The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I survived my surgery and am now at home recovering. It didn't go as planned. My gallbladder was inflammed and was full off stones, the ultrasound showed it to be fine and two stones. Any how they had to cut me open to remove it. So maybe I can make a chain with the staples in my side as a travel bug. They wouldn't let me have the stones. So i'm stuck at 955. Mybe I can get out next weekend and get my numbers up. :rolleyes::anitongue::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Hey, get well soon. Sounds like you had some "fun." As far as your numbers are concerned just ask the puzzle-cache fudgers to sign you into the logbooks for the puzzles they "solved." :ph34r:

I'll do that for my 1000th find. :ph34r:

IS THERE ANYPLACE OUT THERE TODAY THAT IT ISN'T HOT :):(

SKILLET

PS

Get well soon John :);)

Wussie! Of course today, I'm paying the price, and still limping.

Gecko Dad did an 11-mile hike at MTRP in triple digits last Saturday.

John, do you need a list of wheelchair accessible caches? :)

I survived my surgery and am now at home recovering. It didn't go as planned. My gallbladder was inflammed and was full off stones, the ultrasound showed it to be fine and two stones. Any how they had to cut me open to remove it. So maybe I can make a chain with the staples in my side as a travel bug. They wouldn't let me have the stones. So i'm stuck at 955. Mybe I can get out next weekend and get my numbers up.

Sorry to hear that things didn't go as planned but we hope your recovery is quick and that you'll soon be back out racking up those smileys! :)

I survived my surgery and am now at home recovering. It didn't go as planned. My gallbladder was inflammed and was full off stones, the ultrasound showed it to be fine and two stones. Any how they had to cut me open to remove it. So maybe I can make a chain with the staples in my side as a travel bug. They wouldn't let me have the stones. So i'm stuck at 955. Mybe I can get out next weekend and get my numbers up.

:);):P:):):P:(:)

Hope you're soon fully recovered. Just sit and take it easy, hope you have air conditioning!!

ttfn

Jane

IS THERE ANYPLACE OUT THERE TODAY THAT IT ISN'T HOT :P:)

SKILLET

PS

Get well soon John :);)

John, do you need a list of wheelchair accessible caches? :(

What the heck were you thinking, middle of the summer, out in the desert, triple digit weather, by yourself, Doesn't the BP find bodies out there this time of year??? :) At least you made it back. :P When I go out to my place this time of year I'm there for 20 Min's or so and then back in the A/C of the truck. Just to darn hot!! :):)

SKILLET

IS THERE ANYPLACE OUT THERE TODAY THAT IT ISN'T HOT :):)

SKILLET

PS

Get well soon John :P:D

John, do you need a list of wheelchair accessible caches? :)

What the heck were you thinking, middle of the summer, out in the desert, triple digit weather, by yourself, Doesn't the BP find bodies out there this time of year??? :( At least you made it back. :) When I go out to my place this time of year I'm there for 20 Min's or so and then back in the A/C of the truck. Just to darn hot!! :D:P

SKILLET

:);):P CHUY! CHUY! CHUY! At least Ginger was smart enough to stay home in the A/C. Glad you didn't get a DNF! The difference between you and Gecko Dad is that he ia a lizard silly..he's made for the desert!!!

Sorry to hear that things didn't go as planned but we hope your recovery is quick and that you'll soon be back out racking up those smileys! :(

:):)Sorry to hear about the little complication John. That's like going in for a filling and getting a root canal..ouch! Take it easy and do what the Doc says. Those caches will all be there when you get better. :);)

:blink:B):)B):rolleyes:B):):anibad:

Just sending out a GET WELL soon and a speedy recovery to you.

Edited by The Dillon Gang

Has anyone else has been doing the weekly puzzles on the online Treasure Hunter's Challenge?

Yep, my daugher and I do them each week. They're pretty fun, we keep guessing where the treasure is, but haven't got it right yet. :rolleyes:

Oh, Splashman and I were out doing Otay Mtn. today and we saw the fire around 9:30 when it wasn't so big.

We came back across Lyon's Valley Rd. on the way home and stopped and took a few pics. We couldn't go any further because they had the road blocked at Barret Honor Camp. The fire was just up on the ridge behind it, burning like crazy. Our friends, Team Gypsies....or Floyd & Georgene for those of you who know them, left an hour ago to evacuate their elderly aunt and family in Lake Morena. I guess the fire is burning up Hauser Canyon towards them. The evac. wasn't mandatory, but when you're dealing with older folks, it's best to be on the safe side of things.

Splashette

Has anyone else has been doing the weekly puzzles on the online Treasure Hunter's Challenge?

Yep, my daugher and I do them each week. They're pretty fun, we keep guessing where the treasure is, but haven't got it right yet. :rolleyes: Splashette

They are fun to do! I guessed for the first time tonight after playing with the puzzle pieces for awhile. When I submitted my guess I had to fill out a form. Is that what happens to you?

As some of you may have heard, wise-guy is leaving town. In preparation for going, he has archived his "As the Crow Flies" series. I've been in touch with him and he said that he didn't have time to replace the two caches that are missing (and disabled) and, also, given the confusion that many cachers have had with the series, he felt that it was best to archive them. Now having said that, he also said that if someone was willing to do the maintanance needed and to respond to the confused (as needed) he would be willing to pass them along.

Any interest?

As some of you may have heard, wise-guy is leaving town. In preparation for going, he has archived his "As the Crow Flies" series. I've been in touch with him and he said that he didn't have time to replace the two caches that are missing (and disabled) and, also, given the confusion that many cachers have had with the series, he felt that it was best to archive them. Now having said that, he also said that if someone was willing to do the maintanance needed and to respond to the confused (as needed) he would be willing to pass them along.

Any interest?

I got the same email from him. I already responded that I would be willing to take them. (of course I thought I offered that in my first email :)).

I think duganrm volunteered to take over the series. :)
So did James. Since there are four caches maybe they could split them 2 and 2. Also James has done the series so he knows where the missing caches are supposed to go. I could help Richard replace them too since I have done the series. Anyhow, thanks to James and Richard for contacting wiseguy to revive this fun series! Edited by TrailGators
So did James. Since there are four caches maybe they could split them 2 and 2. Also James has done the series so he knows where the missing caches are supposed to go. I could help Richard replace them too since I have done the series. Anyhow, thanks to James and Richard for contacting wiseguy to revive this fun series!

Since my primary objective is to see that this series continues, I have no objection if Richard wants to take all four. I am willing to help, though. So if that means taking two of them or helping Richard to restablish the missing ones, I stand ready.

So did James. Since there are four caches maybe they could split them 2 and 2. Also James has done the series so he knows where the missing caches are supposed to go. I could help Richard replace them too since I have done the series. Anyhow, thanks to James and Richard for contacting wiseguy to revive this fun series!

Since my primary objective is to see that this series continues, I have no objection if Richard wants to take all four. I am willing to help, though. So if that means taking two of them or helping Richard to restablish the missing ones, I stand ready.

Not to dampen the enthusiasm, but the preferred approach for most caches that have gone missing and have been archived is to replace them with an entirely new listing. I know the Sea-To-Sea Challenge series has been treated a little differently because of its historical value and the fact that there are 25-caches in a series. But generally speaking, caches that have been muggled and then archived should stay that way if the cache owner has left town or gone inactive. This frees up the location for a brand new cache placement. Since this series was such a hit, perhaps it would be better for its fans to re-create it rather than trying to resurrect it...

Not to dampen the enthusiasm, but the preferred approach for most caches that have gone missing and have been archived is to replace them with an entirely new listing. I know the Sea-To-Sea Challenge series has been treated a little differently because of its historical value and the fact that there are 25-caches in a series. But generally speaking, caches that have been muggled and then archived should stay that way if the cache owner has left town or gone inactive. This frees up the location for a brand new cache placement. Since this series was such a hit, perhaps it would be better for its fans to re-create it rather than trying to resurrect it...

Good idea Marko! Criss-Cross is still there so you could leave that one because it was fun to solve! Anyhow, I'd be willing to participate in a new extended series by placing a new "As the Cow Flies" cache somewhere with you other guys... B)

Edited by TrailGators

It's not quite dead yet...so I'm not sure that it's fair to characterize this as a resurrection...

That said, one of things that made this series fun was the writing -- the crow's conversations and thought processes. So regardless of what happens, there are two things that are very important, in my mind, for the series to go forward:

1. wise-guy agrees to it (it wouldn't feel right to just appropriate his ideas...)
  2. Any changes or additions to the series should remain faithful to the original character of the series.

So, perhaps Richard, Pat and I should figure how we want to proceed and then work it out with wise-guy (offline).

Next topic...?

It's not quite dead yet...so I'm not sure that it's fair to characterize this as a resurrection...

That said, one of things that made this series fun was the writing -- the crow's conversations and thought processes. So regardless of what happens, there are two things that are very important, in my mind, for the series to go forward:

1. wise-guy agrees to it (it wouldn't feel right to just appropriate his ideas...)
  2. Any changes or additions to the series should remain faithful to the original character of the series.

So, perhaps Richard, Pat and I should figure how we want to proceed and then work it out with wise-guy (offline).

Next topic...?

I think both can be accomplished. I have some new olive drab ammo cans that we could use to upgrade the containers. We could also find some slightly better locations for a couple of the waypoints. I always thought it would have been cool if the waypoints had been farther apart like some other famous caches around here. The concept could be kept in tact and Wiseguy's would be included in the credits. But if you really want to restore it exactly as it was then I'll use my ammo boxes for another series. Anyhow, it's up to you guys. Let me know if you need my help. :)

Edited by TrailGators
I think duganrm volunteered to take over the series. :(

Correct! Here's a thread with some additional information:

How do I Adopt Ownership of a Geocache?

PW

I think duganrm volunteered to take over the series. :D

Good idea Marko! Criss-Cross is still there so you could leave that one because it was fun to solve! Anyhow, I'd be willing to participate in a new extended series by placing a new "As the Cow Flies" cache somewhere with you other guys... :P

Bummer. I am agreeing with the nostalgic group to "resurrect" it. It's only been archived a few days and only 'cause the owner did not realize other cachers would be interested in adopting it. I like the idea of adopting/"resurrecting" it 'cause it its originality qualities are retained and provides a sense of accomplishment for the original hider. To me it cheapens the caching experience to go back and re-find the same cache but with a new GC #.

I think duganrm volunteered to take over the series. :D

Good idea Marko! Criss-Cross is still there so you could leave that one because it was fun to solve! Anyhow, I'd be willing to participate in a new extended series by placing a new "As the Cow Flies" cache somewhere with you other guys... :P

Bummer. I am agreeing with the nostalgic group to "resurrect" it. It's only been archived a few days and only 'cause the owner did not realize other cachers would be interested in adopting it. I like the idea of adopting/"resurrecting" it 'cause it its originality qualities are retained and provides a sense of accomplishment for the original hider. To me it cheapens the caching experience to go back and re-find the same cache but with a new GC #.

After thinking about it some more I agree with you Chuy. I think maintaining the better caches in the area is a good idea.

After thinking about it some more I agree with you Chuy. I think maintaining the better caches in the area is a good idea.

I'm just interested in the flying cows! Flying pigs are *so* 20th century.

:o:D:D

I am curious about this new "As the Cow Flies" series. Would there need to be a catapult in the story? :D:D

Good idea Marko! Criss-Cross is still there so you could leave that one because it was fun to solve! Anyhow, I'd be willing to participate in a new extended series by placing a new "As the Cow Flies" cache somewhere with you other guys... :o

I'm just interested in the flying cows! Flying pigs are *so* 20th century.

:D:P:D

We could also do a Pigs on the Wing series! :o

I am curious about this new "As the Cow Flies" series. Would there need to be a catapult in the story? :D:D

p184731c.jpg

Fetchez la vache!

Quoi?

Fetchez la vache!!!

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
Good idea Marko! Criss-Cross is still there so you could leave that one because it was fun to solve! Anyhow, I'd be willing to participate in a new extended series by placing a new "As the Cow Flies" cache somewhere with you other guys... :o

I am curious about this new "As the Cow Flies" series. Would there need to be a catapult in the story? :o:D

p184731c.jpg

Chercher la vache!!!

Did Mr. Bill have a cow? :P:D