The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

More life-changing events are afoot: I've got a job lined up in the UK, and the missus has also got a job in London to go to, so we'll be leaving in mid-September, probably around the 17/18th. This means that I've only got a month left! :D:):)

I will be putting all my caches out for adoption - if there's one you know you want, email me and I'll sort it out. I'll put up a page/thread somewhere next week for those nobody has claimed by then. And no, if you haven't found one of my puzzle caches, I won't give you the coords if you offer to adopt it!

For those thinking of an event cache to celebrate getting rid of me, I think probably the only weekend doable would be the 8/9/10th, and as long as it involves booze and I can get a ride home, I don't care what/where it is!

Hate to see you go Toby! I would be very interested in Yada Yada Yada since that is my favorite comedy show of all time! :D

Of course! We just don't know where that is yet....

Thanks to everyone who's requested an adoption. I've updated my list for now. Keep sending the requests, and I'll send them out first come first served, but not until next week - we're off to Yosemite for a long weekend tomorrow, back on Tuesday. I said it was a *long* weekend! Still, I get 25 days holiday not including bank holidays in my new job, so maybe that's a normal weekend :ph34r:

Of course! We just don't know where that is yet....

Thanks to everyone who's requested an adoption. I've updated my list for now. Keep sending the requests, and I'll send them out first come first served, but not until next week - we're off to Yosemite for a long weekend tomorrow, back on Tuesday. I said it was a *long* weekend! Still, I get 25 days holiday not including bank holidays in my new job, so maybe that's a normal weekend :ph34r:

I've got so many MTRP caches to look after I might as well adopt Saddle Up.

Best of luck in your new job and do be careful about your flight to London. Remember, no chewing gum nor Chapstick carry-on.

Best of luck in your new job and do be careful about your flight to London. Remember, no chewing gum nor Chapstick carry-on.

Speaking of which.......

Friday, August 11 12:00 PM ET

TSA Requiring Travelers to Empty Bladders Before Boarding Planes

By Brian Briggs

Washington DC - Terrorists in London planned to use liquid bombs to destroy ten airplanes headed to the US from London's Heathrow airport. This has prompted the TSA to ban passengers from bringing on any sorts of liquids or gels including urine in passengers' bladders.

"All airline passengers must empty their bladders completely before boarding," said Homeland Security Secretary Chertoff in an announcement on Thursday. "Terrorists could drink contents of the bomb separately then put their streams together in the plane's bathroom to create an explosive. We just can't take that chance."

The new restrictions have caused long lines at airport bathrooms, but most passengers are taking the rules in stride. "I hate peeing on the airplane anyway so I'm happy to denigrate myself further if it keeps the airplane safe," said Harold Franklin from Indianapolis.

Ben Hawkins, a chemist from Albany flying to Cleveland said, "I don't think it's even possible for people to create a liquid bomb with urine. Either drinking the explosives would kill them or the body would break down the chemicals making them harmless." Other travelers at the gate overhearing his comments called him "unAmerican" and "a slave to science."

The new rules also restrict one person per bathroom on flights which will severely limit entrance into the Mile High Club.

For now the TSA is only limiting urine in the passengers' body and not other liquids such as blood, saliva or breast milk, but those restrictions could be coming. "We have to explore all our options," said Secretary Chertoff. "If we have to suck the blood from all the passengers on every plane in America to keep them safe that's what we'll do."

Speaking of which.......

Friday, August 11 12:00 PM ET

TSA Requiring Travelers to Empty Bladders Before Boarding Planes

By Brian Briggs

Washington DC - Terrorists in London planned to use liquid bombs to destroy ten airplanes headed to the US from London's Heathrow airport. This has prompted the TSA to ban passengers from bringing on any sorts of liquids or gels including urine in passengers' bladders.

"All airline passengers must empty their bladders completely before boarding," said Homeland Security Secretary Chertoff in an announcement on Thursday. "Terrorists could drink contents of the bomb separately then put their streams together in the plane's bathroom to create an explosive. We just can't take that chance."

The new restrictions have caused long lines at airport bathrooms, but most passengers are taking the rules in stride. "I hate peeing on the airplane anyway so I'm happy to denigrate myself further if it keeps the airplane safe," said Harold Franklin from Indianapolis.

Ben Hawkins, a chemist from Albany flying to Cleveland said, "I don't think it's even possible for people to create a liquid bomb with urine. Either drinking the explosives would kill them or the body would break down the chemicals making them harmless." Other travelers at the gate overhearing his comments called him "unAmerican" and "a slave to science."

The new rules also restrict one person per bathroom on flights which will severely limit entrance into the Mile High Club.

For now the TSA is only limiting urine in the passengers' body and not other liquids such as blood, saliva or breast milk, but those restrictions could be coming. "We have to explore all our options," said Secretary Chertoff. "If we have to suck the blood from all the passengers on every plane in America to keep them safe that's what we'll do."

:D:o:D:D

Side issue: Many thanks to zatyko, Chuy and Go Bolts for some advice on our waywark San Diego geocoin. T'was making it's way back to my hometown when it suddenly vanished May this year. Some detective work, a little translation and our coin is back on track with accurate mileage...a little off course in the Czech Republic, but back in circulation.

b7154ffd-7c0f-4887-905c-94eddc84ecf3.jpg

Queenslander

Hmmmm....that *is* a little off course. :huh:

Well, I just had a somewhat complex series published, "In a Galaxy Far, Far, Away" along with a couple of other caches of mine, for a total of 8 caches published tonight. Good luck with them! I really like puzzles caches, caches that take me somewhere interesting, and theme/adventure/series caches, so my goal is to give those kind of caches back to the community. My series attempts to be all three.

And kudos to whoever Marko Ramius is, he's sure fast with the approvals!

Well, I just had a somewhat complex series published, "In a Galaxy Far, Far, Away" along with a couple of other caches of mine, for a total of 8 caches published tonight. Good luck with them! I really like puzzles caches, caches that take me somewhere interesting, and theme/adventure/series caches, so my goal is to give those kind of caches back to the community. My series attempts to be all three.

I managed to knock off 6 of the 8, with a little help from my friends, tonight!

I think Team Adelos owes me some money. I see on the final they had put money down on GoBolts!

So, how do I collect? ;)

Why I oughta .... how many times do I have to say "Preset exposure to foreground?"

Better yet shoot two shots, one for foreground exposure and one for background exposure, then y' color-blend them for perfection.

Okay, noted for future reference! ;)

By the way, the "C" you removed fromt the sky was a natural cloud formation!

I just added the 4 to be funny.

Why I oughta .... how many times do I have to say "Preset exposure to foreground?"

Better yet shoot two shots, one for foreground exposure and one for background exposure, then y' color-blend them for perfection.

Okay, noted for future reference! ;)

By the way, the "C" you removed fromt the sky was a natural cloud formation!

I just added the 4 to be funny.

If you want to know how to enhance photos like that, then reference Harmon's Photoshop Lesson 12: Layer Masking. :)

I think Team Adelos owes me some money. I see on the final they had put money down on GoBolts!

So, how do I collect? ;)

Sorry Team "A"....Team “!” saw them come out (in fact we knew about the final on Sunday...RJB dropped a jeep I was watching into the cache). So the teem had a conference call at time of publication...however comma TM and I had tickets to see the Padres beat the Dodgers. It is my fault that team "!" was not even in the same galaxy as the group from the "Dark Side". Congratulations to C4 and J&J. BZ!

...however comma TM and I had tickets to see the Padres beat the Dodgers.
Wow! When you purchased your tickets, you got to specify which team was going to win. I want to buy my tickets at the same place. :laughing::rolleyes::ph34r:
Say Dave, I heard GoBolts! already has some tickets to watch the Chargers beat the Broncos this year!!! :huh::wub: Edited by TrailGators
...however comma TM and I had tickets to see the Padres beat the Dodgers.
Wow! When you purchased your tickets, you got to specify which team was going to win. I want to buy my tickets at the same place. :laughing::ph34r::wub:
Say Dave, I heard GoBolts! already has some tickets to watch the Chargers beat the Broncos this year!!! :wub::huh:
Good One - I would like some of those myself! :rolleyes:

So, how do I collect? :ph34r:

:laughing: Who knew! :rolleyes:

I would be happy to donate a dollar for your amazing efforts of completing that. To think, I was conteplating taking the kids to grab them... On a school night even! I would have gotten lost for sure. :wub: I am looking forward to completing that series. I will have to set time aside for it. We love series caches.

TA

So, how do I collect? :wub:

:laughing: Who knew! :wub:

I would be happy to donate a dollar for your amazing efforts of completing that. To think, I was conteplating taking the kids to grab them... On a school night even! I would have gotten lost for sure. :rolleyes: I am looking forward to completing that series. I will have to set time aside for it. We love series caches.

TA

:huh:

You'd better hang on to the buck! You'll need it for gas to run around to all the spots!

:ph34r:

New topic. I'm a pretty direct person. This is a warning that I may say what I really think about your cache when I log it, when most people might say "TNLNSL" or "Found it" or "clearing out my radius". As I wrote in a micro today that I didn't find: "Didn't find it and won't be back. What a miserable place for a cache!" (it was supposedly in a dead tree next to a fence next to two busy roads next to a dirt parking lot).

Now I don't hate all urban micros, and I admit it is nice making a clear space around my house and seeing my numbers rise, so I will continue to do urban micros. I understand some people really like those. And I know I can't do anything about their proliferation, but I just want to vote for "please pick good locations!" and I figure the best way to cast my vote is with my log. If I knew in advance which ones would suck maybe I wouldn't seek them out, but I don't always have the time to do that much research in advance. I'll go to the next one on my GPSr and occasionally I find a neat place to visit or a clever hide. But then I find the next few tucked into a lamp skirts. Even those aren't that bad, sometimes. Especially if they were more rare.

Maybe some people don't care that some of their cache locations suck. Maybe some people know it, but don't care if people think they do. But maybe there are a few people who don't realize, or who might take a bit more effort if people wrote something other than "Thanks!" in their logs. So, at least some of the time, I'm just going to be honest and log them as I see them. Feel free to do the same for mine. It's nothing personal, and I may have loved (or will love)(or at least not dislike) your other cache locations.

New topic. I'm a pretty direct person. This is a warning that I may say what I really think about your cache when I log it, when most people might say "TNLNSL" or "Found it" or "clearing out my radius". As I wrote in a micro today that I didn't find: "Didn't find it and won't be back. What a miserable place for a cache!" (it was supposedly in a dead tree next to a fence next to two busy roads next to a dirt parking lot).

Now I don't hate all urban micros, and I admit it is nice making a clear space around my house and seeing my numbers rise, so I will continue to do urban micros. I understand some people really like those. And I know I can't do anything about their proliferation, but I just want to vote for "please pick good locations!" and I figure the best way to cast my vote is with my log. If I knew in advance which ones would suck maybe I wouldn't seek them out, but I don't always have the time to do that much research in advance. I'll go to the next one on my GPSr and occasionally I find a neat place to visit or a clever hide. But then I find the next few tucked into a lamp skirts. Even those aren't that bad, sometimes. Especially if they were more rare.

Maybe some people don't care that some of their cache locations suck. Maybe some people know it, but don't care if people think they do. But maybe there are a few people who don't realize, or who might take a bit more effort if people wrote something other than "Thanks!" in their logs. So, at least some of the time, I'm just going to be honest and log them as I see them. Feel free to do the same for mine. It's nothing personal, and I may have loved (or will love)(or at least not dislike) your other cache locations.

DPM - Including the letters "DPM" in a cache log was a once-secret way to indicate the cache was of low quality. DPM is an abbreviation for "des palourdes mortes", which is French for "the dead clams". The entire French phrase is "Les longs sanglots des palourdes mortes blessent mon coeur avec un languor monotone pendant qu'ils dansent à minuit", which translates to "The long sobs of the dead clams wound my heart with a monotonous languor as they dance at midnight". The idea was to include this phrase in a cache log to clue in others that the cache was of low quality. Rarely actually used, as the meaning of DPM quickly spread throughout the geocaching community, and its secrecy was lost.

I hear ya! :) I think the sarcastic approach might work well for caches like that: "I really enjoyed the pungent aroma of decomposing garbage when I found this cache near a dumpster behind a shopping center! I really appreciate you bringing me to this spot! Caching has once again taken me to place I would have never gone to if I hadn't been geocaching! :huh::blink:

No matter what you say or how direct you are, it will probably never be enough. There will always be that effervescent newbie who just gushes with praise for the most pedestrian hide: "My first find ever! This is Soooooooooooooooo cool! Under a lamp post cover-thingy! I never would have ever in a million years thought of looking THERE!! Thanks soooooooooooooo much for this totally awesome hide!! I'm HOOOKED!!!" Face the music folks, we veteran cynics are vastly out numbered by the blissfully ignorant rookies... And that fact, alone, shows that there is room in the game for just about all varieties of caches (except maybe the ones in poison oak -- ouch!!)... Resistence is futile - prepare to be assimilated... It's really not that bad, anyway. There's all kinds of lists out there if all you want to do is the caches with acclaim. As for me, I'm still getting something out of every one I find (swag, swag, I just can't get enough swag)...

Edited by FlagMan

No matter what you say or how direct you are, it will probably never be enough. There will always be that effervescent newbie who just gushes with praise for the most pedestrian hide: "My first find ever! This is Soooooooooooooooo cool! Under a lamp post cover-thingy! I never would have ever in a million years thought of looking THERE!! Thanks soooooooooooooo much for this totally awesome hide!! I'm HOOOKED!!!" Face the music folks, we veteran cynics are vastly out numbered by the blissfully ignorant rookies...

:blink: I have to admit my first LPC was fun. Then came the 2nd, 3rd, 4th.......100th :huh: ........200th :) .....300th :D

Edited by TrailGators

Umm, ... sure is hot t'day ain't it?

Although, I have to say, there's something to be said for geocaching when you can look at a piece of land that's barely suitable for anything and yet you can find a cache there! :blink:

Although, I have to say, there's something to be said for geocaching when you can look at a piece of land that's barely suitable for anything and yet you can find a cache there! :wub:

There is also something to be said for "encouraging" the geocachers who take personal time and resources to establish an urban cache. Sure, these are not as grandiose as the “top100” SD caches, but for a lunchtime grab, beginners, or a quick outing with kids they fill a need. I imagine that just like other endeavors, geocaching experience can sometimes raise expectations to a point where “urban” geocaches are disappointing. When that happens I guess you can only ask for your money back.

Although, I have to say, there's something to be said for geocaching when you can look at a piece of land that's barely suitable for anything and yet you can find a cache there! :wub:

There is also something to be said for "encouraging" the geocachers who take personal time and resources to establish an urban cache. Sure, these are not as grandiose as the "top100" SD caches, but for a lunchtime grab, beginners, or a quick outing with kids they fill a need. I imagine that just like other endeavors, geocaching experience can sometimes raise expectations to a point where "urban" geocaches are disappointing. When that happens I guess you can only ask for your money back.

Sorry but I think you have things spun around. I think we should be "encouraging" the geocachers who go above and beyond the call of duty and invest a huge amount of personal time and resources to create a cache that everyone enjoys so much that it gets enough votes to be in the "top 100" SD caches! :wub:

How 'bout that local sports team? :wub::cry::cry::wub:

How 'bout that local sports team? :cry::cry::o:wub:

Gobolts! must have gotten some more tickets to see the Padres beat the Dodgers cause they are beating them again tonight!!! :wub:

Edited by TrailGators

When I placed that cache the bushes where green and alive,and I know that area isn't the greastest spot but nobody else as a problem with it. Yea there are some lousy spots for caches but we all go and find them and get are numbers and look for more to do. So you just go on your marry way and don't worry over my hide in the bushes.

I have to say I was less grumpy after my "just a couple of caches on the way home from work" than I was after my "just a few caches on the way to work" this morning when I originally posted (but I stand by that post). Both are a little out of the way, which is why I've been too lazy to get them until now, so thank goodness for the the other types of caches when I'm feeling lazy. On the way home I did "56... Sights and Sounds..." and "A Lone Pine" both east of Torrey Pines. Beautiful scenery in both cases, totally worth it. I recommend them. I did a short bike ride in both cases and neither took me that long. On the way to "A Lone Pine" a rattler crossed my path. It looked at me, I looked at it. It sniffed me with its tongue. It then continued across into the bushes with a little farewell rattle and we went on our ways. There were rabbits, egrets, cliffs, and no one else about. The pine tree was magnificent, standing out there all by itself, its branches reaching so far. This is why I geocache.

Edited by rjbloom & co

How 'bout that local sports team? :cry::o:wub::wub:

Gobolts! must have gotten some more tickets to see the Padres beat the Dodgers cause they are beating them again tonight!!! :cry:

Yes we ordered a sweep...was a bit more expensive but well worth the spanking we gave the Dodgers. Man it was sweet to be there for all three.

But back on topic...it is one thing to make a negative comment now and then...but when almost all of your logs or forum posts...are negative or knock the way people are finding caches or that using a lifeline is cheating or sending e-mail to new cachers telling them they suck and should stop caching because they have not found as many puzzles as you think they should have. Well that takes the fun out of it and hurts people and has the potential to chase new people away from this sport/hobby. I think you need to relax and try to have fun and stop ruining the fun of others...

Edited by GoBolts!

But back on topic...it is one thing to make a negative comment now and then...but when almost all of your logs or forum posts...are negative or knock the way people are finding caches or that using a lifeline is cheating or sending e-mail to new cachers telling them they suck and should stop caching because they have not found as many puzzles as you think they should have. Well that takes the fun out of it and hurts people and has the potential to chase new people away from this sport/hobby. I think you need to relax and try to have fun and stop ruining the fun of others...

I'm sorry I've developed such a bad reputation with you, I'll have to try to make up for it.

(I guess that kinda rules out getting a hint on the TT cache you adopted "Quit Poking Me", huh?)

I'm sorry I've developed such a bad reputation with you, I'll have to try to make up for it.

It's like our mothers always used to tell us: "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it at all!" :( I had to quit complaining about people logging events multiple times because it created such an uproar.

(I guess that kinda rules out getting a hint on the TT cache you adopted "Quit Poking Me", huh?)

No...It is not me...What gets me is what you have done to the new cachers...by way of e-mail etc..

I think in a lot of ways you and I are alike...we say what we think.

Also I came on really strong as a newbie...I think I have mellowed a bit with time.

As far as help/hints/lifelines no one is excluded…I am available to all and if anyone needs my number...look back in the forum or e-mail me.

With that I will burry this dead horse... Have fun and Happy caching!

PS Quit Poking Me....Quit Poking Me...oh yeah that is one I solved before I adopted it! :(

Edited by GoBolts!