The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

This brings up the question: "Why aren't there more rebus Puzzle caches around here?"

Shhh! You mustn't mention the Puzzle-That-Must-Not-Be-Named. You might awaken the Adelos Monster or the FlagCreature from the Decon Lagoon!

Tucson Thompsen showed us that there's naught but evil on this path! For this he was banished to the Arid Zone. Now go! And speak of this no more!

:D

Just doing an informal poll as to how people calibrate the compass on their GPS. How many of you stand in the middle of a public place and turn slowly for two complete circles or the other option being to turn the GPS slowly for 2 complete turns while it is resting in your hand? I personally am one of the fools who read the GPS telling me to turn 2 full circles and did just that. It worked but it looks rather silly. Tell me I'm not the only one. Please.

Just doing an informal poll as to how people calibrate the compass on their GPS. How many of you stand in the middle of a public place and turn slowly for two complete circles or the other option being to turn the GPS slowly for 2 complete turns while it is resting in your hand? I personally am one of the fools who read the GPS telling me to turn 2 full circles and did just that. It worked but it looks rather silly. Tell me I'm not the only one. Please.

Kwver, Quit laughing.

Edited by "lostguy"

Kwver, Quit laughing.

I can't help but laugh..It was hilarious,,Now I did have a discussion with a couple who both have Garmins and I was told that the man in the family did turn himself in circles for awhile. um maybe jodi would have something to add to this post...[:D]

I, for one, turn around two full circles and I'm proud of it.

I used to turn the GPS but I found that turning myself has several advantages.

1. I regulate the speed of turning better (not too fast, not too slow)
  2. I can do it less conspicuously, than I can fumbling around with the GPSr.
  3. I can look around to see what muggles are watching instead of staring at the GPSr screen.
  4. I can look for the cache while turning (and more than once I've found it while doing this!)

I used to do it by spinning in circles but now I just spin it in my hand. I recalibrate everytime I change the batteries.

If there aren't too many muggles around, I spin around which is my preferred method. In real congested spots, I may do the hand method. RM

I used to do it by spinning in circles but now I just spin it in my hand. I recalibrate everytime I change the batteries.

Here's a tip ... if convenient change the batteries when the unit is plugged into an external power source, auto or USB cable, and you won't need to recalibrate the compass. For my Magellan unit I use a Radio Shack power converter when interfacing to my desktop, and of course the USB cable for my Garmin unit.

No good while on the trail of course but useful if NiMH rechargeables are being used and you keep an eye on charge state. I have three or four sets of NiMH batteries that I have used for two years now. ... no more 12-packs of AA batteries. Now that I've brought up NiMH battery issue do know that there's a setting on Garmin-60 units so that the charge-state display properly reflects NiMH charge state.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Kwver, Quit laughing.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: But it's just too funny. When I was told about this man turning in circles on Shelter Island I knew it was "Lostguy" but I just thought he was looking for the cache!! I think it's a guy thing because John does the same thing..or at least he used to ...

Kwver, Quit laughing.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: But it's just too funny. When I was told about this man turning in circles on Shelter Island I knew it was "Lostguy" but I just thought he was looking for the cache!! I think it's a guy thing because John does the same thing..or at least he used to ...

Must be entertaining when they are standing on top of a huge boulder.

By the way, there's a devilish local prankster that we all know and love that's been telling somebody to walk around in a figure-eight pattern when calibratiing their compass. Too true.

Edited by SD Rowdies

If there aren't too many muggles around, I spin around which is my preferred method. In real congested spots, I may do the hand method. RM

Hand method you say?

Here's a tip ... if convenient change the batteries when the unit is plugged into an external power source, auto or USB cable, and you won't need to recalibrate the compass. For my Magellan unit I use a Radio Shack power converter when interfacing to my desktop, and of course the USB cable for my Garmin unit.

No good while on the trail of course but useful if NiMH rechargeables are being used and you keep an eye on charge state. I have three or four sets of NiMH batteries that I have used for two years now. ... no more 12-packs of AA batteries. Now that I've brought up NiMH battery issue do know that there's a setting on Garmin-60 units so that the charge-state display properly reflects NiMH charge state.

Thanks for the tip Harmon! I just got an auto cable for my 60CS from :laughing: !

Hand method you say?

:laughing:

Thanks for the tip Harmon! I just got an auto cable for my 60CS from :laughing: !

Pat,

Great! now go with NiMH batteries and you're home free. For a full-day outing I tuck a just-in-case set of NiMH batteries into the watch-pocket of my jeans. Just for the record, how many of you know what a "watch-pocket" is? Come to think of it how many of you know what a "watch" is nowadays?

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Hand method you say?

I could have used another word instead of method, but thought better of it. :laughing:

Hand method you say?

I could have used another word instead of method, but thought better of it. :laughing:

"Method" is better? Being snowed in so much does things to a man I suppose. Anyway, I'm glad to know that you "thought about it."

Edited by SD Rowdies

Tucson Thompsen showed us that there's naught but evil on this path! For this he was banished to the Arid Zone. Now go! And speak of this no more!

:laughing:

Yet you all still Pay Homage to the Master.... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

--TT--

All hail TT! we do miss you buddy in spite of all the trouble you caused us.

Now get out of bed and go change the baby.

Edited by SD Rowdies

"Method" is better? Being snowed in so much does things to a man I suppose. Anyway, I'm glad to know that you "thought about it."

44.gif

shining.jpg

Yes....snowed-in in Colorado will get to you after awhile, won't it? The historical precedent is too strong.

How whack can those Coloradans get after the snows come??? Well....Alferd Packer is....get this...the OFFICIAL state cannibal of Colorado. Heck, even the student union cafeteria at CU Boulder is called (I am not kidding here) the "Alferd Packer Memorial Grill".

So what's the under/over as to when RocketMan starts talking to his finger saying 'redrum...redrum'

Best of luck, RM! :laughing:

--TT--

(ex-Colorado resident 1981-1984)

44.gif

shining.jpg

Yes....snowed-in in Colorado will get to you after awhile, won't it? The historical precedent is too strong.

How whack can those Coloradans get after the snows come??? Well....Alferd Packer is....get this...the OFFICIAL state cannibal of Colorado. Heck, even the student union cafeteria at CU Boulder is called (I am not kidding here) the "Alferd Packer Memorial Grill".

So what's the under/over as to when RocketMan starts talking to his finger saying 'redrum...redrum'

Best of luck, RM! :laughing:

--TT--

Funny what you run into in an old cemetary when you are out hunting for a virtual cache.

5fc776d5-54b6-4aa3-b97c-82070d5804a9.jpg

Edited by RocketMan
I started the New Year with some Poison Oak. :laughing:

What is the best stuff to buy as a treatment for it?

Ha! Ha! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Oh, sorry, I use Tecnu. That seems to have worked pretty well when I got Poison Oak.

Tecnu works BEFORE (itch itch) you get it. I need (itch itch) to know (itch itch) what works the best AFTER you get it (itch itch)...

I know it's too late now but you can use Tecnu as soon as the rash appears to remove the oils. I had to use it on my arm recently and the rash cleared pretty quickly.

I think by now the belt sander option is looking pretty good. B)

Apparently the tradition is gone but they used to celebrate Alferd Packer Day at CU Boulder. The main event was a raw meat eating contest. I still have the commemorative t-shirts with such slogans as:

• Tasting a New Generation
  • Where's the Beef?
  • Nothing Says Lovin' Like Someone in the Oven

I bought a 60Cx just for that reason... I got tired of calibrating the compass. Also, I found no use for it. However, when I did have my vista, yes, I turned slowly for 2 complete turns. I just do what the GPSr tells me to. All hail the GPSr. End transmission. :laughing:

D!

I tuck a just-in-case set of NiMH batteries into the watch-pocket of my jeans. Just for the record, how many of you know what a "watch-pocket" is? Come to think of it how many of you know what a "watch" is nowadays?

Harmon

It's really a "pocket-watch watch-pocket" but I think most catalogs refer to it as a coin pocket now. I have Minerva decimal-minute stop watch which is the perfect size for the pocket, but I would never carry it there. It's probably also the only analog clock I own anymore, and I have to stop and think when someone says clockwise.

Bill

It's really a "pocket-watch watch-pocket" but I think most catalogs refer to it as a coin pocket now. I have Minerva decimal-minute stop watch which is the perfect size for the pocket, but I would never carry it there. It's probably also the only analog clock I own anymore, and I have to stop and think when someone says clockwise.

What would people do without us old guys?

At the last pizza event I asked Jess what she was doing in 1934.

She gave me a blank look and then said "I wasn't born then."

Then I asked if her mother was.

She thought it over and said "No."

I said "Think about it."

Scary huh?

Edited by SD Rowdies

I got a bad case of Poison Oak trying to find my first cache, and I've gotten it a few times since. I use that hydrocortisone cream, but as you know it only helps so much. You can't sleep for the itching. Besides the steroid shots, you can get a prescription for Prednisone (steroid pills). That can definitely help. Sleeping pills help for the sleeping. There's lots of info on the web, like:

http://www.knoledge.org/oak/

When I think I might have gotten some on my hands, I immediately rinse my hands. If I think I may have been exposed, when I get home, I wash everything I was wearing, including my backpack, and rub down with a rag everything else, like my GPS and steering wheel. I'm pretty paranoid now.

I said "Think about it."

Scary huh?

I wasn't around in 1934 but my Mom was (barely)...

I'm not nearly as old as some people around here, but I had that scary moment for the first time when I realized that there were people old enough to vote who hadn't been around for Viet Nam, The Beatles or the the first moon landing.

Darn, kids! Get off my lawn!

I have to do this everytime I go out, it seems. I have a 60Csx, but the magnetic compass seems to lose cal fairly easily. When the needle starts going wild, I recal and spin in a circle twice. It is indeed pretty silly looking. Sounds like my unit might be particularly bad for losing cal?

I have to do this everytime I go out, it seems. I have a 60Csx, but the magnetic compass seems to lose cal fairly easily. When the needle starts going wild, I recal and spin in a circle twice. It is indeed pretty silly looking. Sounds like my unit might be particularly bad for losing cal?

Remember that you can always turn off the electronic compass by pressing and holding the Page button. Press and hold it again to turn it back on. I sometimes turn it off if it is acting up and I don't want to take the time to do the calibration. RM

I said "Think about it."

Scary huh?

I wasn't around in 1934 but my Mom was (barely)...

I'm not nearly as old as some people around here, but I had that scary moment for the first time when I realized that there were people old enough to vote who hadn't been around for Viet Nam, The Beatles or the the first moon landing.

Darn, kids! Get off my lawn!

I still remember watching Neil Armstrong! That was very cool! :laughing:

Apparently the tradition is gone but they used to celebrate Alferd Packer Day at CU Boulder. The main event was a raw meat eating contest. I still have the commemorative t-shirts with such slogans as:

• Tasting a New Generation
  • Where's the Beef?
  • Nothing Says Lovin' Like Someone in the Oven

Cool....someone else has the t-shirts too!!

Mine from Alferd Packer Day 1991 has Al dressed up like MC Hammer with the slogan "Please Hammer Don't Eat 'em (U Can't Cook This)."

and from 1992 has good ol' Alferd as Ray Charles with a riff on the old Pepsi slogan... "You Bit the Raw One, Baby. Uh huh!"

Yup..Alferd Packer Day (April 22) was cancelled by the wave of PC granolaidiots in Boulder in 1995.

I can't believe that they got rid of the raw meat eating contests. *sigh* I have to resign myself to watching PCU or Cannibal! The Musical, just to get a...flavour... of what once was great about America....the right to celebritize and celebrate a cannibal!

Who's up for some steak tartare? :laughing:

--TT--

Edited by TucsonThompsen
b953d42d-9762-4b3e-bf93-e7260f1bb73c.jpg

Old people test: You are old if you know what to do after you say: "Oops I could have a V8!"

Wait a minute...I must be getting hold! I thought I was supposed to slap my forehead FIRST, then say "I coud have had a V8!"

:(

Whatever! :unsure: As you get older you also start saying "whatever" a lot more! :(

"Whatever" :P:D

Old people test: You are old if you know what to do after you say: "Oops I could have a V8!"

Wait a minute...I must be getting hold! I thought I was supposed to slap my forehead FIRST, then say "I coud have had a V8!"

:(

Whatever! :unsure: As you get older you also start saying "whatever" a lot more! B)

"Whatever" :P:D

"Whatever" :DB) Did I say that already, whatever. :(:D

Helicopter crash on Otay with 9 members of National Guard and Border Patrol on board. All survived, apparently with non-life-threatening injuries. I've got a call into Night Hunter to see if he is OK. Article here: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/2...-1m3copter.html

Thanks Tom for checking on Nighthunter. Let us know when you hear. r/ jnj

I spoke with him today. He says hello to everyone and that he misses geocaching. He's fine and wasn't on the helicopter. Sounds like all those on board will be OK as well...

:rolleyes:

Whatever! :) As you get older you also start saying "whatever" a lot more! :(

"Whatever" :P:)

"Whatever" :P:) Did I say that already, whatever. :):wub:

True Story: I went to the grocery store yesterday and bought some alcohol - and I got carded! :wub:

The "kid" that carded me could *theoretically* be my son!

Best of luck, RM! :ph34r:

--TT--

Funny what you run into in an old cemetary when you are out hunting for a virtual cache.

5fc776d5-54b6-4aa3-b97c-82070d5804a9.jpg

Sorry, wrong spelling!

P.S. You'd think he'd be the canibal of CA, not CO. Learn something new every day!

Since we're learning history of CO., did you know that Golden was the first capital of the territory of CO? You can go to a bldg on main street & read a plaque on a bldg for more info. B)

Thanks, my neighbor got it really bad. So I'll tell him to go get a shot. He thinks he got it from petting Richard's dog which after it ran through a bunch of PO. I don't have it that bad to warrant going to the Doctor, so what is the best OTC solution?

Ms. LLOT and I seem to have avoided your fate. (Not sure how...)

Have you tried sanding it off? Some 60 grit paper should take it down real quickly. B)

I am one of those people that gets it really easy. Anyhow, with all these suggestions of sitting in a doctor's office for two hours to get a shot with a six inch needle or scratching it with sharp fingernails or sanding it off with coarse sandpaper, I am suddenly feeling much better! B) But I do own a power belt sander that I could loan to John or Dennis (my neighbor)! B):ph34r:

I just realized that one of the TB's in the cache near the spot where Kaida ran through the PO is named "AJ's Power Sander" B):PB)