren't allowed to participate in the contest so they aren't given any of them.

Any help is appreciated. And if anyone knows of any can't miss caches- please let me know.

Dave

I have one Dave. Hawaii would give it a great start on miles! :rolleyes:

Congrats on the wedding and honeymoon! :laughing:

Edited by TrailGators

I don't have one of the new ones (and haven't even seen one yet) but I could pass along a GJTB.

In any case, congratulations on your impending state of "honeymooner"! :laughing::rolleyes:

I don't have one of the new ones (and haven't even seen one yet) but I could pass along a GJTB.

In any case, congratulations on your impending state of "honeymooner"! :laughing::(

Which island or islands? ... no, wait, you said "honeymoon" so it doesn't really matter does it?

Edited by SD Rowdies

In any case, congratulations on your impending state of "honeymooner"! :laughing::(

Which island or islands? ... no, wait, you said "honeymoon" so it doesn't really matter does it?

Almost all of them- It's an island hopping cruise.

Here's one...

d21df253-4823-40a0-9318-244e634f3486.jpg

Almost all of them- It's an island hopping cruise.

C'mon. Dave, post a picture of the blushing bride! Congrats on the impending nuptuals! :D

Unbeknownst to me when I wrote this, I did have an RJTB. It was sitting in my mailbox...

8191ef0b-ade5-4c5b-9426-aaa5fbb355db.jpg

Red and Green...It must be Christmas in June...

657833798_4b30910405_m.jpg

Here's the two of us opening our first wedding gift. And, no, the gift wasn't a stray cat.

Dave

:D:( CONGRATULATIONS DAVE !! :laughing::(

Now, you'll have a partner to go caching with!!...........right?

You can bring her with you to the campout ( Oct. 27 & 28 at Skillets place) and let her meet everyone! :)

Enjoy Hawaii!

The Splashes :):D

Here's the two of us opening our first wedding gift. And, no, the gift wasn't a stray cat.

Dave

Cell-phone shot? Best I can do with that tiny litle image.

ef39e811-61ce-4adc-9926-e651a038537a.jpg

Many blessings on your marriage and have a great time on your cruise.

By the way Dave, what caused you to marry a cat-person? What have you been smoking? Remember, you heard it from me first, if there's any trouble in your marriage she will turn you out instead of the cat. Think about it ... it ain't you that she's hugging in the photo, right?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Dave

Cell-phone shot? Best I can do with that tiny litle image.

ef39e811-61ce-4adc-9926-e651a038537a.jpg

Many blessings on your marriage and have a great time on your cruise.

By the way Dave, what caused you to marry a cat-person? What have you been smoking? Remember, you heard it from me first, if there's any trouble in your marriage she will turn you out instead of the cat. Think about it ... it ain't you that she's hugging in the photo, right?

So true- the cats are 'indoor' only, while I'm sure I'll be forced to 'camp out.' To be fair, I really like her cats. Since we're a bit too old for kids we both pick on our parents and refer to the the kittens as their grandcats.

Thanks for the kind words.

Dave

Dave

:sad::sad: CONGRATULATIONS DAVE !! ;):D

Now, you'll have a partner to go caching with!!...........right?

You can bring her with you to the campout ( Oct. 27 & 28 at Skillets place) and let her meet everyone! :sad:

Enjoy Hawaii!

The Splashes :sad::D

Yes Congrats! B)

...also, did someone say campout? ;)

I got a Red Jeep and Chuy! didn't - ha ha ha.

WOOF!

I got one and David and Sumrall didn't!

WOOF!

I guess it just goes to show that JEEP does know who the target audience is, since I got one also, but CTYankee9 hasn't received one!

Mine is: "West Fork Deep River (NC)"

It should be going out tomorrow in the Horse Thief Area; maybe.

I was just back in Atlanta for a quick business trip, and I barely had time for one quick cache, and the closest one to my home coords was quite an amazing coincidence. Here's my log entry... Thought you all might get a kick out of this...

Very cool Flagman. If you have the time, (or someone else)can you give the history on Yrium and the cards. Chuy! has educated me some but would be interested in more info. Thanks again.

I was just back in Atlanta for a quick business trip, and I barely had time for one quick cache, and the closest one to my home coords was quite an amazing coincidence. Here's my log entry... Thought you all might get a kick out of this...

Very cool Flagman. If you have the time, (or someone else)can you give the history on Yrium and the cards. Chuy! has educated me some but would be interested in more info. Thanks again.

Your best bet is to use the "Hide & Seek a Cache" tab to access and read the many, lengthy, and entertaining novella-logs for caches found by Yrium, Gromit, and Whistestick. That way you will get the flavor of what brought Yrium to the fore as a charming Geocacher.

As far as the cards are concerned just read the uDesignit card description. In the beginning Yrium initiated his Yrium's Pals cards for Geocachers of his time that he was aquainted (pals) with. After Yrium passed away Team Gecko and FlagMan took steps to carry on the effort starting with the Yrium Memorial Series.

I had the good fortune of being asked to prepare some, actually twelve of the YMS Photoshop layouts. One thing to know about Yrium-card layouts is that the layouts often have minor features that reveal something notable or perhaps even embarrasing about an honoree. There's even one card that offers a spoiler for a difficult puzzle cache. The hard parts of doing a decent card layout include knowing enough about an honoree, developing a concept for the card, and having access to a collection of decent photos featuring the honoree. Behind the scenes of card production there's a lot of social sleuthing and email traffic going on.

Surprisingly there's a crime associated with the Yrium cards, a full set was stolen from FlagMan at the Mast Park picnic event that was held in Santee. I suppose that shows in a wrong way just how valued the collection really is. The thief is still at large but we know who it is give or take the 150 or so Geocachers that attended the event. I didn't do it by the way.

The odd thing about the Yrium cards is that there isn't an actual Yrium card of any sort amongst the sets. Ain't that weird?

Come to think of it somebody should make sure to chase down the latest designer card so that an actual Yrium card can be developed and released. Odd that we haven't done that as yet. Sounds like an anniversary task for this July because he passed away in July 2004.

The tough part is trying to collect a set of the cards. Of course there's little/no chance of collecting originals so most of us that have a lot of the cards depended on FlagMan issuing reproductions. Many a night I rushed to Max's Favorite Park to grab a new YMS release, even at midnight in one case. Twenty first-release cards seldom lasted beyond noon on the day of release. It was worse than a FTF rush, just go right away and expect to meet the other collectors at the drop point within minutes. After first-release FlagMan would drop the next batch on top of the meanest hill his pudgy old body could handle.

Edited by SD Rowdies
I believe this was Yrium's first cache his first try at it was a DNF

his logs got better as he progressed in the caching world. I think we all loved reading his logs.

Yrium and Tuna two of the nicest cachers you ever could ever meet

I don't think I ever met Yrium, so my first encounter with him was when he found my first cache. I remember reading his log over again many times and showing it to everyone I could think of.

You can read that log here.

I believe this was Yrium's first cache his first try at it was a DNF

his logs got better as he progressed in the caching world. I think we all loved reading his logs.

Yrium and Tuna two of the nicest cachers you ever could ever meet

I don't think I ever met Yrium, so my first encounter with him was when he found my first cache. I remember reading his log over again many times and showing it to everyone I could think of.

You can read that log here.

Cool story Jerry! My first find was Yrium's Breeder cache. What is also interesting is that look who I missed meeting by one day:

da361078-ba03-47d1-b821-fd75da6f74de.jpg

RM and I would later meet ~15 months later (by sheer luck) when we both attempted Dan-oh's Camoflauge Experiment. :D

* I wish the find logs reflected how many we had found at that momemt in time. It would be cool to see (1 found) next to my name on that first find.

Edited by TrailGators