The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

...I did log a locationless twice...

My first locationless cache was one where all you needed to do was to take a picture of yourself/GPSr with a US flag. There was no restriction on the number of times you could log this cache as long as it wasn't the same flag. I logged it only once -- I figured "Been there, done that, next..."

There was a guy that went out and photographed himself with 40 or 50 different flags -- and logged every last one. All perfectly legit, but sheesh, how many times can you do this before it gets old? :tired:

...I did log a locationless twice...

My first locationless cache was one where all you needed to do was to take a picture of yourself/GPSr with a US flag. There was no restriction on the number of times you could log this cache as long as it wasn't the same flag. I logged it only once -- I figured "Been there, done that, next..."

There was a guy that went out and photographed himself with 40 or 50 different flags -- and logged every last one. All perfectly legit, but sheesh, how many times can you do this before it gets old? :tired:

I guess it doesn't take much to entertain some people..... :blink:

Here's something else I've been pondering and thought it might prompt some interesting conversation.

I want to place a cache or two in areas that get lots of out-of-town visitors. A cache to highlight something special about San Diego. I know when I visit somewhere I like to find caches in touristy places, or places that highlight the great spots of that area, but ones that are easy to get to. I live close to Mission Bay, so I was thinking about putting one down there. I'd prefer to place a small container rather than a micro, even.

But here's my dilemma. I'm lazy. I don't want to do a lot of replacement or maintenance of caches that are constantly being muggled. And face it, if it is in a place that out-of-towners go to, it is probably a high-traffic area, and it has a high risk of disappearing. I note that there aren't many caches on the PB beachfront, for example. I imagine it has been tried in the past and they have failed. And in just the short time I've been caching I've watched a bunch of Mission Bay caches disappear.

So either you can put a cache in a place that is hard to get to and only a few people will go get it, or you can put it in a place that gets lots of finders and then it will disappear within 6 months. Good thing everyone isn't as cynical and lazy as me!

Here's something else I've been pondering and thought it might prompt some interesting conversation.

I want to place a cache or two in areas that get lots of out-of-town visitors. A cache to highlight something special about San Diego. I know when I visit somewhere I like to find caches in touristy places, or places that highlight the great spots of that area, but ones that are easy to get to. I live close to Mission Bay, so I was thinking about putting one down there. I'd prefer to place a small container rather than a micro, even.

But here's my dilemma. I'm lazy. I don't want to do a lot of replacement or maintenance of caches that are constantly being muggled. And face it, if it is in a place that out-of-towners go to, it is probably a high-traffic area, and it has a high risk of disappearing. I note that there aren't many caches on the PB beachfront, for example. I imagine it has been tried in the past and they have failed. And in just the short time I've been caching I've watched a bunch of Mission Bay caches disappear.

So either you can put a cache in a place that is hard to get to and only a few people will go get it, or you can put it in a place that gets lots of finders and then it will disappear within 6 months. Good thing everyone isn't as cynical and lazy as me!

Sheesh! You sure make it difficult for yourself.

You could make it a two part multi with the first point in the high traffic area and the final a short distance away but less traveled area.

You could make it a two part multi with the first point in the high traffic area and the final a short distance away but less traveled area.

Hey, here's a thought, make it a two-part multi where the actual container is somebody else's existing cache. That should cut the maintenance way down. :laughing:

Hey, here's a thought, make it a two-part multi where the actual container is somebody else's existing cache. That should cut the maintenance way down. :laughing:

Maybe! But most everyone skips multicaches.

I think what I'll do is find the perfect Mission Bay location and it will be so well-hidden, it'll never get muggled. :unsure: Like...like... "Don't fear the reaper!" or "The Crown Jewels are Missing!"

Actually, (still talking Mission Bay), "FATTBOYS LATEST LAME CACHE" has never been muggled to my knowledge.

I need some help? I got the zip file opened so how do I transfer it to the page where you go when you click on It's not about the numbers! ? :laughing::unsure::blink:

Double-click on the zip file then grab the main gpx file inside (not the waypoints one) and drag it to your desktop. Then do what RJB said and go and select that file with the online application.

Actually, it works just fine by uploading the entire zip file...

I need some help? I got the zip file opened so how do I transfer it to the page where you go when you click on It's not about the numbers! ? :laughing::unsure::blink:

Double-click on the zip file then grab the main gpx file inside (not the waypoints one) and drag it to your desktop. Then do what RJB said and go and select that file with the online application.

Thanks Tom.

Recently I picked up a TB that visited several caches in Iraq before returning to the US. It's fascinating to read some of the cache pages from over there. Its a whole different perspective on what we go through in the pursuit of our sport:

Be very careful, broken glass, debris, and security.
It also qualifies for moderately dangerous. There’s a lot of high horse-powered and heavily armored vehicles crossing on top. The side approach is a little precarious. The waterborne approach is probably infested with diseases, snakes and those worm things that go up your rectum.
When at the cache site, you can imagine some old Iraqi Republican Guard trying to fight with the battle tanks of the 3rd ID that came through this area.
GENERAL RULES FOR CACHING IN IRAQ: This cache is in a war zone. It is on a coalition controlled installation; you will need "credentials" to gain access to the area or you may contact the Public Affairs office for Multi National Forces Iraq (MNFI). Mortars and rockets impact near it. Do not post logs that give any references to what is around it; this might help the rocketeers aim a little better.
Recently I picked up a TB that visited several caches in Iraq before returning to the US. It's fascinating to read some of the cache pages from over there. Its a whole different perspective on what we go through in the pursuit of our sport:

It also qualifies for moderately dangerous. There's a lot of high horse-powered and heavily armored vehicles crossing on top. The side approach is a little precarious. The waterborne approach is probably infested with diseases, snakes and those worm things that go up your rectum.
When at the cache site, you can imagine some old Iraqi Republican Guard trying to fight with the battle tanks of the 3rd ID that came through this area.
GENERAL RULES FOR CACHING IN IRAQ: This cache is in a war zone. It is on a coalition controlled installation; you will need "credentials" to gain access to the area or you may contact the Public Affairs office for Multi National Forces Iraq (MNFI). Mortars and rockets impact near it. Do not post logs that give any references to what is around it; this might help the rocketeers aim a little better.

I really like the bottom guys name: Al Tahreer! :(:):P:mad:

It also qualifies for moderately dangerous. There's a lot of high horse-powered and heavily armored vehicles crossing on top. The side approach is a little precarious. The waterborne approach is probably infested with diseases, snakes and those worm things that go up your rectum.

I really like the bottom guys name: Al Tahreer! :P:mad::):(

"Worm things"!?!? And to think I was worried about Rattlesnakes.

I need some help? I got the zip file opened so how do I transfer it to the page where you go when you click on It's not about the numbers! ? :mad::):(

Thanks Tom.

Thanks everybody, I'll have my son help me after he reads this.

I need some help? I got the zip file opened so how do I transfer it to the page where you go when you click on It's not about the numbers! ? :mad::):(

Thanks Tom.

Thanks everybody, I'll have my son help me after he reads this.

We got it to work,thanks it is cool.

We stopped on our way up to Ramona today and chatted with the Radical Geezer alongside Hwy. 67.

He and his group had stopped about 1/2 thru the first leg to take a breather. He is the one walking to Washington DC gathering signatures on a petition to end the war in Iraq. He is still the same Radical Geezer we all know from caching and has just decided to 'DO' something. Agree with his mission or not, we admire his dedication to his cause. We took a couple of pics, he is the one in the center with the long sleeve white shirt on, the other includes his walking pals and family.

Have a safe journey, Bill!

The Splashes

We stopped on our way up to Ramona today and chatted with the Radical Geezer alongside Hwy-67.

He and his group had stopped about 1/2 thru the first leg to take a breather. He is the one walking to Washington DC gathering signatures on a petition to end the war in Iraq. He is still the same Radical Geezer we all know from caching and has just decided to 'DO' something. Agree with his mission or not, we admire his dedication to his cause. We took a couple of pics, he is the one in the center with the long sleeve white shirt on, the other includes his walking pals and family.

The Splashes

66b04903-6fee-4c3b-aa22-499228f932a4.jpg

883d0ab5-2176-47e1-a7aa-3013799d2338.jpg

Posted photos for Splashette's message.

Go Geezer!

We stopped on our way up to Ramona today and chatted with the Radical Geezer alongside Hwy. 67.

The Splashes

In today's North County Times there is an articial about RG's walk.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/11/05...1_2311_4_06.txt

The Spashes are mentioned being at his send off.

If interested, here is a link to follow RG's adventure.

www.wtetw.com

I was wondering... if you start walking in Kanas would it be - A walk across 1/2 America? :D

GrnZoom

Say, who created the BikeDog memorial coin? It is a wonderful tribute. I found an unactivated one in a cache recently and am happy to release it in his memory. Thanks for creating it.

As I recollect, Cornerstone4 put this together along with PassingWind...

bikedog also had a smashed penny.

http://bikedog.geocoin.net/

And don't forget the Bikedog Memorial Series of Yrium Cards...

3a8d1be1-1e7b-4722-9102-841c239ff883.jpg

15d8c364-0477-48a4-a734-dfc5090a56f2.jpg

f959b015-eb73-4d48-964d-f2f1034dc71c.jpg

3e239203-1446-409e-b6fe-391645418cef.jpg

a84c44db-eea4-4cd6-8087-57f22fae38d5.jpg

a35bdc87-58f8-4a99-9311-66faf427fb45.jpg

Edited by FlagMan

Side issue:

Over the weekend my PC has had a major crash and the tech's initial report is a motherboard failure. With our upcoming trip back to Australia the repair has to be put off, and consequently I have dragged out my stalwart reliable Windows 98 SE to tied me through.

Problem is - I was using Easy GPS to download waypoints which requires an XP system.

Some guidance on an appropriate download for Windows 98 so I don't have to manually enter waypoints would be appreciated.

Side issue:

Over the weekend my PC has had a major crash and the tech's initial report is a motherboard failure. With our upcoming trip back to Australia the repair has to be put off, and consequently I have dragged out my stalwart reliable Windows 98 SE to tied me through.

Problem is - I was using Easy GPS to download waypoints which requires an XP system.

Some guidance on an appropriate download for Windows 98 so I don't have to manually enter waypoints would be appreciated.

Have you tried GSAK? Although I don't know if the new version runs on 98, might be worth a try.

Side issue:

Have you tried GSAK? Although I don't know if the new version runs on 98, might be worth a try.

Garmin Mapsource runs on 98. I prefer to upload waypoints to my GPS using Mapsource because I like to see the map area that I am uploading to my GPS.

Say, who created the BikeDog memorial coin? It is a wonderful tribute. I found an unactivated one in a cache recently and am happy to release it in his memory. Thanks for creating it.

As I recollect, Cornerstone4 put this together along with PassingWind...

Passing Wind's wife, Caching Widow put together the artwork for the coin.

I had it manufactured at Coins&Pins, and handled the distribution of the coins.

Thanks for moving it along. If you need help activating it, let me know.

Side issue:

I was using EasyGPS fine on my W98 600MHz Dell until I got my laptop. I still have the computer; if I have the earyly version exe file, I can email it to you.

But as TrailGators suggest, MapSource should work for you. Especially now that it supports loc and gpx files. Plus, what I really like, is that it will open and transfer all your waypoints and tracks into Google Earth, if you have it installed. I wouldn't put it on W98 as it will bog your computer. Let me know on W98 E-GPS exe file.

For those of you that aren't into night caching, I have something that can eat up all of your evening hours! B)

It's a live webcam over-looking a watering hole in South Africa. There is a troop of baboons living right nearby, so when it is night over there, you can hear them howling once in a while. The time where the camera is is 10 hours ahead of us, so the sun is rising there between 7-7:30PM for us. It's a great time to watch. Even though you don't see much at that time, the gain on the microphone is turned up so high that you really hear all the bird activity.

It is real distracting, since I constantly check it to see if there are any animals at the hole! I have seen the baboons, zebra, antelope, giraffe, water buffalo, and several different type of birds.

Be careful, you might get hooked! :(

Live Africam

Edited to add: Someone has control over it, since it pans and zooms from time to time.

Now, we just need someone to make it a webcam cache so we can see cachers when they go there! :rolleyes:

Edited by Cornerstone4

For those of you that aren't into night caching, I have something that can eat up all of your evening hours! B)

It's a live webcam over-looking a watering hole in South Africa. There is a troop of baboons living right nearby, so when it is night over there, you can hear them howling once in a while. The time where the camera is is 10 hours ahead of us, so the sun is rising there between 7-7:30PM for us. It's a great time to watch. Even though you don't see much at that time, the gain on the microphone is turned up so high that you really hear all the bird activity.

It is real distracting, since I constantly check it to see if there are any animals at the hole! I have seen the baboons, zebra, antelope, giraffe, water buffalo, and several different type of birds.

Be careful, you might get hooked! :)

Live Africam

Edited to add: Someone has control over it, since it pans and zooms from time to time.

Now, we just need someone to make it a webcam cache so we can see cachers when they go there! :)

Cool! There's several animals out right now. I wish I could turn the sound on but it's 6am and I don't want to wake the fam. Thanks for sharing this!

Cool! There's several animals out right now. I wish I could turn the sound on but it's 6am and I don't want to wake the fam. Thanks for sharing this!

I had the site on in the background, and I just heard a lot of noise...clicked over, and there was a VERY large herd of water buffalo going through! :) (Well, the camera just zoomed in, and it is some type of cattle, but I'm not sure what.)

Edited to say: Ok, they are water buffalo. The females don't have the big growth on their heads.

Edited by Cornerstone4

I had the site on in the background, and I just heard a lot of noise...clicked over, and there was a VERY large herd of water buffalo going through! :) (Well, the camera just zoomed in, and it is some type of cattle, but I'm not sure what.)

Edited to say: Ok, they are water buffalo. The females don't have the big growth on their heads.

Hey I saw a water buffalo! B) I also saw this! :)

c239fc77-969d-4282-8d7a-19dd678127c4.jpg

Edited by TrailGators

Hey I saw a water buffalo! :) I also saw this! B)

c239fc77-969d-4282-8d7a-19dd678127c4.jpg

Pat,

Y' beat me to it except I was waiting on a wider view so's I could drop FATTBOY into the middle of the pond.

I already knew I had one duplicate. I logged a cache again after it was adopted and relocated 200 feet or so. Isn't that legit?

I never log a cache twice as a find. If a cache has moved and I go back and find it in its new place, I log it as a note. Others see nothing wrong with logging it as a new find. There is a reasonable argument to be made for either position. As far as I'm concerned, this is one of those cases where you can decide for yourself what rules you want to play by.

Edit: I checked out the date feature and I have found 82% of my caches on the weekend. March is my main caching month. I've done my least amount of caching in May.

The date feature tells me that I need to get out more on Wednesdays! :unsure:

"Based on your overall rate of 0.08 finds per day, you'll find number 200 around 12/21/08 and the big 1000 around 5/08/36."

Watch for me -- I'll try to log my 1K via Ouija Board :mad:

I already knew I had one duplicate. I logged a cache again after it was adopted and relocated 200 feet or so. Isn't that legit?

I never log a cache twice as a find. If a cache has moved and I go back and find it in its new place, I log it as a note. Others see nothing wrong with logging it as a new find. There is a reasonable argument to be made for either position. As far as I'm concerned, this is one of those cases where you can decide for yourself what rules you want to play by.

Edit: I checked out the date feature and I have found 82% of my caches on the weekend. March is my main caching month. I've done my least amount of caching in May.

The date feature tells me that I need to get out more on Wednesdays! :o

"Based on your overall rate of 0.08 finds per day, you'll find number 200 around 12/21/08 and the big 1000 around 5/08/36."

Watch for me -- I'll try to log my 1K via Ouija Board :o

Someone remind me to post a congrats in the Congrats thread for M2... in about 30 years... :unsure::mad:

And now to something different...

Is it me or... For the past week or two I've had a real problem zeroing in with my GPSr - I'm off 50 ft or so - or I stand still at GZ and it slowly counts down to 0 from 20-30 ft off etc. I just have a hard time to get a good fix fast. I remember this happened to me in the spring for a few weeks and then it went away. This problem is all over the city where I've been caching Santee - La Mesa - Clairemont so I know it's not a local problem.

Anybody else with the same problem, or any solution/suggestion?

And now to something different...

Is it me or... For the past week or two I've had a real problem zeroing in with my GPSr - I'm off 50 ft or so - or I stand still at GZ and it slowly counts down to 0 from 20-30 ft off etc. I just have a hard time to get a good fix fast. I remember this happened to me in the spring for a few weeks and then it went away. This problem is all over the city where I've been caching Santee - La Mesa - Clairemont so I know it's not a local problem.

Anybody else with the same problem, or any solution/suggestion?

Check for my response over on the Banter thread.

Hey Now!

I caught up with Bill (Radical Geezer) in the desert today. I hid a cache in his honor (GCZAM4) and even made him a travel bug... him! He thought it was very funny. I got very lucky and caught up to him just as he was approaching our CITO sign...

84208b11-2731-44e5-919b-cf1c221fe0eb.jpg

His pack is about 40 lbs, looks like he'll be roughin' it for awhile...

D!