The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

To change the subject. This is a bummer--when your personal life and job are both busy and there's little time left for caching. What do you do? :D I've also cleared out most of the easy "on your way home" caches.
My pattern has been to cache once a week. I have been doing it this way since I started caching. I need that one day to escape so I look forward to it each week! I also know that some guys get up really early or night cache. I have trouble getting up early, but I have cached at night. It is a bigger challenge to find the caches but it is fun too!

I have the same issues/ problems....work and family..... B) Anytime I travel out of town, overnight trip, I try and get a couple of caches in while I am away....doesn't always happen that way though....meetings run long and into the night. :D Then there are the times I drive north for meetings and will grab a cache on the way up or way back, if I'm not burnt out. Heck the other day I tried to do a couple of caches on the way home from the Doctor's office....too many muggles though. B) Another day. B)

I think it's just a matter of when you have some or little free time, you just go for it. My numbers are not high, but I will say I am consistent and will cache as much as I am able too. I am 11 away from 300 and I've been doing this pushing 3 years now. :D Anytime there are caching events, I really enjoy going out with the group.

Okay..I've rambled enough.

hello sd cachers! i am climbing out from under my lurking rock to ask about remote car camping. i'd like to get some ideas from you folks about your favorite places to park and pitch a tent.

thanks!

-ikes

:laughing: We pitch our tent at Skillet's place in the desert and go caching from there!! :laughing:

The only time I pitch a tent is at the caching campouts. We have one coming up next month - you do know about the event, don't you?

hello sd cachers! i am climbing out from under my lurking rock to ask about remote car camping. i'd like to get some ideas from you folks about your favorite places to park and pitch a tent.

thanks!

-ikes

:laughing: We pitch our tent at Skillet's place in the desert and go caching from there!! :laughing:

The only time I pitch a tent is at the caching campouts. We have one coming up next month - you do know about the event, don't you?

Camping, Caching.. when - where.. really???? Can I, can I, pleassssssssse???

Seriously. No idea this was gonna happen. If we can fit it in the schedule and it's kid friendly, I'd love to go.

Mary

I talked with John&Jess for a while yesterday, and their wedding weekend sounded idyllic.

They had a lovely ceremony, the weather was great, and they had a great suite to stay in.

As the day wore on, and they returned to their room, they had a perfectly romantic evening planned. Ahh, wedded bliss! Everything was going just fine...until they got notification of a new puzzle cache going live. :D:D

:D

That would actually be a good background story for a puzzle now that I think about it!

I talked with John&Jess for a while yesterday, and their wedding weekend sounded idyllic.

They had a lovely ceremony, the weather was great, and they had a great suite to stay in.

As the day wore on, and they returned to their room, they had a perfectly romantic evening planned. Ahh, wedded bliss! Everything was going just fine...until they got notification of a new puzzle cache going live. :bad:

That would actually be a good background story for a puzzle now that I think about it!

Hmmmm...Rumor has it their very first FTF as a married couple was a pretty epic one! Stay tuned. :bad:

PW

Hmmmm...Rumor has it their very first FTF as a married couple was a pretty epic one! Stay tuned. :bad:

Was it good? Did the earth move? :P:bad:

Just don't let Harmon get his hands on any of the wedding pics! :)

Dang, now you blew my cover. How's this - "I promise to be a good litle boy with the wedding photos." :P

Of course I'm a pretty good guy to have around if by chance some of the wedding shots are, shall we say, "over exposed."

C'm on, I'll be good. Honest I will. I promise ....

Edited by SD Rowdies

I'm headed to Anza-Borrego this weekend. Leaving Friday after "work" and returning Sunday afternoon. I'll be in a white Ranger (with lumber racks). Plates same as forum/geocaching name. Will be camping first night in Motrero Canyon and heading toward Oriflame Canyon on Saturday.

Maybe I'll see you out there!

Jim

W9JIM

Anyone headed to Europe in the near future? I'm holding TB that I would like to send in that direction... :laughing:

We are going to the UK and France in December, if that's any good to you? We will hope to do some caching, at least check on our own caches, if not more!!

I saw you have just been there yourself as you found one of the caches I'm 'watching'!

ttfn jane

Edited by Silver Horde

WANTED: SAN DIEGO GEOCACHERS!!

FOX 6 (XETV-TV) San Diego would like to run a live broadcast with local geocachers, talking about geocaching, and actually geocaching next FRIDAY the 13th (my favorite date). We would be on the Fox in the morning show so they anticipate at least 3 live feeds through the duration of the morning show (5:30, 6:30, 7:30, etc.). The only request is, that we are awake (coffee), excited (coffee), and can talk somewhat intelligently about the subject (coffee). So can FATTBOY show up with his wig and donuts? :rolleyes: The reporter, Sherri Palmeri, even suggested we could place a Fox6 News Cache (mock) or release a Fox6 News travelbug on air (ooooh aahhh). I suggested the central area to broadcast could be somewhere near Mission Trails.

So, anyone want to volunteer and become the next morning star? :laughing:

PassingWind

Edited by PassingWind
WANTED: SAN DIEGO GEOCACHERS!!

FOX 6 (XETV-TV) San Diego would like to run a live broadcast with local geocachers, talking about geocaching, and actually geocaching next FRIDAY the 13th (my favorite date). We would be on the Fox in the morning show so they anticipate at least 3 live feeds through the duration of the morning show (5:30, 6:30, 7:30, etc.). The only request is, that we are awake (coffee), excited (coffee), and can talk somewhat intelligently about the subject (coffee). So can FATTBOY show up with his wig and donuts? <_< The reporter, Sherri Palmeri, even suggested we could place a Fox6 News Cache (mock) or release a Fox6 News travelbug on air (ooooh aahhh). I suggested the central area to broadcast could be somewhere near Mission Trails.

So, anyone want to volunteer and become the next morning star? :rolleyes:

PassingWind

I wish it was tomorrow,i'm off and am going to visit the cache's by Grossmont College. Will have to DVR record to see it. :laughing:

Can anybody clarify MTRP/MCAS boundaries?!?!

I was out caching in Spring cyn north of 52 yesterday and got busted by a Park Ranger by Capture the High Ground. To make a long story short - he told me anything west of Spring cyn is Federal land and off-limits. I asked him about if there were signs showing the boundaries, but he told me that 1) Mountain bikers knock them down all the time 2) the boundaries are "iffy", not very well defined.

Well, I kept on caching along Spring cyn, and as it turned out, I followed the arrow and got "lost" :laughing: after DELIVERANCE - ended up on the western ridge (lots of caches there) where there were posted signs about live firing area - I consider that well-defined boundary. However, I did see two mountain bikers (I assume they were civilians) using the same service road I was walking on so I wasn't the only one up there.

So, does anybody know what is MTRP and what is MCAS? After reading some logs, it seems like parts of Spring cyn is also off-limits further north.

Edited by ThePolarBear
This is a sad day for the geocaching community. Another APE cache bites the dust. Our thanks to Dep&Uno&Co & 2Wheel'in for all they did to keep the legend alive. RIP

Mission 7: Crab Creek (Project APE)

Deane & Linda

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

9.gif

Myself, D-Jollymon, and GoBolts found this cache all within a month of each other, weird. Hopefully those of you who have never found a Project APE cache will have an opportunity to find one before they are all gone (FYI. The one in Illinois-Blind Creek just went missing).

PassingWind

icon_ape.jpg

I was out caching in Spring cyn north of 52 yesterday and got busted by a Park Ranger by Capture the High Ground. To make a long story short - he told me anything west of Spring cyn is Federal land and off-limits. I asked him about if there were signs showing the boundaries, but he told me that 1) Mountain bikers knock them down all the time 2) the boundaries are "iffy", not very well defined.

Well, I kept on caching along Spring cyn, and as it turned out, I followed the arrow and got "lost" :laughing: after DELIVERANCE - ended up on the western ridge (lots of caches there) where there were posted signs about live firing area - I consider that well-defined boundary. However, I did see two mountain bikers (I assume they were civilians) using the same service road I was walking on so I wasn't the only one up there.

So, does anybody know what is MTRP and what is MCAS? After reading some logs, it seems like parts of Spring cyn is also off-limits further north.

The engineer at my company put this together for me a few months ago. It's not a survey but it gives a good idea where the boundaries are. It's based on the county assessors maps.

df78c8a9-28fc-40ec-8ce8-b450aacee9e8.jpg

The engineer at my company put this together for me a few months ago. It's not a survey but it gives a good idea where the boundaries are. It's based on the county assessors maps.

df78c8a9-28fc-40ec-8ce8-b450aacee9e8.jpg

The last time I got caught up there by the Marines, I used the opportunity to talk to them and get their understanding of the situation. The information they gave me agrees quite closely with TG's map. They also said that, eventually, they'll put up gates but right now they don't have the funds -- apparently, a few rogue geocachers and MTB'ers aren't very high up in the Dept. of Homeland Security's Threat Assessment.

Capture the High Ground, though, is in the area not patrolled by the Marines. The fact that ThePolarBear was caught out by a Park Ranger and not the Marines indicates that there is some other jurisdiction involved.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

As you progress northward in Spring Canyon you will encounter a short post beside the trail, on the left, that once held a boundary sign for MCAS/Miramar property. It's one of those square-section drilled sign-posts and as I recall it is green. Once in a while the Marine patrol will place a line of rocks across the trail at that post but bikers usually kick them out of their way.

There is no doubt that several of the Geocaches are north of the boundary post including some along the ridge that defines the western side of Spring Canyon.

The ranger is wrong about Spring Canyon south of that boundary post. In fact that section between the boundary post and Highway 52 is San Diego open space and certainly not MTRP nor MCAS.

The satellite view posted by Toby's Gang agrees with this viewpoint as well.

As far as Shepherd Canyon is concerned there's no sign nor post along the way to mark MCAS property. The canyon drifts northwest and so the trail eventually intersects the north-south MCAS boundary line. There are two or three Shepherd Canyon Geocaches that are most-likely on MCAS property. One of them is a very old cache that's very hard to access unless you use a wildlife corridor that you really shouldn't know about anyway.

Edited by SD Rowdies

I have a Garmin GPSMap60cs that I no longer require because I am HAPPY with my 60csx. Anyone interested in buying it? If not, I will ebay it, I just thought someone local might want it. It is in excellent condition and actually is loaded with some routing & topo maps. I have it all boxed up. :lol: Used models seem to be going for around $300, but it is all negotiable.

Email me @ team.adelos@gmail.com if interested. Is there a better area in the forum to post this for the San Diego area?

Paul

Well, I kept on caching along Spring cyn, and as it turned out, I followed the arrow and got "lost" :lol: after DELIVERANCE - ended up on the western ridge (lots of caches there) where there were posted signs about live firing area - I consider that well-defined boundary. However, I did see two mountain bikers (I assume they were civilians) using the same service road I was walking on so I wasn't the only one up there.

You, generally, won't encounter this problem if you night cache :P .

When I bike through, I go after 5P, and have thus far avoided the fuzz.

I have a Garmin GPSMap60cs that I no longer require because I am HAPPY with my 60csx. Anyone interested in buying it? If not, I will ebay it, I just thought someone local might want it. It is in excellent condition and actually is loaded with some routing & topo maps. I have it all boxed up. :lol: Used models seem to be going for around $300, but it is all negotiable.

Email me @ team.adelos@gmail.com if interested. Is there a better area in the forum to post this for the San Diego area?

Paul

It might be worth more if say, oh I don't know, it came pre-loaded with the final coordinates of someones puzzle caches. :P

I have a Garmin GPSMap60cs that I no longer require because I am HAPPY with my 60csx. Anyone interested in buying it? If not, I will ebay it, I just thought someone local might want it. It is in excellent condition and actually is loaded with some routing & topo maps. I have it all boxed up. :D Used models seem to be going for around $300, but it is all negotiable.

Paul

It might be worth more if say, oh I don't know, it came pre-loaded with the final coordinates of someones puzzle caches. :rolleyes:

Interesting idea.. ;) I will have to keep that in mind. I also found that you can buy a NEW one on eBay for around $270.00. Obviously, $300 is to much, but I can still load it up with mapping information. I digress.. :)

Edited by Team Adelos

Stories of my demise have been greatly exaggerated...

I've been very busy working on the Historic US 80 Committee. They also decided to "volunteer" me onto the non-profit corporation. In a few short months we've gotten the state senate and assembly to designate US 80 an historic route.

For those driving US 80 on October 21st (maybe heading out to Anza) there will be a ribbon cutting drive all along the route. The San Diego ribbon cutting is at 7am near Seaport Village. Events will take place along the route in San Diego, Balboa Park, La Mesa, El Cajon, and Alpine. Classic cars will drive east to a car show and vendor event in Viejas. Simultaneously, a group will be driving west from Yuma to Viejas.

I've also been working on my AmericanRoads web site, especially the US 80 California section. I'm making the "official" drive maps for the committee and the October event. Research at Caltrans, the downtown library, and UCSD, as well as making the maps using Illustrator, has taken up much of my time lately.

The county was evidently so excited about the historic route status that they decided to install 28 brown historic route signs in the county areas. Some are already up near Alpine and Viejas. I'm on the sub-committee for getting the whole road in California signed.

Here's my US 80 California page, which features 12 (provisional) drive maps so far:

http://www.americanroads.us/ushighways/ushighway80CA.html

The California section of my Photo Tour is done (I drove all the way on 80 to Rodeo, NM).

http://www.americanroads.us/ushighways/ush...80CAphotos.html

A photo of one of the new brown signs appears on the news page:

http://www.americanroads.us/news.html

Parsa

I'll be sure and avoid the 80 when them "slow" classic cars hit the road; don't want them interfering with my caching B) .

Nice to hear from you and nice job on the historic route designation. I was recently at the east end, over where I-8 splits just before dropping down into the Imperial Valley (Myer Valley Overlook cache). Is this where the 80 ends?

Stories of my demise have been greatly exaggerated...

I've been very busy working on the Historic US 80 Committee. They also decided to "volunteer" me onto the non-profit corporation. In a few short months we've gotten the state senate and assembly to designate US 80 an historic route.

For those driving US 80 on October 21st (maybe heading out to Anza) there will be a ribbon cutting drive all along the route. The San Diego ribbon cutting is at 7am near Seaport Village. Events will take place along the route in San Diego, Balboa Park, La Mesa, El Cajon, and Alpine. Classic cars will drive east to a car show and vendor event in Viejas. Simultaneously, a group will be driving west from Yuma to Viejas.

I've also been working on my AmericanRoads web site, especially the US 80 California section. I'm making the "official" drive maps for the committee and the October event. Research at Caltrans, the downtown library, and UCSD, as well as making the maps using Illustrator, has taken up much of my time lately.

The county was evidently so excited about the historic route status that they decided to install 28 brown historic route signs in the county areas. Some are already up near Alpine and Viejas. I'm on the sub-committee for getting the whole road in California signed.

Here's my US 80 California page, which features 12 (provisional) drive maps so far:

http://www.americanroads.us/ushighways/ushighway80CA.html

The California section of my Photo Tour is done (I drove all the way on 80 to Rodeo, NM).

http://www.americanroads.us/ushighways/ush...80CAphotos.html

A photo of one of the new brown signs appears on the news page:

http://www.americanroads.us/news.html

Parsa

Very cool, Steve. Now get a case of Altoids and make sure every one of those brown signs has a log-only-micro attached to it! B) (Let's hope for a little more creativity than that...)

Chuy,

Nope, there are a lot of cool sections up the Mountain Springs grade, and if you drive west of the town of Ocotillo, you can see both later and very early (c1917) sections. Check out the Photo Tour and maps. There is 150 miles of drivable road between Yuma and downtown San Diego (and more if you drive the spur sections).

Edited by Parsa