The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Pretty cool D!,

You should start a thread in the TB forums with a reference to his page. It would be cool to see how many cachers "log" him on his trip. Can you give us the link to the TB tag? I'd llke to see how many "discover" him...he'd be kind of hard to drop in a cache. :rolleyes:

WTETW

GCZAM4

That's a good idea. Thanks, Dave!

D!

Pretty cool D!,

You should start a thread in the TB forums with a reference to his page. It would be cool to see how many cachers "log" him on his trip. Can you give us the link to the TB tag? I'd llke to see how many "discover" him...he'd be kind of hard to drop in a cache. :rolleyes:

WTETW

GCZAM4

That's a good idea. Thanks, Dave!

D!

I actually saw him walking through Ramona...That's good enough for a discovery isn't it?

I didn't get up close enough to see the TB tag though.

I got to 32 the first evening, but I've been a bit scared to go back... hehe. Parsa
I've been pecking away at weffriddles level by level whenever I get a few spare minutes. I hit level 32 today, and so far it is my favorite level! Very clever! :)
I've been working on these puzzles on and off and finally finished the last one tonight! Level 49 was my favorite! Here is the smiley that I got from doing all those puzzles: :)

Has anyone else seen GoogleEarthTweaker? It's a program that will convert your GPX files into a KML so that they display the appropriate icons when you bring them up in GoogleEarth. It's freeware and can be found at: GoogleEarthTweaker

It works pretty well except if your GPX file contains parking coordinates, they get converted into a regular cache icon.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Has anyone else seen GoogleEarthTweaker? It's a program that will convert your GPX files into a KML so that they display the appropriate icons when you bring them up in GoogleEarth. It's freeware and can be found at: GoogleEarthTweaker

It works pretty well except if your GPX file contains parking coordinates, they get converted into a regular cache icon.

Excellent! Thanks LLOT.

MapSource has a feature to open and send all your waypoints and tracks to Google Earth, but all the waypoints have the same icon. This utility creates the appropriate traditional, multi, CITO, etc... icon.

I will point out there is a problem with .gpx files created by EasyGPS. A kml file was created and G-E zooms in when I click on an icon, but the icon does not display on the map. From what I understand, EasyGPS strips file info when it creates gpx files. This may explain it. I had no problem with a gpx file created by GSAK.

Woo hoo! My Anza-Borrego coin is here and beautiful!!! I've got one on eBay for auction but I'll have the website ordering page available tomorrow. I'll post the link here when I've got it done.

:laughing: Just wanted to share my excitement tonight. :laughing:

San Diego cachers...do NOT pay thru the nose on eBay. I will have coins available for $10 online by Wednesday. That includes shipping and a $1 donation to the Anza-Borrego Desert Natural History Association.

Update

The webpage is done and the coins are for sale at www.mygeoswag.com

Edited by Caching Widow

I just got my Etrex Legend CX and love it! I havent found any caches yet, but I am here in Chula Vista in Otay Lakes and downloaded a few near me. If anyone is in the 91913 area shoot me a message. I would love to go out. I also do Mountain Biking with my GPS.

I just got my Etrex Legend CX and love it! I havent found any caches yet, but I am here in Chula Vista in Otay Lakes and downloaded a few near me. If anyone is in the 91913 area shoot me a message. I would love to go out. I also do Mountain Biking with my GPS.

If you have a high clearance vehicle, you should join us tomorrow for the Bear Valley Loop. You'll have a bunch of awesome teachers to show you the ropes! Check out the events thread for more details.

Robyn :anibad:

Bummer, just went mtn biking to finish up the Border Park area. Still have several on Mother Miguel Mtn, but biking may not be the best approach, unless you plan on pushing your bike most of the way :anibad: .

Edited by Chuy!

Side issue:

Apologies for the late notice but my PC is still nothing more than an anchor at the moment.

Tiff and I will be heading back to Australia departing Wednesday. While there we are hosting a geocoin event this Friday. GCYT4H

Our home cache is currently down so we're drawing on Tiffette #2's Cache GCRX7C.

Coins or palm size TB's that need a lift to the Southern hemisphere need to be in GCRX7C by 0000 Wednesday.

Hopefully by the time we get back we will have passed 500..

Edited by Pioneer 'n' Tiff

Hello San Diego Cachers! Is this your one and only discussion forum or do you have a SDcachers.com somewhere with a BBS running. Anyway, I am trying to let everyone know that the GPS Cachers are hosting the Greater Palm Springs Geocache Event #2 on Saturday January 20, 2007. We are still hammering out the details, including location, but we should have that all worked out soon, and I am planning to have the event listed by 12/1/06. Hope to see ya here!

-=BRI=-

After visitin' wit' Team Duckit this weekend I be sold on tha idea o' paperless caching. I liked tha unit he had (Palm Tungsten T3), but figger'd I'd ask all ye scallywags ifn' ye have any other PDA's ta suggest? Due to me pyratical vision, I be likin' tha color screen 'cuz it be eazy on me good eye! Gramercy fer yer help lads an' lassies. Arrrrr.

After visitin' wit' Team Duckit this weekend I be sold on tha idea o' paperless caching. I liked tha unit he had (Palm Tungsten T3), but figger'd I'd ask all ye scallywags ifn' ye have any other PDA's ta suggest? Due to me pyratical vision, I be likin' tha color screen 'cuz it be eazy on me good eye! Gramercy fer yer help lads an' lassies. Arrrrr.

Too funny Barbados.

As fer me, I put small boodie for PDA on EBay.... awwwwww good anchorage here.

I haven't scratched me eyes with me hook yet, so ye got 2 good eyes. I found a Palm VIIx, it's not a fancy color but for little quid while anchored in EBay

Arrrr Matey! I would check out Craigslist. There are lots of deals on Palm Pilots. Because Craigslist is local, you can go see the Palm Pilot before you buy it! :P

Pre-registration has started for GeocoinFest 2007.

There is no cost to attend the event, but we have 250 goodie bags available for everyone that pre-registers. The bags will have a T-Shirt, a trackable event coin, a ticket to find a cache on site that will get you another coin, (that you can only get by playing the game), an event pin, patch, and other goodies!

The bags are $15 each.

If you are interested, Click Here.

I was able to pick up a Palm Zire 72S from craigslist. It has been a good palm for caching.

Happy Thanksgiving from Sedona AZ.

3cb1665e-9890-4993-95c9-c6493858575e.jpg

No, cache isn't up there, it was behind me.

Nice picture. It looks like Devils Sink on Soldier Pass Trail.

Dave, you are correct. The cache is called Keys To The Kitchen.

This sink hole is pretty amazing, it is hard to see the bottom unless you get up to the edge. I heard a guide say that some chunks had broken off in the last 10 years, I guess that makes it relatively active?

Overall, Sedona has been wonderful this last week. We have been hiking all over the place and absolutely enjoying the warm to cool weather. I definitely recommend this area.

I was able to pick up a Palm Zire 72S from craigslist. It has been a good palm for caching.

Sam,

The big thing to check for is how well you can read the display in sunlight. Darned near any of the Palm or Pocket PC models will host Cachemate software but you'll spend some time lookiing for shade so's you can read the displayed data. With practice you'll discover that holding the PDA at a just-so angle to the sun allows you to get the job done.

Another issue is that you will need to acquire an installation of GSAK software for your PC. Twenty bucks for GSAK and eight bucks for Cachemate is the whole deal for specialized software.

An online purchase of a PDA can run anywhere between thirty and several-hundred dollars depending on the non-Geocaching features you want.

Finally you must become familiar with Geocaching Pocket Queries, perhaps you have already mastered that feature.

O yeah, I forgot, ... arrr, avast, shiver me timbers, whatever. :laughing:

Harmon

:laughing: Did you all notice that even though Marko Ramius is out of town eating turkey that we still get the near-instant approval of our caches submitted? I can only surmise that our dear Marko set that all up. We are so spoiled aren't we??

Thanks Westcoastadmin, Nomex and whoever else stepped in in Marko's absence. We really appreciate it. r/ JnJ

Edited by jahoadi and john
:laughing: Did you all notice that even though Marko Ramius is out of town eating turkey that we still get the near-instant approval of our caches submitted? I can only surmise that our dear Marko set that all up. We are so spoiled aren't we??

Thanks Westcoastadmin, Nomex and whoever else stepped in in Marko's absence. We really appreciate it. r/ JnJ

Nomex? Is that a new guy?

I don't know..there was a 3rd person approving this weekend also..it was really amazing...

Nomex is a NorCal reviewer. He think he started reviewing caches a little after the time that Marko did...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Sam,

The big thing to check for is how well you can read the display in sunlight. Darned near any of the Palm or Pocket PC models will host Cachemate software but you'll spend some time lookiing for shade so's you can read the displayed data. With practice you'll discover that holding the PDA at a just-so angle to the sun allows you to get the job done.

Another issue is that you will need to acquire an installation of GSAK software for your PC. Twenty bucks for GSAK and eight bucks for Cachemate is the whole deal for specialized software.

An online purchase of a PDA can run anywhere between thirty and several-hundred dollars depending on the non-Geocaching features you want.

Finally you must become familiar with Geocaching Pocket Queries, perhaps you have already mastered that feature.

O yeah, I forgot, ... arrr, avast, shiver me timbers, whatever. :laughing:

Harmon

Aye laddie! Gramercy to you an' tha others fer yer input. So far I be leanin' towards tha Palm Tungsten T3. I liked Team Duckit's layout and really liked the big color screen, but I didn't check it out in sunlight to see how easy it was to read. Does anyone use the Garmin iQue??

Sam,

Finally you must become familiar with Geocaching Pocket Queries, perhaps you have already mastered that feature. O yeah, I forgot, ... arrr, avast, shiver me timbers, whatever. :laughing: Harmon

Aye laddie! Gramercy to you an' tha others fer yer input. So far I be leanin' towards tha Palm Tungsten T3. I liked Team Duckit's layout and really liked the big color screen, but I didn't check it out in sunlight to see how easy it was to read. Does anyone use the Garmin iQue??
Aye Matey! I have a Garmin iQue! I got a great deal on it off eBay! pirateig4.gif

Sam,

Finally you must become familiar with Geocaching Pocket Queries, perhaps you have already mastered that feature. O yeah, I forgot, ... arrr, avast, shiver me timbers, whatever. :laughing: Harmon

Aye Matey! I have a Garmin iQue! I got a great deal on it off eBay! pirateig4.gif

Hey Pat,

Does Cachemate run on your Garmin iQue? Don't see it mentioned on the Smittyware site. Maybe I'm reading too much into this branch of the conversation or maybe I'm about to learn something.

O yeah, ... avast, a-r-r-r, shiver-me-timbers, whatever. If this keeps up then I'm going back to cowboy-talk. Y'all ....

Har-r-r-r-mon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Sam,

Finally you must become familiar with Geocaching Pocket Queries, perhaps you have already mastered that feature. O yeah, I forgot, ... arrr, avast, shiver me timbers, whatever. :P Harmon

Hey Pat,

Does Cachemate run on your Garmin iQue? Don't see it mentioned on the Smittyware site. Maybe I'm reading too much into this branch of the conversation or maybe I'm about to learn something.

O yeah, ... avast, a-r-r-r, shiver-me-timbers, whatever. If this keeps up then I'm going back to cowboy-talk. Y'all ....

Har-r-r-r-mon

Yes Harmon! Cachemate runs and it runs super fast on my iQue! :D

:laughing::laughing: Hey where's Trailgators?....I miss logging on and seeing all his forum posts.... jodi

I'm still here Jodi! I've just been really busy! The youngest of my young-ins got his driver's permit so I have been showing him the ropes. We have also been running him from hockey practice to volleyball practice to hockey games and volleyball tournaments. Aside from all that I am trying to get my Xmas shopping done, get the tree up the outside lights up. On top of that we had to get all three cars in for an oil change, two for a smog check, one for brakes and one for a blown tire this past month. Plus I was up in San Juan Capristrano this past weekend and the five us ate at a Mexican restaurant....let's just say they should rename the restaurant to "Sam and Ellas!" It got all five of us us really bad, so that put me behind for a few days. Anyhow, I can't wait until I'm all caught up! :laughing: Edited by TrailGators
:laughing::laughing: Hey where's Trailgators?....I miss logging on and seeing all his forum posts.... jodi

I'm still here Jodi! I've just been really busy! The youngest of my young-ins got his driver's permit so I have been showing him the ropes. We have also been running him from hockey practice to volleyball practice to hockey games and volleyball tournaments. Aside from all that I am trying to get my Xmas shopping done, get the tree up the outside lights up. On top of that we had to get all three cars in for an oil change, two for a smog check, one for brakes and one for a blown tire this past month. I can't wait until I'm all caught up! :laughing:

Knock all that junk off and get back to caching. ;)

I'm still here Jodi! I've just been really busy! The youngest of my young-ins got his driver's permit so I have been showing him the ropes. We have also been running him from hockey practice to volleyball practice to hockey games and volleyball tournaments. Aside from all that I am trying to get my Xmas shopping done, get the tree up the outside lights up. On top of that we had to get all three cars in for an oil change, two for a smog check, one for brakes and one for a blown tire this past month. Plus I was up in San Juan Capristrano this past weekend and the five us ate at a Mexican restaurant....let's just say they should rename the restaurant to "Sam and Ellas!" It got all five of us us really bad, so that put me behind for a few days. Anyhow, I can't wait until I'm all caught up! ;)

Knock all that junk off and get back to caching. ;)

What's that? :(

Tell 'em Dave, how "Sam and Ella's" is your favorite restaurant in San Juan Capistrano! :laughing:

Edited by TrailGators

I'm still here Jodi! I've just been really busy! The youngest of my young-ins got his driver's permit so I have been showing him the ropes. We have also been running him from hockey practice to volleyball practice to hockey games and volleyball tournaments. Aside from all that I am trying to get my Xmas shopping done, get the tree up the outside lights up. On top of that we had to get all three cars in for an oil change, two for a smog check, one for brakes and one for a blown tire this past month. Plus I was up in San Juan Capristrano this past weekend and the five us ate at a Mexican restaurant....let's just say they should rename the restaurant to "Sam and Ellas!" It got all five of us us really bad, so that put me behind for a few days. Anyhow, I can't wait until I'm all caught up! ;)

:laughing:;):( Stop!! You're making me tired just listening. I wish some of that honey-do motivation would wear off on John!! I'm fixin' to call Jim the Handyman as referred by the Jamul Hardware Store. No Xmas lites for us since John is moving right after the New Year and I'm not climbing up that high to take them down!! r/jodi

:laughing:;):( Stop!! You're making me tired just listening. I wish some of that honey-do motivation would wear off on John!! I'm fixin' to call Jim the Handyman as referred by the Jamul Hardware Store. No Xmas lites for us since John is moving right after the New Year and I'm not climbing up that high to take them down!! r/jodi

I'm still honey-not-done-yet. Where is John moving?

B):huh: Hey where's Trailgators?....I miss logging on and seeing all his forum posts.... jodi

I'm still here Jodi! I've just been really busy! The youngest of my young-ins got his driver's permit so I have been showing him the ropes. We have also been running him from hockey practice to volleyball practice to hockey games and volleyball tournaments. Aside from all that I am trying to get my Xmas shopping done, get the tree up the outside lights up. On top of that we had to get all three cars in for an oil change, two for a smog check, one for brakes and one for a blown tire this past month. Plus I was up in San Juan Capristrano this past weekend and the five us ate at a Mexican restaurant....let's just say they should rename the restaurant to "Sam and Ellas!" It got all five of us us really bad, so that put me behind for a few days. Anyhow, I can't wait until I'm all caught up! :(

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Stop!! You're making me tired just listening. I wish some of that honey-do motivation would wear off on John!! I'm fixin' to call Jim the Handyman as referred by the Jamul Hardware Store. No Xmas lites for us since John is moving right after the New Year and I'm not climbing up that high to take them down!! r/jodi

;);) Lovely Fallon NV...I bet he won't keep his one-a-day streak going up there!!!

:huh::o Hey where's Trailgators?....I miss logging on and seeing all his forum posts.... jodi

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Stop!! You're making me tired just listening. I wish some of that honey-do motivation would wear off on John!! I'm fixin' to call Jim the Handyman as referred by the Jamul Hardware Store. No Xmas lites for us since John is moving right after the New Year and I'm not climbing up that high to take them down!! r/jodi

;)B) Lovely Fallon NV...I bet he won't keep his one-a-day streak going up there!!!
I guess you'll have to pick up the ball.... :( How long is he there for?
:ph34r::( Hey where's Trailgators?....I miss logging on and seeing all his forum posts.... jodi

I'm still here Jodi! I've just been really busy! The youngest of my young-ins got his driver's permit so I have been showing him the ropes. We have also been running him from hockey practice to volleyball practice to hockey games and volleyball tournaments. Aside from all that I am trying to get my Xmas shopping done, get the tree up the outside lights up. On top of that we had to get all three cars in for an oil change, two for a smog check, one for brakes and one for a blown tire this past month. Plus I was up in San Juan Capristrano this past weekend and the five us ate at a Mexican restaurant....let's just say they should rename the restaurant to "Sam and Ellas!" It got all five of us us really bad, so that put me behind for a few days. Anyhow, I can't wait until I'm all caught up! :(
:(:(:( Stop!! You're making me tired just listening. I wish some of that honey-do motivation would wear off on John!! I'm fixin' to call Jim the Handyman as referred by the Jamul Hardware Store. No Xmas lites for us since John is moving right after the New Year and I'm not climbing up that high to take them down!! r/jodi

:(:tired: Lovely Fallon NV...I bet he won't keep his one-a-day streak going up there!!!
I guess you'll have to pick up the ball.... :( How long is he there for?

:( 2 years...