The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Pat said: :D Someone should put together a bookmark list of all the beer caches. I know there's that one in San Marcos in front of the British Pub. Last time I was there the cache wasn't, so I went inside and had a pint of Guiness to celebrate my DNF! :P

John says: Yep, I remember that night, sitting next to you in the Pub and having a beer too! :D

Jodi says: :D I'll go put the garage door remote in our "backyard cache" so the next finder can have some of John's cold beer. (He doesn't need it anyways in Nevada). And no..it's not MGD..he's got VB in the garage!!!

John says: I'm coming home this weekend to lock the frig.... :D

Dave says: Way tooooo much info... :ph34r:

I don't want to know if some old NAVY guy has VD or where he got it!!

:D:D:o;)

John says: You sailor... Victoria Bitter (VB) Not Venere..... :lol:No beer for you :laughing:

Hey...You owe me...I am the one who provoked you into good beer...and saved your sorry Squid! butt from the piss you were drinking! :D

Need comments -- After all of the comments about questionable caches recently, here is your chance.

After the CITO on Sunday, a small group (Jodi, Duckit, fisnjack, Thunder-4, jaredloser and me), went out to Whale Poop Isle.

Whale Poop Isle

During our search a group came over from the Youth Aquatic Center and told us the rangers don't want anyone on the Island, it's a nesting area for some bird. We found two clutches with eggs and since we only saw ducks, assumed they were duck eggs. We did what all cachers do and continued the search.

While returning the equipment from the CITO, I talked with the ranger staff at the center. This is what I was told. The island is a nesting site for the California Least Tern, a U.S. federally listed endangered subspecies. Anyone seen on the island is asked to leave by the park rangers, lifeguards, and harbor police. They tell the kids at the camp if they are seen on the island, "they'll shoot them out of their shoes".

While I didn't specifically mention geocaching, it was evident that they don't want anyone on the Island. They are currently removing the ice plant, which is not native to the area (Tks-Duncan!) to provide a more suitable habitat.

Since the Least Tern is a small bird, the eggs are small and easily crushed by walking on them. I believe the eggs we saw were ducks eggs, but we could have easily crushed any other clutches in the ice plant. They are also in the process of placing signs, but to the number of agencies involved, it's a slow process, so they are doing what they can by asking people to get off.

While it would be easy to just archive the cache, it's been around since 9/9/2001 and does have history. Before the owner (Iron Chef, lives out of the area and has been inactive since 10/06) and a reviewer are notified, does anyone have comments/ideas.

Here are some possible options --

1) - Just archive it, it's its moved, it will never be the same.

2) - Move it to Fiesta Island

3) - Move it to the main land

4) - Do nothing, cachers should use their own judgement.

5) - Why not try .............

Wrong account, that was my original account-- Idiot! :lol::)

Need comments -- After all of the comments about questionable caches recently, here is your chance.

After the CITO on Sunday, a small group (Jodi, Duckit, fisnjack, Thunder-4, jaredloser and me), went out to Whale Poop Isle.

Whale Poop Isle

During our search a group came over from the Youth Aquatic Center and told us the rangers don't want anyone on the Island, it's a nesting area for some bird. We found two clutches with eggs and since we only saw ducks, assumed they were duck eggs. We did what all cachers do and continued the search.

While returning the equipment from the CITO, I talked with the ranger staff at the center. This is what I was told. The island is a nesting site for the California Least Tern, a U.S. federally listed endangered subspecies. Anyone seen on the island is asked to leave by the park rangers, lifeguards, and harbor police. They tell the kids at the camp if they are seen on the island, "they'll shoot them out of their shoes".

While I didn't specifically mention geocaching, it was evident that they don't want anyone on the Island. They are currently removing the ice plant, which is not native to the area (Tks-Duncan!) to provide a more suitable habitat.

Since the Least Tern is a small bird, the eggs are small and easily crushed by walking on them. I believe the eggs we saw were ducks eggs, but we could have easily crushed any other clutches in the ice plant. They are also in the process of placing signs, but to the number of agencies involved, it's a slow process, so they are doing what they can by asking people to get off.

While it would be easy to just archive the cache, it's been around since 9/9/2001 and does have history. Before the owner (Iron Chef, lives out of the area and has been inactive since 10/06) and a reviewer are notified, does anyone have comments/ideas.

Wrong account, that was my original account-- Idiot! :):D

Whale Poop Isle

It may be the unpopular choice, but I say just archive it... no cache is an island... I mean, no cache is meant to last forever. It was a good run, time to say goodbye.

Oh, don't get me started on ICEPLANT!! Makes me crazy!! :lol:

D!

GoBolts! said: Hey...You owe me...I am the one who provoked you into good beer...and saved your sorry Squid! butt from the piss you were drinking! :lol:

John says: Whoa big fella, I'm no sorry squid... I'm a happy squid! Ok, Maybe just one beer for you! :)

Thanks John...this "Young Squid" looks forward to having one with the "Old Squid".

thanks for serving!

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

DO NOT TALK ABOUT ICE PLANT!!!!

I HAVE TO RIDE WITH HIM EVERY FRIDAY......NO NO NO...

PLEASE...NO ICE PLANT

:D:):D

NO MORE ICEPLANT, IF YOU ANSWER THE SURVEY! Jared missed your nuts at the campout, he saw the TB listed and got excited. :lol::):grin:

Has anybody ever hit this button?? :)

p_report.gif

What happens, exactly??

D!

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

PLEASE...NO ICE PLANT

:D:):D

NO MORE ICEPLANT, IF YOU ANSWER THE SURVEY! Jared missed your nuts at the campout, he saw the TB listed and got excited. :lol::):grin:

Has anybody ever hit this button?? :)

p_report.gif

What happens, exactly??

D!

I keep clicking on the button, but nothing happens? Did you forget to add the link?

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

PLEASE...NO ICE PLANT

:D:):)

NO MORE ICEPLANT, IF YOU ANSWER THE SURVEY! Jared missed your nuts at the campout, he saw the TB listed and got excited. :lol::D:lol:

Has anybody ever hit this button?? :grin:

p_report.gif

What happens, exactly??

D!

I keep clicking on the button, but nothing happens? Did you forget to add the link?

:)

Whale Poop Isle

I was there today, did a quick swim over. It was quiet and I didn't hear any "crunching" under foot. I also wasn't shot at either. If it's a "sensitive habitat" maybe a reviewer could turn it into a virtual cache requiring photographic evidence of the nesting bird?

...Before ... a reviewer are notified, does anyone have comments/ideas...

Probably too late for that...

If a man-made island can become off-limits for our species because of inhabitation by this other species, no telling what other man-made property will be next... :D

Anyway, can't fight city hall on this one, so I vote to archive it.

If a man-made island can become off-limits for our species because of inhabitation by this other species, no telling what other man-made property will be next... :D

Thought that statement would be an attention grabber. Voting is now closed, here are the results. Thanks to all who voted.

Archive -- 321 votes

Move to Fiesta Island - 103 votes

Move it to the main land - 34 votes

Do nothing, cachers should use their own judgement. --- 1 vote (Chuy!) :)

Why not try ... 7 responses -- unable to publish due to Duncan!'s censorship reporting. :):anicute::D:)

If a man-made island can become off-limits for our species because of inhabitation by this other species, no telling what other man-made property will be next... :o

Thought that statement would be an attention grabber. Voting is now closed, here are the results. Thanks to all who voted.

Archive -- 321 votes

Do nothing, cachers should use their own judgement. --- 1 vote (Chuy!) :anicute:

Why not try ... 7 responses -- unable to publish due to Duncan!'s censorship reporting. :):):anicute::lol:

Just got back to town ... make that 322 for archiving. Although I've also tried to preserve historic caches (Laura's Memorial), I don't think any one single cache is worth the bad rep we'd get from people assuming we're out there crushing baby birds -- especially endangered baby birds. Bad PR for GC. GoBolts! may not like iceplant, but don't even get me started on environmental compliance B)

Edited by M2

Archive -- 321 votes

Do nothing, cachers should use their own judgement. --- 1 vote (Chuy!) B)

Why not try ... 7 responses -- unable to publish due to Duncan!'s censorship reporting. :D:):D:D

Just got back to town ... make that 322 for archiving. Although I've also tried to preserve historic caches (Laura's Memorial), I don't think any one single cache is worth the bad rep we'd get from people assuming we're out there crushing baby birds -- especially endangered baby birds. Bad PR for GC. GoBolts! may not like iceplant, but don't even get me started on environmental compliance :D

Once again Dave you are not living up to the "!" ... it is Duncan! of "Team "!"" that has a "thing" about IP.

Dave -- That was M2 that stated "GoBolts! may not like ice plant, but don't even get me started on environmental compliance " --

Earlier you commented about no more ice plant, since you ride with Duncan! of team "!" on Fridays and don't want to hear about it. My return comment was - you didn't vote on the subject, and if you don't vote I would keep talking about ice plant. Implying that I would keep talking about IP to Duncan! of team "!", and you would hear about it on Fridays. I also added a comment that Jared missed your TB at the Ocotillo camp out. Duncan! of team "!", responded with the Report button post (shown below).

On the voting results post - My comment was towards Duncan! of team "!" comment of censorship, and that's why I couldn't list the ideas that were suggested for the last voting option.

I'm sorry that I'm not living up the the standards of team "!" -- With your love, understanding and compassion of teaching me the ways of team "!", I will only begin to live up to the standards of team "!".

I can only ask for your forgiveness for disgracing the great name of team "!".

In front of everyone, I give you my vow that I will be a better team member of "!", and will no longer bring same and disgrace to team "!". I want you to know that I still care for you deeply, and whenever I see you it gives me joy and warm feelings all over. B):D:D:DB)

Sincerely,

SuperDave!

Living in shame for team "!" B):D

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

PLEASE...NO ICE PLANT

:D:D:D

NO MORE ICEPLANT, IF YOU ANSWER THE SURVEY! Jared missed your nuts at the campout, he saw the TB listed and got excited. :)B)B)

Has anybody ever hit this button?? :D

p_report.gif

What happens, exactly??

D!

Dave -- That was M2 that stated "GoBolts! may not like ice plant, but don't even get me started on environmental compliance " --

Earlier you commented about no more ice plant, since you ride with Duncan! of team "!" on Fridays and don't want to hear about it. My return comment was - you didn't vote on the subject, and if you don't vote I would keep talking about ice plant. Implying that I would keep talking about IP to Duncan! of team "!", and you would hear about it on Fridays. I also added a comment that Jared missed your TB at the Ocotillo camp out. Duncan! of team "!", responded with the Report button post (shown below).

On the voting results post - My comment was towards Duncan! of team "!" comment of censorship, and that's why I couldn't list the ideas that were suggested for the last voting option.

I'm sorry that I'm not living up the the standards of team "!" -- With your love, understanding and compassion of teaching me the ways of team "!", I will only begin to live up to the standards of team "!".

I can only ask for your forgiveness for disgracing the great name of team "!".

In front of everyone, I give you my vow that I will be a better team member of "!", and will no longer bring same and disgrace to team "!". I want you to know that I still care for you deeply, and whenever I see you it gives me joy and warm feelings all over. B):D:D:DB)

Sincerely,

SuperDave!

Living in shame for team "!" B):D

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

PLEASE...NO ICE PLANT

:D:D:D

NO MORE ICEPLANT, IF YOU ANSWER THE SURVEY! Jared missed your nuts at the campout, he saw the TB listed and got excited. :)B)B)

Has anybody ever hit this button?? :D

p_report.gif

What happens, exactly??

D!

Sorry...for associating the IP with the wrong person.

Sorry...for not voting...contrary to popular opinion...I do not have to voice my opinion on everything (especially a cache that I have not visited).

Sorry...for not getting my nuts to the event on time...We were enjoying our 2nd anniversary in Julian...we did make it to the event...but were late.

Not sorry...about the "Team "!" comment...you should be ashamed and in so doing should turn in your self proclaimed "!".

Sorry...The team is 3 (as all good teams are) with two mascots.

And last but not least as far as the button pushing thing goes...I hope I am pushing your button!

Sorry...The team is 3 (as all good teams are) with two mascots.

No matter how emphatically one might punctuate his remarks, one can only hope to occasionally ride wtih the "Team!" but never to actually be truly one with the "Team!"!!!

Edited by FlagMan

Here we go again

I Stopped by my Cache, I Hate Rocks ,today to replace it, S2 and 78. A Ranger pulls up and says are you Geocaching, he had seen others looking in this spot. I go up to the road and explain that I was replacing a Cache. He says did you know Caches are illegal in ABDSP but this one should be OK because of the right-away of the highway. I explain to him we have guidelines we follow for Caches in ABDSP. He wants to know the guidelines and who approved them. Tried to explain them the best I could and didn't know who approved them. Told him about the Blair Valley Campout and the visit by the Ranger. He wanted a name (jerk). He said a couple of weeks ago in Blair Valley some hikers found an unpainted ammo can and called the Rangers. It was near where that nude guy lived. It was a Cache and they removed it. I told him go to the web site and E-mail Marko Ramius for the guidelines and more info. As far as he is concerned Caches are litter and he will remove any he finds. (JERK) I asked him if the web site for ABDSP said anything about Caches and he didn't know.

RANGER BOB is a JERK

Edited by SKILLET
Here we go again

I Stopped by my Cache, I Hate Rocks ,today to replace it, S2 and 78. A Ranger pulls up and says are you Geocaching, he had seen others looking in this spot. I go up to the road and explain that I was replacing a Cache. He says did you know Caches are illegal in ABDSP but this one should be OK because of the right-away of the highway. I explain to him we have guidelines we follow for Caches in ABDSP. He wants to know the guidelines and who approved them. Tried to explain them the best I could and didn't know who approved them. Told him about the Blair Valley Campout and the visit by the Ranger. He wanted a name (jerk). He said a couple of weeks ago in Blair Valley some hikers found an unpainted ammo can and called the Rangers. It was near where that nude guy lived. It was a Cache and they removed it. I told him go to the web site and E-mail Marco Ramis for the guidelines and more info. As far as he is concerned Caches are litter and he will remove any he finds. (JERK) I asked him if the web site for ABDSP said anything about Caches and he didn't know.

RANGER BOB is a JERK

There's always one in the bunch. :) The ranger we met at the event was very cool. B) Anyhow, I wonder what he would have said if you had asked him where it says that caches are illegal in ABDSP. I can't find anything on their website.... Edited by TrailGators

Here we go again

I Stopped by my Cache, I Hate Rocks ,today to replace it, S2 and 78. A Ranger pulls up and says are you Geocaching, he had seen others looking in this spot. I go up to the road and explain that I was replacing a Cache. He says did you know Caches are illegal in ABDSP but this one should be OK because of the right-away of the highway. I explain to him we have guidelines we follow for Caches in ABDSP. He wants to know the guidelines and who approved them. Tried to explain them the best I could and didn't know who approved them. Told him about the Blair Valley Campout and the visit by the Ranger. He wanted a name (jerk). He said a couple of weeks ago in Blair Valley some hikers found an unpainted ammo can and called the Rangers. It was near where that nude guy lived. It was a Cache and they removed it. I told him go to the web site and E-mail Marco Ramis for the guidelines and more info. As far as he is concerned Caches are litter and he will remove any he finds. (JERK) I asked him if the web site for ABDSP said anything about Caches and he didn't know.

RANGER BOB is a JERK

Oops

Edited by Duncan!

Here we go again

RANGER BOB is a JERK

Edited for removal of unconstructive comments!

Re-edit: The rangers might want to work on their people skills. I've seen quite a few chips on quite a few shoulders.

D!

Edited by Duncan!
Here we go again

RANGER BOB is a JERK

There's always one in the bunch. :) The ranger we met at the event was very cool. B) Anyhow, I wonder what he would have said if you had asked him where it says that caches are illegal in ABDSP. I can't find anything on their website....

You weren't even in the park so cache on people.

Here we go again

RANGER BOB is a JERK

There's always one in the bunch. :cool: The ranger we met at the event was very cool. ;) Anyhow, I wonder what he would have said if you had asked him where it says that caches are illegal in ABDSP. I can't find anything on their website....

You weren't even in the park so cache on people.

There was a difference between the ranger that visited the campout and ABDSP rangers. The ranger that visited us was on lone from Lake Paris and working for the Ocotillo Wells Off Road Park. Administered a little different than the rest of ABDSP. The superintendant of ABDSP hates caches and is the one who tells the rangers to destroy them. I happen to know one of them and they are usually nice guys, but are just following orders.

B)B)

Edited by Chuck B

Here we go again

I Stopped by my Cache, I Hate Rocks ,today to replace it, S2 and 78. A Ranger pulls up and says are you Geocaching, he had seen others looking in this spot. I go up to the road and explain that I was replacing a Cache. He says did you know Caches are illegal in ABDSP but this one should be OK because of the right-away of the highway. I explain to him we have guidelines we follow for Caches in ABDSP. He wants to know the guidelines and who approved them. Tried to explain them the best I could and didn't know who approved them. Told him about the Blair Valley Campout and the visit by the Ranger. He wanted a name (jerk). He said a couple of weeks ago in Blair Valley some hikers found an unpainted ammo can and called the Rangers. It was near where that nude guy lived. It was a Cache and they removed it. I told him go to the web site and E-mail Marko Ramius for the guidelines and more info. As far as he is concerned Caches are litter and he will remove any he finds. (JERK) I asked him if the web site for ABDSP said anything about Caches and he didn't know.

RANGER BOB is a JERK

Yeesh! I think they forget all too often who is paying their wages & just who owns the land that they're "squatting" on! B);)B):cool:

There is a little controversy brewing in North County about suburban caches. No, not the Chevrolet kind, but the kind that are in peoples' front yards. Here are a few examples:

Whats your opinion?

I ran across some proposed language that I have fashioned into a Reviewers Note. I will be using this for any caches that appear to be in residential neighborhoods:

Hello, I am a volunteer for Geocaching.com and I have just reviewed your new cache submission. I am temporarily placing your cache “on hold” in the review queue while we address a problem with the cache.

I see your cache is in a residential neighborhood. While not against the guidelines, caches of this sort have caused problems in the past. Residents often do not appreciate an influx of strangers prowling their neighborhood and often remove, or report these caches to the police. If this is your own neighborhood, be sure to let your neighbors know about it. If this is not your neighborhood, consider how you would feel if you noticed strangers visiting your street at all hours and please reconsider using this location.

Please respond to this issue by either posting a Reviewer Note to this page or sending me an e-mail at markoramius.ro@gmail.com. If you send an e-mail, please don’t forget to include the GCxxxx code for the cache. Unless I hear from you in the next couple days, I will archive this listing to remove it from the queue. But don’t worry, I can always un-archive it once the issues have been addressed.

Thank you for your understanding and your contribution to geocaching.

Marko Ramius

Volunteer Cache Reviewer

There is a little controversy brewing in North County about suburban caches. No, not the Chevrolet kind, but the kind that are in peoples' front yards. Here are a few examples:

Whats your opinion?

I ran across some proposed language that I have fashioned into a Reviewers Note. I will be using this for any caches that appear to be in residential neighborhoods:

Hello, I am a volunteer for Geocaching.com and I have just reviewed your new cache submission. I am temporarily placing your cache “on hold” in the review queue while we address a problem with the cache.

I see your cache is in a residential neighborhood. While not against the guidelines, caches of this sort have caused problems in the past. Residents often do not appreciate an influx of strangers prowling their neighborhood and often remove, or report these caches to the police. If this is your own neighborhood, be sure to let your neighbors know about it. If this is not your neighborhood, consider how you would feel if you noticed strangers visiting your street at all hours and please reconsider using this location.

Please respond to this issue by either posting a Reviewer Note to this page or sending me an e-mail at markoramius.ro@gmail.com. If you send an e-mail, please don’t forget to include the GCxxxx code for the cache. Unless I hear from you in the next couple days, I will archive this listing to remove it from the queue. But don’t worry, I can always un-archive it once the issues have been addressed.

Thank you for your understanding and your contribution to geocaching.

Marko Ramius

Volunteer Cache Reviewer

Thanks for addressing this concern in such a conciliatory fashion. There will be times when cachers still wander off onto private property while they search for a cache, but by limitting those occurances we can avoid creating some bad impressions for those not playing the game.

Map for "California Counties Cached In"?

I know that you can get (at world66.com) a map of the states or nations you've cached in, but is there a similar site to easily make a map of California counties you've cached in?

I've only cached in 5 so far (SD, Riv., LA, SF, and whatever that place is where Palo Alto is located), but hey, I hope to fill in the map eventually! And I did get a Where's George hit once in the county of Siskskouyi, er, Siksouskeau, er, Squachicouyewo, er, way up north thar.....

Map for "California Counties Cached In"?

I know that you can get (at world66.com) a map of the states or nations you've cached in, but is there a similar site to easily make a map of California counties you've cached in?

I've only cached in 5 so far (SD, Riv., LA, SF, and whatever that place is where Palo Alto is located), but hey, I hope to fill in the map eventually! And I did get a Where's George hit once in the county of Siskskouyi, er, Siksouskeau, er, Squachicouyewo, er, way up north thar.....

You can upload your "MyFinds" Pocket Query to "It's Not About The Numbers" and it will (among other things) generate map showing which counties you have cached in. It will even color code the counties by numbers of finds. If all you want to do is look at the map, you are good to go.

But if you to post it on your homepage or something, you'll have to save the image and then find a place to upload it to. Unlike world66.com, it will not generate a snippet of HTML that you can insert into your cache page.

b677aff0-d503-4e09-8394-309c6802f235.jpg

Well wasn't really sure to post except I knew I need to get to the general San Diegans. I own two caches in Marian Bear Canyon in Clairemont and I am moving in the beginning of June, around the 6th. I didn't want to archive the caches because they are in really good spots and the one has a really cool container that I think people will like.

I was wondering if any of you would be so gracious enough to adopt my caches, they are literally only about .15 away from each other in the canyon and only a short walk to them. The links to them are these Helping Hand This cache has a really cool cache container. The second one is Cougars Stash This is just a really nice view. If anyone of you want to adopt them please let me know, I will check back here everyonce in awhile but the best bet would be to e-mail through my profile or just directly through my e-mail which is nameless301@yahoo.com

For those that want to adopt it please let me know, and also let me know how because I am not quite sure of the adoption process. For those that do want to adopt it I will take a hike down in the canyon with you to show you where the caches are and everything. Thank you and have a good day.

Well wasn't really sure to post except I knew I need to get to the general San Diegans. I own two caches in Marian Bear Canyon in Clairemont and I am moving in the beginning of June, around the 6th. I didn't want to archive the caches because they are in really good spots and the one has a really cool container that I think people will like.

I was wondering if any of you would be so gracious enough to adopt my caches, they are literally only about .15 away from each other in the canyon and only a short walk to them. The links to them are these Helping Hand This cache has a really cool cache container. The second one is Cougars Stash This is just a really nice view. If anyone of you want to adopt them please let me know, I will check back here everyonce in awhile but the best bet would be to e-mail through my profile or just directly through my e-mail which is nameless301@yahoo.com

For those that want to adopt it please let me know, and also let me know how because I am not quite sure of the adoption process. For those that do want to adopt it I will take a hike down in the canyon with you to show you where the caches are and everything. Thank you and have a good day.

I'm sure you will get some takers. Adoption is easy. Just use this link: www.geocaching.com/adopt

:unsure: Here is another article I thought ya'all would be interested in reading. This one here in Nevada. I have met and know Monty (and others in GBES). The GBES rally mentioned in the article is an event I am trying to get the splashes to come over for. Jodi and I are thinking about doing it. Also, HUBU! is helping with an event in Lake Tahoe that weekend. :blink:

http://www.newsreview.com/reno/Content?oid=318786

:anicute::anicute:A Few New Caches In Yuma. any of U folks travling this way are welcome............check'em out............ several are ?? easy finds, a little tough for some on the ??............require a tad of thinking and a smart pencil........... :anicute: ZIP 85364

As Ms. LLOT and I were out hunting caches this afternoon, we were also listening to one of our favorite radio programs, "A Way With Words" on KPBS. We were a little surprised hear our sport used as a metaphor -- we wouldn't have thought that geocaching was sufficiently mainstream for that...

Anyway, it was in the puzzle part of the show and the puzzle of the day was described as a "puzzle hunt". Basically, the clues given are a place and the answer is another place and so on. One of the hosts, Grant Barrett, responded to the description of the puzzle as "...kind of like a geocache with words..."

****NEWS FLASH**** Another fire in Scripps Ranch area!! This time near the LLOT Mansion on the hill that houses Glicks Eternal View. Just spoke with James and they are OK, and doesn't appear any homes are threatened at this time. Multiple fire response teams working on it from the ground and air. But I just hate that smell of smoke in the air...