The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Hey, here's another ghost from caching past. :laughing:

--- Parsa

It's a regular haunting now- another ghost from the past here.

Lots going on in my life now. Getting married- and no, the future wife totally supports caching. What she doesn't support is my not finishing my masters degree, pronto. So the caching (and the offroading) has taken a break. I hope to make it out to one last desert trip of the season. Some of you may not recognize me anymore- I've been forced (by doctor, not by fiancee) to eat more healthy food and I've lost a few pounds.

Dave

--- Parsa

Lots going on in my life now. Getting married- and no, the future wife totally supports caching. What she doesn't support is my not finishing my masters degree, pronto. So the caching (and the offroading) has taken a break. I hope to make it out to one last desert trip of the season. Some of you may not recognize me anymore- I've been forced (by doctor, not by fiancee) to eat more healthy food and I've lost a few pounds.

Dave

Congrats on the Masters Dave. I know it's a lot of work. I was lucky to get mine before I started caching. :laughing: I really need to eat healthier too. But everytime I lose a few pounds, the cacher in me finds them again! :rolleyes:

OK what ghost is next? Dan-oh? :unsure:

--- Parsa

Dave

Wow, now we just need Night Hunter to post again. Good luck with the Masters and way to go on the weight loss. Where's a pic of the new you? Dave

:laughing::laughing: Hey, When the FTF race gets tough in San Diego you can always do what HABU did... he drove 12 hours and got FTF on 3 of John's new ones in Fallon! John was so excited to see Bill's name! The caches sat for a week and we were getting bummed. Still 1 more to be "had" and 2 more to be approved. Fuel up the JEEPs and head out! r/jodi
:laughing::laughing: Hey, When the FTF race gets tough in San Diego you can always do what HABU did... he drove 12 hours and got FTF on 3 of John's new ones in Fallon! John was so excited to see Bill's name! The caches sat for a week and we were getting bummed. Still 1 more to be "had" and 2 more to be approved. Fuel up the JEEPs and head out! r/jodi

While Habu was driving 12 hours out to the boonies to get an FTF, there was a cache (Car Wash In the Park) not far from his house that was left unfound for almost 12 hours... :laughing:

There are two kinds of people in the world...those who will push an unlabeled button to see what it does and those who don't out of the fear that what it does will be bad...

It was one of those "I wonder what this does?" moments when I clicked on the number of posts to the San Diego List. I found out that it yields a sorted (and possibly, sordid) list of the people who've been wasting the most time on the forums.

b58939f8-8581-494d-a7b9-e9bce3ef6b44.jpg

There are two kinds of people in the world...those who will push an unlabeled button to see what it does and those who don't out of the fear that what it does will be bad...

It was one of those "I wonder what this does?" moments when I clicked on the number of posts to the San Diego List. I found out that it yields a sorted (and possibly, sordid) list of the people who've been wasting the most time on the forums.

Almost everything is a waste of time if you really think about it. :) At least I don't spend hundreds of dollars a year to chase a little white ball around while trying to get it into a bunch of tiny little holes in the ground...... :laughing:

Rats! now there'll be a race for top-dawg. Looks like I'm vulnerable in two categories.

We need some new blood on these Forum threads.

Note to self: Stopit!

Edited by SD Rowdies

Rats! now there'll be a race for top-dawg. Looks like I'm vulnerable in two categories.

Hey Harmon, if you should stop then I should stop. But I can't seem to do it. Look! I just did it again....

Hey Harmon, if you should stop then I should stop. But I can't seem to do it. Look! I just did it again....

Pat,

Face it pal, we need help. The thing is that I always check the Forum threads whenever I sit down to request a PQ or to log finds and DNFs. Partly my interests in things Photoshop lead me to most of my Forum entries.

Actually our local threads are showing signs of becoming stale. I hate it when that happens to human discourse. I deeply suspect that Forum readers are tired of seeing my posts, after all, who could blame them? Please a few and displease as many others, mostly it's not really important.

Of course I do have an formal obligation to handle the Geobabe's public relations activities. In that sense our whacky "This just in ..." thread was invented.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Pat,

Face it pal, we need help. The thing is that I always check the Forum threads whenever I sit down to request a PQ or to log finds and DNFs. Partly my interests in things Photoshop lead me to most of my Forum entries.

Actually our local threads are showing signs of becoming stale. I hate it when that happens to human discourse. I deeply suspect that Forum readers are tired of seeing my posts, after all, who could blame them? Please a few and displease as many others, mostly it's not really important.

Of course I do have an formal obligation to handle the Geobabe's public relations activities. In that sense our whacky "This just in ..." thread was invented.

Harmon

Ok, now the top three SD Thread posters have replied to this topic. :laughing:

Flagman, you are next!

Pat,

Harmon

Ok, now the top three SD Thread posters have replied to this topic. :laughing:

Flagman, you are next!

'Nuff said... Now get back to work! (And by that, I mean working on solving some puzzles...)

Wohahaha. Hey, I was actually out caching today. I found 6 little things in light post skirts (well mostly). The Vertically Challenged #2 was fun. I rigged up a pair of wire cutters taped to a hiking pole. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Parsa

HAPPY EASTER!!

We were out in the desert caching this weekend. ;) Where were all of you?? :D Yea, yea. I know. :o The event was changed to next weekend.

On the way back home, going thru Ramona, came across a couple looking for Air mail. Stopped to talk to them. Come to find out, they just came from A-B, where they had wanted to place some caches. :cry: According to them, the Rangers are making A-B off-limits for geocaching. :D:o Anyone else hear about this??!?! :blink: Or is this old news? :cry:

According to them, the Rangers are making A-B off-limits for geocaching.

That would really stink, but with the explosion of caches out there, I would not be surprised.

Most of the explosion of Caches are not in the ABDSP they are in the Off Road Area and BLM areas of Ocotillo Wells. <_<:laughing:

That would really stink, but with the explosion of caches out there, I would not be surprised.

Most of the explosion of Caches are not in the ABDSP they are in the Off Road Area and BLM areas of Ocotillo Wells. <_<:laughing:

If this becomes true, we (SDGeocachers) should meet with them and present some guidelines we Geocachers will abide by if we’re allowed to continue to hide and seek caches in the park.

We could show them the agreements with SDRP and even arrange a CITO event to show we care about the park. I’m sure all those flower lovers leave trash just like everyone else. (I wonder if they would ban flowers from the park) <_<

It’s all politics and sometimes one has to play along.

If this becomes true, we (SDGeocachers) should meet with them and present some guidelines we Geocachers will abide by if we're allowed to continue to hide and seek caches in the park.

We could show them the agreements with SDRP and even arrange a CITO event to show we care about the park. I'm sure all those flower lovers leave trash just like everyone else. (I wonder if they would ban flowers from the park) <_<

It's all politics and sometimes one has to play along.

Great suggestion Jerry!

If this becomes true, we (SDGeocachers) should meet with them and present some guidelines we Geocachers will abide by if we’re allowed to continue to hide and seek caches in the park.

We could show them the agreements with SDRP and even arrange a CITO event to show we care about the park. I’m sure all those flower lovers leave trash just like everyone else. (I wonder if they would ban flowers from the park) <_<

Anyone who has listed a cache in ABDSP has gotten a Reviewer Note from Marko Ramius that reads like this:

Hello there. I just reviewed your new cache and it appears that it has been placed within the boundaries of the Anza Borrego Desert State Park (“ABDSP”). The following special guidelines must be met before a cache within ABDSP can be approved:

1. Caches must be placed within 50 feet of authorized trail.

2. No caches permitted within 200 feet of an historic or archeological site.

3. No caches permitted in, on or under any building, structure or manmade object.

4. Caches cannot be buried.

5. No cutting or modification of vegetation.

6. No modifying of geologic features, i.e., no moving rocks, hiding under rocks or creating cairns.

Please respond to this issue by either posting a Reviewer Note to this page or sending me an e-mail at markoramius.ro@gmail.com. If you send an e-mail, please don’t forget to include the GCxxxx code for the cache. Unless I hear from you in the next couple days, I will archive this listing to remove it from the queue. But don’t worry, I can always un-archive it once the issues have been addressed.

Thank you for your understanding and for your contributions to the sport.

Marko Ramius

Volunteer Cache Reviewer

My understanding is that MR will not list any cache in ABDSP without the cache owner confirming that all of these additional guidelines have been met...

Edited by FlagMan
It looks like Rocketman is getting adapted to Colorado weather... (see link)
Been there done that. Do not miss it one bit.

Aww, come on. What's a little snow?? Its just a "little" change of pace! And you know what they say, if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes & it'll change! :anitongue::lol:

Yea, yea. That's why I live here too. :laughing:

My understanding is that MR will not list any cache in ABDSP without the cache owner confirming that all of these additional guidelines have been met...

So how many caches does this affect? Will we be seeing a wave of archivals? When will this occur? Should I rush and do a few of the special ones before they are archived? I haven't done a lot in AB.

Awhile back, I wrote the following:

Today, I found a cartoon that illustrates the concept...(guess which category I'm in...)

the_difference.png

(More of this brand of humor can be found at www.xkcd.com...)

We were out in the desert caching this weekend. :D Where were all of you?? ;) Yea, yea. I know. :D The event was changed to next weekend.

On the way back home, going thru Ramona, came across a couple looking for Air mail. Stopped to talk to them. Come to find out, they just came from A-B, where they had wanted to place some caches. :D According to them, the Rangers are making A-B off-limits for geocaching. :D:huh: Anyone else hear about this??!?! :D Or is this old news? :D

When I did the first Anza campout, some folks decided to contact the rangers about camping arrangements for the "big geocaching event." So, needless to say it freaked the rangers out, and they wanted all sorts of bureaucratic forms filled out until I explained that it wasn't really "organized" by a sponsoring organization. It was just a group of people camping out in Blair Valley who would all split up and go caching in various areas. They said they wanted to meet with all of us in the morning before we headed out. There was an issue with a cache that had been placed in the Indian settlement in Blair valley. Nobody disagreed that it was an inappropriate place for a cache.

People can start out following rules, but newer people, through ignorance, can do some really dumb things to ruin it for everyone else. Up here in Daley Ranch the rangers were very unhappy with the early caches placed in the park. I finally placed some, but tried very hard to make them immediately adjacent to the trails, using camouflage rather than putting them off-trail or under piles of rocks. People won't notice a well camouflaged cache unless they are looking for it (and even that's hard sometimes). Now there are more caches in Daley Ranch, and once again some rangers are complaining about the placements. Fortunately, some of the rangers in this area are cachers now! Perhaps that's the secret, take the rangers out geocaching and get them hooked.

Parsa

Today, I found a cartoon that illustrates the concept...(guess which category I'm in...)

the_difference.png

I would say you are in the scientist category. :huh:

the_difference.png

I would say you are in the scientist category. :huh:

What about the smart scientist? He gets his buddy to try it the next time... ;) Edited by TrailGators

the_difference.png

I would say you are in the scientist category. ;)

What about the smart scientist? He gets his buddy to try it the next time... :huh:

No, he gets his graduate student to try it again. :D

{snip}

I would say you are in the scientist category. :D

What about the smart scientist? He gets his buddy to try it the next time... ;)

No, he gets his graduate student to try it again. :huh:

or a geocacher :D

the_difference2.png

Edited by M2

{snip}

I would say you are in the scientist category. :wub:

What about the smart scientist? He gets his buddy to try it the next time... :D

No, he gets his graduate student to try it again. :wub:

or a geocacher :wub:

the_difference2.png

:wub:

Most of the explosion of Caches are not in the ABDSP they are in the Off Road Area and BLM areas of Ocotillo Wells. :D:wub:

We could show them the agreements with SDRP and even arrange a CITO event to show we care about the park. I’m sure all those flower lovers leave trash just like everyone else. (I wonder if they would ban flowers from the park) :wub:

Anyone who has listed a cache in ABDSP has gotten a Reviewer Note from Marko Ramius that reads like this:

Hello there. I just reviewed your new cache and it appears that it has been placed within the boundaries of the Anza Borrego Desert State Park (“ABDSP”). The following special guidelines must be met before a cache within ABDSP can be approved:

3. No caches permitted in, on or under any building, structure or manmade object.

6. No modifying of geologic features, i.e., no moving rocks, hiding under rocks or creating cairns.

Please respond to this issue by either posting a Reviewer Note to this page or sending me an e-mail at markoramius.ro@gmail.com. If you send an e-mail, please don’t forget to include the GCxxxx code for the cache. Unless I hear from you in the next couple days, I will archive this listing to remove it from the queue. But don’t worry, I can always un-archive it once the issues have been addressed.

Marko Ramius

Volunteer Cache Reviewer

Those are the same requirements we had last year. :wub:

The biggest concern was the cairns. It turns out there are cairns created by Indians, and cairns created by geocachers. :wub:

We don't want the Rangers moving our rock piles just because they think they are built by Indians, do we? :wub:

Just hide an ammo can near the well established trails, and stay away from the Indians. :wub:

We are lucky they are still letting us play our game out there.

Let's try to follow Any and All guidelines they establish.

Most of the explosion of Caches are not in the ABDSP they are in the Off Road Area and BLM areas of Ocotillo Wells. :ph34r::unsure:

We could show them the agreements with SDRP and even arrange a CITO event to show we care about the park. I’m sure all those flower lovers leave trash just like everyone else. (I wonder if they would ban flowers from the park) :huh:

Marko Ramius

Volunteer Cache Reviewer

Those are the same requirements we had last year. :huh:

The biggest concern was the cairns. It turns out there are cairns created by Indians, and cairns created by geocachers. ;)

We don't want the Rangers moving our rock piles just because they think they are built by Indians, do we? :rolleyes:

Just hide an ammo can near the well established trails, and stay away from the Indians. :o

We are lucky they are still letting us play our game out there.

Let's try to follow Any and All guidelines they establish.

Dang...

I thought I was in the San Diego Thread...but some how I must be in a vortex that has taken me to the SO. Cal. web site???

Can any of you scientist solve this for me?

Edited by GoBolts!

Sat afternoon at the Campout a Ranger stopped by my place to meet all the Geocachers. He just happened to be a Geocacher too (BoneRanger) He said 95% of the Rangers support Geocaching in the ABDSP and encourge it. They think it is healthy for the park(getting more people out and view the area and become aware) He said they are working with the higher ups to convince them of it. Bone Ranger was a great guy and he even let my granddaughter pet his K9. He talked with quite a few of the folks gathered. Some Rangers are great people :laughing:

Sat afternoon at the Campout a Ranger stopped by my place to meet all the Geocachers. He just happened to be a Geocacher too (BoneRanger) He said 95% of the Rangers support Geocaching in the ABDSP and encourge it. They think it is healthy for the park(getting more people out and view the area and become aware) He said they are working with the higher ups to convince them of it. Bone Ranger was a great guy and he even let my granddaughter pet his K9. He talked with quite a few of the folks gathered. Some Rangers are great people :laughing:

Yes, he was a nice guy. :laughing:
It's amazing what technology can do these days! :D

Hey, that's a problem I actually solved when designing cell-phone software at NeoPoiint and at HydroForce. Easy, intersection of polar hyperbolas with axis rotation and translation. Critical parameters are the signal propagation time from each of three cell nodes. Analytical geometery during second-year calculus.

The problem was easier at HydroForce because the application was for locating cell-phones keestered into cells of State and Federal prisons. Yes, that problem came up only after cell phones became tiny enough for keestering. The prison solution is easier because the cell phones can't roam so the three nodes are known in advance. Our reguirement was to pinpoint a cell phone down to one of three adjacent cells. From that point it is easy to conduct three cell searches and six potty-watches. Of course in multilevel cellblocks then cells below and above are in question as well as beside so the search and potty-watch routines must be expanded to cover nine cells or as many as eighteen inmates. Way better than an entire cellblock because then there's not enough staff to cover the search/watch requirement.

Additional problem was that inmate cell-phone calls are typically very short and placed in the wee hours for inmate-to-outside gang coordination. Critical issue for Correctional Officers targeted by gang members.

So, o.k., y' got that? Get your pencil out and go for it. Not much worse than a macro container placed in rip-rap.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Hey, that's a problem I actually solved when designing cell-phone software at NeoPoiint and at HydroForce. Easy, intersection of polar hyperbolas with axis rotation and translation. Critical parameters are the signal propagation time from each of three cell nodes. Analytical geometery during second-year calculus.

Oh sure Harmon, but what happens when you have a particle of preanimate matter caught in the matrix? :D:D

Oh sure Harmon, but what happens when you have a particle of preanimate matter caught in the matrix? :D:D

... PUD cake is the one true way to enter the realm of enlightenment.

Edited by SD Rowdies