The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Did you guys know that suction cup mounts are illegal in California?

f1236072-771c-419d-8251-23663abb70fd.jpg

I was thinking of getting one from :rolleyes: until I read that.....

What are they going to do now? Have the CHP set up suction cup check points? :anicute:

Well... that law clearly sucks :)

I was thinking of getting one from :rolleyes: until I read that.....

What are they going to do now? Have the CHP set up suction cup check points? :anicute:

Well... that law clearly sucks :)

There is this exception:

(11) An electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that is not greater than 5 inches square, if the device provides either of the following:

(A The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped with the device.

(B The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on public or private roads or facilities.

You just need to mount your FastPass to it! ;-)

Edited by Jonesi

I was thinking of getting one from :anicute: until I read that.....

What are they going to do now? Have the CHP set up suction cup check points? :)

Well... that law clearly sucks :rolleyes:

There is this exception:

(11) An electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that is not greater than 5 inches square, if the device provides either of the following:

(A The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped with the device.

(B The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on public or private roads or facilities.

You just need to mount your FastPass to it! ;-)

:P So you can obstruct your view as long as you are paying them something...... :) Edited by TrailGators

I've been using one for almost 5 years without any problem,

I think the chp and local pds have more on their minds then suction mounts. That said, they could use it as a reason to stop you. When I normally go caching its early Sunday mornings and the laptop is on and with a mapping program its legal here in CA.

Of course the way my instrument cluster is designed and all side windows are tinted the gps is not that noticeable, and front side window tints are legal in other states like Az where my vehicles are now registered :)

Edited by vagabond

I was thinking of getting one from :) until I read that.....

A few months ago I was pulled over and ticketed for not having a front licence plate (just a fix-it ticket). :):rolleyes::anicute:

The officer was quite interested in how well my Valentine-1 radar detector worked but made no comment about it being stuck to my windshield! :P:)

Guess it was just my lucky day. B)B)

Jeff

We've used one for over a year without problems as well. It stays on, even on bumpy roads and doesn't block any more from view than a friction mount or beanbag would. Might also mention that we know a certain attorney that uses one as well. [:D].

Go ahead . . . live dangerously . . . buy it! :(

I feel I must defend my honor here. I DO NOT have one of those "CA illegal" suction cup type thingies attached to my windshield. I have the "CA legal" version of the thingy with the double-sided foam tape that is intended to be stuck on the dashboard...

I do have to admit that I stuck my thingy on my windshield instead of on the dashboard -- but its not one of those illegal suction cup thingies!!

We've used one for over a year without problems as well. It stays on, even on bumpy roads and doesn't block any more from view than a friction mount or beanbag would. Might also mention that we know a certain attorney that uses one as well. [ :( ].

I feel I must defend my honor here. I DO NOT have one of those "CA illegal" suction cup type thingies attached to my windshield. I have the "CA legal" version of the thingy with the double-sided foam tape that is intended to be stuck on the dashboard...

I do have to admit that I stuck my thingy on my windshield instead of on the dashboard -- but its not one of those illegal suction cup thingies!!

Mea culpa. No suction cup, but it is stuck to the windshield. Though I'm not sure why you felt obliged to defend your honor when no names were mentioned. Perhaps feeling a bit guilty of criminal conduct? :D

We've used one for over a year without problems as well. It stays on, even on bumpy roads and doesn't block any more from view than a friction mount or beanbag would. Might also mention that we know a certain attorney that uses one as well. [ :( ].

Mea culpa. No suction cup, but it is stuck to the windshield. Though I'm not sure why you felt obliged to defend your honor when no names were mentioned. Perhaps feeling a bit guilty of criminal conduct? :D

I plead GCZQ7X plus 4...

Oh I just got one of those suckers for Christmas!

My Sirrus radio is suckered to the front windscreen too...opps!

By the way how does the GPS sit in the cradle/bracket, we can't work out how it stays in place.

Jane

quiet plug for Christmas Card Lane Cache, now up and running for this year, thanks to PQCachers prodding!

p.s. oh and there is a TB in it that wants to go to New Zealand

p.p.s I am going to England soon so if you have any TBs that want to go too, drop them in!

Edited by Silver Horde
This is the Escondido United for Diabetes travel bug.

Add it to your watchlist, so you can get a picture of it if it makes it to town! There is a new 60CSX given away each quarter for the best pics.

Search the user name Unite for Diabetes to see the list of all 20,000 tags to see find the one headed to your own city.

I got my Unite for Diabetes TB in the mail today. It's trying to get to Yasynuvata, Ukraine. One obstacle that I can see is that the nearest cache to Yasynuvata is 309 miles away. :(

Mine is supposed to go to a place in India where the nearest cache is 388 miles away. TRViolin, you up for a little hike? :D

Hey gang,

Just wanted to drop a note...

This year, at the Temecula event, we are hosting the "Best of Southern California Cache Awards" ceremony. This is something Showstop has been doing for the Southern California group for several years now.

Since our event has been drawing a large number of people from Southern California, I was asked if they could have some time at the event to make the presentations there. I happily agreed.

So, sometime soon, he will be posting a notice in the Southwest Forums announcing that the nomination period is open. Make sure you participate and nominate your favorite caches for the appropriate categories. Nominations will remain open until the last week of January.

At that point, he will create a bookmark of all the nomiated caches, and post an online voting ballot. I'd like to encourage everyone to visit as many caches as possible that are on the final list, and cast your vote before the event.

Voting will end the Friday before the event, and the winners will be announced at the event.

Sounds like some group caching road trips need to be planned for January! :(

Public Service Announcement

The Wildlife Research Institute presents:

HAWKWATCH 2007

Every Saturday in Ramona, California

January & February 2007

FREE TO THE PUBLIC

TIME: 9AM-NOON

Meet at WRI Headquarters: 18030 Highland Valley Rd., Ramona 92065

Visit the Ramona Grasslands and witness the Winter Migration of Hawks as well as our Resident Raptors. You will see raptors such as Golden Eagles, Red-tail Hawks and the wintering Ferruginous Hawks. Nineteen species of raptors have been recorded at this bird-watching hot-spot.

Learn about the hawks and the significance of the Ramona Grasslands as a wildlife corridor from WRI Biologists. This educational program is free and open to the public and rewarding for all ages.

HAWKWATCH is held every Saturday in January and February 2007. Only heavy rain cancels. Bring binoculars if you have them, however our biologists will have scopes for your use. Layer your clothes and wear walking or hiking shoes.

I know this eats into "caching time" but it still seemed like something y'all might be interested in... :( (You can always stop by FlagMan's Favorite Fishing Hole on the way back!)

Oh I just got one of those suckers for Christmas!

My Sirrus radio is suckered to the front windscreen too...opps!

By the way how does the GPS sit in the cradle/bracket, we can't work out how it stays in place.

Jane

quiet plug for Christmas Card Lane Cache, now up and running for this year, thanks to PQCachers prodding!

p.s. oh and there is a TB in it that wants to go to New Zealand

p.p.s I am going to England soon so if you have any TBs that want to go too, drop them in!

I"m heading to New Zealand on business in March but won't be able to get to Christmas Card lane until after Christmas. I'll check to see if it is still in the neighborhood when we return from Yosemite.

-Gecko Dad

'Tis the season for ... Kumeyaay Solstice Sunrise. This morning, I ran up Cowles at 0-dark-5:00 to see if I could observe the double sunrise a full six days before true solstice. We will be out of town for the real deal and it was going to be disappointing to miss my annual solstice site visit. Here is how the show looked at 6:49 am today.

Poor weather conditions are forecast for the weekend but next week there are likely to be at least one or two mornings when conditions will be prime for this very special event.

-GD

693a555a-e837-493b-b8d8-c40616f32918.jpg

[

I"m heading to New Zealand on business in March but won't be able to get to Christmas Card lane until after Christmas. I'll check to see if it is still in the neighborhood when we return from Yosemite.

-Gecko Dad

Thanks GD

I'll leave the TB in the cache for you unless another cacher takes it in the meantime.

ttfn Jane

Wazza'matter ya'll . . . . cat got your tongue?

I can't remember a time with so little traffic on the San Diego Boards.

Jeff

Well, it's slow everywhere, but not at the mall. <_<

We need someone to spice things up? Harmon? :ph34r:

a5716447-79d5-4102-87a0-5015f7eca6be.jpg

Spicing things up is a good idea. Losing three dear friends to cancer during the second half of this year, one just last night, is too much for words. Hanging out with old people has some drawbacks as well as some charms.

Harmon & Sandy

SD Rowdies

Just a hello and Happy Holdiays (Festivus included! ) to all my homies in SD. Thought you'd all get a kick out of this photo of my Andrew, my 4 month old, with his first ever geocache.

Yup...TucsonThompsen Mk. II. Cache #1!

59607dc5-3fb3-42ee-8fa9-1c1f610f5bf2.jpg

(Harmon...go easy on the photoshopping!)

--TT--

Gosh I'm glad to see the photo of your adorable son. One thing I know for sure is to show respect for baby photos. I can't resist little guys and gals.

Let me see now, what would look good on the eTrex display?

Thanks,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Anyone planning to celebrate Festivus (for the rest of us) this year?

I may make the pilgrimage to Happy Festivus just for the occasion. <_<:ph34r::wub:

Jeff

Ah, the holiday for the "rest of us."

No need to drive that far, Jeff, though FlagMan did last year. You can celebrate Festivus much closer to home by visiting Spaghetti & Meatballs, one of the traditional Festivus dinners.

Just a hello and Happy Holdiays (Festivus included! ) to all my homies in SD. Thought you'd all get a kick out of this photo of my Andrew, my 4 month old, with his first ever geocache.

Yup...TucsonThompsen Mk. II. Cache #1!

59607dc5-3fb3-42ee-8fa9-1c1f610f5bf2.jpg

(Harmon...go easy on the photoshopping!)

--TT--

My goodness, he's just precious! Thanks for sharing and a Merry Christmas to you, too! <_<

Anyone planning to celebrate Festivus (for the rest of us) this year?

I may make the pilgrimage to Happy Festivus just for the occasion. <_<:ph34r::wub:

Jeff

Ah, the holiday for the "rest of us."

No need to drive that far, Jeff, though FlagMan did last year. You can celebrate Festivus much closer to home by visiting Spaghetti & Meatballs, one of the traditional Festivus dinners.

There is also Festivus Has Gone Plastic?!? which is between between the two caches above. Perhaps, one could really celebrate the occasion and visit all three!

And on the subject of the upcoming holidays...

Whereas we, Let's Look Over Thayer, (hereinafter called "the wishor") wish to grant to you (hereinafter called "the wishee") season's greetings.

The wishor wishes the wishee to accept without obligation, whether explicit, implied or implicit, the wishor's best wishes (hereinafter called "the greeting") for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, politically correct, low stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious or secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all and a financially successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2007, but with due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures or sects whose contributions to society have helped make America great, (not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country or is the only "America" in the western hemisphere), and having regard to the species, race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform or dietary preference of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting the wishee is bound by these terms that:

This greeting is warranted to perform as reasonably may be expected within the usual application of good tidings, for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever shall first occur.

This greeting is subject to further clarification or withdrawal at the sole discretion of the wishor.

This greeting is freely transferable provided that no alteration shall be made to the original greeting and that the proprietary rights of the wishor are acknowledged.

This greeting implies no promise by the wishor to actually implement any of the wishes.

This greeting may not be enforceable in certain jurisdictions and/or the restrictions herein may not be binding upon certain wishees in certain jurisdictions and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wishor.

The wishor warrants this greeting only for the limited replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wishor.

The wishee accepts that the greeting is made on an execution-only basis and that if the wishor had had full details of the wishee's personal circumstances the wishes in the greeting might have been different.

Any use of the word "merry" shall not be taken to imply or encourage high or excessive intake of alcoholic beverages by the wishee or to imply that the wishee might or might wish to partake in any such intake.

Any references in this or any replacement or further greeting to "The Lord", "Father Christmas", "Our Saviour", "Santa Claus", "Rudolf" or any other festive figures, whether actual or fictitious, dead or alive, shall not imply any endorsement by or from them in respect of this greeting, and all proprietary rights in any referenced third party names and images are hereby acknowledged.

Whereas we, Let's Look Over Thayer, (hereinafter called "the wishor") wish to grant to you (hereinafter called "the wishee") season's greetings.

Somebody spent WAY too much time reading EULA's. :( But, as a wishee, I freely accept the above terms and convey said greeting back to the wishor.

Nice geocaching article in this week's edition of The Rancho Bernardo News Journal. Looks like the online version lags the print version though as of this moment:

http://mylocalnews.com/nws/

Lots of local interviews in it:

Joanne and Dave Fender

Pam Davis

Bob Fritz

Linda Carruthers

Carol Zelata (PQ Mommy)

I could only identify Carol from the real names...who else am I missing? Hopefully the article will be online soon!

-Tony

Nice geocaching article in this week's edition of The Rancho Bernardo News Journal. Looks like the online version lags the print version though as of this moment:

Joanne and Dave Fender

Pam Davis

Bob Fritz

Linda Carruthers

Carol Zelata (PQ Mommy)

I could only identify Carol from the real names...who else am I missing? Hopefully the article will be online soon!

-Tony

Lucky Kid & Proud Parents and k6ql are also represented.

Joanne and Dave Fender

Pam Davis

Bob Fritz

Linda Carruthers

Carol Zelata (PQ Mommy)

-Tony

Lucky Kid & Proud Parents and k6ql are also represented.

Linda Carruthers is "The Lost Clan"

Merry X-mas to you too.

The important thing is not to be politically correct, what's important is that you know what you are celebrating (X-mas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Festivus etc.). Believe it or not, most people are willing to respect that.

I celebrate X-mas!

We stopped by to visit with NIGHTHUNTER last night while he was busy with his annual Christmas

KettleCorn stand in front of his house. He sends greetings to everybody and wants you all to know

that he is still alive and kicking! His work hours are brutal and now he says he has to actually get some sleep, (must be getting old). He is trying to get back into caching, he misses it and everyone alot!

We also want to wish our very special 'geocaching family' out there a very,

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!

THE SPLASHES ;):)