The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

o Ignore list - If I don't like some lame urban micro (or a trample the environment cache, or a front yard cache or whatever) I put it on my ignore list. Half of them seem to get archived after a while anyway, and in the meantime, they don't keep showing up on my GSAK and GPS. Actually my list is only 25 long now that I removed the archived ones. Do people use this feature as much as I do?

At any given time, my Ignore List contains about 2 to 5 caches. There are three reasons that a cache could appear on my Ignore List:

1) There is very strong evidence that the cache is gone. This will be after an honest effort on my part to find it, and a long period of no finds and conversations with previous finders that indicate that, yea verily, the cache is AWOL. These leave my Ignore list one of three ways: Either someone finds it; the owner checks on it and confirms that it is there; or it gets archived. The last outcome is the most common. (I put these caches on my watchlist so that I see any logs that appear...)

2) The cache is not one that I will ever be able to do. An example of this ilk is "Yukon Diving". I have not the training or certification required to retrieve this cache safely and for various reasons, it is unlikely that I ever will.

3) The cache requires behaving in an illegal or unethical manner. Obviously, this is squishy ground, but for what it's worth, every cache that met this criteria has subsequently been archived for related reasons.

Sounds like I use the ignore feature more than others. I just don't like seeing the same caches come up again and again on my lists. Better to just ignore them mentally--maybe I'll get to that.

I haven't put any caches on the list for being behind no trepassing signs, yet. I sometimes put in the "unethical" category the ones that require me to do a lot of bushwacking across environmentally sensitive areas, but sometimes I'm just a slave to the arrow.

Rather than put a cache on my ignore list if I'm sure it is gone, I sometimes mark it as "Needs Archived". This triggers NOMEX to look at it and usually it gets disabled soon after that. It seems some owners don't pay attention to their logs, or are inactive, so the "Needs Archiving" attribute will either get the owner's attention or the administrator's attention. That'll get it off everyone's list. My "Needs Archived" count is up to 25 (look at it My account/My logs/Need archived).

Rather than put a cache on my ignore list if I'm sure it is gone, I sometimes mark it as "Needs Archived". This triggers NOMEX to look at it and usually it gets disabled soon after that. It seems some owners don't pay attention to their logs, or are inactive, so the "Needs Archiving" attribute will either get the owner's attention or the administrator's attention. That'll get it off everyone's list. My "Needs Archived" count is up to 25 (look at it My account/My logs/Need archived).

The "Needs Archived" log is much more effective than it used to be thanks to Nomex's efforts... It used to be that you could flag the same cache as "Needs Archived" two or three times over a period of 6-8 months and eventually someone would look at it. (Sure I could ignore it mentally, but on the other hand, I could have an additional active cache in my PQ instead! :( )

I'd like to make an announcement that is sure to please many and disappoint a few.

I have finally joined the Garmin crowd. Now I can be just like you. :)

Don't worry you Magellin Heads out there; I still have a couple of those too.

Ok, now that should get some discussion going. :):ph34r:

So, what'd you get?

Don't throw away the Magellans; they make good parking blocks :D

Yea, what did you get Jerry? :D

Well, first of all my father in law got it for me. He must like me or something.

He actually bought the wrong model by mistake. He meant to get the 60csx and got the 76csx instead. They're virtually the same software but the 76 is a little bigger and it’s supposed to float. Oh well, you never know when you may accidentally fall in a lake.

As for the Magellans, I still use one of them on my bike because that’s what I have the handle bar mount for.

I'd like to make an announcement that is sure to please many and disappoint a few.

I have finally joined the Garmin crowd. Now I can be just like you. :)

Don't worry you Magellen Heads out there; I still have a couple of those too. Ok, now that should get some discussion going. :):ph34r:

So, what'd you get?

Well, first of all my father in law got it for me. He must like me or something. He actually bought the wrong model by mistake. He meant to get the 60csx and got the 76csx instead. They're virtually the same software but the 76 is a little bigger and it’s supposed to float. Oh well, you never know when you may accidentally fall in a lake.

As for the Magellans, I still use one of them on my bike because that’s what I have the handle bar mount for.

Congratulations!

You'll enjoy that new Garmin 76Csx. There's just a couple of notable differences between the 76Csx and 60Csx, larger case and a bit more base memory in the 76Csx. Of course installing a 2-GByte memory card takes care of memory requirements either way.

Geocachers Baldy & Goldilocks bought a 76Csx about two months ago and have been very pleased with it. They brought it to me to check for firmware upgrade and to install detailed-maps onto the memory card.

Be sure to download the full user manual from the Garmin site and keep watch for periodic firmware upgrades using the Garmin Web Updater installation that you'll find on the Garmin website.

The bad news is that you'll want Garmin MapSource software now and its pricey compared to Magellan MapSend. Otherwise you'll be stuck with the crude base-map that's installed in the 76Csx unit and no road-navigation as well. Maybe you can sell the Magellan to cover the cost of MapSource. :D

By the way, if you want to float-check the unit just give $kimmer a call.

Edited by SD Rowdies

I have finally joined the Garmin crowd. Now I can be just like you. :D

Don't worry you Magellen Heads out there; I still have a couple of those too. Ok, now that should get some discussion going. :):)

So, what'd you get?

Well, first of all my father in law got it for me. He must like me or something. He actually bought the wrong model by mistake. He meant to get the 60csx and got the 76csx instead. They're virtually the same software but the 76 is a little bigger and it's supposed to float. Oh well, you never know when you may accidentally fall in a lake.

As for the Magellans, I still use one of them on my bike because that's what I have the handle bar mount for.

Congratulations!

You'll enjoy that new Garmin 76Csx. There's just a couple of notable differences between the 76Csx and 60Csx, larger case and a bit more base memory in the 76Csx. Of course installing a 2-GByte memory card takes care of memory requirements either way.

Geocachers Baldy & Goldilocks bought a 76Csx about two months ago and have been very pleased with it. They brought it to me to check for firmware upgrade and to install detailed-maps onto the memory card.

Be sure to download the full user manual from the Garmin site and keep watch for periodic firmware upgrades using the Garmin Web Updater installation that you'll find on the Garmin website.

The bad news is that you'll want Garmin MapSource software now and its pricey compared to Magellan MapSend. Otherwise you'll be stuck with the crude base-map that's installed in the 76Csx unit and no road-navigation as well. Maybe you can sell the Magellan to cover the cost of MapSource. :D

Very cool. I've already purchased the US Topo (did that on the first night after taking a look at that base map). REI has it on sale for 75 buckaroonies.

I did the webupdater just now so I'll have to wait and see what that does when I get to take it outside and try it out. The sad thing is, I went MTB caching with my Platinum and there must have been a bug inside me, waiting for the right moment to pounce, because I haven't felt good since. So I haven't even been able to really try this thing out. :ph34r:

Thanks for the pointer on the user manual. I saw that on the website and assumed it was the same thing that came with the unit.

I'm glad to hear Baldy & Goldilocks are happy with theirs. When I first saw it, I was a bit worried about the physical size of the GPS. But then I'm used to carrying around an Explorist 600 and that thing is tiny.

And the part about $kimmer; I'll have to ask her about it the next time I see her.

Don't worry you Magellen Heads out there; I still have a couple of those too. Ok, now that should get some discussion going. :):ph34r:

So, what'd you get?

Well, first of all my father in law got it for me. He must like me or something. He actually bought the wrong model by mistake. He meant to get the 60csx and got the 76csx instead. They're virtually the same software but the 76 is a little bigger and it's supposed to float. Oh well, you never know when you may accidentally fall in a lake.

As for the Magellans, I still use one of them on my bike because that's what I have the handle bar mount for.

Congratulations!

Very cool. I've already purchased the US Topo (did that on the first night after taking a look at that base map). REI has it on sale for 75 buckaroonies.

I did the webupdater just now so I'll have to wait and see what that does when I get to take it outside and try it out. The sad thing is, I went MTB caching with my Platinum and there must have been a bug inside me, waiting for the right moment to pounce, because I haven't felt good since. So I haven't even been able to really try this thing out. :)

Thanks for the pointer on the user manual. I saw that on the website and assumed it was the same thing that came with the unit.

I'm glad to hear Baldy & Goldilocks are happy with theirs. When I first saw it, I was a bit worried about the physical size of the GPS. But then I'm used to carrying around an Explorist 600 and that thing is tiny.

And the part about $kimmer; I'll have to ask her about it the next time I see her.

If the larger size and weight is a problem then do what Baldy does, he tricks Goldilocks into carrying the unit for him. That approach has a nice side effect in that Goldilocks walks ahead of Baldy on the trails, as I have often recommended for handling trail partners, so that he is protected from snakes and other dangers.

By the way, I was able to repair $kimmer's GPS receiver. Do ask her about "water resistant."

Edited by SD Rowdies

Don't worry you Magellen Heads out there; I still have a couple of those too. Ok, now that should get some discussion going. :ph34r::)

So, what'd you get?

Congratulations!

The bad news is that you'll want Garmin MapSource software now and its pricey compared to Magellan MapSend. Otherwise you'll be stuck with the crude base-map that's installed in the 76Csx unit and no road-navigation as well. Maybe you can sell the Magellan to cover the cost of MapSource. B)

I did the webupdater just now so I'll have to wait and see what that does when I get to take it outside and try it out. The sad thing is, I went MTB caching with my Platinum and there must have been a bug inside me, waiting for the right moment to pounce, because I haven't felt good since. So I haven't even been able to really try this thing out. :D

If the larger size and weight is a problem then do what Baldy does, he tricks Goldilocks into carrying the unit for him. That approach has a nice side effect in that Goldilocks walks ahead of Baldy on the trails, as I have often recommended for handling trail partners, so that he is protected from snakes and other dangers.

I've heard that if the person in front barks and howls like a dog, that it scares all the snakes away... :)

Don't worry you Magellen Heads out there; I still have a couple of those too. Ok, now that should get some discussion going. :ph34r::)

So, what'd you get?

Congratulations!

The bad news is that you'll want Garmin MapSource software now and its pricey compared to Magellan MapSend. Otherwise you'll be stuck with the crude base-map that's installed in the 76Csx unit and no road-navigation as well. Maybe you can sell the Magellan to cover the cost of MapSource. B)

I did the webupdater just now so I'll have to wait and see what that does when I get to take it outside and try it out. The sad thing is, I went MTB caching with my Platinum and there must have been a bug inside me, waiting for the right moment to pounce, because I haven't felt good since. So I haven't even been able to really try this thing out. :D

I've heard that if the person in front barks and howls like a dog, that it scares all the snakes away... :)

Would it work if they just gripe and complain a lot like the Geobabes?

Here's Baldy & Goldilocks.

4de1c9e1-f255-4156-9eed-8a6c523b3566.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

Going to be in San Diego May 17, 18, 19 for some work during the day and some Tequila at night - was wondering about any night caches close to downtown - seems like I am in the right place since the thread was started by Night Hunter - thanks

ACD Rocks!!!

Any cache can be done at night :blink: .

Forbidden Forest and Kryptonite come to mind. The Kiss of Midnight is down, but may be up when you arrive.

The first night cache I can remember is the Proctor Valley Monster Project; however, this one is about a 30-minute drive from downtown.

Keep an eye out on the Events thread; there are always groups going out that you may be able to tag along.

Who/what is ACD?

Any cache can be done at night :blink: .

Forbidden Forest and Kryptonite come to mind. The Kiss of Midnight is down, but may be up when you arrive.

The first night cache I can remember is the Proctor Valley Monster Project; however, this one is about a 30-minute drive from downtown.

Keep an eye out on the Events thread; there are always groups going out that you may be able to tag along.

Who/what is ACD?

This is who and what ACD are/is

ACD

Edited by El Santo

This isn't caching related...except for the fact that having to deal with it is taking up time that could be used for caching!

Does anyone know a good beekeeper?

I've got a backet-ball sized hive in my tool shed at home, and don't really want to kill them. I found one beekeeper that really wants them...he is trying to add 70 new hives this year. However, he wants $175 to come remove them!

(I have already removed the interior paneling and the hive is totally exposed.)

Anyway, I know there is a serious decline in bees, so I am hesitant to kill them. But, a $5 fogger will take care of them...and I can't justfiy the $175 charge.

Any ideas?

This isn't caching related...except for the fact that having to deal with it is taking up time that could be used for caching!

I've got a backet-ball sized hive in my tool shed at home, and don't really want to kill them. I found one beekeeper that really wants them...he is trying to add 70 new hives this year. However, he wants $175 to come remove them!

Anyway, I know there is a serious decline in bees, so I am hesitant to kill them. But, a $5 fogger will take care of them...and I can't justfiy the $175 charge.

Any ideas?

If this is an accurate representation of your two options, then maybe the $175 will get you a better result than the $5. Seems like a lot of work even for $175. Do you know if that is what he would do?

Any ideas?

If this is an accurate representation of your two options, then maybe the $175 will get you a better result than the $5. Seems like a lot of work even for $175. Do you know if that is what he would do?

To an extent, that is what he would do. The bees are in an outdoor shed that I built. I have already removed the interior panel, and the entire hive is exposed. The hole where they are entering is easily sealed, and I will take care of that.

Since I can see the entire hive, I could easily spray the bees and remove all traces of the hive and the dead bees without any difficutly.

He said the removal is very straightforward at this point, since he can reach it without a ladder, and he doesn't have to do any work to get to it. He said for $50 I could buy a ready made hive, and he gave me detailed instructions on how to remove the combs and transfer them to the box! :huh: Not this cacher! :P

The larger beekeeping businesses buy their queens from breeders, and don't want a rogue colony. There is a lady that can come down from Santa Ana on Friday, and she doesn't charge for the service. She does it just to save the bees, but told me she will accept a "Love offering." (I'm waiting to hear back from Harmon on that one!) :blink:

Another cacher knows a local keeper, and he is going to see if he can borrow his gear, or get him to come up...

Anyway, in case anyone is interested, I'll let you know what happens. I'll take some pics tomorrow morning and post them...along with our other nature project. We found a day-old sparrow hatchling and spent over an hour looking for a nest with no luck. I went to the pet store and got some baby bird food...and it's made it 3 days so far!

There is a lady that can come down from Santa Ana on Friday, and she doesn't charge for the service. She does it just to save the bees, but told me she will accept a "Love offering." (I'm waiting to hear back from Harmon on that one!) :blink:

We found a day-old sparrow hatchling and spent over an hour looking for a nest with no luck. I went to the pet store and got some baby bird food...and it's made it 3 days so far!

Birds....bees....love offering....It does sound like you need Harmon! :P:huh:
To an extent, that is what he would do. The bees are in an outdoor shed that I built. I have already removed the interior panel, and the entire hive is exposed. The hole where they are entering is easily sealed, and I will take care of that.

Since I can see the entire hive, I could easily spray the bees and remove all traces of the hive and the dead bees without any difficutly.

He said the removal is very straightforward at this point, since he can reach it without a ladder, and he doesn't have to do any work to get to it. He said for $50 I could buy a ready made hive, and he gave me detailed instructions on how to remove the combs and transfer them to the box! :huh: Not this cacher! :P

The larger beekeeping businesses buy their queens from breeders, and don't want a rogue colony. There is a lady that can come down from Santa Ana on Friday, and she doesn't charge for the service. She does it just to save the bees, but told me she will accept a "Love offering." (I'm waiting to hear back from Harmon on that one!) :blink:

Another cacher knows a local keeper, and he is going to see if he can borrow his gear, or get him to come up...

Anyway, in case anyone is interested, I'll let you know what happens. I'll take some pics tomorrow morning and post them...along with our other nature project. We found a day-old sparrow hatchling and spent over an hour looking for a nest with no luck. I went to the pet store and got some baby bird food...and it's made it 3 days so far!

Wow - we found a robin's egg with no nest in sight - put it under a lamp for two weeks and it didn't hatch (luckily!! :D )
There is a lady that can come down from Santa Ana on Friday, and she doesn't charge for the service. She does it just to save the bees, but told me she will accept a "Love offering." (I'm waiting to hear back from Harmon on that one!) :rolleyes:

We found a day-old sparrow hatchling and spent over an hour looking for a nest with no luck. I went to the pet store and got some baby bird food...and it's made it 3 days so far!

Birds....bees....love offering....It does sound like you need Harmon! B):huh:

Yep, for sure I've kept bees. The trick is to spot the queen's chamber, carve it out, and drop it into a bee-box or even into a large carton. Leave the box or carton nearby for a day so that the hive bees can swarm to the new bee-box or carton with the queen. Once in the new box or carton then call the bee keeper so he can come pick up the swarm. Once he loads the bees onto his truck tell him that he's a real jerk.

The thing is that the bees are really going to get pissed off at you when you mess with the queen so you'll need a smoker and bee-keeper suite. Oddly enough when a hive swarms naturally you can gather them up, handle them, and drop them into a box without making them aggressive. Of course that's when the queen splits the colony with a new queen. Try to talk the queen into doing that.

Here's another idea that I would love to see tried. One finding about the ongoing loss of bee colonies is that the cause is cell-tower signals. According to one finding the cell-signals cause bees to loose their navigational abilities and so they wander off and die individually. I've read that experimenters have placed live cell phones beside a nest that decimated the colony. So early one morning become and experimenter and place a live cell phone near your colony and see what happens. Me, I'm sceptical about this approach but I would love to see an inexperienced person try the idea. Take photos perhaps but better to shoot a video so's you can appear on one of those dumb-guy TV shows.

A few important things to know ... don't swat at bees, don't have cornsilk hair, and rake stingers away with thumbnail rather than trying to pluck them out with fingertips. O yeah, if you are blocking entry holes use steel wool or aluminum wool as a stuffing agent. Keep in mind that bees are your friends.

There is indeed a worldwide loss of bee colonies. That's a very serious matter. Oddly enough Albert Einstein once remarked that humans would last only four months if bees were lost worldwide. Starvation of course, from Global Swarming?

Let us know when your video clip will appear on a television show.

You're welcome,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Yep, for sure I've kept bees. The trick is to spot the queen's chamber, carve it out, and drop it into a bee-box or even into a large carton. Leave the box or carton nearby for a day so that the hive bees can swarm to the new bee-box or carton with the queen. Once in the new box or carton then call the bee keeper so he can come pick up the swarm. Once he loads the bees onto his truck tell him that he's a real jerk.

You've given me an idea...maybe, the beekeeper will give me a hive, and lend me a suit...I'd actually be willing to have a go at transferring the hive. I would of course video it for your enjoyment!...Seriously!

Here's another idea that I would love to see tried. One finding about the ongoing loss of bee colonies is that the cause is cell-tower signals. According to one finding the cell-signals cause bees to loose their navigational abilities and so they wander off and die individually. I've read that experimenters have placed live cell phones beside a nest that decimated the colony. So early one morning become and experimenter and place a live cell phone near your colony and see what happens. Me, I'm sceptical about this approach but I would love to see an inexperienced person try the idea. Take photos perhaps but better to shoot a video so's you can appear on one of those dumb-guy TV shows.

I had seen the same report. It would be interesting to see what would happen...but if I was successful, then I would still be destroying the colony. It would be fairly easy to do though. The bees have been very docile. The only time they got aggressive with me was last night...after the 4th or 5th time the flash went off on the camera! :rolleyes:

I've run across a simular problem when I noticed buzzing in my head... After I realized it was coming from the atic I devised a plan...I called Kenny....Kenny will do anything. THiS IS A TRUE STPRY>Without hesitation Kenny put on my sons fireproof racing suit, helmet and gloves, sealed all openings with duct tape and off to the attic he went with a large green trash bag. Since the hive/swarm was hanging from the rafters his plan was to remove the hive and place it into the bag, seal up the bag and releaase the bees once out of the neighborhood....So goes his plan. When he rached the portion of the attic where the swarm was located, I asked Kenny..."how big is it? He replied " the size of two very large turkeys!!" As you can imagine the result of Kenny's adventure was nothing more than "how not to remove a hive" Once Kenny recovered from his injuries,he joined the military, deployed to Iraq and said the colonies there were much more friendly. Moral of my story???....PAY THE $175 :)

You've given me an idea...maybe, the beekeeper will give me a hive, and lend me a suit...I'd actually be willing to have a go at transferring the hive. I would of course video it for your enjoyment!...Seriously!

I had seen the same report. It would be interesting to see what would happen...but if I was successful, then I would still be destroying the colony. It would be fairly easy to do though. The bees have been very docile. The only time they got aggressive with me was last night...after the 4th or 5th time the flash went off on the camera! :o

I've run across a simular problem when I noticed buzzing in my head... After I realized it was coming from the atic I devised a plan...I called Kenny....Kenny will do anything. THiS IS A TRUE STPRY>Without hesitation Kenny put on my sons fireproof racing suit, helmet and gloves, sealed all openings with duct tape and off to the attic he went with a large green trash bag. Since the hive/swarm was hanging from the rafters his plan was to remove the hive and place it into the bag, seal up the bag and releaase the bees once out of the neighborhood....So goes his plan. When he rached the portion of the attic where the swarm was located, I asked Kenny..."how big is it? He replied " the size of two very large turkeys!!" As you can imagine the result of Kenny's adventure was nothing more than "how not to remove a hive" Once Kenny recovered from his injuries,he joined the military, deployed to Iraq and said the colonies there were much more friendly. Moral of my story???....PAY THE $175 :)

I had seen the same report. It would be interesting to see what would happen...but if I was successful, then I would still be destroying the colony. It would be fairly easy to do though. The bees have been very docile. The only time they got aggressive with me was last night...after the 4th or 5th time the flash went off on the camera! :o

What sort of adverts are on the racing suit and helmet? Beeth are particular about thpontherth.

Try or at leatht read "Jutht Whithtle Otay?" thome day ... lotth to learn about beeth. Jutht athk Thplathhette the bee magnet, cornthilk hair y' thee.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Going to be in San Diego May 17, 18, 19 for some work during the day and some Tequila at night - was wondering about any night caches close to downtown - seems like I am in the right place since the thread was started by Night Hunter - thanks

ACD Rocks!!!

Thanks for the couple of caches to try- appreciate the help

Now this is cool - It's not out yet, but this would be great - One for GEO-K9-Betsy! and one for jaredloser :o:o:) .

astro.jpg

astro-1.jpg

astro-2.jpg

astro-3.jpg

The Garmin Astro 220 Handheld GPS Dog Tracking Device lets hunters and sportsmen spend their time looking for game, rather than looking for their dog. This unique dog tracker pinpoints your dog's position and shows you exactly where he is, even when you can't see or hear him.

The Astro 220 has a bright, color-screen display, and works with a wireless transmitter (not included), called the DC 20. Simple and easy to use, you just take the Astro outdoors and turn on both units to acquire a GPS satellite signal, then attach the DC 20 to your dog, either via the included neoprene harness or by threading it onto an existing 1-inch e-collar, and you're ready to go.

The DC 20 transmits your dog's position to the 220 every five seconds, showing current location as well as where he's been on the Map page. The Dog Tracker page shows you a compass that points to your dog's location, and lets you see your dog's current status, such as running, sitting, on point or treeing quarry. The Garmin Astro can even sound an alarm to let you know instantly when your dog goes on point.

The Astro 220's high-sensitivity GPS receiver can track up to 10 dogs at a time, up to five miles away in open territory. The Astro features a Covey Counter, which lets you place a special waypoint that tells you the exact location, time of day and elevation where you found your prey, as well as the number of birds flushed and taken from that location. The Astro also lets you save other important waypoints, such as Truck and Lodge, and choose special icons to represent food plots, tree stands and other hunting-related items.

The full-featured Astro handheld has all the same functions as Garmin's top-line handheld outdoor devices, including a barometric altimeter, a microSD card slot for maps, celestial information and an area calculator, as well as optional detailed city street maps, over 6 million points of interest, and exact turn-by-turn directions. This unit has an extremely rugged construction, with an IPX7 waterproof exterior that can withstand full immersion in water up to 1-meter deep for up to 30 minutes, and a revolutionary 3-axis compass that works no matter how the handheld is oriented.

What's in the Box

Garmin Astro 220 handheld with VHF antenna, a carrying case, a trip and waypoint manager CD, a USB cable, a wrist strap, a belt clip, an owner's manual and a quick reference guide.

Now this is cool - It's not out yet, but this would be great - One for GEO-K9-Betsy! and one for jaredloser :o:o:) .

astro.jpg

astro-1.jpg

astro-2.jpg

astro-3.jpg

The Garmin Astro 220 Handheld GPS Dog Tracking Device lets hunters and sportsmen spend their time looking for game, rather than looking for their dog. This unique dog tracker pinpoints your dog's position and shows you exactly where he is, even when you can't see or hear him.

The Astro 220 has a bright, color-screen display, and works with a wireless transmitter (not included), called the DC 20. Simple and easy to use, you just take the Astro outdoors and turn on both units to acquire a GPS satellite signal, then attach the DC 20 to your dog, either via the included neoprene harness or by threading it onto an existing 1-inch e-collar, and you're ready to go.

The DC 20 transmits your dog's position to the 220 every five seconds, showing current location as well as where he's been on the Map page. The Dog Tracker page shows you a compass that points to your dog's location, and lets you see your dog's current status, such as running, sitting, on point or treeing quarry. The Garmin Astro can even sound an alarm to let you know instantly when your dog goes on point.

The Astro 220's high-sensitivity GPS receiver can track up to 10 dogs at a time, up to five miles away in open territory. The Astro features a Covey Counter, which lets you place a special waypoint that tells you the exact location, time of day and elevation where you found your prey, as well as the number of birds flushed and taken from that location. The Astro also lets you save other important waypoints, such as Truck and Lodge, and choose special icons to represent food plots, tree stands and other hunting-related items.

The full-featured Astro handheld has all the same functions as Garmin's top-line handheld outdoor devices, including a barometric altimeter, a microSD card slot for maps, celestial information and an area calculator, as well as optional detailed city street maps, over 6 million points of interest, and exact turn-by-turn directions. This unit has an extremely rugged construction, with an IPX7 waterproof exterior that can withstand full immersion in water up to 1-meter deep for up to 30 minutes, and a revolutionary 3-axis compass that works no matter how the handheld is oriented.

What's in the Box

Garmin Astro 220 handheld with VHF antenna, a carrying case, a trip and waypoint manager CD, a USB cable, a wrist strap, a belt clip, an owner's manual and a quick reference guide.

Dawgs heck, let's strap one on Gecko Dad.

That would have been great for TT, back in the day, to figure out where he hid all those dang puzzle caches...

That gizmo still might be of use for FM on or about Memorial day weekend as I'm tentatively planning on checking/maintaining/replacing all my SD caches and maybe....just maybe if you're all nice...dropping a couple more TT/Cow Spot specials on you.

(Frankly...you all have had it too easy for the last year and a half.)

:anitongue:

--TT--

I've run across a simular problem when I noticed buzzing in my head... After I realized it was coming from the atic I devised a plan...I called Kenny....Kenny will do anything. THiS IS A TRUE STPRY>Without hesitation Kenny put on my sons fireproof racing suit, helmet and gloves, sealed all openings with duct tape and off to the attic he went with a large green trash bag. Since the hive/swarm was hanging from the rafters his plan was to remove the hive and place it into the bag, seal up the bag and releaase the bees once out of the neighborhood....So goes his plan. When he rached the portion of the attic where the swarm was located, I asked Kenny..."how big is it? He replied " the size of two very large turkeys!!" As you can imagine the result of Kenny's adventure was nothing more than "how not to remove a hive" Once Kenny recovered from his injuries,he joined the military, deployed to Iraq and said the colonies there were much more friendly. Moral of my story???....PAY THE $175 :laughing:

I'll bet that $5 insect bomb is looking better and better :anitongue:

I had seen the same report. It would be interesting to see what would happen...but if I was successful, then I would still be destroying the colony. It would be fairly easy to do though. The bees have been very docile. The only time they got aggressive with me was last night...after the 4th or 5th time the flash went off on the camera! :anitongue:

If you are going to mess with them, you should first make sure that they are not Africanized bees. You can tell if you look very closely, as Africanized bees are a bit smaller that the common European Honey Bee. It also helps if you turn on some loud music, especially with heavy bass drumming. I am told that Africanized bees are particularly partial to this type of noise. You can also try banging on the wall under the hive with your fist, in time to the music, of course.

If you do have Africanized bees, they will soon tell you, by their subtile reaction to the music. At lease--this is what my research tells me. Please let me know if you decide to try this, and by all means, please video tape it for us.

I had seen the same report. It would be interesting to see what would happen...but if I was successful, then I would still be destroying the colony. It would be fairly easy to do though. The bees have been very docile. The only time they got aggressive with me was last night...after the 4th or 5th time the flash went off on the camera! :anitongue:

If you are going to mess with them, you should first make sure that they are not Africanized bees. You can tell if you look very closely, as Africanized bees are a bit smaller that the common European Honey Bee. It also helps if you turn on some loud music, especially with heavy bass drumming. I am told that Africanized bees are particularly partial to this type of noise. You can also try banging on the wall under the hive with your fist, in time to the music, of course.

If you do have Africanized bees, they will soon tell you, by their subtile reaction to the music. At lease--this is what my research tells me. Please let me know if you decide to try this, and by all means, please video tape it for us.

If you can run your lawnmower in the attic, too, that would be good...

That would have been great for TT, back in the day, to figure out where he hid all those dang puzzle caches...

That gizmo still might be of use for FM on or about Memorial day weekend as I'm tentatively planning on checking/maintaining/replacing all my SD caches and maybe....just maybe if you're all nice...dropping a couple more TT/Cow Spot specials on you.

--TT--

I think you owe t-shirts to me and Duncan! (anyone else?) before you starting dropping more bombs on San Diego... :laughing:

If you can run your lawnmower in the attic, too, that would be good...

zse.gifzbeehive3.gif Pictures, make sure you take pictures bm.gif Lots of pictures. 70564.gif

The Dog Tracker page shows you a compass that points to your dog's location, and lets you see your dog's current status, such as running, sitting, on point or treeing quarry.

Does it include all dog statuses (e.g. Watering trees/hydrants; eating garbage; "interacting" with another dog; etc.)?

The DC 20 transmits your dog's position to the 220 every five seconds, showing current location as well as where he's been on the Map page.

Ah hah! So it does track the "tree watering" thing...

The Astro also lets you save other important waypoints, such as Truck and Lodge, and choose special icons to represent food plots, tree stands and other hunting-related items.

Does it have a beer icon?

I've run across a simular problem when I noticed buzzing in my head... After I realized it was coming from the atic I devised a plan...I called Kenny....Kenny will do anything. THiS IS A TRUE STPRY>Without hesitation Kenny put on my sons fireproof racing suit, helmet and gloves, sealed all openings with duct tape and off to the attic he went with a large green trash bag. Since the hive/swarm was hanging from the rafters his plan was to remove the hive and place it into the bag, seal up the bag and releaase the bees once out of the neighborhood....So goes his plan. When he rached the portion of the attic where the swarm was located, I asked Kenny..."how big is it? He replied " the size of two very large turkeys!!" As you can imagine the result of Kenny's adventure was nothing more than "how not to remove a hive" Once Kenny recovered from his injuries,he joined the military, deployed to Iraq and said the colonies there were much more friendly. Moral of my story???....PAY THE $175 :laughing:

I'll bet that $5 insect bomb is looking better and better :anitongue:

For those of you, like my friend Snake here, that know me...you will recognize the flawed reasoning I have used to make a decision about my bee problem. (The rest of you will just continue to laugh at me.)

Price to have the beekeeper remove my bee hive- $175.00

Price to buy a full bee suit with helmet- $110.00

Price for a ready-made hive box- $56.00

Price for a smoker- $39.00

Having Snake video tape me removing my own beehive- Priceless! :laughing:

Year and a half? I've only had 35 days, 2 hours, and 23 minutes of freedom... :laughing:

It's much too soon for "it" to start again... :laughing:

("it" being the evil laughter I keep hearing...)

I think you owe t-shirts to me and Duncan! (anyone else?) before you starting dropping more bombs on San Diego... :laughing:

Is there a "I found all of TT's evil caches and all I got was this lousy T-shirt" t-shirt?

(Or would that be a TT-shirt? :anitongue: )

There is...or was...or will be. Due to recent upheval in life I no longer possess the graphics files that I used. But I'm working on retrieval as we speak.

Taking sizing requests. Duncan? XL? Tom? XXXL? :anitongue:

And as I recall, only FM and Duncan! can claim to have found all my SD puzzles, maybe John&Jess as well.

--TT--

There is...or was...or will be. Due to recent upheval in life I no longer possess the graphics files that I used. But I'm working on retrieval as we speak.

And as I recall, only FM and Duncan! can claim to have found all my SD puzzles, maybe John&Jess as well.

I've found all but "Geocaching Geometry (Euclid's Revenge)" and "Serious Black" They were both archived before I started caching...

According to the logs, Duncan! has not found "Serious Black" either...which leaves FlagMan as the only one to find them all...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

--TT--

:laughing::laughing: I'm sorry TT. We have a really tough admin here in the San Diego area. There is no way he will allow a puzzle cache to be placed by an "out-of-towner"..no matter how loved this person is by the locals ("loved" used loosely). You will have to have a sponsor and someone to look after your puzzle. I graciously voulnteer. :laughing: This does mean I will have to know where the cache is...sorry...it's just the rules we have to live by! r/ your friend jodilynn

:anitongue::laughing: I'm sorry TT. We have a really tough admin here in the San Diego area. There is no way he will allow a puzzle cache to be placed by an "out-of-towner"..no matter how loved this person is by the locals ("loved" used loosely). You will have to have a sponsor and someone to look after your puzzle. I graciously voulnteer. :laughing: This does mean I will have to know where the cache is...sorry...it's just the rules we have to live by! r/ your friend jodilynn

OMG Jodi! Can you be any more shameless in your sucking up?

TT, would you really want someone volunteering to take care of your cache, when she spells it like that?

It is a sacrifice, I know, but one I am willing to make. I'll do it for you. :laughing:

I've found all but "Geocaching Geometry (Euclid's Revenge)" and "Serious Black" They were both archived before I started caching...

According to the logs, Duncan! has not found "Serious Black" either...which leaves FlagMan as the only one to find them all...

Guilty as charged, never got to look for that one...

D!

;):laughing: I'm sorry TT. We have a really tough admin here in the San Diego area. There is no way he will allow a puzzle cache to be placed by an "out-of-towner"..no matter how loved this person is by the locals ("loved" used loosely). You will have to have a sponsor and someone to look after your puzzle. I graciously voulnteer. :anitongue: This does mean I will have to know where the cache is...sorry...it's just the rules we have to live by! r/ your friend jodilynn

OMG Jodi! Can you be any more shameless in your sucking up?

TT, would you really want someone volunteering to take care of your cache, when she spells it like that?

It is a sacrifice, I know, but one I am willing to make. I'll do it for you. :laughing:

:laughing: Nice try Snake, but I was first. ( That would be FTATT....first to ask TT) :laughing:

Edited by jahoadi and john

:laughing:

--TT--

It has been easy on them.. :laughing: I give in on my own puzzles.. but I am a push over. :anitongue:

Any ideas?

A few years ago, one of my customers had the same problem. She called around quite a few places and finally found someone that would take the bees without charge. So, either pay up or keep dialing! :laughing:

It's really something that you'd be giving them something that they need to make their living and THEY want to charge YOU! ;):laughing::anitongue::laughing:

I appreciate all the obsequiousness. I really do. :anitongue:

Let me finish the designs and get the cachepages ready. Do my final scouting, and then (if needed) I will contact my usual cadre of cache adopters if Admin insists on a Local maintainer.

I've just noticed a rash of logs on my old puzzles of ...."well...I got a hint from so-and so" or "Oh...i just tagged along with so-and-so". "So and so did the mental work and I paid for gas...."

THere used to be a time when the folks once they got the answers would clam up faster than my prom date -- :laughing::laughing: uhh....when other's would come asking for hints. (Team Taskmaster where are you???!?!?). There was a pride in seeing others struggle through it. That and the schadenfreude of course.

You earned that smiley, dag-nabbit!

</rant>

Oooh. Gotta go. Second half of the Suns game is on.

Anywho....I appreciate all the brown-nosin....err....help from all you all out there. I'll be in touch.

--TT--