The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Calling LLOT . . . Are you okay? Are you out of the path of the fire?

Sure hope anyone else who lives near Rancho Penasquitos is okay.

I'm now also a member of the 92129. My fiance and I bought a house out next to the Doubletree. I'm through with moving now- it's my last house before the inevitable dirt nap.

This just in -- Fire was in Penasquitos across Black Mountain Road from us. We are OK -- no danger. It looks like things got pretty hot over on Capcano (one block from where we lived when we first moved to SD...) Also there were some apartments at the bottom of the canyon that got pretty close -- until a CDF slurry bomber lined up the perfect run...

Things are in mop-up mode now, but there still lots of helos making water drops...I don't think any caches were in the fire zone. There used to be one on the hill but it was removed at the request of the rangers (it was in a revegetation zone...)

Here's what it looked like from our perspective:

df9cdcd5-697d-4c19-9362-9a99b2bb541e.jpg

7d324afe-8603-4990-a674-c160470a20c6.jpg

8c332523-1b42-43aa-8805-2c932611d4c7.jpg

1f07663d-e7cf-4031-8e04-ae7da4676300.jpg

Things are in mop-up mode now, but there still lots of helos making water drops...I don't think any caches were in the fire zone. There used to be one on the hill but it was removed at the request of the rangers (it was in a revegetation zone...)

Glad to hear that you and everyone else in the area is OK! :angry:

Glad to hear that you and everyone else in the area is OK! B)

Those are some GREAT pictures LLOT!! WOW! Way better than anything the news came up with! B)

We were happy to hear all is well, you have had your share of fires there~

The Splashes B):angry:

Glad to hear that you and everyone else in the area is OK! :blink:

Those are some GREAT pictures LLOT!! WOW! Way better than anything the news came up with! :blink:

We were happy to hear all is well, you have had your share of fires there~

The Splashes :blink::)

:) Yes, we too are happy to hear Mr. and Mrs. LLOT are ok and hope all the people in the area are too. This is the second time recently you have been too close to a fire James... :laughing:

This is the second time recently you have been too close to a fire James... :blink:

It's a bad habit that I'm trying to break... :laughing:

The final score was 12 acres of brush, 0 deaths, 0 injuries, 0 structures damage. Looking at it in the cold morning light, one can see the value in clearing the brush below your house if you live on a canyon. I couldn't see it yesterday due to the smoke, but there was a nice buffer between the fire and the houses.

Saw this on another site, Whats your GDP the US States compared to other countrys GDP.

Heh...I always KNEW living in NJ was like living in Russia. Cold, miserable, fraught with unsmiling faces and laden with mobsters. Thanks for confirming it!

I like living in Thailand now.

--ThailandThompsen--

I guess living in California makes us all coneheads...

coneheads-2.jpg

Achtung all you space buffs out there. There's a distinct possibility for San Diego to see the space shuttle on its landing approach today. If the weather in Florida remains crappy for the next few hours, and the winds in the high desert in California remain OK, then NASA is going to land Atlantis at Edwards AFB.

The Edwards landing opportunity is at 12:49 Pm PDT, with the deorbit-burn occurring at 11:43 AM PDT. This should mean that the shuttle will pass right over the coast of California at about Encinitas about 12:30ish or so. Here's the landing ground track for orbit #219:

180637main_EDW219_mid.gif

I've always wanted to see a launch or landing, but never have. You may not see very much other than a fast moving plane-looking thing but the double sonic boom you'll hear from the shuttle is still pretty neat.

Just some fun for this lunchtime if you care. You can monitor NASA landing updates here:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/...nding-blog.html

UPDATE: 11:08 AM -- Mission controllers have waived off landing in Florida for today, and given the go for landing at Edwards in the next 90 minutes. Keep those ears open for the double boom, San Diego!

--TT--

Edited by TucsonThompsen

Saw this on another site, Whats your GDP the US States compared to other countrys GDP.

Heh...I always KNEW living in NJ was like living in Russia. Cold, miserable, fraught with unsmiling faces and laden with mobsters. Thanks for confirming it!

I like living in Thailand now.

--ThailandThompsen--

Thailand. Cool! Beats the heck out of living in a country that has never won a war by itself and continually bad-mouths the neighbor across the sea that always bails it out. :ph34r:

The Edwards landing opportunity is at 12:49 Pm PDT, with the deorbit-burn occurring at 11:43 AM PDT. This should mean that the shuttle will pass right over the coast of California at about Encinitas about 12:30ish or so.

Wow, that's great! Since I'm in Encinitas, I will look for it! How did you come up with 12:30?

The Edwards landing opportunity is at 12:49 Pm PDT, with the deorbit-burn occurring at 11:43 AM PDT. This should mean that the shuttle will pass right over the coast of California at about Encinitas about 12:30ish or so.

Wow, that's great! Since I'm in Encinitas, I will look for it! How did you come up with 12:30?

Well...it's a guesstimate. Landing is at 12:49 and so I figure that by being outdoors about 20 minutes prior to touchdown you guarantee yourself the opportunity of seeing/hearing it. It probably will be a little after 12:30 when it goes overhead, but get out a little early just to be sure. The shuttle won't go sub-sonic until about 5 minutes before touchdown somewhere over Palmdale.

RocketMan would probably be able to give you an exact time and location when it crosses the coast. I'm just going on the fact that it'll be going maybe Mach 2 and be about 10-15 minutes from touchdown when it hits the coast.

It is currently 45 minutes from landing, and about 12 minutes before it enters the atmosphere (~ 80 miles in altitude)

--TT--

Edited by TucsonThompsen

Well...it's a guesstimate. Landing is at 12:49 and so I figure that by being outdoors about 20 minutes prior to touchdown you guarantee yourself the opportunity of seeing/hearing it. It probably will be a little after 12:30 when it goes overhead, but get out a little early just to be sure. The shuttle won't go sub-sonic until about 5 minutes before touchdown somewhere over Palmdale.

RocketMan would probably be able to give you an exact time and location when it crosses the coast. I'm just going on the fact that it'll be going maybe Mach 2 and be about 10-15 minutes from touchdown when it hits the coast.

It is currently 45 minutes from landing, and about 12 minutes before it enters the atmosphere (~ 80 miles in altitude)

--TT--

Here's a live map: http://www.n2yo.com/

--TT--

Couldn't spot it with my nekkid eyes, but heard the sonic booms!

--TT--

Couldn't spot it with my nekkid eyes, but heard the sonic booms!

We heard the booms in Poway also! It was nice to know what they were!

Achtung all you space buffs out there. There's a distinct possibility for San Diego to see the space shuttle on its landing approach today. If the weather in Florida remains crappy for the next few hours, and the winds in the high desert in California remain OK, then NASA is going to land Atlantis at Edwards AFB.

The Edwards landing opportunity is at 12:49 Pm PDT, with the deorbit-burn occurring at 11:43 AM PDT. This should mean that the shuttle will pass right over the coast of California at about Encinitas about 12:30ish or so. Here's the landing ground track for orbit #219:

180637main_EDW219_mid.gif

I've always wanted to see a launch or landing, but never have. You may not see very much other than a fast moving plane-looking thing but the double sonic boom you'll hear from the shuttle is still pretty neat.

Just some fun for this lunchtime if you care. You can monitor NASA landing updates here:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/...nding-blog.html

UPDATE: 11:08 AM -- Mission controllers have waived off landing in Florida for today, and given the go for landing at Edwards in the next 90 minutes. Keep those ears open for the double boom, San Diego!

--TT-- [/quote

I work for the city of Encinitas and heard the double sonic boom.We were wondering what that was. Cool,Thanks TT.

Hey, we just saw Jahoadi on the news!

Good job Jahoadi. A star is born!

I missed it. What was she on for?

KUSI was doing a story about fire danger and clearing brush around your home.
The final score was 12 acres of brush, 0 deaths, 0 injuries, 0 structures damage. Looking at it in the cold morning light, one can see the value in clearing the brush below your house if you live on a canyon. I couldn't see it yesterday due to the smoke, but there was a nice buffer between the fire and the houses.

There's nothing quite like a live demonstration... :laughing:

(Even so, I'm sorry I missed it...)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

:laughing: Yeah..I was on the phone with KWVER..trying him him him a lifeline and the KUSI van pulls up into the driveway. Of course I had just gotten out of the shower from my FTF fiasco and I really looked "good"..wet hair no makeup..oh well. They cut out the part about me complaining about the NWR not maintaining the road and John being gone so I have to do it all myself :laughing: And of course they had to get the poor '56 Chevy sitting outside..and John's pile of wood that he will never use, "but it's good to have because someone gave it to me free". :laughing: Yup...let's just hope they never have to come again..if ya know what i mean...

:laughing: Yeah..I was on the phone with KWVER..trying him him him a lifeline and the KUSI van pulls up into the driveway. Of course I had just gotten out of the shower from my FTF fiasco and I really looked "good"..wet hair no makeup..oh well. They cut out the part about me complaining about the NWR not maintaining the road and John being gone so I have to do it all myself :laughing: And of course they had to get the poor '56 Chevy sitting outside..and John's pile of wood that he will never use, "but it's good to have because someone gave it to me free". :laughing: Yup...let's just hope they never have to come again..if ya know what i mean...
It's nice to know that Murphy is alive and well... :laughing:
<snip>.and John's pile of wood that he will never use, "but it's good to have because someone gave it to me free". :laughing:

I'm sure John will tell you that the old saying, "waste not, want not" applies to this wood pile. Someday, you will need some lumber and this will save you a trip to Home Depot and a lot of money. I think John is showing great maturity, foresight and thrift by saving this wood. Wow! You women just don't get us :laughing:

How does everyone feel about logs containing just "TNLNSL" or "TFTC" and that's it?

They drive me crazy. I think it's a little bit rude, maybe that's just me. So, I've started putting this on some of my listings:

This just in: I now require one full sentence when you log the cache. Cache logs not containing a coherent sentence will be deleted. Thank you. (posted on 6/20/2007).

So it happened that I deleted my first two TNLNSL logs by the same cacher. After deleting the logs I sent them a nice note as to why. They reposted their find with the same "TNLNSL".

Is this really an unreasonable requirement?

I haven't yet deleted the reposted logs, I don't want to turn it into a pissing match.

A friend at work suggested I change it to a request instead of a requirement.

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

How does everyone feel about logs containing just "TNLNSL" or "TFTC" and that's it?

They drive me crazy. I think it's a little bit rude, maybe that's just me. So, I've started putting this on some of my listings:

This just in: I now require one full sentence when you log the cache. Cache logs not containing a coherent sentence will be deleted. Thank you. (posted on 6/20/2007).

So it happened that I deleted my first two TNLNSL logs by the same cacher. After deleting the logs I sent them a nice note as to why. They reposted their find with the same "TNLNSL".

I haven't yet deleted the reposted logs, I don't want to turn it into a pissing match.

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

I've put a simple "Found it, thanks" on a couple of really uninspired caches. I remember putting a simple "Wow!" once on an LPC (the hider had put out about 20 of them). I call this irony and Rooster says it is sarcasm ;)

I like to leave a decent log and if I found the cache particularly interesting, or something interesting happened on the way to the cache, I like to include the story in my log. While I tend to agree with you that just putting TFTC is a bit rude, I've discovered that quite a few people who cache are literate enough to use a GPSr and billion dollar sats, but not literate enough to write more than a few words without calling attention to this fact. Why embarrass them by making them write complete sentences? I tend to agree with your friend at work--put it in as a request, but don't hold anyone to it. It's simply not important enough to make an enemy over--is it?

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

I've put a simple "Found it, thanks" on a couple of really uninspired caches. I remember putting a simple "Wow!" once on an LPC (the hider had put out about 20 of them). I call this irony and Rooster says it is sarcasm ;)

I like to leave a decent log and if I found the cache particularly interesting, or something interesting happened on the way to the cache, I like to include the story in my log. While I tend to agree with you that just putting TFTC is a bit rude, I've discovered that quite a few people who cache are literate enough to use a GPSr and billion dollar sats, but not literate enough to write more than a few words without calling attention to this fact. Why embarrass them by making them write complete sentences? I tend to agree with your friend at work--put it in as a request, but don't hold anyone to it. It's simply not important enough to make an enemy over--is it?

HERE,HERE I TO DON'T LIKE TNLNSL!!!

After all this is not a tex message !

I won't to know "What's UP"-How did you like my cache?

I put a lot in to makeing my cache's!

So I won't to know.....

When I first startedI put in the log's TNLNSL but now

I got a Franklin and I feel better about righting more.

At least I right nice job! or Great job !!!!

:D THANKS FATTBOY :D

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

Just wanted to say I agree with you. I wouldn't go so far as to delete a log for one of my caches, but when I get the very same "Cut and Paste" logs for each of my caches that take a cacher to a nice viewpoint, or involve a hike of more than a mile, I wonder why I went to the trouble of placing the cache. ;) Although I should not look for a "Reward," I do appreciate something more than TNLNSL or "cut and paste" logs when there was effort, and maybe some adventure, involved in getting to the cache. :D

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

:P I do think that most people write longer longs on the better caches.

There is a cache on my watchlist in Poway called Just Kidding! that you are supposed to write a joke in your log. Some people don't even do that. :D Let's face it, some people are ding-a-lings. That's just the way it is. It's better to just ignore those people and appreciate the people that aren't like that. :D

P.S. I still laugh at the joke that Duncan! wrote in his log on Just Kidding! :P

Edited by TrailGators

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

With the change in the guidelines, having an ALR (additional logging requirement) makes it necessary to re-flag the cache with the Mystery/Puzzle icon...

I must admit that I am guilty of the short log, but mostly on caches that I consider to be "work" rather than "fun." Your caches always have redeeming value, D! But if it don't got a nice view, a physical challenge, a mental challenge, interesting cammo, or something else redeeming about it, my fingers usually don't feel too inspired. I do wonder about those losers folks who find a really cool cache and just give it the TFTC.

Edited by FlagMan
With the change in the guidelines, having an ALR (additional logging requirement) makes it necessary to re-flag the cache with the Mystery/Puzzle icon...
IMO the new guidelines about ALRs give even more reason to separate puzzles from the mystery category. A lot of people ignore mystery caches because they think they are puzzles, but now they could be fun ALR caches like Just Kidding! ;) Are these caches going to be switched over to mystery caches at some point? Edited by TrailGators

They drive me crazy. I think it's a little bit rude, maybe that's just me. So,

For the most part, I try not to worry about it too much. On the other hand, there are a number of caches that I have either bookmarked or watchlisted so that I can read what people have to say about their adventures. Whenever I see a log for one of these caches that says "Found it" or "TNLNSL" or "TFTC" I think to myself "Come on! They couldn't even come up with one sentence to say about this cache? Is that so hard? How pathetic is that?"

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to change their behavior that isn't, in some way, confrontational. So, I try to ignore it by finding my happy place (This is almost always hiding in the next cache I'm looking for and, boy, does it piss me off when I can't find that next cache... ;) )

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

;):D Very interesting thread D!. I can't wait until those negative forum posters chime in! I can't type so it's real hard for me to post my finds. Logging 50 caches using 2 fingers gets fun, but I do try to make an effort. The thing is...so many of my geocaching experiences entall an adventure (in stupidity usually) that I really like to tell all about them. On the other hand...half the reason I place caches is to hear what people will write! You can always count on "Lostguy" to make you laugh! Nice topic D! r/ jodi

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

;):D Very interesting thread D!. I can't wait until those negative forum posters chime in! I can't type so it's real hard for me to post my finds. Logging 50 caches using 2 fingers gets fun, but I do try to make an effort. The thing is...so many of my geocaching experiences entall an adventure (in stupidity usually) that I really like to tell all about them. On the other hand...half the reason I place caches is to hear what people will write! You can always count on "Lostguy" to make you laugh! Nice topic D! r/ jodi

Stuff like this doesn't bother me. While I do take notice when someone finds my entire MTB series for example in one trip and has the exact same log on each one of them, I don't care either way if they write a story or not. I figure there's a lot of caches out there and they took the time to find mine and I'm sure they had a good time doing it.

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

I try to always make a different post for every cache I find and don't think I have ever logged TFTC or TNLNSL as my only note. I read logs from various cachers and will sometimes send them an email if they wrote a log that I really enjoyed. I know I have sent Jodi a few email for some of her logs and I really enjoyed Flagmans log for Kwvers Bird Food! cache and sent him an email of adoration although we all can't be so gifted. I quess we can just continue to enjoy the vast majority who take the time to log each cache individually although if I ever got energetic and found over 30 in a day I don't know how I could remember that many.

<snip>

I try to always make a different post for every cache I find and don't think I have ever logged TFTC or TNLNSL as my only note. I read logs from various cachers and will sometimes send them an email if they wrote a log that I really enjoyed. I know I have sent Jodi a few email for some of her logs and I really enjoyed Flagmans log for Kwvers Bird Food! cache and sent him an email of adoration although we all can't be so gifted. I quess we can just continue to enjoy the vast majority who take the time to log each cache individually although if I ever got energetic and found over 30 in a day I don't know how I could remember that many.

I agree with "lostguy". I may be a bit weird in this, but one of the things I really enjoy about geocaching is reading the logs of other players. I'll even keep track of players around the country who consistently write interesting logs or spin a good yarn about their adventures. Some logs are very interesting in their descriptions of a hike (e.g., Miragee's marathon hikes) and some reveal genuine emotion about the conquest or the memories invoked by a location (Slabymom at GCMHD8 comes to mind). It does get challenging on a 20-cache day to make individual remarks (or sometimes to even remember an individual cache in the series ;) ) but even on a big cache run I try to write something unique about the best ones. It would be nice to think that a clever or challenging hide would generate a good story ... but there are very few rules about playing this game, so I'll keep trying to write good logs and hope everyone else has fun in their own way. There will always be those who work hard to miss out on some of the fun. I've spent my two cents for this week :D

Edited by M2

Oh goody. I'm chiming in on the San Diego thread... :D

Sometimes we do a lot of caches in one day... like 93 last Sunday :D , or 285 the weekend before that. :D ..

I just can't remember all the caches. ;)

We even write notes so we can remember the cache.

But a week later when we are still logging our finds, "under a big bush" or "rock Pile" just doesn't help us remember your cache. :P

We cut and paste our logs a lot. We write notes on the good and the bad ones. :P:P

therefore...

Please make all your caches Outstanding, so we can remember them. :)

A Gecko perspective ...

Enjoying caching is not too dissimilar to how we appreciate art or music. A well planned outing to a special place you might not otherwise know about is always rewarding. Recording your stories (and photos if you are so inclined) and sharing them with others is a nice way of saying thanks to the cache owners. Informative log entries also help introduce new cachers to the game and our community in a positive light.

The remembered experiences are what counts most to us.

-Gecko Dad

So much for what I thought was a bastion of defense against the hordes of political sock puppets to be found in the General Topics Section of the forums! I have found the SD threads to be one of least political, let’s just have fun, see what everybody else is doing, we just want to cache, no need to whine about it, and I don’t really care how we do it, but we are going to do it areas to visit.

MY take on what a cache is:

1st a cache is nothing more than a house. Huhhhh?, yes it is only something you create for the purpose of inviting people into it. Now you can spend days or weeks on your house and make it one of the most stupendous, innovative, well furnished creations yet seen by the caching world or you can toss some tape on a JR tube, put a Glow-N-Dark Alien in it and make it ready to toss out “somewhere”. Now you go out and squat or more nicely said “homestead” a piece of land whether it be the top of some mountain or behind that trash can over there somewhere within your Geocaching area, you must homestead since placing your creation on your own land is frowned upon. So now that you have placed your house out there somewhere; you now invite people into that house to come take a look around at what you have done. You choose to make it a public Open House for anybody and everybody to visit by posting it where anybody can see your address. No one asked you to make that house or to put it where you did, yet you did, so let’s go out and see it. In opening our houses up to the public, we hope that only people of “quality” will come to them and be able to appreciate all or none of the hard work we have put into building, selecting the location, and furnishing our houses. Now the reality check, at times people will visit whose sole purpose is just to take a quick look around the inside, say they were here and move along. Others will take the time and look through your house pretty thoroughly and see what others have had to say about your house. Then there are others who made it a plan to visit your house and only your house that day for whatever reason they have in that head of theirs and they will sit in your house for hours not only enjoying your home, but maybe even enjoying the land where you placed your house, they will take their boots off and kick up their feet on your favorite “ottoman saddle”, start snacking on YOUR cheetos; all because you invited them to. If they are properly impressed in their mind about your house they may even be willing to write something about your house in public so as to maybe get other “Like Minded” visitors to that particular house. If you feel you don't want your house to be an "Open House", you can always go to one of those other listing services {Upwards turn of the nose and a haughty sniff of approval}{ohhhh just take it as the joke is what meant to be!!!}.

We all make the attempt for the most part to impress those we invite to our house, yet we don’t always succeed. You can’t please everybody in everything you do, so it is best to just please yourself {talking our house here!}, one man’s mansion is another’s hole in the wall. If you feel you did a good job of it then you did, doesn’t really matter all that much what others think of your house, although it is nice to receive a kind word now and then on your try. For myself, I don’t really put them out there to make the community drop down to their knees and turn my house into a shrine, I understand that it is just a candy tube/ lock n lock/ ammo can/ or even one of them evil bison tubes, placed out there for other’s enjoyment, with some sort of comfortable furniture to entice then to come to it and they may enjoy it however they see fit to enjoy that house. I don’t get discouraged if it is a short log and don’t really expect a stupendous novel either, just that someone took the time to notice it and feel the need to visit was pretty cool.

TNLNSL TFTC!- Guilty!

Cut N Paste- Oh yeah super Guilty!

Left a pretty good log when I found the day’s travels, day’s company, or even the cache to be something I want to remember and leave my mark – Guilty!

On almost every caching experience so far I have found a way to experience some fun, whether in the cache, the solo trip, the drive, or the group outing and the conversation, or even just the 7-11 slurpy afterwards – Guilty!

Is this a negative post, nope, I will still go out and enjoy my time caching in this great area and meeting those along the way that I do. I still find the experience to be more important or more fulfilling to ME, and that is just ME, than the actual container, location, hide, contents or whatever. I guess for me caching is just going out having an enjoyable time and treating each and every find as if it was my first. Do I agree with everybody here, nope not in the least, do I disagree with everybody here, nope not in the least, am I going to run out and put a bunch of caches on an ignore list now, nope, especially the 3* and above ones {my new goal}, have..... to..... raise..... my..... terrain...... rating.

Enjoy! However it is that you do find enjoyment.

Edited by CTYankee9
<snip> :D Yeah..I was on the phone with KWVER..trying him him him a lifeline . . .

Jahoadi, how long have you had this stuttering problem? :D

:D Now ain't that the pot calling the kettle black Mr. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSnake! It was 0600...I hadn't even had coffee yet.... I can always count on you to catch those little "fox-paws" can't I? V/R jl

<snip> :D Yeah..I was on the phone with KWVER..trying him him him a lifeline . . .

Jahoadi, how long have you had this stuttering problem? :D

:D Now ain't that the pot calling the kettle black Mr. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSnake! It was 0600...I hadn't even had coffee yet.... I can always count on you to catch those little "fox-paws" can't I? V/R jl

I wouldn't tease you if I didn't like you :D

They drive me crazy. I think it's a little bit rude, maybe that's just me.

First, I tend to treat my logs like the caches I find. If it is an LPC, or something else that is totally uninspired, then my log will be uninspired also. However, if you put effort into the cache, I will put effort into my log as well.

On a second note, I have to admit that I found your post really funny. :D

When he is in town...you cache with the cut and paste king! :D

They drive me crazy. I think it's a little bit rude, maybe that's just me.

First, I tend to treat my logs like the caches I find. If it is an LPC, or something else that is totally uninspired, then my log will be uninspired also. However, if you put effort into the cache, I will put effort into my log as well.

On a second note, I have to admit that I found your post really funny. :D

When he is in town...you cache with the cut and paste king! :D

TFTP!