The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Anyone know how long GC is going to be down? :D

The main page is showing status updates.

The new software is up and running...

• Cache pages now display a count of Finds, DNFs, Notes and so on.
  • Pictures uploaded by the cache owner are displayed above the logs (Not sure I like this feature...It kind of gets in the way if there are very many pictures and it's going to be a drag looking at cache pages on the browser of my mobile...)
  • Thumbnails of pictures are displayed with the associated log on the cache page
  • Any events that you posted a "Will Attend" log are noted on your "My Account" page (very useful for people like me who tend to forget about things like this...
  • And there is something called "My Friends"

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

There is...or was...or will be. Due to recent upheval in life I no longer possess the graphics files that I used. But I'm working on retrieval as we speak.

Taking sizing requests. Duncan? XL? Tom? XXXL? :D

And as I recall, only FM and Duncan! can claim to have found all my SD puzzles, maybe John&Jess as well.

--TT--

What size is best for the bottom of my birdcage?!? B) Just kidding, of course. XL would be just fine... B)

Does this mean you're gunna take me off your Friends list?

Edited by FlagMan
Anyone know how long GC is going to be down? :D

The main page is showing status updates.

• Cache pages now display a count of Finds, DNFs, Notes and so on.
  • Pictures uploaded by the cache owner are displayed above the logs (Not sure I like this feature...It kind of gets in the way if there are very many pictures and it's going to be a drag looking at cache pages on the browser of my mobile...)
  • Thumbnails of pictures are displayed with the associated log on the cache page
  • Any events that you posted a "Will Attend" log are noted on your "My Account" page (very useful for people like me who tend to forget about things like this...
  • And there is something called "My Friends"

Very cool!

7b2c7751-d393-4ce0-bc6c-0ddd41b3c56c.jpg

I like what I see so far.

There is...or was...or will be. Due to recent upheval in life I no longer possess the graphics files that I used. But I'm working on retrieval as we speak.

Taking sizing requests. Duncan? XL? Tom? XXXL? :P

And as I recall, only FM and Duncan! can claim to have found all my SD puzzles, maybe John&Jess as well.

--TT--

What size is best for the bottom of my birdcage?!? :) Just kidding, of course. XL would be just fine... :)

Does this mean you're gunna take me off your Friends list?

Archived graphic files were emailed to TT last night.

And there is something called "My Friends"

godfather_games.jpg

"What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? Had you come to me in friendship, then this micro-cache that ruined your caching would be suffering this very day. And that by chance if an honest man such as yourself should have DNFs, then they would become my DNFs. And then they would fear you."

"Be my friend ---- Godfather?"

"This I cannot do."

-----------------------------------

Edited by TucsonThompsen

Since geeky interests seem to overlap (Geocaching, Where'sGeorge, Bookcrossing, Letterboxing, etc.), I figured I might as well ask: Anybody here use PGP? I'm looking to trade key signatures.

(Yeah, yeah, I know, "F" has one flat, "G" has one sharp....)

So what did everyone think of the EVENTS today???

I only have one complain . :D Where the heck was every ones name tags. I saw a lot of folks I have met before but couldn't remember their names. Maybe it's a getting old thing :D but name tags sure would of helped. Also a lot of new faces with no names. :blink:

I only have one complain . :blink: Where the heck was every ones name tags. I saw a lot of folks I have met before but couldn't remember their names. Maybe it's a getting old thing :D but name tags sure would of helped. Also a lot of new faces with no names. :D

I spoke with Foxtail and she said that due to time constraints they scrapped the name tags. You were easy to recognize with that "special" pin on your hat, but you're right the name tags would have helped.

I only have one complain . :blink: Where the heck was every ones name tags. I saw a lot of folks I have met before but couldn't remember their names. Maybe it's a getting old thing :D but name tags sure would of helped. Also a lot of new faces with no names. :D

Devhead and Cache_Kid planned ahead and came prepared with their own nametags. I was wishing that I had been as smart...

Well, somebody sure done fixed sumpthin'. I'm logging finds and TB's and whatnot at 6 PM PDT on a Sunday evening just as fast as if it were midnight on a Wednesday and I had the server to myself. Thanks, Groundspeak!

I only have one complain . :D Where the heck was every ones name tags. I saw a lot of folks I have met before but couldn't remember their names. Maybe it's a getting old thing :D but name tags sure would of helped. Also a lot of new faces with no names. :D

Hey SKILLET - I think we should all take a leaf out of your book and make our own ones for future events! Or maybe someone could design one that we could print out and add our caching names to? :blink:

P.S. Sorry zeber and I didn't make it to brunch - we got busy chatting to other cachers, and by the time we were ready to leave we figured you guys would be finished. :huh: Next time!

:D NAME TAGS WE DONT NEED ANY STINKEN NAME TAGS :D

:D YOUR JUST GETTING OLD !!! :blink:

:huh: FATTBOY :D

I only have one complain . :D Where the heck was every ones name tags. I saw a lot of folks I have met before but couldn't remember their names. Maybe it's a getting old thing :D but name tags sure would of helped. Also a lot of new faces with no names. :D

I only have one complain . :) Where the heck was every ones name tags. I saw a lot of folks I have met before but couldn't remember their names. Maybe it's a getting old thing :cry: but name tags sure would of helped. Also a lot of new faces with no names. :(

For those of you that wear ball caps

18f4ecee-7d96-4a9d-bdcf-ce7d3ad49296.jpg

I had this made for me at the Spring Valley swapmeet for a total of $ 5.00. The guy was in the first row as you go in the first entrance turn left and he was about half way down on the right side

Edited by vagabond

In regards to the bees... I read recently that a large percentage of SD bees are now Africanized bees.

Once I watched an episode of California's Gold and a biologist was stomping around on the boulder near the bee hive, and there was no real big reaction. Then he went up an breathed into the hive, which is what a bear would do, and the bees started going crazy and swarming. Personally, I thought HE was a bit crazy for doing that. At least I think these were normal bees, and not Africanized ones. So... if they start trying to kill you when you breath on the hive, they are probably Africanized. Let us know how that turns out. :laughing:

Parsa

I only have one complain . :wub: Where the heck was every ones name tags. I saw a lot of folks I have met before but couldn't remember their names. Maybe it's a getting old thing :wub: but name tags sure would of helped. Also a lot of new faces with no names. :anicute:

For those of you that wear ball caps

18f4ecee-7d96-4a9d-bdcf-ce7d3ad49296.jpg

I had this made for me at the Spring Valley swapmeet for a total of $ 5.00. The guy was in the first row as you go in the first entrance turn left and he was about half way down on the right side

BUt shouldn't that hat be green?!? :laughing:

In regards to the bees... I read recently that a large percentage of SD bees are now Africanized bees.

Once I watched an episode of California's Gold and a biologist was stomping around on the boulder near the bee hive, and there was no real big reaction. Then he went up an breathed into the hive, which is what a bear would do, and the bees started going crazy and swarming. Personally, I thought HE was a bit crazy for doing that. At least I think these were normal bees, and not Africanized ones. So... if they start trying to kill you when you breath on the hive, they are probably Africanized. Let us know how that turns out. :laughing:

Parsa

Thanks, I'll try to remember to stop myself, if I have a strong urge to breathe on a bee's nest.... :wub::anicute:

Parsa

Well, I think I was holding my breath the whole time! :wub:

The process was incredibly smooth! In fact, I asked my 11-year-old what he thought when I had finished...and he said, "I was hoping for some more action!" :anicute:

Here are a couple of the pics...I have more that I will be uploading to a Photobucket account I just made. I won't tie up too much bandwidth here since it isn't really caching related.

Hive.jpg

This is a shot of the exposed hive after I removed plywood panel in the ceiling. The actual size is a semi-sphere about the size of a soccer ball.

Placing-comb.jpg

Here I am in my bee suit. That is one of the five combs that made up the hive. I mounted them in frames that I modified to be able to secure the comb in-place.

Frame-in-Hive-box.jpg

This shot shows some of the frames with the comb mounted that are in the new hive box.

Transferring-Swarm.jpg

After I had all the comb in the new box, the bees started tearing the comb apart and trying to move it back to the shed. I placed the smoker in the shed, and the smoke drove all the bees out. They then made a big swarm on the entrance they had been using. I grabbed a few handfuls, and placed them on the landing strip of the hive, and the majority entered the new hive. I noticed a few bees sitting outside the entrance fanning their wings rapidly...I figured it was some sort of signal. After a few minutes, I set up a ladder by the shed, and moved the hive on top of the ladder. This brought it to within a foot of the old hive entrance. The bees signaling with their wings got the attention of the rest of the swarm, and they all left the shed wall and entered the new hive. Yesterday, the collectors were busily bringing pollen and nectar into their new hive!

Parsa

Well, I think I was holding my breath the whole time! :anicute:

The process was incredibly smooth! In fact, I asked my 11-year-old what he thought when I had finished...and he said, "I was hoping for some more action!" :wub:

Here are a couple of the pics...I have more that I will be uploading to a Photobucket account I just made. I won't tie up too much bandwidth here since it isn't really caching related.

Hive.jpg

This is a shot of the exposed hive after I removed plywood panel in the ceiling. The actual size is a semi-sphere about the size of a soccer ball.

Placing-comb.jpg

Here I am in my bee suit. That is one of the five combs that made up the hive. I mounted them in frames that I modified to be able to secure the comb in-place.

Frame-in-Hive-box.jpg

This shot shows some of the frames with the comb mounted that are in the new hive box.

Transferring-Swarm.jpg

After I had all the comb in the new box, the bees started tearing the comb apart and trying to move it back to the shed. I placed the smoker in the shed, and the smoke drove all the bees out. They then made a big swarm on the entrance they had been using. I grabbed a few handfuls, and placed them on the landing strip of the hive, and the majority entered the new hive. I noticed a few bees sitting outside the entrance fanning their wings rapidly...I figured it was some sort of signal. After a few minutes, I set up a ladder by the shed, and moved the hive on top of the ladder. This brought it to within a foot of the old hive entrance. The bees signaling with their wings got the attention of the rest of the swarm, and they all left the shed wall and entered the new hive. Yesterday, the collectors were busily bringing pollen and nectar into their new hive!

I'm very proud of you and glad to have been a part of the encouragement. Nicely done.

So now your all set to produce some honey. Actually the big bee-money is in cosmetics rather than bottled honey.

Thanks for the photos too. Always keep in mind, bees are our friends.

Now your all set to bee-box the "Jutht Whithtle" beeth.

Harmon

By the way, you look ever-so dashing in a beekeeper suite. ... now you are officially Green.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Parsa

Well, I think I was holding my breath the whole time! :anicute:

The process was incredibly smooth! In fact, I asked my 11-year-old what he thought when I had finished...and he said, "I was hoping for some more action!" :wub:

Hive.jpg

Placing-comb.jpg

Frame-in-Hive-box.jpg

Transferring-Swarm.jpg

I'm glad to hear that you didn't opt for the five dollar solution. Great photos! :wub:

Random silliness

How Do You Catch a Unique Rabbit? :anicute: Unique Up On It.

How Do You Catch a Tame Rabbit? :sad: Tame Way, Unique Up On It.

How Do Crazy People Go Through The Forest? :wub: They Take The Psycho Path

What Do Eskimos Get From Sitting On The Ice Too Long? :wub: Polaroids

What Do You Call a Boomerang That Doesn't work? :sad: A Stick

What's The Difference Between Roast Beef And Pea Soup? :sad: Anyone Can Roast Beef. Can You Pea Soup?

Where Do You Find a Dog With No Legs? ;) Right Where You Left Him.

Why Don't Blind People Like To Sky Dive? ;) Because It Scares The Dog.

What Is The Difference Between a Harley And a Hoover? :) The Location Of The Dirt Bag.

How Are a Texas Tornado And a Tennessee Divorce The Same? :laughing: Somebody's Gonna Lose A Trailer

After finding a neat GSAK macro to optimize pocket queries, here's an interesting factoid from the results (pretty much all of San Diego County to the Salton Sea):

Date Range of Cache Placements per ~500 caches, # of caches, # of days in range:

01 9/10/2000-10/22/2003 496 1137

02 10/23/2003-10/24/2004 497 367

03 10/25/2004-6/23/2005 497 241

04 6/24/2005-12/4/2005 495 163

05 12/5/2005-3/30/2006 498 115

06 3/31/2006-7/4/2006 496 95

07 7/5/2006-11/1/2006 498 119

08 11/2/2006-2/19/2007 496 109

09 2/20/2007-5/15/2007 492 84

10 5/16/2007-Now 32

We're basically stabilizing around 2000 new caches a year! :laughing:

(on edit: DOH! my table got eaten! :anicute: )

Edited by TFTC
After finding a neat GSAK macro to optimize pocket queries, here's an interesting factoid from the results (pretty much all of San Diego County to the Salton Sea):

Date Range of Cache Placements per ~500 caches, # of caches, # of days in range:

01 9/10/2000-10/22/2003 496 1137

02 10/23/2003-10/24/2004 497 367

03 10/25/2004-6/23/2005 497 241

04 6/24/2005-12/4/2005 495 163

05 12/5/2005-3/30/2006 498 115

06 3/31/2006-7/4/2006 496 95

07 7/5/2006-11/1/2006 498 119

08 11/2/2006-2/19/2007 496 109

09 2/20/2007-5/15/2007 492 84

10 5/16/2007-Now 32

We're basically stabilizing around 2000 new caches a year! :laughing:

(on edit: DOH! my table got eaten! :anicute: )

That is very cool! It is also very useful! If you want a PQ that gives you 1000 caches centered on one spot in SD then you can run one 500 cache PQ that pulls all caches hidden prior to 2006 and one 500 cache PQ that pulls all the caches hidden during and after 2006, and overlay them to get one big 1000 cache PQ. :wub: It is interesting that the number of caches in the area has doubled in the last 17 months! :wub: Edited by TrailGators

I noticed something interesting in the data. It shows up quite clearly if you plot it out. The curve looks like the standard exponential curve you'd expect given that the caching community is getting larger -- except for an anomaly in the Spring of 2006. That was time period when the infamous 2006 MTRP Cache War was raging...

2fd46afa-bf4b-4251-8abf-ea0363931e86.jpg

I noticed something interesting in the data. It shows up quite clearly if you plot it out. The curve looks like the standard exponential curve you'd expect given that the caching community is getting larger -- except for an anomaly in the Spring of 2006. That was time period when the infamous 2006 MTRP Cache War was raging...

I'm so proud.

I'm so proud.

That is interesting. I guess the major cache hiders were all sucked into the MTRP vortex during that period of time. :D

I have another little tidbit. On one of the other threads someone was asking where people fell in the history of their state. As we know California was one of the early adopter states. When I joined about 4.5 years ago there were only 2000 caches in the entire state. Now there are 2000 caches within 20 miles of my house! It's pretty amazing how fast it's grown. It has been an exponential growth curve. :D

Edited by TrailGators

Any interest in having a paperless caching clinic? :D

It's been some time since the last one. :D

Lots of new cachers lately. :D

Who's gonna fly RocketMan in from CO??? :D

D!

Is this something to figure out how to use GSAK and cachemate and what-not effectively for us new people?

If so, I would have an interest in it, I've left behind or lost so many pens at caches :D !

I'm so proud, call that peak the Carl-Harmon anomaly

That is interesting. I guess the major cache hiders were all sucked into the MTRP vortex during that period of time. :D

I have another little tidbit. On one of the other threads someone was asking where people fell in the history of their state. As we know California was one of the early adopter states. When I joined about 4.5 years ago there were only 2000 caches in the entire state. Now there are 2000 caches within 20 miles of my house! It's pretty amazing how fast it's grown. It has been an exponential growth curve. :D

Another interesting thing has happened to Geocachers with very high find-counts.

In the earlyy days there weren't all that many caches so one had to wait around for new caches before going out on a hunt. Now with a very high find-count one must wait around for new caches just like in the beginning. History repeating itself?

Blessed are the hiders for they shall blanket the Earth.

Edited by SD Rowdies

It worries me that the growth curve can't just keep going like that without loss of quality. I guess it has already happened, but it doesn't seem terrible, yet. But eventually, if the growth keeps up, won't there be a cache in a lampskirt or transformer every 0.1 miles in urban areas, and caches every 0.1 miles along every possible path in every park or open space, and caches that require bushwacking in every open space that doesn't ban it? I'd guess that there's a cache in every major scenic viewpoint in San Diego county already, for example, and I'm not bothered that there are a few more to grab on the way to those spots. But where does it stop? There's really no need for caches every 0.1 miles of every trail to every scenic spot. I have been hoping that I'd see a slowdown of the growth curve after geocaching found most of the hikers and geeks, but it hasn't happened yet.

It worries me that the growth curve can't just keep going like that without loss of quality. I guess it has already happened, but it doesn't seem terrible, yet. But eventually, if the growth keeps up, won't there be a cache in a lampskirt or transformer every 0.1 miles in urban areas, and caches every 0.1 miles along every possible path in every park or open space, and caches that require bushwacking in every open space that doesn't ban it? I'd guess that there's a cache in every major scenic viewpoint in San Diego county already, for example, and I'm not bothered that there are a few more to grab on the way to those spots. But where does it stop? There's really no need for caches every 0.1 miles of every trail to every scenic spot. I have been hoping that I'd see a slowdown of the growth curve after geocaching found most of the hikers and geeks, but it hasn't happened yet.

The end game will be a barter system for existing caches that you can archive to make room for a new one.

The end game will be a barter system for existing caches that you can archive to make room for a new one.
Maybe we could play a game like Risk where you roll dice with the owner of an adjacent cache and whoever gets the higher number gets to conquer that cache. All I know is that I want Kamchatka because I have a Diabetes TB that needs to get there.... :D Edited by TrailGators

I'm so proud, call that peak the Carl-Harmon anomaly

Another interesting thing has happened to Geocachers with very high find-counts.

In the earlyy days there weren't all that many caches so one had to wait around for new caches before going out on a hunt. Now with a very high find-count one must wait around for new caches just like in the beginning. History repeating itself?

If the high find-counters are finding 2000 caches a year in San Diego, they might just have to widen their search area! :D

:D:DGeesh......I guess I'll never hide another cache for fear of over-saturating San Diego!!! Guilty as charged/ jodi

Random silliness

How Do You Catch a Unique Rabbit? :D Unique Up On It.

How Do You Catch a Tame Rabbit? :D Tame Way, Unique Up On It.

How Do Crazy People Go Through The Forest? :D They Take The Psycho Path

What Do Eskimos Get From Sitting On The Ice Too Long? :D Polaroids

What Do You Call a Boomerang That Doesn't work? :D A Stick

What's The Difference Between Roast Beef And Pea Soup? :D Anyone Can Roast Beef. Can You Pea Soup?

Where Do You Find a Dog With No Legs? :D Right Where You Left Him.

Why Don't Blind People Like To Sky Dive? :D Because It Scares The Dog.

What Is The Difference Between a Harley And a Hoover? :D The Location Of The Dirt Bag.

How Are a Texas Tornado And a Tennessee Divorce The Same? :D Somebody's Gonna Lose A Trailer

A Dog's journal:

7 am - Oh boy! A walk! My favorite! Maybe a cache too.

8 am - Oh boy! Dog food! My favorite!

9 am - Oh boy! The kids! My favorite!

Noon - Oh boy! The yard! My favorite

2 pm - Oh boy! A car ride! My favorite! Maybe another cache.

3 pm - Oh boy! The kids! My favorite!

4 pm - Oh boy! Playing ball! My favorite!

6 pm - Oh boy! Welcome home Mom! My favorite!

7 pm - Oh boy! Welcome home Dad! My favorite!

8 pm - Oh boy! Dog food! My favorite!

9 pm - Oh boy! Tummy rubs on the couch! My favorite!

11 pm - Oh boy! Sleeping in my people's bed! My favorite!

A Cat's Diary:

Day 783 of my captivity.

My captors continued to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from clawing the furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another house plant. Today my attempt

to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded. Maybe I should try this at the top of the stair. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair. I must try this on their bed.

Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body in an attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little kitty cat I was. This is not working according to plan. There was some sort of gathering of their

accomplices. I was placed in solitary confinement throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the food. More important, I overheard that my confinement was due to my powers of inducing something called "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird, on the other hand, has got to be an informant. He speaks with them regularly, and I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his

current placement in the metal room, his safety is assured. But I can wait.

It's only a matter of time.

Random silliness

How Do You Catch a Unique Rabbit? :D Unique Up On It.

How Do You Catch a Tame Rabbit? :D Tame Way, Unique Up On It.

How Do Crazy People Go Through The Forest? :D They Take The Psycho Path

What Do Eskimos Get From Sitting On The Ice Too Long? :D Polaroids

What Do You Call a Boomerang That Doesn't work? :D A Stick

What's The Difference Between Roast Beef And Pea Soup? :D Anyone Can Roast Beef. Can You Pea Soup?

Where Do You Find a Dog With No Legs? :D Right Where You Left Him.

Why Don't Blind People Like To Sky Dive? :D Because It Scares The Dog.

What Is The Difference Between a Harley And a Hoover? :D The Location Of The Dirt Bag.

How Are a Texas Tornado And a Tennessee Divorce The Same? :D Somebody's Gonna Lose A Trailer

A Dog's journal:

7 am - Oh boy! A walk! My favorite! Maybe a cache too.

8 am - Oh boy! Dog food! My favorite!

9 am - Oh boy! The kids! My favorite!

Noon - Oh boy! The yard! My favorite

2 pm - Oh boy! A car ride! My favorite! Maybe another cache.

3 pm - Oh boy! The kids! My favorite!

4 pm - Oh boy! Playing ball! My favorite!

6 pm - Oh boy! Welcome home Mom! My favorite!

7 pm - Oh boy! Welcome home Dad! My favorite!

8 pm - Oh boy! Dog food! My favorite!

9 pm - Oh boy! Tummy rubs on the couch! My favorite!

11 pm - Oh boy! Sleeping in my people's bed! My favorite!

A Cat's Diary:

Day 783 of my captivity.

My captors continued to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from clawing the furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another house plant. Today my attempt

to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded. Maybe I should try this at the top of the stair. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair. I must try this on their bed.

Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body in an attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little kitty cat I was. This is not working according to plan. There was some sort of gathering of their

accomplices. I was placed in solitary confinement throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the food. More important, I overheard that my confinement was due to my powers of inducing something called "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird, on the other hand, has got to be an informant. He speaks with them regularly, and I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his

current placement in the metal room, his safety is assured. But I can wait.

It's only a matter of time.

Very funny! :DThanks Ginger! we needed that! Ruff ruff! .. Edited by TrailGators

Until you have been on the trail, like the one that starts at "And so the adventure begins . . . , "please don't complain about having a cache nearly every .1 of a mile. :D

If the rock formations along that trail were in Iowa, or Kansas, the area would have been turned into a National or State Park. I highly recommend the caches along that series to anyone who can walk that distance. It is not that difficult a hike . . . really, especially on a nice cool day like today. :D

And, if you are into numbers, you get lots of smilies while seeing some awesome country. :D

I have another little tidbit. On one of the other threads someone was asking where people fell in the history of their state. As we know California was one of the early adopter states. When I joined about 4.5 years ago there were only 2000 caches in the entire state. Now there are 2000 caches within 20 miles of my house! It's pretty amazing how fast it's grown. It has been an exponential growth curve. ;)

Until you have been on the trail, like the one that starts at "And so the adventure begins . . . , "please don't complain about having a cache nearly every .1 of a mile. :P

If the rock formations along that trail were in Iowa, or Kansas, the area would have been turned into a National or State Park. I highly recommend the caches along that series to anyone who can walk that distance. It is not that difficult a hike . . . really, especially on a nice cool day like today. :)

And, if you are into numbers, you get lots of smilies while seeing some awesome country. B)

I second this motion. The trails in this neck of the woods make 0.1 mile feel like a mile. The thing is that not all caches are equal in terms of effort and enjoyment.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Once I watched an episode of California's Gold and a biologist was stomping around on the boulder near the bee hive, and there was no real big reaction. Then he went up an breathed into the hive, which is what a bear would do, and the bees started going crazy and swarming. Personally, I thought HE was a bit crazy for doing that. At least I think these were normal bees, and not Africanized ones. So... if they start trying to kill you when you breath on the hive, they are probably Africanized. Let us know how that turns out. ;)

Parsa

Well, I think I was holding my breath the whole time! :)

The process was incredibly smooth! In fact, I asked my 11-year-old what he thought when I had finished...and he said, "I was hoping for some more action!" :P

Hive.jpg

Placing-comb.jpg

Frame-in-Hive-box.jpg

Transferring-Swarm.jpg

I'm glad to hear that you didn't opt for the five dollar solution. Great photos! B)

Hey, make that new beebox into a Geocache.

Once I watched an episode of California's Gold and a biologist was stomping around on the boulder near the bee hive, and there was no real big reaction. Then he went up an breathed into the hive, which is what a bear would do, and the bees started going crazy and swarming. Personally, I thought HE was a bit crazy for doing that. At least I think these were normal bees, and not Africanized ones. So... if they start trying to kill you when you breath on the hive, they are probably Africanized. Let us know how that turns out. :P

Parsa

Well, I think I was holding my breath the whole time! B)

The process was incredibly smooth! In fact, I asked my 11-year-old what he thought when I had finished...and he said, "I was hoping for some more action!" :)

Hive.jpg

Placing-comb.jpg

Frame-in-Hive-box.jpg

Transferring-Swarm.jpg

I'm glad to hear that you didn't opt for the five dollar solution. Great photos! B)

Hey, make that new beebox into a Geocache.

You could name it: "Bee Careful!" ;)

I have another little tidbit. On one of the other threads someone was asking where people fell in the history of their state. As we know California was one of the early adopter states. When I joined about 4.5 years ago there were only 2000 caches in the entire state. Now there are 2000 caches within 20 miles of my house! It's pretty amazing how fast it's grown. It has been an exponential growth curve. :P

What is already happening for me is that caches are popping up where I have already found caches before. In one case, I had found a cache where I used to have one hidden. I think the cache quality is the same as it was four years ago, it's just there's a lot more of them out there. I agree, no need for caches every .10 of a mile, every .20 is just fine! ;)

D!

Any interest in having a paperless caching clinic? ;)

It's been some time since the last one. B)

Lots of new cachers lately. :)

Who's gonna fly RocketMan in from CO??? :P

D!

Is this something to figure out how to use GSAK and cachemate and what-not effectively for us new people?

If so, I would have an interest in it, I've left behind or lost so many pens at caches B) !

Yep, also to include GPX Sonar, Custom Points of Interest (POI), and whatever else I can't think of right now.

D!

[

Then what was I doing caching up in LA and Orange counties in the early days :P;):)B)

Any interest in having a paperless caching clinic? :P

It's been some time since the last one. B)

Lots of new cachers lately. B)

Who's gonna fly RocketMan in from CO??? :P

D!

If so, I would have an interest in it, I've left behind or lost so many pens at caches :) !

Yep, also to include GPX Sonar, Custom Points of Interest (POI), and whatever else I can't think of right now.

D!

What is a macro? What is it for? How do you set them up? Let's see...what else...? ;):);)

It's been some time since the last one. :P

Who's gonna fly RocketMan in from CO??? B)

D!

If so, I would have an interest in it, I've left behind or lost so many pens at caches :) !

D!

What is a macro? What is it for? How do you set them up? Let's see...what else...? B);):)

If you look at my profile you can see what a particular macro can do in GSAK. :P

It's been some time since the last one. :P

Who's gonna fly RocketMan in from CO??? B)

D!

D!

What is a macro? What is it for? How do you set them up? Let's see...what else...? B);):)

If you look at my profile you can see what a particular macro can do in GSAK. :P

Wow, that's cool! Thanks for pointing it out!