The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

:blink: Hey, have you all nnoticed the Nevada thread has been busy lately?? :blink:

Has John gone and gotten a new account? I don't see any posts by J&J on that thread...

:rolleyes: No new account for John...he just likes to stir the pot. He placed his first cache and it's been almost a week and it's still un-found! It would drive me crazy......

Maybe Lance will drive up for it. He's done that at least once in the Temecula Valley.

<_< Hey, have you all nnoticed the Nevada thread has been busy lately?? :yikes:

Yes. How's Fallon? My little brother lives there. He retired as a Chief a few years ago and decided to stay.
:) Fallon is definitely not San Diego! I've been here before over the years and It hasn't changed... It is cold right now (single digits) :)

119d61f1-9244-439d-be49-a7f57f2d77dc.jpg

:laughing: Hey, have you all nnoticed the Nevada thread has been busy lately?? :blink:

Yes. How's Fallon? My little brother lives there. He retired as a Chief a few years ago and decided to stay.
:blink: Fallon is definitely not San Diego! I've been here before over the years and It hasn't changed... It is cold right now (single digits) :laughing:

119d61f1-9244-439d-be49-a7f57f2d77dc.jpg

Hey John you need to get a patch like this for your flight jacket, NAS FALLON Geocacher. You did good Harmon. :huh::P:laughing:

HI Would any cachers like to go on a cache run around San diego this comign SAT. I am from Sweetwater TN and would like to find a few caches while i am there maybe the web cam I will be staying at the Radisson on front street and sat Dozer is thinking about going fishing

So if anyone like to go on a cache run please let me know

THANKS

dozer&thedirtclods(geocaching nick)

Momma DirtClod/MDC

RITA

HI Would any cachers like to go on a cache run around San diego this comign SAT. I am from Sweetwater TN and would like to find a few caches while i am there maybe the web cam I will be staying at the Radisson on front street and sat Dozer is thinking about going fishing

THANKS

Momma DirtClod/MDC

RITA

If he's thinking about saltwater fishing, I think I'd save my money its not the best time of the year to go, kind of slim pickings out there now.

If he does go I think a half day boat to the kelp beds would be the best bet.

Point Loma or Fishermans landing in San Diego bay would be the best bet.

I've had problems with H&M landing the last couple of times I've used them.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure someone out there would love to go caching with you.

THANKS

Momma DirtClod/MDC

RITA

If he's thinking about saltwater fishing, I think I'd save my money its not the best time of the year to go, kind of slim pickings out there now.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure someone out there would love to go caching with you.

I agree! You really want to fish here in the heat of the summer when the water is warmest. :)

There is a link to the favorite caches in the area at the bottom of my post. When you know the time and meeting place post a note here and I'm sure that you will get some takers to go caching with you. It would also help if you added what kind of caches you prefer.

Edited by TrailGators

I agree! You really want to fish here in the heat of the summer when the water is warmest. :laughing: ..............

BUT you know how guys are they want to fish no matter what LOL......Kinda like some cachers

he only has the one day free so this is what he decided to do...being in the boat out there would be enough for him he works 6 days a week 12-14 hours a day for 6-7 months SO just a time for him to enjoy....But i will past this info on to him !!!!!!

NOW to the better stuff CACHING................

There is a link to the favorite caches in the area at the bottom of my post. When you know the time and meeting place post a note here and I'm sure that you will get some takers to go caching with you. It would also help if you added what kind of caches you prefer.................

I will be in town wednesday-sat ...with dozer for a safety meeting

I know i am free for SAT ...but would have to see what they have for the wives to do wed-friday

just some quick grab and go (mirco/ammo ) i would like the web cam. Just as long as I get a cache in CA ...to say I cached in CA ....i don't have really time for the mystery/puzzle cachers....Any exciting (different caches)...I will have a car rented not sure what kind but I am not to excited about driving in SAn DIEGO

So if anyone/group would like to cache/have lunch SAT just let me know...423 351 2961

Momma DirtClod/MDC

RITA

NEVER SAY TO A COP

1. I can't reach my license unless you hold my beer. (OK in Texas )

2. Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector wasn't plugged in.

3.Aren't you the guy from the Village People?

4. Hey, you must've been doin' about 125 mph to keep up with me. Good job!

5. Are You Andy or Barney?

6. I thought you had to be in relatively good physical condition to be a police officer.

7. You're not gonna check the trunk, are you?

8. I pay your salary!

9. Gee, Office r! That's terrific. The last officer only gave me a warning, too!

Image1.gif

10. Do you know why you pulled me over? Okay, just so one of us does.

11. I was trying to keep up with traffic. Yes, I know there are no other cars around.. That's how far ahead of me they are.

12. When the Officer says "Gee Your eyes look red, have you been drinking?" You probably shouldn't respond with,"Gee Officer your eyes look glazed, have you been eating doughnuts?"

:huh::huh::huh::huh:

I know i am free for SAT ...but would have to see what they have for the wives to do wed-friday

just some quick grab and go (mirco/ammo ) i would like the web cam. Just as long as I get a cache in CA ...to say I cached in CA ....i don't have really time for the mystery/puzzle cachers....Any exciting (different caches)...I will have a car rented not sure what kind but I am not to excited about driving in SAn DIEGO

So if anyone/group would like to cache/have lunch SAT just let me know...423 351 2961

Momma DirtClod/MDC

RITA

I am at Radisson harbourview 619-238-9461room 908 leave a msg still avaible SAT

Momma DirtClod/MDC

RITA

If you haven't nominated your favorite caches of 2006...you'd better hurry up!

I'll bump Showstop's thread with the link. We are going to host the awards at the event next month, it would be nice to see some local caches in the running!

Didn't know about it.... We have many great caches in the SD Favorites. Once you post the link, I'll definitely vote! Edited by TrailGators
If you haven't nominated your favorite caches of 2006...you'd better hurry up!

I'll bump Showstop's thread with the link. We are going to host the awards at the event next month, it would be nice to see some local caches in the running!

Didn't know about it.... We have many great caches in the SD Favorites. Once you the link, I'll definitely vote!

Don't forget to read the rules. The caches must have been placed during 2006, I believe. That will limit your choices some.

I need a group opinion on this one:

My 'Behind the Walmart' GCXT0A cache had its WP1 go missing. For those that found it, you might guess it was a PITA to set. Purely for my convience, I turned it into a single stage cache and down graded the difficulty. GoBolts! thought I should do something different and I'm interested to hear what the cache community has to say.

I'm not at all a numbers or stats guy so I don't understand that part. Honestly, thats why I don't do much caching anymore. Chances are slim that I'll make it a new cache since thats just too much trouble. Anyone care to convince me otherwise?

BTW, I have a few evil ideas that I want to get out there. Raise the bar and all that stuff.

Dan-oh

Re: Behind the WalMart

Sorry WP1 went MIA...It sucks you changed it...it changes the find for

all of us that found it the correct way. Takes away the difficulty and

a "multi" find. I think the best way, when a cache has a major change

of type and rating is to archive it and make a new one for what is

left...that way the stats and history remain what they were.

Just my two cents...it was a great cache...thanks for all of the time

and effort.

GoBolts!

My 'Behind the Walmart' GCXT0A cache had its WP1 go missing. For those that found it, you might guess it was a PITA to set. Purely for my convience, I turned it into a single stage cache and down graded the difficulty. GoBolts! thought I should do something different and I'm interested to hear what the cache community has to say.

I'm not at all a numbers or stats guy so I don't understand that part. Honestly, thats why I don't do much caching anymore. Chances are slim that I'll make it a new cache since thats just too much trouble. Anyone care to convince me otherwise?

BTW, I have a few evil ideas that I want to get out there. Raise the bar and all that stuff.

Dan-oh

and effort.

GoBolts!

It was a great urban! I think that if you made a new cache with just stage 2, then it wouldn't be any fun for anyone that already found that cache to find that again. Anyone that didn't find it wouldn't know the difference. So I think it's better to do what you did. :) When it comes to stats/numbers, just remember the famous quote from the movie Meatballs: "It just doesn't matter!" :laughing:

Dan-oh

and effort.

GoBolts!

Honestly, I think we all at times have a tendency of taking this game way too seriously, myself definitely included. This cache is, after all, one of literally thousands of caches in San Diego County -- one of the better ones to be sure. But whatever direction it takes will be A-OK with me...

Dan-oh

and effort.

GoBolts!

I flipped a coin and it came on GoBolts! side; so, I will add a few words on his behalf.

For those that watch their #s, a change in the terrain/difficulty level will affect their averages. For the cacher that only does multis; he may be annoyed to find a traditional in this count.

I'm bummed I never made time to check it out.

Dan-oh

and effort.

GoBolts!

Honestly, I think we all at times have a tendency of taking this game way too seriously, myself definitely included. This cache is, after all, one of literally thousands of caches in San Diego County -- one of the better ones to be sure. But whatever direction it takes will be A-OK with me...

:) The beauty of this game/hobby/sport is that there is something for everyone. We need Dan-ohs. We need Dak Girls. We need TTs and TAs. We need micros in urban parks and under lamp skirts. We need PW and Rabbit Peaks. We need folks that only post to forums and only cache once a month. That's what makes this game cool. I'm married to a numbers freak. We just spent that last 365 days getting at least one cache a day. Can you imagine how stressful that was???? But it was our fun and that's what he/(ok we) chose to do. I'm just happy to be able to have fun! I'm just happy that tomorrow I don't have to alter my way home to get a cache!!! (unless I want to :laughing: ) R/ jodi

Edited by jahoadi and john

Dan-oh

and effort.

GoBolts!

I flipped a coin and it came on GoBolts! side; so, I will add a few words on his behalf.

For those that watch their #s, a change in the terrain/difficulty level will affect their averages. For the cacher that only does multis; he may be annoyed to find a traditional in this count.

I'm bummed I never made time to check it out.

The way Dan-oh did this cache it is not possible to hide the final in a different way. So a new cache wouldn't be new at all. I can see why Dan-oh would not want to come out with a new cache that wasn't original. It's really up to him. I didn't say it before, but I think the best solution would be for Dan-oh to find a volunteer to reset WP1 for him. I still laugh about that one. :laughing: I hope Dan-oh sticks around because there is definitely room in the game for fun and creative non-numbers cachers like him! :) Edited by TrailGators

On one hand, I tend to agree with FlagMan that life is too short to spend too much time worrying about such things. If I look back over the history of my finds, I can see caches that have changed types, locations, difficulties, container sizes, numbers of WPs changing, etc. If I worried about each and every one of these changes, I could get myself into a pretty deep funk. Instead I accept that nothing is forever and that things will change.

On the other hand, I would be bummed if my puzzle cache count went down through no action of my own.

And on the third hand, there have been two instances of caches being changed to puzzle caches and my puzzle cache count going up through no action of my own. If it went down again, that would just be the wheel coming full circle.

For what it's worth, there is already an instance of a mult-cache (in the southern part of MTRP) that has been reduced to a single WP. It remains, to this day, as a multicache.

On one hand, I tend to agree with FlagMan that life is too short to spend too much time worrying about such things. If I look back over the history of my finds, I can see caches that have changed types, locations, difficulties, container sizes, numbers of WPs changing, etc. If I worried about each and every one of these changes, I could get myself into a pretty deep funk. Instead I accept that nothing is forever and that things will change.

On the other hand, I would be bummed if my puzzle cache count went down through no action of my own.

And on the third hand, there have been two instances of caches being changed to puzzle caches and my puzzle cache count going up through no action of my own. If it went down again, that would just be the wheel coming full circle.

For what it's worth, there is already an instance of a mult-cache (in the southern part of MTRP) that has been reduced to a single WP. It remains, to this day, as a multicache.

Do you have three hands James? B) I think you need to switch to your feet, if you use up both of your hands.... B)

I can definitely relate to the issues of those who keep track of various cache types, but I can say from some in depth interaction with the local reviewers that the owners of a cache really have complete say over what they do with the listing so long as it falls within guidelines. They can delete any and all logs if they want with any reason or no reason at all. They can "blackball" another cacher by deleting that person's logs from all their caches. GC.com does not get involved with such things and figures that the caching community will respond accordingly to such anti-social behavior. In this case if the concern is that a multi will change to a traditional in everyone's count who already did the cache, it's pretty much just up to the cache owner to decide. There are lots of "mystery/puzzle" caches out there that are lableled traditionals because the mystery/puzzle type didn't even exist for the first couple years of the sport. These aren't changed unless the cache owner requests it to be changed. Likewise, there are lots of caches with the "mystery/puzzle" icon that are really just glorified multi-caches. So the numbers will never be exact. I'd be a whole lot more concerned about it if there was some sort of wholesale switch of an entire category of caches, or something like that. But for a single cache to change its character for a legitimate reason, doesn't strike me as any big deal at all...

Hi,

Please let me explain....First this was never an attack on Dan-Oh or his caches (I love them and wish I had time to do more)...and I wish I was a purist and not the numbers slut that I am.

And yes in the great scheme of thing...this makes no difference whatsoever. It was a great cache and I will always remember doing it.

I like numbers and stats whether it be baseball, football or caching.

Like I said in my e-mail to Dan-oh...It was/is just my 2 cents. I am sorry I got you all stirred up. B)

PS Yesterday was the first time in almost 2 months I have visited the San Diego forums...Did I miss anything?

PPS I have missed you guys!

Hi,

Please let me explain....First this was never an attack on Dan-Oh or his caches (I love them and wish I had time to do more)...and I wish I was a purist and not the numbers slut that I am.

And yes in the great scheme of thing...this makes no difference whatsoever. It was a great cache and I will always remember doing it.

Like I said in my e-mail to Dan-oh...It was/is just my 2 cents. I am sorry I got you all stirred up. :D

PS Yesterday was the first time in almost 2 months I have visited the San Diego forums...Did I miss anything?

Dan-oh may have took it in a different way than you intended because you wrote "It sucks you changed it" in the email.... B) Anyhow, I think we all agree that it's no big deal. As Tom said there a lots of caches that are miscategorized.

We haven't heard much from you lately, I asked Richard where you were these days and he explained a little bit. So I hope things are going better for you! Take care. B)

Edited by TrailGators

Hi,

Like I said in my e-mail to Dan-oh...It was/is just my 2 cents. I am sorry I got you all stirred up. B)

Nothing stirred up and I didn't take anything wrong. My opinion is to leave the cache thus and thought if there was an overwheling response, it might sway me one way or the other. I've had opions before (caching and other) that went counter to the community and allowed that to influence me.

Anyway you look at it, its a good group discussion to have.

Hi,

Nothing stirred up and I didn't take anything wrong. My opinion is to leave the cache thus and thought if there was an overwheling response, it might sway me one way or the other. I've had opions before (caching and other) that went counter to the community and allowed that to influence me.

B) Hey Dan-oh...FATTBOY just placed a cache in Santee that would make you proud!!! Have you ben giving him lessons????

Edited by jahoadi and john

Hi,

Like I said in my e-mail to Dan-oh...It was/is just my 2 cents. I am sorry I got you all stirred up. :D

B) Hey Dan-oh...FATTBOY just placed a cache in Santee that would make you proud!!! Have you ben giving him lessons????

I was there when Jahoadi finally found it and there's were here first words out of her mouth. B)B)

This is not your typical Fattboy. :D:DB)

Hi,

Dan-oh may have took it in a different way than you intended because you wrote "It sucks you changed it" in the email....I might have took it the same way he did, if I didn't know you. Anyhow, I think we all agree that it's no big deal. As Tom said there are lots of caches that are miscategorized.

We haven't heard much from you lately, I asked Richard where you were these days and he explained a little bit. So I hope things are going better for you! Take care. B)

Sorry I meant "It sucks you HAD to change it".

and thanks for your concern...actually, things are not going better...I am stressed and overwhelmed...and live for the occasional Friday with Duncan!

Hi,

Dan-oh may have took it in a different way than you intended because you wrote "It sucks you changed it" in the email....I might have took it the same way he did, if I didn't know you. Anyhow, I think we all agree that it's no big deal. As Tom said there are lots of caches that are miscategorized.

We haven't heard much from you lately, I asked Richard where you were these days and he explained a little bit. So I hope things are going better for you! Take care. :D

Sorry I meant "It sucks you HAD to change it".

and thanks for your concern...actually, things are not going better...I am stressed and overwhelmed...and live for the occasional Friday with Duncan!

It does suck that it got muggled. Those kinds of caches are rare. Only the Dan-ohs of the world can make a hackneyed lamp post cache special! B)

Someone PLEASE take T.R. Violin's gps away!!!

Nah... He'd just start hiding 'em with topo maps... :D

What you need to take away is his boots and walking stick...

...but it wouldn't do any good anyway. He's probably got hundreds of caches already placed, just waiting for the right moment to be announced. ;)

Maybe we can get him "unauthorized" so that he can't pass by signs that say "authorized personel only"

Wow, almost 11000 posts! This must be a record-breaking thread, at least in the regional forums! :D:D:D:D
Wow, almost 11000 posts! This must be a record-breaking thread, at least in the regional forums! B)B):D:D:laughing:
partysmiley018ru7.gifpartysmiley017vt6.gifpartysmiley018ru7.gifpartysmiley017vt6.gifpartysmiley018ru7.gifpartysmiley017vt6.gif
Hehe, and a special thanks to you for getting us almost halfway there all by yourself! B)