The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I have another little tidbit. On one of the other threads someone was asking where people fell in the history of their state. As we know California was one of the early adopter states. When I joined about 4.5 years ago there were only 2000 caches in the entire state. Now there are 2000 caches within 20 miles of my house! It's pretty amazing how fast it's grown. It has been an exponential growth curve. ;)

It worries me that the growth curve can't just keep going like that without loss of quality. I guess it has already happened, but it doesn't seem terrible, yet. But eventually, if the growth keeps up, won't there be a cache in a lampskirt or transformer every 0.1 miles in urban areas, and caches every 0.1 miles along every possible path in every park or open space, and caches that require bushwacking in every open space that doesn't ban it? I'd guess that there's a cache in every major scenic viewpoint in San Diego county already, for example, and I'm not bothered that there are a few more to grab on the way to those spots. But where does it stop? There's really no need for caches every 0.1 miles of every trail to every scenic spot. I have been hoping that I'd see a slowdown of the growth curve after geocaching found most of the hikers and geeks, but it hasn't happened yet.

Until you have been on the trail, like the one that starts at "And so the adventure begins . . . , "please don't complain about having a cache nearly every .1 of a mile. :P

If the rock formations along that trail were in Iowa, or Kansas, the area would have been turned into a National or State Park. I highly recommend the caches along that series to anyone who can walk that distance. It is not that difficult a hike . . . really, especially on a nice cool day like today. :)

And, if you are into numbers, you get lots of smilies while seeing some awesome country. B)

I browsed a few of those caches before, I'm definitely looking forward to hiking that trail! And certainly not all hikes are created equal.

Also, I have to admit that I've squeezed a few caches in between other caches at 0.1 intervals myself. But just a couple!

That would have been great for TT, back in the day, to figure out where he hid all those dang puzzle caches...
That gizmo still might be of use for FM on or about Memorial day weekend as I'm tentatively planning on checking/maintaining/replacing all my SD caches and maybe....just maybe if you're all nice...dropping a couple more TT/Cow Spot specials on you.

(Frankly...you all have had it too easy for the last year and a half.)

Year and a half? I've only had 35 days, 2 hours, and 23 minutes of freedom... :anicute:

It's much too soon for "it" to start again... :unsure:

:anibad::D:D OMG :D:D:D

:anicute: "It" has started again... :D

Check out the new format for cache pages. A new coordinate conversion tool has been added to take most of the fun out of some of those evil puzzle caches....

Can you be more specific and identify said evil puzzles :blink::( .

I was trying to download the Garmin Communicator Plugin to download coords directly into the GPS, but I don't see it on the Garmin download page. Anyone know where it is?

Also, there appears to be a direct page to GPS loading tool without the need for all that tedious mucking about with pocket queries. Too bad I can't install the GPS software on my work computer. Stupid lack of IT Admin priviliges!!!

I can't say that I'm too pleased with the coord converter. It's nice to have, but sad for some puzzlers out there. Fortunately, MGRS, Irish, and other more obscure reference geoids are not included.

And a big thanks to all who came out to the mini pizza non-event on Sunday. Great to see all you all again, and meet some other new faces in SD.

--TT--

Check out the new format for cache pages. A new coordinate conversion tool has been added to take most of the fun out of some of those evil puzzle caches....

Can you be more specific and identify said evil puzzles :lol::blink: .

I was trying to download the Garmin Communicator Plugin to download coords directly into the GPS, but I don't see it on the Garmin download page. Anyone know where it is?

At least the Maps are back, :( sure helps when you only have dial up. Saves time and mouse clicks. :(

Can you be more specific and identify said evil puzzles :D:D .

Garmin Communicator Plugin

I got it to work with my Legend, but so far only with Internet Explorer, not Firefox.

Can you be more specific and identify said evil puzzles :D:D .

Garmin Communicator Plugin

I got it to work with my Legend, but so far only with Internet Explorer, not Firefox.

I just installed it to one of my desktops that is running Windows Vista Pro and used it to transfer a couple caches to my GPSMap 60CSx. Seemed to work fine! Although it transfers the GC number as the name and the Alphanumeric Name into the Note section, anyone know if there is a way to change this? Also after installing the test page at Garmin wouldn't work, I get a unhandled exception: Error: Garmin Plug-in not activated. Oh well who cares about the test page it does work with Geocaching.com!

So how many SD county cachers are planning on going to geowoodstock next year in Sacramento

I already told work and the Geowife that I will be out of town this time next year. They all think I'm mad...MAD I TELL YOU!!! WELL, I'LL SHOW THEM WHO'S MAD!!! :D

D!

I just installed it to one of my desktops that is running Windows Vista Pro and used it to transfer a couple caches to my GPSMap 60CSx. Seemed to work fine! Although it transfers the GC number as the name and the Alphanumeric Name into the Note section, anyone know if there is a way to change this? Also after installing the test page at Garmin wouldn't work, I get a unhandled exception: Error: Garmin Plug-in not activated. Oh well who cares about the test page it does work with Geocaching.com!

I had the same experience with my 60CSx and Vista Pro. Cache pages work. Test page doesn't. I really don't see using the feature much, since I like the way I have GSAK set to name things. Now if you can modify the way info is sent to the GPSr . . .

I had the same experience with my 60CSx and Vista Pro. Cache pages work. Test page doesn't. I really don't see using the feature much, since I like the way I have GSAK set to name things. Now if you can modify the way info is sent to the GPSr . . .

Even works on my Mac, although only in the Window XP environment under Parallels...

So how many SD county cachers are planning on going to geowoodstock next year in Sacramento

I already told work and the Geowife that I will be out of town this time next year. They all think I'm mad...MAD I TELL YOU!!! WELL, I'LL SHOW THEM WHO'S MAD!!! :(

D!

i told the wife the family would be vacationing in sacramento next year for memorial day!!!! 200+ caches is the goal :(

B) Wow!! Cache Across America was finally completed. Check out the cache and pay extra attention to VERMONT!! :Dgc12e08

That Vermont couple looks vaguely familiar. If they have poison oak in Vermont then that guy in the back is probably sitting in it.

Well, I'm not sure if they have PO there, but they do have poison ivy...and that has leaves of 3 as well.

:( Wow!! Cache Across America was finally completed. Check out the cache and pay extra attention to VERMONT!! :ogc12e08

That Vermont couple looks vaguely familiar. If they have poison oak in Vermont then that guy in the back is probably sitting in it.

B):DB)

Now that you mention it, those leaves do look like they come in groups of three...

516879fe-6f6c-4de9-95ea-8d4f8a014d50.jpg

Thing is that Basket Bush has the same three-leaf setup except no Petiole on the middle leaf. Basket Bush even grows amongst Poison Oak and looks exactly like the itchy stuff except for that one feature.

Guess what the aboriginals did with Basket Bush.

My goodness, ain't Jodi flexible?

Edited by SD Rowdies

You know you are from San Diego when...

Your high school had a surf team;

You can correctly pronounce Tierrasanta, La Jolla, Rancho Penasquitos, San Ysidro, Otay Mesa, Jamacha, Jamul, Cuyamaca, and El Cajon;

Chula-juana is a real town;

Your house is worth more than some small countries;

You know what MB, OB, IB, and PB stand for;

There are four distinct seasons: Summer, Not Quite Summer, Almost Summer, and Oh Hey Look Its Summer Again;

Every street name is either in Spanish or Spanish related, and you're surprised when other areas don't have this;

You can determine the accuracy of someone's "I'm ghetto" claim by knowing their high school -for example, El Camino High School or Crawford High School;

The Micro Climate Weather - You see weather forecasts for four different climate zones in the same county, and aren't remotely surprised;

You've gone to Mt. Helix in July and known you still need a jacket;

You've tailgated at Qualcomm Stadium - bonus point: also tailgated when it was Jack Murphy Stadium;

You have a favorite - the WAP or the Zoo;

You've been on a field trip to see an Imax movie at the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center;

You've been to the desert, the mountains, and the beach - all in one day;

You still call it the Del Mar Fair;

A famous skateboarder/surfer lives in your town;

There's a North County, a South County, and an East County but no Central County;

"Mossy Nissan! Mossy Nissan! Mossy Nissan Moves You!";

You know why Hillcrest is known as 'the Swish Alps';

You know what it means when two guys are walking in Hillcrest;

You know what it means when a girl in a short skirt is walking on El Cajon Blvd;

You've gotten stuck in the Horton Plaza parking structure traffic after a Padres game;

You know what "The Merge" is, and will plan your entire day around not being on it during rush hour;

You've been to Belmont Park;

You've taken the Coaster and laughed at people sitting in traffic on the 5;

You know the difference between Clairemont Mesa, Kearny Mesa, Mira Mesa, and Serra Mesa;

You've gone to Sea World on a warm day and sat in the first few rows at the Shamu Show to get cooled off;

You've been delayed at the Border Checkpoints at the I-5 & the I-15;

Your house doesn't have air conditioning - unless you live in the East County;

Everyone has their favorite beach;

No matter what the weather is, there is always someone walking around in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops;

You live on, near or are surrounded by hills;

You don't know how to drive in the rain;

You have family and or friends that have moved to Arizona;

You used to, and sometimes still do ride the carousel at Seaport Village;

You know someone who doesn't own pants, and have a neighbor who doesn't seem to own a shirt;

You know that Santee and Lakeside are where the 'cowboys' live;

You know what Santa Ana's are, and that they have literally nothing to do with the city of Santa Ana;

If the menu doesn't have California burritos on it, forget it, its not real Mexican food;

You remember when 'Mission Valley' was cow pastures (Oh... to have bought land then!)

Every street name is either in Spanish or Spanish related, and you're surprised when other areas don't have this;

My street's name is half-Spanish, half-Portugese. Must have been named by Cabrillo (or is that Cabrilho?) himself. Now that's authentic San Diego!

I, myself, however, am not authentic San Diego. Having been born in Baton Rouge, I moved here and saw a sign for "El Cajon" and thought it had something to do with a guy named Pierre who eats alligator gumbo down on the bayou :blink:

You know you are from San Diego when...

You know what it means when a girl in a short skirt is walking on El Cajon Blvd;

Our office used to be a couple of blocks north of El Cajon Blvd. Every time we went to lunch we'd pass the working girls. Used to feel kinda bad for them when there was a cold wind blowing :blink:

January 2004 San Diego Leaders

Remember when 1000 caches was a big number?

Remember when I went by the name Duscwe! (most pronounced it "douche-way")?

Just realized I passed my 4th year of caching...

What, exactly, was Parsa doing with this list... :lol:

I was just looking at numbers for something I'm doing, and this is the rough breakdown. I hope I didn't forget someone from the county. If I did, I'm sure I'll hear from you!

1075 Ruscal

1030 Team Gecko

918 splashman

810 Parsa

680 K-NIC

669 Vagabond

663 p.wood

630 dhsundance

610 Rocky Red

603 SlabyFam

551 mark71mark

538 JB & LF (Jelly Belly and Leap Frog)

536 missmarbles

446 FlagMan

370 pjh

353 kawikaturn

332 Kite & Hawkeye

329 Fattboy

328 Duscwe!

328 geojim1

Ah, the memories ...

Back in that era we had to travel to the far corners of the county to get to 1000. Pretty much knew where every cache was and knew the owner(s), too. A big day was 3 finds (except the Splashes were already racking up 10 or more on some outings). I recall fondly one of the early picnics, in Kit Carson Park, where Team Gecko got to mingle with Yrium, Vagabond, Mark71Mark, Parsa, and other early GC icons.

-GD

February 1, 2003: San Diego GeoCachers Potluck and 100K Fun Run by The Adams Family Circus

972324_700.JPG

What, exactly, was Parsa doing with this list... :D

I was just looking at numbers for something I'm doing, and this is the rough breakdown. I hope I didn't forget someone from the county. If I did, I'm sure I'll hear from you!

1075 Ruscal

1030 Team Gecko

918 splashman

810 Parsa

680 K-NIC

669 Vagabond

663 p.wood

630 dhsundance

610 Rocky Red

603 SlabyFam

551 mark71mark

536 missmarbles

446 FlagMan

370 pjh

353 kawikaturn

332 Kite & Hawkeye

329 Fattboy

328 Duscwe!

328 geojim1

Ah, the memories ...

Back in that era we had to travel to the far corners of the county to get to 1000. Pretty much knew where every cache was and knew the owner(s), too. A big day was 3 finds (except the Splashes were already racking up 10 or more on some outings). I recall fondly one of the early picnics, in Kit Carson Park, where Team Gecko got to mingle with Yrium, Vagabond, Mark71Mark, Parsa, and other early GC icons.

-GD

February 1, 2003: San Diego GeoCachers Potluck and 100K Fun Run by The Adams Family Circus

972324_700.JPG

Hey I remeber those days!

That's me on the far left of the photo!!

Just slowly creeping up to my 500th cache, maybe I'll make it this year!!

ttfn jane

Ah, the memories ...

-GD

972324_700.JPG

This was my first event ever! And my first time actually meeting most of the founders of the SD Caching Community...

Edited by FlagMan

Ah, the memories ...

-GD

972324_700.JPG

This was my first event ever! And my first time actually meeting most of the founders of the SD Caching Community...

Why are you the only one with a plate of food :rolleyes: .

What, exactly, was Parsa doing with this list... :rolleyes:

1075 Ruscal

1030 Team Gecko

918 splashman

810 Parsa

680 K-NIC

669 Vagabond

663 p.wood

630 dhsundance

610 Rocky Red

603 SlabyFam

551 mark71mark

536 missmarbles

446 FlagMan

370 pjh

353 kawikaturn

332 Kite & Hawkeye

329 Fattboy

328 Duscwe!

328 geojim1

This was one of the few times I was ahead of CHUY! I had 10 finds on this date and Chuy! wouldn't make his first find for another 11 days.

Ah, the memories ...

-GD

972324_700.JPG

I became a member just a few days after this event so I wasn't fortunate enough to attend. I'm star-struck just looking at this photo. I wonder how many of these cachers ended up on Yrium's cards?

Ah, the memories ...

-GD

972324_700.JPG

I became a member just a few days after this event so I wasn't fortunate enough to attend. I'm star-struck just looking at this photo. I wonder how many of these cachers ended up on Yrium's cards?

I was there and tried a couple of times to introduce myself to Yrium. It was hard to bust through his circle of admirers so I just stuck my hand through the crowd and shook his hand and said hello. My Sandy Creek Cowboy pal Carpenter from Hell was there as well and we are both in the photo, he in the cowboy hat.

After Yrium passed away and then Gecko Dad and FlagMan took on the Yrium cards I was invited to produce Photoshop layouts for twelve of the YMS cards. The Sandy Creek Cowboys were elected to YMS Card #3 by non-other than TT.

O yeah, th' eats were good at that event.

Who has the original of that shot by the way? It could use some improvement in the shadowed areas so's we can see everybody.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Did you look on the events page,it might have the complete pic, as that one has been cut off on the right side

V-

It isn't cut off, just too large for one screen (depending on the resolution you have set for Windows. Drag your browser slider to the right to see the rest of the folks.

-GD

Did you look on the events page,it might have the complete pic, as that one has been cut off on the right side

Actually I'm interested in the original image at full resolution. Wonder who shot that frame?

Web images including the Geocaching site are mostly resized and converted to 72 dpi to save storage space. It would be nice to have the image that came right from the camera.

Have any of you all checked out Google Earth 4.1 yet?

It takes a bit of getting used to. The user interface has changed. To me (an old fart but not as old as some old farts who roam these forums...) it's not quite as intuitive as the old but to the iPhone/iPod/Web 2.0 generation, its probably hip/slick and cool (of course, the Web 2.0 generation would never be caught dead saying "hip slick and cool"...but I digress...)

A couple of things are neat is that GPX files that are imported have the correct geocacheing icon applied! :anitongue: Also, there is a time slider that lets you look at what caches were placed when. This was a bit disconcerting when I first imported a GPX because I could only see two caches out of a GPX that had 250 in it. But then I figured it out by mucking the time slider. (The default position of the slider only showed two caches placed back in 2001.)

Both of the following images were generated using the same GPS file:

Before the 2006 Cache War

8633efcd-c573-4f16-a1b5-8395336caa74.jpg

After the 2006 Cache War

6163eba2-9c21-40b9-8afa-3c10b9c07d5e.jpg

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Have any of you all checked out Google Earth 4.1 yet?

It takes a bit of getting used to. The user interface has changed. To me (an old fart but not as old as some old farts who roam these forums...) it's not quite as intuitive as the old but to the iPhone/iPod/Web 2.0 generation, its probably hip/slick and cool (of course, the Web 2.0 generation would never be caught dead saying "hip slick and cool"...but I digress...)

A couple of things are neat is that GPX files that are imported have the correct geocacheing icon applied! :anitongue: Also, there is a time slider that lets you look at what caches were placed when. This was a bit disconcerting when I first imported a GPX because I could only see two caches out of a GPX that had 250 in it. But then I figured it out by mucking the time slider. (The default position of the slider only showed two caches placed back in 2001.)

Both of the following images were generated using the same GPS file:

Before the 2006 Cache War

8633efcd-c573-4f16-a1b5-8395336caa74.jpg

After the 2006 Cache War

6163eba2-9c21-40b9-8afa-3c10b9c07d5e.jpg

Those were the days my friend ....