The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Was anyone else at the Sandcastle Competition in IB over the weekend? Thought this guy was pretty cool:

198368996_ed251759cd.jpg

Oh, and (to get back on topic) I found a benchmark which doesn't appear to be in gc.com's list. What should I do?

We were there!

I liked the one with the cards, and the ace up the sleeve!

The octopus eating the pier was pretty cool too.

55348314-85ab-4268-8d3f-d71174b1a611.jpg

Yeah, those were ok, I suppose. But for some reason, I found myself spending a lot of time looking at these sculpted lines . . .

Edited by Snake & Rooster

anyone interested in a cache event on fiesta island in the next couple of weeks? bonfire and fireworks and a nighttime only geocache adventure?????...you bring a dessert to share....calll in Come on Baby Light My Fire.....need some help setting it up. Volunteers?

Depending on the date, I could probably help....I'm busy/away the middle two weekends in August (12-13, 19-20). What time do they close the big gate onto the island?

San Diego's Consensus Favorites! :P

Miragee and I worked together to compile a list of caches that took everyone's favorite caches and combined them into one list! So it basically a consensus of the most enjoyable caches in the San Diego area! It took at least 3 votes to be included on the list. The caches are in order of those that appeared on the most favorites lists! You can see the number of favorite bookmarks a cache was on by simple subtracting the index number from 100 (thanks to TFTC for that idea!). Note that it is a work in progress. I will update the list every so often but it is a manual process so please be patient. Hopefully this list will entice everyone else to share a bookmark list of their own favorites caches in San Diego so we can include those to this list! :laughing:

P.S. Please post any needed updates here! :lol:

Edited by TrailGators

San Diego's Consensus Favorites! :P

Miragee and I worked together to compile a list of caches that took everyone's favorite caches and combined them into one one list! So it basically a consensus of the most enjoyable caches in the San Diego area! It took at least 3 votes to be included on the list. The caches are in order of those that appeared on the most favorites lists! You can see the number of favorite bookmarks a cache was on by simple subtracting the index number from 100. Note that it is a work in progress. I will update the list every so often but it is a manual process so please be patient. Hopefully this list will entice everyone to make and share a bookmark of their own favorites caches in San Diego! :laughing:

P.S. Please post any needed updates here! :lol:

Most excellent work! This post will have to be Markwelled every time someone from out of town comes along asking for the best caches in SD!

:laughing: This is cool! :lol:

(Just what I needed: another goal :P -- to find all the caches on the Consensus list... ;) )

So it basically a consensus of the most enjoyable caches in the San Diego area! It took at least 3 votes to be included on the list. The caches are in order of those that appeared on the most favorites lists! You can see the number of favorite bookmarks a cache was on by simple subtracting the index number from 100

It might be good to include the above information in the bookmark list description so that folks who encounter the list without knowing the background will know where this list comes from and what the numbers mean...

:laughing: This is cool! :lol:

(Just what I needed: another goal :P -- to find all the caches on the Consensus list... :P )

So it basically a consensus of the most enjoyable caches in the San Diego area! It took at least 3 votes to be included on the list. The caches are in order of those that appeared on the most favorites lists! You can see the number of favorite bookmarks a cache was on by simple subtracting the index number from 100

It might be good to include the above information in the bookmark list description so that folks who encounter the list without knowing the background will know where this list comes from and what the numbers mean...

Done! Thanks for the suggestion James! ;)

anyone interested in a cache event on fiesta island in the next couple of weeks? bonfire and fireworks and a nighttime only geocache adventure?????...you bring a dessert to share....calll in Come on Baby Light My Fire.....need some help setting it up. Volunteers?

I have been thinking about a event for about a month now. I would love to have a beach event Fiesta Island sounds goods. We would make it a all day event?

Aug 19-20 is good or 26-27 I would lean towards 26-27

Keep us in the loop

I think last time I checked the gate the island closed at 10pm

They have a bunch of rules listed at this web site

http://www.sandiego.gov/lifeguards/beaches/mbay.shtml

Large Groups:

The basic rule of thumb is that any gathering of over 75 people requires a permit from the Park and Recreation Department. A permit is also required for a wedding, water event, athletic event, voice and/or music amplification, or use of special setup equipment (such as an inflatable party jump, dunk tank, canopy, etc.) For permit information call Regional Parks at (619) 235-1169

I have a question for those here in the forums:

I picked up a new pocket PC last week to go completely paperless and I'm still trying to figure out the best software everyone is using.

Can you spare a couple minutes and give me some direction on what programs are best and why??

Thanks!!

Tony

I have been thinking about a event for about a month now. I would love to have a beach event Fiesta Island sounds goods. We would make it a all day event?

Aug 19-20 is good or 26-27 I would lean towards 26-27

Keep us in the loop

I think last time I checked the gate the island closed at 10pm

They have a bunch of rules listed at this web site

http://www.sandiego.gov/lifeguards/beaches/mbay.shtml

Large Groups:

The basic rule of thumb is that any gathering of over 75 people requires a permit from the Park and Recreation Department. A permit is also required for a wedding, water event, athletic event, voice and/or music amplification, or use of special setup equipment (such as an inflatable party jump, dunk tank, canopy, etc.) For permit information call Regional Parks at (619) 235-1169

Aug 26th there is an event up in Big Bear - the previous weekend is still available for a large group reservation thru the Parks website.

I picked up a new pocket PC last week to go completely paperless and I'm still trying to figure out the best software everyone is using. Can you spare a couple minutes and give me some direction on what programs are best and why??

Thanks!!

Tony

CacheMate with related math library at smittyware.com and GSAK at gsak.net. Good functionality, good support, and many knowledgeable local Geocachers that will help you through the setup process. Practically free at twenty-eight dollars for both installations.

You will also want a good mapping software such as Garmin "City Navigator North America" (MapSource) or Magellan "MapSend Topo United States." You can get these locally from REI. You will still wind up printing maps to aid your power-outings.

Edited by SD Rowdies

I picked up a new pocket PC last week to go completely paperless and I'm still trying to figure out the best software everyone is using.

Can you spare a couple minutes and give me some direction on what programs are best and why??

I used GSAK and Cachemate.

GSAK -- This runs on the PC at home (and the one at work :laughing: )It'll let you manipulate cache information anyway you want -- Filter it almost anyway you want, change the names, etc. It'll export to just about anything on the planet (GPSrs, PocketPCs, Palms, GoogleEarth, map software, etc.) It does almost everything -- which is why it's called what it's called: Geocaching Swiss Army Knife.

Cachemate -- I run this on both a Palm and a PocketPC (One is my phone, the other is the old reliable ancient Palm that I've always carried -- two different executables, but the $8 I paid for it covers both...) This is the tool I use in the field to record my logs (and to look up hints, when stumped...)

Are these the best? I have no idea. These work good enough that I stopped looking...

I used GSAK and Cachemate.

GSAK -- This runs on the PC at home (and the one at work :laughing: )It'll let you manipulate cache information anyway you want -- Filter it almost anyway you want, change the names, etc. It'll export to just about anything on the planet (GPSrs, PocketPCs, Palms, GoogleEarth, map software, etc.) It does almost everything -- which is why it's called what it's called: Geocaching Swiss Army Knife.

Cachemate -- I run this on both a Palm and a PocketPC (One is my phone, the other is the old reliable ancient Palm that I've always carried -- two different executables, but the $8 I paid for it covers both...) This is the tool I use in the field to record my logs (and to look up hints, when stumped...)

Are these the best? I have no idea. These work good enough that I stopped looking...

Everyone uses these! You would have plenty of advisors if you went that route! :laughing:

Thanks!!

Tony

For PocketPC, try GPXSonar. It is free and uses IE to display the cache pages, exactly as they appear on the webpage. You can use GSAK to send a PQ directly to the PocketPC.

Hey folks, I would like to extend an invitation to an interested geocacher. I have a Wilderness camping permit for Thursday, Aug 10 (Thursday-Friday is my weekend) at Round Valley in the Mt San Jacinto Wilderness State Park for two. My hiking partner had to cancel. I am still going and if there is a backpacking cacher in the area who would care to join me I would enjoy the company. I am going to take the Tramway ($21.95 up and down) to Long Valley, overnight in Round Valley, up to the summit the next morning, then back down Friday afternoon. I will be looking for about 15 caches in Palm Springs, at the Tram Station, in the Wilderness area, and at the summit. You will need to provide your own gear and Tram fare. I can provide transportation to and from the Tram. If anyone is interested go to my profile and send me an email.

Note: I am not too proficient in Forum use. I mistakenly started this as a new topic but I wanted to post it to the San Diego Thread. I see I messed up, so here is the San Diego Thread post also.

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to post on this thread. I have been reading these post for a few weeks now, and you guys are so funny. I am sort of new to San Diego, and I have way too much free time while I'm searching for a job. Do any groups go caching during the week?

Just wanted to say hi,

Mandi

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to post on this thread. I have been reading these post for a few weeks now, and you guys are so funny. I am sort of new to San Diego, and I have way too much free time while I'm searching for a job. Do any groups go caching during the week?

Yep, plenty of people do! Check out the San Diego Cache Events thread to see when people are next getting together, or post a message yourself to set something up. A lot of the regulars have probably found lots of caches you haven't got to yet, but will still want to go out anyway...

Hi,

Just wanted to say hi,

Mandi

Hi Mandi! Check out this thread for group caching!

Edit: I really need to improve my typing speed! :):)

Edited by TrailGators

Hi,

Just wanted to say hi,

Mandi

Hi Mandi

Welcome to San Diego. We sometimes get together to grab a few caches. Your profile says we, Is it a multiple personalty thing? We wouldn't want to offend one of them by not inviting them too. :)

What part of San Diego?

We're doing Pt. Loma and the bay area this week end.

Hi,

Just wanted to say hi,

Mandi

Hi Mandi

Welcome to San Diego. We sometimes get together to grab a few caches. Your profile says we, Is it a multiple personalty thing? We wouldn't want to offend one of them by not inviting them too. :)

What part of San Diego?

We're doing Pt. Loma and the bay area this week end.

I'm sure more us us will be doing another area since we've cleared out Point Loma. Last I heard we were going to maybe do Black Beard's Grotto up in La Jolla........Ahem! :)

Hi,

Just wanted to say hi,

Mandi

Your profile says "we," so is that a multiple-personality thing? We wouldn't want to offend one of them by not inviting them too. :lol:

What part of San Diego?

Yeah, who's "we," and are you "Taco" or "Nacho" or both? Inquiring minds want to know.

Furthermore you simply must post some photos on your profile page or in your Geocaching gallery. How th' heck do you expect us to haze you into the SD Geocaching scene without some personal photos to distort?

O, I almost forgot, do you bake?

Trust us,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
I thought BBG was out because of positive tides and the times of low tides.

Or do I think too much :blink: ?

Low tide is at 5PM. The water is currently 74 degrees + and we have bathing suits, GPSs and ziplock bags! :blink:

:):lol: Really??? It's a go???? Which day?

How did this get posted over here? Moving it over to the Events thread... Edited by TrailGators

Hi,

Just wanted to say hi,

Mandi

Your profile says "we," so is that a multiple-personality thing? We wouldn't want to offend one of them by not inviting them too. :lol:

What part of San Diego?

Yeah, who's "we," and are you "Taco" or "Nacho" or both? Inquiring minds want to know.

Furthermore you simply must post some photos on your profile page or in your Geocaching gallery. How th' heck do you expect us to haze you into the SD Geocaching scene without some personal photos to distort?

Trust us,

Harmon

Sometimes I have multiple-personalities, but in this case "we" refers to my boyfriend Vy and I. I guess I'm Taco and he's Nacho. Since I'm bored and have no job, I should start baking...any requests?

Until I post pics in the gallery,you're just going to have to wonder.

Mandi and Vy

Hi,

Just wanted to say hi,

Mandi

What part of San Diego?

Trust us,

Harmon

Sometimes I have multiple-personalities, but in this case "we" refers to my boyfriend Vy and I. I guess I'm Taco and he's Nacho. Since I'm bored and have no job, I should start baking...any requests? Until I post pics in the gallery,you're just going to have to wonder.

Mandi and Vy

Going to have to wonder eh? Hey everybody, we've got another live one here.

Apparently the Geobabes and I just missed you at Oenophilia #1 last week.

Baking requests? You're asking me of all people? Anybody want to tell her before I do?

Welcome to our world, we all look forward to meeting you. Keep an eye out for local events.

Harmon

SD Rowdies and

Sandy Creek Cowboys

Flagman got the word out about your favorite desert.

Hey! Maybe we need an event just for Harmon....a kind of 'bake - off' dessert event. Actually, it would be kind of fun. :lol:

5ec9d005-fb83-4d7c-ab4c-fdeac581d11a.jpg

Hey, you know what I'd really like to do?

Say wha'?

I feel like makin' a cake

Ooh wah what kind of cake do you want?

Umm, how about ... pineapple upside-down cake?

Yea, uh huh. I swear.

You got a pan the right size?

A pan?

It says in this cookbook it takes a long time to rise.

I read that. Now, beware.

Let's get this thing in the oven.

(Honk if you can name the group.)

Edited by SD Rowdies

Flagman got the word out about your favorite desert.

Hey! Maybe we need an event just for Harmon....a kind of 'bake - off' dessert event. Actually, it would be kind of fun. :lol:

5ec9d005-fb83-4d7c-ab4c-fdeac581d11a.jpg

Hey, you know what I'd really like to do?

Say wha'?

I feel like makin' a cake

Ooh wah what kind of cake do you want?

Umm, how about ... pineapple upside-down cake?

Yea, uh huh. I swear.

You got a pan the right size?

A pan?

It says in this cookbook it takes a long time to rise.

I read that. Now, beware.

Let's get this thing in the oven.

(Honk if you can name the group.)

HONK!!!!!!

B52s

Going to have to wonder eh? Hey everybody, we've got another live one here.

Apparently the Geobabes and I just missed you at Oenophilia #1 last week.

Baking requests? You're asking me of all people? Anybody want to tell her before I do?

Welcome to our world, we all look forward to meeting you. Keep an eye out for local events.

Harmon

SD Rowdies and

Sandy Creek Cowboys

That's probably a good thing since it was Vy's first time and I'm not very stealthy. We only went because it's right by school and we stop in for a drink sometimes. :D We are thinking of going up to Huntington for the Beach Blanket event next month, we'll see.

Mandi and Vy

Just a short note to let anyone thats interested We are in San Quintin Baja about 400 miles south of the border and enjoying the heck out of life down here. :lol:

Havent found any WiFi hotspots so we are using a internet cafe :D The surf fishing is fantastic and the pismo clams can almost be picked up without looking for them . LIFE IS QREAT

Wow, seems like only yesterday we were watching the odometer click over on 10k posts! Now 10,100 is almost here. Is it possible for us to come up with a NEW top of page image?!? :P

The Buddha is new...

193,327 Views :D and only 10,096 replies. :D Whats up with that?? Come on you Viewers start making some replies. Don't be afraid, some of us don't bite, :lol: but then again Harmon is harmless I hope!!! :lol: Isn't he??? :lol:

SKILLET

Wow, seems like only yesterday we were watching the odometer click over on 10k posts! Now 10,100 is almost here. Is it possible for us to come up with a NEW top of page image?!? :D

The Buddha is new...

193,327 Views :P and only 10,096 replies. :lol: Whats up with that?? Come on you Viewers start making some replies. Don't be afraid, some of us don't bite, :lol: but then again Harmon is harmless I hope!!! :lol: Isn't he??? :P

SKILLET

Harmon is perfectly harmless.....

f0ff3242-96fa-4a36-9248-1e11d936bb6b.jpg

Edit: I'm surprised that Harmon doesn't have pineapple rings around his eyes after eating one of a favorite cakes! :D BTW here is another possible picture to start a new thread page with! :D

Edited by TrailGators

193,327 Views :D and only 10,096 replies. :D Whats up with that?? Come on you Viewers start making some replies. Don't be afraid, some of us don't bite, :lol: but then again Harmon is harmless I hope!!! :lol: Isn't he??? :P

SKILLET

ok then. this is a reply.

:lol: