The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Here's an interesting email I got this morning . . . .

In a message dated 10/22/2006 4:08:56 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, fat-stud2@hotmail.com writes:

All those prizes that you won. It was all rigged just like the bush

election, bush sucks. politel, the geocaching event was awesome but your

attitude dragged it down for some people.

;):PAttitude? Drexotic? What? Well...he was a little late getting up Sunday morning .... we had to bumm hot water from someone else!! B);)

Who ever this guy is I'm sure glad I didn't meet him at the CampOut. :laughing: I thought there were some great Cachers there and they were all friendly. B):D:D Did this guy even attend? ;):wub: He must be afraid to give his Caching name. B)

I'm hoping he had such a rotten time that he'll never come again. We don't need any party poopers or cry-babies. :D

I personally think the event was well planned and had tons of friendly people and it amazes me how each event gets better and better.

Edited by Toby's Gang
I got to 32 the first evening, but I've been a bit scared to go back... hehe. Parsa
I've been pecking away at weffriddles level by level whenever I get a few spare minutes. I hit level 32 today, and so far it is my favorite level! Very clever! :laughing:

NURLO!

some people have a life and take some time to sleep, cache, eat, etc. (anyone have a touchtone phone????)

Edited by The Dillon Gang

Did anybody read the San Diego Union this morning before they went caching???

Check out section B, front page. I don't know if the whole county gets the same 'B' page, but East County does. ANYWAY~~

Does anyone remember Radical Geezer???? He lives in Lakeside and is about to go on a little walk across the US to DC to gather signatures to protest the war in Iraq! He is selling everything he owns to do it!

We thought he looked familiar! His cache 'There's Gold in Them Thar Hills' is right next to his house.

You can probably get the article on line if it isn't in your Sunday paper.

Quite the quest.

The Splashes :blink::ph34r:

Check out section B, front page. I don't know if the whole county gets the same 'B' page, but East County does. ANYWAY~~

Does anyone remember Radical Geezer???? He lives in Lakeside and is about to go on a little walk across the US to DC to gather signatures to protest the war in Iraq! He is selling everything he owns to do it!

We thought he looked familiar! His cache 'There's Gold in Them Thar Hills' is right next to his house.

Quite the quest.

I wonder what he wants for his jeep? :ph34r:

Quite the quest.

I wonder what he wants for his jeep? :ph34r:
:ph34r:

Quite the quest.

The Splashes :D:D

WOW! just read that story over breakfast, but had no idea it was Radical Geezer as I have never met him. Maybe we can make him a travel bug. Ouch, that was bad, wasn't it.

There's Gold in Them Hills was my first cache find.

Kudos to him for doing something he believes in.

Quite the quest.

The Splashes :D:D

WOW! just read that story over breakfast, but had no idea it was Radical Geezer as I have never met him. Maybe we can make him a travel bug. Ouch, that was bad, wasn't it.

There's Gold in Them Hills was my first cache find.

Kudos to him for doing something he believes in.

I cached with RG back in Anza-Borrego a couple of years ago. Nice guy. Here's a link to the article: Protestor will walk the walk

Quite the quest. The Splashes :D:D

WOW! just read that story over breakfast, but had no idea it was Radical Geezer as I have never met him. Maybe we can make him a travel bug. Ouch, that was bad, wasn't it. There's Gold in Them Hills was my first cache find. Kudos to him for doing something he believes in.
I cached with RG back in Anza-Borrego a couple of years ago. Nice guy. Here's a link to the article: Protestor will walk the walk
Thanks for the link Duncan. This quote from the article sums it up for me: "I'm not saying I agree with him, but you have to admire what he's doing," McGlynn said.

I'm just wondering what would really happen if we suddenly pulled out....

Thanks for the link Duncan. This quote from the article sums it up for me: "I'm not saying I agree with him, but you have to admire what he's doing," McGlynn said.

There's a fairly large number of Iraqis, mostly Chaldeans who've been granted asylum, living in East County. I wonder what their take is on a US pull-out, and on RadicalGeezer's walk, for that matter.

There's a fairly large number of Iraqis, mostly Chaldeans who've been granted asylum, living in East County. I wonder what their take is on a US pull-out, and on RadicalGeezer's walk, for that matter.

Remember it's never a good idea to talk religion or politics among friends.

Remember it's never a good idea to talk religion or politics among friends.

delete

Edited by Toby's Gang
I've been meaning to ask, what are the geocaching placement rules around here? It appears you can place them in parks like MTRP, Penasquitos and Anza Borrego, but not in Cuyamaca park. And what about County parks like Heise?
You need to check the geocaching rules and cache placement guidelines for each park online. SDRP requires a form be submitted and approved. They have a website that explains the process. Just google for it. I don't know what the rules are for Heise but I'm pretty sure you have to get approval from the rangers for that park as well. Cuyamaca caches must submitted to the rangers and approved.
I've been meaning to ask, what are the geocaching placement rules around here? It appears you can place them in parks like MTRP, Penasquitos and Anza Borrego, but not in Cuyamaca park. And what about County parks like Heise?
You need to check the geocaching rules and cache placement guidelines for each park online. SDRP requires a form be submitted and approved. They have a website that explains the process. Just google for it. I don't know what the rules are for Heise but I'm pretty sure you have to get approval from the rangers for that park as well. Cuyamaca caches must submitted to the rangers and approved.

On this subject...

Awhile back in this thread, there was some concern about the possibility that Sycamore Canyon Preserve would merge with MTRP and what this might mean for caching since Sycamore Canyon doesn't allow caches. Recently duganrm met a ranger at Sycamore Canyon and got a somewhat different story...

We talked a little bit about geocaching and I brought up the subject of caches in the preserve. It turns out that they are ok with caches as long as they are ON the trail. No bushwhacking at all to get them. It would probably also be better to discuss where you plan to place them with the rangers before placing any (ranger gave me his cell number if you want to call him).

The ranger also handed over an ammocan that was a cache that had been found too far off the trail. The full log can be found at duganrm's log.

Most parks discourage bushwhacking and require that a cache be placed within 30 feet of the trail. I can't remember who it was, but some cacher recently got fined $180 for going off trail in MTRP! :) After I heard that I won't bushwhack for a cache anymore unless I know for a fact that the rangers don't care. It would be nice to have a list of all the parks/rules in the area!

Edited by TrailGators
On looking up the geocaching rules for each park, I haven't found many parks with this listed. Like, for Cuyamaca, I can't find it. It's a state park, but I can't find it on the state park website either. I didn't know that caches are allowed in Cuyamaca. If so, how come there aren't more there?
Cuyamaca did not allow caches until very recently because of Chuck B's efforts. He talked about it in this thread awhile back. I know that you must apply to put a geocache in that park and also follow the guidelines that Chuck got the rangers to agree to. Cuyamaca still does not allow caches in certain parts of the park (recovering areas from the Cedar fire or sacred Indian burial grounds). I think this park would be a better place for virtuals (if GC still allowed them) because so much of this park is off-limits to traditional caches. Edited by TrailGators

Thanks to ongoing discussions with Park staff, with able assistance of Chuck B, it is now possible to place physical caches within Cuyamaca State Park. I am attaching a copy of the Park's original post-Cedar Fire policy that serves as the basis for current placement rules. These rules were slightly relaxed with respect to the requirement to periodically check on your cache - it is now once every six months vs every month.

Before hiding a cache, as an alternative to the written procedure described below, you can contact the Supervisory Park Ranger in person on weekdays at the Ranger's office (stone building adjacent to Paso Picacho Campground entrance), as I did last week. Bob Hillis, the new supervisor, is very personable and supportive of reestablishing responsible caching in the park. Per the policy, each cache container and location needs to be pre-approved by the park before a cache can be hidden. Photo documentation and personal contact information is to be provided at the time of your request.

Please be good citizens and stewards and abide by the guidelines with respect to proximity to established trails, container markings, etc.

I have kept Marko Ramius informed of the updated procedures and he will be applying the same criteria to future cache reviews.

-Gecko Dad

State of California • The Resources Agency Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor

DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION Ruth Coleman, Director

Cuyamaca Rancho and Palomar Mountain State Parks Geocaching Policy

General Provisions:

All requests for geocache placement in the Cuyamaca Rancho and Palomar Mountain State Parks must be in writing and submitted to the Park Superintendent at 12551 Highway 79, Descanso, CA 91916 for approval and authorization. Written approval from the park for each geocache placement is required BEFORE the physical cache is placed in the park. Any geocaches not meeting the guidelines in this policy will be removed. State Parks reserves the right to amend this policy. The park phone number is 760-765-0755.

Required Information:

1. Proposed geocache location on a park map, GPS coordinates included

Name and contact information for persons(s) requesting authorization

Geocache container and site descriptions

Picture and/or example of cache container

Picture of proposed cache site

List of proposed container contents.

Geocache Placement Requirements:

-Geocache name must be clearly visible on the exterior of all geocache containers. - An “Official Geocache” green and black sticker is preferred.

-Alternatively, “Official Geocache” and cache name must be written on the

side of the cache in ½ inch letters.

-Caches need to be public, no “members only” caches or “subscriber only” caches.

-Geocache must not contain any food items.

-Geocache must not contain any inappropriate, offensive, or hazardous materials.

-Caches must be placed adjacent to already existing trails, within six feet of the center of the trail. No natural or man-made features may be disturbed or moved.

-Sensitive plant and cultural areas are off limits for caches.

-Cache must be in a secure, waterproof container.

-General park rules and rules regarding geocaching must be available on any online postings for the cache.

Requirements for Geocache Owners:

Cache must be checked once a month and maintained as a family-friendly cache.

When a cache is removed, the responsible party will deactivate or archive any online postings for the removed cache within 3 days of removal.

Funny thing...yesterday, we were talking about Sycamore Canyon Preserve AND I read a log where TamariskBasher bashed some tamarisk on the way back from a cache. Today, I get the following e-mail from the "Friends of Penasquitos Preserve" mailing list about bashing tamarisk in SCP (coincidence??? :laughing: ). Certainly a good cause...(and maybe an opportunity to bag the Sycamore Canyon multi if you haven't done it already.)

Hello Restoration Volunteers, with the cooler weather, it's time to gear up on our restoration projects! While we will be having the usual spate of projects in Penasquitos Canyon and Black Mtn. Parks, this coming Saturday, we're going to help out the Friends of Goodan Ranch. So, it's Sat., Nov. 4, from 9-1 (possibly finish earlier). We'll be cutting down and treating the highly invasive Tamarisk. It's a pretty easy area to work in, mostly flat ground. Bring water, a snack and gloves if you have them. We'll have extra gloves and tools there. Lots of hand work. Suitable for kids too.

Meet at the entrance to Goodan Ranch which is at the end of Sycamore Canyon Road. To find this, Take Poway Road east from I-15 to Garden Road, just before the former begins the climb up the grade to 67. Take a right on Garden Road and go all the way to the stop sign at Sycamore Canyon Road. Go right on Sycamore Canyon Road and go all the way to the parking lot for Goodan Ranch.

Call me if you have any questions! Mike Kelly, 853-342-8856.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
interesting website that tells me what cache you logged twice. :blink: Need to upload mine to find out which one I logged twice.....
Haha! I don't think you can run a PQ of my founds....

Thats what you think...

Stats for TrailGators

Total: 1927 finds on 1926 unique caches (List Multiple Finds)

Find Rate: 1.37/day, 9.62/week

Best day: 3/05/05 - 101 finds

Approximate cache-to-cache distance: 23596.72 miles (37975.24 kilometres) (Excludes locationless and known traveling caches)

Average total cache difficulty: 1.78 - Average total terrain rating: 1.73

Average physical cache difficulty: 1.8 - Average physical terrain rating: 1.75 (Traditional, Multi, Unknown, Project APE, Letterbox)

Edited by Toby's Gang
interesting website that tells me what cache you logged twice. :blink: Need to upload mine to find out which one I logged twice.....

Thats what you think...

Stats for TrailGators

Approximate cache-to-cache distance: 23596.72 miles (37975.24 kilometres) (Excludes locationless and known traveling caches)

Average physical cache difficulty: 1.8 - Average physical terrain rating: 1.75 (Traditional, Multi, Unknown, Project APE, Letterbox)

HA! So I didn't have any multiple finds! :huh:

Edited by TrailGators

Thats what you think...

Stats for TrailGators

HA! So I didn't have any multiple finds! :huh:

link doesn't work right if you click it..... Take a Look at Shandon's Oak Glen Garden (GCK3J0). :huh:

Stats for Toby's Gang

Total: 1365 finds on 1363 unique caches (List Multiple Finds)

Find Rate: 1.01/day, 7.09/week

Best day: 3/31/05 - 36 finds

Approximate cache-to-cache distance: 21969.34 miles (35356.22 kilometres) (Excludes locationless and known traveling caches)

Average total cache difficulty: 1.64 - Average total terrain rating: 1.76

Average physical cache difficulty: 1.66 - Average physical terrain rating: 1.78 (Traditional, Multi, Unknown, Project APE, Letterbox)

But it should be 1363 finds....Yer busted!!! :blink:

Edited by TrailGators

Stats for Toby's Gang

Approximate cache-to-cache distance: 21969.34 miles (35356.22 kilometres) (Excludes locationless and known traveling caches)

Average physical cache difficulty: 1.66 - Average physical terrain rating: 1.78 (Traditional, Multi, Unknown, Project APE, Letterbox)

But it should be 1363 finds....Yer busted!!! :huh:

Hey! I have a good explanation for those. :blink:

...and when I think of one I'll let you know.

Now I need to go find two caches. :huh:

Edited by Toby's Gang

:huh:

Stats for Toby's Gang

But it should be 1363 finds....Yer busted!!! :huh:

What? You ate 3 slices of pizza that day? :(
:huh:

Stats for Toby's Gang

But it should be 1363 finds....Yer busted!!! :(

What? You ate 3 slices of pizza that day? :D

How did you know!!?? :huh::(:(

We are up to 194 Trick-or-Treaters tonight....

I'm going to be hearing "Ding-Dong Ding-Dong Ding-Dong" in my sleep tonight.... :blink:

I've got an idea of how to get that sound out of your ears.... Come on down to Glen Abbey with us tonight... We're meeting at 11:30 pm to do Tombmaker's and gratefuldad116's new series...

We are up to 194 Trick-or-Treaters tonight....

I'm going to be hearing "Ding-Dong Ding-Dong Ding-Dong" in my sleep tonight....

I've got an idea of how to get that sound out of your ears.... Come on down to Glen Abbey with us tonight... We're meeting at 11:30 pm to do Tombmaker's and gratefuldad116's new series...

Thanks for asking but I have to be at work bright and early tomorrow.... :huh:

Ding Dong! We just hit 200! Ding Dong! Now 201! Ding Dong! Now 202! :blink:

Edited by TrailGators

I like the forecast feature:

"Based on your overall rate of 3.62 finds per day, you'll find number 4600 around 11/21/06 and the big 5000 around 3/12/07. However, over the past few months, your find rate has actually been 5.39 finds per day. Based on that, you'll find number 4600 around 11/14/06 and your 5000th around 1/27/07."

Does that thing tell you if you forgot to log a cache :blink: .

Cachers have reminded several times I forgot to log one, or logged a, gasp, DNF instead of a find.

"Based on your overall rate of 3.62 finds per day, you'll find number 4600 around 11/21/06 and the big 5000 around 3/12/07. However, over the past few months, your find rate has actually been 5.39 finds per day. Based on that, you'll find number 4600 around 11/14/06 and your 5000th around 1/27/07."

Does that thing tell you if you forgot to log a cache :huh: .

Cachers have reminded several times I forgot to log one, or logged a, gasp, DNF instead of a find.

I do the same thing! I typically go back and check everyone's logs that I cached with to see if I forgot to log one or two. :blink:

It's very cool! I like the chart of finds by month and day of the week.

I already knew I had one duplicate. I logged a cache again after it was adopted and relocated 200 feet or so. Isn't that legit? Well, even if it isn't, the first time I found it, it had been muggled and was an empty container lying in the open.

I like the forecast feature: "Based on your overall rate of 3.62 finds per day, you'll find number 4600 around 11/21/06 and the big 5000 around 3/12/07. However, over the past few months, your find rate has actually been 5.39 finds per day. Based on that, you'll find number 4600 around 11/14/06 and your 5000th around 1/27/07."
It's very cool! I like the chart of finds by month and day of the week.

I already knew I had one duplicate. I logged a cache again after it was adopted and relocated 200 feet or so. Isn't that legit? Well, even if it isn't, the first time I found it, it had been muggled and was an empty container lying in the open.

I don't (intentionally) do that, but I just noticed that I had a duplicate log! :mad: So I just deleted it! :mad: The funny thing is that the other application I use to check that didn't find it! :unsure: Anyhow, I guess sometimes it's hard to remember if you've found a cache already or not! :blink: Kudos for this new website for finding my snafu! :huh:

Edit: I checked out the date feature and I have found 82% of my caches on the weekend. March is my main caching month. I've done my least amount of caching in May.

Edited by TrailGators
I already knew I had one duplicate. I logged a cache again after it was adopted and relocated 200 feet or so. Isn't that legit?

I never log a cache twice as a find. If a cache has moved and I go back and find it in its new place, I log it as a note. Others see nothing wrong with logging it as a new find. There is a reasonable argument to be made for either position. As far as I'm concerned, this is one of those cases where you can decide for yourself what rules you want to play by.

Edit: I checked out the date feature and I have found 82% of my caches on the weekend. March is my main caching month. I've done my least amount of caching in May.

The date feature tells me that I need to get out more on Wednesdays! :unsure:

I already knew I had one duplicate. I logged a cache again after it was adopted and relocated 200 feet or so. Isn't that legit?

I never log a cache twice as a find. If a cache has moved and I go back and find it in its new place, I log it as a note. Others see nothing wrong with logging it as a new find. There is a reasonable argument to be made for either position. As far as I'm concerned, this is one of those cases where you can decide for yourself what rules you want to play by.

The date feature tells me that I need to get out more on Wednesdays! :unsure:

I think the log a re-hid cache thing is a grey area...I am going to stick to the black and only log a cache once...I did log a locationless twice...it said it was cool to log a street with your first, middle and last names...and you were welcome to log it once for each...I think the signs were about 10 miles apart...

Most of my finds are on Monday and Friday's. Saturday and Sundays are my least cached days